PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 11.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 8th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I was 4-1 last week as Mercer shocked the SoCon world yesterday. Chattanooga can still make the playoffs, all they need to do is win this week. Here is where I have it after this week:

1) The Citadel (IN) - Defends the Silver Shako.
2) Chattanooga (1 of 2) - Hopes of undefeated conference season dashed.
3) Western Carolina (2 of 2) - Keeps their playoff hopes alive.
4) Furman (OUT) - Came home with a case of Cat Scratch Fever.
5) Wofford (OUT) - Had the week off.
6) Mercer (OUT) - Quality of SoCon win lands them here.
7) Samford (OUT) - Hammers Clark Atlanta.
8) VMI (OUT) - Got drummed out.
ETSU - Had a DI opponent slip away.

Predictions
Mercer @ Furman - Paladins win the Lamb Bowl.
Samford @ Wofford - Terriers defend their turf.
The Citadel @ Chattanooga (Game of the Week) - Mocs punch their ticket to the playoffs.
Western Carolina @ Texas A&M - Catamounts go 0-2 against the SEC.
ETSU @ Gardner-Webb - Bucs have a valiant effort but come up short.

kdinva
November 8th, 2015, 04:12 PM
1) The Citadel
2) UTC
3) WCU
4) Wofford
5) Furman
t6) Mercer
t6) Samford
t6) VMI

Mercer 23 @ Furman 28
Samford 27 @ Wofford 30
The Citadel 21 @ UTC 24
WCU 20 @ Texas A&M - 49
ETSU 17 @ Gardner-Webb 24

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 8th, 2015, 04:28 PM
El Cid has no chance. UTC eats the triple option for breakfast.

Chattown told me so.

CID1990
November 8th, 2015, 04:45 PM
If anyone is predicting that UTC will win then it stands to reason that UTC should still be #1 in the power rankings. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OL FU
November 8th, 2015, 05:28 PM
If anyone is predicting that UTC will win then it stands to reason that UTC should still be #1 in the power rankings. Just sayin

Upsets happenxeyebrowx

Catamount87
November 8th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Rankings
1. The Citadel - Playing the strongest, most consistent ball in the SoCon
2. Chattanooga - Learned you have to show up EVERY week in the SoCon, not just the week's the other team talked trash last year.
3. Western Carolina - Confidence restored after last week's failure to show up
4. Wofford - they can solidify this position with a win against Samford
5. Mercer - Proved they are competitive and can't be overlooked
6. Furman - Their freefall is only eclipsed by Samford
7. Samford - Finally got to hammer an opponent too bad it was an opponent that wasn't much of a challenge
8. VMI - In desperate need of a week off

Predictions
Mercer @ Furman - The Bears make it two weeks in a row against a down and out opponent
Samford @ Wofford - The Terrier option is too much for the non-existent Samford defense
The Citadel @ Chattanooga (Game of the Week) - Mocs find that motivation again but barely pull it out in the end.
Western Carolina @ Texas A&M - At least the Cats collect a big paycheck

ElCid
November 8th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Power Rankings
1) The Citadel - crazy game this past week but the Dogs came through; with Cobb out it appeared that the Dogs could hog the ball all day racking up TDs; but VMI hunkered down and The Citadel's QB went down in the 2nd; we didn't rack up TDs but we racked up FGs instead, a school record 5; fumblitice stuck the Dogs again as well with 3 given up; between the stalled O, fumbles and having what I guess can be called the 3rd sting QB (Belton) in it was a surpise that we did as well as we did; the reason? Even though Belton did pretty good for not having many snaps this year, for the second week in a row, The Citadel D came through; 4 INTs including 2 pick 6's; plus holding a Cobb'less VMI to 100 yards at half and 212 for the game; overall the Dogs have had a streaky season; after starting out with 2 convincing games against Davidson and WCU (glad we played WCU early) we seem to fall apart against Ga So and CSU only to come back with 3 games where we played lights out; then we seemed to sink again with sloppy play against Mercer and VMI; if the Dogs can get Allen back (likely), hold on to the ball and continue keeping the opposing Ds off balance with some timely passes, they can finish strong with a W at UTC and a competitive game in Columbia; I am not worried about the D at all as long as the O sustains drives
2) Chattanooga - they have been playing with fire on and off all season and it finally bit them; not to take anything away from Mercer, but I suspect they might have been looking ahead, at least a little bit
3) Western Carolina - looking strong
4) Wofford - playing for pride and a winning season
5) Mercer - finally got the breakthrough they needed
6) Furman - back to dismal
7) Samford - looking for a victory or two to finish
8) VMI - hopefully Cobb can return healthy, they need him

Predictions
Mercer @ Furman - Mercer may have the confidence they need now, maybe not, as Furman lowers its goal to a winning season; edge to home team - 21-15
Samford @ Wofford - Wofford keeps it in gear but Samford keeps it close as it picks Wofford's secondary apart - 34-31
Western Carolina @ Texas A&M - WCU is playing very well at home this year so I might give them the edge at home:D, but not in College Station - 54-13
The Citadel @ Chattanooga (Game of the Year) - Which teams will show up? The UTC team that handled Furman, WCU and gave JSU all they could handle or the team that squeaked by VMI, the planet school, and got beat by Mercer? Or The Citadel team that handled Wofford, Samford, and Furman convincingly or the team that stumbled against CSU, looked horrible at Ga So, and although they got the Ws, looked sloppy against Mercer and VMI? Both teams and coaching staffs definitely have challenges this week; both Defenses are very good; key will be whether UTC can force enough three and outs or if the Dogs can clamp down on Huesman - 26-23

Side note: Had a great time at my thirtieth reunion and even though we looked pretty sloppy, we keep the Silver Shako another year! We had a record crowd for the year with 14,925, the biggest home crowd since 2009 Homecoming. Got to meet CID1990 in person, back from his worldwide wanderings, but missed my classmate BullDog85--must have been those Spartan masks (whose idea was that?!).

Playoffs: I kind of think both UTC and The Citadel are in regardless of what happens the next 2 weeks. This could obviously change depending on the rest of the field since besides UTC's stumble, there was much blood spilt this last week. While it is a bit of a longer shot, I think WCU is just outside right now unless it has a phenomenal game at A&M. UTC could end up 7-4 or 8-3 with a Div II W or if it pulls the upset of the year, 9-2. WCU will most likely go 7-4 with a DIV II W. The Citadel could be 7-4 or 8-3 but with 7 or 8 FCS wins (thank you Davidson:D); or if it pulls a substantial upset, 9-2. In regard to seeds, the Mercer loss hurts bad, but I think UTC may still get a seed at 8-3, if it knocks us off and plays "well" against FSU. Define "well" as you like, just not 70-3. However, if we knock off UTC and play "well" against USC, we might be in the running for a seed at 8-3 with 2 FBS losses and a loss to a top 10(?) CSU. If we end up 9-2, we get a seed no questions asked.

bonarae
November 8th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Furman
Wofford
Texas A&M
The Citadel
Bonus: Gardner-Webb

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2015, 09:12 AM
If Chattanooga loses to the Citadel, there is virtually no chance of getting into the playoffs.

Assuming they also lose to Florida State, they would be on a 3 game losing streak with only 6 DI wins (and no real quality, i.e. top 25, wins among those six).

I am as big a Moc fan as there is and I wouldn't give them a bid with that resume (not sandbagging or poor mouthing, it's just reality).

Saturday is basically win or go home for the Mocs.

(On a side note...special thanks to Austin Peay for dumping the Mocs from their schedule late and forcing Chattanooga into playing non-DI this year)

Smitty
November 9th, 2015, 09:25 AM
1) The Citadel
2) Chattanooga
3) Western Carolina
4) Furman
5) Wofford
6) Mercer
7) Samford
8) VMI

Predictions
Mercer @ Furman
Samford @ Wofford
The Citadel @ Chattanooga
Western Carolina @ Texas A&M

The Cats
November 9th, 2015, 11:00 AM
If Chattanooga loses to the Citadel, there is virtually no chance of getting into the playoffs.

(On a side note...special thanks to Austin Peay for dumping the Mocs from their schedule late and forcing Chattanooga into playing non-DI this year)

This is not AP's fault.

When the #3 team in the nation falls to a team with no conference wins, there is consequences.

Yeah, yeah, the Mocs beat the Cats, but the Cats beat the Bears.

Win and you make the playoffs.... lose you stay at home - but you won't be alone.

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I get it that the scheduling can be tough when teams back out. Still, you gotta win your games. No blaming the other guy when your destiny is completely in your control.

Pretty simple formula though, for UTC. Win and accomplish your goals. Lose and probably stay home.

walliver
November 9th, 2015, 12:37 PM
1) The Citadel - They keep winning.
2) Chattanooga - This team has the talent to make big things happen, but has underperformed much of this year. How do you have a "trap Game" loss to a team that came very close to beating you last year?
...gap here ...
3) WCU - beat up on a FU team that is inexplicably nosediving, but it may be too little too late.
4) Wofford - no turnovers against BYE
5) Furman - I had them pegged for top 2 at the start of the season, but have struggled lately
6) Mercer - big win for the program
7) Samford - not much time to turn things around.
8) VMI - Without Cobb, it's the old VMI

9) ETSU

This week:
Mercer at Furman - The Teddies have tasted blood and the Horsey People need to be ready for a fight. Mercer makes it 2 in a row 31-27
Samford at Wofford - Turnovers will decide this one, homer pick 28-24 Terriers
The Citadel at Chatty - It's do or die time for the Mocs' National Championship goal. UTC has the talent for a comfortable win, but the lowcountry pups have more heart and squeak out a 28-27 win.
Western Carolina at Texas A&M - The Aggies put the Cants out of their playoff anxiety 56-21
ETSU and Gardner Webb - The mountain pirate's dismal restarting season is winding down with a 27-17 loss to the pups.

Playoff spots:
1) The Citadel - Guaranteed with a win, on the bubble with a loss.
2) Chattanooga - Guaranteed with a win, probably stay home with a loss

Western needs to beat Texas A&M to get a spot. A six D-I win team with no quality wins is not going to beat out Chattanooga for a bubble spot.

The SoCon may only get one spot, possibly 2. Poor scheduling with multiple FBS and D-II games hurts. Losing OOC FCS games hurts even worse.

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I get it that the scheduling can be tough when teams back out. Still, you gotta win your games. No blaming the other guy when your destiny is completely in your control.

Pretty simple formula though, for UTC. Win and accomplish your goals. Lose and probably stay home.

The point is...Chattanooga had a full DI schedule and by not having that game, it leaves them with less outs and less chances to make a mistake. It was not said as an excuse, but just stating a fact. Just like The Citadel would have a better chance of getting in at 7-4 because they played Davidson instead of Mars Hill.

I stated quite clearly that Chattanooga has to win or go home on Saturday, but surely you can understand that on selection day, at 7-4, the chances of getting in with an Austin Peay win (small chance) are better than a Mars Hill win (no chance).

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2015, 01:10 PM
This is not AP's fault.

When the #3 team in the nation falls to a team with no conference wins, there is consequences.

Win and you make the playoffs.... lose you stay at home - but you won't be alone.

Still waiting for Western to ring that bell some day.

Smitty
November 9th, 2015, 01:19 PM

We did 5 times this year!

Mocs123
November 9th, 2015, 01:40 PM
If we don't make the playoffs we have no one to blame but ourselves. We have had our chances.

It helps to schedule for success though. WCU fell victim to that this year as otherwise they might have been on the bubble, now they will sit at home.

I am pulling for UTC to win this week but hope El Cid gets an at large and will be pulling for you to make some noise in the playoffs.

IMO the SoCon needs us both to get in the playoffs and win at least a couple of games each if we want the SoCon to get back to the days of getting 3 teams in.

I do prefer an all D1 schedule (I would prefer an all FCS schedule if we could afford it) but we are playing Shorter next year in the first "planned" non d1 game since the Huesman opener. I am not sure the story as to why we couldn't fill that with an FCS team. (shorter did beat an OVC team (SEMO) this year) I hope that doesn't bite us in the butt next year.

Smitty
November 9th, 2015, 01:56 PM
It helps to schedule for success though. WCU fell victim to that this year as otherwise they might have been on the bubble, now they will sit at home.

Of course you mean if we get upset at Texas A&M, we stay home.

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2015, 02:19 PM
2) Chattanooga - How do you have a "trap Game" loss to a team that came very close to beating you last year?

I don't know what a "trap game loss" is, but I've been reading on here for 2 years that the team that wins the game is always the better team.
So, based on having that axiom beat into my BearBrain by so many of you fine folks, I can only conclude that Chattanooga had just a plain old-fashioned, vanilla, regular-style, normal, garden-variety LOSS to a better team.

Am I missing something?

Mocs123
November 9th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Of course you mean if we get upset at Texas A&M, we stay home.

True. I will be pulling for you.

The Cats
November 9th, 2015, 02:56 PM

You should have made the trip to Cullowhee for a game this season, and you've have heard it.

Seems you're obsessed with that victory bell!!!!!! So now you life is complete....

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/a5698e27801ff8bbdaae8fc6ce1daf9e98ad3e32/c=96-0-1904-1356&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/Asheville/2014/10/31/B9314936669Z.1_20141031191001_000+GJ190AEJG.1-0.jpg

Mocs123
November 9th, 2015, 03:08 PM
I don't know what a "trap game loss" is, but I've been reading on here for 2 years that the team that wins the game is always the better team.

So, based on having that axiom beat into my BearBrain by so many of you fine folks, I can only conclude that Chattanooga had just a plain old-fashioned, vanilla, regular-style, normal, garden-variety LOSS to a better team.

Am I missing something?

You can't look at it like that of you get into a weird circular reference such as

Mercer beat UTC so they are the better team but Western beat Mercer so they are the better team, but wait, UTC beat Western so UTC is the better team. Wait.....how do I rank those team again???????

Upsets happen all the time. Occasionally the upset team is over rated (Such as our 2009 win over #9 Wofford) where the better team won, but most of the time the team that won is still the better team.

BearDownMU
November 9th, 2015, 03:52 PM
My mama told me that no matter what, the team that wins was the better team THAT DAY. :)

CID1990
November 9th, 2015, 04:04 PM
My mama told me that no matter what, the team that wins was the better team THAT DAY. :)

well hell

just give us the autobid whether we win or lose next week then

BearDownMU
November 9th, 2015, 04:21 PM
well hell

just give us the autobid whether we win or lose next week then

Depends on whether or not you win and are the better team that day.

CID1990
November 9th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Depends on whether or not you win and are the better team that day.

no no no

We're talking about the overall!

If UTC wins, that means they were only better than us that day.

Which means The Citadel > Mercer > UTC = autobid

I just figured Id make my absurd contribution

ElCid
November 9th, 2015, 05:12 PM
The Citadel at Chatty - It's do or die time for the Mocs' National Championship goal. UTC has the talent for a comfortable win, but the lowcountry pups have more heart and squeak out a 28-27 win.

Yeah I saw what you did there. Harkening back to a dark chapter in UTC's recent history. That would be good enough.

The Cats
November 9th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Since you're talking about the overall.....

Which means Western Carolina > Mercer > UTC = autobid

I just figured I'd make my absurd contribution too....

ElCid
November 9th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Since you're talking about the overall.....

Which means Western Carolina > Mercer > UTC = autobid

I just figured I'd make my absurd contribution too....

No, then it would be.......

The Citadel > Western Carolina > Mercer > UTC = autobid

AND

The Citadel > Mercer > UTC = autobid

AND

The Citadel > UTC = autobid.....at least come Saturday.....I hope.

Either way we would get it.xlolx

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2015, 06:39 PM
You can't look at it like that of you get into a weird circular reference such as

Mercer beat UTC so they are the better team but Western beat Mercer so they are the better team, but wait, UTC beat Western so UTC is the better team. Wait.....how do I rank those team again???????

Upsets happen all the time. Occasionally the upset team is over rated (Such as our 2009 win over #9 Wofford) where the better team won, but most of the time the team that won is still the better team.

I see. I get it now...

So, you're saying all of those posters here who told me that I was a complete moron/moonshine drinker for maintaining in my Power Rankings that Mercer was a better Team than Team X, Y, and/or Z, despite the scoreboard reflecting otherwise on a particular day in the past, were incorrect and I was actually right in my assertions.

Or, you are saying that it's EITHER the result on the scoreboard OR some type of freakish anomaly; whichever reflects better on the team that you support? I don't think you could possibly mean that...

OR...just maybe you are saying that someone should use all of their knowledge of the game of football, consider the talent levels of the various teams, consider the ability of that talent to execute as proscribed in their teams' systems, consider the capabilities of the coaching staff to lead the team and make critical game-day decisions, factor in the trajectories of the various teams, and then come up with a CURRENT power ranking based on your assessment and weighting of all of those factors. If so, I can certainly support this methodology. I think it is far superior to picking and choosing which game scores I want to include and which ones I want to exclude to determine a HISTORICAL power ranking....

With that in mind and now that you all have helped me understand how to complete this exercise, here are my CURRENT SoCon Power Rankings...for your scoffing pleasure...

1. Mercer
2T. Chattanooga
2T. The Citadel
4. Western Carolina
5. Wofford
6. Furman
7. Samford
8. VMI
9. ETSU

The Cats
November 9th, 2015, 07:03 PM
I see. I get it now...

So, you're saying all of those posters here who told me that I was a complete moron/moonshine drinker for maintaining in my Power Rankings that Mercer was a better Team than Team X, Y, and/or Z, despite the scoreboard reflecting otherwise on a particular day in the past, were incorrect and I was actually right in my assertions.

Or, you are saying that it's EITHER the result on the scoreboard OR some type of freakish anomaly; whichever reflects better on the team that you support? I don't think you could possibly mean that...

OR...just maybe you are saying that someone should use all of their knowledge of the game of football, consider the talent levels of the various teams, consider the ability of that talent to execute as proscribed in their teams' systems, consider the capabilities of the coaching staff to lead the team and make critical game-day decisions, factor in the trajectories of the various teams, and then come up with a CURRENT power ranking based on your assessment and weighting of all of those factors. If so, I can certainly support this methodology. I think it is far superior to picking and choosing which game scores I want to include and which ones I want to exclude to determine a HISTORICAL power ranking....

With that in mind and now that you all have helped me understand how to complete this exercise, here are my CURRENT SoCon Power Rankings...for your scoffing pleasure...

1. Mercer
2T. Chattanooga
2T. The Citadel
4. Western Carolina
5. Wofford
6. Furman
7. Samford
8. VMI
9. ETSU

I think this thread did it. FUBeAR finally went over the deep end. He's been teetering now for weeks.......

catamount man
November 9th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Made my 1st trip to the Whee in 2015 this past week after recovering all Fall from a ruptured appendix and subsequent recovery and man what a game to witness. The entire KK section of the west side was rocking from kickoff to the final gun. Most complete game I've ever seen the cats play. The future is bright. My SoCon power rankings:

1) The Citadel
2) UTC
3) WCU
4) Wofford
5) Furman
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Samford

11/14 predictions
Chattanooga over El Cid...barely
Mercer over Furman
Wofford rolls Samford
WCU upsets Texas A&M...hey, we're due to beat an SEC team SOME DAY
VMI off, getting ready for WCU

GO CATS!

Mocs123
November 9th, 2015, 08:14 PM
What was the story with Cobb? Was he out because of injury?

He is a heck of a QB and I hate to see him out.

BullDog85
November 9th, 2015, 08:18 PM
What was the story with Cobb? Was he out because of injury?

He is a heck of a QB and I hate to see him out.Concussion I heard.

BullDog85
November 9th, 2015, 08:42 PM
ElCid - I looked you for a while then the heat and the beers kicked in and Arsi started giving out those Halloween leftover costumes...and some idiot called for a muster like in the bad old days...you know "hurry up and wait." Have to catch you at a playoff game if the boys play their cards right.

CID1990
November 9th, 2015, 09:15 PM
I see. I get it now...

1. Mercer
2T. Chattanooga
2T. The Citadel
4. Western Carolina
5. Wofford
6. Furman
7. Samford
8. VMI
9. ETSU

well then

see you in the playoffs

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2015, 10:19 PM
well then

see you in the playoffs

Oh...so you're saying Power Rankings are supposed to be a ranking of % chances of making the playoffs. I'll never get this right. xbangx

In that case...

1) Chattanooga 100%
2) The Citadel 49%
3) WCU 5%
4-9) All others 0%

Does that work better for you? xsmiley_wix

Mocs123
November 10th, 2015, 09:44 AM
If we lose on Saturday I say our chances go to about 5% and WCU's go to near 0.

Irinically if we had played a Pioneer League team like Davidson our chances would be higher than playing D2 Mars Hill. I wonder who would win that head to head.

If we don't get in, we had our chances. You win, you go to the playoffs, you don't, you watch from the couch.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2015, 10:38 AM
If we lose on Saturday I say our chances go to about 5% and WCU's go to near 0.

Irinically if we had played a Pioneer League team like Davidson our chances would be higher than playing D2 Mars Hill. I wonder who would win that head to head.

If we don't get in, we had our chances. You win, you go to the playoffs, you don't, you watch from the couch.

I completely agree there is a disconnect there. If we are going to have some sort of D1 win quota, then they need to carve out an exception for non-scholarship teams.

Mars Hill would run Davidson out of the stadium, but the Citadel gets a win over an "FCS team" while UTC got a win over a D2.

kdinva
November 10th, 2015, 11:09 AM
.....Mars Hill would run Davidson out of the stadium....

so would Mt. Union, UW-W, and most any top 30 D3 team.....

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 10th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Made my 1st trip to the Whee in 2015 this past week after recovering all Fall from a ruptured appendix and subsequent recovery and man what a game to witness. The entire KK section of the west side was rocking from kickoff to the final gun. Most complete game I've ever seen the cats play. The future is bright. My SoCon power rankings:

1) The Citadel
2) UTC
3) WCU
4) Wofford
5) Furman
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Samford

11/14 predictions
Chattanooga over El Cid...barely
Mercer over Furman
Wofford rolls Samford
WCU upsets Texas A&M...hey, we're due to beat an SEC team SOME DAY
VMI off, getting ready for WCU

GO CATS!

If you guys knock off A&M, you will have scored the second biggest scalp for the SoCon in recent memory (and we all know who #1 is).

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2015, 01:15 PM
so would Mt. Union, UW-W, and most any top 30 D3 team.....

I think Imarino sort of spoke to this at the media day this year. SoCon teams cannot necessarily help it if a team backs out of a contract. They can help not scheduling several such games in a single season.

CID1990
November 10th, 2015, 01:40 PM
1. The Citadel
2. Chatty
3. WCU

break

Woffy
Furple
Mercer
Sammy
VMI

break

ETSU

UTC 35
The Citadel 17

everybody else - half will win, half will lose

Toby
November 10th, 2015, 02:35 PM
1. The Citadel
2. Chatty
3. WCU

break

Woffy
Furple
Mercer
Sammy
VMI

break

ETSU

UTC 35
The Citadel 17

everybody else - half will win, half will lose

Except that there is only one team in 4-8 that has beaten a team in 1 - 3.

longtimemocfan
November 10th, 2015, 05:30 PM
This is not AP's fault.

Tend to agree with you. We've played to the level of our competition all year. Losing this week with Florida State looming that would be 3 straight losses , no way we get in.

CID1990
November 10th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Except that there is only one team in 4-8 that has beaten a team in 1 - 3.

And lost all of their other games, including to VMI

That's why I have them where I have them

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2015, 09:43 PM

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain the nuances of relative capability vs. historical results to a man who rises and sleeps under the banner of the very SoCon Co-Championship that the Mercer Bears provided for his team by vanquishing the undefeated defending SoCon Champions and then questions the capability of the Team which provided it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way.

CID1990
November 10th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain the nuances of relative capability vs. historical results to a man who rises and sleeps under the banner of the very SoCon Co-Championship that the Mercer Bears provided for his team by vanquishing the undefeated defending SoCon Champions and then questions the capability of the Team which provided it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way.

Wow arent we a pompous a$$

The Citadel is 6-0 in the conference. The only thing that has changed is if we lose to UTC we are co-champs, which is meaningless beside a playoff bid, which Mercer has nothing to do with

I posted a power ranking that puts a one-win Mercer team above more than one SoCon team

get over it

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Wow arent we a pompous a$$

Yes, Colonel Nathan R. Jessup certainly was a pompous a$$. Reckon where he received his military training? He was a Marine. Isn't NAVY ROTC the most prevalent branch at The Citadel? Hmmm?

CID1990
November 11th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Yes, Colonel Nathan R. Jessup certainly was a pompous a$$. Reckon where he received his military training? He was a Marine. Isn't NAVY ROTC the most prevalent branch at The Citadel? Hmmm?

I'm aware of who you were paraphrasing

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/4d45a1f3adc406fb1abb1f1b241d3879.jpg

FUBeAR
November 11th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I'm aware of who you were paraphrasing

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/4d45a1f3adc406fb1abb1f1b241d3879.jpg

Actually, I was going for FUNNY-flavored, but I understand that you Bellhops might be a little puckered right now. The 'stage' you will be on the next 3(+?) weeks is certainly a lot bigger than that to which you are accustomed, with almost a quarter century between this SoCon Co-Championship and your next most recent one.

BY THE WAY - Considering the day, I should add a note about my most recent posts in case any AGS folks have not seen the movie, "A Few Good Men."
Colonel Nathan R. Jessup is a FICTIONAL character. He is NOT a REAL Marine. He is NOT a REAL veteran. Certainly no disrespect intended to our REAL heroes. My Dad was a REAL Marine, a REAL Pearl Harbor Survivor, and a REAL WWII Veteran. Always thankful for my father's service and for the service of ALL of our REAL veterans! Happy Veteran's Day to all and most especially to those who have served (even those who happened to have attended The Citadel)!

Toby
November 11th, 2015, 10:17 AM

I don't really care where you place Mercer. Doesn't matter. Just pointing out that no other SoCon team has beaten UTC this year or for the last 2 years. Citadel may or may not this year. We will see.

CID1990
November 11th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Actually, I was going for FUNNY-flavored, but I understand that you Bellhops might be a little puckered right now. The 'stage' you will be on the next 3(+?) weeks is certainly a lot bigger than that to which you are accustomed, with almost a quarter century between this SoCon Co-Championship and your next most recent one.

BY THE WAY - Considering the day, I should add a note about my most recent posts in case any AGS folks have not seen the movie, "A Few Good Men."
Colonel Nathan R. Jessup is a FICTIONAL character. He is NOT a REAL Marine. He is NOT a REAL veteran. Certainly no disrespect intended to our REAL heroes. My Dad was a REAL Marine, a REAL Pearl Harbor Survivor, and a REAL WWII Veteran. Always thankful for my father's service and for the service of ALL of our REAL veterans! Happy Veteran's Day to all and most especially to those who have served (even those who happened to have attended The Citadel)!

The stage to which I am accustomed is three trips to the playoffs between 1988-1992 and 6 FBS wins out of 7 played, with wins over Arkansas and USC so I'm not sure what you mean by "accustomed", Mr. Smug

BearDownMU
November 11th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Holy cow, Grumpy McGrumperson.

Somebody put on their sensitive britches this morning.

FUBeAR
November 11th, 2015, 06:06 PM
The stage to which I am accustomed is three trips to the playoffs between 1988-1992 and 6 FBS wins out of 7 played, with wins over Arkansas and USC so I'm not sure what you mean by "accustomed", Mr. Smug

http://i.imgur.com/6Rz1flH.jpg?1

citdog
November 11th, 2015, 07:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6Rz1flH.jpg?1

We don't have that many.

Toby
November 12th, 2015, 04:04 PM
FCS Massey Composite (national rank):

1. UTC (15)
2. Citadel (16)
3. WCU (26)
4. Wofford (43)
5. Furman (56)
6. Samford (58)
7. Mercer (68)
8. VMI (91)
9. ETSU (121)

I'm hoping that both UTC and Citadel get in the playoffs and maybe WCU as well although I think they need to beat Texas A&M. From this angle, it looks like the best chance to get 2 SoCon teams in is for UTC to beat Citadel. Am I wrong?

catamount man
November 12th, 2015, 05:01 PM
FCS Massey Composite (national rank):

1. UTC (15)
2. Citadel (16)
3. WCU (26)
4. Wofford (43)
5. Furman (56)
6. Samford (58)
7. Mercer (68)
8. VMI (91)
9. ETSU (121)

I'm hoping that both UTC and Citadel get in the playoffs and maybe WCU as well although I think they need to beat Texas A&M. From this angle, it looks like the best chance to get 2 SoCon teams in is for UTC to beat Citadel. Am I wrong?

No you're not. If UTC loses out, they don't make it and Citadel would be left to hold the SoCon banner. UTC wins and a loss to Florida State won't hurt them. GO CATS!

Toby
November 13th, 2015, 09:23 AM
No you're not. If UTC loses out, they don't make it and Citadel would be left to hold the SoCon banner. UTC wins and a loss to Florida State won't hurt them. GO CATS!

I believe that a UTC win gives them the automatic bid no matter what else happens. Let's assume that both UTC and Citadel get beat by FSU and SC. The question for me is whether Citadel get's in with a loss to UTC? I think yes or at least it is more likely than UTC getting in with a loss to Citadel.

walliver
November 13th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I believe that a UTC win gives them the automatic bid no matter what else happens. Let's assume that both UTC and Citadel get beat by FSU and SC. The question for me is whether Citadel get's in with a loss to UTC? I think yes or at least it is more likely than UTC getting in with a loss to Citadel.

To be honest, neither team has an impressive OOC win. But, with the MEAC champion opting out, it is likely a second SoCon team gets in.
If UTC wins, I suspect the Citadel gets in.
With a Citadel win, Chatty is on the bubble, and has to hope other bubble teams do poorly.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2015, 11:31 AM
I still think Citadel is in. The Charleston Southern loss looked bad at the time, but they are now the Big South champs.

Granted, they may be traveling to West Jerusalem in the first round of the playoffs, but I think they'll be in.

Sandlapper Spike
November 13th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I think The Citadel would have a better chance at an at-large bid than Chattanooga, but it wouldn't be a lock by any means. It would depend on how things go across the country, of course.

It might help The Citadel if Western Carolina finishes 7-4 (with a loss to A&M and a win over VMI), to make that victory over the Catamounts look better. If you're an at-large candidate and you can say you have 7 D1 wins, no bad losses, and a win over another 7-win team, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

eiu1999
November 13th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Mercer @ Furman
Samford @ Wofford
The Citadel @ Chattanooga
Western Carolina @ Texas A&M.
ETSU @ Gardner-Webb

chattanoogamocs
November 14th, 2015, 04:32 PM
East Tennessee State 3
Gardner-Webb 28

Mercer 27