PDA

View Full Version : Towson

bostonspider
November 1st, 2015, 10:11 AM
so Towson is now 5-3, 3-2. if they beat URI and Maine and lose to W&M, to finish 7-4, 5-3, do they make the playoffs as one of the last at larges?. Have not beaten anyone good and do have bad loss to Elon, but bubble seems weak this year.

Gangtackle11
November 1st, 2015, 10:13 AM
Yes.

KPSUL
November 1st, 2015, 10:28 AM
so Towson is now 5-3, 3-2. if they beat URI and Maine and lose to W&M, to finish 7-4, 5-3, do they make the playoffs as one of the last at larges?. Have not beaten anyone good and do have bad loss to Elon, but bubble seems weak this year.

The CAA gets 4 teams in the playoffs as long as all 4 have at least a 7 win season. After RU, W&M and JMU, Towson now has the inside track to make that happen.

Not to change the subject, but what happened against Albany @ Richmond ? I saw the Albany JMU game, and Albany looked competitive, but the wheels seem to fall off for them after. I know they had a bunch of injuries, have some of those guys returned? Or did Richmond still have their head in the clouds after beating JMU last week?

KPSUL
November 1st, 2015, 10:33 AM

The CAA gets 4 teams in the playoffs as long as all 4 have at least a 7 win season. After RU, W&M and JMU, Towson now has the inside track to make that happen.

Not to change the subject, but what happened against Albany @ Richmond ? I saw the Albany JMU game, and Albany looked competitive, but the wheels seem to fall off for them after. I know they had a bunch of injuries, have some of those guys returned? Or did Richmond still have their head in the clouds after beating JMU last week?

wmmii
November 1st, 2015, 10:37 AM

if Towson loses to Tribe they do not get bid IMO and CAA is three bid league, if they beat Tribe and win out then they are in and Tribe must beat Spiders to get their bid in final game. Hope Tribe takes care of business against both Elon and Towson so final game is for CAA champs and auto bid with top 8 seed!

Eight Legger
November 1st, 2015, 10:39 AM

It was 38-10 UR in the third quarter. Albany ran back a kickoff for a TD, then we turned it over right away and they scored another TD 2 plays later. Then it was a turnover battle back and forth after that. We got a little too overconfident and Albany had nothing to lose.

MacThor
November 1st, 2015, 11:30 AM
38-10 in the 3rd quarter is too early to start "trying to get guys some playing time" and coasting.

hktribefan
November 1st, 2015, 01:36 PM
7 wins out of the CAA gets in, doesn't matter who the wins or losses are. Soft bubble this year. Should be four CAA teams, the Virginia trio and whoever can get to 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy7171
November 1st, 2015, 02:26 PM
Sadly I don't see my Towson beating WM. Leaving them at 7-4. If the '12 TU team couldn't make it. Why would this one?

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2015, 02:53 PM
They hit my radar this week.

ElCid
November 1st, 2015, 03:17 PM
They hit my radar this week.

They hit mine last week. Got a bigger blip this week.

KPSUL
November 1st, 2015, 03:17 PM
Sadly I don't see my Towson beating WM. Leaving them at 7-4. If the '12 TU team couldn't make it. Why would this one?

1. There were only 20 teams in the playoffs in 2012. 2. You guys only played 11 games, two of which were FBS games. Had you played and beat a Patriot or Pioneer opponent instead of going into halftime playing evenly with LSU but then eventually losing, you would have got a playoff bid. 3. Finally, you really just got screwed by the selection committee, based on the fact that you had the same conference record as the team from the CAA selected over you (UNH) and beat them by 4 TDs in the last game of the season. I don't want to see Towson get screwed by the committee again.

BisonFan02
November 1st, 2015, 03:44 PM
I think they are probably going to need some help on the bubble, but with the way this year has gone so far....it is very possible they sneak in.

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2015, 03:49 PM
38-10 in the 3rd quarter is too early to start "trying to get guys some playing time" and coasting.
Harvard learned that lesson in a Penn game a couple years back.

RootinFerDukes
November 1st, 2015, 10:28 PM

Two first half TDs were a result of terrible calls by the refs that extended albany's scoring drive on what should've ended the drive. The kind of bad calls were even the commentators are trying to not call out the officials.
It was one of those "not as close as the score indicated" kind of games. Everett even publicly blasted the refs in the post game and the CAA issue him a fine. Small time BS.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 2nd, 2015, 06:55 AM
I still think a 7-4 CAA team gets in as the 4th CAA team. (along with JMU, UR and WM)
But at this point I'm not sure any of the three teams mathematically able to get to 7 wins will do it.
Going into last weekend I thought UD or Maine had the best shot and we all saw how that worked out.
Towson has the best shot needing to go 2-1 or better @Maine, @W&M and home v URI
UNH would need to win out Home v UR, @Albany and home v Maine
Villanova has the toughest road needing to win out @URI, home v Richmond and @ JMU.

Tiger93
November 2nd, 2015, 07:09 AM
Towson would have to win out to get in the NCAA Tournament and winning at Maine and William & Mary will be extremely difficult. As others have said, the Elon loss was an absolute killer. They lost just about every running back on their roster in that game, but if you want to be a tournament team you still have to find a way to win that one. They would be able to afford a loss if they had won that game.

Although in reality, they do not really have a quality win yet this year. We have beaten Stony Brook, Villanova and Delaware in consecutive weeks to spark this conversation, but at this point Delaware is 2-3 in the conference and 3-5 overall and Stony Brook is 1-5 and 2-5 overall. Even Villanova only has a 4-4 overall record.

The conference is not very good this year, and without a marquee win against William & Mary there is just not much going on with Towson's resume. That being said, it seems like that is the case around in the county in a lot of conferences. I will choose just to focus on the difficult task of winning at Maine this week since the Black Bears have been fairly though at home this season.

- - - Updated - - -

Towson would have to win out to get in the NCAA Tournament and winning at Maine and William & Mary will be extremely difficult. As others have said, the Elon loss was an absolute killer. They lost just about every running back on their roster in that game, but if you want to be a tournament team you still have to find a way to win that one. They would be able to afford a loss if they had won that game.

Although in reality, they do not really have a quality win yet this year. We have beaten Stony Brook, Villanova and Delaware in consecutive weeks to spark this conversation, but at this point Delaware is 2-3 in the conference and 3-5 overall and Stony Brook is 1-5 and 2-5 overall. Even Villanova only has a 4-4 overall record.

The conference is not very good this year, and without a marquee win against William & Mary there is just not much going on with Towson's resume. That being said, it seems like that is the case around in the county in a lot of conferences. I will choose just to focus on the difficult task of winning at Maine this week since the Black Bears have been fairly though at home this season.

LeadBolt
November 2nd, 2015, 08:28 AM
I think Towson gets in @ 7-4.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 2nd, 2015, 11:29 AM
Towson needs St. Francis to win the NEC.

WileECoyote06
November 2nd, 2015, 11:35 AM

Towson needs St. Francis to win the NEC.
This along with a win over William and Mary would help out tremendously.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
8-3 = absolutely in
7-4 = they would be sitting ahead 7-4 Holy Cross or 7-4 Lehigh and probably a second OVC or Southland at-large. Sleepless night but with a good chance
6-5 = no shot

UIWWildthing
November 2nd, 2015, 01:49 PM
I think if the Tigers win out they are in for sure at 8-3. If the Tigers win against Bill & Mary and URI then they most likely are in at 7-4. The W & M to me is the big one though, I think that's needed to get in.

Tiger93
November 2nd, 2015, 02:24 PM
If Towson is 7-4 I still believe it will need a lot of different things to break its way. William & Mary is the only quality win left on the schedule, and losing to either Maine or Rhode Island will only hurt from a selection committee standpoint. I think 8-3 obviously gets Towson in. Anything less and it will be less than a 50-50 shot. Our resume and conference just aren't very good. Richmond, William & Mary and James Madison are the only teams that are any good at this point. We already lost to JMU and don't get to play Richmond.

citdog
November 2nd, 2015, 03:03 PM
8-3 = absolutely in
7-4 = they would be sitting ahead 7-4 Holy Cross or 7-4 Lehigh and probably a second OVC or Southland at-large. Sleepless night but with a good chance
6-5 = no shot

neither of those crappy teams from the patsy league are getting in you delusional twit. you couldn't get in at 10-1 but you are at 7-4?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2015, 03:03 PM
neither of those crappy teams from the patsy league are getting in you delusional twit. you couldn't get in at 10-1 but you are at 7-4?

They're letting anyone in this year. Hell, even the Bulldogs have a chance.

centennial
November 2nd, 2015, 03:42 PM
They're letting anyone in this year. Hell, even the Bulldogs have a chance.
I disagree. 7-4 Lehigh has no chance, same for holy cross. Sagarin rates both these teams between 9 and 10th place MVFC, and around 7th place CAA. GPI rates Lehigh at 55th and Holy Cross at 48. Neither team has any business in the FCS playoffs. Maybe at 10-1 you had a chance.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2015, 03:46 PM
Sagarin... GPI...

xcoffeex

centennial
November 2nd, 2015, 03:51 PM
xcoffeex
Tell me what your problem with Sagarin is? Clearly you seem to think your subjective opinion is better than a system devised by a renowned statistician. Do you even understand the math behind how these ratings work?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2015, 03:59 PM
Tell me what your problem with Sagarin is? Clearly you seem to think your subjective opinion is better than a system devised by a renowned statistician. Do you even understand the math behind how these ratings work?

Do you feel that North Dakota State should be the No. 1 seed? Sagarin's formula determines it should be so.

Southern Illinois better than Eastern Washington?

I could continue.

DoubleH
November 2nd, 2015, 03:59 PM
Two other things to bear in mind: 1) The Villanova win could end up being a nice quality win if 'Nova can win at home vs Richmond or at JMU, or both; and 2) If both (and assuimg a win @ URI), Villanova can end up 7-4 with a better resume than Towson.

KPSUL
November 2nd, 2015, 04:22 PM
The only way the CAA doesn't get 4 teams in is if neither Towson, UNH nor NOVA gets to 7 wins. The only way Towson doesn't get in with 7 wins is if their one additional loss is to W&M AND NOVA or UNH win out. In that unkikely scenario either UNH or NOVA would likely get the bid over Towson because they would have the better CAA win, in fact NOVA would have two in a row and would get the bid in the absurdly unlikely scenario of all three finishing 7-4.

centennial
November 2nd, 2015, 04:28 PM
Do you feel that North Dakota State should be the No. 1 seed? Sagarin's formula determines it should be so.

I could continue.
Sagarin predicts the correct results about 80% of the time. Do I think NDSU could be number 1, yes, could SIU beat EWU, also yes. Does Lehigh belong in the top 25 teams in the country? No, and it isn't close.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2015, 04:37 PM
The only way the CAA doesn't get 4 teams in is if neither Towson, UNH nor NOVA gets to 7 wins. The only way Towson doesn't get in with 7 wins is if their one additional loss is to W&M AND NOVA or UNH win out. In that unkikely scenario either UNH or NOVA would likely get the bid over Towson because they would have the better CAA win, in fact NOVA would have two in a row and would get the bid in the absurdly unlikely scenario of all three finishing 7-4.

If Nova or UNH win out I think either team would make it in at 7-4 over Towson. But that means either Nova or UNH would have beaten Richmond.

I just think a 7-4 Towson team might need some help to get in anyway. For example, there's no way they make it in over a 9-2 Fordham team with a win over Army.

KPSUL
November 2nd, 2015, 04:40 PM
Sagarin predicts the correct results about 80% of the time. Do I think NDSU could be number 1, yes, could SIU beat EWU, also yes. Does Lehigh belong in the top 25 teams in the country? No, and it isn't close.

I don't need a statistician to tell me Lehigh doesn't belong in the poll now or deserve an at-large bid later. Their only chance to make the playoff is to win out and trounce Colgate in the process. Then the auto-bid would go to a tie breaker which in the Patriot probably is some complicated algorithm factoring team composite SATs, age of the campus bell tower and the number of close losses to Ivy League teams.

centennial
November 2nd, 2015, 04:42 PM
I don't need a statistician to tell me Lehigh doesn't belong in the poll now or deserve an at-large bid later. Their only chance to make the playoff is to win out and trounce Colgate in the process. Then the auto-bid would go to a tie breaker which in the Patriot probably is some complicated algorithm factoring team composite SATs, age of the campus bell tower and the number of close losses to Ivy League teams.
Agreed. Only way I see Lehigh make it is the auto-bid.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 2nd, 2015, 04:49 PM

Lehigh would be up for discussion at 7-4 given the relative weakness of the last 2-3 teams in a 24 team playoff. I highly doubt they would actually make it unless they have 3 dominant wins and there's some serious chaos. Up for debate Yes, Reasonable Chance to make it, No. I'm simply praying for 6-5 and a win over Lafayette. That should set the stage for a next year....

I think a 7-4 Holy Cross would be interesting but they lost to Towson early in the year. The Crusaders had their chances in that game.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2015, 04:54 PM
Lehigh would be up for discussion at 7-4 given the relative weakness of the last 2-3 teams in a 24 team playoff. I highly doubt they would actually make it unless the have 3 dominant wins there's some serious chaos. Up for debate Yes, Reasonable Chance to make it, No. I'm simply praying for 6-5 and a win over Lafayette. That should set the stage for a next year....

I think a 7-4 Holy Cross would be interesting but they lost to Towson early in the year. The Crusaders had their chances in that game.

This. Hence my statement, "Towson sits in front of Holy Cross at 7-4."

BisonTru
November 2nd, 2015, 04:54 PM

I could continue.

The problem with computer rankings is they don't come with preconceived notions, like .500 or below teams can't possibly be in the top 25, or 8 of the top 25 teams in the country couldn't reside in one conference, or Ivy league teams couldn't possibly be top 20 because they don't participate in the playoffs.

They should be discounted because the statements above absolutely couldn't be false.

ngineer
November 2nd, 2015, 07:22 PM
I got the Tigers #20 in my poll. Other than stubbing their toe with Elon, they have shown to be very competitive this year.