PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week Ten.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 1st, 2015, 07:29 AM
I was 4-1 last week with VMI giving me the impression that they are who I thought they were. It is now a two-team race for the title with Chattanooga knocking out Western Carolina. Here is where I have after this week (numbers in parentheses indicates number of wins needed to become eligible for at-large playoff bid):

1) Chattanooga (1 of 3) - Rumors of them being overrated have been greatly exaggerated.
2) The Citadel (1 of 3) - Survived a tough game against Mercer.
3) Western Carolina (3 of 3) - Got hammered by the Mocs again.
4) Furman (3 of 3) - Keeps hope of an at-large bid alive.
5) Wofford (OUT) - Brought the Keydets down to earth.
6) Samford (OUT) - This season is a bust for them.
7) VMI (OUT) - Keydets got chewed up and spit out.
8) Mercer (OUT) - All of their losses have been by less than seven points.
ETSU (OUT) - Gets their first win since 2003.

Predictions
VMI @ The Citadel - Bulldogs retain possession of The Silver Shako.
Clark Atlanta @ Samford (Beatdown of the Week) - Bulldogs take out their frustration on Clark Atlanta.
Furman @ Western Carolina (Game of the Week) - Catamounts keep their playoff hopes alive.
Chattanooga @ Mercer - Mocs steamroll the Bears.
ETSU @ Robert Morris - Bucs come up short here.

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2015, 07:52 AM
Western Carolina vs. Furman is a big one. Winner keeps post season hopes alive. Loser starts worrying about next year.

If Furman shows up in Cullowhee doing what they did in the second half against Samford, I like the Paladins.

catamount man
November 1st, 2015, 07:56 AM
Western Carolina vs. Furman is a big one. Winner keeps post season hopes alive. Loser starts worrying about next year.

If Furman shows up in Cullowhee doing what they did in the second half against Samford, I like the Paladins.

It's gonna be one of those good ole Waters-Sheridan battles from the 1980s. The two 1983 games and the 1984 game in Gville spring to mind. GO CATS!

bonarae
November 1st, 2015, 07:57 AM
The Citadel
Samford
WCU
Chattanooga
Robert Morris

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2015, 07:57 AM
1 Chattanooga - finally put together a complete game.
2) The Citadel - all teams slip, but good ones still win those slip games, good game.
3) Furman - Never count out the Furple.
4) WCU - Spier has them where they should be. They are a solid team, about a year away.
5) Wofford - solid win yesterday.
6) VMI - This is a team that can hang with anybody for 3 quarters.
7) Samford - What happened????
8) Mercer - we aren't playing horseshoes, you have to actually win a SoCon game to get off the bottom.

Chattanooga 31 Mercer 10
Citadel 38 VMI 35
Furman 28 WCU 27
Samford 52 Clark Atlanta 7
Wofford 0

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2015, 09:12 AM
“Nothing good came out of this ballgame. We got our butts kicked today.” - Mark Spier

LarryBoy
November 1st, 2015, 09:35 AM
I love the optimism, but I have a difficult time believing either Furman or WCU can hope for an at-large bid at 7-4 (assuming WCU doesn't pull of a miracle in College Station).

I'd be plenty happy with Furman winning their last three games. We need some momentum heading into the off-season, and a four game winning streak would be nice.

It should be a good game. The Catamounts have never been easy for the Paladins in the 'Whee.

OL FU
November 1st, 2015, 09:59 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. The Citadel
3. Western Carolina (lots of separate between the 1st two and everybody else. Maybe not game by game (See Citadel/Mercer) but certainly overall)
4. Wofford
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. VMI
8. Mercer

VMI @ The Citadel
Clark @ Samford
Furman @ WCU
Chattanooga @ Mercer

Mocs123
November 1st, 2015, 09:59 AM
Western is out of the playoff hunt unless they pull off a miracle at Texas A&M, but they are light years away from where they were a few years ago. They have a good team, but their schedule wasn't on their side this season.

Furman still has an outside shot at a playoff spot, but its probably a slight one. Of course I would have thought they had nothing but slight chance in 2013 and they surprised me by winning out and making the playoffs.

I think the SoCon will only get two teams in

OL FU
November 1st, 2015, 10:19 AM
It's gonna be one of those good ole Waters-Sheridan battles from the 1980s. The two 1983 games and the 1984 game in Gville spring to mind. GO CATS!

I realize that you may have posted this because of who the winner in those games was but, in those days WCU and FU were two of the best teams in the country. I don't think it is a valid comparisonxsmhx

catamount man
November 1st, 2015, 10:31 AM
I realize that you may have posted this because of who the winner in those games was but, in those days WCU and FU were two of the best teams in the country. I don't think it is a valid comparisonxsmhx

Oh I remember. We're both a long way from those days. The tie in Cullowhee in 1983 forever sticks in Western's mind because it cost us the SoCon title since you guys played more conference games that year. That seminfinal game more than made up for it.xthumbsupx

Western's close wins in Gville in both 1984 and 1986 are legendary, but the tirade that Satterfield went on after the 86 game was still talked about in our tailgating circles for years. In 1985, you guys had just lost to Newberry and our students were giving the Paladins hell about it. That led to a 31-27 Paladin win. Unfortunately, this was about the time Coach Waters got diagnosed with ALS and our administration never caught on to the success of those 83 and 84 teams and Waters last two seasons were horrendous and ending with his removal as coach and unfortunate but expected death.

Western and Furman had some decent games in the 90s. WCU won three straight from 1992-94 but since Hodgin was fired after 96, we've beaten you three times. 1997, 2005 and 2014. Here's hoping this Saturday brings back some good 80s games memories but of course, I hope the purple that wins has gold with it and not white. LOL!

GO CATS!

CID1990
November 1st, 2015, 10:54 AM
Western is out of the playoff hunt unless they pull off a miracle at Texas A&M, but they are light years away from where they were a few years ago. They have a good team, but their schedule wasn't on their side this season.

Furman still has an outside shot at a playoff spot, but its probably a slight one. Of course I would have thought they had nothing but slight chance in 2013 and they surprised me by winning out and making the playoffs.

I think the SoCon will only get two teams in

If we beat VMI it will all be academic anyway.

I will assume a loss to UTC and USC. That would make us 7-4 and the ONLY 7-4 team in the SoCon with a prayer for an at large, and that isn't a given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catamount man
November 1st, 2015, 11:08 AM

I will assume a loss to UTC and USC. That would make us 7-4 and the ONLY 7-4 team in the SoCon with a prayer for an at large, and that isn't a given.

You guys have a good shot at South Carolina IMO. Just go to Columbia and take it to them.

BullDog85
November 1st, 2015, 12:38 PM
You guys have a good shot at South Carolina IMO. Just go to Columbia and take it to them.
It'll take a perfect game on our part ...and Godly intervention. South Carolina is not a lower tier SunBelch team.

The Cats
November 1st, 2015, 12:43 PM
1) Chattanooga
2) The Citadel
3) Furman
4) Western Carolina
5) Wofford
6) Samford
7) VMI
8) Mercer

Predictions
VMI @ The Citadel
Clark Atlanta @ Samford
Furman @ Western Carolina
Chattanooga @ Mercer

LarryBoy
November 1st, 2015, 02:06 PM
1) Chattanooga
2) The Citadel
3) Western Carolina
4) Furman
5) Wofford
6) Samford
7) Mercer
8) VMI

The Citadel 38, VMI 17
Warm up for the conference championship.

Samford 70, Clark Atlanta 9
The Bulldogs take out some frustration.

Western Carolina 27, Furman 20
There's some optimism in Greenville, but it's a cautious optimism. I think most Furman fans see us as an underdog going into this one, and I agree.

Chattanooga 28, Mercer 24
Mercer does what they do– play well and lose.

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2015, 02:14 PM

That's where I come to logger head. If Furman and Citadel are both 7-4, it would be an interesting decision. I can see pretty strong arguments for both.

ElCid
November 1st, 2015, 02:32 PM
Power Rankings
1. UTC: Mocs awaken from mediocre offensive output with a vengeance, 547 yds, while their D did what it does, 283 for Western
2. The Citadel: slight setbacks tarnish their domination of late; the turnover bug hit, and they lost the field position game; add that to Mercer's proclivity for keeping their games close and it was almost a disaster for the Dogs; the seriously bright spot was the D; they held Mercer, who had been averaging 466 yds a game, to only 235 yds and doubled the number of sacks that Mercer had endured all season with 4; but the O did their part as well, coming back nicely after spotting the Bears 10 early on
3. Wofford: may have awakened from their slumber; put the hit on the Keydets who continue to turn the ball over
4. Furman: Bounced back nicely this week and also overcame from being down 17-0 at half, that is impressive
5. WCU: Lost it; only held the ball 20 minutes; can't win if TOP is 2-1 against
6. Samford: it's not the talent, got to be a motivation problemxconfusedx
7. VMI: Everyone would love to start games like they did with a 99 yd TD return, but not if you lose
8. Mercer: They have to be disheartened at this pointxrotatehx

Predictions
VMI at The Citadel - (Co-game of the Week) The battle for the Silver Shako; all bets are off as the Keydets will be on their game; I hate to think what they can do if they do not turn the ball over; will the Dogs be looking ahead? No - 37-24
Clark Atlanta at Samford - Will Samford show up? Probably not, but it does not matter - 49-0
Furman at WCU - WCU has had some emotional ups and downs lately, like Furman; I wonder who comes more focused? - 28-26
UTC at Mercer - (Co-game of the Week) Every game with Mercer seems to be a trap game, but UTC should know this and take care of business - 36-13

The implications for both Co-games of the Week are obvious and high; if the Dogs and Mocs both come out unscathed (far from a gimme in both cases), then we have the setting for the Game of the Year the following week.

While it is obvious that UTC will get in the playoffs regardless of how they finish out. If they handle Mercer and the Dogs, they will obviously get a seed. If the Dogs take care of VMI, I believe they are in as well regardless of L's against UTC or USC. If we happen to lose by 50+ in both then maybe not, but that ain't going to happen. At 7-4 with two FBS losses and losses to a current top 5 team and a bubble top 10 team (depending on how Chuck South finishes), that stacks up as well as most. That said, if the Dogs happen to handle VMI and UTC, the UTC seed would probably be gone, depending on the rest of the field, unless they pull some sort of miracle at Tallahassee. If the Dogs happen to win out (not likely) then they are in line for a seed. But I am not anticipating a W in Chattanooga or Columbia. Not sandbagging. I just think UTC had got the emotional practice in the clutch games that we may be lacking at this point. But I would love to be proved wrong. And even though we may scare USC for a quarter or two, we would need to play flawless and they would need to stumble as well for us to have any hope.

ElCid
November 1st, 2015, 02:44 PM
That's where I come to logger head. If Furman and Citadel are both 7-4, it would be an interesting decision. I can see pretty strong arguments for both.

Assuming we ended up both 7-4, as is likely, it really will not be difficult. The SOS for both is just about the same. The head to head, played at Furman, will be the clincher.

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2015, 07:13 PM
Assuming we ended up both 7-4, as is likely, it really will not be difficult. The SOS for both is just about the same. The head to head, played at Furman, will be the clincher.

Sagarin has Furman's strength of schedule at 136, and the Citadels at 169. I don't know if that is about the same or not. Could be a bigger gap, could be smaller.

Furman has played an all scholarship schedule, which Citadel has not. Furman has a quality FCS ooc win, which Citadel does not (SC State). Furman beat a FBS team, which Citadel has not.

Citadel did win head to head, which certainly counts for plenty. Again, for an at large bid, I don't know whether any of that will matter.

ElCid
November 1st, 2015, 07:25 PM
Sagarin has Furman's strength of schedule at 136, and the Citadels at 169. I don't know if that is about the same or not. Could be a bigger gap, could be smaller.

Furman has played an all scholarship schedule, which Citadel has not. Furman has a quality FCS ooc win, which Citadel does not (SC State). Furman beat a FBS team, which Citadel has not.

Citadel did win head to head, which certainly counts for plenty. Again, for an at large bid, I don't know whether any of that will matter.

Actually the Sagarin has it at 132 and 166 as of today, for past opponents. But I was looking at the final estimated SOS per Massey. Ours will go up a lot. Yours will go down a little. Still depends on how all opponents do in that time frame so it is a moving target. But the estimated rank at season end is #16 for Furman and #18 for The Citadel. Pretty close and not bad for the SOCON in general.

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11605

OL FU
November 1st, 2015, 07:46 PM
Actually the Sagarin has it at 132 and 166 as of today, for past opponents. But I was looking at the final estimated SOS per Massey. Ours will go up a lot. Yours will go down a little. Still depends on how all opponents do in that time frame so it is a moving target. But the estimated rank at season end is #16 for Furman and #18 for The Citadel. Pretty close and not bad for the SOCON in general.

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11605
If we have identical records head to head, conference standings and rankings will matter a lot. You guys win that battle .

LarryBoy
November 1st, 2015, 08:15 PM
It's interesting that Sagarin has Wofford (155) and Samford (152) ranked higher than Furman (163), in spite of the fact that Furman has better records than both, has a higher SOS rating than both, and the head-to-head win over Samford. Sagarin weighs recent games more heavily, but even there, those teams don't compare favorably (even as bad as Furman was against UTC and El Cid).

Not that it matters. We're just fighting over table scraps down here.

ElCid
November 1st, 2015, 08:42 PM
It's interesting that Sagarin has Wofford (155) and Samford (152) ranked higher than Furman (163), in spite of the fact that Furman has better records than both, has a higher SOS rating than both, and the head-to-head win over Samford. Sagarin weighs recent games more heavily, but even there, those teams don't compare favorably (even as bad as Furman was against UTC and El Cid).

Not that it matters. We're just fighting over table scraps down here.

Sagarin is not the best. It does not even take all games into account, only Div I games are computed. The record shows up for all games but the rating for those games is not computed. While Samford, Furman or Wofford do not have any <Div I games yet (Samford has one), opponents and opponents of opponents might. Plus I just think Massey is more accurate. It has Furman 41, Wofford 44, and Samford 52 for FCS rank. Plus, while the UCF win is good in concept, they are a really bad FBS and ranked lower than Furman is and a hair above Ga St. I have tracked both Sagarin and Massey for picking winners and Massey is better by about 5% to date this year.

LarryBoy
November 1st, 2015, 09:08 PM
Sagarin is not the best. It does not even take all games into account, only Div I games are computed. The record shows up for all games but the rating for those games is not computed. While Samford, Furman or Wofford do not have any <Div I games yet (Samford has one), opponents and opponents of opponents might. Plus I just think Massey is more accurate. It has Furman 41, Wofford 44, and Samford 52 for FCS rank. Plus, while the UCF win is good in concept, they are a really bad FBS and ranked lower than Furman is and a hair above Ga St. I have tracked both Sagarin and Massey for picking winners and Massey is better by about 5% to date this year.

The 2015 UCF Knights would finish in the bottom half of the SoCon. This much is very clear now.

CID1990
November 1st, 2015, 10:46 PM
The head to head is pretty much all that would matter in this case.

Again, there is only one 7-4 SoCon team with a prayer at an at large bid. If we lose to VMI and Chatty the SoCon could be a one bid conference.

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2015, 05:20 AM
The head to head is pretty much all that would matter in this case.

Again, there is only one 7-4 SoCon team with a prayer at an at large bid. If we lose to VMI and Chatty the SoCon could be a one bid conference.

I think is the question: is head to head all that would matter? After the auto bid, I imagine that the selection committee could look at any team for any reason.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2015, 06:14 AM
I think is the question: is head to head all that would matter? After the auto bid, I imagine that the selection committee could look at any team for any reason.

Hate to side with the bad guys on this one.xbawlingx I don't think head to head is the only thing, but it is one of them. Take 2013. Where I think all the co-champions had 4 regular season losses ( I think). Furman got the auto bid, Samford beat Chattanooga and Chattanooga stayed home.

I think the other thing that makes it a little difficult is taking the FBS games into consideration. I think most people would now look at Central Florida as a much weaker opponent than Georgia Southern. If I was on the committee. I would look at the Citadel as 7-2 and look at Furman as 6-4. Additionally, If the Citadel is in second place in the conference and beat the third place team (Furman) , I think that seals the deal. xtwocentsx

Of course all this assumes we win our next three games, which, while doable, is still a rather large assumption.

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2015, 07:22 AM
Hate to side with the bad guys on this one.xbawlingx I don't think head to head is the only thing, but it is one of them. Take 2013. Where I think all the co-champions had 4 regular season losses ( I think). Furman got the auto bid, Samford beat Chattanooga and Chattanooga stayed home.

I think the other thing that makes it a little difficult is taking the FBS games into consideration. I think most people would now look at Central Florida as a much weaker opponent than Georgia Southern. If I was on the committee. I would look at the Citadel as 7-2 and look at Furman as 6-4. Additionally, If the Citadel is in second place in the conference and beat the third place team (Furman) , I think that seals the deal. xtwocentsx

Of course all this assumes we win our next three games, which, while doable, is still a rather large assumption.

I don't disagree with that. Of course, Furman beat UCF and Citadel decidedly did not beat Georgia Southern.

For the sake of argument, is it more impressive to beat an arguably weaker FBS opponent than get blown out by a better one? Is it more impressive to get hammered by Georgia Southern than beat Central Florida? Anyone can go down and get throttled by an FBS team.

CID1990
November 2nd, 2015, 07:25 AM

The only way it would be an interesting decision would be if the selection committee broke with all sense of reality and gave Furman an at large over The Citadel. It just isn't happening, and the SoCon isn't a 3 bid conference because there are too many claimants to the #3 spot regardless of overall records.

If the selection committee just absolutely positively has to scrape for another at large bid to give there are three or four other conferences they will look at before they consider dipping into the SoCon.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2015, 07:31 AM
I don't disagree with that. Of course, Furman beat UCF and Citadel decidedly did not beat Georgia Southern.

For the sake of argument, is it more impressive to beat an arguably weaker FBS opponent than get blown out by a better one? Is it more impressive to get hammered by Georgia Southern than beat Central Florida? Anyone can go down and get throttled by an FBS team.

IT is more impressive to win the head to head and finish higher in the conference.xembarrassedx So I don't think the other question comes into play.

Catamount87
November 2nd, 2015, 07:39 AM
Power Rankings
1. UTC - They showed what they can be when well motivated.
2. The Citadel - They continued to show they are focused and playing solid ball.
3. Western Carolina - Have learned how to win just not the "big" games yet.
4. Wofford - VMI was just what the Dr ordered to help confidence. A nice defensive effort against a strong offensive team.
5. Furman - Showed life in the 2nd half to get the job done.
6. Samford - The wheels on this bus are rather wobbly after the last two defensive efforts.
7. VMI - 1 for 12 on 3rd down, ouch.
8. Mercer - Ugh, once again close but not cigar.

Predictions
VMI @ The Citadel - The dogs just keep getting it done with 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
Clark @ Samford - Samford gets back on track with an offensive outburst.
Furman @ WCU - Cats regroup and secure a winning season in a classic showdown
Chattanooga @ Mercer - A re-energized Mocs remember last year and get going early

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2015, 07:52 AM
Honest observation about Western Carolina.

I realize WCU is infinitely better than they have been, but a cursory look over the schedules suggest that in the last two seasons (and frankly, going back a long way to much worse teams) the only FCS team the Cats have beaten with a winning record at the time they played them was Mercer last year.

Is it a "big game" problem?

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2015, 08:00 AM
IT is more impressive to win the head to head and finish higher in the conference.xembarrassedx So I don't think the other question comes into play.

I'm not disputing that. I just don't think it is the sole and deciding factor.

Best bet for both teams is just to go out, win games, and see what happens. I think Furman should be pretty happy with a 7-4 season if we can get there. Not the gold standard, but after last year's debacle I think it would be a nice turnaround going forward.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2015, 08:20 AM
I'm not disputing that. I just don't think it is the sole and deciding factor.

Best bet for both teams is just to go out, win games, and see what happens. I think Furman should be pretty happy with a 7-4 season if we can get there. Not the gold standard, but after last year's debacle I think it would be a nice turnaround going forward.

I agree 100%

Smitty
November 2nd, 2015, 09:21 AM
Honest observation about Western Carolina.

I realize WCU is infinitely better than they have been, but a cursory look over the schedules suggest that in the last two seasons (and frankly, going back a long way to much worse teams) the only FCS team the Cats have beaten with a winning record at the time they played them was Mercer last year.

Is it a "big game" problem?

Probably, considering the 2 big games we lost last year were against Samford and UTC. This year the big games look to be Citadel and UTC again.

As for the past 2 seasons you can pretty much say that only Samford and UTC have beaten teams with winning records. You do have FU over Woff at the end of the season but that was I think the only one.

*There could be a mistake or I could have left somebody out just as a disclaimer

citdog
November 2nd, 2015, 02:31 PM

it's been a couple of weeks....WHO got "throttled" in Greenville again??

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2015, 02:37 PM
it's been a couple of weeks....WHO got "throttled" in Greenville again??

I already conceded that Citadel won head to head.

Besides, not my fault Furman's coaching staff lollygagged around with some spread option looking offense until deciding to scrap that and go back to the I-formation in the second half against Samford.

If I see anything other that a power run game against Western Carolina, I'm going to throw a chair.

walliver
November 2nd, 2015, 03:55 PM
Power Ratings:
1) Chattanooga - will be tough down the home stretch
2) The Citadel - To be the man you have to beat the man
... gap here ... the next few teams could go either way on any given Saturday
3a) WCU - gets this spot by default, but Cants still have to figure out how to win the big game, much like Chatty's situation 3-4 years ago.
3b) FU - I saw the second half of last weeks game and still can't figure out whether the Barney's stepped up or the Bulldogs stepped out.
3c) Wofford - team stepped up this week, but injuries will remain a problem for the rest of the year
6) VMI - better than they used to be, but not ready for prime time.
7) Samford - The rushed Hatch Attack offense in the second half last week looked incredibly disorganized and poorly coached. (I didn't see the first half).
8) Mercer - You have to win a game to move up.

9 ETSU - finally won a game. This team will struggle badly next year.

This week:
VMI at the Citadel - pundits always say you can throw out the record books in big rivalry games. My experience is that the better team usually wins. The Lowcountry pups won't have two trap games in a row and win 42-17
Clark Atlanta at Samford - CA may be a step up from College of Faith but this ain't much of a game. Samford by a whole bunch.
Furman at WCU - Must win game for each team to have even an outside chance of a playoff bid. It all depends on how the Cants deal with last weeks beat down. I'll pick the Horsey people 25-24
Chatty at Mercer - Should be the mismatch of the week, but the Bears keep it close for 2 1/2 quarters before Mocs pull away 31-20.

ETSU at Robert Morris - I assume Bob Mo is stronger than Warner and ETSU loses 31-24

Playoff Potential.
Chatty - most likely autobid. With a Citadel loss would still be a highly probable at large (barring a loss to Mercer).
The Citadel - still could win auto-bid, but most likely would get at-large bid. 7-4 SoCon teams have made the payoffs in the modern era. Wins over WCU and FU should get them first dibs.
FU - needs to win their next three, doable, but not guaranteed. At 7-4, would be definitely on the bubble, but unlikely to beat out the Citadel.
WCU - Needs to beat Texas A&M to get to 7 D-I wins. Very Unlikely

I suspect it is Chatty and The Citadel.
Furman's chances really depend on what else happens around the country. WCU needs a miracle, although a win over Texas A&M would be a game-changer.

ElCid
November 2nd, 2015, 05:15 PM
ETSU at Robert Morris - I assume Bob Mo is stronger than Warner and ETSU loses 31-24

Bob Mo, I like that. Not sure what happened to them. They started out like were making noise, losing close to Dayton (who really wants to be in the top 25), taking Youngstown St to OT, and losing by 3 scores to SDSU. Although the latter two were probably a bit lazy when they played them. They have been on the skids lately though. I still think you were generous to ETSU. More like 42-10.

I sure hope ETSU can get better quickly or our SOS is going to get hit bad.

CID1990
November 3rd, 2015, 09:05 AM
Bob Mo, I like that. Not sure what happened to them. They started out like were making noise, losing close to Dayton (who really wants to be in the top 25), taking Youngstown St to OT, and losing by 3 scores to SDSU. Although the latter two were probably a bit lazy when they played them. They have been on the skids lately though. I still think you were generous to ETSU. More like 42-10.

I sure hope ETSU can get better quickly or our SOS is going to get hit bad.

They will get better when Torbush leaves and Chadwell enters.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 3rd, 2015, 09:42 AM
They will get better when Torbush leaves and Chadwell enters.

And that would be my hope.

CID1990
November 3rd, 2015, 09:44 AM
And that would be my hope.

I think the job is his if he wants it but ETSU better not fiddle around or somebody else will grab him.

That said, it will be interesting to see how he recruits in the SoCon where APR is a concern (but not too sure where ETSU stacks up against the rest of the conference there)

walliver
November 3rd, 2015, 12:17 PM
I think the job is his if he wants it but ETSU better not fiddle around or somebody else will grab him.

That said, it will be interesting to see how he recruits in the SoCon where APR is a concern (but not too sure where ETSU stacks up against the rest of the conference there)

If I were ETSU, I wouldn't wait too long. If Willie Fritz continues to produce at Georgia Southern and moves up, Chadwell and Mike Houston would probably be tops on their list to replace him.

ETSUfan1
November 4th, 2015, 01:30 PM
If I were ETSU, I wouldn't wait too long. If Willie Fritz continues to produce at Georgia Southern and moves up, Chadwell and Mike Houston would probably be tops on their list to replace him.

In my opinion, ETSU will be better next year. Remember, we have redshirted almost everyone in our second class, and all we have playing this year are redshirt freshman who were recruited to play in a high school stadium knowing they were going to have to redshirt, and walkons. We will take some JuCo's next year and transfers. We may not be good enough to win a SoCon game next year, but I think we will be MUCH more competitive than we have been this year.

CID1990
November 4th, 2015, 02:46 PM

Barring a major meltdown I don't see GSU going back to the TO so I think we're safe for now where Houston is concerned

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Barring a major meltdown I don't see GSU going back to the TO so I think we're safe for now where Houston is concerned

I mean, they are currently running the option, they are just doing it out of the shotgun.

chattanoogamocs
November 4th, 2015, 05:24 PM
In my opinion, ETSU will be better next year.

It isn't possible to really be any worse...so yeah, I agree that ETSU will probably be better next year. ;)

Mocs123
November 4th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Chattanooga 31 - Mercer, keeps it close like always, but Chattanooga takes care of business
Mercer 21

VMI 28 - Cobb will keep it respectable, but the Bulldogs are just too much for the Keydets
The Citadel 38

Furman 24 - Game of the Week - I could see this game swinging either way. Furman has a great defense and perhaps their offense is finally finding their way.
Western Carolina 21

Clark Atlanta 7 - Beatdown of the week - Samford takes out their frustrations on Clark Atlanta (NCAA D2)
Samford 52

ETSU 7 - Beatdown of the week 2 - ETSU can’t play with a NEC squad….yet.
Robert Morris 42

1.) Chattanooga - Finally put together a complete game
2.) Citadel - Getting ready for a big showdown in Chattanooga
3.) Western Carolina - A good team
4.) Furman - Still has a chance for a good season
5.) Wofford - A solid team that will be dangerous when they are healthy
6.) Samford - I am not sure what is going on in Birmingham, but a team this talented shouldn’t be 6th.
7.) VMI - Much stronger team than last year
8.) Mercer - Playing tough with everyone, but just hasn’t closed the deal.
9.) ETSU

Smitty
November 5th, 2015, 08:07 AM
1) Chattanooga
2) The Citadel
3) Western Carolina
4) Furman
5) Wofford
6) Samford
7) VMI
8) Mercer

Predictions
VMI @ The Citadel
Clark Atlanta @ Samford
Furman @ Western Carolina
Chattanooga @ Mercer

BullDog85
November 5th, 2015, 06:24 PM
I mean, they are currently running the option, they are just doing it out of the shotgun. That would put Chadwell in the running. He basically runs the TO shotgun.

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Southern Conference Football Teams (number of players named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District Team (District 3 - NC, TN, VA & District 4 - AL, FL, GA, SC, PR))

1. Mercer (3)
1. Western Carolina (3)
3. The Citadel (2)
3. Wofford (2)
5. Furman (1)
5. Chattanooga (1)
7. VMI (0)
7. Samford (0)

http://www.cosida.com/documents/2015/11/5//2015_Acad_All_District_Football_teams.pdf?id=1660

CID1990
November 5th, 2015, 10:59 PM
I mean, they are currently running the option, they are just doing it out of the shotgun.

What they run is very different from Houston's coaching skill set.

Whatever it is called- spread option, read option - just because it has "option" in the name doesnt mean it is much like the triple option

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 7th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Congratulations to the at-least SoCon co-champion Citadel Bulldogs.

The Cats
November 7th, 2015, 08:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbUFXIcV37E

chattanoogamocs
November 7th, 2015, 10:33 PM
SoCon Scores

East Tennessee State 9
Robert Morris 21

VMI 14
The Citadel 35
(A: 14,925)

Clark Atlanta 0