PDA

View Full Version : Candidates for Coach of the year

Casey_Orourke
November 6th, 2015, 07:20 AM
The STATS Senior FCS Editor Lists his possible candidates for Coach of the Year listed in alphabetical order.

Bruce Barnum (Portland State)

Jamey Chadwell (Charleston Southern)

Rick Chamberlin (Dayton)

Mike Houston (The Citadel)

Tim Murphy (Harvard)

Danny Rocco (Richmond)

Matt Viator (McNeese State)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/accolades-roll-remarkable-coaches-235953146--ncaaf.html

Any one of these guys would be an excellent choice, but the Homer in me is going to be disappointed if Coach Barnum isn't the winner

chattownmocs
November 6th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Barnum, chadwell or Houston.

The rest of the season will determine it.

ST_Lawson
November 6th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Any one of these guys would be an excellent choice, but the Homer in me is going to be disappointed if Coach Barnum isn't the winner

Before I even opened the thread and saw the names, my first thought was "the coach at Portland State". There's obviously a case to be made for each of them, but he was the first one that jumped to mind for me.

Catsfan90
November 6th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Before I even opened the thread and saw the names, my first thought was "the coach at Portland State". There's obviously a case to be made for each of them, but he was the first one that jumped to mind for me.
I agree. If the voting were today I'd hope he would win it.

Fordham
November 6th, 2015, 08:12 AM
I know there is no way he'll be seconded but I actually think this is Fordham Coach Moorhead's best performance. It would have been better if someone had the courtesy to start this thread prior to our loss this past week :D but I still think that for us to be 7 - 2 with only 3 starters returning on both sides of the ball and the majority of those players taking their first collegiate snaps is a remarkable job by him and his staff.

[/homerplug]

btw, all listed are worthy. I think Barnum, Houston, Chadwell and possibly Rocco are at the top. Again, though, all very good except 'screw the Ivies' (my opinion only).

McNeese75
November 6th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Matt Viator and his staff had done a great job this year but I have to agree Barnum is who stands out to me.

BisonFan02
November 6th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Barnum in a landslide....

eiu1999
November 6th, 2015, 08:40 AM

No doubt.

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2015, 09:21 AM
I vote for Barnum.

centennial
November 6th, 2015, 09:23 AM
With close to 20 FBS coaching vacancies, if he wants to be a OC at PAC 12 he will get it.

Mayville Bison
November 6th, 2015, 09:52 AM
The STATS Senior FCS Editor Lists his possible candidates for Coach of the Year listed in alphabetical order.

Bruce Barnum (Portland State)

/Endthread

citdog
November 6th, 2015, 11:05 AM
You must remember that The Citadel is a military school and was picked in the preseason to finish next to last in the SoCon. Barnum and Houston have done the best jobs so far.

BisonFan02
November 6th, 2015, 11:13 AM
You must remember that The Citadel is a military school and was picked in the preseason to finish next to last in the SoCon. Barnum and Houston have done the best jobs so far.

Barnum coaches at a school where their entire football program is in constant turmoil...

tomq04
November 6th, 2015, 11:46 AM
1. Bruce Barnum (Portland State)
2. Bruce Barnum (Portland State)
3. Bruce Barnum (Portland State)
4. Bruce Barnum (Portland State)
5. Rick Chamberlin (Dayton), #flyhigh

citdog
November 6th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Barnum coaches at a school where their entire football program is in constant turmoil...

True but not in a 24 hour a day 7 day a week military environment that demands players be Cadet-Student-Athletes. I don't disagree with you but PSU has had self inflicted problems and has always had great talent.

Dane96
November 6th, 2015, 12:10 PM

This.

FormerPokeCenter
November 6th, 2015, 12:27 PM
How is K.C. Keeler not on this list?

clenz
November 6th, 2015, 12:57 PM
True but not in a 24 hour a day 7 day a week military environment that demands players be Cadet-Student-Athletes. I don't disagree with you but PSU has had self inflicted problems and has always had great talent.
Agreed, however, wasn't PSU's football program laying with it's head in a guillotine not long ago?

mvemjsunpx
November 6th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Kind of a double-edged sword for Barnum & Portland State. The Viks basically fired Nigel Burton, promoted Barnum, and changed little else. So is it that Barnum is really that good, or was Burton really that bad? xchinscratchx

laxVik
November 6th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Kind of a double-edged sword for Barnum & Portland State. The Viks basically fired Nigel Burton, promoted Barnum, and changed little else. So is it that Barnum is really that good, or was Burton really that bad? xchinscratchxI think both. I think Barnum is a good example of how a coach can immediately change a program at the college level. The team is the same from last year with the addition of Alex Kuresa at QB. Which obviously was a plus this year as well.

Mayville Bison
November 6th, 2015, 01:37 PM

Where do you draw that line though? The Citadel definitely expects more out of their student athletes than "regular" schools, but so does Harvard in a completely different way. When looking at who is coach of the year, you have to look at only football.

Your statement of them picked to finish next to last is very similar to PSU getting picked to finish 8th in the Big Sky. For PSU to be 7-1 and in control of their own destiny (similar to The Citadel) is a nice story. The difference to me is PSU was looking at cutting sports this time last year (I think they stopped at men's golf, but could be mistaken) and football was in that discussion. For a team to be in that kind of turmoil and show immediate improvement enough for the school to give the coach an extension speaks volumes of what he's done.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Georgetown's Rob Sgarlata should be nominated and should win, but he probably wont on either count.

Dane96
November 6th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Georgetown's Rob Sgarlata should be nominated and should win, but he probably wont on either count.

LOL. Thanks for the Friday humor.

Not to take anything away from the job done at the non-scholarship school but, blowout losses to the two best teams on its schedule PLUS a blowout loss to St. Francis, with a 4-5 record as the cherry, does not put a coach in the running for the coach of the year.

JALMOND
November 6th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Kind of a double-edged sword for Barnum & Portland State. The Viks basically fired Nigel Burton, promoted Barnum, and changed little else. So is it that Barnum is really that good, or was Burton really that bad? xchinscratchx

The big difference I've seen is that Barnum has PSU playing like a team. I know that sounds cliche, like everyone says that, but Barnum has the offense thinking it can't win without the defense, and the defense thinking it can't win without the offense. There is no "well I'm on offense so I don't really care about what the defense does" or vice versa. When the offense makes a great play, the defensive guys are the first ones congratulating them. When the defense come up with a big stop, the offensive people are out there congratulating them. And, more importantly, when someone makes a mistake, there is always someone on the other end of the ball telling them that its fine, they got their back. People say its the amount of time they spend together (bus trips, etc.), but I can't remember seeing this much camaraderie in any team in college football. Football is fun again at the Park Blocks, for the players, the coaches, and the fans. It's hard to imagine it is just Barnum but, you're right, not much else has changed team-wise.