PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown got sneak peek.....

Mountaineer#96
December 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Interesting article, I remember seeing some of YSU's coaches around.

NCAA DIVISION I-AA SEMIFINALS
Youngstown got sneak peek
Coaching staff invited to ASU last year to see how program is run
RON GREEN JR.
[email protected]
It's not entirely accurate to say that Youngstown State will be making its first visit to Appalachian State Saturday when the two football teams meet in the NCAA Division I-AA semifinals at 4 p.m.

It is true that the two programs, which have given I-AA football much of its identity the past decade, have never played each other.

However, several members of the Youngstown State coaching staff spent time in Boone last spring taking an in-depth look at how Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore and his staff run their program.

"We didn't go spy," said Youngstown State coach Jon Heacock, who did not make the trip to Boone but has developed a long-distance friendship with Moore in recent years.

It began a few years ago when Moore visited Youngstown State to look at the artificial turf that had been installed there. Appalachian State was in the process of changing the surface in Kidd Brewer Stadium, and Heacock gave Moore all access in his visit to Youngstown.

Last spring, Heacock sent several of his coaches to the North Carolina mountains to analyze what had made the Mountaineers so successful. The coaches sat in on staff meetings, discussed recruiting strategies and attended spring practice.

"Division I-A schools share ideas all the time," Heacock said. "I-AA schools don't seem to do that."

Moore and his staff have visited Florida and Iowa in the past to study their programs and welcomed the Youngstown State staff.

"It doesn't bother us a bit," Moore said.

Heacock already has offered the Appalachian State staff an invitation to visit next spring.

The Penguins' familiarity with the Mountaineers shouldn't be a significant factor in their semifinal game. When Heacock asked his staff what they learned from their visit, he was told, "They have great players."

There was a time, not long ago, when Youngstown State was a fixture in the I-AA playoffs. The Penguins have won four national championships and are 6-0 in national semifinal games.

However, most of their success came under Jim Tressel, now the coach of top-ranked Ohio State. Heacock's teams struggled initially, but the Penguins re-emerged as a national power this season.

The fourth-seed, Youngstown State is 11-2 and coming off a 28-21 quarterfinal victory against Illinois State in which the Penguins intercepted four passes. Running back Marcus Mason set a school record with 1,726 rushing yards this season for a team that relies heavily on the run.

The challenge will be making it work against an Appalachian State defense that is allowing 265 yards and 14 points per game in a stadium where the Mountaineers have won 26 consecutive games.

"They're the No. 1 team in the country for a reason," Heacock said.

GoGuins
December 8th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I heard JH talk about this in his presser this week. I hope they took a lot of notes last spring while they were in Boone:D

BrevardMountaineer03
December 8th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Interesting article, but I must say I appreciate the fact that the coaches are friendly. Again, I think a good game, but I think our O-Line will help us, plus, our speed will hurt them.
I remember an article in the early 90's after FSU beat Miami, the headline read "Speed Kills".....I still think that holds true today.

Mountaineer#96
December 8th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I would have to agree, and add you can only see so much on film.

As a former player:
watching hours of film helped, but only so much. I remember watching Hawaii on film back in '03, they didn't look all that fast, but in real life those boys were burners. The best thing you can pick up from film is certain things the guy your gonna line up in front of does in given situations.

As for YSU trying to pick up things on little #14, goodluck that little freshman is cool as the other side of the pillow. Take it from someone who played D.

Paladin1aa
December 8th, 2006, 01:20 PM
What Heacock DIDN'T say is YSU has talked with WVU where most of the ASU O is from. We defended Maine earlier without film or scouting in a 34-14 win vs the no-huddle option O. :D

Go Guins !! :thumbsup:

SoCon48
December 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Ours is not the option O. Look for a lot of passing.

GoGuins
December 8th, 2006, 01:28 PM
"Speed Kills"

I was sitting in front of some bozo at the '99 game against GSU and I swear I heard this about 100 times before I turned around and told him to shut his piehole:D

BTW-not trashing you for your comment, just it annoyed the hell out of me hearing it so much

GoGuins
December 8th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Ours is not the option O. Look for a lot of passing.

We're battle tested, bring it on:thumbsup:

Black and Gold Express
December 8th, 2006, 01:30 PM
What Heacock DIDN'T say is YSU has talked with WVU where most of the ASU O is from. We defended Maine earlier without film or scouting in a 34-14 win vs the no-huddle option O. :D

You still think Jackson's our top wideout and Richardson can't run up the middle right? Or have you figured out how poor your scouting abilities were then?

Spying Edwards. What a novel idea. Not one that every other I-AA team we have faced this year has done... Oh wait, yes it is. How's that worked out for them? 0-10 you say? Huh.

If I'm right, you're going to learn a hard lesson in what team speed is all about again. You may have flashbacks to '99 against the Eagles when they ran circles around you. Only we can actually pass the football as well.

SoCon48
December 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM
You still think Jackson's our top wideout and Richardson can't run up the middle right? Or have you figured out how poor your scouting abilities were then?

Spying Edwards. What a novel idea. Not one that every other I-AA team we have faced this year has done... Oh wait, yes it is. How's that worked out for them? 0-10 you say? Huh.

If I'm right, you're going to learn a hard lesson in what team speed is all about again. You may have flashbacks to '99 against the Eagles when they ran circles around you. Only we can actually pass the football as well.

Dayum!

Mountaineer#96
December 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Thank God we changed the calls and signals!!! As well as our checks at the line and O-lines calls.

penguinfan
December 8th, 2006, 01:42 PM

If we are right, you are going to learn a hard lesson as to what it is like to stop a rolling train with the #23 on it. There are many DL, LB and DBs that have learned that lesson already. :smiley_wi

Mountaineer#96
December 8th, 2006, 01:44 PM
my Dad can beat your Dad up :D

Paladin1aa
December 8th, 2006, 01:45 PM
We'll see !! :D

Watch the game. :thumbsup:

Mountaineer#96
December 8th, 2006, 01:46 PM
just to add something............. I think # 44 will be the diffrence maker.

Mountaineer#96
December 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM
We'll see !! :D

Watch the game. :thumbsup:
Are you a Furman fan or YSU .........or just want App to lose??

Paladin1aa
December 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Penguin Club member.

Paladin comes from the old Richard Boone character in the TV series .

SoCon48
December 8th, 2006, 02:23 PM
If we are right, you are going to learn a hard lesson as to what it is like to stop a rolling train with the #23 on it. There are many DL, LB and DBs that have learned that lesson already. :smiley_wi

Betcha he gets 15 yds less than his average.xcoffeex

GoGuins
December 8th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Betcha he gets 15 yds less than his average.xcoffeex

I'll take MM getting 141.9 yds (156.9 avg) considering how tough your D is. If he gets that much, most likely YSU wins IMO

FlyYtown
December 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM
If speed kills...... I don't think Mason ever got word of that one... He has ran over every defense this year when healthy, exception is the JMU game where he still had 75+ yards and 2 touchdowns...

December 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Hey Coulson, little Ronnie at the Charlotte Observer is stealing your stories again... Coulson wrote this one: http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82672

BrevardMountaineer03
December 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I was sitting in front of some bozo at the '99 game against GSU and I swear I heard this about 100 times before I turned around and told him to shut his piehole:D

BTW-not trashing you for your comment, just it annoyed the hell out of me hearing it so much

GoGuins,
No offense taken, but thanks.
Also, I did not mean for my comment to be brash or smack, ASU has some team speed and in college football, speed can kill...with that said, YSU didn't make the semis because they suck, they deserve to be here and it will be one heck of a game.
Good Luck to all and as always,

Go App!

james_lawfirm
December 8th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Now, fellas, can we stop all this chatter about lessons and just play some football?

SirApp
December 8th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Hey Coulson, little Ronnie at the Charlotte Observer is stealing your stories again... Coulson wrote this one: http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82672

You stole mah story!!

Hah, what a great movie.