PDA

View Full Version : Umass win/ Montana loss???

AppGuy04
December 9th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Did UMass win this game or did Montana and Swogger trying to be Mike Vick lose it?

Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: this is just an opinion question, no smack intended and not trying to take anything away from a great win by Umass

Tribe4SF
December 9th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Maybe a little of both, but I thought UMass was clearly the better football team. The penalties, and a couple of Coen mistakes were a big hurdle for UMass to get over, but they did. Winning at Wash/Griz is a huge achievement, and UMass will go into Chatty brimming with confidence.

89Hen
December 9th, 2006, 08:36 AM
UMass won. 460 yards of offense including running the clock out with a dominating running attack in the fourth quarter. They won the yardage, clock and penalty yards by a TON. UMass most certainly won it.

Umass74
December 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Before the game I didn't think Montana could run on us. Remember we held the Navy spread option to a two year low.

However, I did not know how much we could move the ball against the Grizz defense, which had been playing great.

I was expecting a 10-3 game----you pick who had the ten and the three.

I was surprised how well we moved the ball. Noise from the crowd accounted for some of the penalties and Liam threw two INTs.

For the third straight week UMass shut out the opposition in the second half. Defense and Baylark's 245 combined yards won it for us .:twocents:

KAUMASS
December 9th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Swogger was out of rythm in the second half, which was caused by UMass pressure and the cold. He was off mark alot, but so was Coen. I think the conditions(cold) had some effect on both. The Umass defense and punter won the game in the second half. Montana could not run in the second half. They did a good job running in the first half, setting up better pass plays. They could not run in the second half, which made them go to the air more, which played right into UMass's favor. I don't think Swogger lost it, as both QB's had misques. I thought the turning point of the game was the viscous hit on a punt return by Ihedigbo deep in Griz territory. The defense stepped up a notch after that hit. UMass's offense, as usual, plays hard and does enough to win with a few misques.
Great game to watch..App. ST /YSU should be fun to watch this afternoon..

ChickenMan
December 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Anyone who saw the game... has to admit that UMass was much the better offensive team... only turnovers and penalties keep the Griz within striking distance.

griz37
December 9th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I will be the 1st Griz fan to say it. Umass won the game. Swogger had some mistakes which cost us, but we just couldn't stop the Minuteman offense. Even when the Griz defense held the Minutemen special teams buried us w/in our 20, mostly the 10. They also controlled the clock in the 4th quarter. It was all Umass.

Cleets
December 9th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Anyone who saw the game... has to admit that UMass was much the better offensive team... only turnovers and penalties keep the Griz within striking distance.

Agreed!

But that interception for a TD was forced by defensive line play, so you kinda gotta give that a nod... but Umass ran at will, and has a good defense...

Coen was weak, he looked average at best, if the game had to put into his hands Umass would have lost, Swogger didn't look like a senior QB either...

Arkee Whitlock is about half the running back that Baylark is, according to my Tivo...

Gil Dobie
December 9th, 2006, 09:24 AM
UMass won the game, and was the better team last night.

PantherRob82
December 9th, 2006, 09:28 AM
UMass won, but if Swogger didn't suck it up they win.

When the DB comes up and WR goes deep, do you:

A: Throw it 5 yards short to the DB

or

B: Throw it long to the WR and win the game

?

Unfortunately Swogger thought the answer was A. Horrible throw. Made me want to kill someone.

Congrats to UMass. Go Penguins.

griz37
December 9th, 2006, 09:31 AM
UMass won, but if Swogger didn't suck it up they win.

When the DB comes up and WR goes deep, do you:

A: Throw it 5 yards short to the DB

or

B: Throw it long to the WR and win the game

?

Unfortunately Swogger thought the answer was A. Horrible throw. Made me want to kill someone.

Congrats to UMass. Go Penguins.

I haven't watched the tape & probably won't, but from behind that last play it looked like our WR #8 Rob Schulte had his man beat & if the ball had been thrown farther downfield it would have at least been a huge gain, maybe a TD? Is that what it looked like on TV?

Uncle Buck
December 9th, 2006, 09:33 AM
UMass definitely won. Both teams made mistakes on offense so it's a push, UMass made plays when it had to and dominated in the running game. I will say this, what a great atmosphere for a playoff game. Wash-Griz stadium looked great on ESPN and the fans were so loud on the first UMass drive, you would have thought 80K fans were there. Kudos to everyone who braved the cold and made this a great showing for FCS Football.

Uncle Buck
December 9th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I haven't watched the tape & probably won't, but from behind that last play it looked like our WR #8 Rob Schulte had his man beat & if the ball had been thrown farther downfield it would have at least been a huge gain, maybe a TD? Is that what it looked like on TV?

Definitely looked as if a deep ball would have been caught for a big gainer. They did comment however that throwing on the move and getting that ball their would have been a tough throw. It looked more like he didn't know if he wanted to go long or short, went in the middle and got picked.

AZGrizFan
December 9th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Did UMass win this game or did Montana and Swogger trying to be Mike Vick lose it?

Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: this is just an opinion question, no smack intended and not trying to take anything away from a great win by Umass

As much as it pains me to say it, UMass was the better football team out there last night. As I sit here this morning, nursing a pounding headache and unable to talk from screaming at the TV, it's obvious that the balanced attack they brought to the table made it a difficult task for the Griz D.

UMass dominated the clock (39:14 TOP) and ran 24 more plays than the Griz. The Griz played an almost flawless offensive game---only one penalty, and only one sack. And still they had difficulty moving the ball. Take away the defensive touchdown, and the game score more accurately reflects the TOP and total yards disparity.

Baylark is a horse, and he'll probably be playing at the next level. The advantage he had over Whitlock, however, is that the threat of the pass made the Griz unable to key in on him....especially pass plays. The Griz effectively shut down Brandon London, but the result of that was Baylark and a few others were left open...Coen was cool under pressure, and the noise (again, as much as it pains me to say it) didn't seem to affect the UMass offense as bad as other teams that have come into Wa-Griz. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Bottom line is this: The Griz had a great season, and UMass is going to give the winner of App/YSU one HELL of a football game.

PantherRob82
December 9th, 2006, 10:25 AM
It is not hard to throw like that on the move for a Division I QB. I've seen so many guys make that throw over the years. It was an easy TD and he blew it.

Mr. C
December 9th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Agreed!

But that interception for a TD was forced by defensive line play, so you kinda gotta give that a nod... but Umass ran at will, and has a good defense...

Coen was weak, he looked average at best, if the game had to put into his hands Umass would have lost, Swogger didn't look like a senior QB either...

Arkee Whitlock is about half the running back that Baylark is, according to my Tivo...
Can we quit with the smacking of Arkee Whitlock? Whitlock played on a team that doesn't possess anywhere near the talent that UMass has. The Minutemen have a much better line, a quarterback who leads the NCAA in passing efficiency and very good receivers across the board. SIU's QB is very mediocre when compared to Coen. When you play UMass, you have to prepare for a total package, including the talented Baylark. When you prepare for SIU, you have to prepare for Whitlock and not much else.

JohnStOnge
December 9th, 2006, 10:37 AM
UMass won and Montana was fortunate that the score was as close as it was. UMass looks like the most complete "FCS/I-AA" team I've seen this year to me.

Mr. C
December 9th, 2006, 10:39 AM
It would have been a big gain, but the safety was in position to make a play after the catch.

PapaBear
December 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM

To me, it looked like Swogger was uncertain about who he wanted to throw to.

If memory serves, it was a two-tier play, with a short route and a deep route. As Swogger rolled right, he seemed to think the DB covering the short route (probably a CB) was going to come up in run support, which would leave the short route open. He looked like he cocked to throw that route, and then when the play didn't unfold the way he thought it might, he tried to adjust and make a long throw without resetting. Result: His mechanics tightened and he underthrew the long route for the pick.

Don't mean to sound Monday Morning Quarterback-y. But I did watch the play pretty closely and that's what it looked like to me.

Overall, a terrific football game and great effort by both teams. I sure hope UMaine gets to play at Wa-Griz sometime before my kid is done, because the fans and setting look absolutely first class.

Cleets
December 9th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Can we quit with the smacking of Arkee Whitlock? Whitlock played on a team that doesn't possess anywhere near the talent that UMass has. The Minutemen have a much better line, a quarterback who leads the NCAA in passing efficiency and very good receivers across the board. SIU's QB is very mediocre when compared to Coen. When you play UMass, you have to prepare for a total package, including the talented Baylark. When you prepare for SIU, you have to prepare for Whitlock and not much else.

no smack!
If I'm drafting a running back, do I want a speedster who can make you miss but can't break a tackle... (according to my Tivo) When Arkee got hit, he went down...I don't see Whitlock making it at the next level (seriously) this is not smack, this is forum chat...

But Baylark is a tackle breaker who has one good quick move (seems to me he cuts back well) and then runs down hill baby... (My Tivo does not lie)

LEHIGH61
December 9th, 2006, 11:44 AM
If somehow Montana had won it because of the home field advantage it would have been a shame. Look at the stats. Way to go UMass!

Sam Adams
December 9th, 2006, 11:46 AM
The UMass Defense shut Swogger down and forced him into stupid decisions. UMass has done that to QBs all season. The UMass Offensive Line dominated Montana's D. Just look at the time of possession stats for the second half: UMASS 20:47; UMONT: 9:13. That is a dominant performance by UMASS - that is not UMONT "beating themselves"

claydus
December 9th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Thankfully I didn't bet on this game. The spread was -3 Montana the line was -150. I wanted to bet on UMass.... but it was way to close of a game.

YoUDeeMan
December 9th, 2006, 11:52 AM
A few quotes from the Missoula paper:

From the reporter: "The fact that UMass, 13-1, managed just a safety and a field goal after halftime doesn't deny the fact the Minutemen dominated play.

The visitors rolled up 460 yards of offense, the most by a Montana opponent this season, and allowed the Grizzlies just 67 yards and three first downs the second half. Massachusetts ran 78 offensive plays and held the ball for 39 minutes and change."

From the Montnana coach: “They did a real good job of keeping the ball,” said Bobby Hauck, the Grizzlies' fourth-year head coach. “Even though they scored only five points the second half, they controlled the game.”

“It's a shame to have a safety decide it,” said Hauck. “But the fact of the matter is had we gotten to overtime and won, or had we been able to execute our clock drive at the end of the game, it would've been an escape act and nothing more than that. They controlled the game.”

As far as the noise impact:

On the sidelines, UMass cheerleading coach Kelly Proctor said her squad was ready for the Montana conditions.

“We've been in louder places,” Proctor said as her teammates rallied about 200 Minuteman fans in the northwest corner of the field. “Kansas State was definitely worse than this. They threw live frogs at us.”

Classy coach. :thumbsup: He knew, and he said, the score didn't reflect how much better UMass was.

The Griz have nothing to be ashamed of. They lost to a great team. The entire Griz community put on a great show. I'm going to have to get myself to a Griz game sometime. It seems they throw a great party! :hurray:

Reporter's comments: "Wier [a Montana fan] was making choices among two kinds of chili, elk ribs and pork ribs, all bubbling on various propane burners outside the Brady family tailgate party. He said a few minutes earlier, he'd shared a beer with a UMass fan who told him the Easterners' gathering had already run out of soda.

Mike Davis of Turah came wrapped in a 6-foot blond bear pelt. He took it off a 250-pound black bear he shot six years ago, just in time to replace a previous pelt that had become a “hair-bare bear.”

“This one's probably worth about $2,000,” Davis said. “But it's not worth a dime if I can't sit on it at a Griz game. It's better than any seat cushion.”

Way to go Griz. And way to go UMass! :nod: :nod: :nod:

UMass922
December 9th, 2006, 11:54 AM
It would have been a big gain, but the safety was in position to make a play after the catch.

Yeah, that's what it looked to me, too. Wouldn't have been a TD, but considering Montana only needed a field goal, it obviously would have been huge.

griz37
December 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM
A few quotes from the Missoula paper:

From the reporter: "The fact that UMass, 13-1, managed just a safety and a field goal after halftime doesn't deny the fact the Minutemen dominated play.

The visitors rolled up 460 yards of offense, the most by a Montana opponent this season, and allowed the Grizzlies just 67 yards and three first downs the second half. Massachusetts ran 78 offensive plays and held the ball for 39 minutes and change."

From the Montnana coach: “They did a real good job of keeping the ball,” said Bobby Hauck, the Grizzlies' fourth-year head coach. “Even though they scored only five points the second half, they controlled the game.”

“It's a shame to have a safety decide it,” said Hauck. “But the fact of the matter is had we gotten to overtime and won, or had we been able to execute our clock drive at the end of the game, it would've been an escape act and nothing more than that. They controlled the game.”

As far as the noise impact:

On the sidelines, UMass cheerleading coach Kelly Proctor said her squad was ready for the Montana conditions.

“We've been in louder places,” Proctor said as her teammates rallied about 200 Minuteman fans in the northwest corner of the field. “Kansas State was definitely worse than this. They threw live frogs at us.”

Classy coach. :thumbsup: He knew, and he said, the score didn't reflect how much better UMass was.

The Griz have nothing to be ashamed of. They lost to a great team. The entire Griz community put on a great show. I'm going to have to get myself to a Griz game sometime. It seems they throw a great party! :hurray:

Reporter's comments: "Wier [a Montana fan] was making choices among two kinds of chili, elk ribs and pork ribs, all bubbling on various propane burners outside the Brady family tailgate party. He said a few minutes earlier, he'd shared a beer with a UMass fan who told him the Easterners' gathering had already run out of soda.

Mike Davis of Turah came wrapped in a 6-foot blond bear pelt. He took it off a 250-pound black bear he shot six years ago, just in time to replace a previous pelt that had become a “hair-bare bear.”

“This one's probably worth about $2,000,” Davis said. “But it's not worth a dime if I can't sit on it at a Griz game. It's better than any seat cushion.”

Way to go Griz. And way to go UMass! :nod: :nod: :nod:

I guess the Griz fans will have get some frogs to throw at the cheerleaders next time. :rolleyes:

BrevardMountaineer03
December 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM
IMO, the UMass pass rush/Montana lack of protection is what led to Montana's troubles...We have all noted the number of sacks Montana has given up, I don't think Montana beat themselves, but they helped out by not protecting Swogger (who looked off target most of the night, from what I saw.)

MinuteFan
December 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I'm sitting in my Missoula hotel lobby nursing my own headache, but it was worth every bit of the 2000 mile flight from Boston. Other than players' parents and school officials, I may be one of a handful who made the trip, but going to a game at Wash-Griz is an amazing experience.
As far as the game goes, UMass definitely won it much more than Montana lost it. I knew this would be a toss-up type game, but what surprised me was how well UMass ran the ball. Big Kudos to the offensive line, fullback and tight ends as well as the great Mr. Baylark. Twelve penalties on UMass, one on the Griz, but most of the calls on UMass were from crowd noise and not undisciplined play. Montana is now 133-19 in that stadium, and the big mystery to me is how they ever lost 19 games.
I have been here since Thursday night and the folks here are hands-down the best people anywhere. I have worn my UMass gear around town and have had trouble going into my wallet to pay for anything. They have given me rides, taken me to tailgates, fed me....unbelievable hospitality. It was easy to be nice to me before the game, but I wondered how would they treat me if UMass won? (I don't think many Griz fans had any idea they could lose). Well, they passed that test with flying colors. After the game, people still were lining up to fill my glass, shook my hand, and told me the better team had won that night. These folks REALLY know their football. Congratulations, Griz fans, you are amazing. Thanks for an unforgettable weekend.

YoUDeeMan
December 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM
no smack!
If I'm drafting a running back, do I want a speedster who can make you miss but can't break a tackle... (according to my Tivo) When Arkee got hit, he went down...I don't see Whitlock making it at the next level (seriously) this is not smack, this is forum chat...

But Baylark is a tackle breaker who has one good quick move (seems to me he cuts back well) and then runs down hill baby... (My Tivo does not lie)

Seems as though the Montana press and the Montana defensive players think the same way. Remember, they got to see both players on consecutive weeks.

From the Missoula paper: Somehow, some way, Massachusetts running back Steve Baylark wasn't voted as a finalist for the Walter Payton Award, given annually to Division I-AA's top football player. Can we get a recount?

“He's a heck of a player,” said UM defensive end Dustin Dlouhy. “He'll go on to do some big things I think. He's even better than he looks on film.

“We just couldn't stop him on first down. He did a great job. He was always finding a way to fall forward, make one guy miss. It was enough to eat that clock up, and get us out of our game plan. It's tough when you know you've got second and two every time.”

Other quotes from the Montana players in other interviews referenced that Baylark wouldn't go down when he was hit.

mistersykes
December 9th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I'm sitting in my Missoula hotel lobby nursing my own headache, but it was worth every bit of the 2000 mile flight from Boston. Other than players' parents and school officials, I may be one of a handful who made the trip, but going to a game at Wash-Griz is an amazing experience.
As far as the game goes, UMass definitely won it much more than Montana lost it. I knew this would be a toss-up type game, but what surprised me was how well UMass ran the ball. Big Kudos to the offensive line, fullback and tight ends as well as the great Mr. Baylark. Twelve penalties on UMass, one on the Griz, but most of the calls on UMass were from crowd noise and not undisciplined play. Montana is now 133-19 in that stadium, and the big mystery to me is how they ever lost 19 games.
I have been here since Thursday night and the folks here are hands-down the best people anywhere. I have worn my UMass gear around town and have had trouble going into my wallet to pay for anything. They have given me rides, taken me to tailgates, fed me....unbelievable hospitality. It was easy to be nice to me before the game, but I wondered how would they treat me if UMass won? (I don't think many Griz fans had any idea they could lose). Well, they passed that test with flying colors. After the game, people still were lining up to fill my glass, shook my hand, and told me the better team had won that night. These folks REALLY know their football. Congratulations, Griz fans, you are amazing. Thanks for an unforgettable weekend.

Glad you had a great experience. It makes me want to go visit Missoula!

blukeys
December 9th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Agreed!

We need to wait and see on that. Don't assume that the O-line of SIU is anywhere near the quality of UMass. The SIU O-Lines I saw in person in 03 and '04 (at DelState) were fat and slow. In white uniforms they look like the Sta-Puf Marshmallow guy in the movie Ghostbusters. UMass' O-line is very mature, athletic and physical. I thought they were the best O-line I saw in person in '05.

SIU gets a talented back in a very traditional offensive set and then runs right at the other team. If you don't have the physically able players on defense they can make for a long day. The better teams i.e. playoff teams have the defensive muscle to stop the "smashmouth" game of SIU. In addition they can stack up to stop the run as SIU does not have a quality passing game. I have yet to see a SIU qb who would start on an A-10 team.

December 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM
... Arkee Whitlock is about half the running back that Baylark is...xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx how many times have you seen each play on your tivo?

Cleets
December 9th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Seems as though the Montana press and the Montana defensive players think the same way. Remember, they got to see both players on consecutive weeks.

From the Missoula paper: Somehow, some way, Massachusetts running back Steve Baylark wasn't voted as a finalist for the Walter Payton Award, given annually to Division I-AA's top football player. Can we get a recount?

“He's a heck of a player,” said UM defensive end Dustin Dlouhy. “He'll go on to do some big things I think. He's even better than he looks on film.

“We just couldn't stop him on first down. He did a great job. He was always finding a way to fall forward, make one guy miss. It was enough to eat that clock up, and get us out of our game plan. It's tough when you know you've got second and two every time.”

Other quotes from the Montana players in other interviews referenced that Baylark wouldn't go down when he was hit.

Yeah!
I watched the last three Montana games and have them all on Tivo, and I've Watched the last three Umass games and Tivo...

The guy is a tackle breaker, and Montana is a very good tackling team, ask Arkee, when he got hit, he went down... But not Baylark, he'd just keep plowing (what a monster)

I'm getting a lot of crap for my comments but I have all the evidence recorded...

Sam Adams
December 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Ralph I honestly have no idea what your point is except that your a Gateway guy who lets that cloud his opinions. Arkee got abused by the Griz, whereas Baylark ran right over, through and around the Griz and just repeatedly gashed the Griz D - did you watch the game Ralph?

The fact that Steve Baylark was not even on the Walter Payton list and is not now a finalist is a comeplete joke. Please let me know the last time a RB who has over 1000 each and every one of his 4 seasons has then pinned 245 total yds and 2 TDs on the highly rated Griz D at WA GRiz.....I'll take a wild guess and say THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

Certainly Mr. Whitlock didn't do that nor has anybody else. Steve Baylark should not just be a Payton Finalist - they should be fedexing the award to him this afternoon. Seriously now - How in the heck is Steve Baylark not a Payton Finalist????

DuckDuckGriz
December 9th, 2006, 01:05 PM
It was a little bit of both.

Incase anyone has watched this Grizzly offense -- the key reason why they have been so frustrating at times is this: field position.

Unless they've been at or around mid-field most of the season they've done fine, but get them inside their own 10 and it's tough to move the ball. All of the games where the Griz had a big win they won the field position battle. All of the games they almost lost they were starting drives inside the 10 (Portland State, Weber State, Montana State, etc)

UMass' punter IMO was last night's co-MVP.

carney2
December 9th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Your thoughts?

1st Downs: UMass 23, Griz 12

Rush Yds.: UMass 226, Griz 83

Pass Yds.: UMass 237, Griz 167

Total Yds.: UMass 460, Griz 250

Penalties-Yds.: UMass 12-85, Griz 1-8

Time of Possession: UMass 37:14, Griz 20:46

Despite the meager margin of victory, it was a good old fashioned ass kicking - and in their house; and in their weather.

And the favorite in Chatty is...

DuckDuckGriz
December 9th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Despite the meager margin of victory, it was a good old fashioned ass kicking - and in their house; and in their weather.

:confused:
It's 3 degrees warmer in Amherst today than it is in Missoula.
It will be about 10 degrees warmer in Missoula tonight.

carney2
December 9th, 2006, 01:21 PM
:confused:
It's 3 degrees warmer in Amherst today than it is in Missoula.
It will be about 10 degrees warmer in Missoula tonight.

Be that as it may, aint nobody but those northern tier teams ready to go in 15 degree weather. Hell, they have a good shot at playing in those conditions from Labor Day on.

DuckDuckGriz
December 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Be that as it may, aint nobody but those northern tier teams ready to go in 15 degree weather. Hell, they have a good shot at playing in those conditions from Labor Day on.

Not really. Montana practices in the day like most teams.

IMO as far as cold weather once you get below about 25 or 20 it all feels the same.

I would definetly consider UMass a "northern tier" team.....

December 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Ralph I honestly have no idea what your point is except that your a Gateway guy who lets that cloud his opinions... did you watch the game Ralph?...Now I know this is warranted:

:homer:

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 06:16 PM
UMass won it but i wouldnt say an "ass kicking" what App is doing to YSU is an ass kicking

GRZZ
December 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM
UMASS was indeed the better team and all the stats showed it. They won because they were the better team. That being said, one less Montana mistake and the the second best team on the field yesterday would have pulled it out. But then you get into would have should have...UMASS was the better team. They won it.

Grizo406
December 9th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Glad you had a good time, MinuteFan! Your kind of class will always be welcomed here.

Good luck, and best wished in Chattanooga!

blackfordpu
December 9th, 2006, 08:08 PM
UMass won, they just flat out beat Montana in a great game.

putter
December 9th, 2006, 09:53 PM
UMass won it, no doubt. But our defense was on the field 2/3 of the game and we still had a chance. Personally my MVP of the game is the UMass coaching staff. Their preparation really showed against what the Griz staff did. The Griz stopped the run all year, except Friday when they had to worry about Baylark running so what did UMass do? They threw a couple of swing passes for big yards and then the Griz adjusted and they ran it right at Montana. Coaching staff gets the game ball in my book!

Frosty The Snowbuff
December 9th, 2006, 10:18 PM

I saw that play....

WR had DB beat but underthrew the pass....As a result....Int. But I believed he was rolling out away from the pressure and didn't reset. I just wished I could have seen what Montana may have done with Hilliard in the backfield.

Frosty The Snowbuff
December 9th, 2006, 10:20 PM
To me, it looked like Swogger was uncertain about who he wanted to throw to.

If memory serves, it was a two-tier play, with a short route and a deep route. As Swogger rolled right, he seemed to think the DB covering the short route (probably a CB) was going to come up in run support, which would leave the short route open. He looked like he cocked to throw that route, and then when the play didn't unfold the way he thought it might, he tried to adjust and make a long throw without resetting. Result: His mechanics tightened and he underthrew the long route for the pick.

Don't mean to sound Monday Morning Quarterback-y. But I did watch the play pretty closely and that's what it looked like to me.

Overall, a terrific football game and great effort by both teams. I sure hope UMaine gets to play at Wa-Griz sometime before my kid is done, because the fans and setting look absolutely first class.

^^^^^^^

Exactly as he said...

UNH 40
December 9th, 2006, 10:28 PM
UMass is a far superior team, from what I saw on Friday night. Uncharacteristic mistakes by Coen allowed for Montana to stay in the game. It seemed as though Coen for some reason was not confident at all when he was passing the ball, he was really floating them in there, and not really stepping into his throws like he did against UNH. Great win for UMass in a tough place to steal one. Congrats on a huge win.

AZGrizFan
December 10th, 2006, 12:49 AM

Well, then UMass better hope like hell that they turn that ass-kicking into more than 19 points in Chatty.

Grizlander
December 10th, 2006, 01:40 AM
The Griz blow the chance to win with a field goal, so UMMASS wins by 2 points, and that's an "ass kicking". Wow! I guess I will take that as a complement. What would you call what App State did to Youngstown?

Most UMASS fans I talked to after the game said they were worried the Griz would pull out the field goal in the last seconds. Did not hear any indication that it was an ass kicking, but maybe they were just being polite.

As far as the UMASS defense getting Swogger out of his game, I would not get to excited about that. What everyone watched, was the same thing Griz fans have seen all year. I have not talked to one Griz fan surprised by Swoggers play. That’s why the whole big deal with the Boo birds this year, and many people chanting for Berquist. No smack intended in any of this, but what App is bringing to Chatty makes the Griz offence look like a small town high school. UMASS better be ready to put some points up to keep up with App or it will be ugly.

Good luck to both teams in Chatty. I’m hoping for a close game till the end.

Grizlander

Rabbit3467
December 10th, 2006, 01:58 AM
A game won by that few points is does not an ass kickin make. It does make a great game that was controlled by UMASS. TOP showed that UMASS, for the most part, controlled the game. From the UM fans that I talked to (that were at the game) the better team won. Umass controlled the game, but UM still had a chance to win. Definitely not an ass kickin, but an instant classic. Good luck to Umass against App, great year by the Griz. ( Now please dont buy out of your contract with SDSU and go to Coughlin next year).

Griz0383
December 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Umass was great and I have much respect for them!!! They assisted the Griz in playing badly and with Swogger struggling with his accuracy it was a sad day for the Griz and fans! But if anyone would have told me the Griz would have been 12-1 with a chance at the national chamionship without Lex Hilard I would have laughed. Next Year we return almost everyone and we will Have 4 amazing running backs and a veteran offensive line with the addition of the Oklahoma transfere and all the recievers back and i see a championship! Go Umass and kick the crap out of AP state! I hope the Umass fans in missoula enjoyed themselves!