PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire Plans to Improve Stadium

JMU Duke Dog
July 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM
By Al Pike of Foster's Online from Dover, New Hampshire:

The plan calls for artificial turf, lights, new west side stands for Cowell Stadium, a press box and an access road. It also calls for the renovation of an antiquated field house, including a strength and conditioning area, academic center, office suites and new locker rooms, among other amenities.

Of course, that's all on paper right now. Whether or not theory becomes reality in the near future depends on how much paper the University of New Hampshire can raise.

Thanks to a proposal last week by Sen. Lou D'Allesandro, D-Manchester — a UNH alum and former Wildcat football captain — the state has agreed to give the school $3 million toward the project. With one catch. UNH must raise $30 million in private donations by 2009.

"That's fabulous," Scarano said. "That's $3 million less that we have to raise. It's very much appreciated. I think it's a significant step because for the first time in a long time the state wants to help us with the athletic facilities at the university."

From the day he arrived, Scarano has talked about getting those deplorable facilities up to Division I speed. And this is an ambitious project to say the least that will give Quadrant 4 and that end of the campus a fresh look.

Presently, UNH is trying to identify potential benefactors. Ones with major money. A multitude of $100 gifts won't cut it. Despite a commitment from the state, Scarano does admit the sorely needed improvements might never occur if officials can't raise the necessary funds.

"It may not happen at all," he said, "but our motto is the sooner the better. We're working awfully hard to identify people to speak with who would want to support this."

The entire project is expected to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $33-$34 million, with actual construction estimated to take about 18 months.

Scarano said he expects to have more concrete financial figures by the end of August for the multi-purpose facility, which will be used for recreational purposes as well as intercollegiate.

"I don't want to be overly dramatic," Scarano said, "but it will be the first and maybe the only time in (UNH) athletics history where there's such a significant campaign undertaken, and hopefully we'll be successful."

Though renovating Cowell Stadium has been bandied about in recent years, the issue gained momentum after the football team made the NCAA tournament last season for the first time in 10 years.

In fact, school officials were so impressed with Montana's stadium — where the Wildcats' run ended in the national quarterfinals — they may incorporate certain details into their own design.

"We've been talking about (the project) for a couple of years anyway," Scarano said, "but clearly football's success took it to a different level of seriousness. We can't put all our eggs in one basket. Whether football's doing well or not it's a much-needed facility. It would be an enormous asset to the state. It's not about football and it's not about soccer. It's about having one of the best, if not the best, outdoor venue in the state."

Scarano indicated his optimism so far is well-founded in that school officials have had "some very constructive discussions with some very significant people."

He did say it's not a public campaign at the moment, nor will it become one until there is significant interest. And the AD thinks it's important to note that the state essentially appropriated the first $3 million, not the last.

"What the state did is very important," Scarano said, "because it shows the state is listening, they're interested and they want to be part of this. They understand the importance of it. A lot of times when we go to private benefactors, they say to us, 'what's the university going to do or what's the state going to do?' We need to have a good answer for that.

"And now we have an answer."

Ivytalk
July 5th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Why not just blow it up and start over? ;)

blukeys
July 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM
The plan calls for artificial turf, lights, new west side stands for Cowell Stadium

Why go thru all this trouble and and install artificial turf? Pro football is going the other way and putting natural turf in instead of the artificial variety.

WMTribe90
July 5th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Thirty million is a huge number. I hope they make it. I just wander if a smaller goal (money and plans) might have been more realistic. WM will start facility upgrades (football fieldhouse) within the next few months with a price tag of 12 million (private funds). Lights are also being added for $600,000 in a seperate project.

blur2005
July 5th, 2005, 12:49 PM
All I can say is it's about fricken time...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 5th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I'll take a stab with somewhat educated guesses at questions posed above.

NH is a very, very conservative state that will never be associated with frivilous spending. You'll notice that the state didn't exactly take the lead in providing the money. Doing more with less is a high expectation in the Granite State.

And it has taken a while to get some folks to understand the reality of the A-10. Years of using URI, UConn (I-AA version), UMass, BU (during their football years), Maine and Northeastern as the barometer for facilities doesn't really highlight the shortcomings. And IMHO being the 5th ranked team in last year's playoffs and not getting a home game stung some folks.

I too gasped at the price tag and also hope they have a less expensive Plan B on the shelf. But in reality, this is more than just a football project. There is a need for additional office space, function rooms, improved locker rooms, conference rooms, etc. I believe the plans include a multi-story expansion to the Field House at the East end of the existing home stands. I'll take a stab and say that really spiked the costs. A good sized, new grandstand on the West side along with new locker rooms and press box is the bare bones version IMHO.

I think Field Turf is the preferred surface because of geography as well as the desire for additional use beyond six football games. I'm guessing they're looking at the HS football and soccer playoffs as well as soccer and LAX matches. And if the goal is going to be home playoff games, then dealing with cold and snow is a reality that must be addressed. I've always been a natural surface purist myself, but I was very impressed by the surface at Rutgers and am willing to compromise. If a deep playoff run at Cowles were to ever happen, there is no doubt that significant snow will have fallen at some point during that timeframe.

As for blowing it up, I too wish that a start from scratch option was possible mainly because of the track that currently surrounds Mooradian Field. Not sure what the price tag on that would be, but I assume there is land available somewhere. Again, I'm guessing that all those additional offices and function/conference rooms attached to the Field House make renovation the priority.

As for "about time", during the past decade, football has fallen from its status as joint flagship sport at UNH (JMHO). Ice Hockey, with new facilities opened around 1995 and significant national success after that, has pushed football away from the spotlight and people's consciousness. The average UNH fan isn't real aware of the quality of facilities outside New England. Last year's games at Delaware, Rutgers, Georgia Southern and Montana made a significant impression IMO. There has also been severe negative impact from a tailgating ban and dropping of men's sports (baseball, LAX and wrestling) back in the 90's that have been slow to overcome. And refer back to the conservative comment, things just move a little slower in NH.

I know there are a couple of other UNH guys that lurk out here, maybe they’ll add their :twocents:. Hope I did this justice with a quick reply!

blukeys
July 5th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I think Field Turf is the preferred surface because of geography as well as the desire for additional use beyond six football games. ..........

The average UNH fan isn't real aware of the quality of facilities outside New England. Last year's games at Delaware, Rutgers, Georgia Southern and Montana made a significant impression IMO. There has also been severe negative impact from a tailgating ban

I actually figured out the artificial turf issue by myself earlier today when I recalled my own middle school geography and realized that grass becomes dormant in Delaware usually about the beginning of November and therefore must become dormant in NH a bit sooner.

I will never figure out why schools who say they want people to attend football games ban tailgating. Villanova does the same thing and of course a Nova grad has to marry a UD fan to learn that they have a football team. Banning tailgating is one of those brilliant ideas that encourages fans to do something else during football season other than going to football games.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 5th, 2005, 09:04 PM
The alcohol at tailgating ban didn't last very long, but there are still people these many years later who still think the ban is in place!

Actually, grass in New England will keep growing well into November when days get into the 50's. But it is the overnight frosts that wreak havoc and often don't thaw until high Noon. Eventually, we're talking frozen tundra syndrome.

charliej
July 5th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Thirty million is a huge number. I hope they make it. I just wander if a smaller goal (money and plans) might have been more realistic. WM will start facility upgrades (football fieldhouse) within the next few months with a price tag of 12 million (private funds). Lights are also being added for $600,000 in a seperate project.

I'm inclined to agree Tribe.Sounds like an awful ambitious plan.I would think smaller bites might have better success.

charliej
July 5th, 2005, 09:26 PM
I actually figured out the artificial turf issue by myself earlier today when I recalled my own middle school geography and realized that grass becomes dormant in Delaware usually about the beginning of November and therefore must become dormant in NH a bit sooner.

I will never figure out why schools who say they want people to attend football games ban tailgating. Villanova does the same thing and of course a Nova grad has to marry a UD fan to learn that they have a football team. Banning tailgating is one of those brilliant ideas that encourages fans to do something else during football season other than going to football games.

Tailgating isn't banned at Nova,although it's nothing like I see at other schools.I think the township is opposed to it more than the school.We usually tailgate on the north side of the stadium,but I see alot of visiting tailgaters in the parking lot across rt30.

mainejeff
July 5th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Here's hoping that UNH follows through with the $30 million plan. I'm sick of everyone thinking that commitment to I-AA football stops at Newark, DE.

Mr. C
July 5th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I had to snicker when I read that UNH was considering incorporating some design elements of Washington-Grizzly Stadium into the renovations of Cowell Stadium. Montana has one of the best stadiums in I-AA, while Cowell is easily the worst in I-AA that I have seen in person. I agree with the blow it up option, as does my frozen (from the 1994 playoffs at Cowell) computer.

Any thoughts on who has the worst stadium after Cowell?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 5th, 2005, 11:05 PM

Northeastern
Rhode Island
Delaware State (based on other's comments)
Most of the Mid-Majors, but you probably don't count them.

blukeys
July 6th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Tailgating isn't banned at Nova,although it's nothing like I see at other schools.I think the township is opposed to it more than the school.We usually tailgate on the north side of the stadium,but I see alot of visiting tailgaters in the parking lot across rt30.
Why do the Radnor pokice say it is not allowed. I admit no one gets arrested but I have been told that tailgating at Nova is illegal. Let's get this straight Charliej as this is an important issue to Hens' fans. Although I and many others will fill the jails of the Main Line as Martin Luther King Jr. did in Alabama, for the Constitutional right of tailgating. We must get this straight for ALL Football fans. No one should be a 2nd class tailgating citizen! ;) ;) :) :D

GannonFan
July 6th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Here's hoping that UNH follows through with the $30 million plan. I'm sick of everyone thinking that commitment to I-AA football stops at Newark, DE.

Maybe it's your sad obsession with all things Delaware football that makes you think so - seriously, how many times do people need to say that UNH and Maine are different from their NE brethren and actually care a bit about IAA football for you to drop that mighty chip that sits on your shoulder? Better be careful, another decade of hating like this and you could end up like...gasp....MassMan!

charliej
July 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Why do the Radnor pokice say it is not allowed. I admit no one gets arrested but I have been told that tailgating at Nova is illegal. Let's get this straight Charliej as this is an important issue to Hens' fans. Although I and many others will fill the jails of the Main Line as Martin Luther King Jr. did in Alabama, for the Constitutional right of tailgating. We must get this straight for ALL Football fans. No one should be a 2nd class tailgating citizen! ;) ;) :) :D

Hey,all I can say is set up & drink up.If anyone gives you a hard time,tell em I said it was OK. ;)

Seriously,I see many visiting teams fans tailgating in the parking lot across rt.30.Some set up tents and there are a couple of porta-johns over there too.Last year I got to the stadium late for the JMU game,(the one in the monsoon),I parked in that lot alongside some JMU tents...each with about 50 people huddled underneath.

Your comment about the radnor police may have something to it.They handle the traffic there on Gameday,you might get hassled if you get all tore up & try to cross 30.

Marcus Garvey
July 6th, 2005, 10:09 PM

I think Northeastern's is actually worse than Cowell. At least Cowell is on campus, has plenty of parking and there are facilities for the visiting team. Northeastern is in a residential neighborhood of Brookline, which is a seperate town from Boston. It's a couple of miles from campus, but in an urban enviroment such as Boston, it may as well be ten miles. The quickest mass transit from campus to the stadium is by bus. The subway requires you to back-track from campus to Arlington station if you want to transfer to the B line for free.

Oh, and the last time I was there, the visiting team was sitting on the ground behind the field house at halftime. Reminded me of middle-school football.

Dane96
July 7th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I think Northeastern's is actually worse than Cowell. At least Cowell is on campus, has plenty of parking and there are facilities for the visiting team. Northeastern is in a residential neighborhood of Brookline, which is a seperate town from Boston. It's a couple of miles from campus, but in an urban enviroment such as Boston, it may as well be ten miles. The quickest mass transit from campus to the stadium is by bus. The subway requires you to back-track from campus to Arlington station if you want to transfer to the B line for free.

Oh, and the last time I was there, the visiting team was sitting on the ground behind the field house at halftime. Reminded me of middle-school football.

What, have you been out of Boston that long?! Brookline is part of Boston, you make it sound like it is out in no man's land. Second, you dont takethe B line to the field, you take the C line. Third, you can take the D line as well. Fourth, you dont have to back track to Arlington to get to the stadium. I lived a baseball's throw away from the stadium for over two years.

The stadium DOES SUCK however.

Marcus Garvey
July 7th, 2005, 10:33 AM
What, have you been out of Boston that long?! Brookline is part of Boston, you make it sound like it is out in no man's land. Second, you dont takethe B line to the field, you take the C line. Third, you can take the D line as well. Fourth, you dont have to back track to Arlington to get to the stadium. I lived a baseball's throw away from the stadium for over two years.

The stadium DOES SUCK however.

I've been out about 5 years. You're right about the train. I realized my mistake, but was too lazy to change it. The D (Riverside) line is closer than the C (Cleveland Circle) line. See, I remember some things. And Brookline IS a seperate municipality. My point was that they play in another town. You might be thinking of Allston or Brighton, which are part of Boston, although Allston has it's own post office, so you can actually mail a letter to Allston, MA.

You DO have to backtrack to Arlington if you want to take the E train from N'eastern's campus and grab a D Train to Brookline. You could do it at Copley, but you can't transfer from Inbound to Outbound trains for free there.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Have to back up Marcus on this one, he's spot on about Brookline not being a part of the city of Boston and the subway/trolley ride from campus to Parsons requiring backtracking.

I know when the America East tournament was at Matthews Arena that I just used the Hynes Auditorium stop while inbound on the Green Line ("D" - Riverside) and walked down Mass. Ave to the Arena. It just seemed easier than that backtrack manuever. Especially when the conductor told me that I had to ride in one more stop than expected to Arlington in order to make a free transfer to the outbound "E" train. If you just look at a map, you'd transfer at Copley like Marcus said.

Riding the trolley in from Riverside to the Longwood stop then walking a few blocks to Parsons is a pretty unique method to attend a football game!

DFW HOYA
July 7th, 2005, 10:02 PM
For those who lament Parsons Field, I guess you never visited Kehoe Field at Georgetown, the only field that once doubled as a roof.

JMU2004
July 8th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Ralph...its about time you scheduled a trip to JMU. I think you will come away very impressed with the stadium, school, football, and certainly the nightlife!!!!

I'll put it this way, I live in South Florida, and I miss the JMU social scene big time!!! :mad: :confused: