PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Playoff Contenders

SeattleBobcat
November 1st, 2015, 10:16 AM
Well my Bobcats season is done, but the BSC has been really interesting this year. I never would have thought I'd see the day when PSU was the cream of the crop of the Big Sky, but that's exactly what they are. So here's a look at who's still a contender.

PSU 7-1
PSU needs 1 more win to be playoff eligible, with 2 FBS wins they are the Cinderella story of the FCS in 2015. A victory next week at UNC should rubber stamp PSU into the 2015 playoffs, regardless of the outcomes with SUU and EWU. They wrap up the season at EWU, which will likely be for the BSC Championship and autobid.

EWU 6-2
EWU is on a 6 game winning streak, with more than a few nail biters in there. EWU hasn't been able to assert their past BSC dominance this year, but still they have found ways to get the win. EWU's remaining schedule vs Nau, @UM, vs PSU is a stiff one, but they will most likely come out of it 2-1. They need 1 win to punch their way into the playoffs, and that should be all it will take will EWU past domination even if they drop 2 more games.

SUU 6-2
SUU is another surprise of the BSC, they started 0-2 and now are on a 6 game winning streak completely dominating in their wins. SUU played 1 D2 team this year so they need 2 wins to be playoff eligible. SUU plays @MSU, @PSU, vs NAU another stiff finish, but I could see them picking up 2 of their last 3, but their backs are definitely against the wall.

NAU 5-3
NAU has been schizophrenic this but they're still in the hunt needed 2 more wins to qualify for the post season. they are @EWU, vs SAC, @SUU for their final 3, 2 wins is doable but it will be tough.

UND 5-4
UND hopes are still alive and need to win their last 2 games to qualify for the post season, which is very possible with a remaining schedule of vs UNC and @CP.

UM 4-4
UM needs to win out to qualify for the post season, with a remaining schedule of @ISU, vsEWU, and @MSU it looks highly unlikely.

Predictions
6 teams hopes are still alive, I say the Big Sky sends 4.
PSU wins out 10-1 autobid, Finals
EWU 9-3, second round
SUU 9-3, first round
UND 7-4, first round
NAU 6-5, no post season
UM 6-5, no post season

wmmii
November 1st, 2015, 10:49 AM
Predictions
6 teams hopes are still alive, I say the Big Sky sends 4.
PSU wins out 10-1 autobid, Finals
EWU 9-3, second round
SUU 9-3, first round
UND 7-4, first round
NAU 6-5, no post season
UM 6-5, no post season

Looks like a 3 bid league this year IMO.

RabidRabbit
November 1st, 2015, 11:11 AM
Actually, if UND finishes 7-4, and has FBS win + PSU win, and losses to NDSU, Weber, EWU, ?? - I guess that their chances are very good to get selected. Then, in play-offs - start with lower (non-seed) of SDSU/NDSU then fed to the other seeded.

Only if NDSU & SDSU get seeds do they miss both Dakota States. (get just one, if win first round (UNI?))

SUU is current undefeated in BSC play. If SUU wins out do they get a seed?

KPSUL
November 1st, 2015, 11:21 AM
Looks like a 3 bid league this year IMO.

You just predicted a 3 bid conference for the CAA in the Towson thread. If the Big Sky and the CAA only get three, where are the 24 playoff teams coming from?

RabidRabbit
November 1st, 2015, 11:23 AM
4 or 5 out of MVFC? :D

RabidRabbit
November 1st, 2015, 11:25 AM
Fordham and CCU have been placed into at-large unless something happens to front-runners Colgate and CSU.

SeattleBobcat
November 1st, 2015, 11:37 AM
Actually, if UND finishes 7-4, and has FBS win + PSU win, and losses to NDSU, Weber, EWU, ?? - I guess that their chances are very good to get selected. Then, in play-offs - start with lower (non-seed) of SDSU/NDSU then fed to the other seeded.

Only if NDSU & SDSU get seeds do they miss both Dakota States. (get just one, if win first round (UNI?))

This exactly why I think BSC will get 4 if it plays out like I think... But the BSC has done anything but play out how I thought it would this year.

SeattleBobcat
November 1st, 2015, 12:00 PM
The Griz chance of make the playoff went from slim to none after 3 players where arrested for burglary last night... 2 were starters.

centennial
November 1st, 2015, 12:08 PM
The Griz chance of make the playoff went from slim to none after 3 players where arrested for burglary last night... 2 were starters.

What??!

SeattleBobcat
November 1st, 2015, 12:14 PM
What??!
http://missoulian.com/news/local/three-griz-football-players-arrested-on-felony-burglary-charges/article_a62c4a19-5d68-5c3b-bca3-6e22683937ce.html

kalm
November 1st, 2015, 01:55 PM

Great point about UND, I had written them off after those three straight losses but they would definitely be in at 7-4 the two quality wins. They finish with UNC and at Poly so they have a decent chance at it too.

SUU would be a lock for a seed riding a 9 game winning streak with wins over PSU and NAU, and no bad losses.

JALMOND
November 1st, 2015, 03:01 PM

With PSU still playing both SUU and EWU, all three still control their own destiny. There has to be a winner between PSU/SUU as well as PSU/EWU, so whoever wins out will win the conference title.