PDA

View Full Version : STATS bracket

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 1st, 2015, 03:34 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20151101132658348580904

JayJ79
November 1st, 2015, 04:08 PM
clarification: that would be a bracket conjecture of "if the season ended today". Doesn't take into account how prospective teams are likely to fair in their remaining few games.

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2015, 04:15 PM
What a joke. Why is EIU in as of today over UNI?

- - - Updated - - -

Colgate and Fordham? xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

SDS-UND winner to Illinois State? Nope.

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 07:22 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Did play ISUr closer (OT) than UNI did.

FargoBison
November 1st, 2015, 07:27 PM
Their bracket is trash. Spend some time to at least get the regionalization somewhat right.

Catsfan90
November 1st, 2015, 07:28 PM
Their bracket is trash.
Their poll is very indicative of how their bracket will be lol.

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2015, 09:50 PM
Did play ISUr closer (OT) than UNI did.

Because the transitive property always indicates who would win. ;)

EIU has 0 quality wins.
UNI has 2.

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 10:10 PM
Because the transitive property always indicates who would win. ;)

EIU has 0 quality wins.
UNI has 2.
And that mean you are better than EIU how?

mvemjsunpx
November 1st, 2015, 10:14 PM

That's… a good question. xchinscratchx

I assume he has Colgate as the auto bid. I don't think Fordham deserves an at-large, but they'll likely get one if they win out.

What's odd about that?

BisonTru
November 1st, 2015, 10:16 PM
What's odd about that?

I think he's saying that matchup would go through Fargo instead.

CappinHard
November 1st, 2015, 10:34 PM
I think he's saying that matchup would go through Fargo instead.

I think he's saying that SDSU is going to beat ISUr next weekend, and there will end up being 3 seeded MVFC teams, so that matchup couldn't happen in the 2nd round. xthumbsupx

For real though, that would be a brutal draw for ISUr if they get the #1 seed.

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2015, 11:01 PM
And that mean you are better than EIU how?

It makes more sense than "they played Illinois State close".

Lehigh Football Nation
November 1st, 2015, 11:22 PM
Those speculating on Fordham's at-large fitness ought to be asking themselves how an EKU team with not a single win over a team with a winning record is in this bracket, especially after they just got crushed 34-0 at the hands of Jacksonville State.

Bethune-Cookman is in there. Really?

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2015, 12:32 AM
Those speculating on Fordham's at-large fitness ought to be asking themselves how an EKU team with not a single win over a team with a winning record is in this bracket, especially after they just got crushed 34-0 at the hands of Jacksonville State.

I think it was so terrible we all just quit. xlolx

Cocky
November 2nd, 2015, 06:26 AM

EKU would beat Fordham. Do you think Fordham could have a competitive game against any SEC team on any day?

Cocky
November 2nd, 2015, 06:33 AM
It makes more sense than "they played Illinois State close".
Probably so,
I agree UNI is the better team so its hard to make a good argument for EIU. The problem is UNI has loss one more and you have two common opponents with each playing one closer. Then both have a FBS loss and both of those teams suck. I guess your wins against better teams are not out weighing the one additional loss. Hopefully EIU will gain a L this week.

clenz
November 2nd, 2015, 06:50 AM
Probably so,
I agree UNI is the better team so its hard to make a good argument for EIU. The problem is UNI has loss one more and you have two common opponents with each playing one closer. Then both have a FBS loss and both of those teams suck. I guess your wins against better teams are not out weighing the one additional loss. Hopefully EIU will gain a L this week.
UNI has played 8 games.
6 of those were FCS
6 of those FCS games were against opponents ranked at the time
5 of those teams are still ranked
3 of them are currently top 10 teams
2 of them are likely to be top 5 this week
The 1 unranked team was 26 in last weeks AGS poll...and had beaten one of the top 5 teams
UNI has 3 wins vs teams in the top 25 at the time of the game

Looking at the losses...UNI's average loss vs the FCS top 25 is 5 points.

It's pretty fair to say that UNI is likely significantly better than their record, and likely ranking, indicates. Sadly, when out of your first 8 games you get an FBS and 6 teams ranked in the top 26 things can go pear shaped pretty quick with just 1 or 2 bad bounces of the ball.

Meanwhile EIU has played Austin Peay, SEMO, Tennessee State, Tennessee Tech and Murray State the last 5 weeks....not a single one getting votes in the AGS top 25

Looking at the Sagarin SOS...
UNI has the 98th toughest schedule in ALL of D1
EIU has the 171st toughest
Jacksonville State has the 186th

By comparison
WIU - 108
South Dakota - 131
NDSU - 133
ISUR - 135
SDSU - 139
The Citadel - 169
Portland State - 150
Chatty - 174
William and Mary - 182
JMU - 187
Richmond - 197

A perfect example of why ranking by record is dumb

Cocky
November 2nd, 2015, 08:24 AM
Who are the MVC good OOC victories this year?
EWU
SUU
EIU
SEMO
Cal Poly
Liberty

MVC doesnt have the great OOC record of last year to give outsider the feel its all powerful this year.

As for as strength of schedule, you could have a high ranking but only play good teams. If your great you shouldnt lose to those teams, while your ranking could be lower but play a couple of great teams and several terrible teams. The team playing a couple of great teams has a better chance of losing than a team playing a bunch of good teams. There isnt one measuring stick which tells which team is better.

EIU season starts this week as the top teams in the OVC are left for them to play. If they beat us EIU can play with anyone in FCS.

Sycamore62
November 2nd, 2015, 08:28 AM
quit wasting your time arguing EIU UNI.

EIU will play ISUb in the 1st round winner to go to ISUr

Cocky
November 2nd, 2015, 08:32 AM
quit wasting your time arguing EIU UNI.

EIU will play ISUb in the 1st round winner to go to ISUr
You have EIU over EKU and UTM? All three are real close but I believe EKU is the best of the lot.

LeadBolt
November 2nd, 2015, 08:45 AM
I found it interesting that in talking about losses by 9 of their top 25 They didn't say anything about JMU @ W&M.

Sycamore62
November 2nd, 2015, 08:57 AM
You have EIU over EKU and UTM? All three are real close but I believe EKU is the best of the lot.

A little is me not believing in EKU but mostly that its a road game at the end of the season for them.

The ISUb part is blind fandom

kalm
November 2nd, 2015, 08:59 AM
EWU
SUU
EIU
SEMO
Cal Poly
Liberty

MVC doesnt have the great OOC record of last year to give outsider the feel its all powerful this year.

As for as strength of schedule, you could have a high ranking but only play good teams. If your great you shouldnt lose to those teams, while your ranking could be lower but play a couple of great teams and several terrible teams. The team playing a couple of great teams has a better chance of losing than a team playing a bunch of good teams. There isnt one measuring stick which tells which team is better.

EIU season starts this week as the top teams in the OVC are left for them to play. If they beat us EIU can play with anyone in FCS.

Versus a week in week out slug fest without the 4-6 weeks you can almost take off, rest starters and get healthy?

I'm not sure you're right here.

jacksfan29
November 2nd, 2015, 09:02 AM
Because the OVC is one heck of a tough conference. Plus they have proven they are incredibly successful once the playoffs arrive. xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Sycamore62
November 2nd, 2015, 09:04 AM
EWU
SUU
EIU
SEMO
Cal Poly
Liberty

If all the teams in the fcs were ranked 1-125 perfectly with no arguments where would you draw the line between great and good and where would good stop.

Our FCS losses have been to SDSU NDSU and ISUr. which of those would you consider great?

clenz
November 2nd, 2015, 09:21 AM
If all the teams in the fcs were ranked 1-125 perfectly with no arguments where would you draw the line between great and good and where would good stop.

Our FCS losses have been to SDSU NDSU and ISUr. which of those would you consider great?
Great is top 8-12, depending on the year.
Above average is 10 to 15-18 depending on the year
Good would be down to about 35
Below average would be down to about 50
Bad would be down to about 70
Real bad would be about 85-90
Terrible would be the rest

Sycamore62
November 2nd, 2015, 09:24 AM
Great is top 8-12, depending on the year.
Above average is 10 to 15-18 depending on the year
Good would be down to about 35
Below average would be down to about 50
Bad would be down to about 70
Real bad would be about 85-90
Terrible would be the rest

we need to make a bell curve

Cocky
November 2nd, 2015, 09:32 AM
Versus a week in week out slug fest without the 4-6 weeks you can almost take off, rest starters and get healthy?

I'm not sure you're right here.
Not saying one is a better measure than the other just you cant compare schedules to determine the better team. You, Clenz, Rob and most others on the site watch enough games and have seen enough games to just say UNI is better than EIU. I would respect your opinion more than EIU sucks because they havent played anyone.

As has been stated before by our fans, we wish the OVC had more good teams but not much we can do or any other conference to join.

REALBird
November 2nd, 2015, 09:38 AM
Not saying one is a better measure than the other just you cant compare schedules to determine the better team. You, Clenz, Rob and most others on the site watch enough games and have seen enough games to just say UNI is better than EIU. I would respect your opinion more than EIU sucks because they havent played anyone.

As has been stated before by our fans, we wish the OVC had more good teams but not much we can do or any other conference to join.

I keep hearing there may be an opening in the Big South Conference soon or the Southern Conference. Chatty fans would probably love that move.

Cocky
November 2nd, 2015, 09:45 AM
Is either any better? We play UTC now and the rest of the SOCON isnt real strong. Big South isnt strong for sure and its has several long rides.

We would play tougher competition playing in the Gulf South. TUNA, West Ga, Valdosta and West Alabama are all better than the other close by FCS schools. We would get ragged all to hell if we played all of them.

kalm
November 2nd, 2015, 10:02 AM

Fair enough. Comparing schedules is just one tool in the kit.

eiu1999
November 2nd, 2015, 10:25 AM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

EIU will be out after Saturday, calm yourself.