PDA

View Full Version : ESPN3

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2015, 08:27 AM
I am so thankful I can watch my Mocs on ESPN3 when I can not make it to the game, but really....Where do they dig up these announcers?

Corey Miller is awful.
1. He knows very little about the offensive side of the game. When a play brings up 2nd and 2, it wasn't "blown up by the D!"
2. Lax-a-daisy-ah-kul, and the 14 others he made up, are not words....
3. When Craine busted through the line and got 18 yards after contact, he stated, "That's the kinda gettin runned over that gets you joked at the family reunion, all yo cousins, Ray Ray, and ere'body!"

I guess the upside was...it was a comedy routine to make a boring game a little more interesting.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2015, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the reminder that I can watch the game this morning. :)

catamount man
November 1st, 2015, 08:35 AM
You should've heard Corey when he and Todd Ellis used to call the South Carolina replays during the Lou Holtz era. Ugh! He's gotten better which isn't saying a whole lot. I wish Darren Goldwater and Doug Chapman were still the SoCon ESPN3 announcers.

CHIP72
November 1st, 2015, 08:46 AM
Was the game an ESPN production, or a game where some other entity produced the game and ESPN picked up the game for a streaming broadcast? (There are a number of games I watch on ESPN3, such as Lafayette's games, where ESPN merely picks up a broadcast produced by another group.)

UncleBuck
November 1st, 2015, 08:56 AM
ESPN3 usually picks up someone's feed. So whatever local crap announcers are doing the game, you get them.

But at least you get to see the game, which I appreciate, and can check out other teams, for 30 days,

Especially during the playoffs.

Professor Chaos
November 1st, 2015, 08:58 AM
I am so thankful I can watch my Mocs on ESPN3 when I can not make it to the game, but really....Where do they dig up these announcers?

Corey Miller is awful.
1. He knows very little about the offensive side of the game. When a play brings up 2nd and 2, it wasn't "blown up by the D!"
2. Lax-a-daisy-ah-kul, and the 14 others he made up, are not words....
3. When Craine busted through the line and got 18 yards after contact, he stated, "That's the kinda gettin runned over that gets you joked at the family reunion, all yo cousins, Ray Ray, and ere'body!"

I guess the upside was...it was a comedy routine to make a boring game a little more interesting.
Sounds like he's trying to be like Stuart Scott... except with a tiny fraction of the on air talent.

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2015, 09:05 AM
Was the game an ESPN production, or a game where some other entity produced the game and ESPN picked up the game for a streaming broadcast? (There are a number of games I watch on ESPN3, such as Lafayette's games, where ESPN merely picks up a broadcast produced by another group.)

I'm pretty sure SoCon Digital doesn't stream on ESPN3 and they weren't the home team (Mocs) regular guys....so I'm about 80% sure it was an ESPN gig.

CHIP72
November 1st, 2015, 09:26 AM
I'm pretty sure SoCon Digital doesn't stream on ESPN3 and they weren't the home team (Mocs) regular guys....so I'm about 80% sure it was an ESPN gig.

If the broadcast had ESPN graphics (i.e. like the score box in the corner of the screen), then it was an ESPN broadcast, otherwise it was not. ESPN's streaming-only broadcasts look just like their TV broadcasts; they just aren't on TV.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2015, 09:33 AM
I work for Mocsvision/SoCon Digital...this was an ESPN3 broadcast. All Mocsvision was responsible for yesterday was the video board production.

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2015, 09:52 AM
I work for Mocsvision/SoCon Digital...this was an ESPN3 broadcast. All Mocsvision was responsible for yesterday was the video board production.

I was pretty sure it was, but wasn't willing to commit to it.

I've been impressed with the level of of the SCD this year, given the budget, they have done a good job with what they have. I may be a bit biased, but I feel like JR does a great job too.

I grew up in a broadcasting family, helping my dad do his charts at our kitchen table for SWC and SEC as far back as I can remember....so, maybe I hold Color Analyst to a different standard. The Play-by-Play should paint the picture of the game and the color should add to the back story....Corey knew very little about either team.

Mocs123
November 1st, 2015, 10:04 AM
I to am thankful for the ESPN 3 broadcasts. I have watched all of the Mocs away games this year.

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2015, 10:20 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm super thankful I can follow my team....especially since I'm 4 hours away. I guess with all the streaming games going on, the talent level of announcers is extremely watered down. Next time, I'll watch the stream and listen to Jim Reynolds. (timing may be a bit off, but...)

skinny_uncle
November 1st, 2015, 10:23 AM
ESPN3 carries virtually all the Valley games. I am glad to be able to watch them and would enjoy them more if we were winning.

ST_Lawson
November 1st, 2015, 12:08 PM
ESPN3 carries virtually all the Valley games. I am glad to be able to watch them and would enjoy them more if we were winning.

Same here. I'll get to watch my team get officially eliminated from playoff contention live and in HD on my TV.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2015, 12:09 PM
That is the way the SoCon is going...by next season, almost every football and basketball game will be on ESPN3 (it is a 4 year contract). Most of it is just getting all the schools up to HD/ESPN quality. We had a rep from ESPN at Chattanooga last spring showing us everything we need to sync up with them.

clenz
November 1st, 2015, 12:13 PM

Every event carried in a MVC arena is on ESPN 3.

Note that's the MVC notMVFC. Though every conference game will be on ESPN3 and 90 percent of OOC games that weren't TV were

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cats
November 1st, 2015, 12:49 PM
Congratulations to the Mocs on the win over the seemingly helpless Catamounts on Saturday. It was another beat down in Chattanooga.

Once again, we were only a pretender to challenge for a conference championship. Ain't happened in the last 39 years, and I don't see it on the horizen with all the seniors this team loses to graduation.

RollBirds
November 1st, 2015, 02:17 PM
I would assume most on here has a decent football IQ, does it bother anyone else when football color commentators blatantly have a 0 football IQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 1st, 2015, 03:08 PM
We always end up with the third string cameraman who can't follow the play or likes to show empty grass. Not sure how many plays I have missed because they were not ready. But I guess that has to do with the director as well. It was either Furman or Mercer game but instead of showing a FG kick they actually zoomed in on the cadets in the stands while the kick was going on. As to our commentators, ehh?

JayJ79
November 1st, 2015, 04:31 PM
Every event carried in a MVC arena is on ESPN 3.

This is false. Might be the case for MBB, but it isn't always the case for other sports.
For instance, I don't think any of Illinois State's home vb matches have been on ESPN3,
and a few weeks ago, UNI's home volleyball match wasn't carried on ESPN3 (b/c it overlapped the end of the football game and I'm guessing all the video production equipment was being used for football).