PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-2

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2015, 10:58 PM
And down the stretch they come! November and a time when the top teams look to cement their positions for the playoffs, and the Big Sky has at least three teams with a great chance at making the playoffs. Maybe not the three that were thought of at the beginning of the season, but three teams nonetheless. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion and all are open for discussion. End of November are the playoffs so we are almost there.

1. Portland State (2)---Last week beat Montana at home 35-16, this week at Northern Colorado---The Vikings last four games were going to give everyone a read as it if they are for real. Well, not only did they do well, they won every contest. But the stretch run is tough as well.

2. Southern Utah (1)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 54-36, this week at Montana State---The Thunderbirds passed their first true test as a power last week, sort of as Cal Poly didn't have much to play for, but the Thunderbirds still looked impressive. They still have some tough games coming up.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week beat Weber State at home 14-13, this week Northern Arizona at home---Frankly, the Eagles are just winning, not looking overly impressive at it, but wins will get you in the playoffs. They'll take as many wins as they can as the season gets tougher.

4. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 63-21, this week at Eastern Washington---The Lumberjacks are peaking at the right time and put an end to any far hopes Northern Colorado might have had. Teams want to be playing their best at the end of the year and the Lumberjacks seem to be on their way.

5. Weber State (7)---Last week lost at Eastern Washington 14-13, this week UC-Davis at home---Just when the Wildcats are supposed to go away they come up and surprise. They didn't get the win last week but they looked really strong. Their final games, however, are not that strong.

6. Montana (4)---Last week lost at Portland State 35-16, this week at Idaho State---The Grizzlies lost a big one and it hurt them. They now need to win out to have any shot at receiving consideration for the playoffs. They have the schedule to at least look impressive if they do that.

7. North Dakota (10)---Last week beat Montana State at home 44-38, this week bye---Given up for dead, the Dakotans rose to the challenge and are trying to get back in the midst of the playoff talk. They got a good, favorable schedule for it, but this week they drew the short straw and will stay home.

8. Montana State (5)---Last week lost at North Dakota 44-38, this week Southern Utah at home---It just seems like the Bobcats offense has a better chance at scoring more points than their defense gives up when they play at home. They have a strong team coming to their place this weekend.

9. Cal Poly (8)---Last week lost at Southern Utah 54-36, this week Sacramento State at home---The Mustangs are just playing out the string and it showed, painfully, last week. Pride is not something they wanted to be doing at this point in the season, especially after the way it started so promising.

10. Northern Colorado (9)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 63-21, this week Portland State at home---The upstart Bears' very impressive season took a big hit last week that relegated them back to the bottom of the conference. But, they still can wreck some people's season, like this weekend.

11. Sacramento State (11)---Last week bye, this week at Cal Poly---The Hornets had last week off to rest up and prepare to end their season strong. They still have some heavyweights on the schedule so they could play spoiler if they want to.

12. Idaho State (12)---Last week bye, this week Montana at home---What could bring a down and out season back to life for the Bengals? Having two weeks to prepare for a reeling Montana team and getting the game at home. That would make some fans smile.

13. UC-Davis (13)---Last week bye, this week at Weber State---The Aggies dismal season had a restful period last weekend. Now back to the grindstone with a trip to Weber State. Pride may be good to play for to get ready for next year.

RECAP: 1-2 edging out front, 3 trying to keep up, 4 holding steady, 5-8 falling, 9-10 losing sight, 11-13 fading fast

mvemjsunpx
November 2nd, 2015, 11:11 PM
OMG, he ranked Portland State #1 finally! JINX, JINX, JINX, JINX! xsmiley_wix

NAU at #4 is too high. They've looked good the last two games because they were at home, but their road results have largely sucked to this point.

Nodak78
November 3rd, 2015, 08:41 AM
I think NAU and Weber are ranked to high. I have a good feeling after 2 more weeks UND will be in fourth place.

tomq04
November 3rd, 2015, 09:03 AM
I think EWU has 2 solid performances in them this year I'm expecting it to be Montana and PSU. Hoping they can survive NAU, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hopefully NAU is as bad on the road as Montana St.

Nodak78
November 3rd, 2015, 09:15 AM
So Far NAU has lost every conference game on the road(Stephen F Austin only road win). Will EWU be the first road win for the lumberheads

F'N Hawks
November 3rd, 2015, 09:47 AM
I think EWU has 2 solid performances in them this year I'm expecting it to be Montana and PSU. Hoping they can survive NAU, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hopefully NAU is as bad on the road as Montana St.

I will admit I haven't followed EWU closely at all other than scores. What are the issues this year vs. previous years? They have scored alot at times but then have struggled too and had to catch up quickly. Are they not as good this year, injuries...?

wapiti
November 3rd, 2015, 10:06 AM
and who is still in the playoff hunt.

1. Portland State ---Now have 6 Div 1 wins. with @NC, SU, and @EWU left. With two FBS wins PSU has put themselves inconsideration for the playoffs, one more win and they are in.

2. Southern Utah ---Have 5 Div 1 wins. @MSU, @PSU, NAU is still left to play. Two more wins will most likely get them in the playoffs. But that will not be easy with 2 of the 3 being road games.

3. Eastern Washington ---Has 6 Div 1 wins. NAU, @UM, PSU. EWU should get their next win, but the way they have been squeaking out wins makes me wonder a bit.

4. Northern Arizona ---Has 4 Div 1 wins. @EWU, Sac, @SUU. Needs to win out to earn 7 wins. With the EWU and SUU games on the road I do not see this happening.

5. Weber State ---Has 4 Div 1 wins and cannot get to 7. UCD, ISU. They have a good chance to earn 6 Div 1 wins, but still most likely out of the playoff picture.

6. Montana ---Has 4 Div 1 wins. @ISU, EWU, @MSU. Needs to win out to earn 7. If they do that I predict they will get a first round home game in the playoffs.

7. North Dakota ---Has 5 Div 1 wins. NC, @CP. Must win their last 2 games to earn 7. With the FBS win they will get consideration, if they win out.

8. Montana State ---Has 3 Div 1 wins. SU, @ISU, UM. MSU cannot get 7 wins this year and must win 2 of the last 3 to finish above .500

9. Cal Poly ---Has 2 Div 1 wins. Sac, @UCD, ND. After beating UM in their first game, CP has been a disappointment.

10. Northern Colorado ---Has 3 Div 1 wins. PSU, @ND, Abilene Christian. Can still make it to 6 if they win out.

11. Sacramento State ---Has 1 Div 1 win over ISU. @CP, @NAU, UCD. It has been a tough season for the Hornets.

12. Idaho State ---Has 1 Div 1 win over ND. UM, MSU, @WSU. After last years performance this season has been disappointing for the Bengals.

13. UC-Davis ---Has 1 Div 1 win over NAU. @WSU, CP, @SAC. Hopefully UCD can start building for next year with these remaining games.

tomq04
November 3rd, 2015, 12:31 PM
I have a feeling that MSU drops a bomb on SUU Saturday and brings them back to earth. I also suspect EWU finally plays another inspired game against NAU, but I am really dubious of that based on the last 2 weeks. PSU keeps rolling.

mvemjsunpx
November 3rd, 2015, 01:25 PM
I have a feeling that MSU drops a bomb on SUU Saturday and brings them back to earth. I also suspect EWU finally plays another inspired game against NAU, but I am really dubious of that based on the last 2 weeks. PSU keeps rolling.

You're forgetting that it's November. xcoffeex

Catbooster
November 4th, 2015, 10:16 AM
I think NAU and Weber are ranked to high. I have a good feeling after 2 more weeks UND will be in fourth place.
UND may be on an upswing, but don't read too much into their game against MSU. We have been giving opposing players career record days every week, especially on the road.

Catbooster
November 4th, 2015, 10:21 AM
You're forgetting that it's November. xcoffeex
I'm not too sure we can fade down the stretch this year. In order to regress, you have to have played well at some point.

kalm
November 4th, 2015, 10:50 AM
I will admit I haven't followed EWU closely at all other than scores. What are the issues this year vs. previous years? They have scored alot at times but then have struggled too and had to catch up quickly. Are they not as good this year, injuries...?

The o-line was very beat up for a stretch and still isn't completely healthy. That's really hurt the run game of late. We've also been down to 2 RB's due to injury with starter Jabari Wilson missing the last two games. It's so bad they converted CB Rashaad Wadood to RB. #3 WR Nick Sblendorio has been nicked up since UNI and he's a real threat.

Inconsistency and a lack of rhythm on offense. We go in spurts and then have way more three and outs than we've seen in years (at least that's how it seems). West is not on the same page at times with his receivers (including RB's) which is not surprise considering all of the different players who've had to fill in.

UNDBIZ
November 4th, 2015, 11:57 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000257242374/1db8ffb4372271d24f559b49b71c5ac2_normal.jpeg
Bill Paterson ✔ @SacBee_BillP (https://twitter.com/SacBee_BillP)

The NCAA has annonced that Sac State football has been placed on a one year probation for violations under former coach Marshall Sperbeck.
Retweeted by Tom Miller (https://twitter.com/tommillergf)

Anyone have any more info on this?

Catbooster
November 4th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Sperbeck? That would have a while ago.

MTfan4life
November 8th, 2015, 02:17 AM
OMG, he ranked Portland State #1 finally! JINX, JINX, JINX, JINX! xsmiley_wix

NAU at #4 is too high. They've looked good the last two games because they were at home, but their road results have largely sucked to this point.

JALMOND might never rank Portland State #1 again.