View Full Version : State of the Southland: Nov. 1

BEAR
November 1st, 2015, 01:52 PM
State of the Southland November 1, 2015

Standings:
McNeese 7-0
Sam Houston 5-1
UCA 5-1
……teams below this line are out of conference title contention………
Lamar 3-3
SLU 3-3
UIW 3-3
SFA 3-3
NWST 2-4
ACU 2-5
Nicholls 1-5
HBU 0-6

Remaining schedules for contenders:

McNeese- SHSU at home, Lamar on road
SHSU- McNeese on road, NWST at home, UCA on road
UCA- SFA at home, Nicholls on road, SHSU at home

Scenarios for each:

McNeese: McNeese has a tough game ahead at home vs. SHSU. Win that and you have at least a share of the conference. Win the next at Lamar and its outright.

SHSU- Tough road game at McNeese. Lose that game and you fall to 3rd in conference pending a UCA win at home against SFA. After a NWST game you go back on the road to UCA.

UCA- SFA visits Conway and could play spoiler to UCA’s possible chances of sharing a conference title. Next is a winnable game at Nicholls followed by yet another top team in SHSU visiting Conway.

Who has the easiest path left? McNeese. They’ve already taken care of UCA so the only team standing in their way is SHSU and its played in The Hole. Win that and the banners fly.

Co-champs? It’s possible! If McNeese loses to Sam Houston and Sam Houston loses to UCA and UCA wins out that will put McNeese 8-1 and UCA 8-1. (A scenario this Bear fan is hoping for.)

Who would get the autobid? UCA. (unless I mistunderstand in this case and the head to head determines it.) UCA hasn’t been to the playoffs the longest of the three teams and would have the same conference record as McNeese.

Likely conference standings after this week: (I.M.O.)

McNeese 7-1 (Could be 8-0 also )
Sam 6-1 ( Could be 5-2 also)
UCA 6-1 (could be 5-2 also )

Here’s the issues:

McNeese has a really good defense but a below average offense but is able to score and get turnovers at critical times. Will their luck run out this week against an offense that is rolling in SHSU?

SHSU has a great offense and a really good defense BUT the defense McNeese will bring might be enough to slow down the Kats. Hard to judge the Bearkats when two of their toughest opponents will happen this week and the last week of the season.

UCA has a really good defense and an offense that resembles a MASH unit but are able to pull off the big plays when needed. SFA can come to conway and win. No fan is doubting that. But get past the Lumberjacks and you get Nicholls.

Matchup of the week:

Sam Houston at McNeese.

Let’s look at how these teams compare conference only stats:

Characteristic

McNeese

Sam Houston

Points per game:

Scoring Defense:

Total YPG:

Total defense YPG:

Rushing YPG:

Rushing Defense YPG allowed:

Passing YPG:

Passing Defense YPG:

Sacks gotten/given up

24/8

14/6

Prediction: I’m going with Sam Houston pulling off the upset because of their passing game coming up big. I don’t forsee McNeese letting them run on them so they will have to go through the air to get points. Will the Bearkats O-line be enough to stop the McNeese defense and allow the QB to get off good passes or will McNeese wear down that O-line enough to disrupt their offense? We’ll see.

Score: SHSU 28 McNeese 21

Final thoughts:

McNeese seems to be winning but only because that defense is giving them opportunities on short fields. If the offense gets going and the defense stays the same McNeese will be a tough out for any playoff team.

Sam Houston has a brilliant offense that is winning games for them. Surely a playoff bound team unless they crumble the last 3 weeks and I don’t see that happening.

UCA is too beat up. Both starting QBs are fighting shoulder injuries and passing the ball upfield is a treat rarely taken so the run game has to step up to eat up the clock. Nothing but battles left for the Bears. However UCA should be considered for most polls (maybe not top 25) this week.

McNeese75
November 1st, 2015, 02:08 PM
McNeese is already 8-0 by the way. Then again, maybe you are referring to conference games only.

Nickels
November 1st, 2015, 02:17 PM
UCA hasn’t been to the playoffs the longest of the three teams and would have the same conference record as McNeese
The SLC changed that rule a year or two ago. I don't have an exact link to the rule but apparently it's head to head now.

With the Southland expanded to 11 teams, the tiebreaker to determine who receives the automatic bid is now head-to-head results.
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/tierney-bearkats-chasing-another-southland-conference-title/article_635f2c68-5e5f-11e4-a812-ffd45eadabbb.html

BEAR
November 1st, 2015, 02:23 PM
The SLC changed that rule a year or two ago. I don't have an exact link to the rule but apparently it's head to head now.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/tierney-bearkats-chasing-another-southland-conference-title/article_635f2c68-5e5f-11e4-a812-ffd45eadabbb.html

I didn't know that. Makes sense though. xdrunkyx

McNeese is already 8-0 by the way. Then again, maybe you are referring to conference games only

Yes, I posted a thread about the conference and its matchups so I was referring to conference only. xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
November 1st, 2015, 06:36 PM
We'll find out who we are this week....

Nickels
November 1st, 2015, 06:45 PM
We still wont know...

FormerPokeCenter
November 1st, 2015, 06:53 PM
The answer might be clearer than you realize ;)

katstrapper
November 2nd, 2015, 06:28 AM
Most people would laugh, but the Tx A&M- Commerce game this past week was a good test against a team that plays very aggressive defense against the run and is so-so against the pass. They brought 5-6-7 guys just about every play. Definitely the best team Kats have seen since first week of season.

It will interesting to see how the Kat run game will match up. They have shown the ability at times to be able to just load up and run the ball at will when needed, but this will be a great test. JJ's passing and mobility will be a huge factor in this game.

McNeese72
November 2nd, 2015, 07:51 AM

If we play like we did in Abilene, we will get crushed!!!

Doc

Sammy94
November 2nd, 2015, 07:59 AM
Can McNeese just think they are in the playoffs this week please.

FormerPokeCenter
November 2nd, 2015, 09:19 AM
If we play like we did in Abilene, we will get crushed!!!

Doc

Exactly....I'm pretty sure the ACU defensive model will be used from here on out...

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2015, 10:00 AM
Exactly....I'm pretty sure the ACU defensive model will be used from here on out...

No, No, No, the envelope with the cash has already been delivered to Collins, We are good to go xcoolx

:D

(and some of these Kat fans are going to believe that xnodx)

FormerPokeCenter
November 2nd, 2015, 10:08 AM
LOL!

TheRevSFA
November 2nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
Things will be clearer after SFA beats UCA

Daytripper
November 2nd, 2015, 12:38 PM

That very likely could happen. SFA's record does not reflect how good they are. I'm glad they are in our rear view mirror.

BEAR
November 2nd, 2015, 12:43 PM

Or Nicholls for that matter....

Daytripper
November 2nd, 2015, 01:28 PM
No, No, No, the envelope with the cash has already been delivered to Collins, We are good to go xcoolx

:D

(and some of these Kat fans are going to believe that xnodx)

MC doesn't need money to tank...he does it naturally..

FormerPokeCenter
November 2nd, 2015, 01:31 PM
Well....looking at select FB pages today, I haven't seen any of the normal activity I generally see on Mike's page or on the pages of the McNeese staff.

Something tells me that they're really really busy on both sides of the Sabine!

McNeese72
November 2nd, 2015, 02:31 PM
MC doesn't need money to tank...he does it naturally..

I think Mike knows us so well, it won't be hard to come up with a defense that works against us. Hell, all he has to do is look at the ACU tape.

Doc

Daytripper
November 2nd, 2015, 02:40 PM
I think Mike knows us so well, it won't be hard to come up with a defense that works against us. Hell, all he has to do is look at the ACU tape.

Doc

If that is all he has to do, then he probably won't. There is a reason you guys ran him off to coach high school. I am still at a loss as to why Keeler keeps him around.

FormerPokeCenter
November 2nd, 2015, 02:44 PM
We didnt' run him off....he left to pursue more money....He's still highly regarded around Lake Charles and they'd take him back in a heartbeat..

But we like our current DC, too...so that might be problematic.

Daytripper
November 2nd, 2015, 02:46 PM
We didnt' run him off....he left to pursue more money....He's still highly regarded around Lake Charles and they'd take him back in a heartbeat..

But we like our current DC, too...so that might be problematic.

Oh, good lord!!! I will pay for the bus ticket!!!

McNeese72
November 2nd, 2015, 02:50 PM
If that is all he has to do, then he probably won't. There is a reason you guys ran him off to coach high school. I am still at a loss as to why Keeler keeps him around.

We didn't run him off. He left for the money. More money for coaching in the Texas schools.

But we are glad we have Lance back. But he is Mike on steriods when it comes to pressure defense and putting your DB's on an island. Stuff the run and pressure the QB and pray that the DB's can hold up.

Doc

Daytripper
November 2nd, 2015, 03:04 PM
We didn't run him off. He left for the money. More money for coaching in the Texas schools.

But we are glad we have Lance back. But he is Mike on steriods when it comes to pressure defense and putting your DB's on an island. Stuff the run and pressure the QB and pray that the DB's can hold up.

Doc

I believe he no longer adheres to this philosophy. At least that is what I think when I watch us play.

Nickels
November 2nd, 2015, 03:30 PM
I believe he no longer adheres to this philosophy. At least that is what I think when I watch us play.
His philosophy seems to be rush 4, put the two LBs out of position and give receivers 10 yards of cushion. We get ate up with screens and interior runs due to this.

I'll never forget him calling a prevent D against SELA in the playoffs with too much time left. He let them march up the field for the win. No pressure, no rush, he basically stood there with his head up his ass while giving SELA the game. That's when I gave up on him.

I gave him cudos at the end of last year as he was actually coaching. You could see it from the stands. He was actually giving a **** and was putting some passion into it. I had confidence in him. Then this year starts and he's right back to bad Collins again. I'm starting to see a little passion and intensity from him again but I'm tired of riding the Collins roller coaster.