PDA

View Full Version : Memo to ESPN: THE GAME IS THE EVENT

GtFllsGriz
December 9th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I felt so sorry for the ESPN announcers that had to put up with the football game that kept interupting their analysis of the BCS. Clearly they were in Missoula to have a podium for themselves as opposed to enhancing the game being played on the field.

ESPN sports channels are on 24/7 so you would think that they could forego having their opinions shared while a game is actually being played. I really don't care what they think anyway, just announce the game!

Memo to ESPN: THE GAME IS THE EVENT! You can have your talking heads blabber the other 21 hours of the day.

Great production ESPN, now send someone that wants to enhance the game, not their ego!

December 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I felt so sorry for the ESPN announcers that had to put up with the football game that kept interupting their analysis of the BCS. Clearly they were in Missoula to have a podium for themselves as opposed to enhancing the game being played on the field.

ESPN sports channels are on 24/7 so you would think that they could forego having their opinions shared while a game is actually being played. I really don't care what they think anyway, just announce the game!

Memo to ESPN: THE GAME IS THE EVENT! You can have your talking heads blabber the other 21 hours of the day.

Great production ESPN, now send someone that wants to enhance the game, not their ego!xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Old Cage
December 9th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I was screaming at those idiots to shut up about the BCS. I was taping so couldn't mute them, but I did turn on the UMass radio broadcast to know what was going on.

FlyYtown
December 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Simple way to change it all. MUTE THE TV and Listen to the radio...
No way will I listen to the dike today.

mistersykes
December 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM
:confused:

LeopardFan04
December 9th, 2006, 01:24 PM

: smh : I assume you mean Pam Ward...I think she'll do better and then some over last nights joke of a crew...

Calif_Colonial
I knew it was coming, but I was hoping it would not! I just hit the mute and shook my head. Thankfully I watched the game by myself and didn't have to explain to non-football types what the rambling was all about concerning Div I Football. :bang:

GOKATS

I would mute the sound if they at least kept the cameras on the game instead of the three bozos announcing it. The 3rd quarter was an absolute joke in sports broadcasting.

DuckDuckGriz
December 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Does anyone remember when Thomas Brooks-Fletcher ran about 3 yards, broke out of a wall of UMass players and went around for about 15 more yards? A pretty big play (that was even shown in the highlights) - and instead of even mentioning it these dopes went right back to their discussion. No replay or anything.

I watched with a bunch of UO students who do care about the BCS and even they were like "Shut up!!!" Especially when ESPN went to the poll results by the fans, as if it isn't the 100000th poll taken on this and as if the results were some surprise.

Umass74
December 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I hope that ESPN does a better job with Appalachian and Youngstown today.

That third quarter of the UMass-Montana game was awful. As I said before, I understand they have to play to the $$$, but COULD WE AT LEAST WATCH THE GAME while they're talking? Why did they have to keep the camera in the booth?

If the atmosphere the Grizz fans provided, can't keep their attention, then what in our division could?

UMass922
December 9th, 2006, 01:39 PM
: smh : I assume you mean Pam Ward...I think she'll do better and then some over last nights joke of a crew...

Agreed. I think she's pretty good, actually. I have no doubt that this afternoon's broadcast will be much easier on the ears than last night's.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 9th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Just one question, does anybody have ESPN's email address?
Ralph, would it be possible to ask all members who are upset by ESPN's broadcast to email intelligent comments to ESPN. I agree that there were some portions of the show that were terrible. Instead of complaining amongst ourselves, let's complain to ESPN.
What does everybody think?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2006, 01:42 PM

I do find a lot of these woman commentators in sports annoying, but I have to admit that Pam Ward has done a good job. She is a strong advocate of FBS playoffs and will probably do a better job of keeping her facts straight and probably won't talke about BCS games in between plays. She was the commentator for the GSU-Texas State and Texas State Cal Poly games last year and I thought she did a pretty good job.

I think most everyone will be pleased with how she does.

Go Poly
December 9th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I hope that ESPN does a better job with Appalachian and Youngstown today.

That third quarter of the UMass-Montana game was awful. As I said before, I understand they have to play to the $$$, but COULD WE AT LEAST WATCH THE GAME while they're talking? Why did they have to keep the camera in the booth?

If the atmosphere the Grizz fans provided, can't keep their attention, then what in our division could?

You guys are right on. I watched most of the game, but frankly I get sick of hearing from Gilmore and company! They need some folks that care about 1-aa (oops, championship sub division..I still have a problem with this!) and want to keep the viewers into the game that is being televised! Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

Nice win by UMass! I feel a little sorry for the boneheaded 1st down pass with seconds left in the game....bummer way to end the season Griz fans! :bang:

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM
You can bet these same three clowns will be announcing the NC game in Chatty........Someone on the board last evening said he was sending an email to ESPN to complain.......if that's the case....maybe all of us should send one. Your thoughts?

DuckDuckGriz
December 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM
OH YEAH

and the someone should teach the sideline girl how to pronounce HELENA.:bang: :bang:

Go Poly
December 9th, 2006, 01:50 PM
You can bet these same three clowns will be announcing the NC game in Chatty........Someone on the board last evening said he was sending an email to ESPN to complain.......if that's the case....maybe all of us should send one. Your thoughts?

Great idea! I would be happy to send an email as well...the question is where to send it?

LeopardFan04
December 9th, 2006, 01:51 PM
You can email George Solomon, their ombudsman here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=2097428

He usually as a column once a month addressing issues with coverage, etc.

GtFllsGriz
December 9th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Sent mine:

I am writing to express my total disappointment in the broadcasting crew that presented the FCS game in Missoula on Friday night. For much of the third period we listened to an on-going discussion of their opinion of the BCS system. Quite frankly, I could care less about their opinion.

ESPN was in Missoula to broadcast a game and as such the game was the event, not the broadcasters.

In this time of 24:7 news and sports TV there are plenty of hours to discuss the BCS and listen to meaningless opinions. Why then were we subjected to listening to three broadcasters that did not appear to even care about the game let alone try to advance the excitement of the game.

It appeared to me and others watching that their egos were what was being promoted, not the game.

The production of the game was top notch but shame on those broadcasters and ESPN for disrepecting the game for their self indulgent blabber.

TheBisonator
December 9th, 2006, 10:47 PM

Ring... Ring... Ring...

Hello, Homophobia??

Heeeeeyyyy... How ya doing???

Cobblestone
December 9th, 2006, 10:53 PM

Great production ESPN, now send someone that wants to enhance the game, not their ego!

:hurray:

Well said! The BCS gets enough publicity. I-AA only gets a piece of the spotlight during this time of the year. So give the spotlight to I-AA and save the BCS for the first week of January.

james_lawfirm
December 10th, 2006, 08:29 AM

I watched the UMass/Montana on ESPN2 & kept screaming at the announcers to just shut up about anything other than the game I was watching. Further, their comments about the QB's late mother ought to get the entire crew fired. He said it at least three times. That was out of bounds, classless & tasteless.

I was at the ASU/YSU game & taped it too. I have watched most of the first half so far. One of the ESPN announcers was a former YSU coach (don't know his name). This crew seemed to be really good. They did discuss the Heisman some, but I thought that was OK. Even my 11 yr. old son is interested in that. Most of the commentary by these announcers (for the first half at least) was either on the game, the players, or ASU's Chancellor (and his PASSION for his team). The difference between the announcers at the ASU game and the Montana game was palpable. Can't explain why, but the announcers at the ASU game were much better. Of course, I reserve judgment on the whole game until I watch the 2nd half this afternoon.

Maybe ESPN has its 1st and 2nd stringers too & the 2nd team does ESPN2.

penguin8797
December 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I didn't pay much attention to the ASU/YSU announcers due to having the sound off in favor of the local radio broadcast. Ward is not so bad but I find her rather dull. Gottfreid is intelligent but his delivery is kind of dull too, and he sounded like his speech was slurred as if wasted for the little that I did listen.

Even with the sound off, I couldn't help but notice how much time was spent on sidelines and not on the game or replays. As the game got out of hand I can understand it, but I feel like I personally know the ASU chancellor for all the time they spent with him on the sidelines. Even though the UM/UM game was close they still blabbered on forever about the BCS. The good thing was the huge crowds that showed up and had fun at each game.

ucdavisaggie05
December 10th, 2006, 11:49 AM
One point I have to make...

It makes no sense for ESPN to publicize the BCS results and the surrounding controversy - ESPN/ABC no longer has the TV rights for the BCS games - just the Rose Bowl!

Excellent business decision. Publicize a series of games to which you no longer hold the television rights during a game that you are actually broadcasting. BRILLIANT!

Kudos, ESPN!

OhioHen
December 11th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Over the past several years, Pam Ward has proven to be a better announcer than many (most?) of the other college football announcers.

Pard4Life
December 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM
The YSU-ASU game was called horribly IMO... the man sounded like he was having a stroke or was ready to take a nap... and the woman had no suspense or drama in her voice. There was a chaotic play occuring the field... YSU fumble deep in their end... and they hardly reacted to the play. Awful...

Can't comment too much on the Montana game... fell asleep with 7min to play in the fist quarter.. woke-up with 10min to play in the game... whoops.. :)

BeauFoster
December 11th, 2006, 09:53 AM
As much as I have disliked Ward in the past, I just finished watching the ASU-YSU game and the entire crew did a great job. Pam obviously watches the playoffs and keeps up with FCS, as she knew what was going on with the recent history of both programs. The fools at the UM game couldn't even remember who won last years championship (said that the winner of the UMUM game got the winner of the YSU-ASU game and then announced YSU won last year, their first championship in any team sport). I am seriously considering taping the radio broadcast so I can "sync" it up with the DVRed game play.

NativeAppy
December 11th, 2006, 11:31 AM
As much as I have disliked Ward in the past, I just finished watching the ASU-YSU game and the entire crew did a great job. Pam obviously watches the playoffs and keeps up with FCS, as she knew what was going on with the recent history of both programs. The fools at the UM game couldn't even remember who won last years championship (said that the winner of the UMUM game got the winner of the YSU-ASU game and then announced YSU won last year, their first championship in any team sport). I am seriously considering taping the radio broadcast so I can "sync" it up with the DVRed game play.

she did call the Blue Ridge Mountains the Smokey Mountains in one segment. anyone else notice this? I was at the game and came home and watched the DVR. Much better than the Montana game though. I was hoping Ron Jaworski would say something about ASU but I guess he's too busy watching game tape of Peyton Manning to notice us.

Pard4Life
December 11th, 2006, 12:11 PM
she did call the Blue Ridge Mountains the Smokey Mountains in one segment. anyone else notice this? I was at the game and came home and watched the DVR. Much better than the Montana game though. I was hoping Ron Jaworski would say something about ASU but I guess he's too busy watching game tape of Peyton Manning to notice us.

Well Ron did sound like he was distracted xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2006, 01:58 PM
One point I have to make...

It makes no sense for ESPN to publicize the BCS results and the surrounding controversy - ESPN/ABC no longer has the TV rights for the BCS games - just the Rose Bowl!

Excellent business decision. Publicize a series of games to which you no longer hold the television rights during a game that you are actually broadcasting. BRILLIANT!

Kudos, ESPN!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xlolx

I couldn't have put this any better about undersanding the audience, and promoting the "product" you have. These are not job applications for studio jobs.

Can I mention: I saw the crew for the Montana game, and Rod there, and I thought, "Expect about two dozen threads on this on AGS" xlolx

Appaholic
December 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Great Post! Gald to see I wasn't being hyper-sensitive regarding this issue. I am BCS'ed out.....talk about your current product!

Another issue I had with UM-UMass game was the lack of story on either school at halftime. Of course, we had to hear more blather about BCS....apparently, they felt they had short-changed the BCS during the game. Why must our tournament continue to be the red-headed step child of college football?? At least we avoid all controversy and decide our champion on the field. I believe the BCS is a conspiracy by Sport Networks in an effort to affirm their value by having something to dissect hourly from November to January.....:bang:

mtgrizfan4life
December 11th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I hope for sake of 1A football championship teams ESPN will do much better concentrating on the division and keep BCS talk to the minimum. However, the westminster dog show, darts, bowling, poker, and paintball competition receive more attention by ESPN than our Division.

With that said, I hope U Mass and App State put on one great show. I am just going to enjoy the game without rooting interest. Either way one team ties the GRIZ with championship #2.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 11th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Did anybody watch the D-II semi-final game last night between Grand Valley State (Michigan) and Delta State (Mississippi)? During the game the discussion was about the two schools, their football seasons, football strategy and the actual game! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: What a concept!! :p

Do you think ESPN reacted to feedback from the UMass-Montana game or it's just the three stooges on Friday night who are obsessed with the BCS? I haven't caught up yet with all the current AGS threads to see if anybody posted info about a reply from ESPN.

catamount man
December 11th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Did anybody watch the D-II semi-final game last night between Grand Valley State (Michigan) and Delta State (Mississippi)? During the game the discussion was about the two schools, their football seasons, football strategy and the actual game! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: What a concept!! :p

Do you think ESPN reacted to feedback from the UMass-Montana game or it's just the three stooges on Friday night who are obsessed with the BCS? I haven't caught up yet with all the current AGS threads to see if anybody posted info about a reply from ESPN.

I think it may just be that crew. Gotta tell ya, I was impressed with Pam Ward and her calling of the App-Youngstown game. Very knowledgeable and seemed like she was having fun slamming the BCS.:hurray:

Gottfried, on the other hand, sounded like he'd had one too many sips of the old mountain jug! HA!!!xlolx

Umass74
December 11th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Pam Ward was all business. I'll take that any day compared to what went on with UMass-Montana.

I thought the Youngstown-Appalachian crew was much better.:twocents:

Appguy
December 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Gary thorne did the D2 game. Hes usually very good.
The reason they talk about all these transfers is because its all they know about the teams since there isn't a whole lot of press on any of them

thmst30
December 11th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Just hope the title game has a better crew than last season. They were incredibly incoherent about ASU and UNI. One specific quote I remember was the idiotic blonde sideline reporter proclaiming that Richie Williams had been the face of our team for the last 6 years.xidiotx

Appguy
December 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Shes a women's basketball commentator. just shows how important it is to them