PDA

View Full Version : Final Play Of Montana/Idaho St.

Peems
November 7th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Didn't see a thread, figured I'd start one. Here is how the Griz somehow managed to survive Idaho St. Context: Griz started OT with the ball promptly drove down to the 2, and then promptly fumbled the ball. ISU recovered. ISU just goes with three straight running plays and then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2jCdVj1ewY

BisonFan02
November 7th, 2015, 09:47 PM
You're still out of my top 25 poll (maybe) xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Ummmm, isn't that a forward lateral by the Montana player that initially recovered the ball? Or did they claim he didn't establish possession by that point?

Crazy play regardless.

Peems
November 7th, 2015, 09:49 PM
You're still out of my top 25 poll (maybe) xlolx

Yeah, we really haven't beaten any quality teams this year :D;)

- - - Updated - - -

Ummmm, isn't that a forward lateral by the Montana player that initially recovered the ball? Or did they claim he didn't establish possession by that point?

Crazy play regardless.

They reviewed the play, and ruled that no one had possession, i initially thought our guy was down by contact.

BisonFan02
November 7th, 2015, 09:50 PM

Look........I'm REALLY trying to find a way to put you guys back in the top 25...it would make that loss not look so bad. Not quite USD bad...but bad-ish/"do better" like. xthumbsupx

BEAR
November 7th, 2015, 09:50 PM
So after the Montana player gained possesion of the ball he slid across the ground and got back up and threw it up in the air. Wasn't he down? I kept freeze framing when he took possession and his knee was down before he threw it. (Am I missing something?) Good ending to that game though.

Bison56
November 7th, 2015, 09:51 PM
So after the Montana player gained possesion of the ball he slid across the ground and got back up and threw it up in the air. Wasn't he down? I kept freeze framing when he took possession and his knee was down before he threw it. (Am I missing something?) Good ending to that game though.
That's the same thing I was thinking.

Drblankstare
November 7th, 2015, 09:52 PM
WTF was that. Some teams have just perfected the art of losing. I thought the end of the SDSU Kansas game was bad.

centennial
November 7th, 2015, 09:53 PM

- - - Updated - - -

They reviewed the play, and ruled that no one had possession, i initially thought our guy was down by contact.
You guys got lucky. Much win.

SUPharmacist
November 7th, 2015, 09:53 PM

I would love to see another angle, as I too thought he was down and committed a forward lateral. Crazy ending though, and whether it was a correct or incorrect call that is part of the game.

BEAR
November 7th, 2015, 09:55 PM
I would love to see another angle, as I too thought he was down and committed a forward lateral. Crazy ending though, and whether it was a correct or incorrect call that is part of the game.

I agree. I've seen it happen in other games before. No biggie unless you're on the losing end of it. xlolx

Sycamore62
November 7th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Every game I see guys without possession get the ball from the ground with 1 hand up over their head 2yds down the field to anotother teammate in a sudden death play situation. No way he had possession

edit: I'm sorry, both hands

Bisonwinagn
November 7th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I think it's obvious he flipped the ball forward which is a penalty, but none the less I've never seen a snap over a holders head like that. They deserved to lose.

Peems
November 7th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I think it's obvious he flipped the ball forward which is a penalty, but none the less I've never seen a snap over a holders head like that. They deserved to lose.

It really was a display of futility by both teams near the end. no one wanted to win

Laker
November 7th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Why do they even have instant replay anymore? I could see it if an official misses a call in real time. But when they can go frame by frame this should not have been allowed.

I think that many officials in sports are getting to be as incompetent as our government officials.

BisonFan02
November 7th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Why do they even have instant replay anymore? I could see it if an official misses a call in real time. But when they can go frame by frame this should not have been allowed.

I think that many officials in sports are getting to be as incompetent as our government officials.

I think they have video of the replay official after making his/her decision....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSH_riW7V8s

clenz
November 7th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Forward lateral in every sense of the rule.

Bungles got screwed

Bisonator
November 7th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Was Bill Fette the replay official?xcoffeex

Hammersmith
November 7th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Officials got it right. Open the link full screen, manually set it to 720p, then run it at 0.25 speed and watch the ball. And then try to tell me that #18 ever had anything even close to possession of that ball.

putter
November 7th, 2015, 10:51 PM
The TV broadcast showed the play many times from different angles. The ISU player dove and the ball slid out and the Montana player tried to grab it and when he started to stand up the ball popped straight up, no forward lateral at all. He never even had possession.....

Hammersmith
November 7th, 2015, 10:53 PM

Bungles got screwed

Please tell me that's a sarcastic joke.

Twentysix
November 8th, 2015, 12:22 AM
Didn't see a thread, figured I'd start one. Here is how the Griz somehow managed to survive Idaho St. Context: Griz started OT with the ball promptly drove down to the 2, and then promptly fumbled the ball. ISU recovered. ISU just goes with three straight running plays and then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2jCdVj1ewY

When people say "don't **** the bed" this is exactly what they are talking about. ISUo **** the bed.

Twentysix
November 8th, 2015, 12:23 AM
Officials got it right. Open the link full screen, manually set it to 720p, then run it at 0.25 speed and watch the ball. And then try to tell me that #18 ever had anything even close to possession of that ball.

I agree with this. Right away I thought that he was down, but after blowing up the video and slowing it down, I don't see any evidence that he ever really had control of the ball.

I would guess that is exactly what the replay official did.

polsongrizz
November 8th, 2015, 12:37 AM
That's the same thing I was thinking.

That is not at all what happened...

polsongrizz
November 8th, 2015, 12:39 AM

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bisonwinagn
November 8th, 2015, 01:19 AM
You don't need possession to bat it forward. If you have all the angles then fine, but in normal speed he flung it up in the air because he didn't want to get tackled.

Silenoz
November 8th, 2015, 01:25 AM

Bungles got screwed
Shocking

BisonTru
November 8th, 2015, 05:18 AM
SC top 10
10https://vimeo.com/145035654

Grizalltheway
November 8th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Better to be lucky than good I reckon.

clenz
November 8th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Shocking

Let me guess

I hate Montana?

Grizalltheway
November 8th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Dunno if hate's the right word, but you never seem to have anything nice to say about them.;)

clenz
November 8th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Dunno if hate's the right word, but you never seem to have anything nice to say about them.;)

About as much as you UNI.

What's your point?

Catsfan90
November 8th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Wow great play! Once they call it a touchdown it becomes much harder to overturn. Without blowing it up and slowing it down as people were saying. It's tough to have indisputable video evidence. Great win Griz!

PAllen
November 8th, 2015, 09:02 AM

Well, he picked it up off the ground. Even if you claim he didn't have possession, he intentionally batted a loose ball forward to a teammate. That is also a penalty and the play is dead right there. I got out of officiating because I was tired of dealing with all of the politics and working with screw ups who could do no wrong in the eyes of the head of officiating because they had been kissing his a#$ for ten years or more and bought him expensive gifts at Christmas.

Silenoz
November 8th, 2015, 12:00 PM
When the play happened I thought there was absolutely no way it wouldn't be called back. When they showed the replay (not the same as the one posted), I thought Nelson (?) actually did a phenomenal job of making it appear like he truly was trying to scoop it and up and bobbled it it in the process

Hammersmith
November 8th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Well, he picked it up off the ground. Even if you claim he didn't have possession, he intentionally batted a loose ball forward to a teammate. That is also a penalty and the play is dead right there. I got out of officiating because I was tired of dealing with all of the politics and working with screw ups who could do no wrong in the eyes of the head of officiating because they had been kissing his a#$ for ten years or more and bought him expensive gifts at Christmas.

Then you also know that touching and batting are two different things, that the ball advancing by touching is not illegal, and that if the ball contact is questionable, then it's regarded as touching. From the angle in the video, I see the contact as very questionable. I can't see how you can call the contact as definitely intentional. I can't see a single frame of this video where his hands actually touch the ball. It looks like all forearms and body. In fact, from this angle, you can make a case that it was actually the ISU player that punched the ball into the air while trying to get it away from the Montana player.

Don't know if that's what actually happened(if anyone has links to other camera angles, I'd love to see them), but that seems to fall into the textbook definition of 'questionable'.

edit: I'm not saying that you can't bat with body parts other than hands, just saying how little video evidence there is on this angle to prove intent.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 8th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Then you also know that touching and batting are two different things, that the ball advancing by touching is not illegal, and that if the ball contact is questionable, then it's regarded as touching. From the angle in the video, I see the contact as very questionable. I can't see how you can call the contact as definitely intentional. I can't see a single frame of this video where his hands actually touch the ball. It looks like all forearms and body. In fact, from this angle, you can make a case that it was actually the ISU player that punched the ball into the air while trying to get it away from the Montana player.

Don't know if that's what actually happened(if anyone has links to other camera angles, I'd love to see them), but that seems to fall into the textbook definition of 'questionable'.

edit: I'm not saying that you can't bat with body parts other than hands, just saying how little video evidence there is on this angle to prove intent.

When it happened I thought it was the ISU player hitting it up trying to knock it from the Griz player as well and he was just trying to gain some piece of it that he didn't have. I still can't tell if it is one way or the other.

veinup
November 8th, 2015, 01:37 PM
fwiw i think the play was called/reviewed correctly.

what a **** game though ... guess the ending was fitting

Missingnumber7
November 8th, 2015, 10:07 PM

So you are saying you've never officiated anything ever...thank you for confirming.

They cannot add the penalty for Illegal Forward pass from the replay.

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2015, 10:08 PM
I think there was a glitch in the matrix and the ball went through him.

Catsfan90
November 9th, 2015, 01:55 AM

They must have been using Nintendo 64 graphics for the game.

Twentysix
November 9th, 2015, 02:24 AM

I think that is theoretically possible, just highly unlikely ;)