PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology 4.0

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 10:36 AM
In the aftermath of upset Saturday this has been by far and away the toughest bracket to assemble....

The Citadel at CCU vs 1. JSU
UT-Martin at Chattanooga vs 8. Charleston Southern

Duquesne at JMU vs 5. William and Mary
EWU at SHSU vs 4. McNeese State

Towson at Richmond vs 3. ISUR
SUU at UNI vs 6. SDSU

Colgate at UNH vs 7. Portland State
Dayton at Fordham vs 2. NDSU

Autobid: Portland State, Charleston Southern, W&M, NDSU, Duquesne, JSU, Colgate, Dayton, The Citadel, McNeese State
At-Large: ISUR, SDSU, Richmond, JMU, Fordham, Towson, EWU, SUU, CCU, UNI, UT-Martin, SHSU, UNH, Chattanooga

Bubble: UND, NAU, Montana, Liberty, Villanova, YSU, USD, EKU, EIU, Lehigh, UCA

*Teams in bold have clinched an autobid

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Will post future brackets(Stats, Nobowls) here when they are posted..

Bison Media Bracket... (http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2015-bracketology-6-0/)

http://i2.wp.com/bisonmedia.areavoices.com/files/2015/11/2015-Bracketology-Version-6.0.png?resize=620%2C774

STATS...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTUC8WnUAAALbKW.png

Nobowls.com
(http://nobowls.com/)
http://nobowls.com/images/week10.png

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2015, 10:55 AM
In the aftermath of upset Saturday this has been by far and away the toughest bracket to assemble....

The Citadel at CCU vs 1. JSU

Duquesne at JMU vs 5. William and Mary
EWU at SHSU vs 4. McNeese State

Towson at Richmond vs 3. ISUR
SUU at UNI vs 6. SDSU

Colgate at UNH vs 7. Portland State
Dayton at Fordham vs 2. NDSU

Autobid: Portland State, Charleston Southern, W&M, NDSU, Duquesne, JSU, Colgate, Dayton, The Citadel, McNeese State
At-Large: ISUR, SDSU, Richmond, JMU, Fordham, Towson, EWU, SUU, CCU, UNI, UT-Martin, SHSU, UNH, Chattanooga

Bubble: UND, NAU, Montana, Liberty, Villanova, YSU, USD, EKU, EIU, Lehigh, UCA

*Teams in bold have clinched an autobid

SDSU has already played both these teams? In your situation I'd switch around SUU & EWU. Just IMO.

I agree very hard to understand anything in the FCS as this point.

PS. "Must spread Rep" -- I love seeing this thread each week. Thanks for the work/effort.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 10:58 AM
SDSU has already played both these teams? In your situation I'd switch around SUU & EWU. Just IMO.

I agree very hard to understand anything in the FCS as this point.

I had that until I remembered that UNI played EWU. I am guessing the committee would try to avoid that rematch first if this is how it played out. Regionalization really limits what I can do with those teams.

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I had that until I remembered that UNI played EWU. I am guessing the committee would try to avoid that rematch first if this is how it played out. Regionalization really limits what I can do with those teams.

Thats right. I forgot about that as well.

Then I'd switch UNI/SUU game with the Dayton/Fordham game. xsmiley_wix

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2015, 11:01 AM
They've proven they are fine with rematches in the past.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2015, 11:02 AM
I'm interested to see how JMU is treated if they win out. Their offense is still really good with Schur at QB. The NCAA would love to have a game or two in Harrisonburg. At 9-2 with a FBS win they'll be an interesting case....

RabidRabbit
November 8th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I'll note that this puts all 4 MVFC teams up the same path. Also, this assumes that Portland St wins out over both SUU and EWU. Given PSU's losses to No Co, and NoDak, this is a leap of faith. May want to go with BSC front runner SUU as the BSC seed. They have PSU and UNA left.

Lots of changes from last week with all the losses. Be very interesting in what additional changes occur during the last two weeks.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 11:09 AM
The Big Sky was really the hardest thing to figure out for me. Seems like anyone can beat anyone in that conference and then you have some teams with non-DIs and it just adds another layer that needs to be sorted out. The non-DI is why I have NAU on the bubble, they need to win out and I think SUU beats them at home.

I am guessing PSU wins out, they get SUU at home which was rather large in my mind. Then they get EWU who is really a mess, fortunately EWU gets to play Montana who is also a mess to give them seven DI wins.

paward
November 8th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Committee will not put two teams from same conference in first round.

RabidRabbit
November 8th, 2015, 11:20 AM

If haven't played regular season, yes, yes they will. Last year, for example, SHSU to SELA. Hadn't played in regular season.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 11:22 AM

They have and they will. But now that I look at over a bit more I think it could be avoided in this instance. I guess I could flip around Fordham and Richmond.

Theee Catrabbit
November 8th, 2015, 11:43 AM

I'm pretty sure they will unless they have played this season. I.e. NDSU v ISU R is a legitimate first round matchup(yes I know neither will be in the first round, this is an example, because I give very little ****s about other conference). They avoid first round rematches. I.e. UNI v EWU would not happen. They have no problem with 2nd round rematches. I.e. SDSU driving up to Fargo every year for a second round game. My thought point to UNI being a second round rematch with SDSU. Still two games left in the season including a USD team that actually believes in itself now. Just win baby!

RootinFerDukes
November 8th, 2015, 11:52 AM
With two bad losses, what is your justification for giving ndsu the 2 seed? I get that many teams just lost so "we have to move them", but ndsu doesn't have much of a claim as a top 2 seed with losses to two bubble teams in Montana and South Dakota.

ISUMatt
November 8th, 2015, 11:58 AM
ISUr is still a seed with losses only to undefeated Iowa and @ Top 10 SDSU

ISUMatt

bisoninloveland
November 8th, 2015, 11:59 AM
NDSU will be a 3 seed if they win the last 2 just a hunch! Trying to seed the top 8 yikes! I think I will wait until next week!

kdinva
November 8th, 2015, 12:00 PM
If Chuck South finishes 9-2 (they should beat Liberty at home), does the selection committee "punish" them and not place them in the top 8 ONLY due to their facility?

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 12:02 PM
With two bad losses, what is your justification for giving ndsu the 2 seed? I get that many teams just lost so "we have to move them", but ndsu doesn't have much of a claim as a top 2 seed with losses to two bubble teams in Montana and South Dakota.

McNeese has basically played a nine game schedule and only one game against a playoff team. ISUR and NDSU is really something I went back and forth on.

I was high on Richmond and then well they lost to UNH, late losses hurt. W&M is close but they beat JMU without Lee and of course there is Delaware which is a horrible loss.

kalm
November 8th, 2015, 12:22 PM
1. JSU
2. McNeese - committee loves undefeated seasons
3. NDSU - Interchangeable with SDSU
4. SDSU - ahead of ISUr because of h2h, and better wins against Kansas and SUU. Could be the 3
5. ISUr
6. Richmond or W&M - SOS's aren't great but improve with the final game. Resume also improves with final win
7. Chatty - No great wins but good showing against JSU. Could get bumped by a 9-2 Big Sky
8. CSU - solid wins against The Citadel and CCU. No FCS losses.

* SUU, PSU, and EWU all lose at least one more.

taper
November 8th, 2015, 12:24 PM

Montana opening week was not a bad loss in any way. They looked like a championship quality team back then. Injuries and other suspensions have really depleted their roster since, along with some bad coaching. South Dakota was a bad loss, but it's looking not as bad as we thought at the time. The complete domination of quality SDSU and WIU more than makes up for it. I can't think of very many teams that would beat NDSU if they both play at the top of their game. We've been inconsistent so a 5th title is by no means a given but a top 2 ranking right now is deserved.

JMUNJ08
November 8th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Montana opening week was not a bad loss in any way. They looked like a championship quality team back then. Injuries and other suspensions have really depleted their roster since, along with some bad coaching. South Dakota was a bad loss, but it's looking not as bad as we thought at the time. The complete domination of quality SDSU and WIU more than makes up for it. I can't think of very many teams that would beat NDSU if they both play at the top of their game. We've been inconsistent so a 5th title is by no means a given but a top 2 ranking right now is deserved.

If JSU & McNeese win out, they will be the top 2 seeds easy now. The committee will not give a 2 FCS loss team a seed regardless if 2 others are undefeated outside of FBS from the OVC/ Southland (even if MVFC is light years ahead)

JSUSoutherner
November 8th, 2015, 12:32 PM

The EIU-UTM game should decide this spot this weekend. EIU stuffed our offense for almost three quarters. If they could throw they would be a great team. UTM has a great offense but I think they have Paul Blart leading their D-Line. Should be an interesting game. Unless EKU can win out I don't see them in contention after that loss to UTM.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 12:53 PM
If JSU & McNeese win out, they will be the top 2 seeds easy now. The committee will not give a 2 FCS loss team a seed regardless if 2 others are undefeated outside of FBS from the OVC/ Southland (even if MVFC is light years ahead)

JSU of course, not sure about McNeese their schedule is a bit unconventional and that could bite them. They are a very interesting case for the committee, I'm very much 50/50 on them being a 2 seed. Their schedule isn't even in the same stratosphere of an MVFC team.

JSUSoutherner
November 8th, 2015, 12:58 PM
JSU of course, not sure about McNeese their schedule is a bit unconventional and that could bite them. They are a very interesting case for the committee, I'm very much 50/50 on them being a 2 seed. Their schedule isn't even the same stratosphere of an MVFC team.
You can make a strong case to have McNeese at #2. They've taken care of business just like JSU has within their conference and won comfortably over everyone (save for Abilene, but who doesn't have a narrow win or loss?). I can't decide between them and NDSU as of now. But McNeese does have a strong case for #2.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 01:29 PM
You can make a strong case to have McNeese at #2. They've taken care of business just like JSU has within their conference and won comfortably over everyone (save for Abilene, but who doesn't have a narrow win or loss?). I can't decide between them and NDSU as of now. But McNeese does have a strong case for #2.

I wouldn't compare them to JSU. I think the OVC is better then the SLC this year and JSU also played and beat Chatty in non-conference. Plus there is also the Auburn game.

You know who McNeese played in non-confernece? Mississippi College, the LSU game is obviously not their fault but if you schedule a non-DI I don't feel much remorse about what happened in regards to LSU. They've more or less had a nine game schedule, meanwhile you have MVFC teams running through an 11 game meatgrinder. In the FBS world if there was a 2 loss Bama vs an undefeated Houston...who is getting the benefit of doubt? Bama all day...I wish the FCS playoff committee operated like that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2015, 01:31 PM

I'm with you on this. With no real clear cut #2 conference I think McNeese will be looked upon very favorably if they beat Lamar. That's not a slam dunk but they do have an extra week to prepare...

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Bison Media Bracketology.... (http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2015-bracketology-6-0/)

http://i2.wp.com/bisonmedia.areavoices.com/files/2015/11/2015-Bracketology-Version-6.0.png?resize=620%2C774

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Wow, I'd love to see that match-up for the PL. Just swap out Colgate for Lehigh and it looks even better. If nothing else, that would give the PL a great chance to win a couple of playoff games. While SDSU would likely beat Fordham by 2+ TD's, the Bronx boys visiting Brookings would be about as culturally different as it gets.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Stats.com FCS Bracket....

RootinFerDukes
November 8th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Mcneese, Illinois state and possibly sd state have an argument for a 2 seed before ndsu.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Mcneese, Illinois state and possibly sd state have an argument for a 2 seed before ndsu.

What did NDSU do to SDSU in Brookings...I think SDSU is third among the valley teams in seeding.

To be honest I wouldn't seed McNeese over any of them but that isn't my call. Their SOS is a complete joke, they would be a mid-level MVFC team.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2015, 01:57 PM

What did NDSU do to SDSU in Brookings...I think SDSU is third among the valley teams in seeding.

To be honest I wouldn't seed McNeese over any of them but that isn't my call. Their SOS is a complete joke, they would be a mid-level MVFC team.
Precisely, SDSU is pretty much victims of their own success. The higher they get the better NDSU's 28-7 shellacking of them at home looks and it's tough to look at the two teams with the same record who have a slough of common opponents without taking a convincing head-to-head victory into account.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 8th, 2015, 01:59 PM

NDSU destroyed SDSU in Brookings, how would they be seeded above NDSU?

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 02:00 PM
NDSU destroyed SDSU in Brookings, how would they be seeded above NDSU?

Only the teams NDSU loses to matter I guess. Their wins just get glossed over. I guess that is why he also think McNeese should be seeded above NDSU, playing a decent schedule and beating good teams isn't important.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 8th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Only the teams NDSU loses to matter I guess. Their wins just get glossed over. I guess that is why he also think McNeese should be seeded above NDSU, playing a decent schedule and beating good teams isn't important.

The FBS isn't going to put an undefeated Houston above an 1 loss Alabama. So why should McNeese get top two seed? I think SOS should mean something.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 8th, 2015, 02:11 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Sagarin ratings have NDSU #1, SDSU #2, JSU #3, ISUr #4, UNI #5.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2015, 02:13 PM
The FBS isn't going to put an undefeated Houston above an 1 loss Alabama. So why should McNeese get top two seed? I think SOS should mean something.

FCS conferences are looked upon much differently than they are in FBS. That's why the MEAC was able to get two teams in despite not winning a playoff game for over a decade.

Like I said earlier, outside of the MVFC the conference's all seem rather muddled.

Nodak78
November 8th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Stats.com FCS Bracket....

EWU, Montana, SUU and Portland all making the playoffs is possible but high unlikely. Because of the remaining schedule EWU would need to lose to Montana and beat PSU. Montana has to beat both EWU and MSU. PSU would need to lose to SUU and Beat EWU. SUU would need to beat PSU and either win or lose to NAU.
UND would have a good chance to replace one of those teams. UND plays No Co and poly. provide UND wins both they would mostly likely get in.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 8th, 2015, 02:17 PM
EWU, Montana, SUU and Portland all making the playoffs is possible but high unlikely. Because of the remaining schedule EWU would need to lose to Montana and beat PSU. Montana has to beat both EWU and MSU. PSU would need to lose to SUU and Beat EWU. SUU would need to beat PSU and either win or lose to NAU.
UND would have a good chance to replace one of those teams. UND plays No Co and poly. provide UND wins both they would mostly likely get in.

Seems like STATS really likes the Big Fluffy.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't compare them to JSU. I think the OVC is better then the SLC this year and JSU also played and beat Chatty in non-conference. Plus there is also the Auburn game.

You know who McNeese played in non-confernece? Mississippi College, the LSU game is obviously not their fault but if you schedule a non-DI I don't feel much remorse about what happened in regards to LSU. They've more or less had a nine game schedule, meanwhile you have MVFC teams running through an 11 game meatgrinder. In the FBS world if there was a 2 loss Bama vs an undefeated Houston...who is getting the benefit of doubt? Bama all day...I wish the FCS playoff committee operated like that.

If 'Bama dropped games to not one, but TWO teams with 5-4 records, including losses to powerhouses like Gardner-Webb and Monmouth, while Houston was undefeated, Houston gets the nod.

I get that having Mississippi College on the schedule isn't great, but we're not talking about seeding the 2011,2012, 2013 or 2014 seasons. We're talking about seeding 2015 and the fact of the matter is, NDSU has two bad losses...

You'd get a pass on one bad loss. But, c'mon, two?

Take the Bison colored glasses off ;)

kalm
November 8th, 2015, 02:21 PM

SDSU still has better wins against KU, SUU, and ISU. One loss is forgive able, especially earlier in the season.

Also, the STATS bracket is flawed. Richmond and W&M play each other and either one of them at 8-3 won't be seeded.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 02:22 PM
If 'Bama dropped games to not one, but TWO teams with 5-4 records, including losses to powerhouses like Gardner-Webb and Monmouth, while Houston was undefeated, Houston gets the nod.

I get that having Mississippi College on the schedule isn't great, but we're not talking about seeding the 2011,2012, 2013 or 2014 seasons. We're talking about seeding 2015 and the fact of the matter is, NDSU has two bad losses...

#4 SOS vs #83. I rest my case...NDSU doesn't even have an FBS to puff it up.

There is a reason why Houston is barely in the FBS polls...

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 8th, 2015, 02:28 PM

Check this out....
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Sagarin ratings have NDSU #1, SDSU #2, JSU #3, ISUr #4, UNI #5.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2015, 02:28 PM
You lost to teams that lost to Gardner-Webb and something called Monmouth and you think you've got a strength of schedule argument?

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 02:29 PM
You lost to teams that lost to Gardner-Webb and something called Monmouth and you think you've got a strength of schedule argument?

Odd that Montana and USD have somehow lost to teams that they have never played.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2015, 02:30 PM
I didn't realize that Monmouth and Gardner Webb were such powerhouses....that losses to teams who lost to them won't affect your strength of schedule ;)

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Odd that Montana and USD have somehow lost to teams that they have never played.

My bad. Montana lost to Liberty, who lost to Gardner-Webb and something called Monmouth...

Clearly, Montana and Liberty have bodaciously tough schedules because you see that reflected in NDSU's strength of schedule ranking ;)

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I'm not under any illusion that NDSU won't get a higher seed than McNeese. I fully expect that to happen...

NDSU's earned that over the previous four years. This year, not so much ;)

The committee will seed the post season the same subjective way they usually do....It is what it is! ;)

kalm
November 8th, 2015, 02:43 PM
My bad. Montana lost to Liberty, who lost to Gardner-Webb and something called Monmouth...

Clearly, Montana and Liberty have bodaciously tough schedules because you see that reflected in NDSU's strength of schedule ranking ;)

so the transitive property twice removed? Jeesh

- - - Updated - - -

so the transitive property twice removed? Jeesh

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 02:45 PM
I'm not under any illusion that NDSU won't get a higher seed than McNeese. I fully expect that to happen...

The committee will seed the post season the same subjective way they usually do....It is what it is! ;)

If NDSU can go 9-2 and win the MVFC autobid I would say they earned it. Still have to play YSU on the road, who if they were on McNeese schedule would be your toughest opponent.

McNeese75
November 8th, 2015, 02:49 PM
If NDSU can go 9-2 and win the MVFC autobid I would say they earned it. Still have to play YSU on the road, who if they were on McNeese schedule would be your toughest opponent.

Your OPINION is noted. Seems everyone has one of those and buffalo fans seem to think theirs are better than everyone else xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2015, 02:50 PM

I still maintain that losing at Montana in week 0 was not a bad loss (USD I'll grant you're right). That Montana team was a team on mission that day and they poured themselves out for that game, perhaps to the detriment of the rest of their season. All you need to do is see them lose at home to a Weber St team that NDSU rolled the game after they lost to Montana. I can't really explain how but we haven't seen the same Montana team since that week 0 game against NDSU.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2015, 02:54 PM

YSU is better than SHSU??

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 02:56 PM
YSU is better than SHSU??

Probably a TD or so favorite. Somebody can check Sagarin.

Mayville Bison
November 8th, 2015, 02:57 PM

Pretty sure Montana was ranked in the top 5 at one point this season so how can they be considered a bad loss??? Yes, the wheels came off after injuries but they were viewed as a title contender.

Looking at it now, 2 last second losses to teams currently on the bubble with two weeks left aren't bad losses.

So which way are you looking at it? Now or at the time of the game? Either way you don't have two bad losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2015, 03:00 PM
So what you're saying is that NDSU has trouble finishing games?

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 8th, 2015, 03:02 PM
So what you're saying is that NDSU has trouble finishing games?

Watch yesterdays game.

smallcollegefbfan
November 8th, 2015, 03:06 PM
This is not my ranking as much as it is what I think the committee would do with seeding. I think McNeese is about 5-6 with 2-3 MVFC teams ahead of them but I think an undefeated conference champ from an original auto-bid league but I think they get top 3.

McNeese would lose to the next 3 teams on my seeding list IMO.

AUTOMATIC BIDS
BIG SKY- SOUTHERN UTAH
BIG SOUTH- CSU
CAA- W&M
MVFC- NDSU
NEC- DUQUESNE
OVC- JSU
PATRIOT- COLGATE
PIONEER- DAYTON
SOCON- CHATTANOOGA
SLC- MCNEESE ST

AT-LARGE
South Dakota State, Illinois State, Richmond, James Madison, UNI, Portland State, The Citadel, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington, Coastal Carolina, Sam Houston State, Central Arkansas, UT Martin, Fordham

TOP 8 SEEDS
1. Jacksonville State
2. McNeese State
3. North Dakota State
4. South Dakota State
5. William & Mary
6. Illinois State
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga

LAST 2 IN
UT Martin
Fordham

FIRST 2 OUT
Youngstown State
Montana

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Probably a TD or so favorite. Somebody can check Sagarin.

Sagarin has Harvard ahead of YSU...with Harvard having impressive wins over 1-8 Brown, 4-4 Rhode Island and a 4-5 Georgetown of the Patriot League.

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Your OPINION is noted. Seems everyone has one of those and buffalo fans seem to think theirs are better than everyone else xlolx

I love McNeese, but the SLC is weak this year. I've watched the Cowboys a few times this year and have them in the Top 5 by default. Even if seeded, I have a hard time seeing McNeese winning more than one game in the playoffs.

centennial
November 8th, 2015, 03:27 PM
I've watched a couple of McNesse state games, most MVFC games. McNesse would get beat by top 4 MVFC. If we are 3 and McNesse is 2, they will get knocked out at home.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2015, 03:36 PM
That's dispositive....

kalm
November 8th, 2015, 03:46 PM
This is not my ranking as much as it is what I think the committee would do with seeding. I think McNeese is about 5-6 with 2-3 MVFC teams ahead of them but I think an undefeated conference champ from an original auto-bid league but I think they get top 3.

McNeese would lose to the next 3 teams on my seeding list IMO.

AUTOMATIC BIDS
BIG SKY- SOUTHERN UTAH
BIG SOUTH- CSU
CAA- W&M
MVFC- NDSU
NEC- DUQUESNE
OVC- JSU
PATRIOT- COLGATE
PIONEER- DAYTON
SOCON- CHATTANOOGA
SLC- MCNEESE ST

AT-LARGE
South Dakota State, Illinois State, Richmond, James Madison, UNI, Portland State, The Citadel, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington, Coastal Carolina, Sam Houston State, Central Arkansas, UT Martin, Fordham

TOP 8 SEEDS
1. Jacksonville State
2. McNeese State
3. North Dakota State
4. South Dakota State
5. William & Mary
6. Illinois State
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga

LAST 2 IN
UT Martin
Fordham

FIRST 2 OUT
Youngstown State
Montana

Just like with Stats bracket, you see an 8-3 W&M or Richmond getting a seed?

smilo
November 8th, 2015, 03:49 PM
So, Chatty's either out or seeded depending on next week's game? Wow, I love the FCS! Seasons turn in an instant. Hopefully Nova's can too :)

Go Cit!

Theee Catrabbit
November 8th, 2015, 03:59 PM

I'm not sure why SDSU would be third in Seeding.....beating ISU R near the end of the season counts a little more than a hiccup against the Bison and a tough 10-7 loss against UNI. A loss to Montana and a loss to USD are bad losses. If State goes down to USD and loses, that is a BAD LOSS! Currently we are also giving every team a chance to win, or at least a head start, by wasting our first 2 series on Lujan(Sorry Zach, it's time to ride the pine).

kalm
November 8th, 2015, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure why SDSU would be third in Seeding.....beating ISU R near the end of the season counts a little more than a hiccup against the Bison and a tough 10-7 loss against UNI. A loss to Montana and a loss to USD are bad losses. If State goes down to USD and loses, that is a BAD LOSS! Currently we are also giving every team a chance to win, or at least a head start, by wasting our first 2 series on Lujan(Sorry Zach, it's time to ride the pine).

Neither USD or Momtana are bad losses.

McNeese75
November 8th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I've watched a couple of McNesse state games, most MVFC games. McNesse would get beat by top 4 MVFC. If we are 3 and McNesse is 2, they will get knocked out at home.

IF that were to happen, so be it. But tell me what position do you play so I can be sure to take note during the game???? Obviously you have some kind of direct link to the outcome of these games, or, it is an OPINION xcoffeex

rokamortis
November 8th, 2015, 04:44 PM

Same thing for UTC. UTC at best will be 8-3, not sure they get a seed either. Since El Cid and UTC play each other and then P5 games it all but guarantees that one will be 8-3 and the other 7-4 and on the bubble.

FCSwatcher
I still maintain that losing at Montana in week 0 was not a bad loss (USD I'll grant you're right). That Montana team was a team on mission that day and they poured themselves out for that game, perhaps to the detriment of the rest of their season. All you need to do is see them lose at home to a Weber St team that NDSU rolled the game after they lost to Montana. I can't really explain how but we haven't seen the same Montana team since that week 0 game against NDSU.

You whole paragraph explains why Montana is a bad loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No_Skill

I think you have something in your eye. ;)

hktribefan
November 8th, 2015, 04:52 PM

It's basically whoever wins our end of season matchup (assuming we both win next week). Whoever it is will be 9-2 and conference champion and the other will be 8-3. Both solidly in, and whoever is the 9-2 one will get the seed, while the 8-3 one plays opening weekend.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2015, 05:04 PM
You whole paragraph explains why Montana is a bad loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not really. My point is the Montana team I saw play against NDSU on 8/29 was much better than the Weber St team I saw play NDSU on 9/12. The fact that that Weber St team beat Montana in Missoula later in the was really telling in regards to far Montana had fallen since that NDSU game.

MacThor
November 8th, 2015, 05:23 PM
It's basically whoever wins our end of season matchup (assuming we both win next week). Whoever it is will be 9-2 and conference champion and the other will be 8-3. Both solidly in, and whoever is the 9-2 one will get the seed, while the 8-3 one plays opening weekend.

You are assuming UR & W&M win next week, which is hardly a given.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2015, 05:45 PM

Bison Media Bracket... (http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2015-bracketology-6-0/)

STATS...

xconfusedx The Aggies are going to Atlanta for the Celebration Bowl.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2015, 05:59 PM

Definitely behind NDSU if they both end up 9-2. Head/head win and better conference record, pretty easy.

ISU at 9-2 would be hard for SDSU to climb above them in the eyes of the committee IMO. But you never know. SDSU has a FBS win with ISU getting beat by a good Iowa team. ISU would have a better conference record but SDSU having the head/head win. Tough call.

kalm
November 8th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Same thing for UTC. UTC at best will be 8-3, not sure they get a seed either. Since El Cid and UTC play each other and then P5 games it all but guarantees that one will be 8-3 and the other 7-4 and on the bubble.

Good point.

Thumper 76
November 8th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Definitely behind NDSU if they both end up 9-2. Head/head win and better conference record, pretty easy.

ISU at 9-2 would be hard for SDSU to climb above them in the eyes of the committee IMO. But you never know. SDSU has a FBS win with ISU getting beat by a good Iowa team. ISU would have a better conference record but SDSU having the head/head win. Tough call.

I don't see why ISUR would be seeded over SDSU. They are the only of the top 3 in the MVFC without a win vs another of the top 3, and SDSU has a win of SUU and FBS Kansas. ISUR's best win would be vs UNI or YSU.

hktribefan
November 8th, 2015, 06:13 PM
You are assuming UR & W&M win next week, which is hardly a given.

Right, but these are projections. You can make the argument that anyone could lose a game and take them out. I was just showing the logic behind having either WM or Richmond seeded at present.

Twentysix
November 8th, 2015, 06:13 PM
SDSU will be seeded above ISUr if both teams win out.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2015, 06:14 PM
I don't see why ISUR would be seeded over SDSU. They are the only of the top 3 in the MVFC without a win vs another of the top 3, and SDSU has a win of SUU and FBS Kansas. ISUR's best win would be vs UNI or YSU.

Like I said, it would be a tough call for them to make. SDSU would have a good argument for a higher seed.

BEAR
November 8th, 2015, 06:27 PM
UCA will make it in.

jmrepak
November 8th, 2015, 07:00 PM
At this point I don't see Coastal unseeded unless they drop one of their next two.

Someone asked way way back in the thread if CSU would go unseeded because of their facilities. That is a possibility, but I also think they may not get a hard look for a seed because this is their first appearance EVER. No one knows what they will look like come playoff time. They are unproven in the postseason and will not get a seed because of it, IMO. I just hope the committee gives us another bite at the apple. We win that game probably 7 out of 10 times but our D sucked and the O came out flat without enough time to make up for it when they finally got going. I am giving them a lot of credit though. They've been effective all year at coming up with a game plan and executing it well. I also think they have a really good coach that may not be around there much longer if he keeps it up the rest of this year and next.

kalm
November 8th, 2015, 07:06 PM
At this point I don't see Coastal unseeded unless they drop one of their next two.

Someone asked way way back in the thread if CSU would go unseeded because of their facilities. That is a possibility, but I also think they may not get a hard look for a seed because this is their first appearance EVER. No one knows what they will look like come playoff time. They are unproven in the postseason and will not get a seed because of it, IMO. I just hope the committee gives us another bite at the apple. We win that game probably 7 out of 10 times but our D sucked and the O came out flat without enough time to make up for it when they finally got going. I am giving them a lot of credit though. They've been effective all year at coming up with a game plan and executing it well. I also think they have a really good coach that may not be around there much longer if he keeps it up the rest of this year and next.

Facilities and history should have nothing to do with seeding.

Even with CSU's impending loss, they still have a better resume than CCU. CCU's best win is against a falling WIU and both of CSU's losses are better than yours.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2015, 07:41 PM

Even with CSU's impending loss, they still have a better resume than CCU. CCU's best win is against a falling WIU and both of CSU's losses are better than yours.

But it does and will so it needs to be considered. I think history should have something to do with seeding/selection. If you're a team that returned a lot of starters from a team that was very successful the previous year than there should be some consideration for that imo. I think teams and coaches with a good track record in the playoffs should count for something. It also shouldn't be held against a team who had a great year but lacks pedigree. There's a happy medium in order to weigh both situations...

For this reason I actually like CCU come playoff time. They've tasted some of the toughest environments in the playoffs the last two years. They came into the year with super high expectations and outside of their PF/PA pretty much lived up to them.

I'm not saying it needs to factor in anything more than just an itty bitty bit...

rokamortis
November 8th, 2015, 08:07 PM

There are two ways to look at it and the committee could choose either. One is as you describe, the committee sees CSU as perfect with their FCS slate and no bad losses. Or they could see them with 8 FCS wins, a DII win, and 2 losses.

If they are consistent then they'll view them as the latter. But I think with Coastal leaving for FBS that we shouldn't expect any favors from the committee. The best news for both of us is that the SoCon is going to have an 8-3 champ and likely not seeded. Also, the CAA and Big Sky each still have plenty of beating each other up in conference to do over the next couple of weeks and may not see multiple seeds. You could see 2 Big South schools at 10-1 and 9-2 and each seeded - then AGS will implode.

CappinHard
November 8th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Neither USD or Momtana are bad losses.

USD is most certainly a bad loss.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2015, 08:09 PM

C'mon, you know the normal rules of objectivity don't apply here...

jmrepak
November 8th, 2015, 08:28 PM

Should is the operative word, but it does. Why else do you think a 2-loss, both to non-top 25 programs, NDSU will be a 2 or 3 seed without another loss. Life's not fair or perfect, but we accept it for what it is. We also use past data to look for future performance even though the two shouldn't have anything to do with one another. CCU will be seeded if we win out, and even if CSU works their way into a see they will still be behind us.

jmrepak
November 8th, 2015, 08:29 PM
You could see 2 Big South schools at 10-1 and 9-2 and each seeded - then AGS will implode.
Lol. You're right about that.

Prime Power
November 8th, 2015, 08:38 PM
IF that were to happen, so be it. But tell me what position do you play so I can be sure to take note during the game???? Obviously you have some kind of direct link to the outcome of these games, or, it is an OPINION xcoffeex

God forbid someone have an OPINION on a forum.

McNeese75
November 8th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Everyone's got one Forrest. Some just think theirs are more than that. IMHO of course

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

kalm
November 8th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Should is the operative word, but it does. Why else do you think a 2-loss, both to non-top 25 programs, NDSU will be a 2 or 3 seed without another loss. Life's not fair or perfect, but we accept it for what it is. We also use past data to look for future performance even though the two shouldn't have anything to do with one another. CCU will be seeded if we win out, and even if CSU works their way into a see they will still be behind us.

Indeed. So you admit that CCU would be seeded not based on this year's resume?

kalm
November 8th, 2015, 09:52 PM

A 5-4 Valley team on the cusp of the top 25 is a bad loss?

Ok.....

CSU18
November 8th, 2015, 09:56 PM

I'm tired of hearing about how your D sucked and your offense came out flat. That's laughable. Your offense scored on there first two possessions and then our D settled down. CSU is a better all around football team than CCU. It drives me crazy to hear how everytime CCU loses to us there's an excuse. Two years ago, it was the same excuse. 7 out of 10 times on a neutral field, CSU wins that game. There's a reason we're one of the top defenses in FCS. Ask the folks that follow The Citadel. Yeah, they made mistakes, but CSU pretty much shut down their #1 rushing attack at the time. CCU is a flash in the pan. Not sure what makes them feel as though they have some historic program. Until the last few years, you didn't do anything in the post season. There's nothing better than knowing your going to the Sunbelt as the runner up in the Big South in your final season in FCS.

CappinHard
November 8th, 2015, 10:03 PM
A 5-4 Valley team on the cusp of the top 25 is a bad loss?

Ok.....

A 5-4 Valley team that hasn't played SDSU or ISUr yet. Look at their wins...
1-8 Cal Davis
4-5 Drake
7-2 NDSU
1-8 Mo. St.
3-6 So. Ill.

One of those teams is not like the other. Add in the fact that at the time NDSU was a top 3 team, and you have yourself a bad loss. When you're at the top, the criteria for a bad loss is different than for most teams.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 8th, 2015, 10:07 PM
So what will the SDSU loss to USD be? A bad loss or a good loss?

kalm
November 8th, 2015, 10:08 PM
1-8 Cal Davis
4-5 Drake
7-2 NDSU
1-8 Mo. St.
3-6 So. Ill.

One of those teams is not like the other. Add in the fact that at the time NDSU was a top 3 team, and you have yourself a bad loss. When you're at the top, the criteria for a bad loss is different than for most teams.

No it's not.

FTR, I'd have you guys seeded above NDSU because you have both better wins and better losses.

But sorry, USD is not a bad loss at this point.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 10:09 PM
NoBowls.com (http://nobowls.com/)

RootinFerDukes
November 8th, 2015, 10:12 PM
1-8 Cal Davis
4-5 Drake
7-2 NDSU
1-8 Mo. St.
3-6 So. Ill.

Please stop with this sound reasoning. Ndsu fans say they get a 2 seed with two losses to 5-4 teams. It's basically set in stone.

RootinFerDukes
November 8th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Have they ever seeded three teams from the same conference before?

jmrepak
November 8th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Indeed. So you admit that CCU would be seeded not based on this year's resume?
No I don't. If we are seeded it's because we have 10 D1 wins. My point is that history matters.

KUlawJack
November 8th, 2015, 10:26 PM

This makes no sense. The only shot USD had to get in requires them to beat SDSU and ISUR. If that happened neither we nor ISUR would be seeded as shown. Worthless.

TheKingpin28
November 8th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Having Youngstown in and NDSU at 3 is a joke. Also, 6 MVFC teams? Come on this worse than Stats bracket. Also having a bunch of East Coast teams, Big Sky and NDSU on one side and a meat grinder on the other of MVFC and other top teams in their respective conferences? This is a pathetic attempt at putting a bracket together. Lack of regionalization. Also didn't PSU play NAU in the regular season? Oh and BTW, I'd LOVE to see UNI demolish Chattanooga.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 10:27 PM
This makes no sense. The only shot USD had to get in requires them to beat SDSU and ISUR. If that happened neither we nor ISUR would be seeded as shown. Worthless.

Forgot to add that nobowls does their bracket as if the season ended right now. I do believe they mention that on their site.

BisonTru
November 8th, 2015, 10:29 PM

Every week's bracket is based on an "If the season ended today" mindset.

The above quote is from his website, just the way he does it. But technically, yeah, it's not going to look like this because of upcoming games.

bisonguy
November 8th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Still don't see 6 MVFC teams making it, even "if the season ended today".

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Still don't see 6 MVFC teams making it, even "if the season ended today".

Yeah, YSU would be on the outside looking in.

jmrepak
November 8th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I'm tired of hearing about how your D sucked and your offense came out flat. That's laughable. Your offense scored on there first two possessions and then our D settled down. CSU is a better all around football team than CCU. It drives me crazy to hear how everytime CCU loses to us there's an excuse. Two years ago, it was the same excuse. 7 out of 10 times on a neutral field, CSU wins that game. There's a reason we're one of the top defenses in FCS. Ask the folks that follow The Citadel. Yeah, they made mistakes, but CSU pretty much shut down their #1 rushing attack at the time. CCU is a flash in the pan. Not sure what makes them feel as though they have some historic program. Until the last few years, you didn't do anything in the post season. There's nothing better than knowing your going to the Sunbelt as the runner up in the Big South in your final season in FCS.
Yep. A flash in the pan that has an all time winning record of 8-5 against CSU and wins 4 of the last 6. Be careful when you throw around that terminology. Your program has 7 winning season in 25 years and we have 11 in 13. This will be your first time ever in the playoffs and likely our 6th as long as we win one of the next two. You've still got to take care of Liberty next week for the outright crown. I believe you will, but we'll have to wait and see and we would have to take care of business after that if you lose to open the door. Of course, I want to go out on top, but we are moving on regardless.

The sad thing is you read right past the part where I said I give you guys a lot of credit. I do believe we win that game 7 of 10 times and I would take that bet again tomorrow. That doesn't mean I don't give your team respect though. The Bucs have been strong for 3 years now, and I'm honestly impressed with how far Chadwell has brought you guys without much to work with (you added turf and lights but your stadium still makes high school stadiums look good). That's why I don't think you have him much longer.

RootinFerDukes
November 8th, 2015, 10:39 PM
I think the max teams in per conference was five from the CAA a couple years back. Until six teams get in, six teams won't get in.

KUlawJack
November 8th, 2015, 10:40 PM
I think the max teams in per conference was five from the CAA a couple years back. Until six teams get in, six teams won't get in.

MVFC had five last year.

FargoBison
November 8th, 2015, 10:42 PM

For the MVFC to get six USD would have to beat SDSU and ISUR in back to back weeks. It would be a minor miracle for them to just beat one of them. So six isn't happening and it won't ever happen unless the Valley has some kind of Big Sky esque expansion.

veinup
November 8th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Until six teams get in, six teams won't get in.

profound theory xholyx

JSUBison
November 8th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Yeah, YSU would be on the outside looking in.

A familiar place.

MTfan4life
November 9th, 2015, 01:49 AM
Leave it to New Hampshire to sneak into the playoffs after getting smoked by 3-5 Stony Brook and 3-6 Delaware, as they are two relatively easy wins away from being in the 7 win club.

Catsfan90
November 9th, 2015, 01:51 AM
Leave it to New Hampshire to sneak into the playoffs after getting smoked by 3-5 Stony Brook and 3-6 Delaware, as they are two relatively easy wins away from being in the 7 win club.

I think it will depend on what Richmond does. If they for some reason lay eggs for the rest of the season than the Richmond win wont look so great.

ming01
November 9th, 2015, 01:52 AM
I think committee would likely seed McNeese at 2. A lot of intriguing scenarios, as some possible seeds have Fbs games coming up.

MTfan4life
November 9th, 2015, 02:17 AM
I think it will depend on what Richmond does. If they for some reason lay eggs for the rest of the season than the Richmond win wont look so great.

Yes, but with all the teams beating each other up, I think it's going to be like 2010 where basically everyone who wins 7 D1 games will get into the playoffs. Also, being New Hampshire helps.

Skyhawk71
November 9th, 2015, 06:53 AM
UCA will make it in.

If we win out, I'm hoping for a Thanksgiving Weekend in Conway- That is what I would like to see, since the last three have been such good games, no reason it wouldn't be a good one in the playoffs- I will bring the leftover turkey.... good luck the rest of the way

Mattymc727
November 9th, 2015, 07:20 AM

Maybe the program just knows how to win with their backs against the wall...

UNH72Plus
November 9th, 2015, 09:03 AM
South Dakota has to beat both South Dakota State and Illinois State to have 7 FCS wins, and Youngstown has to beat NDSU and Indiana State. Don't think either is likely to happen.

BEAR
November 9th, 2015, 09:04 AM
If we win out, I'm hoping for a Thanksgiving Weekend in Conway- That is what I would like to see, since the last three have been such good games, no reason it wouldn't be a good one in the playoffs- I will bring the leftover turkey.... good luck the rest of the way

Frick...I hope we don't have to face you! xeekx I saw how easily you guys ran it and passed it all over the Razorbacks. Over 500 yards of offense! Can't really say they were down because they just beat an 18th ranked Ole Miss. We barely got past you last year. Sometimes its all about matchups. I don't think you will have to worry about coming to Conway..we never bid enough to actually host. xlolx

wmmii
November 9th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Hopefully Richmond and W&M will take care of business this week and beat Nova and Towson.

If both Spiders and Tribe got upset this Saturday then we have a 5 way tie for first at 5-2 assuming JMU wins .....The final week Towson plays RI, JMU plays 'Nova and Tribe plays Spiders. This could lead to a 3 way tie at 6-2.

Hope Tribe knocks Towson out of this and puts us in the driver seat of a big "KAMAS" Truck (our running game) to win the auto bid....at 7-1 we get a top 5 seed IMO and at 6-2 still a top 8 seed if we are still Champs- otherwise playing at home first weekend.

dwtime
November 9th, 2015, 09:48 AM
UCA will make it in.

If UCA wins out they will make it in. If they lose to SHSU? What will be their signature wins?

UIWWildthing
November 9th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Hopefully Richmond and W&M will take care of business this week and beat Nova and Towson.

If both Spiders and Tribe got upset this Saturday then we have a 5 way tie for first at 5-2 assuming JMU wins .....The final week Towson plays RI, JMU plays 'Nova and Tribe plays Spiders. This could lead to a 3 way tie at 6-2.

Hope Tribe knocks Towson out of this and puts us in the driver seat of a big "KAMAS" Truck (our running game) to win the auto bid....at 7-1 we get a top 5 seed IMO and at 6-2 still a top 8 seed if we are still Champs- otherwise playing at home first weekend.

Of course I'm hoping for a Tiger upset this weekend. What would be the tie-breaker scenario for a 3 (or 4!) team tie at the top of the CAA that could very well happen?

BEAR
November 9th, 2015, 10:07 AM
If UCA wins out they will make it in. If they lose to SHSU? What will be their signature wins?

Well looking at the season that's a hard one to define.

First game of the year under second year coach and the defense looked confused playing a team they've never played before. Bad loss but it happened in the beginning of the year. As you can see they got their stuff together after that.

Second game was against Oklahoma State. A top 25 FBS loss BUT the defense got 12 tackles for loss and 4 sacks. Defense got it together after the first game. As with most FCS schools playing FBS powerhouses it was a close game at half and actually through the third. But a loss nonetheless.

Won a couple.

Played McNeese and stumbled on an errant snap in the fourth setting off a Cowboy landslide. Held McNeese to 160 yards of offense which tells you the McNeese defense was their offense that game. However our offense faced a TOUGH defense also. This game was 3-0 at half if I remember correctly. It was a battle of the defenses and which offense wouldn't make a mistake. We did.

Won all the games they should have won, should easily win at Nicholls and only have SHSU left in Conway.

SLC Conference standings:
McNeese 8-0
UCA 6-1
SHSU 5-2

Signature win. Not sure. I'd say you'd have to look at the whole year as the resume. Hard to say that since 6 of the 9 teams in the SLC are out of playoff contention. The only questions I'd have to ask if I were on the committee was did UCA win the ones they were supposed to win (yes) and how did they do in the losses?

But again with a likely 7-4 season coming I'd hate to be one of the voting playoff members who has to look at the top 25 and figure out who is getting in beyond spot #6 or so. xlolx

dwtime
November 9th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Well looking at the season that's a hard one to define.

First game of the year under second year coach and the defense looked confused playing a team they've never played before. Bad loss but it happened in the beginning of the year. As you can see they got their stuff together after that.

Second game was against Oklahoma State. A top 25 FBS loss BUT the defense got 12 tackles for loss and 4 sacks. Defense got it together after the first game. As with most FCS schools playing FBS powerhouses it was a close game at half and actually through the third. But a loss nonetheless.

Won a couple.

Played McNeese and stumbled on an errant snap in the fourth setting off a Cowboy landslide. Held McNeese to 160 yards of offense which tells you the McNeese defense was their offense that game. However our offense faced a TOUGH defense also. This game was 3-0 at half if I remember correctly. It was a battle of the defenses and which offense wouldn't make a mistake. We did.

Won all the games they should have won, should easily win at Nicholls and only have SHSU left in Conway.

SLC Conference standings:
McNeese 8-0
UCA 6-1
SHSU 5-2

Signature win. Not sure. I'd say you'd have to look at the whole year as the resume. Hard to say that since 6 of the 9 teams in the SLC are out of playoff contention. The only questions I'd have to ask if I were on the committee was did UCA win the ones they were supposed to win (yes) and how did they do in the losses?

But again with a likely 7-4 season coming I'd hate to be one of the voting playoff members who has to look at the top 25 and figure out who is getting in beyond spot #6 or so. xlolx

If there are a bunch of 7-4 teams it will make the playoff selection interesting!

CappinHard
November 9th, 2015, 10:42 AM
So what will the SDSU loss to USD be? A bad loss or a good loss?

I laughed when I read this, because it's not going to happen, but it would be a bad loss. We beat ISUr, have an inside track on a seed, and we go lay an egg against our little brother? Definitely a bad loss.

LeeshaJo
November 9th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I laughed when I read this, because it's not going to happen, but it would be a bad loss. We beat ISUr, have an inside track on a seed, and we go lay an egg against our little brother? Definitely a bad loss.

This game scares the SH!(*& out of me. They want to beat us every game. This one has more on the line for them. If we come out and lay an egg.... Oh, please God, don't let it happen.

eiu1999
November 9th, 2015, 11:49 AM
As long as JSU wins out, EIU and EKU are not at large teams.

4bidn1
November 9th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Is there anyway for LU to borrow an at-large spot at 7-4 with a real nice resume of beating Montana CSU CCU and an FBS win even with the (bad) losses to Monmouth and G-Webb. That would be 3 top 25 wins with possibly all 3 being against top 10 opponents.

WileECoyote06
November 9th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Is there anyway for LU to borrow an at-large spot at 7-4 with a real nice resume of beating Montana CSU CCU and an FBS win even with the (bad) losses to Monmouth and G-Webb. That would be 3 top 25 wins with possibly all 3 being against top 10 opponents.

If LU wins out and finishes 7-4; they're in. Four game winning streak to end the season, three wins over playoff level teams and an FBS win. With those two wins over CCU and CSU they'd squarely be in the top 40 as well.

Thumper 76
November 9th, 2015, 12:39 PM
This game scares the SH!(*& out of me. They want to beat us every game. This one has more on the line for them. If we come out and lay an egg.... Oh, please God, don't let it happen.

This. The only thing I'm worried about is us laying an egg. If our D comes to play like it has been, then it's over. If they don't, watch out.

thebootfitter
November 9th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Depends on your criteria. They'd have a winning conference record and have beaten two top-5 teams. Probably means that they're not a bad team, regardless of records from past years.

ysubigred
November 9th, 2015, 01:08 PM

STATS...

Nobowls.com
(http://nobowls.com/)

WOW!!!! YSU vs Dayton in a playoff game!! I'd furnish all the beer for every fan in attendance for this match up xthumbsupx

Mayville Bison
November 9th, 2015, 01:56 PM

You go into CSU this weekend and pull off a W and that final game with CCU could likely be a winner is in loser out scenario. That would put CCU as the 3rd team in the conference (losing to the top two). Liberty would be trending up at that point, so it's very likely.

However, I've read that Montana is a bad team over and over. Also, if you beat both those teams, they will likely drop in rankings as well, so according to some logic around here, they wouldn't be considered good wins.

Sarcasm aside, win your last two (huge undertaking!), and I think you'll be in.

jmrepak
November 9th, 2015, 02:19 PM
You go into CSU this weekend and pull off a W and that final game with CCU could likely be a winner is in loser out scenario. That would put CCU as the 3rd team in the conference (losing to the top two). Liberty would be trending up at that point, so it's very likely.

However, I've read that Montana is a bad team over and over. Also, if you beat both those teams, they will likely drop in rankings as well, so according to some logic around here, they wouldn't be considered good wins.

Sarcasm aside, win your last two (huge undertaking!), and I think you'll be in.
I agree with all of this except the bold. I just don't see anyway a 9-2 Coastal would still be home. We'd also still likely be a top 15 team. If this scenario happened and Liberty got in as well we would see 3 in from the Big South and everyone would be pissed, rightfully so. If Coastal wins this weekend we are all but a lock to be in the dance. If we lose this weekend and Liberty wins then I agree with your scenario all the way.

Mayville Bison
November 9th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I agree with all of this except the bold. I just don't see anyway a 9-2 Coastal would still be home. We'd also still likely be a top 15 team. If this scenario happened and Liberty got in as well we would see 3 in from the Big South and everyone would be pissed, rightfully so. If Coastal wins this weekend we are all but a lock to be in the dance. If we lose this weekend and Liberty wins then I agree with your scenario all the way.

It all depends on if the committee favors who you beat more than who you lost to. History has shown they favor the shiny records, so I would agree with you, but there's a chance that would leave CCU at home for the playoffs.

Missingnumber7
November 9th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Talk to Lehigh fans about 2012...10-1 and sitting at home.

jmrepak
November 9th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Talk to Lehigh fans about 2012...10-1 and sitting at home.
They expanded to 24 teams in 2013.

Missingnumber7
November 9th, 2015, 03:06 PM
They expanded to 24 teams in 2013.

Understand that perfectly, I'm just saying that if CCU loses to Liberty the committee is going to have to make some tough decisions. The bulk of work put forward leaves a lot more questions than answers. Just looking at 9-2 doesn't say a whole lot to the committee who is looking in depth.

BEAR
November 9th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I see Sam Houston in many of these brackets. Some may not know but Sam has to win its last two games to get to 7 wins. They should be a bubble team. UCA will reach that 7 wins this week. But the bigger question is if both end up with 7 wins, which will get in? Or will both? Or neither? Even if Sam beats UCA, they lost to Lamar. Kinda evens it out..maybe? Hey, I'm trying to get my Bears in! xlolx

deez_na
November 9th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I see Sam Houston in many of these brackets. Some may not know but Sam has to win its last two games to get to 7 wins. They should be a bubble team. UCA will reach that 7 wins this week. But the bigger question is if both end up with 7 wins, which will get in? Or will both? Or neither? Even if Sam beats UCA, they lost to Lamar. Kinda evens it out..maybe? Hey, I'm trying to get my Bears in! xlolx
Does Sam have a D2 win? They gotta quit putting them on the schedule.

RabidRabbit
November 9th, 2015, 03:29 PM
USD is most certainly a bad loss. While I rabidlyxrolleyesx agree, USD has the potential to be a better pick than SDSU, ISU-R, or NDSU. But Yotes would have to win out, and I just think that they don't have the D, or the O to win their last two games. Lose both, not in play-offs, not in top half of MVFC, bad loss for NDSU.

Likewise, unless Montana wins out, that loss for NDSU isn't looking so good. IMHO, NDSU may win auto-bid, but be the lowest seed of SDSU, ISU-R and NDSU.

RabidRabbit
November 9th, 2015, 03:32 PM

Win vs SHSU, and Genie (committee) may grant your wish. That last game should be a play-in game for #two out of Southland.

BEAR
November 9th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Win vs SHSU, and Genie (committee) may grant your wish. That last game should be a play-in game for #two out of Southland.

If Sam wins the last game..which I think they will...they will be dead even in the SLC with UCA..so why would they get the nod with a D2 on their schedule?

MTfan4life
November 9th, 2015, 03:37 PM

It's a messed up world when teams like The Citadel and Eastern Kentucky get more credit for beating crappy zero scholarship Valparaiso and Davidson, who would both struggle to finish .500 in D3, than Sam Houston State gets for beating D2 Texas A&M Commerce who both has scholarships and would tear through most of the PFL. Yes the SRS sucks in every which way, but this has to be the worst way. Beating Davidson is worth more than beating the #1 D2 team. Beating North Texas or UCF is worth more than beating Illinois State or North Dakota State.

deez_na
November 9th, 2015, 03:42 PM
It's a messed up world when teams like The Citadel and Eastern Kentucky get more credit for beating crappy zero scholarship Valparaiso and Davidson, who would both struggle to finish .500 in D3, than Sam Houston State gets for beating D2 Texas A&M Commerce who both has scholarships and would tear through most of the PFL. Yes the SRS sucks in every which way, but this has to be the worst way. Beating Davidson is worth more than beating the #1 D2 team. Beating North Texas or UCF is worth more than beating Illinois State or North Dakota State.

Very good point, it is pretty lame how that seems to work. I sometimes wonder what goes through ones head when using games like these for any ground at all.

RabidRabbit
November 9th, 2015, 03:48 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxeyebrowx

NoBowls really missed the boat on the MoValley remaining schedule. USD can't get to 7 wins without beating both SDSU and ISU-R. If that were to happen, SDSU and ISU-R won't be seeds. YSU must win out, which means beat NDSU this upcoming weekend, and ISU-B. If beat NDSU, then NDSU may well lose seed. For NDSU, SDSU, ISU-R to be seeds, need to win out, and be 9-2 for the season. IMHO, MVFC gets 4 into play-offs, not 6.

smilo
November 9th, 2015, 04:19 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxeyebrowx

NoBowls really missed the boat on the MoValley remaining schedule. USD can't get to 7 wins without beating both SDSU and ISU-R. If that were to happen, SDSU and ISU-R won't be seeds. YSU must win out, which means beat NDSU this upcoming weekend, and ISU-B. If beat NDSU, then NDSU may well lose seed. For NDSU, SDSU, ISU-R to be seeds, need to win out, and be 9-2 for the season. IMHO, MVFC gets 4 into play-offs, not 6.
NoBowls has always done "If the Season Ended" today. Unfortunate, particularly in FCS football, but their last one will be useful.

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2015, 07:53 PM

xcoolx...K.C's...ON RECORD....HE DOESN'T LIKE 'EM EITHER....WHAA PLAY D-2's...WHO CAN WIN.....WHEN YA GOTS ALL DEM SWAC'S 'N SUCH.....SOUTH-BAH-SOUTHWEST...xcoolx.......AWK!

McNeese75
November 9th, 2015, 08:21 PM
xcoolx...K.C's...ON RECORD....HE DOESN'T LIKE 'EM EITHER....WHAA PLAY D-2's...WHO CAN WIN.....WHEN YA GOTS ALL DEM SWAC'S 'N SUCH.....SOUTH-BAH-SOUTHWEST...xcoolx.......AWK!

Says the Man in the Peach Sweater xeyebrowx

towsonx
November 9th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I think some of teams from the Southland may be over-rated. At least when it comes to rankings. The latest (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/stats-fcs-top-2) shows McNeese at #3 and I just don't see it.

Here is why;

Sam Houston State (6-3), ranked #13;
6 wins over the following include;
Stephen F Austin (3-6)
Nicholls State (2-7)
Incarnate Word U (5-4) (transition from DII in 2013)
Abilene Christian (2-7) (transition from DII in 2013)
Houston Baptist (2-7) (football program established 2013)
Texas A&M - Commerce (DII)

Central Arkansas (6-3) ranked #28;
45-16 loss to Samford (4-5) (Southern). Of Samfords 4 wins, one was over a DII team.
wins over teams include;
Houston Baptist (2-7) (football program established 2013)

MCNEESE ST (9-0) Ranked # 3;
FBS game vs LSU canceled (weather) & no other FBS games.
wins over teams include;
Incarnate Word U (5-4) (transition from DII in 2013)
Mississippi College (D II program)

Maybe I'm wrong and these Div II newbies are much tougher than I know.

Really haven't heard much of Incarnate Word? the Fight'n Words?

FormerPokeCenter
November 9th, 2015, 08:28 PM
I'll see your Abilene Christiand and Incarnate Word, and raise you St. Francis and Holy Cross...

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Says the Man in the Peach Sweater xeyebrowx

...HEY AH'M ON YER SIDE......IT'S WHAT KC DID @ YOU-DEE VILLE...............DUMPED WEST CHESTER......PICKED UP DELAWARE STATE........CONFERENCES ARE TUFF ENUFF.....NO SHAME IN GETTIN' EZ W'S...DAT COUNT TOWARDS FULFILLMENT.............BRAWK-UH-DOODLE-DOO!

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 9th, 2015, 08:58 PM
I'll see your Abilene Christiand and Incarnate Word, and raise you St. Francis and Holy Cross...

Hey now, St. Francis is 6-3. We Catholics win our games unlike those Luther following, nail pounding, heretics!

-Signed a Methodist fan of SFU.

Bisonwinagn
November 9th, 2015, 10:29 PM
The only thing guaranteed is Coastal will play NDSU in the fargodome. Everything else is wide open.

MTfan4life
November 10th, 2015, 03:18 AM
1. Jacksonville State
Central Arkansas
Tennessee-Martin

Chattanooga
Richmond
8. Portland State

5. South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
Southern Utah

New Hampshire
Bryant
4. North Dakota State

3. Illinois State
James Madison
Dayton

Fordham
Towson
6. William & Mary

7. Charleston Southern
The Citadel
Coastal Carolina

Sam Houston State
Eastern Washington
2. McNeese State

CasualFan
November 10th, 2015, 07:33 AM
The only thing guaranteed is Coastal will play NDSU in the fargodome. Everything else is wide open.
I'm good with that. As a wise man once said, "In order to be the man, you've got to beat the man."

UIWWildthing
November 10th, 2015, 07:37 AM
I'm good with that. As a wise man once said, "In order to be the man, you've got to beat the man."

Woooo to that!

Sycamore62
November 10th, 2015, 08:27 AM

The only reason I think it could happen is because every road game I ever played in was a huge hassle. Maybe its less of an issue now and its a "short" drive but winning on the road is tough. especially in the MVFC

BEAR
November 10th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Central Arkansas loses: No D2 or below on schedule.

Samford- First game. Bad loss but early in season. Team still coming together. Not entirely unexpected loss but more of an unknown.

Oklahoma State- Top 5 FBS team this week. UCA had 12 tackles for loss against the pokes that game plus 4 sacks. Plus both lines dominated the Pokes. Expected loss.

McNeese- 4th quarter breakdown for Bears. A game that could have gone either way. BOTH expected (due to injuries) and unexpected (due to good defense).

Knock off the FBS loss and you have a loss to a top 5 McNeese and a strange loss to a team that hit the top 25 the very next week.

Not bad considering both QBs (starter and backup) have been out with shoulder injuries...we reflect the McNeese team well on both sides of the ball but sadly we look like their injury squad from recent years too. xlolx I think I posted in another thread our "list" of hurt starters that are finally getting healthy as this year ends. I foresee a win at Nicholls and a loss to SHSU to end up at 7-4.

MSU_77
November 10th, 2015, 10:02 AM
McNeese needs to win out @ Lamar. If that happens, we need to prove we can win a playoff game at home. Until those two things happen, we should keep our mouths shut. I have hope, but victories on the field are all that matters.

MR. CHICKEN
November 10th, 2015, 10:14 AM
McNeese needs to win out @ Lamar. If that happens, we need to prove we can win a playoff game at home. Until those two things happen, we should keep our mouths shut. I have hope, but victories on the field are all that matters.

...SENDIN' YA'S...UH COUPLE DUMP TRUCKS....UH SAND.......FROM REHOBETH.....(EVEN DOUGH DELAWARE CAIN'T AFFORD IT).......MCNEESE FANS...ARE LIKE....DUH BALL PLAYERS...WHO GRAB DEY'RE CROTCH...AN' PULL ON DUH ROSARY.....EVERAH AT BAT.....JES' 'CAUSE...ONCE WHEN DEY DID IT......DOUBLE DOWN DUH LINE....................AN' B/CAUSE O' DAT....I'M OUT...(LOVE IT WHEN DUH SHARKS SAY IT).............FIRE BRAWK!!

Mattymc727
November 10th, 2015, 11:48 AM
What about Towson and UNH at 7-4? Lets say Towson BEATS W&M, but loses to URI to end up at 7-4.

Both would have FBS losses

both would have a signature win (W&M or Richmond)

and both would have 2 bad losses: UNH lost to SBU and UD, Towson would have lost to Elon and URI.

Both in? Both out? do you pick 1?

Yote 53
November 10th, 2015, 11:50 AM

Yeah, but you are used to laying eggs against your rivals (see NDSU) aren't you, Little Brother.

McNeeserocket
November 10th, 2015, 12:06 PM
I foresee a win at Nicholls and a loss to SHSU to end up at 7-4.

I believe that UCA is selling themselves short. I think the best opponent that McNeese faced was UCA. Their defense is very very good. Their offense did well against our defense and adjusted to what McNeese was allowing. At the end of the McNeese -UCA game, I have said that I believed that UCA would not lose another game in the regular season. I still believe that after playing Sam Houston.

smilo
November 10th, 2015, 12:11 PM
What about Towson and UNH at 7-4? Lets say Towson BEATS W&M, but loses to URI to end up at 7-4.

Both would have FBS losses

both would have a signature win (W&M or Richmond)

and both would have 2 bad losses: UNH lost to SBU and UD, Towson would have lost to Elon and URI.

Both in? Both out? do you pick 1?

Let's throw Nova in there too ;)
After all, we are somehow favored this weekend, and JMU without Vad Lee hasn't won a game yet.

Gotta wonder which of the 6 CAA teams they would take in that scenario. I think the committee's bias would leave them to UNH choose of course =D

CappinHard
November 10th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but you are used to laying eggs against your rivals (see NDSU) aren't you, Little Brother.

Yeah, like that egg we laid against them last year in the playoffs... wait, we almost knocked them out when it actually mattered... How did USD do in the playoffs last year? Or any year? Enjoy the early off season again... maybe next year...

FormerPokeCenter
November 10th, 2015, 12:14 PM
I sense some sexual tension in the air....

CappinHard
November 10th, 2015, 12:16 PM
I sense some sexual tension in the air....

Nah, just little brother thinking they're tough again (catching lightning in a bottle against NDSU), and big brother putting them back in their place (winning convincingly on Saturday).

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2015, 12:17 PM

Haven't you guys scored as many points against us since you went DI as we scored on you in last years game? Who is little brother again?

jacksfan29
November 10th, 2015, 12:23 PM

Since the series was renewed:

November 17, 2012
Brookings, SD
South Dakota State
31–8

November 16, 2013
Vermillion, SD
South Dakota State
27–12

November 22, 2014
Brookings, SD
South Dakota State
37–14

Just a saying...

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2015, 12:30 PM
I stand corrected. We scored more in the last game vs the varmints than they have scored vs the Jacks in the DI era. xlolxxlolxxlolx

Bear84
November 10th, 2015, 01:10 PM
I believe that UCA is selling themselves short. I think the best opponent that McNeese faced was UCA. Their defense is very very good. Their offense did well against our defense and adjusted to what McNeese was allowing. At the end of the McNeese -UCA game, I have said that I believed that UCA would not lose another game in the regular season. I still believe that after playing Sam Houston.

xthumbsupx

UCABear is selling UCA short for some reason (sandbagging?). UCA has been playing the last few games with injured quarterback(s), which has really made the offense one-dimensional and conservative. The running game has carried us, along with the defense, through this period. It is likely that we will have both top quarterbacks fully healthy and ready by the SHSU game. If we get the offense back to full speed, I think this team can surprise some people.

BisonTru
November 11th, 2015, 01:17 PM
This is how massey has the season finishing. Colgate gets the Patroit AQ, NEC winner, and Dayton with the pioneer. All not listed.

Who gets the last 3 spots?

They are listed by rankings by Massey and non-D1 wins are excluded. Pink = Auto-bids, Orange = At larges

Need three more.

Jacksonville StOH Valley
10-1

N Dakota StMissouri Valley
9-2

S Dakota StMissouri Valley
9-2

Illinois StMissouri Valley
9-2

Southern UtahBig Sky
7-3

Northern IowaMissouri Valley
7-4

Charleston SoBig South
8-2

McNeese StSouthland
9-0

William & MaryColonial
9-2

James MadisonColonial
9-2

CitadelSouthern
7-4

Portland StBig Sky
8-2

Coastal CarBig South
10-1

Youngstown StMissouri Valley
6-5

ChattanoogaSouthern
7-3

FordhamPatriot League
9-2

RichmondColonial
7-4

E WashingtonBig Sky
6-5

W CarolinaSouthern
6-4

TN MartinOH Valley
7-3

Northern ArizonaBig Sky
6-4

VillanovaColonial
6-5

Sam Houston StSouthland
7-3

TowsonColonial
7-4

MontanaBig Sky
6-5

E KentuckyOH Valley
7-4

Cent ArkansasSouthland
7-4

Weber StBig Sky
6-5

WoffordSouthern
6-5

LehighPatriot League
6-5

TheKingpin28
November 11th, 2015, 02:28 PM
If this is how the season were to end, I'd be shocked if EWU or MU didn't have 1 of the 3 due to politics and size of stadium=dollars. I could see NAU getting one but a little less likely. EKU probably gets one as well. Central Arkansas I want to believe has a good shot to get one. All I can say is that I would not want to have to decide how this would play out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the MU win over NDSUwill definitely help their resume.

Nodak78
November 11th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Weber can't get to 7 D1 Wins.

JSUSoutherner
November 11th, 2015, 02:33 PM
EKU will win out and probably get an at large. UTM will only get the at large if they beat EIU.

Missingnumber7
November 11th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Weber can't get to 7 D1 Wins.

Its 7 wins, 6 D1 wins...this is straight from the bylaws:

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, fewer than

six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2015-16_DIFCS_PreChamps_20150924.pdf

ming01
November 11th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Best I could come up with. Projected end of season bracket.

UTM at Chattanooga vs 1. Jacksonville St
Bryant at Fordham vs 8. James Madison
Colgate at Richmond vs 5. William & Mary
Western Carolina at EWU vs. 4. NDSU
Portland State at UNI vs 3 Illinois St
Citadel at CCU vs. 6. Charleston Southern
Dayton at Montana vs. 7. SDSU
SUU at Central Arkansas vs. 2. McNeese St

eiu1999
November 11th, 2015, 04:34 PM
EKU will win out and probably get an at large. UTM will only get the at large if they beat EIU.

EKU finishes with EIU, don't bet on them getting to 7 wins.

CSU18
November 11th, 2015, 07:50 PM
This is how massey has the season finishing. Colgate gets the Patroit AQ, NEC winner, and Dayton with the pioneer. All not listed.

They are listed by rankings by Massey and non-D1 wins are excluded. Pink = Auto-bids, Orange = At larges

Need three more.

Jacksonville StOH Valley
10-1

9-2

9-2

9-2

Southern UtahBig Sky
7-3

7-4

Charleston SoBig South
8-2

McNeese StSouthland
9-0

William & MaryColonial
9-2

James MadisonColonial
9-2

CitadelSouthern
7-4

Portland StBig Sky
8-2

Coastal CarBig South
10-1

6-5

ChattanoogaSouthern
7-3

FordhamPatriot League
9-2

RichmondColonial
7-4

E WashingtonBig Sky
6-5

W CarolinaSouthern
6-4

TN MartinOH Valley
7-3

Northern ArizonaBig Sky
6-4

VillanovaColonial
6-5

Sam Houston StSouthland
7-3

TowsonColonial
7-4

MontanaBig Sky
6-5

E KentuckyOH Valley
7-4

Cent ArkansasSouthland
7-4

Weber StBig Sky
6-5

WoffordSouthern
6-5

LehighPatriot League
6-5

What about CSU's season has them so much higher than CCU, yet none of the polls reflect this?

Thumper 76
November 11th, 2015, 07:55 PM

I would love this bracket!

JSUSoutherner
November 11th, 2015, 08:41 PM
EKU finishes with EIU, don't bet on them getting to 7 wins.
EKU's defense will keep EIU at bay. EKU will win the game as long as they don't play EIU like they played us. They have a very talented roster.

A chance to beat Chattanooga twice in one season? Yes please.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
November 11th, 2015, 10:31 PM

SDSU at 7 ? I could see anywhere from 3-5. And prob ahead of ISUr if not both ISUr and NDSU

ElCid
November 12th, 2015, 05:38 AM

Need three more.

Jacksonville StOH Valley
10-1

9-2

9-2

9-2

Southern UtahBig Sky
7-3

7-4

Charleston SoBig South
8-2

McNeese StSouthland
9-0

William & MaryColonial
9-2

James MadisonColonial
9-2

CitadelSouthern
7-4

Portland StBig Sky
8-2

Coastal CarBig South
10-1

6-5

ChattanoogaSouthern
7-3

FordhamPatriot League
9-2

RichmondColonial
7-4

E WashingtonBig Sky
6-5

W CarolinaSouthern
6-4

TN MartinOH Valley
7-3

Northern ArizonaBig Sky
6-4

VillanovaColonial
6-5

Sam Houston StSouthland
7-3

TowsonColonial
7-4

MontanaBig Sky
6-5

E KentuckyOH Valley
7-4

Cent ArkansasSouthland
7-4

Weber StBig Sky
6-5

WoffordSouthern
6-5

LehighPatriot League
6-5

This does not compute. It has The Citadel at 7-4 and UTC at 7-3, but us winning the autobid. That means The Citadel, which is 7-2 right now, would lose the next 2 games and UTC which is 6-2 right now would win at least one more game. UTC has us and Fla St. If UTC beats us, they are the autobid and the records are correct. If we win the (Div I) records would be 8-3 for The Citadel and 6-4 for UTC. That is the only way we get the autobid.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2015, 05:45 AM
SDSU at 7 ? I could see anywhere from 3-5. And prob ahead of ISUr if not both ISUr and NDSU

IMO, if all are tied at 9-2, NDSU is the highest seeded team. Valley auto bid and having a head/head over SDSU.

Plus a filled dome making $$ for the NCAA is a plus.

Big_Fan
November 12th, 2015, 07:01 AM
EKU's defense will keep EIU at bay. EKU will win the game as long as they don't play EIU like they played us. They have a very talented roster.

A chance to beat Chattanooga twice in one season? Yes please.

Being the #1 seed in the playoffs is probably the only way we will see UTC back in Jacksonville. I am sure that they are searching hard for a FBS team to buy out our game in 2017.

RabidRabbit
November 12th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Thanks to the many solid teams that played challenging OOC FCS teams this year. In the MVFC & both BSCs in particular, there were good interconnected challenges, not done in by needing a bus ride game, or 9 conference games.

NEC - Thanks for the multitude of challenging yourselves OOC.

Hope that Ivy eventually opens the door to more and better OOC challenges. Enjoyed watching the Harvard-Dartmouth game. Those were two evenly matched teams.

This has all led to the most wide open FCS play-offs selection process I've seen in my 10 years as an AGS poll voter.

I'm with Thumper 76. I really hope that like 2013, SDSU doesn't have to face NDSU until Frisco. Jacks have a really good team this season, and IMO, just need the opportunity to shine in any forum besides the Fargo Dome. IMO, I suspect that SDSU is a top 4 team, maybe even championship quality.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
November 12th, 2015, 09:40 AM
IMO, if all are tied at 9-2, NDSU is the highest seeded team. Valley auto bid and having a head/head over SDSU.

Plus a filled dome making $$ for the NCAA is a plus.

Your points are completely valid but I think that would be your system of measure right now and that the selection committee may take into account the quality of wins vs the quality of losses of SDSU which when stacked up directly look better than NDSU's. Personally I don't care as long as we get a home game and some separation from the valley. Going out on a limb but I believe all four valley teams can win it all. NDSU, SDSU, ISUr, and don't forget UNI who is playing well as of late.

Missingnumber7
November 12th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Your points are completely valid but I think that would be your system of measure right now and that the selection committee may take into account the quality of wins vs the quality of losses of SDSU which when stacked up directly look better than NDSU's. Personally I don't care as long as we get a home game and some separation from the valley. Going out on a limb but I believe all four valley teams can win it all. NDSU, SDSU, ISUr, and don't forget UNI who is playing well as of late.

The piece that your evaluation is missing is that SDSU lost both of their games at home, and the lost to NDSU was by 21. Both of NDSU's losses were by 3, 1 was on the road and one was at home. Both of ISUR's losses were on the road, one being to an FBS that is and will probably still be at the time of selection undefeated and ranked top 10.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2015, 09:53 AM
What about CSU's season has them so much higher than CCU, yet none of the polls reflect this?

Massey Composite takes a view from a lot of different computer rankings and a few human polls. So the computer rankings rely on their unique algorithms (some I would question more than others) while the human polls are subjective. The biggest reason why the polls and rankings are different is probably the history and that the media and coaches know that teams can stumble so they typically don't over react. It also takes time for the humans to build confidence in teams. This is CSU's second conference title in 10 years znd first time in the playoffs - just keep performing and things will work out.

kalm
November 12th, 2015, 09:54 AM
The piece that your evaluation is missing is that SDSU lost both of their games at home, and the lost to NDSU was by 21. Both of NDSU's losses were by 3, 1 was on the road and one was at home. Both of ISUR's losses were on the road, one being to an FBS that is and will probably still be at the time of selection undefeated and ranked top 10.

But similar to conference championships and h2h, I think where you lost is down the list of criteria from who you beat, who you lost to.

Missingnumber7
November 12th, 2015, 10:40 AM
But similar to conference championships and h2h, I think where you lost is down the list of criteria from who you beat, who you lost to.

It remains to be seen how the new SRS that will include margin of victory up to 21 points and a WL calculation will effect selection or if it will be only used for determining at large teams and then they seed based on the eye test. In the end this is all speculation on all of our parts and when we all think we have it figured out the selection committee is probably sitting in the room reading the message board and decides to completely screw with us.

BisonTru
November 12th, 2015, 11:08 AM
This does not compute. It has The Citadel at 7-4 and UTC at 7-3, but us winning the autobid. That means The Citadel, which is 7-2 right now, would lose the next 2 games and UTC which is 6-2 right now would win at least one more game. UTC has us and Fla St. If UTC beats us, they are the autobid and the records are correct. If we win the (Div I) records would be 8-3 for The Citadel and 6-4 for UTC. That is the only way we get the autobid.

You're correct, I should have the colors switched based on projections, but non the less both are getting in, in that scenario. I was more curious what others thought about the last three spots and who should fill them.

Massey Composite takes a view from a lot of different computer rankings and a few human polls. So the computer rankings rely on their unique algorithms (some I would question more than others) while the human polls are subjective. The biggest reason why the polls and rankings are different is probably the history and that the media and coaches know that teams can stumble so they typically don't over react. It also takes time for the humans to build confidence in teams. This is CSU's second conference title in 10 years znd first time in the playoffs - just keep performing and things will work out.

FWIW, I was using just Massey not the composite. In my opinion I believe CSU deserves to be in front of you guys. You guys do have a good playoff history with performances the past couple seasons. But when you look at how closely you guys are winning some should be easy games it shows signs you may not be what you where the past couple of seasons. Add in the head to head lose to CSU, I just can't understand why CCU deserves to be ahead of CSU.

And for the record, I'm a big Moglia fan, and would love to find a reason to rank you higher, just can't find one.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2015, 11:41 AM
You're correct, I should have the colors switched based on projections, but non the less both are getting in, in that scenario. I was more curious what others thought about the last three spots and who should fill them.

FWIW, I was using just Massey not the composite. In my opinion I believe CSU deserves to be in front of you guys. You guys do have a good playoff history with performances the past couple seasons. But when you look at how closely you guys are winning some should be easy games it shows signs you may not be what you where the past couple of seasons. Add in the head to head lose to CSU, I just can't understand why CCU deserves to be ahead of CSU.

And for the record, I'm a big Moglia fan, and would love to find a reason to rank you higher, just can't find one.

Ok - I thought you were using the composite which is better IMO.

I'm not arguing one way or the other about CSU and Coastal - just explaining why the polls and computers don't jive.

Another example is Harvard at 1 but AGS has them at 17. They are just different.

Bisonator
November 12th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks to the many solid teams that played challenging OOC FCS teams this year. In the MVFC & both BSCs in particular, there were good interconnected challenges, not done in by needing a bus ride game, or 9 conference games.

NEC - Thanks for the multitude of challenging yourselves OOC.

Hope that Ivy eventually opens the door to more and better OOC challenges. Enjoyed watching the Harvard-Dartmouth game. Those were two evenly matched teams.

This has all led to the most wide open FCS play-offs selection process I've seen in my 10 years as an AGS poll voter.

I'm with Thumper 76. I really hope that like 2013, SDSU doesn't have to face NDSU until Frisco. Jacks have a really good team this season, and IMO, just need the opportunity to shine in any forum besides the Fargo Dome. IMO, I suspect that SDSU is a top 4 team, maybe even championship quality.

Didn't you have your chance to shine a few weeks ago?xrolleyesx

Jackal
November 12th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Ouch. Rabid walked right in to that one.

CappinHard
November 12th, 2015, 01:15 PM

Touché.

FargoBison
November 12th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Is CCU even a playoff team if Liberty beats them? Their resume is soft at 9-2 with their best wins against WIU and Furman....two teams firmly out of the playoff race. Not sure the Big South gets three teams in and Liberty would have a much beefier resume to go along with the head to head win.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Is CCU even a playoff team if Liberty beats them? Their resume is soft at 9-2 with their best wins against WIU and Furman....two teams firmly out of the playoff race. Not sure the Big South gets three teams in and Liberty would have a much beefier resume to go along with the head to head win.

WIU is in the MVFC, so as you know they are God's conference and we get bonus points. But I don't think you'll have to worry about that scenario after Saturday as CSU will beat them. You are assuming that Liberty would beat CSU and CCU in bac to back weeks - I don't think it will happen.

Can you explain how Liberty's resume is "much beefier"? Inquiring minds and all.

FargoBison
November 12th, 2015, 01:44 PM
WIU is in the MVFC, so as you know they are God's conference and we get bonus points. But I don't think you'll have to worry about that scenario after Saturday as CSU will beat them. You are assuming that Liberty would beat CSU and CCU in bac to back weeks - I don't think it will happen.

Can you explain how Liberty's resume is "much beefier"? Inquiring minds and all.

FBS win, Montana win(could still be a playoff team) and wins over CSU and CCU would be beefy. Not saying the last two things will happen but it is an interesting to scenario to look at.

Mayville Bison
November 12th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Since he mentions the Big South getting 3 teams, I'm pretty sure he is referring to Liberty taking out both CSU and CCU. I really think if Liberty takes down CSU this weekend, that final game between Liberty and CCU will determine who gets a playoff spot. Liberty will have beaten the two best (outside of themselves of course) teams in the conference while CCU beat neither one.

Also, don't forget the politics in play here. The committee won't be looking for a reason to leave out CCU, but they aren't going to look for many reasons to bring them in above someone else. At 10-1 they are a lock. At 9-2, they will get a jump on the transition. That same reason could also keep them from getting a seed. I hope not because I've been impressed with what CCU has done in the past 4 years. They have come a long way in the past 7-8 years as they have gotten better in each year.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2015, 01:58 PM
FBS win, Montana win(could still be a playoff team) and wins over CSU and CCU would be beefy. Not saying the last two things will happen but it is an interesting to scenario to look at.

Just because a team could luck their way into the playoffs or happens to be a bad FBS team doesn't make them good or "beefy". WIU is currently rated (by Massey) well above either of those teams. Sure, Liberty would have 2 quality wins vs CSU and Coastal but what in their resume thus far gives you confidence that they'll pull of wins in back to back weeks vs those two teams?

FargoBison
November 12th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Just because a team could luck their way into the playoffs or happens to be a bad FBS team doesn't make them good or "beefy". WIU is currently rated (by Massey) well above either of those teams. Sure, Liberty would have 2 quality wins vs CSU and Coastal but what in their resume thus far gives you confidence that they'll pull of wins in back to back weeks vs those two teams?

I don't have a ton of confidence that said both CSU and CCU have shown they are capable of a stumble. If they can take CSU they get CCU at home, which would be big for them. With that said I would put my confidence level of under 20% of them pulling it off.

As for WIU, they will likely be a four or five win team. I don't see anyone getting a lot of love from them committee for beating them even though I think beating them is better then beating Montana. The committee uses a lot of flawed logic, they'll see Montana as a playoff team if they win out and they eat up even crappy FBS wins. I don't' like it, I would much rather see them reward wins against top FCS teams more but it is what is.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I don't have a ton of confidence that said both CSU and CCU have shown they are capable of a stumble. If they can take CSU they get CCU at home, which would be big for them. With that said I would put my confidence level of under 20% of them pulling it off.

As for WIU, they will likely be a four or five win team. I don't see anyone getting a lot of love from them committee for beating them even though I think beating them is better then beating Montana. The committee uses a lot of flawed logic, they'll see Montana as a playoff team if they win out and they eat up even crappy FBS wins. I don't' like it, I would much rather see them reward wins against top FCS teams more but it is what is.

I agree that the committee uses flawed logic but I don't think those examples are trump cards by any means. There are many arguments to be made - the difficult especially this season is that many teams have pros and cons that you good easily make an argument either way.

jmrepak
November 12th, 2015, 09:31 PM
I think this conversation is better had on Sunday after knowing whether Liberty beats CSU and Coastal beats KSU. If both happen I still see CCU as a lock with 9 D-1 wins based on ranking and history regardless of what happens in Lynchburg next Thursday (see SHSU two years ago. No one thought they deserved a spot but got in on history and made it to the semis). For that reason, all I care about is for us to dominate this weekend which should lock it up. If we did that and lost to Liberty we would not even be remotely considered for a seed, but we are still playing at home on opening weekend. If we win out we may even get a home seed through the quarters. Time will tell and Sunday is only a few days away

4bidn1
November 13th, 2015, 08:18 AM

It wouldn't be luck it would have been what transpired on the field between the two teams. Their resume now holds nothing but the fact they played tougher teams than CSU, the fact you could say they may be a tad bit more battle tested than CSU, the fact they haven't lost to CSU in Charleston since '05. I guess all will be settled by about 530 pm tomorrow, tho.

4bidn1
November 13th, 2015, 08:20 AM
I agree that the committee uses flawed logic but I don't think those examples are trump cards by any means. There are many arguments to be made - the difficult especially this season is that many teams have pros and cons that you good easily make an argument either way.

They are trump cards, but you just don't like them, because it may end up costing CCU in the end.

4bidn1
November 13th, 2015, 08:23 AM
I am pretty sure that history is not on the side of LU, but know this with the short sample size that they brought to the table last year they are not going to be an ez out. Beat JMU on the road and gave Villanova all they could handle, so when you say history its not like they are some chop liver team that can just be smacked around, but alas I digress, Saturday about 530 pm will help tell the tale.