PDA

View Full Version : Three Montana football players arrested

FCSwatcher
November 1st, 2015, 12:42 PM
http://missoulian.com/news/local/three-griz-football-players-arrested-on-felony-burglary-charges/article_a62c4a19-5d68-5c3b-bca3-6e22683937ce.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clenz
November 1st, 2015, 12:59 PM
Counts stole the W from NDSU. Liked the feeling so much he just kept stealing, apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2015, 01:25 PM
Apparently the game and travel to Portland didn't wear them out enough

IBleedYellow
November 1st, 2015, 01:30 PM
Yeah that's not good. Stating the obvious here.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2015, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure if Jax State will let them transfer in....they usually only take felons from the SEC. Of course, they are innocent until proven guilty. The Mocs had an incident earlier this year where the first report made it sound as if a completely inebriated player tried to pull a gun on an officer....when in fact he was of age and informed the officer he was carrying a handgun, and that he had a CCW....his mistake was being under the influence while it went down. So let's see how this hashes out in Griz country this week.

KPSUL
November 1st, 2015, 01:57 PM
Not much detail; however, felony burglary is not a boys will be boys incident.

Silenoz
November 1st, 2015, 01:58 PM
Well, solid year gets solider. Without KVA we are now facing a very real 4-7 finish

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure if Jax State will let them transfer in....they usually only take felons from the SEC. Of course, they are innocent until proven guilty. The Mocs had an incident earlier this year where the first report made it sound as if a completely inebriated player tried to pull a gun on an officer....when in fact he was of age and informed the officer he was carrying a handgun, and that he had a CCW....his mistake was being under the influence while it went down. So let's see how this hashes out in Griz country this week.
Just the price of winning

veinup
November 1st, 2015, 02:24 PM
idiots.

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2015, 02:37 PM

In Iowa it's illegal to carry, even with CCW when intoxicated

JALMOND
November 1st, 2015, 02:57 PM
Something positive about busing. If the Griz had bused, everyone would have been leaving Spokane about the time the incident occurred.

Grizalltheway
November 1st, 2015, 04:16 PM
Something positive about busing. If the Griz had bused, everyone would have been leaving Spokane about the time the incident occurred.

Plenty to do in Missoula on Halloween night that doesn't involve felony charges.

Just completely retarded and inexcusable.

centennial
November 1st, 2015, 04:29 PM
Plenty to do in Missoula on Halloween night that doesn't involve felony charges.

Just completely retarded and inexcusable.
Was this a case of drunk Halloween prank gone wrong, or were these kids really trying to steal?

Thundar
November 1st, 2015, 04:34 PM
what some idiots, throw away a good thing possibly by not using a brain

ursus arctos horribilis
November 1st, 2015, 04:56 PM

I thought the same thing when I first read this. xlolx

Burglary is pretty high on the list of reasons to get f'n rid of people. It is not violence but is too close not to be considered as such.

Adios fella's. I sure wish you had been better people, I really do.

BisonFan02
November 1st, 2015, 05:11 PM
Non Violent Felony.....Spack is already on the horn to check for eligibility... xlolx

Catsfan90
November 1st, 2015, 05:11 PM
This is to bad. These kids get such a huge opportunity to play D1 ball as well as get an outstanding education. I hate seeing them throw it all away like this.

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2015, 05:34 PM
In Iowa it's illegal to carry, even with CCW when intoxicated

As it is in TN. Point being, the initial story would have led you to believe he was stumbling and waving his pistol around and pointing it at cops, when in actuality he was in his own yard, on his second beer (and over 21) and politely informed the officer....still charged (not a felony) but will probably plee out to a fine and no record. Just saying it could have been something stupid like taking the suit of armor out of the Phi Delts house....not that I'm admitting to doing that 20 years ago!!!!!!

FCSwatcher
November 1st, 2015, 06:27 PM
This is to bad. These kids get such a huge opportunity to play D1 ball as well as get an outstanding education. I hate seeing them throw it all away like this.

Sad thing is it fits in with some pro athletes styles.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 1st, 2015, 06:45 PM
Sad thing is it fits in with some pro athletes styles.

It fits with all corners of society styles unfortunately. A certain percentage just screw it up.

FCSwatcher
November 1st, 2015, 06:46 PM
It fits with all corners of society styles unfortunately. A certain percentage just screw it up.

That is the truth

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 07:11 PM
As it is in TN. Point being, the initial story would have led you to believe he was stumbling and waving his pistol around and pointing it at cops, when in actuality he was in his own yard, on his second beer (and over 21) and politely informed the officer....still charged (not a felony) but will probably plee out to a fine and no record. Just saying it could have been something stupid like taking the suit of armor out of the Phi Delts house....not that I'm admitting to doing that 20 years ago!!!!!!
But you did admit you love us for kicking your butt the last few years.

mvemjsunpx
November 1st, 2015, 07:13 PM
http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/article_627dd83a-80cd-11e5-9c4d-cfe8c02a41b9.html

If this is at all an accurate portrayal, then it's a miracle these guys can even dress themselves in the morning. xeyebrowx

FCSwatcher
November 1st, 2015, 07:31 PM
http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/article_627dd83a-80cd-11e5-9c4d-cfe8c02a41b9.html

If this is at all an accurate portrayal, then it's a miracle these guys can even dress themselves in the morning. xeyebrowx

They are lucky they aren't full of lead.

putter
November 1st, 2015, 07:33 PM

They are OK, they weren't in the garage.....

Catsfan90
November 1st, 2015, 07:40 PM

My thoughts exactly. Really stupid to enter a home unannounced especially in areas where gun ownership is high.

Drblankstare
November 1st, 2015, 07:57 PM

God forbid my livelihood ever depends on 20 year olds. Sometimes these kids do the dumbest ****.

veinup
November 1st, 2015, 09:13 PM
really disappointing to read this. at least they didn't taze anybody. sigh.

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2015, 10:09 AM

Damn, yall need a Dave and Busters or Topgolf or something in Missoula for these athletes to do at night other than critique home remodels xcoolx

World
November 2nd, 2015, 10:20 AM
Maybe they were just a little cold and need a warm place to hang around

on a serious note, it will be interesting to see where they got the ladder from - was it just laying around outside the house or did they bring it with them with the full intent of pre-meditated robbery....

eiu1999
November 2nd, 2015, 10:23 AM
Pure idiocy.

OSBF
November 2nd, 2015, 11:23 AM
Few years ago there was a felony home invasion involving a couple of Illannoy basketball players

The slow white kid transferred to Wichita St and had a nice career, Luther Head(case) was allowed to play out his eligibility

The homeowner dropped all charges, and was spotted in future years sitting in the high roller donor section

Cost the State's attorney his job, was a big issue in the next election cycle

JayJ79
November 2nd, 2015, 11:28 AM
Maybe they were just a little cold and need a warm place to hang around

on a serious note, it will be interesting to see where they got the ladder from - was it just laying around outside the house or did they bring it with them with the full intent of pre-meditated robbery....

don't know anything about this specific situation (or that particular area of Montana), but it wouldn't surprise me if the ladder was left outside or near the house, since they were in the middle of remodeling and all.

Not that that justifies anyone climbing into the house without permission of the homeowners.

LeadBolt
November 2nd, 2015, 11:32 AM
God forbid my livelihood ever depends on 20 year olds. Sometimes these kids do the dumbest ****.

This.

Green26
November 2nd, 2015, 07:31 PM
Piecing together facts: they were walking late at night and waiting for their ride to show up, saw a building under construction along the sidewalk, which they thought was unoccupied, and out of curiosity walked up a makeshift construction "ladder" and took a look in an unfinished room above a garage. There was a large unfinished space for a window. The upstairs room had a roof, but was otherwise unfinished. They didn't take anything or cause any damage, according to the owner. They walked around and talked fairly loud, according to the owner. He also said they probably didn't realize that part of the larger structure in back was occupied. He said they should be charged with stupidity.

veinup
November 2nd, 2015, 09:55 PM
Piecing together facts: they were walking late at night and waiting for their ride to show up, saw a building under construction along the sidewalk, which they thought was unoccupied, and out of curiosity walked up a makeshift construction "ladder" and took a look in an unfinished room above a garage. There was a large unfinished space for a window. The upstairs room had a roof, but was otherwise unfinished. They didn't take anything or cause any damage, according to the owner. They walked around and talked fairly loud, according to the owner. He also said they probably didn't realize that part of the larger structure in back was occupied. He said they should be charged with stupidity.

i don't think any of them will end up getting charged with felony anything.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/prosecutor-initial-investigation-insufficient-to-file-charges-against-griz-players/article_310142a2-595a-5d64-aab8-ebe3bca57592.html

"Prosecutor says initial investigation insufficient to file charges against griz players". so the investigation continues ...

eiu1999
November 2nd, 2015, 10:06 PM
We many of us that dumb at 20?

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2015, 10:23 PM

What I don't understand is they just got their butts handed to them earlier in the day and realized that they need to win out to have any chance at continuing the Griz tradition of playing in the playoffs. So they get off the plane and, instead of heading home, they decide to take a walk up Pattee Creek at 3am? I mean, what were they doing, trying to find the local Taco John's? Guilty of stupidity, for sure.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 2nd, 2015, 10:53 PM
What I don't understand is they just got their butts handed to them earlier in the day and realized that they need to win out to have any chance at continuing the Griz tradition of playing in the playoffs. So they get off the plane and, instead of heading home, they decide to take a walk up Pattee Creek at 3am? I mean, what were they doing, trying to find the local Taco John's? Guilty of stupidity, for sure.

I have no insight but my guess is that they were at a Halloween party or something in that general neighborhood. It is also in the area of several student housing units. It is absolutely dumb as **** but to be honest and answer the question eiu posed about could I have done something like this at 20? I gotta admit I could have walked around a construction site if I thought it was empty and I were drunk. I did dumb **** all the time but just hadn't done that since I was a little kid looking for wood at new construction to make a bicycle ramp out of.

Make no mistake, this is dumb as ****. There is zero question on that.

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2015, 12:45 AM
if the above account is true, then I really don't think "felony burglary" makes any sense. criminal trespass maybe, but not burglary.

though I'm no lawyer

UNDOregon
November 3rd, 2015, 02:20 AM
Didn't their coaches and college advisors tell them, during those social responsibility lectures in August, that if they are not in bed by midnight, it's time to go home? :)

Kidding! That's bad advice!

UNDOregon
November 3rd, 2015, 03:05 AM
I am not seeing any criminality here. Burglars, at least the ones who intend to steal, do not work in groups of 5. Burglars know that every additional person makes it more likely to get caught or other trouble to arise.

Prosecutor can prove the element of entering, but she can't prove the element of intent to commit a crime once inside. She apparently has no evidence of intent to steal, circumstantial or direct evidence. Did these people case the joint, wear black clothes and black ski masks, and have burglar tools? Doubt it. They talked so loudly the owner heard the conversation, which was probably funny, silly, nonsensical, rather than any type of hushed-tone discussion of some grand scheme to steal from this homeowner. She needs further investigation/interviews with witnesses to see if she can pin intent to steal, or to commit some other crime, on some of these 5. I am not sure how she is going to come up with that. After the arrests, she only has a short time to prepare the written charging instrument, as in arrested defendants are in court for their first appearance usually by the next business day. Don't know how long she can delay that in Montana but it can't be very long.

Plus, her star witness, the homeowner, has already talked to the press and provided legal exculpability for the 5 defendants (i.e., he doesn't believe they had any intent to commit a crime when inside the house). Prosecutors do not like when witnesses talk to the press.

Unfortunately for these 5, Missoula is under the microscope for how it handles crimes involving student-athletes. We can expect aggressive overcharging. I am sure they are trying hard to come up with some charge against these 5.

mvemjsunpx
November 3rd, 2015, 07:30 AM
I am not seeing any criminality here. Burglars, at least the ones who intend to steal, do not work in groups of 5. Burglars know that every additional person makes it more likely to get caught or other trouble to arise.

Prosecutor can prove the element of entering, but she can't prove the element of intent to commit a crime once inside. She apparently has no evidence of intent to steal, circumstantial or direct evidence. Did these people case the joint, wear black clothes and black ski masks, and have burglar tools? Doubt it. They talked so loudly the owner heard the conversation, which was probably funny, silly, nonsensical, rather than any type of hushed-tone discussion of some grand scheme to steal from this homeowner. She needs further investigation/interviews with witnesses to see if she can pin intent to steal, or to commit some other crime, on some of these 5. I am not sure how she is going to come up with that. After the arrests, she only has a short time to prepare the written charging instrument, as in arrested defendants are in court for their first appearance usually by the next business day. Don't know how long she can delay that in Montana but it can't be very long.

Plus, her star witness, the homeowner, has already talked to the press and provided legal exculpability for the 5 defendants (i.e., he doesn't believe they had any intent to commit a crime when inside the house). Prosecutors do not like when witnesses talk to the press.

Unfortunately for these 5, Missoula is under the microscope for how it handles crimes involving student-athletes. We can expect aggressive overcharging. I am sure they are trying hard to come up with some charge against these 5.

I don't think they'll end up going down for felonies, either, but I'm not sure you read the Kaimin story quite right. For one, the homeowner only indicated he didn't think Courtney Reep (the girl who arrived to pick the others up later) had any intent to burglarize; he never said that about the other four. Also, your attitude that—because they weren't acting like professional burglars—they weren't doing anything criminal is silly. Stupidity doesn't make them innocent, it just makes them stupid, and they clearly committed some level of crime.

Bisonator
November 3rd, 2015, 08:08 AM
if the above account is true, then I really don't think "felony burglary" makes any sense. criminal trespass maybe, but not burglary.

though I'm no lawyer

Would it even be criminal trespass? Did they break anything or steal anything? Stupid is as stupid does.

Winindy
November 3rd, 2015, 08:28 AM
Would it even be criminal trespass? Did they break anything or steal anything? Stupid is as stupid does.

Do they own or have the dwelling under contract? NO

Did they knowingly or intentionally enter the dwelling without consent? Yes

That is most likely at the very least criminal trespass.

Catsfan90
November 3rd, 2015, 08:31 AM

Not to mention most construction sites per regulation will have generally posted somewhere not to trespassing, or something along those lines.

Anytime that something is posted no trespassing, and you go anyway without anyone's consent. It is 100% trespassing.

Bisonator
November 3rd, 2015, 08:36 AM

The definition of criminal trespass can very by state:
Criminal TrespassAt common law a trespass was not criminal unless it was accomplished by violence or breached the peace. Some modern statutes make any unlawful entry onto another's property a crime. Whenthe trespass involves violence or injury to a person or property, it is always considered criminal, and penalties may be increased for more serious or malicious acts. Criminal intent may have to beproved to convict under some statutes, but in some states trespass is a criminal offense regardless of the defendant's intent.
Some statutes consider a trespass criminal only if the defendant has an unlawful purpose in entering or remaining in the place where he has no right to be. The unlawful purpose may be an attemptto disrupt a government office, theft, or Arson (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/arson). Statutes in some states specify that a trespass is not criminal until after a warning, either spoken or by posted signs, has been given to thetrespasser. Criminal trespass is punishable by fine or imprisonment or both.

Winindy
November 3rd, 2015, 08:45 AM
The definition of criminal trespass can very by state:
Criminal Trespass

At common law a trespass was not criminal unless it was accomplished by violence or breached the peace. Some modern statutes make any unlawful entry onto another's property a crime. Whenthe trespass involves violence or injury to a person or property, it is always considered criminal, and penalties may be increased for more serious or malicious acts. Criminal intent may have to beproved to convict under some statutes, but in some states trespass is a criminal offense regardless of the defendant's intent.
Some statutes consider a trespass criminal only if the defendant has an unlawful purpose in entering or remaining in the place where he has no right to be. The unlawful purpose may be an attemptto disrupt a government office, theft, or Arson (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/arson). Statutes in some states specify that a trespass is not criminal until after a warning, either spoken or by posted signs, has been given to thetrespasser. Criminal trespass is punishable by fine or imprisonment or both.

Montana code is:

45-6-203. Criminal trespass to property. (1) Except as provided in 15-7-139 (http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/15/7/15-7-139.htm), 70-16-111 (http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/70/16/70-16-111.htm), and 76-13-116 (http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/76/13/76-13-116.htm), a person commits the offense of criminal trespass to property if the person knowingly:
(a) enters or remains unlawfully in an occupied structure; or
(b) enters or remains unlawfully in or upon the premises of another.
(2) A person convicted of the offense of criminal trespass to property shall be fined not to exceed $500 or be imprisoned in the county jail for any term not to exceed 6 months, or both.
(3) A person convicted of or who forfeits bond or bail for committing an act of criminal trespass involving property owned or administered by the department of fish, wildlife, and parks or while hunting, fishing, or trapping may be subject to revocation of the person's privilege to hunt, fish, or trap in this state for up to 24 months from the date of conviction or forfeiture.

MR. CHICKEN
November 3rd, 2015, 08:47 AM
Not to mention most construction sites per regulation will have generally posted somewhere not to trespassing, or something along those lines.

Anytime that something is posted no trespassing, and you go anyway without anyone's consent. It is 100% trespassing.

......ENTER AT OWN RISK......WHICH DUH THREE BEARS.....DID..........POKEY TIME...BRING DUH PHILOSOPHY BOOKS WHIFF YA'S....PLENTY UH TIME TA STUDY....AH KEEED...O' NO.......FIRE BRAWK!

Bisonator
November 3rd, 2015, 08:47 AM
Montana code is:

45-6-203. Criminal trespass to property. (1) Except as provided in 15-7-139 (http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/15/7/15-7-139.htm), 70-16-111 (http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/70/16/70-16-111.htm), and 76-13-116 (http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/76/13/76-13-116.htm), a person commits the offense of criminal trespass to property if the person knowingly:
(a) enters or remains unlawfully in an occupied structure; or
(b) enters or remains unlawfully in or upon the premises of another.
(2) A person convicted of the offense of criminal trespass to property shall be fined not to exceed $500 or be imprisoned in the county jail for any term not to exceed 6 months, or both.
(3) A person convicted of or who forfeits bond or bail for committing an act of criminal trespass involving property owned or administered by the department of fish, wildlife, and parks or while hunting, fishing, or trapping may be subject to revocation of the person's privilege to hunt, fish, or trap in this state for up to 24 months from the date of conviction or forfeiture.

That answers my question. xthumbsupx

F'N Hawks
November 3rd, 2015, 09:49 AM
I am glad the internet wasn't around when I was in college. If that is all they did, meh.

clenz
November 3rd, 2015, 09:56 AM
I am glad the internet wasn't around when I was in college. If that is all they did, meh.
I don't get this attitude. Not everyone is a ****ing moron in college. Not everyone goes around committing crimes (drugs, violence, stealing, etc...).

I don't get why we, as a society, continue to give adults (yes....they are adults) the built in excuse of "kids being kids", especially when they are an athlete. This goes well beyond this situation. Maybe I'm the one person who was able to handle my booze in college in the history of the world. Maybe I'm the only one that could/would drink from 6PM Thursday through 4AM Sunday and manage to not steal, break things, get in fights, drive drunk, **** every whore that looked at me no matter what STD I'd get, etc...

Maybe I should have. I would have gotten a pass, because at 21 I would have just been a kid being a kid...right? No need for real world punishments for these kids (not these as in this case specifically...speaking in a broader sense here). Just kids being kids. Don't hold them repsonsible. Teach them that as long as mommy and daddy are around to protect them, or as long as they have immense talent, they'll keep getting second chance after second chance.

/soapbox

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2015, 09:58 AM

though I'm no lawyer

I have zero facts backing up anything I said there. I am just surmising what is possible considering the area they were in and so forth. They very well could have been there to steal something. I am just saying that it seems like a possible way things went down considering what is known and so forth. But please don't think I actually know anything on this matter because I really do not.

F'N Hawks
November 3rd, 2015, 10:03 AM
I don't get this attitude. Not everyone is a ****ing moron in college. Not everyone goes around committing crimes (drugs, violence, stealing, etc...).

I don't get why we, as a society, continue to give adults (yes....they are adults) the built in excuse of "kids being kids", especially when they are an athlete. This goes well beyond this situation. Maybe I'm the one person who was able to handle my booze in college in the history of the world. Maybe I'm the only one that could/would drink from 6PM Thursday through 4AM Sunday and manage to not steal, break things, get in fights, drive drunk, **** every whore that looked at me no matter what STD I'd get, etc...

Maybe I should have. I would have gotten a pass, because at 21 I would have just been a kid being a kid...right?

/soapbox

There were some like you and some like me in college. Always will be. There are just less and less idiots like me once people get older, meaning while in college kids do dumb ***** but learn from it and probably don't do it as much once out in the real world. I drank hard at least 2-3 times per week and did many, many things I would like to take back. Got caught a couple times (pissing in public, reckless driving) but luckily not many people knew about it. Not like today.

If this is there first time getting caught for doing something stupid then maybe a game suspension, 1/2 game, whatever.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2015, 10:05 AM

I want to say this one more time. I do not know that what I said is the case at all. It just could be what happened. I made that up completely as it MIGHT be why things are unfolding as they are, or appear to be.

I mean honestly if you were committing a burglary it just seems odd that you would call a ride home and wait in the area for that ride. I'd be a little more likely to be on the run is my thinking. It just seems out of place.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2015, 10:17 AM

Maybe I should have. I would have gotten a pass, because at 21 I would have just been a kid being a kid...right? No need for real world punishments for these kids (not these as in this case specifically...speaking in a broader sense here). Just kids being kids. Don't hold them repsonsible. Teach them that as long as mommy and daddy are around to protect them, or as long as they have immense talent, they'll keep getting second chance after second chance.

/soapbox

I did all those things you siad. Some I did a lot. I got caught for some and some I got away with. I learned some lessons from myself and some from society's strong arm. I wouldn't trade your experience for mine.

The deal is I know the flip side of the coin and you don't seem to. I think that benefits me, the experience benefits me now even though it did not necessarily at the time.

It's fine if you stayed constantly within the lines. Good enough, others did some things that young drunk dip****s do and now can see things differently is probably why you don't line up directly with everyone. Not a big deal.

Grizalltheway
November 3rd, 2015, 10:34 AM

/soapbox

So this rant is just an attempt to justify your initial knee-jerk reaction to the situation, right?

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2015, 11:40 AM
I have zero facts backing up anything I said there. I am just surmising what is possible considering the area they were in and so forth. They very well could have been there to steal something. I am just saying that it seems like a possible way things went down considering what is known and so forth. But please don't think I actually know anything on this matter because I really do not.

exactly.

and that covers about 99% of all comments and message board banter on the internet.

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2015, 11:42 AM

so I'm good to show up with my crew in the middle of the night and climb through the back window of your house as long as I don't break or steal anything? cool.

clenz
November 3rd, 2015, 11:54 AM
So this rant is just an attempt to justify your initial knee-jerk reaction to the situation, right?
Please tell me what my knee-jerk reaction was...

Bisonator
November 3rd, 2015, 11:55 AM
so I'm good to show up with my crew in the middle of the night and climb through the back window of your house as long as I don't break or steal anything? cool.

Not what I said. Some statutes require criminal intent for criminal trespass. If someone happens onto someone's property by mistake with no criminal intent do you think they should be hung? Cool.

Grizalltheway
November 3rd, 2015, 12:05 PM
Please tell me what my knee-jerk reaction was...

Counts stole the W from NDSU. Like the feeling so much he just kept stealing, apparently.

clenz
November 3rd, 2015, 12:13 PM
Yeah...you're reaching pretty damn hard for that one.

AmsterBison
November 3rd, 2015, 12:18 PM
Why weren't they charged with murder instead of burglary? And don't give me the "there was no body" excuse because if a burglary doesn't require any stolen goods, why should murder require that somebody be killed?

Typical preferential treatment for athletes. xrotatehx

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2015, 12:38 PM
Not what I said. Some statutes require criminal intent for criminal trespass. If someone happens onto someone's property by mistake with no criminal intent do you think they should be hung? Cool.

people happen to wander up ladders into undergoing-renovation second stories of peoples houses completely by accident all the time.

BisonFan02
November 3rd, 2015, 12:53 PM
people happen to wander up ladders into undergoing-renovation second stories of peoples houses completely by accident all the time.

Fairly certain, back in the day...I climbed a ladder at the moon tower, stole some coed's innocence, and it definitely wasn't an accident...didn't produce an accident either. :D

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2015, 01:26 PM

How is putting up a ladder to enter a building "by mistake"? Are you implying that these guys live in a place without stairs, and have to access their living quarters via 10-foot metal ladder?

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2015, 01:28 PM
Fairly certain, back in the day...I climbed a ladder at the moon tower, stole some coed's innocence, and it definitely wasn't an accident...didn't produce an accident either. :D

Good thing too, I would hate to see a human-sheep offspring.

veinup
November 3rd, 2015, 01:36 PM
Counts stole the W from NDSU. Like the feeling so much he just kept stealing, apparently

if somebody wants to call this a knee jerk reaction, fine, but at least it was funny.

tbh i had a knee-jerk reaction myself, but just one of utter disappointment. as a long time fan of this team i've seen too many headlines like this. i'm sure we all remember the incident when a starting montana RB (forget his name) and a couple other players broke into a drug dealers house, tied up/duct taped some people, stole some money or something. UM FOOTBALL RAPE-GATE still looms in many of our minds. **** like that is a stain on our school, our town, and our football team. seeing another "multiple griz arrested" headline just sucks. i do jump to conclusions, but just because we have a history of this type of ****. i'd be pleased to learn that these guys didn't actually intend to steal anything or hurt anybody; it's just that in the past that hasn't always been the case.

i can forgive these guys if they were just drunk and doing stupid ****. count me in with the "at age 20ish got drunk and did a lot of stupid ****" crowd. they're definitely not the brightest tools in the shed. i don't know if i want them representing my state and my school. but if they didn't commit a serious crime i think they should be allowed to play football.

BisonFan02
November 3rd, 2015, 02:11 PM
Good thing too, I would hate to see a human-sheep offspring.

You silly ****er....sheep can't climb ladders xlolx (wrong state too :P )

clenz
November 3rd, 2015, 02:12 PM
if somebody wants to call this a knee jerk reaction, fine, but at least it was funny.

This guy gets it...

BisonFan02
November 3rd, 2015, 02:13 PM
This guy gets it...

does he?

ursus arctos horribilis

tbh i had a knee-jerk reaction myself, but just one of utter disappointment. as a long time fan of this team i've seen too many headlines like this. i'm sure we all remember the incident when a starting montana RB (forget his name) and a couple other players broke into a drug dealers house, tied up/duct taped some people, stole some money or something. UM FOOTBALL RAPE-GATE still looms in many of our minds. **** like that is a stain on our school, our town, and our football team. seeing another "multiple griz arrested" headline just sucks. i do jump to conclusions, but just because we have a history of this type of ****. i'd be pleased to learn that these guys didn't actually intend to steal anything or hurt anybody; it's just that in the past that hasn't always been the case.

i can forgive these guys if they were just drunk and doing stupid ****. count me in with the "at age 20ish got drunk and did a lot of stupid ****" crowd. they're definitely not the brightest tools in the shed. i don't know if i want them representing my state and my school. but if they didn't commit a serious crime i think they should be allowed to play football.

Oh I think they should be punished no matter what or how it all turns out. That probably means not playing some of that football but that is just the way it is.

clenz
does he?
Yes.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2015, 02:14 PM
This guy gets it...

I thought it was meant to be taken as a comedic post as well just so you don't feel lonely in that one. GATW is just chipping at you.

clenz
November 3rd, 2015, 02:23 PM
I thought it was meant to be taken as a comedic post as well just so you don't feel lonely in that one. GATW is just chipping at you.
This is generally how I view his posts...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3161/2795542153_a2429a6e01.jpg

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2015, 06:16 PM
What would have happened if one of them fell off the ladder and got hurt?!!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2015, 07:38 PM
What would have happened if one of them fell off the ladder and got hurt?!!

PSU would have scored on us again.

mvemjsunpx
November 3rd, 2015, 10:16 PM
I did all those things you siad. Some I did a lot. I got caught for some and some I got away with. I learned some lessons from myself and some from society's strong arm. I wouldn't trade your experience for mine.

The deal is I know the flip side of the coin and you don't seem to. I think that benefits me, the experience benefits me now even though it did not necessarily at the time.

It's fine if you stayed constantly within the lines. Good enough, others did some things that young drunk dip****s do and now can see things differently is probably why you don't line up directly with everyone. Not a big deal.

I think's Clenz's point is a good one, though. There seems to be a societal bias (especially in recent years) toward people learning from their mistakes as being more valuable than people having the foresight not to make those mistakes in the first place.

This also goes along with the general bias toward "experience" being the only way to learn things ("if you haven't experienced it, how can you possibly know anything about it?"), as if reason and logic don't exist… but that's a larger issue for another time.

Thumper 76
November 3rd, 2015, 10:25 PM
Too bad. Looks like some college kids drinking and being dumb. I may know of a person who wandered past a construction zone in the middle of campus, found a skid steer with keys in it and went tooling around for a bit with it. For his sake thankful he didn't get caught and nothing was damaged, but drunk college kids do dumb stuff.

Tribal
November 4th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Consuming too much alcohol doesn't grant you immunity when you break the law under the influence of said alcohol. It's not an excuse.

I also agree that young people do stupid things. This is the first time they've been away from home and they're obviously not ready to be left unsupervised. That's a lot of college kids, only these kids got caught and they're paying for it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bisonator
November 4th, 2015, 11:27 AM

How is putting up a ladder to enter a building "by mistake"? Are you implying that these guys live in a place without stairs, and have to access their living quarters via 10-foot metal ladder?

I wasn't exactly talking about this case when I posted that, just a general statement. Again I don't know exactly what these guys were doing there and neither do you. If they didn't steal anything or vandalize anything what exactly is the criminal intent aside from just trespassing?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2015, 08:13 PM
I think's Clenz's point is a good one, though. There seems to be a societal bias (especially in recent years) toward people learning from their mistakes as being more valuable than people having the foresight not to make those mistakes in the first place.

This also goes along with the general bias toward "experience" being the only way to learn things ("if you haven't experienced it, how can you possibly know anything about it?"), as if reason and logic don't exist… but that's a larger issue for another time.

I don't buy this at all. People don't see kids making nearly as many mistakes in the legal sense as we used to. Crime rates are very low among young folks, well among all folks compared to years back so if a mistake is made then having the wisdom to see that one can learn and be better from these things is what a hopeful person does. A cynical person has a differing view of course.

A person can do more good in his life by trying to atone than one that has never made mistakes would be prone to do. If you screw up and feel bad you spend the rest of your life trying to make sure you make up for it.

All that aside, you are definitely better off not making the mistakes.:)

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2015, 08:15 PM
I wasn't exactly talking about this case when I posted that, just a general statement. Again I don't know exactly what these guys were doing there and neither do you. If they didn't steal anything or vandalize anything what exactly is the criminal intent aside from just trespassing?

They are charged with misdemeanor trespassing according to the news tonight. Minimum missing a game in case anyone cares but nothing from Stitt or AD on the matter. That is just the guideline in the Student Conduct Manual apparently.

Bisonator
November 4th, 2015, 08:23 PM
They are charged with misdemeanor trespassing according to the news tonight. Minimum missing a game in case anyone cares but nothing from Stitt or AD on the matter. That is just the guideline in the Student Conduct Manual apparently.

So another case of people flying off the handle from an initial media report? Who would have thought.....

And no I'm not saying what they did is OK just wish people would stop the pitch fork brigade until the legal process plays out. Way too many holier then thous now days. Glad I grew up without social media.

JayJ79
November 4th, 2015, 09:10 PM

One game seems fair, IMO.
then again, I think the same thing about the SIU guys (if all they're guilty of is pot possession), though I'm sure they'll face stiffer penalties.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2015, 09:24 PM
One game seems fair, IMO.
then again, I think the same thing about the SIU guys (if all they're guilty of is pot possession), though I'm sure they'll face stiffer penalties.

That is the conduct code recommendation if I heard it right and it will be interesting to see what Stitt doesncuz last night he mentioned what sounded like them for sure being done for the upcoming game but couldn't get a read if he meant one game or more but he didn't know what the charges would end up being at that time so who knows.

wapiti
November 6th, 2015, 09:34 AM
In a news article today.
"Prosecutors say police arrived to find the five in possession of a 24-pack of beer that was stolen from the garage."

So it was more than just trespassing. It was theft.
http://www.kbzk.com/story/30437944/5-um-students-charged-with-misdemeanor-trespassing
But they are only being charged with trespassing.

Grizalltheway
November 6th, 2015, 09:58 AM
In a news article today.
"Prosecutors say police arrived to find the five in possession of a 24-pack of beer that was stolen from the garage."

http://www.kbzk.com/story/30437944/5-um-students-charged-with-misdemeanor-trespassing

The one who actually stole the beer was charged with theft.

veinup
November 6th, 2015, 09:59 AM
In a news article today.

if true, that is some highschool ****, and sometimes fatal in montana to boot.

Grizzlies82
November 6th, 2015, 10:00 AM
In a news article today.

While "the five may have been in possession of a 24 pack" when police arrived, according to a Billings newspaper account the beer was taken by one of the other students (not one of the football players), and he was charged for both trespassing and for taking the beer.

Though who knows since the previous news accounts have been all over the map. Initially they made it sound like a violent, kicking in the door, break-in burglary of an occupied home, then it turns out to be simply entering a vacant building under construction which was next to the occupied home. With this in mind it, the truth is that it probably was cases of alcohol, guns and gold, stolen with a hushed up homicide on the side.

THE DANIMAL
November 6th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Supposedly the 3 players will be suspended for this weekends game then be reinstated to the team. This is not an actual fact right now but someone very close to the program has reported this news this morning. Not sure if a I agree or disagree with the one game suspension or not even if this true. Either way go Griz. Lets win these next 3 games and gives us a shot at the playoffs.

mvemjsunpx
November 6th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Supposedly the 3 players will be suspended for this weekends game then be reinstated to the team. This is not an actual fact right now but someone very close to the program has reported this news this morning. Not sure if a I agree or disagree with the one game suspension or not even if this true. Either way go Griz. Lets win these next 3 games and gives us a shot at the playoffs.

I assume you're getting this from Peter Christian's (Griz PA announcer) eGriz post?

This outcome makes sense, though it might be irrelevant in Counts's case since he hasn't played in weeks. KVA and Schmaing don't have to suffer the humiliation of being suspended for Senior Day.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Seems kind of similar to NDSU's petition-gate in 2012. Pretty small non-violent crimes by a legal standard but stupid as **** by a common sense standard. NDSU ended up suspending one of the guys involved in that 1 game (he had a prior incident as well) and the rest received no suspensions but I'd venture to say there was some punishment levied in the privacy of practice. I think having an established coach and AD in their 10th year with the school kept most of those guys off the 1 game suspension list. Montana doesn't have that luxury with a first year coach and fairly new AD. I think a one-game suspension is plenty fair given the circumstances.

BisonBacker
November 6th, 2015, 10:33 AM

To Bad as Brock Spack and ISU Redbirds already had these guys lined up for campus tours at ISU xlolx

Bisonator
November 6th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Somebody stole a person's beer? Get a rope!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 6th, 2015, 11:34 AM
It's some drunken mischief for sure. It is something I did in 7th or 8th grade so yes it is on the lower end of reasoned decision making.

Just not something I can get overly vapored up about.

Bisonator
November 6th, 2015, 12:24 PM
It's some drunken mischief for sure. It is something I did in 7th or 8th grade so yes it is on the lower end of reasoned decision making.

Unless it was your beer!xlolx

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Unless it was your beer!xlolx

Unless it was like Busch, Miller, Bud (Light), or PBR, then I'd hope they steal that from me. Then again, I'd never by that swill.

veinup
November 6th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Unless it was like Busch, Miller, Bud (Light), or PBR, then I'd hope they steal that from me. Then again, I'd never by that swill.

xdrunkyx

JALMOND
November 7th, 2015, 10:27 AM
So all this fuss about college kids stealing a 24-pack of beer?

Following this from afar, however, I am reminded of what my coach at Rocky Mountain College said after the first day of practice my senior year (the coach's first year). "You all are representatives of this college and this football program. People will pay more attention to what you do on the field as well as off the field, than what someone in the biology department does. Your actions will dictate how people on the outside view Rocky Mountain College football and Rocky Mountain College as a whole. Also, keep in mind that playing college football at any level is a privilege, not a right. Try to keep that in mind when your friends want to go off and do something stupid."

Grizalltheway
November 7th, 2015, 11:41 AM
So all this fuss about college kids stealing a 24-pack of beer?

Following this from afar, however, I am reminded of what my coach at Rocky Mountain College said after the first day of practice my senior year (the coach's first year). "You all are representatives of this college and this football program. People will pay more attention to what you do on the field as well as off the field, than what someone in the biology department does. Your actions will dictate how people on the outside view Rocky Mountain College football and Rocky Mountain College as a whole. Also, keep in mind that playing college football at any level is a privilege, not a right. Try to keep that in mind when your friends want to go off and do something stupid."

I imagine Stitt and most college coaches tell their kids something similar, the problem is getting all of them to take it to heart.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2015, 01:01 PM

You vape, bro? xlolx