PDA

View Full Version : #1 Jacksonville State at Eastern Illinois

eiupantherfan94
November 1st, 2015, 10:53 PM
Both teams enter the game 5-0 in OVC play. As long as the Panthers don't shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly, I believe they have a good shot to pull off the upset at home.

Big_Fan
November 2nd, 2015, 01:34 AM
Both teams enter the game 5-0 in OVC play. As long as the Panthers don't shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly, I believe they have a good shot to pull off the upset at home.

...having watched both teams, and definitely with credit to my being a JSU homer... If JSU shows up, I think that EIU not shooting themselves in the foot is the only way EIU will keep this game within 35 or 40. If they gift JSU a turnover or 3, it will be a 40+ point JSU win. The JSU defense is nasty, and the offense is better than last year when they put their foot on the gas.

After our game, EKU dropped 10 spots in NCAA stats ranking for total defense, and 20 spots for total offense. Even after that huge drop, they are still ranked above EIU in both categories.

That said, if JSU doesn't show up, and EIU does, it could be a 2 TD win. This isn't a knock on EIU. JSU is just *that* strong at this point.

CockyGeek
November 2nd, 2015, 08:18 AM
EIU and JSU have both beat up terrible conference teams. If you saw what JSU did to EKU, EIU can't come up with enough of a game plan to stop us.

Sycamore62
November 2nd, 2015, 08:31 AM
I just dont think EIU can score enough points to win this game.

jsualumnus
November 2nd, 2015, 08:42 AM
The JSU defense I saw this week was the best I've ever seen at JSU... They reminded me of some of those NDSU defenses from the past few years. I don't think this game will be close, but I don't think it will be a shutout either... I give EIU 10 points to score on the JSU D... Good luck to EIU, and Go Cocks!

mamberso
November 2nd, 2015, 11:59 AM
...having watched both teams, and definitely with credit to my being a JSU homer... If JSU shows up, I think that EIU not shooting themselves in the foot is the only way EIU will keep this game within 35 or 40. If they gift JSU a turnover or 3, it will be a 40+ point JSU win. The JSU defense is nasty, and the offense is better than last year when they put their foot on the gas.

After our game, EKU dropped 10 spots in NCAA stats ranking for total defense, and 20 spots for total offense. Even after that huge drop, they are still ranked above EIU in both categories.

That said, if JSU doesn't show up, and EIU does, it could be a 2 TD win. This isn't a knock on EIU. JSU is just *that* strong at this point.

Nah, think it will be closer than you think. EIU has always been tough for JSU. When I think playing in Charleston, I think wind. That, with EIU's good pass defense will make it tough for JSU to put up a bunch of points. Don't think EIU can put up enough points to win, though.

eiu1999
November 2nd, 2015, 12:08 PM
EIU has been turnover heavy with interceptions and fumbles. I can't see them overcoming anything but a perfect game to pull this one out.

OSBF
November 2nd, 2015, 12:13 PM
Addison Bounds turned into a reliable inside receiver for EIU

Still don't understand why it took 6 games for them to work him into the offense as anything other than a blocker

eiu1999
November 2nd, 2015, 12:23 PM
The EIU running game is starting to get healthy, but getting the ball to a receiver, Whitlow with 9 ints through 8 games is unacceptable.

OSBF
November 2nd, 2015, 02:09 PM
With ILS being @SDSU, I think i'll make the drive over and go to this one.

Only a little over an hour for me.

eiu1999
November 2nd, 2015, 02:14 PM
With ILS being @SDSU, I think i'll make the drive over and go to this one.

Only a little over an hour for me.

Not sure I'd waste the gas.

KPSUL
November 2nd, 2015, 02:21 PM
JSU playing OVC competition reminds of both Mohammed Ali and Mike Tyson after they first won the championship: No serious challengers.

Cocky
November 2nd, 2015, 02:22 PM
Not sure I'd waste the gas.

If you can play ISUr to OT you can play with us.

eiu1999
November 2nd, 2015, 02:39 PM
If you can play ISUr to OT you can play with us.

Call me a skeptic.

OSBF
November 6th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Not to piss off the JAX fans, and no, I'm not dissing your team, but I REALLY will be cheering for EIU to win this one.

Big_Fan
November 6th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Nah, think it will be closer than you think. EIU has always been tough for JSU. When I think playing in Charleston, I think wind. That, with EIU's good pass defense will make it tough for JSU to put up a bunch of points. Don't think EIU can put up enough points to win, though.

Maybe... I can see them keeping it to 17 if they play a near perfect game, and we play down to them. As I said on our forums, JSU has looked like a cat playing with a mouse for most of the season. Even the UTM game was that way for a large part of it... our pulling the starters too early almost bit us, but the game wasn't as close as the scoreboard indicated... and I have no doubt that UTM has a better offense than EIU. If UTM had a defense, they would be deadly.

This game could be similar to the EKU game last season if our offense isn't clicking... I don't think EIU has enough offense to hang for 4 quarters. Their defense has been hit or miss this season. At times they look very good on defense. At other times...no. If we play well, we win handily. If we don't, it could get hairy - but I can't see any way they win, short of a total collapse by our players and coaches.

The same thing concerns me this season that bothered me last season. We tend to live on the big play. At times we don't seem able to get a long drive when we need it - something we did at will in 2013 when we went 3 deep into the playoffs. Some of that may be that we have been protecting Eli and limiting the designed QB runs, while in 2013 he ran a lot. The 2013 "heavy set" was unstoppable if we needed < 3 yards. I don't think EIU has the defense to shut us down. If they continue to turn the ball over multiple times, we win big.

eiu1999
November 6th, 2015, 11:48 AM
If EIU can force the turnovers like they did against Tech, then they have a chance (5 INTs and a fumble recovery).

Whitlow needs to be careful with the ball and the running game needs to show up.

Big_Fan
November 6th, 2015, 12:52 PM
If EIU can force the turnovers like they did against Tech, then they have a chance (5 INTs and a fumble recovery).

Whitlow needs to be careful with the ball and the running game needs to show up.

The Gamecocks have been pretty good at limiting turnovers this season. Eli isn't prone to throwing it to the wrong colored jersey... a number of our fumbles came early in the season on poor option pitches. We don't run the option much, and have run it less of late.

The EIU running game will be a big question mark. No one has run the ball on JSU this season. Auburn ended up with 165 yards, much of which came late in the game when the defense was getting tired. If EIU can run the ball, they stand a chance of winning straight up. Chatty had 110 yards rushing on us, 50 of which was QB runs (81 offset by 31 in sacks). They and Auburn are the only two teams to pass the century mark on the ground.

Our defense has looked incredible at times. Holding Peay to -2 yards in the first half was amazing... granted, Peay is not a good football team, but -2 yards of total offense? That is nuts.

The only way I see EIU winning the game, is if we come in overconfident. Considering the beat-down you guys handed us the last time we were there, I don't see that happening. I do think that it is possible that we play the game pretty close to the vest, and win in a relatively low scoring game. Combine that with a fluke play or a turnover... the ball can bounce funny. I don't see it happening, but that doesn't mean that it can't.

...to add, if I was an offensive coordinator for a JSU opponent, I would fight tooth and nail to establish the run. Nobody has done it on us. We have given up chunks of yards on the corners of the defense at times this season. A couple of times I have been worried about it, and the other team appeared to abandon the run because we scored too fast. I would stick to the gameplan and see what happens. I don't know if EIU will do that, but imo that is their best hope. Stick to your gameplan... don't abandon it when we score in under a minute.

eiu1999
November 6th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Well, hopefully this is the game EIU puts it all together and pulls off an large upset.

Redbirdz
November 7th, 2015, 11:45 AM
probably won't happen.

Sycamore62
November 7th, 2015, 01:51 PM
What was the 15 yd penalty on eiu right after the JSU facemasking penalty where he pulled his helmet off

Milktruck74
November 7th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Zebras are getting plenty of air time on this one.

Nickels
November 7th, 2015, 02:07 PM
0-3? EIU must be playing better than perfect?

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Zebras are getting plenty of air time on this one.
It looks that way. Doesn't look like we are having the best game. Props to EIU they look great on defense and on the running plays.

JSU02
November 7th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Final: 24-3 Jax State

Big_Fan
November 7th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Final: 24-3 Jax State

That game was the worst case scenario I was concerned about. We seemed scared to throw the ball in the wind, and had trouble sustaining drives. We ended up winning by 21 thanks to our defense. The offense was really meh today, and our string of 400 yard games was broken (by 15 yards)... hopefully we will be a top 2 seed, and at home through the playoffs. We play much better at home.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2015, 04:30 PM
That game was the worst case scenario I was concerned about. We seemed scared to throw the ball in the wind, and had trouble sustaining drives. We ended up winning by 21 thanks to our defense. The offense was really meh today, and our string of 400 yard games was broken (by 15 yards)... hopefully we will be a top 2 seed, and at home through the playoffs. We play much better at home.
The way Chattanooga and ISU are playing I can't see anyone taking #1 away from us this week.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2015, 05:11 PM
I turned it on at 3-3 ready to figure out what was up with JSU. It quickly became 24-3 and I turned it.

Cocky
November 7th, 2015, 05:15 PM
EIU was better than I expected. They have played the top 2 ranked team to very competitive games.

Sycamore62
November 7th, 2015, 05:56 PM
EIU was better than I expected. They have played the top 2 ranked team to very competitive games.
Until Monday's rankings come out

OSBF
November 7th, 2015, 06:49 PM
just got home from this

eiu defense had their back against the wall and held up incredibly well, the o just couldn't do enough to keep them off the field

eiu coaching staff having a torrid love affair with the wrong qb, that guy is awful, not sure what else he needs to do to show them he cant play