PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts vs. Appalachian

Pages : [1] 2

BigApp
December 9th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Discuss :thumbsup:

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 06:20 PM
UMass will win because they have a much much much better defense than YSU. most of the teams that have played App have scored. you need to slow down(i dont think you can stop them) the offense. I think it will be close in the first half and UMass will be able to take control in the second half. doesnt mean it will be a blowout but i think umass by 6

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2006, 06:29 PM
UMass will win because they have a much much much better defense than YSU. most of the teams that have played App have scored. you need to slow down(i dont think you can stop them) the offense. I think it will be close in the first half and UMass will be able to take control in the second half. doesnt mean it will be a blowout but i think umass by 6

ASU will win because they have a much much much better offense than Montana. Baylark will not be able to do it all himself this time. UMass will need to complete some passes to take pressure off of him and they will need to complete them against an awesome secondary and looking at how bad Mass' passing game was, I don't think they will get it done.

I don't see Baylark as being much better than Mason and ASU proved they could contain him. Their passing games are also comparable.

ASU by 10 or so, unless they just fall apart.

UMass922
December 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Appalachian State 28
Massachusetts 27

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 06:34 PM
first off i think Umass will be able to score because most teams have had some success against App. it comes down to slowing down the offense. also Montana and App both have very good defenses there is no reason for baylark not to have a good game. also it seems that most of the DBs for App are on the small side but app does have great safeties. speed will not be a difference both teams are fast.

Black Saturday
December 9th, 2006, 06:35 PM

The Anti APP Association members of this board have been saying stuff like this the last three weeks. I guess they'll one more chance to learn. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Sam Adams
December 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I love folks continuing to underestimate UMASS. Hilarious. See you in Chatty Appy. :smiley_wi

FlyYtown
December 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Appy State: 28
UMass: 17
FINAL

APPY is the best team hands down in the CS.... UMass fans, don't take that personal... but they are what they are.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM
first off i think Umass will be able to score because most teams have had some success against App. it comes down to slowing down the offense. also Montana and App both have very good defenses there is no reason for baylark not to have a good game. also it seems that most of the DBs for App are on the small side but app does have great safeties. speed will not be a difference both teams are fast.

Size does not matter. Why do people like to talk about how big players are? Richardson and Edwards are two small people that have been busting through thick boxes all season long. Also GSU's Jayson Foster and Jermaine Austin duo were two very small guys that were very productive last year.

Mason may not be quite as good as Baylark, but he has still been the heart of YSU's running-based offense that got them to the semis this year and ASU did a good job of stopping him and forcing YSU to pass.

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM
The Anti APP Association members of this board have been saying stuff like this the last three weeks. I guess they'll one more chance to learn. :bang: :bang: :bang:

im not anti app im pro UMass. i wont be surprised at all if App wins, im just saying that i believe UMass has the defense capable of SLOWING down App and i believe that UMass will be able to score. hence my pick of umass by 6

CSUBUCDAD
December 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Much of ASU's success will depend on Richardson being able to play next week. It should be very very close even if he does not. I like ASU by 3.

MinuteFan
December 9th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I think after this weekend we can all agree on one thing....the best two teams are playing the final game. I think it is going to be a close game. Appy has been putting up a lot of points, but UMass has not given up more than 21 all year, including Navy and UNH twice. With the athletes Appy has on offense, they are bound to break some plays. But they will not be able to do it on the ground alone. Edwards will have to make some throws. He is a scary looking player back there, and hopefully the UMass experience against Ricky Santos will help to prepare them. On offense, UMass has great balance, more than Appy has seen yet. Coen made a few bad throws against the Griz, but that was out of character and probably affected by the weather and crowd noise in Montana. Our wide outs are good and a lot bigger than the Appy d-backs. Both teams should be confident after the Mountaineers destroyed YSU and UMass came out of Griz country with a big win against all kinds of odds. No prediction from me other than a great game. See you in Chatty!

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Size does not matter. Why do people like to talk about how big players are? Richardson and Edwards are two small people that have been busting through thick boxes all season long. Also GSU's Jayson Foster and Jermaine Austin duo were two very small guys that were very productive last year.

Mason may not be quite as good as Baylark, but he has still been the heart of YSU's running-based offense that got them to the semis this year and ASU did a good job of stopping him and forcing YSU to pass.

im not talking about the app corners who have to guard all the big umass receivers. i was not mentioning the app offense. but when you are 5'7 trying to guard 6'4 thats a mismatch.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I think Appalachian's running threat will be the difference. If App can hold on to the ball, and control the clock, I think App's defense will contain UMass, not shut them all the way down. I look for App to win, but it will be a darn close game.

Cobblestone
December 9th, 2006, 06:56 PM
It should be a good one. I don't think Baylark will run wild against these guys. Appalachian State didn't give up a lot of points this season.

I must say Appalachian State has good fans.

UMass922
December 9th, 2006, 07:00 PM
ASU will win because they have a much much much better offense than Montana. Baylark will not be able to do it all himself this time. UMass will need to complete some passes to take pressure off of him and they will need to complete them against an awesome secondary and looking at how bad Mass' passing game was, I don't think they will get it done.

I don't see Baylark as being much better than Mason and ASU proved they could contain him. Their passing games are also comparable.

ASU by 10 or so, unless they just fall apart.

Baylark didn't do it by himself yesterday. He had 245 total yards--out of 460 total yards by UMass. That's still a healthy chunk of yardage coming from other guys. UMass had 224 yards rushing and 236 yards passing, with Coen consistently converting pass attempts on third down after being set up by Baylark on first and second down. He threw a couple bad passes, but if you thought UMass' passing game was a bad one overall, I'm not sure what you were watching. UMass won with a very balanced attack, just as it's been doing all season. This is not a one-dimensional team, and this is not a one-man team.

CCU97
December 9th, 2006, 07:00 PM

The highest points scored on App St this year were 28 by Coastal Carolina? Having some success against this team means you score 17 pts max....The App St offense won't be slowed down enough to hold them to that few of points. App St. rolls in Chatty 28-14.

Zangzigger
December 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I don't see Baylark as being much better than Mason and ASU proved they could contain him.

Haha, that's exactly what Montana was saying last week after stopping Whitlock. Montana has a much better defense than ASU and UMass showed what they could do against them. Should be a great game!

The highest points scored on App St this year were 28 by Coastal Carolina

No team has scored more than 21 points against UMass all year and that was I-A Navy. Two very good teams

Cobblestone
December 9th, 2006, 07:10 PM
No team has scored more than 21 points against UMass all year and that was I-A Navy. Two very good teams

Should be a good defensive battle. Looking forward to it.

JohnStOnge
December 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM

I don't know man...I think the defenses are comparable. Don't know what it's going to look like after this weekend's games but after the quarterfinals Appalachian State had better total defense, rushing defense, and pass effiicieny defense stats than UMass did and was close in scoring defense (14.0 vs. 11.9).

Just from watching I do think Appalachian State has more overall athleticism and speed than UMass does. On the other hand, UMass looked really solid in all phases of the game and very strong on both lines of scrimmage. Should be a great game.

I think in our "who will win the national championship" poll a couple of weeks ago I picked UMass. However, after having watched App State twice now and UMass once I think that if I had to bet straight up I'd bet App State...particularly if Richardson plays. But I wouldn't feel real confident either way. Pretty close to a 50:50 proposition, I think.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
im not talking about the app corners who have to guard all the big umass receivers. i was not mentioning the app offense. but when you are 5'7 trying to guard 6'4 thats a mismatch.

The App corners do a good job of sticking to the receivers like glue. I don't think height will come into play all that much. And with Lynch and Wiggins helping them, UMass is going to have a tough time in the passing game.

JohnStOnge
December 9th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Montana has a much better defense than ASU and UMass showed what they could do against them. Should be a great game!

I don't know why but I think there's a tendency on this board to underestimate App's defense. When comparing ASU's defensive stats coming into this weekend with Montana's it's similar as the comparison with UMass except that Montana was rated slightly higher in total defense and rushing defense while ASU was rated slightly higher in scoring defense. Coastal Carolina did put up 28 against App but no other I-AA/CS team scored more than 21 and North Carolina State got 23. It looks to be a very solid defense.

CamelCityYosef
December 9th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I don't know why but I think there's a tendency on this board to underestimate App's defense.

I hope everyone continues to underestimate App's defense...:smiley_wi

Zangzigger
December 9th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Does App. State have a football message board? The UMass messageboard is http://umasshoops.com/board/index.htm.

Sam Adams
December 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I'm enjoying the underestimation of UMASS. should be a nice ballgame.:)

Mountaineer
December 9th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Does App. State have a football message board? The UMass messageboard is http://umasshoops.com/board/index.htm.

The Mountaineer Message Board is at:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/start

Wouldn't come over looking for smack though, you're not gonna find much at all. :thumbsup:

blackfordpu
December 9th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I don't have an opinion really because I don't care who wins.

Just looking forward to what looks to be a great game between two really talented teams.

bustingnut
December 9th, 2006, 08:12 PM
The Mountaineer Message Board is at:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/start

Wouldn't come over looking for smack though, you're not gonna find much at all. :thumbsup:

You just might on @ Umass's. Is this them warming up the smack?

"youngstown state couldn't tackle me if i was out there... ask IV i'm slower than hell... btw app st couldn't catch a cold on D... "

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 9th, 2006, 08:15 PM
At this point, APP ST would have to be the favorite going in to Chatty. Yes, they look rather impressive and set to repeat, which is no easy task. They had home field advantage throughout the playoffs and have dominated each opponent.

On the flip side, UMASS had two close games and beat Montana on their turf and will bring a defense that will test APP St. In order for UMASS to win they must contain Edwards and force him to make mistakes. A closer game favors UMASS IMO. It's a toss up.....to close to call.....

Of course, I'm pulling for UMASS .....GO A-10

Mountaineer
December 9th, 2006, 08:15 PM
You just might on @ Umass's. Is this them warming up the smack?

"youngstown state couldn't tackle me if i was out there... ask IV i'm slower than hell... btw app st couldn't catch a cold on D... "

Meh, who cares. :p

The UMass fans will talk smack all week. I just hope the ASU fans will have a cooler head and not get baited in to a pissing match until Friday. :thumbsup:

appfan2008
December 9th, 2006, 08:18 PM
apps defense will be fine
I see this as being a high scoring afair...
Edwards and Richardson/Moore will run all through Umass

How about that ticket line after the game! But I got my tickets so who cares! I cant wait for Chatty! I hope we fill up that place with all APP people!

Grizo406
December 9th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I can't pick a winner in this one.

UMass is one of the most balanced teams I've seen in a long time, and I think they'll be hard to beat. If App State can find a QB, they should do well.;)

I'm looking forward to this one!

BEAR
December 9th, 2006, 08:23 PM
After watching the halftime defense adjustments UMASS made to confuse Montanas offense, and if coaching can do the same vs Appy, the results shoud be exactly the same. My vote is for UMASS by 3. I see a ton of ground game and a score of UMASS 31 Appy 28. But either way it is going to be a great game to watch! :thumbsup: :hurray:

Applete
December 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM

UMass is one of the most balanced teams I've seen in a long time, and I think they'll be hard to beat. If App State can find a QB, they should do well.;)

I agree, a quarterback who only manages 2000+ yards passing and 1000+ yards rushing in a season is pathetic. I mean Vince Young was the last guy to do that so that just shows how easy to come by those stats are. xlolx I enjoyed the attempt Griz.

Ivytalk
December 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I have a feeling that UMass will prevail in a relatively low-scoring game. Say 21-17.

appstate1998
December 9th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I see App winning this game very easy....42-17

AppStateMan
December 9th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Close in the first half. But App pulls away in the 2nd. This team impresses me every week! ITs great to be a Mountaineer!!:hurray:

App 34 UMass 17

p.s. App is bringing A LOT of LOUD and PROUD fans!!!

Peems

What i said earlier was that UMass has a much better D than YOUNGSTOWN. I dont see App scoring 42 on umass at all. they have the speed to be able to stick with edwards and as mentioned earlier richardsons health will play a huge role.

Sam Adams

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

thanks for the laughs, congrats on beating youngstown, let me know when you sober up. See you in Chatty!!!

I am absolutely loving the appy overconfidence - you folks have no idea what awaits you in Chatty!

ncguitarplyr
December 9th, 2006, 08:48 PM
not to brag but i filled out a prediction chart the day the teams were announced and i only got 1 game wrong and that was back in the 1st round....i picked a umass/app national championship and here it is...im gonna say app wins the game by around 10 in the hardest game we've played since ncstate

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 08:50 PM
not to brag but i filled out a prediction chart the day the teams were announced and i only got 1 game wrong and that was back in the 1st round....i picked a umass/app national championship and here it is...im gonna say app wins the game by around 10 in the hardest game we've played since ncstate

no offense but this year hasnt been that hard to predict.

AppStateMan
December 9th, 2006, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE
I am absolutely loving the appy overconfidence - you folks have no idea what awaits you in Chatty![/QUOTE]

And neither do you!!

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 08:51 PM
also anyone know how injured richardson is? i figure he will play.

AppStateMan
December 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM

thanks for the laughs, congrats on beating youngstown, let me know when you sober up. See you in Chatty!!!

I am absolutely loving the appy overconfidence - you folks have no idea what awaits you in Chatty!

Well you have no idea what awaits YOU! GO APPS!!

Chi Panther
December 9th, 2006, 08:57 PM
These are the 2 best teams I've seen this year!!!!!

Congrats to Both!!!!!

ncguitarplyr
December 9th, 2006, 09:10 PM
no offense but this year hasnt been that hard to predict.

well i know i didn't see many non-umass fans pickin a umass/app championship game...in any case we'll see how it plays out

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM
well i know i didn't see many non-umass fans pickin a umass/app championship game...in any case we'll see how it plays out
Probably because the bracket had to go through Montana........enough said on that one........

Applete
December 9th, 2006, 09:14 PM
also anyone know how injured richardson is? i figure he will play.

Goasu.com says he had a bruised trapezoid. I'm sure he'll play on friday but even if he doesn't our backup, Moore, was looking pretty sharp tonight. Of course Y'town's defense is not exactly the same as UMass'.

Col Hogan
December 9th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I have a feeling that UMass will prevail in a relatively low-scorimg game. Say 21-17.

Agree, a low scorer. I am not willing to predict winners, but I will predict a low scoring game. Loved Griz fans last week (not all, but apprently the unknowing onws) who predicted high scoring matches. Montana, UMass and App all have excellent defenses...defense wins championships. SO, I will predict there will be less than 40 total points scored next week...a defense battle. Which ever "D" comes out the strongest will dictate who wins.

Good Luck ASU - GO UMASS!!!!!

Old Cat Fan
December 9th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Damn Yankees are coming down to finish the job and bringing their Baylark road kill with them :eek:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/808092.jpghttp://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/grizzlydead.jpg

Tribe4SF
December 9th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Plenty of nonsense on here already. It's going to be a long week sifting through the homers.

It's impossible to predict how this game will go. Two very strong teams who can potentially control the game on both sides of the ball. Somebody's going to get an edge along the front in the second half, and that team will win.

Col Hogan
December 9th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Heard that all last week from Montana fans. WE know what awaits us...an equally matched game. UMass is as good as AppSTate...no better, not worse. IF you think you are that much better...good luck. THe let down can be a bitch. Ask the Griz. :D

Sam Adams
December 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM

I have a ton of respect for Appy and I have a much better Idea of what is coming than some of these Appy fans who are predicting a blowout win for Appy do.

Tribe4SF
December 9th, 2006, 09:30 PM

I've been predicting this match for weeks. Once I saw UMass in person back in early October, I was sold. Fast, and extremely physical on both sides of the ball with strong special teams play.

TigerFan17
December 9th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I love folks continuing to underestimate UMASS. Hilarious. See you in Chatty Appy. :smiley_wi

I've said it for a while now, UMass is NC quality.

AppStateMan
December 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Heard that all last week from Montana fans. WE know what awaits us...an equally matched game. UMass is as good as AppSTate...no better, not worse. IF you think you are that much better...good luck. THe let down can be a bitch. Ask the Griz. :D

I don't think we are way better, I've only seen UMass play once and that was yesterday and I was VERY imprest! #5 is an awesome player! To go into Montana and hand them a loss earns you my respect. What awaits fans is an awesome game. Both schools will bring everything they have!!

WSBE
December 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I can't wait for the game....I think UMASS wins but Richardson was impressive to watch xidiotx today...I'm not sure there is a RB in the A10 like him. Maybe the kid from Delaware. So - Blaylark, the Oline & the defense are pretty much constants....I think the difference in this game will be UMASS getting #81 & the 2 big TE #82 #83 involved.....send those guys over the middle & I haven't seen anyone stop them

UNH SUPERFAN
December 9th, 2006, 10:14 PM
If anything will doom a UMass win it will be stupid penalties. They were furtunate that that didn't come back to haunt them Friday night in Montana. I don't think they'll win if many 1st and 10s are turned into 1st and 15s or 20s. Also in the last 2 game Coen fumbled snaps, he's pulling out early for some reason and not getting the ball, can't have turnovers against a team like ASU.

ncguitarplyr
December 9th, 2006, 10:15 PM
i was actually dissapointed with umass despite their win...i thought they were gonna beat montana pretty decently, and stats wise i guess they did but points wise they squeaked by with a 2pt win...and thats even factoring in i thought montana was gonna play better than they did...that being said i don't think app is some perfect team we have our problems too...i think the national championship is gonna be an extremely good game that could go either way but im gonna say app is a 70% favorite to win it

james_lawfirm
December 9th, 2006, 10:20 PM

Find a QB? Are you crazy? What's wrong with the one we've got? Being as how he is only the 5th player in Div. 1 (CS and BS) HISTORY to pass for more than 2,000 yds. and run for more than 1,000 yds. in a season.

Or do you mean find UMass's QB in their backfield?

james_lawfirm
December 9th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Actually, we know EXACTLY what awaits us in Chatty. But thanks for the warning.

Good luck to UMass. See you Friday.

SouthernEagle02
December 9th, 2006, 10:34 PM
This game has 1998 all over it. We had home field advantage and rolled through the playoffs much like App has. We had everything on our side: Undefeated season up to that game, arguably the best back in I-AA history in the past 10 years (A. Peterson),a high scoring offense, and a mobile quarterback. And we all know how that game turned out. I don't forsee either team breaking 20 points. UMass by 2.
BTW, we lost b/c we wore those gay ass blue pants.:nonono2:

WSBE
December 9th, 2006, 10:39 PM
If Richardson has another game like he has the last 6....we need to assume he is the favorite for the Payton in 07...

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 10:42 PM
If Richardson has another game like he has the last 6....we need to assume he is the favorite for the Payton in 07...

what about santos? but thats beside the point....

Cobblestone
December 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I've been predicting this match for weeks. Once I saw UMass in person back in early October, I was sold. Fast, and extremely physical on both sides of the ball with strong special teams play.

I saw them in late October, 474 total yards offense against us. Baylark ran for 241 yards, Coen threw for 176 yards and 2 TD's. Defensively they held us to 168 yards rushing. :bang:

They won't put up numbers like this against ASU but they'll give them a good game. I think it'll be close, I can't see either team being dominant.

HiHiYikas
December 9th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Should be a great matchup. In the end, it will be the knowledge of ASU's team on the part of UMass's AGS posters (that trumps ASU's AGSers' ignorance of UMass) that makes the difference for the Minutemen. So yeah, UMass by 7 or so.

But seriously, I am so excited about this game. ASU has averaged more than 5 touchdowns a game this year, and more than 42 points a game in the playoffs. They put 56 points on the board last time the played in Chattanooga.

On the other side is a strong UMass team that is giving up less than 2 touchdowns per game and 16 points a game in the playoffs. They have shownmore and more poise at every stop. They beat back Lafayette when the Leopards looked ready to sneak back into the game, they pulled off the rare '2 wins in a season' against UNH to move into the semis, and they won a 2-point squeaker on the road at night in Montana. It's hard to imagine how a team could come to Chattanooga with better battle testing.

If you had told me earlier in the season that ASU beat any semi-final opponent more convincingly than they beat WCU, I would have laughed. If you had told me that UMass would win - by a safety - in Montana, I would have laughed some more.

This is a dream matchup in so many ways, not the least of which is the fact that these two teams played hard and won their way to the title game.

It's hard to pick a winner in this one. I'd have to think a close game favors UMass, since ASU hasn't played in a close game for almost 2 months now. If, as has been suggested, the teams are pretty much even, I have to hope that ASU's quasi-home-field advantage will tip the scales the Mountaineers' way.

APPST '93
December 9th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I'm glad the non ASU fans are picking UMASS. Remember...the betting public is wrong the majority of the time.

HiHiYikas
December 9th, 2006, 10:59 PM
This game has 1998 all over it...BTW, we lost b/c we wore those gay ass blue pants.:nonono2:
Thanks for the tip.

Note to ASU's equipment manager: when guys from GaSo call this week, offering to lend blue pants...kindly refuse.

Henny
December 9th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Simply the two best teams in CS are playing against each other. Both are excelect on both sides of the ball. Slight edge goes to UMASS in their ability to mix it up on defense and confuse the freshman QB. I know he is an excellent QB but he may see new things on Fri. that may cause a turnover or two.

UMASS by 7

APPST '93
December 9th, 2006, 11:01 PM
How come UMASS could only score 24 points against UNH? Didn't UNH have an awful "D"?

WSBE
December 9th, 2006, 11:04 PM
what about santos? but thats beside the point....

can you win it twice? because if you can...Levan is back & the NH White Mountain version of Steve Smith (Mike Boyle)...will replace D Ball's production...Santos could be great..again

but seriously...look what Richardson did against Furman & then every game since...this guy must be considered a top 3 RB in FCS

BigApp
December 9th, 2006, 11:11 PM
lets hope Massachusetts' fans get their asses to Chattanooga!

I'm certain Appfans will be en force. Again!

WSBE
December 9th, 2006, 11:17 PM
How come UMASS could only score 24 points against UNH? Didn't UNH have an awful "D"?

My view...Don Brown is not optimizing that offense. UMASS should have beat UNH by 14...their play calling is questionable. The other thing is Coen makes mistakes...he's still young....a couple of missed targets or botched plays & the offense slows down...I don't know how anyone can cover Listorti #82 & London #81 on the same play with Blaylark the threat he is....I think this offense could be better than it performs. The penatlies are ridiculous...

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 11:20 PM
who are the app linebackers to watch out for?

DrG
December 9th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Should have been more. Baylark fumbled when UMass was driving inside the UNH five. Penalties also hurt, which was a persistent problem this season. And I thought the UNH defense stepped up in that game. I know this has been said here many times, but UMass has to avoid turnovers and dumb penalties to have a chance.

ngineer
December 9th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I expect a close game. Both teams have excellent ground games, but ASU's QB has the running dimension Coen does not. But Coen is an excellent QB in the more traditional sense. UMass's defense has been impressive all season. I've always been partial to teams that emphasize defense and believe that a strong D is what wins championships. So, I'm going to lean toward the Minutemen, 24-21.

APPST '93
December 9th, 2006, 11:27 PM
who are the app linebackers to watch out for?

Smith, Banks and Speer

Smith and Banks will be covering the TE's when needed.

Murrell (DE) is the MAN. If they don't stop Murrell it will be a long night for Coen.

APPST '93
December 9th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Did anyone else see ASU's defense tonight? The way everyone is talking we should have to worry about our defense. I'm more concerned with our offense to tell you the truth (TO's). A lot of ASU fans think this year's defense is better than last years.

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 11:45 PM
My next question is... Who is going to guard all of Umass's huge receivers? i know wiggins and lynch are back there but what about the corners? who are they?

JohnStOnge
December 9th, 2006, 11:54 PM
What i said earlier was that UMass has a much better D than YOUNGSTOWN. .

Yep. I almost deleted my response but I left it up because of the part where you said most of the teams that have played App have scored. And of course all of them have scored. But, statistically at least, it's been a very strong defense. Coastal Carolina scored 28 but it was a game that App led 31 - 0 at halftime and 38 - 13 at the end of the third quarter.

Kind of the same thing with Youngstown State today. The Penguins scored 24 but the game was way out of hand when the last TD was scored.

JohnStOnge
December 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM
This game has 1998 all over it. We had home field advantage and rolled through the playoffs much like App has. We had everything on our side: Undefeated season up to that game, arguably the best back in I-AA history in the past 10 years (A. Peterson),a high scoring offense, and a mobile quarterback. And we all know how that game turned out. I don't forsee either team breaking 20 points. UMass by 2.

A big difference between this year's teams and 1998's, I think, is that both of this year's teams have much better defenses than UMass and GSU did in 1998. But I think you see that too in that you aren't seeing either team breaking 20.

And, I know you're joking about why GSU lost...but we all know why GSU didn't have a chance to win: 6 turnovers. As well as UMass moved the ball in that game, GSU moved it even better...getting over 500 yards of offense. But it's awfully hard to win with 6 turnovers.

SouthernEagle02
December 10th, 2006, 12:04 AM
A big difference between this year's teams and 1998's, I think, is that both of this year's teams have much better defenses than UMass and GSU did in 1998. But I think you see that too in that you aren't seeing either team breaking 20.

And, I know you're joking about why GSU lost...but we all know why GSU didn't have a chance to win: 6 turnovers. As well as UMass moved the ball in that game, GSU moved it even better...getting over 500 yards of offense. But it's awfully hard to win with 6 turnovers.
Yup. Turnovers killed us there and have been a major part of every loss we have had. Except for this year...our kicking game.

JohnStOnge
December 10th, 2006, 12:28 AM
they have the speed to be able to stick with edwards and as mentioned earlier richardsons health will play a huge role.

To me UMass didn't look to have exceptional team speed. I think they looked very good and very physical and I'm not saying I think they're slow or anything. But it's not a team like, for instance, the ones Georgia Southern used to have where you watch them on TV and speed just jumps out at you. On the other hand, I do think Appalachian State has exceptional team speed for a I-AA/CS team and is going to have an advantage in that area. Course I don't know that...I haven't taken out a stopwatch and timed all the players...but that's just how it's looked to me.

Even if I'm right, though, team speed isn't everything and, like I said, UMass looked very physical to me.

ASU Kep
December 10th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I have a ton of respect for Appy and I have a much better Idea of what is coming than some of these Appy fans who are predicting a blowout win for Appy do.

:splat: :splat: :splat: : flamemad : flamemad : flamemad

ASU Kep
December 10th, 2006, 01:15 AM
My prediction: UMASS is a great team and more athletic then any team we've seen this year with the possible exception of NCSU. App fans expecting a blow-out are delusional. These guys went to Wa-Griz and beat Montana...they won't be scared of us.

IMO, the defenses are both extremely talented. The difference will be with the O. I think App probably has the edge here, but we've been prone to turnovers lately. A few early miscues might put us behind, but App lives for the second half and the overwhelmingly ASU crowd will cheer em to victory, probably by a margin even slimmer then last year. It'll be higher scoring then most think, though:

App - 27
UMASS - 24. Julian Rauch with a game-winning boot.

ASU Kep
December 10th, 2006, 01:41 AM
BTW, in case people were wondering (don't know if it's been posted yet)...

No. 28 Kevin Richardson (Running Back)
On his injury (shoulder bruise):
A couple of guys just fell on me and I landed on my shoulder, just re-injured a previous injury. I'm going to be back next week.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :thumbsup:

umassfan
December 10th, 2006, 01:52 AM
BTW, in case people were wondering (don't know if it's been posted yet)...

No. 28 Kevin Richardson (Running Back)
On his injury (shoulder bruise):
A couple of guys just fell on me and I landed on my shoulder, just re-injured a previous injury. I'm going to be back next week.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :thumbsup:
BUT... after a hit by Ihedigbo... will he play after that?

Mountaineer#96
December 10th, 2006, 02:13 AM
BUT... after a hit by Ihedigbo... will he play after that?

Come on buddy, we are not going to get the pissing contest started right now, we got awhile before the game.

WildcatFan
December 10th, 2006, 05:54 AM
BUT... after a hit by Ihedigbo... will he play after that? I thought your trip to Montana would have reformed you?

Sam Adams
December 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM
I thought your trip to Montana would have reformed you?

Why would you think that?:D

james_lawfirm
December 10th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I expect a close game. Both teams have excellent ground games, but ASU's QB has the running dimension Coen does not. But Coen is an excellent QB in the more traditional sense. UMass's defense has been impressive all season. I've always been partial to teams that emphasize defense and believe that a strong D is what wins championships. So, I'm going to lean toward the Minutemen, 24-21.

What you say is true. But if Coen tries to sit in the pocket like he did against Montana then he will spend a lot of time on the turf. If he holds on to the ball too long, then there will be fumbles. There won't be many zone coverages to work on. So, unless UMass changes their game plan from the one they had at Montana, I don't think their O will be very successful.

Pard94
December 10th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Umass is a fast, athletic team. I am sure App State will have thier hands full. That being said, I think I speak for much of the Lafayette community when I say Leopards fans are rooting for the boys from Boone! At least I am! Kick ass Appalachian State!

AppStateMan
December 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM
This is an App team that has been scoring points and beating teams handedly since the Furman game on Oct. 28. Just take a look:

Furman W 40-7
Citadel W 42-13
WCU W 31-9 (in a rain storm!)
CCU W 45-28
MSU 38-17
YSU W 49-24

And a lot of those points put up by the other teams came when our 2nd string D was in!
If UMass can limit ASU offensively, then they'll have a chance. But the last 6 schools sure had a tough time. This offense is on a roll and is playing with confidence. And I believe that is enough for ASU to win. Good luck UMass and I can't wait to see what you bring to Chatty. I'm sure it'll be our toughest test yet!

Old Cage
December 10th, 2006, 08:14 AM
You guys better get all you need in the first half. No one has scored on us in the playoffs in the second half.

:smiley_wi

appstate1998
December 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM
You guys better get all you need in the first half. No one has scored on us in the playoffs in the second half.

we usually do....:thumbsup:

semobison
December 10th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I was impressed with both games teams this weekend. App States O. is scary. Their QB gives them an extra dimension. U Mass's D is as Physical as they come. Should be a great game! U Mass by 3!

appstate1998
December 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=263432026

nice ESPN article..shows Coach Moores respect for youngstown

stuperman17
December 10th, 2006, 09:02 AM
That was a good article. Surprised ESPN did that much work on a CS game. Both schools showed class and accepted the win and loss in their interviews. But i still think ASU wins by 20 or more.

carney2
December 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Two banged up running backs. Baylark will go and will be a factor. Any word on Richardson? If he isn't able to be effective, advantage UMass.

cosmo here
December 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Umass is a fast, athletic team. I am sure App State will have thier hands full. That being said, I think I speak for much of the Lafayette community when I say Leopards fans are rooting for the boys from Boone! At least I am! Kick ass Appalachian State!

as part of the Lafayette community, I'm with this guy :nod:

LehighFan11
December 10th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Umass has a great physical defense and a great run game. That being said, good luck in a foot race with Edwards, Richardson, and Moore. If Richardson plays, game over. If he doesnt play I still think Moore is a good backup. Umass will have to control the football and beat them in TOP by 15 minutes. Cant wait to watch this game, should be exciting.

appman87
December 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM

He was found. 12-0 in his freshman season. Top that.

Mr. C
December 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM
To address Richardson's injury, this isn't a Richie Williams type of thing. Kevin has been playing with a bruised shoulder for weeks. He just aggravated it on Saturday. He will be fine. He was on the sidelines with an ice pack for the rest of the game on Saturday and came to the post-game interview sessions afterwards. He said he would play no matter what. Trust me, he is a very tough kid.

Mr. C
December 10th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Here is a quote from Kevin Richardson on his injury from the post-game press conference:

"A couple guys just fell on me and I landed an awkward way," Richardson said. "I had this injury before. I'll be good to go next week."

Sam Adams
December 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM
To address Richardson's injury, this isn't a Richie Williams type of thing. Kevin has been playing with a bruised shoulder for weeks. He just aggravated it on Saturday. He will be fine. He was on the sidelines with an ice pack for the rest of the game on Saturday and came to the post-game interview sessions afterwards. He said he would play no matter what. Trust me, he is a very tough kid.

We trust you and are sure that he'll play. Both teams are banged up, injuries are part of the game. xcoffeex

Saint3333
December 10th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Sam what players are dinged up for UMass?

To my knowledge ASU has a couple DL and OL with bruised/slightly sprained ankles, Lynch is wearing a Barry Bonds-like forearm protector, and of course Richardson's bruised shoulder. All will be listed as probable and I'm confident all with play.

MplsBison
December 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Appalachian is legitimate.

It's true that they coasted through the season playing weak SoCon teams, but they're as good as any team in the country at I-AA level.

I simply think UMass is the legitimate #1 this year because of their schedule.

UMass 21- ASU 10

ngineer
December 10th, 2006, 10:30 AM
What you say is true. But if Coen tries to sit in the pocket like he did against Montana then he will spend a lot of time on the turf. If he holds on to the ball too long, then there will be fumbles. There won't be many zone coverages to work on. So, unless UMass changes their game plan from the one they had at Montana, I don't think their O will be very successful.

Oh, I would expect a few new wrinkles by both teams once they've had a chance scheme a little off the tapes. The one caveat regarding my leaning is that is does not take into account turnovers or penalties. In any close game, the team with the least of these will win. I would think that UMass's staff will be all over them about the horrendous number of penalties they took. That's what was so impressive about them--at Montana, with all those penalties, they still were able to move the ball. Any lesser team would have been punting all night. I won't be surprised by whichever team wins, I just give a slight nod to UMass in a straight-up situation. I hope both teams give us a great game.

Appguy
December 10th, 2006, 10:30 AM
finally got MplsBison to see the light...somewhat, but i can see us getting held to 10 points assuming Richardson plays.

my prediction 27-17 App

I hope they don't tee off on Coens mom again that was uncalled for

Mr. C
December 10th, 2006, 10:32 AM

It's true that they coasted through the season playing weak SoCon teams, but they're as good as any team in the country at I-AA level.

UMass 21- ASU 10
That should clinch the championship for Appalachian State with MplsBison picking against th Mountaineers yet again. He has picked against them every week in the playoffs.

The schedule doesn't mean squat at this point in the season. Both teams have beaten top-10 teams in the last two rounds to get to the final.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 10th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I agree. As good as the ASU defense is (focus on "fast"), teams have moved the ball and scored on them.

Baylark was also considered to be not as good as Whitlock who the Griz shut down the previous week. Big difference, however, is NOT just the guy carrying the ball. It will be the UMASS Offensive Line. They dominated an outstanding UM defense. ASU defense is fast and talented, but they have NOT yet seen the condominiums that double as the UMASS O Line and TE's. UMASS won't need to constantly battle ASU speed on the outside; instead, they can blast away with zone schemes between the tackles and effectively control the football and the clock.

Also, the diminutive DB's for ASU (talked about as being 5'6" or 5'7") will struggle against skyscaper receivers like London, Rancher, and TE Listorti who all top 6'3" or more.

I think the key will be the UMASS defense containing (certainly not stopping!) ASU's game breaking freshman QB, Edwards. UMASS has seen the spread offense before (re: UNH), but not with a major focus on the run game like ASU. Also, if ASU RB Richardson can't play or is limited because of his trap injury, HUGE advantage to UMASS.

Believe it or not, IMHO, I see a shoot out in the making. In the end, UMASS controls the ball on a long time-consuming drive to run out the clock. 38-35, UMASS in a classic. :hurray:

ASU does win the battle of school leaders, however, with effervescent Chancellor Peacock! Does Coach Moore know how lucky he is? :thumbsup:

Mr. C
December 10th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Oh, I would expect a few new wrinkles by both teams once they've had a chance scheme a little off the tapes. The one caveat regarding my leaning is that is does not take into account turnovers or penalties. In any close game, the team with the least of these will win. I would think that UMass's staff will be all over them about the horrendous number of penalties they took. That's what was so impressive about them--at Montana, with all those penalties, they still were able to move the ball. Any lesser team would have been punting all night. I won't be surprised by whichever team wins, I just give a slight nod to UMass in a straight-up situation. I hope both teams give us a great game.
With a short week of preparation and the commitments with off-field stuff that the teams are required to participate in at Chattanooga, there will be little time to put in very many wrinkles. That's not ASU's MO anyway. UMass might try some new things to combat Edwards and try to confuse him, but usually the adage for football teams is to stick with what brought you there.

Appguy
December 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Also, the diminutive DB's for ASU (talked about as being 5'6" or 5'7") will struggle against skyscaper receivers like London, Rancher, and TE Listorti who all top 6'3" or more.

we held down Montna State's recievers like jefferson pretty well and hes 6'2''

Our DBs are 5-10(wozeah) 5-7(touchstone), 6-0(lynch), 5-9(wiggins)

eaglesrthe1
December 10th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I going to have to give the edge to UMass in this one. I was far more impressed with what they did Friday considering where the game was played, than I was with ASU considering where that game was played.

It ought to be a good, close game.

Saint3333
December 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM

UMass 21- ASU 10

ASU has ALWAYS been legit and every team we play knows it.

That's it folks the kiss of death has sealed the deal, thanks Mpls for your vote of confidence once again.

Col Hogan
December 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM
... if Coen tries to sit in the pocket like he did against Montana then he will spend a lot of time on the turf.

HUmor on a SUnday morning is good. Obviously, you did not watch the O-Line at work. THey dominate. Coen must avoid mistakes, and I agree it will be a very close game. But I seriously doubt the APpy D-line will get to coen as much as you think. The O-Line of UMass is, if not the best, one of the two or three best at this level.

Black and Gold Express
December 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I'll restate what I said last week. What you call overconfidence is us seeing the same thing week in and week out. Until someone in I-AA proves they can match our speed, I don't buy into anyone's claims that they can do it. Come Friday you may be proven correct, but I feel just as comfortable saying you have no idea what awaits you in Chattanooga yourself.

ncguitarplyr
December 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM
STATISTICS
Bold=Better than the other team in that category

NOTE: many of the statistics are VERY close like within 1 or 2...read the numbers not just the bold

Appalachian State
Category | National Rank

Rushing Offense 4
Passing Offense 67
Total Offense 3
Scoring Offense 2
Rushing Defense 10
Pass Efficiency Defense 15
Total Defense 15
Scoring Defense 8
Net Punting 14
Punt Returns 31
Kickoff Returns 108
Turnover Margin 67
Pass Defense 30
Passing Efficiency 26
Sacks 19
Tackles For Loss 44
Sacks Allowed 28

UMASS
Category | National Rank

Rushing Offense 26
Passing Offense 31
Total Offense 11
Scoring Offense 21
Rushing Defense 9
Pass Efficiency Defense 19
Total Defense 14
Scoring Defense 1
Net Punting 11
Punt Returns 52
Kickoff Returns 23
Turnover Margin 36
Pass Defense 34
Passing Efficiency 5
Sacks 17
Tackles For Loss 52
Sacks Allowed 14

ncguitarplyr
December 10th, 2006, 12:11 PM
most important stats:

Total Offense App 3 | Umass 11
Advantage: App

Scoring Offense App 2 | Umass 21

Total Defense App 15 | Umass 14
Advantage: Tie

Scoring Defense App 8 | Umass 1
Advantage: Umass

Turnover Margin App 67 | Umass 36

BigApp
December 10th, 2006, 12:16 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

BigApp
December 10th, 2006, 12:17 PM

when we do score, will you guys have any fans there to see it??

KAUMASS
December 10th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Congrats to Appalachian St, but let's keep the smack to the smack section. The two best teams in the country at the FCS level are in the finals. UMass is ranked #54 in all of FBS and FCS combined by Sagarian's power rankings. Appalachian is ranked #56 in all of FBS and FCS combined. Anything can happen in this game. Good luck to both teams.

MplsBison
December 10th, 2006, 12:36 PM
most important stats:

Total Offense App 3 | Umass 11

Scoring Offense App 2 | Umass 21

Total Defense App 15 | Umass 14
Advantage: Tie

Scoring Defense App 8 | Umass 1

Turnover Margin App 67 | Umass 36

Those rankings don't mean much if you compare the 2 schedules.

appstate1998
December 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Those rankings don't mean much if you compare the 2 schedules.

they also don't mean much when appstate takes out its starters before the third quarter is over and most opponents score against our scrubs

appfan2008
December 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Most of the points we have given up this year have been in the fourth quarter against our second team... check it out...

Sam Adams
December 10th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Why bother to check it out? Nobody is disagreeing with you, nobody really cares and nobody really believes that whether or not Appy's second team D gave up garbage points in other games will have any bearing whatsoever on the outcome of the National Championship.

ncguitarplyr
December 10th, 2006, 02:16 PM
well everyone said the rankings don't matter when app had dominating stats over the other teams and look what happened to them....the stats are almost dead even this time...if anything it shows how good of a game this is gonna be

HiHiYikas
December 10th, 2006, 02:21 PM

That's what makes this such a great matchup...

UMass - doesn't give up 2nd-half points in the playoffs
ASU - 56 2nd-half points so far in the playoffs.

For the most part, ASU's recent half-time leads (21-3, 17-0, 31-0, 17-10, 28-14) have been plenty. ASU has given up one meaningful second-half touchdown in the past month and a half.

Sam Adams
December 10th, 2006, 02:49 PM
well everyone said the rankings don't matter when app had dominating stats over the other teams and look what happened to them....the stats are almost dead even this time...if anything it shows how good of a game this is gonna be

I agree this should be one hell of a good game. ASU looks like the best team UMass will have faced all season except perhaps Navy. I don't think ASU has faced anybody as good as UMass except perhaps NC State. I'd toss the statistical comparisons out the window. This game is going to come down which team can control the line of scrimmage and make the least mistakes. I can't wait to see this game. Both teams look very good & balanced to me. Turnovers will probably be the difference.

gamesaver22
December 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
7 points against Northeastern
89. Northeastern 26.4 points per game
Some one explain what happened in this game( from what i read you should have scored a lot more on this D.)

10 points against maine
5. Maine 13.1 points per game
Apps D allows 14 points per game #6 in nation. Compare to Maine they are very close, and 7 points per game on average comes in grabage time. We should be able to hold Umass to less than 17 at most IMO

Sam Adams
December 10th, 2006, 03:16 PM
7 points against Northeastern
89. Northeastern 26.4 points per game
Some one explain what happened in this game( from what i read you should have scored a lot more on this D.)

10 points against maine
5. Maine 13.1 points per game
Apps D allows 14 points per game #6 in nation. Compare to Maine they are very close, and 7 points per game on average comes in grabage time. We should be able to hold Umass to less than 17 at most IMO

The Northeastern game was played in constant hard rain downpour with gale force winds. Neither team could do much of anything offensively - If you watched the game you'd see that UMass dominated but the weather that day was unbeliveable. (you had to see it to believe it).

Maine was the best D UMass saw all season.

I would not place much faith in predicting what is going to happen on Friday night based upon the Maine game and certainly not based upon the NU game (unless there is a big storm in Nooga on Friday).

UMass has the No.1 scoring defense in the country - but I wouldn't pretend to think that it will matter too much come Friday night. This will be decided on the field and in the trenches, not on statistical comparisons.

gamesaver22
December 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
i agree i was just wondering why only 7 points in that game, look forward to a great game in Chatanooga

UMass922
December 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM
i agree i was just wondering why only 7 points in that game

The same reason the UNH-Hofstra game that day was 10-6 and the URI-Maine game 3-0. The weather in New England on 10/28 shut down everyone's offense.

gofurman
December 10th, 2006, 04:12 PM

UMass 21- ASU 10

RIght - just because their regular season schedule wasn't as good as Umass (and it wasn't because the A-10 IS definitely better than the SoCon right now) doesn't mean they aren't as good or better than anyone. It just means they didn't have a chance to prove it. The exception of course (regular season) was JMU who they beat nicely. So now they have ABSOLUTELY proven what they are made of with the JMU win and the three playoff wins.

appstate1998
December 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I hear you about bad weather screwing up games....against W. Carolina it was a constant downpour and we only put up 31 on them. Better weather would have probably allowed us to score 60 or more

UMass922
December 10th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I hear you about bad weather screwing up games....against W. Carolina it was a constant downpour and we only put up 31 on them. Better weather would have probably allowed us to score 60 or more

Yeah, but you guys are good, whereas we stink. That must be taken into account as well.

Peems
December 10th, 2006, 04:41 PM
just wait till umassfan gets home then there will be some discussion:smiley_wi

ncguitarplyr
December 10th, 2006, 04:52 PM
is umass bringin their whole band for this one? if it wasn't for the distance id say it was a no brainer that they would

ASU Kep
December 10th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Yeah, but you guys are good, whereas we stink. That must be taken into account as well.

Most sensible UMass post by far. ;) xlolx

Sam Adams
December 10th, 2006, 05:23 PM
is umass bringin their whole band for this one? if it wasn't for the distance id say it was a no brainer that they would

I don't know, but I certainly hope so. The UMass Minuteman Marching Band is widely regarded as one of the best bands in the country. They deserve the opportunity to come display their talent in Chattanooga. They put on a great show. :nod:

APPST '93
December 10th, 2006, 05:28 PM
To keep from getting pissed off...this will be my last post and look at this thread. App wins this game and we hang at least 31 on the Umass defense. Umass will not score 24 on App's defense.

See you in Chatty! GO FOR 2!

Old Cage
December 10th, 2006, 05:44 PM
It's reported tonight on the UMass board that the 350 member Power and Class are coming to the game. They have won the Sudler Trophy a few years ago as the best college marching band in the country at any level.

Some would say that the 1998 championship game was decided before the coin flip when the UMass band came into the stadium and the Georgia Southerns got their first whiff of what they were up against. :smiley_wi

PS: It's eight years later and the GSU fans are still moaning and making excuses about that game. I have seen none of that from Montana and I hope it holds after this one no matter who wins.

I was not there in 98. I will be on scene this time.

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
December 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Not going to be suprised with whoever wins this game, unless it's a blowout.

FIxin' to be one helluva g ame.

appfan2008
December 10th, 2006, 06:00 PM
wow i think for the first time ever ASU's 280 member marching band will be shown up...
oh well as long as the App football team wins the game on the field that is all that matters

UMass922
December 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Some would say that the 1998 championship game was decided before the coin flip when the UMass band came into the stadium and the Georgia Southerns got their first whiff of what they were up against. :smiley_wi

I remember GSU fans shouting things like "Yankees, go home!" at us as we marched into the stadium. But after the game they were very respectful, and a couple GSU students even came onto our bus afterward, presented us with some pizza, and congratulated us on our team's performance. That was very cool.

Anyway, I'm very happy to hear that the band will be making it to Chattanooga again this time. I hope this year's group has as much fun as we did back in '98--and I hope for similar results on the field, too.

Lizzie_ASUband
December 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM
it'll be nice to see y'alls band as well. we've never been present at game where there was a band as big or bigger than us. you can count on us to be classy as well, win or lose. hopefully y'all will act classy as well. let's just make this game a good one (it'll be my last one ever as a band member).

tralfangar
December 10th, 2006, 06:39 PM
To keep from getting pissed off...this will be my last post and look at this thread. App wins this game and we hang at least 31 on the Umass defense. Umass will not score 24 on App's defense.

See you in Chatty! GO FOR 2!

What if they score 25?

eaglesrthe1
December 10th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I remember GSU fans shouting things like "Yankees, go home!" at us as we marched into the stadium. But after the game they were very respectful, and a couple GSU students even came onto our bus afterward, presented us with some pizza, and congratulated us on our team's performance. That was very cool.

Anyway, I'm very happy to hear that the band will be making it to Chattanooga again this time. I hope this year's group has as much fun as we did back in '98--and I hope for similar results on the field, too.

ASU fans will step on your pizza, as they run the goalpost through the windows of your bus.:D

appman87
December 10th, 2006, 07:24 PM
RIght - just because their regular season schedule wasn't as good as Umass (and it wasn't because the A-10 IS definitely better than the SoCon right now) doesn't mean they aren't as good or better than anyone. It just means they didn't have a chance to prove it. The exception of course (regular season) was JMU who they beat nicely. So now they have ABSOLUTELY proven what they are made of with the JMU win and the three playoff wins.
Nicely said thank you. With each passing week the SoCon weakness is less and less an issue. We've beaten teams from the A-10, Big Sky, and gateway and are in the final game.

majorbta
December 10th, 2006, 07:36 PM
What if they score 25?

What if they score 26?

james_lawfirm
December 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I agree this should be one hell of a good game. ASU looks like the best team UMass will have faced all season except perhaps Navy. I don't think ASU has faced anybody as good as UMass except perhaps NC State. I'd toss the statistical comparisons out the window. This game is going to come down which team can control the line of scrimmage and make the least mistakes. I can't wait to see this game. Both teams look very good & balanced to me. Turnovers will probably be the difference.

Sam:
I'll agree with you on this. Should be a great game. Good luck to UMass.

james_lawfirm
December 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Now, hold yer 'taters. Let's not be so sensitive. You quoted Appstate's comments about bad weather in the ASU/Western Carolina game. Appstate was not implying one single thing about UMass in his comments. He was just following up some UMass fan's post about low-scoring games being caused by funky weather. The ASU/Western Car. game sure qualified when the rain was coming down sideways in the first half. I agree with him that ASU could have scored significantly more points in good weather. I don't know if Coach Moore would have let them do that, but they could have.

Further, I doubt you'll hear any knowledgeable (and sober) ASU poster say that UMass stinks. I thought they looked pretty darn good when they went to Montana and beat them.

There is something I don't understand though. Where are your fans? With a school the size of UMass, there ought to football fans everywhere. Are you really expecting only about 1,000 or so in Chatty? What gives?

Peems
December 10th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Now, hold yer 'taters. Let's not be so sensitive. You quoted Appstate's comments about bad weather in the ASU/Western Carolina game. Appstate was not implying one single thing about UMass in his comments. He was just following up some UMass fan's post about low-scoring games being caused by funky weather. The ASU/Western Car. game sure qualified when the rain was coming down sideways in the first half. I agree with him that ASU could have scored significantly more points in good weather. I don't know if Coach Moore would have let them do that, but they could have.

Further, I doubt you'll hear any knowledgeable (and sober) ASU poster say that UMass stinks. I thought they looked pretty darn good when they went to Montana and beat them.

There is something I don't understand though. Where are your fans? With a school the size of UMass, there ought to football fans everywhere. Are you really expecting only about 1,000 or so in Chatty? What gives?

it was explained in another thread that there are many other activities that have been going on in umass and that football is not high on the list.

james_lawfirm
December 10th, 2006, 08:10 PM
ASU fans will step on your pizza, as they run the goalpost through the windows of your bus.:D

I think we deserve another chance. I promise we won't step on your pizza or poke anything through the windows of your bus.

P.S. Tell the Ga.So. fans that those were not App fans that broke their bus windows, it was our Chancellor! Not.

james_lawfirm
December 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM
it was explained in another thread that there are many other activities that have been going on in umass and that football is not high on the list.

Other activities besides football??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

What else is there?

Peems
December 10th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Other activities besides football??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

What else is there?

just read this thread, it explains it all

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17767&page=3

asuboys
December 10th, 2006, 08:43 PM
THis thread doesn't really explain why UMass fans shouldn't be in Chattanooga to see their football team try to win a National Championship... And flights from Boston to Atlanta aren't that expensive... My plan is to fly DC to Atlanta, rent a car and drive the 1 1/2 hours to Chatty.... flights from DC to ATL aren't expensive either.... Fans need to be creative in how to get to Chattanooga....

GO APPS!!!

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 10th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I don't know, but I certainly hope so. The UMass Minuteman Marching Band is widely regarded as one of the best bands in the country. They deserve the opportunity to come display their talent in Chattanooga. They put on a great show. :nod:
........let's hope UMASS brings the band.......not sure why they would not unless $ comes into play........JMU took 350 marching members in 2004......

Go UMASS

ronpayne
December 10th, 2006, 09:02 PM
As an ASU Band alum (and current band dir), I'd LOVE to see the UMASS band. I had the opportunity to meet their director this summer at a workshop at UNC-Charlotte for my drum majors, and he is a fantastic guy - very classy, and I'm sure his band is as well. AppState Band members (and fans) you will be in for a treat.... I hope they let both bands do halftime.

My other major prediction is this: The team that scores the most points will win the championship.

Ok, seriously, App is fast this year, and scoring high. I think our only major weakness is the lack of full games we've played this year. If UMASS can keep it close until the 2nd half, I give them a shot, else I call it ASU by 14 at the half and by 21+ for the game. ASU's 1st team D is awesome.

Either way - congrats both teams for making it, and thank God that we aren't the computer 2007 champion, because WE settle things on the field.

Go Apps!

Ron "Tex" Payne

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

NativeAppy
December 10th, 2006, 09:05 PM
THis thread doesn't really explain why UMass fans shouldn't be in Chattanooga to see their football team try to win a National Championship... And flights from Boston to Atlanta aren't that expensive... My plan is to fly DC to Atlanta, rent a car and drive the 1 1/2 hours to Chatty.... flights from DC to ATL aren't expensive either.... Fans need to be creative in how to get to Chattanooga....

GO APPS!!!

I had to be pretty creative in getting a hotel room... just called about 6 - 7 different ones. Ended up a little outside of town at a best western that only had 2 rooms left. Said every call she had today was from App fans. Should be a great showing for us. The Holiday Inn across the street was also sold out with app fans according to the guy at the desk. The woman at the desk was pretty funny, said everyone in Chattanooga was cheering for App - quote, "we don't want a team from the North winning" :)

UMass922
December 10th, 2006, 09:07 PM
It's official, folks--the UMass band will be in Chattanooga:

"Next performance...December 15, 2006
Join the UMass Minuteman Marching Band as they board planes and travel to Finley Stadium in Chattanooga, TN to cheer and play musical selections from their 2006 season for the NCAA Division 1 Football Championship game against Appalachian State. This is the second time in the history of the UMMB that the band will have the opportunity to travel to TN, the only other time being in 1998 when they won the Sudler Trophy."

http://www.umass.edu/band/

UMass922
December 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM

Don't worry, my 'taters are firmly in hand. Was just being silly.

UMass922
December 10th, 2006, 09:23 PM

In most other parts of the country, a school the size of UMass would have football fans everywhere, but UMass is in New England, where interest in college football--and football in general, really--is about as mild as it is anywhere in the country. I wish it weren't that way, but that's just the way it is. I'm a born-and-bred New Englander and I love football, of course, but in general we just don't have it in our blood. There's just not the football culture that there is in the south, the midwest, and elsewhere. Having spent the past three-plus months in one of the most football-crazy towns in the country, I'm appreciating just how big the difference is.

It may be hard--and understandably so--for people in the south to believe, but college football in New England is more or less a niche sport.

appisgreatest
December 10th, 2006, 09:43 PM
In most other parts of the country, a school the size of UMass would have football fans everywhere, but UMass is in New England, where interest in college football--and football in general, really--is about as mild as it is anywhere in the country. I wish it weren't that way, but that's just the way it is. I'm a born-and-bred New Englander and I love football, of course, but in general we just don't have it in our blood. There's just not the football culture that there is in the south, the midwest, and elsewhere. Having spent the past three-plus months in one of the most football-crazy towns in the country, I'm appreciating just how big the difference is.
It may be hard--and understandably so--for people in the south to believe, but college football in New England is more or less a niche sport.

:( Wow...what do you guys do up there?

B&G
December 10th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Isn't this the very reason O'Brien left BC to coach at NC State? I heard it was b/c the interest in college football was NOTHING due to the success of the pro teams in that area.

As for the game itself I think that the teams compare competitively in both stats and matchups. So what factors could set these two apart?

1) ASU's experience in Chattanooga bodes well however Armanti Edwards wasn't in last year championship game. Even though it appears the pressure won't affect him, will that be the case?
2) ASU fans will travel well. How many will show up for UMass?
3) Speaking of travelling, Mass just had a nice there-and-back trip to Montana. Will they be as fresh as ASU?
4) UMass has the edge in turnover margin. Turnovers will likely play a huge part in a game between two teams with solid defenses.

Maroon&White
December 10th, 2006, 10:29 PM
So what factors could set these two apart?

2) ASU fans will travel well. How many will show up for UMass?

Come on. How many fans travel to the game will have no factor on the game. The Griz crowd was supposed to beat UMass themselves and it didn't happen. A neutral site with a majority AppSt. fans isn't going to be a problem.

AppStateMan
December 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Come on. How many fans travel to the game will have no factor on the game. The Griz crowd was supposed to beat UMass themselves and it didn't happen. A neutral site with a majority AppSt. fans isn't going to be a problem.

Well our fans energize our players! To our players we are VERY important! So YES the fans do make a difference.
Boone, NC is Mountaineer crazy!!!!!

B&G
December 10th, 2006, 10:46 PM

Gosh, then I guess it's a good thing I phrased it as what COULD be a factor rather than what WILL be a factor.

ncguitarplyr
December 10th, 2006, 10:48 PM
yeah umass beat montana at montana...doesn't mean they wouldn't have beaten them even worse AT umass....the crowd does matter...especially on defense

Maroon&White
December 10th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Well our fans energize our players!

Your fans will be energizing the UMass players too.

UMass922
December 10th, 2006, 11:48 PM
:( Wow...what do you guys do up there?

Hate the Yankees. And in Connecticut (where I'm from), follow Husky basketball 24/7. Football--including the Patriots, even--is second-tier at best.

appfan2008
December 11th, 2006, 12:05 AM

I really wouldn't call it a neutral site when more than 90% of the fans are rooting for one team and the site is a familiar place for only one of the teams

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 12:08 AM
what days are the teams leaving?

ASU Kep
December 11th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I think App leaves on Weds., but I'm not sure. I know they're there on Thurs.

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I really wouldn't call it a neutral site when more than 90% of the fans are rooting for one team and the site is a familiar place for only one of the teams

It was the same scenario for the '98 UMass team in Chatty against GSU, and those Minutemen did just fine. Whether or not this year's team can do the same--well, I guess we'll find out on Friday night.

appfan2008
December 11th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I heard APP was leaving tuesday?!?!?!

Mr. C
December 11th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I think App leaves on Weds., but I'm not sure. I know they're there on Thurs.
Both teams have obligations in Chattanooga on Wednesday. ASU will be leaving on Tuesday and I'd expect UMass to do the same.

umassfan
December 11th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Both teams have obligations in Chattanooga on Wednesday. ASU will be leaving on Tuesday and I'd expect UMass to do the same.
UMass leaves wed morning from what I hear.

ASUGirl703
December 11th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Your fans will be energizing the UMass players too.

That's fine if our fans energize their players as well because either way our players will be pumped up. No doubt about it our fans help feed our defenses energy. No matter what happens i'll be cheering for my apps all the way!!! :hurray:

umassfan
December 11th, 2006, 01:17 AM
That's fine if our fans energize their players as well because either way our players will be pumped up. No doubt about it our fans help feed our defenses energy. No matter what happens i'll be cheering for my apps all the way!!! :hurray:
It would be smarter for App fans to sit on their hands then to cheer and pump up the minutemen. We gave up only 10 pts to Montana at Montana and 7 of them came from their hurry up vs our prevent to end the first half.

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 01:18 AM
you are not going to have a bigger homefield than we had last week, the umass team will be ready for whatever

AppStateMan
December 11th, 2006, 07:23 AM
It would be smarter for App fans to sit on their hands then to cheer and pump up the minutemen. We gave up only 10 pts to Montana at Montana and 7 of them came from their hurry up vs our prevent to end the first half.

You UMass fans just don't understand.......if you have been to a game at the Rock, you know how important those fans are. So you can say all you want about the fans playing no factor in this one, but just trust us App fans and you'll see Friday night for yourselves. Go APPS!

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2006, 07:26 AM
you are not going to have a bigger homefield than we had last week, the umass team will be ready for whatever

The "home-field" factor is a measurable one, but I agree that if UMass can win at Montana, then it does not bother them. OK, fine.

Question is: How does it affect ASU? I heard a great answer from a former Furman player on the ASU message board (I think, although it could have been from a radio interview). Anyway, this player was asked if Furman was intimidated when Furman came to Kidd Brewer Stadium. He replied, no they really were not intimidated, but ASU sure played better there.

So, perhaps UMass is used to playing in hostile environments. Sounds like they have never gotten much out of their home crowd anyhow. But, ASU fans will be there; my guess is ~12,500, maybe more, in the stands. So, plus the fact that this will be the fourth time the team has played in Finley Stadium in one year, to the ASU team, it may just feel like home.

Good luck to UMass. I think this will be a great game.

Col Hogan
December 11th, 2006, 07:36 AM
You UMass fans just don't understand.......if you have been to a game at the Rock, you know how important those fans are. So you can say all you want about the fans playing no factor in this one, but just trust us App fans and you'll see Friday night for yourselves. Go APPS!

My friend, we DO understand. Apprently, what we understand better than you, is that the two football teams play the game, not the loud fans. They do not impact our team. WE have played, and won, in the loudest...(Griz, you guys definatly get the honor of the loudest :hurray: ) . SO, I hope your team under estimates UMass as much as you over estimate the fan's impact on the game.

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2006, 07:41 AM
My friend, we DO understand. Apprently, what we understand better than you, is that the two football teams play the game, not the loud fans. They do not impact our team. WE have played, and won, in the loudest...(Griz, you guys definatly get the honor of the loudest :hurray: ) . SO, I hope your team under estimates UMass as much as you over estimate the fan's impact on the game.

See my above post re: the fan's impact on the game. And I can assure you and all UMass fans, coaches, & players that ASU's coaches and players are not underestimating UMass.

I expect a great game. See you there.

Sam Adams
December 11th, 2006, 07:42 AM
UMass has great fans, UMass has won on the road in front of great fans for other schools. I think fans like to believe they have more to do with the game then they actually do. Fans do not block, tackle, kick, punt, pass, catch or score.

Appguy
December 11th, 2006, 07:44 AM
They do not impact our team.
Tell that to whoever false starts after not hearing the cadence right

BillLuc1982
December 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM
UMass played as a team to beat Montana and had strong leadership under Coen. They will give Appy St. a game thanks to their run defense.

But Appy St. will show why they're #1...

Appalachian State 20
UMass 16

Col Hogan
December 11th, 2006, 07:52 AM
See my above post re: the fan's impact on the game. And I can assure you and all UMass fans, coaches, & players that ASU's coaches and players are not underestimating UMass.

I expect a great game. See you there.

I'm stuck using a dial-up :bang: connection today, so I missed your post as I tried to get mine complete.

Here's what I know:

The ASU team and coaches will NOT under estimate UMass
The ASU fans who over estimate their impact could be in for a big let-down
The UMass coaches and team will NOT under estimate ASU
We are in for a wail of a game Friday

HLecter
December 11th, 2006, 07:54 AM

i definitely agree with the above

Also agree with App playing VERY well at home for whatever reason

thirdly agree that Chatt will be rocking with App crazies (I saw them Saturday) but they may not let the students bring all that "Apparati"
in.

Fourthly agree that the fans will have NO impact on this game

UMASS too good and too experienced

I am just a very agreeable guy right now, it must be cause it is close to FRICKEN X-MAS:eyebrow:

Should be a great one, hope the weather holds out.

GO YOSEF!

GO PENGUINS AND THANKS FOR THE GREAT SEASON:hurray:

HLecter
December 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM
If I missed this, sorry but

UMASS--have you guys faced this type offense before?? Anybody in your league run it?

curious

AppStateMan
December 11th, 2006, 07:58 AM
UMass has great fans, UMass has won on the road in front of great fans for other schools. I think fans like to believe they have more to do with the game then they actually do. Fans do not block, tackle, kick, punt, pass, catch or score.

I had no idea!!!:eek:

This will be a great game and the atmosphere will be great! This is by far the best team App has faced all season!

We do not under estimate you at all. Your a great team. You did win in Montana. But for ASU I will still say our fans do affect OUR players.

hApPYaPpYFan
December 11th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Any athelete will tell you that an involved fan base does pump them up. That being said ASU is facing the toughest test yet in a very,very good UMASS team. Hopefully the screaming,crazy fans will push us over the top! Good luck to all and have a great time in Chatty.

Black Saturday
December 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM
That should clinch the championship for Appalachian State with MplsBison picking against th Mountaineers yet again. He has picked against them every week in the playoffs.

The schedule doesn't mean squat at this point in the season. Both teams have beaten top-10 teams in the last two rounds to get to the final.

I guess the A-10 disregards the September 9 ASU defeat of JMU 21-10.
It just doesn't matter that we beat one of their champs.xidiotx

umassfan
December 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I guess the A-10 disregards the September 9 ASU defeat of JMU 21-10.
It just doesn't matter that we beat one of their champs.xidiotx
One of whos champs? Not the A10s. UMass won the A10 outright.

appfan2008
December 11th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Does anyone know anything about additional temporary seating being added to the stadium in Chatty if enough people want to go?

BigApp
December 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM
It was the same scenario for the '98 UMass team in Chatty against GSU, and those Minutemen did just fine. Whether or not this year's team can do the same--well, I guess we'll find out on Friday night.

I think you're in trouble...we won't be wearing any "gay blue pants" xlolx xlolx

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I'm stuck using a dial-up :bang: connection today, so I missed your post as I tried to get mine complete.

Here's what I know:

The ASU team and coaches will NOT under estimate UMass
The ASU fans who over estimate their impact could be in for a big let-down
The UMass coaches and team will NOT under estimate ASU
We are in for a wail of a game Friday

DJP:
#1: agree
#2: agree that the game will be decided by the teams on the field
#3: agree
#4: Definitely agree

It seems to me the UMass posters are saying that ASU's fans will not affect their team's performance negatively. Based on what I saw on TV in Montana, I agree.

But, the ASU posters are saying that the ASU fans' cheering will affect the ASU team positively in Chatty. To this I also agree. Please note the distinction. Both points are correct.

Griswold
December 11th, 2006, 10:51 AM
To say the least I'm concerned about how much UMASS likes to blitz and with a freshman QB that could lead to some poor decisions. Edwards has had an unbelievable year but has he faced a blitzing defense like UMASS?

On the other hand those blitzes could lead to some huge ASU plays.

BigApp
December 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM
One of whos champs? Not the A10s. UMass won the A10 outright.

did you play JMU?? No, you didn't. Therefore, you don't know if you could have beaten them. And, how a conference can name you an "outright champion" when you didn't play the #2 team, is ridiculous.

As a matter of fact, the toughest conference team you played this year would have been an (at-best, depending on how you break the ties) 3rd place New Hampshire team.

You didn't play your conferences' "#2" team, which was JMU, who IS a champion in your league, South Division champs.

But, MplsBison says your schedule was tougher, and he's on your side. That should count for something.

Sam Adams
December 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Any athelete will tell you that an involved fan base does pump them up. That being said ASU is facing the toughest test yet in a very,very good UMASS team. Hopefully the screaming,crazy fans will push us over the top! Good luck to all and have a great time in Chatty.

Any athlete might say that, but ultimately the players on the field have to play the game. You can yell & scream and have fog machines and mascots all you want, but if you don't execute on the field then it don't really matter how pumped up you were.

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2006, 11:07 AM
To say the least I'm concerned about how much UMASS likes to blitz and with a freshman QB that could lead to some poor decisions. Edwards has had an unbelievable year but has he faced a blitzing defense like UMASS?

On the other hand those blitzes could lead to some huge ASU plays.

Exactly. This is the kind of feast or famine defense that ASU could really pile up the yards and points on if the UMass blitzers cannot keep Edwards contained. If they don't, one of two things happens. Either he has open field to run for 10-20 yards at a time, or he's got single coverage on a group of receivers that all pose different problems for UMass. Jackson can easily get behind them, Mayfield and Bettis can get in front of them and drag them, and Batichon and Richardson will quietly find some holes in the middle.

I am sure UMass will hit us for some big losses, but I am equally sure we will torch them on more than a few occasions and make them pay. If they back off, then we have succeeded in getting them out of their preferred style, and that favors us. Armanti will be the difference maker as nobody UMass has played against this year will compare to what he is capable of doing on the field.

B&G
December 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Gee I don't know. App has never seen a blitz before. App has never seen a physically bigger team before. App has never played a team that isn't affected by the fans. I guess it's easy to keep winning when you never see that kind of stuff.

ncguitarplyr
December 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM
interesting thing i noticed:

most points scored against massachusetts = 21 (bcs navy)
most points scored against appalachian = 28 (#1 ranked fcs offense coastal carolina and part of that was against our 2nd team)

but the difference is massachusetts hasn't had too many high scoring offensive games against good teams and app has had plenty putting up like 38 against montana state and 49 against youngstown state

B&G
December 11th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Question for UMass fans... on a scale of 1-10, what would you rank UMass' performance against Montana? I'm just curious if you think they played an A+ game or if it was just an above average performance and they're capable of more.

lizrdgizrd
December 11th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I guess we'll be ok, we don't have any blue pants. :smiley_wi

DrG
December 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Question for UMass fans... on a scale of 1-10, what would you rank UMass' performance against Montana? I'm just curious if you think they played an A+ game or if it was just an above average performance and they're capable of more.
8.5 to 9, simply for being able to win in that environment. Coen still made some mistakes, and there were a couple of questionable coaching decisions, although the overall effort was outstanding. I was especially impressed with the lack of false starts in all that noise. We have not played a mistake-free game yet this year, so I'm hoping we put it all together on Friday.

BigApp
December 11th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Massachusetts blitzing=Armanti Edwards running

do the Minutemen really want to see that?

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 12:07 PM

I'll say A-, maybe B+ if I want to be excessively harsh and picky. Coen made a couple bad throws--throwing two picks in a game is unheard of from him--although he did complete a number of key passes on third down that helped keep the ball moving. But the interceptions were really really bad--passes he had no business throwing. Has me a little bit worried.

Baylark was A+, of course. Had the game of his career, given the stage he was playing on. I hope he's got one more game like that in him.

Koegel, our punter, also gets an A+. Baylark won us the time-of-possession battle, and Koegel won us the field-position battle. Co-MVPs as far as I'm concerned.

The defense did what it's supposed to do, though Montana's TD drive at the end of the first half looked way too easy.

The penalties were infuriating. And the crowd/environment is no excuse, because we always commit a ton of penalties anyway. I don't know what it will take to put that to an end. Drives me nuts.

Questionable playcalling came into play yet again, too. I'm mainly thinking of the decision to attempt that long field goal at the end. Not much of a chance to make it, and we could have just taken a delay of game penalty and given Koegel some more room to pooch it inside the ten, as he'd been doing all night. Even if he just kicks a touchback we still move Montana ten yards further back. And even just going for it would have been a better call, IMHO. Trying the FG was the last thing I would have done, and it made me more upset than anything UMass did that night. I also didn't like the decision to pass on the third-and-short play the preceded the made FG early in the quarter.

I'll just say A- overall, considering the circumstances. UMass will not have played its A game, though, as long as the same old problems continue to rear their ugly head. The good thing is that they've always overcome them and managed to win--but the margin for error against Appalachian State will be less than against anyone we've played all year, and that has me anxious.

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Gee I don't know. App has never seen a blitz before. App has never seen a physically bigger team before. App has never played a team that isn't affected by the fans. I guess it's easy to keep winning when you never see that kind of stuff.

Personally, I liked the idea of a "spy", instead of a blitz. Blitzing does not seem to work real well against our O. Of course, the "spying" deal did not work either. How about some "secret spy" blitzes that are unrecognizable. That'll fool him. He's just a freshman. But d___, can he play. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Maroon&White
December 11th, 2006, 12:14 PM
but the margin for error against Appalachian State will be less than against anyone we've played all year, and that has me anxious.

Same thing has been said week after week after week. And week after week after week, UMass has overcome it. Why should this week be any different?

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I'll say A-, maybe B+ if I want to be excessively harsh and picky. Coen made a couple bad throws--throwing two picks in a game is unheard of from him--although he did complete a number of key passes on third down that helped keep the ball moving. But the interceptions were really really bad--passes he had no business throwing. Has me a little bit worried.

Baylark was A+, of course. Had the game of his career, given the stage he was playing on. I hope he's got one more game like that in him.

Koegel, our punter, also gets an A+. Baylark won us the time-of-possession battle, and Koegel won us the field-position battle. Co-MVPs as far as I'm concerned.

The defense did what it's supposed to do, though Montana's TD drive at the end of the first half looked way too easy.

The penalties were infuriating. And the crowd/environment is no excuse, because we always commit a ton of penalties anyway. I don't know what it will take to put that to an end. Drives me nuts.

Questionable playcalling came into play yet again, too. I'm mainly thinking of the decision to attempt that long field goal at the end. Not much of a chance to make it, and we could have just taken a delay of game penalty and given Koegel some more room to pooch it inside the ten, as he'd been doing all night. Even if he just kicks a touchback we still move Montana ten yards further back. And even just going for it would have been a better call, IMHO. Trying the FG was the last thing I would have done, and it made me more upset than anything UMass did that night. I also didn't like the decision to pass on the third-and-short play the preceded the made FG early in the quarter.

I'll just say A- overall, considering the circumstances. UMass will not have played its A game, though, as long as the same old problem continue to rear their ugly head. The good thing is that they've always overcome them and managed to win--but the margin for error against Appalachian State will be less than against anyone we've played all year, and that has me anxious.

Well said. Can't wait for Friday.:hurray:

Old Cage
December 11th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I don't think these App folks realize that they are the underdog.

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Same thing has been said week after week after week. And week after week after week, UMass has overcome it. Why should this week be any different?

I think the poster to whom you were referring meant that ASU is the best team UMass has played all season.

I agree with that, and that UMass looks to be the best team ASU has played all season, both on-paper and based on what I saw at the Montana game.

Should be a great game. Good luck UMass.

BigApp
December 11th, 2006, 12:19 PM
^^ ain't touching that one

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Yeah, we're a bunch of dolts. Just sittin' here spittin' 'backer & sippin' 'shine. 'Ptooie.

Maroon&White
December 11th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I think the poster to whom you were referring meant that ASU is the best team UMass has played all season.

The same old problem is penalties. Every week people say penalties are going to cost UMass, but every week they don't.

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 12:24 PM

I don't know whether or not this week will be different. Just saying that I have reason enough to be anxious and concerned. What can I say--my disposition is not a confident, hopeful, or optimistic one in general.

Still, I'm very excited, and even though what I saw from ASU on Saturday scares me quite a bit, I still think we have a chance. I just have a tendency to dwell on what could go wrong.

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2006, 12:27 PM

xlolxxlolx

That was a good one.

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Why should it matter to them? Wouldn't matter to me. Most of them seem to think they have a very good team, that they have a good chance to win, and that UMass will be a tough opponent. They're right on all counts, regardless of what the point spread is. UMass being a favorite (are we? I haven't seen any lines yet) doesn't make me any more confident, and shouldn't make ASU fans any less confident.

Maroon&White
December 11th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I don't know whether or not this week will be different. Just saying that I have reason enough to be anxious and concerned. What can I say--my disposition is not a confident, hopeful, or optimistic one in general.

I can definitely see why one would be concerned. After a big offensive play by UMass I am always looking for a flag to negate it. The nature of this team is to pick up penalties. Might not be pretty, but they have proven they can win while still getting penalized. I have come to accept it, though I still don't like it.

ncguitarplyr
December 11th, 2006, 12:32 PM
i think blitzing against app is the exact opposite of what you should do....you should put out a lot of coverage and hope our freshman qb tries to force something and have a spy in case he runs

DrG
December 11th, 2006, 12:34 PM
xlolxxlolx

That was a good one.
For what it's worth, they are a virtual pick 'em in the Sagarin ratings: #53 UMass 73.26, #56 Appalachian State 72.89. Like I said, FWIW.

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I can definitely see why one would be concerned. After a big offensive play by UMass I am always looking for a flag to negate it. The nature of this team is to pick up penalties. Might not be pretty, but they have proven they can win while still getting penalized. I have come to accept it, though I still don't like it.

It's not like we're angels on the field ourselves. We've been hit by penalties a lot this year (though in the playoffs, our penalties have gone way down outside of the back and forths with the Montana State players). One big thing for us is our abilities to get 10+ yards a play on both the ground and air a lot has really neutralized the effects of them.

If UMass can slow down our offense, it's very possible we could further hamstring ourselves with penalties. But I'm more concerned with fumbles than penalties on our side.

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2006, 12:35 PM
For what it's worth, they are a virtual pick 'em in the Sagarin ratings: #53 UMass 73.26, #56 Appalachian State 72.89. Like I said, FWIW.

Accordign to Sagarin, we were also only a 3 point favorite at home against YSU last week. Look what happened there. FWIW.

Both teams are good. What I am waiting to see (and what no computer can determine) is if UMass is the team that finally has the horses to run with us. We're both 13-1 but have gotten there in decidedly different paths. And, as with the weeks prior, I'll take speed over size every time. And I don't think that the size UMass has can run with us, else they'd not be in I-AA, they'd be in I-A. But that's the beauty of Friday, it will tell all.

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Which means there's not much ground for calling one team or the other here an "underdog." I think that's what's garnering the laughs from ASU fans, and understandably so.

BigApp
December 11th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Which means there's not much ground for calling one team or the other here an "underdog." I think that's what's garnering the laughs from ASU fans, and understandably so.

Agreed!

DrG
December 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Personally, I'd rather be the underdog.

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Personally, I'd rather be the underdog.

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

appstate1998
December 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM
according to each school's statistics

App penalties 96-903
UMASS Penalties 93-817

ncguitarplyr
December 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM
its the #1 vs #3 (however they've proved they should atleast be #2)....theres always an underdog...in this case umass is a SLIGHT underdog and umass winning would be a MINOR upset

ASUGirl703
December 11th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Well I just got back from the ticket office and ASU has officially sold out their share of the championship tickets!!! Can't wait for the game and all the screaming fans!!!:) Good luck to both teams and may the best team win!!

BigApp
December 11th, 2006, 01:23 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

mcveyrl
December 11th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Please give me your number or something so i can go ahead and place my bet on UMass +24. I figure you'd have no problem taking that one, right?

Wow. I have read this whole thread and wasted so many minutes of my life that I can't get back on homerism. A small percentage of these posts were insightful, but the rest were just "hey, here's why we're going to win" posts. Granted, that's a big part of what this site is hear for, but this one should've had a big HOMER ALERT on the front. I haven't seen hardly any type of player by player analysis, mostly stats that mean (as several have pointed out) nothing. I'm thinking of starting a thread just so non-UMass and non-ASU fans can post about the game.

gamesaver22
December 11th, 2006, 03:32 PM
go for it, i mean people get on here to speak wat the say, if it was JMU you would not say they would lose even if they were suppose to lose by a ton. So don't give me that Homer Alert BULL**** becuase you would be in the same spot as us ASU and UMass fans. This is going to be a good game, dont get me wrong but, no fan is going to say thier team is going to lose. So shove that bull**** back up you ass, and start you damn Non-ASU Non-Umass thread

psc2445
December 11th, 2006, 03:40 PM
go for it, i mean people get on here to speak wat the say, if it was JMU you would not say they would lose even if they were suppose to lose by a ton. So don't give me that Homer Alert BULL**** becuase you would be in the same spot as us ASU and UMass fans. This is going to be a good game, dont get me wrong but, no fan is going to say thier team is going to lose. So shove that bull**** back up you ass, and start you damn Non-ASU Non-Umass thread

tell him how you really feel:thumbsup:

appfan2008
December 11th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I hope we can get as many ASU fans in there as possible

mcveyrl
December 11th, 2006, 03:47 PM
tell him how you really feel:thumbsup:

Wow. No kidding. Sensitive, are we?

Look, I don't expect people to say their team is going to lose. But give me something other than "Edwards is fast" or "Look, we beat Montana at their house."

Honestly, I look to most of the fans on here that see their team week in and week out to give me a breakdown of the team and what to look for compared to the other team. At least give the other team credit (and I don't think "it will be close" is giving the team credit). I'd like to hear an ASU fan say, "I'm worried about X of UMass, we haven't faced anybody like him before." Instead, it's all this homer "been there, done that" crap.

I'm not saying you have to drop your homerism (no fan could do that!), but I got tired of reading "The other team is inadequate because..." or "that doesn't worry me because..."

Incidentally, I'm not interested in gamesaver's analysis. This is the guy that questioned UMass's 7 points against Northeastern. Way to keep up! Anybody that followed college football (at any level) knew that was a crap-tastic weather weekend.

appstate1998
December 11th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Look, I don't expect people to say their team is going to lose. But give me something other than "Edwards is fast" or "Look, we beat Montana at their house."

Honestly, I look to most of the fans on here that see their team week in and week out to give me a breakdown of the team and what to look for compared to the other team. At least give the other team credit (and I don't think "it will be close" is giving the team credit). I'd like to hear an ASU fan say, "I'm worried about X of UMass, we haven't faced anybody like him before." Instead, it's all this homer "been there, done that" crap.

I'm not saying you have to drop your homerism (no fan could do that!), but I got tired of reading "The other team is inadequate because..." or "that doesn't worry me because..."

how bout...we beat JMU at our house?

thmst30
December 11th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Good post. I always try to give the other team credit. However I honestly don't know much about Umass, but they did beat Montana and have the same 13-1 record as us so they gotta be pretty good.

mcveyrl
December 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I hope we can get as many ASU fans in there as possible

So are you going to give me UMass +24??

I guarantee some of your ASU brethren will take you up on that one.

Edit: My bad. I think I got my 2008/1998 mixed up.

Mountaineer
December 11th, 2006, 03:54 PM

I'll say it..I don't expect a blowout on either end. I really think UMass may have an advantage. Baylark is one scary dude and I think that UMass will do well keeping the ball in his hands and keeping our offense off the field.

I also worry about the little out of the backfield screen passes. Those have seemed to give ASU fits with some long gains. I worry about Armanti playing in a game where the team blitzes a lot and will be gunning for him every play. He is only a freshman and I wonder if he will get "happy feet" that leads to turnovers.

So yeah. UMass is a dangerous team and I wouldn't be surpised at all to see the Minutemen win it. I hope I'm wrong, but you just never know. :thumbsup:

mcveyrl
December 11th, 2006, 03:56 PM
how bout...we beat JMU at our house?

That's excellent smack!! Which means diddly to me since we're not playing. xlolx xlolx I'm much more disappointed that our season's over than that we lost to ASU.

I've got no problem saying now that ASU is a better team than us. I'd have to be xidiotx xidiotx to say otherwise.

How bout...you're an idiot who can only smack and predict a 25 point win for your team? If you were a JMU poster, I'd be ashamed of you (trust me, we've got guys like you and I'm ashamed).

mcveyrl
December 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Good post. I always try to give the other team credit. However I honestly don't know much about Umass, but they did beat Montana and have the same 13-1 record as us so they gotta be pretty good.

Thank you!! I think admitting ignorance about the team and then praising their record/competition is much better than comparing stats like they are the Bible of football.

mcveyrl
December 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I'll say it..I don't expect a blowout on either end. I really think UMass may have an advantage. Baylark is one scary dude and I think that UMass will do well keeping the ball in his hands and keeping our offense off the field.

I also worry about the little out of the backfield screen passes. Those have seemed to give ASU fits with some long gains. I worry about Armanti playing in a game where the team blitzes a lot and will be gunning for him every play. He is only a freshman and I wonder if he will get "happy feet" that leads to turnovers.

So yeah. UMass is a dangerous team and I wouldn't be surpised at all to see the Minutemen win it. I hope I'm wrong, but you just never know. :thumbsup:

You sir, are a man after my own heart...:nod: :nod:

appstate1998
December 11th, 2006, 04:15 PM
That's excellent smack!! Which means diddly to me since we're not playing. xlolx xlolx I'm much more disappointed that our season's over than that we lost to ASU.

I've got no problem saying now that ASU is a better team than us. I'd have to be xidiotx xidiotx to say otherwise.

How bout...you're an idiot who can only smack and predict a 25 point win for your team? If you were a JMU poster, I'd be ashamed of you (trust me, we've got guys like you and I'm ashamed).

well you can go to

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17796

and see where I said I was joking about that, but even if I wasn't, why is it hard to think ASU couldn't win by that much. Do I think they will? Of course not, but I wouldn't call anyone an idiot for predicting that after the way they mauled their first three opponents.....

B&G
December 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM
You want a head to head matchup?

QB
-----------------------------
Liam Coen: 14 games 65.4% comp 2795 yds 9.3 ysd/att 25 TD 8 INT
30 rushes for -60 yards w/ a long of 14.

Armanti Edwards: 14 games 60.8% comp 2105 yds 8.3 yds/att 15 td 9 int
173 rushes for 1072 yards 15 td w/ a long of 44.

-- Coen obviously isn't the running threat that Edwards is however he does appear to be more accurate. Despite the average mobility, Coen has only been sacked 14 times which is a reflection of both his decision making and the UMass pass blocking. It should be noted that half of Coen's INT's this season have come during the playoffs. Edwards has only been sacked 10 times and has eclipsed 100 yards rushing in each of the playoff games. His biggest weakness appears to be that he loosely carries the ball when he first leaves the pocket.

Would someone like to do the RB preview?

mcveyrl
December 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM
You want a head to head matchup?

-- Coen obviously isn't the running threat that Edwards is however he does appear to be more accurate. Despite the average mobility, Coen has only been sacked 14 times which is a reflection of both his decision making and the UMass pass blocking. It should be noted that half of Coen's INT's this season have come during the playoffs. Edwards has only been sacked 10 times and has eclipsed 100 yards rushing in each of the playoff games. His biggest weakness appears to be that he loosely carries the ball when he first leaves the pocket.

Would someone like to do the RB preview?

Thanks!

Are those 10 sacks in the playoffs or all year? Also, I saw the fumbles against Montana State. Was that common during the year or was it just a quick mental blip?

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2006, 04:37 PM
What else do you want? UMass is the third team in three weeks we'll play cut out of almost the exact same mold. Just like MSU and YSU, they have an team that is keyed by the running of their tailback and their defense. Establishing the run would open up their passing game with playaction and screens if they can establish the run as a threat. Only neither of them were able to do that. If UMass is forced to be a pass-first team, that's not their preferred style of play. Liam Coen is not a star quarterback that's going to beat you on his own. Their receivers, while tall and good, are not stars. Their star is Baylark, and as he goes UMass goes.

The question will be can their offensive line keep ASU's D-line at bay, something nobody has been able to do for a whole game yet this year. We've faced teams in each of the last three weeks that have had big offensive lines, lines our smaller guys were supposed to never get around. Yet somehow we did so time and again and limited rushing attacks and slammed the quarterback into the ground multiple times. Our tiny defensive backs have managed to blanket those big wideouts and found few jumpballs that they couldn't get to, and Lynch and Wiggins have nabbed errant passes.

On the flip side there has not been a defense in I-AA yet that has kept us at bay unless we turn the ball over. Nobody has kept Armanti and Richardson at bay. Nobody has prevented our atheltic O-line from opening Mack-truck sized holes at every conceiveable angle of attack. When teams have gotten in the backfield, rarely have they managed to get Edwards or Richardson down on the first try. Teams have consistenyl put their fastest players on the scout team to try and mimic what we do, yet come game time Edwards and Richardson are running wild all over the place.

If you are an ASU fan, you've seen this movie two weeks in a row now. Perhaps UMass has the talent to make this script play out differently, but from what I have seen I do not think that to be the case. Baylark is a good open field runner and tough, but he's not going to break gang tackles, so it will be up the UMass line to open those holes. If UMass can do that, then on defense we will be in more trouble than we've been all postseason. Because our limemen and linebackers have speed to burn, and are very strong for their size. They maybe can't move a 330-pounder alone, but they don't have to if they are quick enough to get around the guy who's more likely in I-AA because he is only big and not fast to boot.

On defense, I expect UMass to do exactly what they've done so far, put lots of pressure with blitzes. It's worked for them and at this point you don't change much, there's no time with the short week to do so. The problem is that they have not faced a quarterback with the escapability Armanti has, and that will kill UMass if they cannot contain him. How many times have you seen Armanti this postseason escape, bounce off tacklers, and fire the ball downfield for positive yardage (sometimes a lot)? How many times have you seen it look like he's dead to rights, only to juke and take off into the secondary? I expect, as has been the case in weeks past, that Armanti will escape the pressure and either get the passes out to receivers that will be under a lot less coverage, or he'll take off. Maybe UMass sticks with it in hopes that they'll get to him enough to cause a pick, or maybe they'll back off and try coverage and a spy, which has already been proven totally ineffective against us this postseason.

The UMass blitz could affect the running game, even though Richardson has proven time and again he rarely goes down on the first hit. But screens and flare passes can get him outside the blitz and matched up on DB's and linebackers, a matchup you want. And Mayfield will be a load because he's not a deep threat as a big guy, he's a posession receiver who can block and drag smaller DB's for a few more yards. And don't forget about Bettis who makes people pay the few times he gets the ball.

Wait, I know what's coming already... "but we have the athletes they don't have. We can run with you and stop you. Our big guys will grind you down." Well, then be the first team in I-AA to actually back up the words this year. Because the same crap has been mouthed by teams for weeks now, and the results are the same.

UMass is a very good team, I have no doubt of that. You don't get to this game by accident. But I've been watching the games, and I've been focusing a lot on watching how fast the players look on TV compared to our guys, and UMass, while looking faster in some areas than the rest, still don't match up in my eyes. I know it's subjective, but at this point it's all I have to go on.

What am I worried about? ASU turning the ball over. That's it. I think that is the single biggest factor that will determine if we go in the record books as a repeat champion or not. Because I strongly believe that if ASU plays good or great football, they will not be beaten on Friday, even by UMass' best efforts. This team has played on a different level, especially in the playoffs. CAN we be beaten? Absolutely. But so far nobody's stepped up to a level needed to do it, both when we played a not-so-good game (MSU) and good games (CCU and YSU).

If people want to consider that smack, then fine. But it's what I truly believe and I'll need evidence to prove I am wrong. I'm not going to BS around and fake humility when I feel my team is a superior team. It's not discounting UMass in any way, shape, or form. I expect a tough game from both sides. I expect we will see some memorabale plays in this game from both sides. I also believe that the Appalachian State University football team is the better team, and will show it on Friday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

B&G
December 11th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks!

Are those 10 sacks in the playoffs or all year? Also, I saw the fumbles against Montana State. Was that common during the year or was it just a quick mental blip?

The 10 sacks are for the entire season. In the playoffs I think he has only been sacked 3 times. Two of those were in the Montana State game. He has improved thru the season on not taking big losses during sacks. The fumbles weren't common during the year BUT they were a common theme in games where ASU was in a dogfight... and were probably a top factor in why the game was a dogfight. Edwards is good at not getting down on himself after a bad play. He usually goes out and avenges it. Look at the GA Southern game. He had some rough times but ended up willing them to victory in OT.