PDA

View Full Version : The citadel @ chattanooga

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Everything, EVERYTHING, is riding on this game for Chattanooga. There's quite a bit on the line for the Citadel as well.

I don't think old chattown's spirit can survive a loss in this game. I will be a broken man.

Smitty
November 10th, 2015, 06:58 AM
For some reason it bothers me that the Cs in the title are not capitalized.

Either way this week is going to be crazy for both teams. I hate that the SoCon is looking like a 1 bid league.

dewey
November 10th, 2015, 07:21 AM
I hate that the SoCon is looking like a 1 bid league.

At 7-2 if Chattanooga loses this game with Florida State looming they would be 7-4 with a win over D2 Mars Hill they could be out. The Citadel could be if they were to lose but they have South Carolina looing buyt The Citadel did not have any D2 games. It is crazy to think that the SoCon could very well be a 1 bid league but IMHO I think they still get The Citadel and Chattanooga into the playoffs.

Dewey

MR. CHICKEN
November 10th, 2015, 07:32 AM

Either way this week is going to be crazy for both teams. I hate that the SoCon is looking like a 1 bid league.

...IT'S DUH DREADED SHIFT KEY........DO LIKE DUH CHICKEN.....CAPS LOCK.........AH'M NOT YELLIN'.......JES' LOAFIN'......;).....FIRE BRAWK!

CID1990
November 10th, 2015, 07:50 AM
If The Citadel loses we probably get an at large anyway.

I've seen a lot of talk about Chatty not getting a bid if they lose. I'm not sure what would happen there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catamount87
November 10th, 2015, 08:22 AM
My thought is both get in, they've earned it. I still think Citadel is better than their #20 ranking and Chat is about right now. That's a hell of a game looming for sure.

walliver
November 10th, 2015, 09:14 AM
If The Citadel loses we probably get an at large anyway.

I've seen a lot of talk about Chatty not getting a bid if they lose. I'm not sure what would happen there.

I doubt there is much chance of a 6 D-I win Chattanooga team making the playoffs. The closest they would have to a signature win is beating Western Carolina. They also have decisive victories over FU and Sammy, but both of those teams are significantly underperforming this year. Without a signature win, the Mocs will be on the wrong side of the bubble.

If the Mocs lose this weekend, they will need to beat FSU to get an at-large.

On a side note, I think Mars Hill would kick Davidson's ass - but, the rules are what they are.

smallcollegefbfan
November 10th, 2015, 09:34 AM
At 7-2 if Chattanooga loses this game with Florida State looming they would be 7-4 with a win over D2 Mars Hill they could be out. The Citadel could be if they were to lose but they have South Carolina looing buyt The Citadel did not have any D2 games. It is crazy to think that the SoCon could very well be a 1 bid league but IMHO I think they still get The Citadel and Chattanooga into the playoffs.

Dewey

Citadel is the one surprise but a lot of us said either them or Samford could crash the party with UTC and WCU. I do think UTC, Citadel, and WCU are all worthy of a playoff spot but sadly the auto bids will prevent all 3 from getting in. If UTC can hit 8 wins and Citadel hits 8 wins then I think the league will get 2 in the playoffs for sure.

Smitty
November 10th, 2015, 09:35 AM
With the way the SoCon has been ranked all year (weak), does UTC or Cit drop out of the top 25 with a loss?

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2015, 09:42 AM
what is The Citadel calling the Single Wing 1947 offense they are running? Not that I don't like it....

superman7515
November 10th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Both schools are known for little c's.

CID1990
November 10th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I doubt there is much chance of a 6 D-I win Chattanooga team making the playoffs. The closest they would have to a signature win is beating Western Carolina. They also have decisive victories over FU and Sammy, but both of those teams are significantly underperforming this year. Without a signature win, the Mocs will be on the wrong side of the bubble.

If the Mocs lose this weekend, they will need to beat FSU to get an at-large.

On a side note, I think Mars Hill would kick Davidson's ass - but, the rules are what they are.

We needed the extra game and got Davidson- if you're looking for an OOC FCS game and the only available team within a bus ride away is Davidson, then you play Davidson.

Fortunately we'll have an opportunity to make Davidson moot over the next two weeks.

Catamount87
November 10th, 2015, 06:14 PM
It's been said before but Mars Hill, a D2 team, was probably stronger competition than Davidson. But when it comes to things like rankings and playoff selections, that doesn't matter.

CID1990
November 10th, 2015, 07:55 PM
It's been said before but Mars Hill, a D2 team, was probably stronger competition than Davidson. But when it comes to things like rankings and playoff selections, that doesn't matter.

yeah I'm aware of all the mars hill vs davidson commentary

we've lost to a FBS, a top 10 FCS, and we are undefeated in the SoCon with one game left to play. Im biased but I believe we have earned an at large bid up to this point

The Citadel isn't responsible for UTC's backs being against the wall - they lost a game they were supposed to win

chattownmocs
November 11th, 2015, 12:34 AM

we've lost to a FBS, a top 10 FCS, and we are undefeated in the SoCon with one game left to play. Im biased but I believe we have earned an at large bid up to this point

The Citadel isn't responsible for UTC's backs being against the wall - they lost a game they were supposed to win

You aren't responsible but it is your problem.

JSUSoutherner
November 11th, 2015, 12:53 AM
Chattanooga played JSU to a great game. They lost to a great Mercer team who I believe is better than their record. Personally, I think Chattanooga will get the W this weekend since the game since its in Chattanooga. If Chattanooga wins they are both in. If Chattanooga loses and can't pull the FSU upset it will be a close decision. With the various other 7-D1-win teams outside looking in it will take a lot of luck.

CID1990
November 11th, 2015, 06:07 AM
You aren't responsible but it is your problem.

It isn't a problem at all- we beat you, we get the autobid. We lose, and we have one of the strongest arguments for a 7-4 at large bid. I could be wrong, but I like our chances for postseason play.

Toby
November 11th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Chattanooga lost to a great Mercer team who I believe is better than their record.

Now thats what I'm talking about!

longtimemocfan
November 11th, 2015, 01:35 PM

Couldn't agree more. As it stands Mercer is Huesman's first loss to a team that finished below .500 in the conference standings. Good thing is we have played very well at home. All lopsided conference wins. I think just because of the 7 D1 wins The Citadel has a better chance in a loss to get in the playoffs.

ElCid
November 12th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Can Saturday get here any sooner? I was all set to make the road trip up to Chatty until my wife reminded me of a previous commitment. Crap! The Citadel will have a huge presence on the road, yet again. The Knobs are traveling! I would not be surprised of 2-3000 Bulldog fans showing up. Sorry I am going to miss it in person, but at least it will be on the SOCON network. Should be a good one. There is no doubt that the Dogs are for real and they could easily win. But Chatty's back is against the wall and I think they will be pretty tough and well prepared. At this point I think it is a toss up. It will be interesting to see which defense is better prepared. I still think UTC is in the running for a playoff spot regardless of a loss. It obviously depends on how the rest of the field does the next 2 weeks. If the other bubble teams can get some distance then maybe not. If it is a crapshoot with huge numbers at 6-4 (with a Div II win) and 7-4 and it comes down to a fight over SOS, then there is obviously a better chance. Is it Saturday yet......

Sandlapper Spike
November 13th, 2015, 11:50 AM
It looks like I-20 and I-75 are going to be packed with cars (and buses) headed west and north today and tomorrow morning...

melloware13
November 13th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Same thing kept UD out in 2011, even though West Chester (who we played) was better than Delaware State (who we didn't). Easiest ways to not have the DII game come back to bite at the end are to win the conference or win 7 DI games. As for TC@UTC, I'm leaning towards El Cid because of UTC's loss to Mercer.

ElCid
November 13th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Same thing kept UD out in 2011, even though West Chester (who we played) was better than Delaware State (who we didn't). Easiest ways to not have the DII game come back to bite at the end are to win the conference or win 7 DI games. As for TC@UTC, I'm leaning towards El Cid because of UTC's loss to Mercer.

That would seem to be the conventional wisdom but, and I am biting my tongue, Mercer is better than would be supposed. Every loss they have is by a score or less and they have gotten better as the season progressed. We beat them at home by 2. Chatty lost to them by 3 in Macon. I have no doubt that we both played down (not to Mercer, but from our potential) because it was that time of season. We had had three lights out games, and we were due for a slump. I still have no doubt that UTC may have been looking ahead. Neither of us could afford to do so against Mercer. We did the same thing (almost sleepwalking) against VMI this past week. If we do it again this week, UTC will win by 20 points.

Bronco
November 13th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Here's hoping the Citadel can pull off the win tomorrow.

kdinva
November 14th, 2015, 02:47 PM
ElCid cuts the defecit to 24-14, 2:10 in the 3rd....

kdinva
November 14th, 2015, 03:10 PM
UTC responds w/a TD drive, 31-14, 7:43 to go in the 4th. UTC with 470 yards of offense.....

kdinva
November 14th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Citadel turns it over on downs.....5:15 to go......

kdinva
November 14th, 2015, 03:19 PM
but, UTC fumbles is back to the dogs.....

kdinva
November 14th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Citadel with a short FG, 31-17, 3:07 to go......onside kick coming....

kdinva
November 14th, 2015, 03:26 PM
....and UTC recovers the onside kick, and returns it inside the dogs' 20.

kdinva
November 14th, 2015, 03:30 PM
UTC misses a short FG, 1:50 to go.....Dogs out of time outs..

kdinva
November 14th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Dogs score as the clock reaches 0000 Mocs win 31-23, and the auto bid.....

AshevilleApp2
November 14th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Congratulations UTC. Both teams should make the playoffs now.

CID1990
November 14th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Great job by UTC- they played near perfect ball.

Man I would love to have just TWO plays back in that game!

The last time we played UTC and the Gamecocks in back to back games was in 1990. We lost to UTC and beat the Gamecocks.

Here's hoping for a repeat on the 25th anniversary!

catamount man
November 14th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Congrats to both schools. Good luck in the playoffs.

ElCid
November 14th, 2015, 04:01 PM
The thing I really like about the Dogs was the never say die attitude. They remained a threat. Their aggressiveness got them in trouble occasionally, but I will take that. A couple big plays back and it might have gone the other way. Now we really need to put it the Gamecocks.

CID1990
November 14th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Congratulations UTC. Both teams should make the playoffs now.

Us losing to UTC was the only way the SoCon was going to have a shot at getting 2 teams in-

but I'm not convinced we won't get Woffed. There's no respect for El Cid (yet) in FCS circles - our movement in the polls is evidence of that.

We've got to show up next week and play USC close and then maybe we'll be in.

OrangeAndBlack
November 14th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Congrats to UTC for winning the conference, and to The Citadel for an awesome season. Both deserving of the playoffs xthumbsupx

AshevilleApp2
November 14th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Us losing to UTC was the only way the SoCon was going to have a shot at getting 2 teams in-

but I'm not convinced we won't get Woffed. There's no respect for El Cid (yet) in FCS circles - our movement in the polls is evidence of that.

We've got to show up next week and play USC close and then maybe we'll be in.

If you don't get in, you'll be jobbed.

CID1990
November 14th, 2015, 04:33 PM
If you don't get in, you'll be jobbed.

Either way, I think we have served notice on the SoCon. Our team is young, great new talent is in the wings, and our coach is the real deal. I'm glad we are coming out of the long night finally.

OrangeAndBlack
November 14th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Either way, I think we have served notice on the SoCon. Our team is young, great new talent is in the wings, and our coach is the real deal. I'm glad we are coming out of the long night finally.

I agree with AshevilleApp2... The Citadel is more than deserving of a playoff spot.

Milktruck74
November 15th, 2015, 08:12 AM
"That's a really good football team," Huesman said of the Bulldogs. "They deserve to be co-champions. And their coach, Mike Houston, deserves to be coach of the year."

SoCon gets two in.....I'm not sure even a destroying of the Keydets gets WCU an invite....sadly, if that holds true, there will be at least 3-5 teams that aren't as good as WCU that make the playoffs. I think the SoCon took a big step in the right direction this year and if we do the same next year, we should see three playoff slots.

CID1990
November 15th, 2015, 09:13 AM
"That's a really good football team," Huesman said of the Bulldogs. "They deserve to be co-champions. And their coach, Mike Houston, deserves to be coach of the year."

SoCon gets two in.....I'm not sure even a destroying of the Keydets gets WCU an invite....sadly, if that holds true, there will be at least 3-5 teams that aren't as good as WCU that make the playoffs. I think the SoCon took a big step in the right direction this year and if we do the same next year, we should see three playoff slots.

You are correct that WCU will be better than a few at large teams this year- and a couple autobids

catamount man
November 15th, 2015, 10:34 AM

It is from scheduling. 1 D2 seems to hurt us and multiple FBS teams seem to hurt us. 30 years of incompetent athletics leadership in Cullowhee has led to this. But in the Belcher-Eaton-Speir era, the worm is turning and we'll be in the playoffs sooner than later. GO CATS!!!