PDA

View Full Version : #1 Coastal Carolina @ #19 Charleston Southern

SENOREIDA
October 28th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Big game in North Charleston @ 7pm Saturday. Big South crown will most likely be on the line.

Will Coastal continue the Big South FU tour? Will CSU get the last laugh?

knucklehead
October 28th, 2015, 06:53 PM
I say CSU walks away with this one at home. CCU hasn't been playing that great and hasn't played anyone that good yet. CSU looks really good.

ElCid
October 28th, 2015, 07:54 PM
I would love for them to bury Coastal.:D But I think you guys rise to the challenge, unfortunately. Probably close, 3-10 points.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 28th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I think I speak for most all FCS fans when I say, "kick their ass Chuck South!"

knucklehead
October 28th, 2015, 08:33 PM
I feel at home in this thread, #BEATCOASTAL

SENOREIDA
October 28th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Chuck South is keeping a rooster in a cage on their practice field this week. They say they're gonna "cage the chickens" and they will be "playing for some fried chicken"
http://counton2.com/2015/10/26/csu-climbs-to-no-19-in-fcs-coaches-poll-sets-up-showdown-with-no-1-coastal-on-saturday/

ElCid
October 28th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Chuck South is keeping a rooster in a cage on their practice field this week. They say they're gonna "cage the chickens" and they will be "playing for some fried chicken"
http://counton2.com/2015/10/26/csu-climbs-to-no-19-in-fcs-coaches-poll-sets-up-showdown-with-no-1-coastal-on-saturday/

Wonder if any voodoo going on with that? You could get PETA after them.xlolx

gotts
October 28th, 2015, 09:10 PM

Wonder why they're not saying "beat the cock" :D

Catamount87
October 29th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Wonder why they're not saying "beat the cock" :D

Wonder if any voodoo going on with that? You could get PETA after them.xlolx

Ah yes, the threads and posts that make us laugh. xlolx

The SoCon is cheering for Chuck South.

SENOREIDA
October 29th, 2015, 10:54 AM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/15108135.jpg

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2015, 11:23 AM
If you're a fan of a 7-4 team looking for an at-large bid, you want coastal to beat CSU to weaken the chance of the Big South being a 2-bid league this year.

Redbirdgrad
October 29th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Wow, that's... original. Haven't seen that phrase in a thread in at least a week or so... be careful though, people start taking offense around here and the conversation quickly turns to Caseys Pizza. :)

In all reality people will see Coastal is a fraud, and while a good team, they'll be exposed as they're actually playing someone this week and they can no longer hide behind a crappy strength of schedule for an inflated record. They're a top 25 team, but not anywhere near the top 5.

Charleston Southern by 10.

Bison56
October 29th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Wow, that's... original. Haven't seen that phrase in a thread in at least a week or so... be careful though, people start taking offense around here and the conversation quickly turns to Caseys Pizza. :)

In all reality people will see Coastal is a fraud, and while a good team, they'll be exposed as they're actually playing someone this week and they can no longer hide behind a crappy strength of schedule for an inflated record. They're a top 25 team, but not anywhere near the top 5.

You have a problem with Casey's pizza?xslapfightx

I am hoping this game shows how good or bad CCU is. Not sure if they have been just playing down, or they are not as good as I thought they were going to be.

dewey
October 29th, 2015, 11:35 AM
FYI...according to the AGS poll Coastal Carolina is #3 and Charleston Southern is #21.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?176425-AGS-Poll-Results-WEEK-8-2015

Coastal Carolina has to know that if it wants to stay at home they had better win out. A loss and they are probably one of the last seeded teams.

Dewey

Thumper 76
October 29th, 2015, 11:37 AM

I heard someone say Caseys Pizza. Do you need assistance in covering all the amazing qualities that are on display with each slice?

UNIFanSince1983
October 29th, 2015, 11:37 AM
CCU - 1954
CSU - 1964

Well that would say CCU wins by around a field goal.

If we go when CCU became independent in 1993 then CSU wins by 14.

Redbirdgrad
October 29th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Yeah, be careful about that #1 ranking in this title. Where I'm from you have to earn it first...

CSU18
October 29th, 2015, 12:14 PM
In an earlier post I said CSU in a close one. In all honesty, I think it WILL be close, but could go either way. My biggest concern is the fact that the last time the Beach Chickens came to CSU, we knocked them off. Doubtful they'll forget about that this year.

On another note....I do have a question. Hypothetically if CSU loses to Coastl in a close game, and manages to win out the rest of their conference games, that puts them at 7-1 against FCS. We beat DII North Greenville and lost to FBS Troy. Last game is at Bama, so we'll call it finishing 8-3 with 7 FCS wins and 2 FBS losses. If that scenario plays out, does CSU get an at large bid?

rokamortis
October 29th, 2015, 12:41 PM
FYI...according to the AGS poll Coastal Carolina is #3 and Charleston Southern is #21.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?176425-AGS-Poll-Results-WEEK-8-2015

Coastal Carolina has to know that if it wants to stay at home they had better win out. A loss and they are probably one of the last seeded teams.

Dewey

They should, but should have known last year for the Liberty game as well. Hopefully the loss last year and the loss at Charleston 2 years ago have gotten their attention.

I don't know if we truly are average or if we just are playing below our potential. I hope it is the latter. I think we have a good win over WIU but this is the biggest game for us all year. If we come out flat then it will b a long night for us.

rokamortis
October 29th, 2015, 12:43 PM
In an earlier post I said CSU in a close one. In all honesty, I think it WILL be close, but could go either way. My biggest concern is the fact that the last time the Beach Chickens came to CSU, we knocked them off. Doubtful they'll forget about that this year.

On another note....I do have a question. Hypothetically if CSU loses to Coastl in a close game, and manages to win out the rest of their conference games, that puts them at 7-1 against FCS. We beat DII North Greenville and lost to FBS Troy. Last game is at Bama, so we'll call it finishing 8-3 with 7 FCS wins and 2 FBS losses. If that scenario plays out, does CSU get an at large bid?

I think you guys would have a good shot at an at-large. Tough losses and a decent win. But you may be behind any 4 loss MVFC teams.

BisonTru
October 29th, 2015, 01:09 PM

Yes, with the parity in both the MVFC and Big Sky, it is very likely. But add one more loss, and you're out.

Your schedule playing 2 FBS opponents, a Div II team, and ETSU which is essentially DII maybe lower, makes it very difficult to make the playoffs. We and the committee really learn nothing from your OOC schedule.

Coastal's schedule is the polar opposite. Play all FCS games. Makes it very easy to get to 7 DI wins.

jmrepak
October 29th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Yes, with the parity in both the MVFC and Big Sky, it is very likely. But add one more loss, and you're out.

Your schedule playing 2 FBS opponents, a Div II team, and ETSU which is essentially DII maybe lower, makes it very difficult to make the playoffs. We and the committee really learn nothing from your OOC schedule.

Coastal's schedule is the polar opposite. Play all FCS games. Makes it very easy to get to 7 DI wins.
I think they would have a shot with this scenario if that Alabama game was earlier in the year. We all know they are going to get curb stomped in that game, but being that it occurs the day the selection committee meets it will be fresh in their minds, and will cause you to sit home with a marginal schedule. I believe they should get a shot at it with that scenario, but I don't think they will unfortunately.

Has CSU ever made it to the playoffs? I don't think so, and that doesn't exactly help either when you're on the bubble since you have no history there. I honestly think the Bucs are win or stay home for the next 3 games. Hopefully, our guys can help you get to your recliners a little faster xnodx

REALBird
October 29th, 2015, 01:48 PM
I think they would have a shot with this scenario if that Alabama game was earlier in the year. We all know they are going to get curb stomped in that game, but being that it occurs the day the selection committee meets it will be fresh in their minds, and will cause you to sit home with a marginal schedule. I believe they should get a shot at it with that scenario, but I don't think they will unfortunately.

Has CSU ever made it to the playoffs? I don't think so, and that doesn't exactly help either when you're on the bubble since you have no history there. I honestly think the Bucs are win or stay home for the next 3 games. Hopefully, our guys can help you get to your recliners a little faster xnodx

That Alabama game...........Wow! I'd be afraid of racking up injuries so close to the playoffs, but then again you guys are moving to FBS football.

rokamortis
October 29th, 2015, 01:54 PM
That Alabama game...........Wow! I'd be afraid of racking up injuries so close to the playoffs, but then again you guys are moving to FBS football.

Not sure I understand your comment. CSU plays Alabama to end the season. Coastal finishes with Liberty.

CSU18
October 29th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm afraid finishing 8-3 isn't enough for us to make the playoffs. Kind of screw ourselves playing 2 FBS games, but a program like CSU has to do it for the money. Playing 2 in a season is kind of damned if you do damned if you don't.

Hopefully it will be a non factor and we beat Coastal Saturday or lose close to Coastal and shock the world against Bama. Lol.

SENOREIDA
October 29th, 2015, 04:42 PM
I'm really surprised Citadel fans are rooting for Chuck South, especially after that little broom charade they pulled at Hagood earlier this year

ElCid
October 29th, 2015, 06:12 PM
I'm really surprised Citadel fans are rooting for Chuck South, especially after that little broom charade they pulled at Hagood earlier this year

It can only help put our loss in a better light if they whip your fannies. I will say this though, we were not ready for that game with CSU. Neither the players or the coaches. CSU is good, but I think were are better, especially now. Just on that day, the day it counted, we were not. I actually am sort of glad we did lose because I think it sparked something in the team. There was a little let down in that after beating WCU we faltered at Ga So badly. We were a bit slow and sloppy. So when CSU showed up I think there was emotional turmoil going on while at the same time they took CSU a little too lightly. And they needed to play all 60 minutes against CSU and they didn't. They have ever since. I think it turned out to be a timely wake up call. So yes, no offense, GO CSU, eat chicken nuggets!
xsmiley_wix

Southern Bison
October 29th, 2015, 08:44 PM
So who from AGS will be at the game?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CID1990
October 30th, 2015, 04:25 AM
If you're a fan of a 7-4 team looking for an at-large bid, you want coastal to beat CSU to weaken the chance of the Big South being a 2-bid league this year.

If The Citadel keeps winning I don't think Coastal beating CSU will affect CSU's shot at an at large all that much.

CID1990
October 30th, 2015, 04:30 AM

They're poor winners but I think any El Cid fans pulling for them has more to do with the possible playoff at large picture as was mentioned elsewhere.

Personally I think they are going to get a playoff bid regardless of the outcome of this game so I am largely neutral, maybe tilting a little bit towards CSU simply because CCU is moving up next year and it's always nice to send the future FBS teams off with a loss or two (see App State).

citdog
October 30th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Two meccas of the white trash South matched up against one another....What's not to like? Well except for the scabies one can catch in either Conway or North Charleston.

bodoyle
October 30th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Here's my write-up:

http://www.coastalfans.com/ccu-football-week-9-opponent-charleston-southern-buccaneers/

Beachdude
October 30th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Southern scabies beats Yankee scabies anyday.

dewey
October 31st, 2015, 11:45 AM
Here's my write-up:

http://www.coastalfans.com/ccu-football-week-9-opponent-charleston-southern-buccaneers/

Great write up! Congratulations to you and your wife on your first child and thankfully they are both healthy and at home now. You are correct that being a father really changes your perspective on things. I really enjoyed reading the 'Random' piece...well said.

Dewey

bodoyle
October 31st, 2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks Dew!

FargoBison
October 31st, 2015, 07:44 PM
CCU 15
CSU 27 Halftime

Biff
October 31st, 2015, 08:03 PM
Go Bucs!!!

(Of course my wife is a Bucs grad so I have little choice but to pull for them in this game)

jmrepak
October 31st, 2015, 08:16 PM
Err... Our defense is non existent and O is stagnant

Southern Bison
October 31st, 2015, 08:25 PM
I think the Coastal bus carrying the D got stuck in the receding flood waters.

FargoBison
October 31st, 2015, 08:34 PM
CCU 18
CSU 30 2:34 3rd QTR

jmrepak
October 31st, 2015, 08:35 PM
...and our 4 year starting QB is out. Our D has started to pull together a little on the last two drives, but with Ross out as well as two of our star WR's I don't know if we have the offensive weapons left to reel them back in.

Redbirdgrad
October 31st, 2015, 08:53 PM
Not sure why anyone would be surprised by the current score...

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2015, 08:57 PM
...and our 4 year starting QB is out. Our D has started to pull together a little on the last two drives, but with Ross out as well as two of our star WR's I don't know if we have the offensive weapons left to reel them back in.

I am confused, I am keeping up with stats online...ESPN has Ross as 20-28 for 215 yards.

REALBird
October 31st, 2015, 08:58 PM

Ross missed about two or three offensive plays, looks like he's back so if you lose Ross won't be the reason.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 31st, 2015, 08:59 PM
Glad to see Ross back in. He's a darn good QB..

Not surprised by the score. CSU is legit. CCU is good too but not at the same level as last year...

FargoBison
October 31st, 2015, 09:02 PM
CCU 25
CSU 33 9:03 4th QTR

REALBird
October 31st, 2015, 09:03 PM
Glad to see Ross back in. He's a darn good QB..

Not surprised by the score. CSU is legit. CCU is good too but not at the same level as last year...

2 missed FG and a DEF that can't stop Chuck South. Chuck South only one punt and that came in the second half. Time ran out at the end of the first half. Only two possessions they didn't score on.

jmrepak
October 31st, 2015, 09:13 PM
Our QB basically strapped on a gigantic pair and is toughing it out. Our D did their job and gave our offense a chance to tie it. We'll see how it goes

REALBird
October 31st, 2015, 09:27 PM
How much time, this drive is taking a lot of time or so it seems.

CasualFan
October 31st, 2015, 09:29 PM
30 seconds, CCU at the 8 ish, need to get to the 4 for a 1st. 4th down. Bucs by 8.

CasualFan
October 31st, 2015, 09:31 PM
Incomplete pass, one kneeldown away.

Redbirdgrad
October 31st, 2015, 09:32 PM
This was not an upset.

FargoBison
October 31st, 2015, 09:32 PM
CCU 25
CSU 33 FINAL

CasualFan
October 31st, 2015, 09:33 PM
Ballgame, Charleston South 33, Coastal 25.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 31st, 2015, 09:34 PM
This was not an upset.

I'm with you. CSU is darn good. I still think CCU could be a factor IF they take care of business. The Big South should be a 2 bid league....

Bisonator
Good thing I picked CSU! xnodx

centennial
Ballgame, Charleston South 33, Coastal 25.
There goes the number 1, IMO top 8 is a reach.

jsnow84
October 31st, 2015, 09:35 PM
CCU............................ exactly who we thought they were. Cupcake schedule= high ranking. Big hat, no cattle.

X-Factor
October 31st, 2015, 09:38 PM
There goes the number 1, IMO top 8 is a reach.
I didn't have CCU in the top 10, let alone anywhere near #1. Doubt I will drop them much at all with this loss either. They are who I thought they were. Good team, just not great.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 31st, 2015, 09:39 PM
CCU............................ exactly who we thought they were. Cupcake schedule= high ranking. Big hat, no cattle.

I don't agree with that. CCU returned quite a few starters from a really good team. They've been the hunted all year in a decent conference. The Chants finally fell on the road against a ranked team. It would be not shock me if the stepped up and did some damage in the playoffs. They have a darn good coach. They might not be a national title contender but they're still fringe Top 10 imo...

Redbirdgrad
October 31st, 2015, 09:43 PM
I didn't have CCU in the top 10, let alone anywhere near #1. Doubt I will drop them much at all with this loss either. They are who I thought they were. Good team, just not great.

This dude speaks the truth.

jmrepak
October 31st, 2015, 09:44 PM
Well. It finally caught up to us. Our season is far from over, but what a disappointment to lose to our second biggest nemesis in the conference. Hopefully they'll drop one to Liberty and we run the table. They would still get the auto, but we would still get in and probably still be seeded as Big South co-champs.

Time will tell

Redbirdgrad
October 31st, 2015, 09:44 PM

Just going to leave this right here by the way ;)

Southern Bison
October 31st, 2015, 09:48 PM
CCU's pass D was exposed tonight. Chuck was able to complete pass after pass without much opposition.

knucklehead
October 31st, 2015, 09:53 PM
So, after this result, if Liberty Wins out (beating Presby, CSU, and CSU) does the Big South get 3 in? I'm thinking no. LU needed CCU to win, but as I said all week, I knew CSU would win. Tired of CCU skating by with a patsy schedule year after year and knew it would catch up to them based on how they'd played recently. Either way LU needs to win out.

CasualFan
October 31st, 2015, 09:59 PM
So, after this result, if Liberty Wins out (beating Presby, CSU, and CSU) does the Big South get 3 in? I'm thinking no. LU needed CCU to win, but as I said all week, I knew CSU would win. Tired of CCU skating by with a patsy schedule year after year and knew it would catch up to them based on how they'd played recently. Either way LU needs to win out.
My opinion? No way the Big South gets 3. As a conference we haven't got that much respect.

jmrepak
October 31st, 2015, 10:11 PM
Coastal needs to win out to be seeded but we are still in with another loss. I don't see how Liberty gets in at this point though without the auto. CSU would have to lose out, and you would have to win out. That creates a 3 way tie that I believe gives you the tie breaker. If CSU wins next week though you guys are pretty much done in my opinion. If we lose two of the next 3 we may be in trouble too.

jsnow84
October 31st, 2015, 10:11 PM

Obviously you were spot on. CCU has always been ranked higher than they should be. Don't understand the attraction or why they are such media darlings. Well. we won't have to worry about them any more, they will be buried in the bottom half of the SBC for the next decade at least.

rokamortis
November 1st, 2015, 12:06 AM

Too bad you guys couldn't skate by your patsies.

rokamortis
November 1st, 2015, 12:08 AM
CSU was actually the favorite in this game according to Massey and the lines - it's nice to finally lose to them when it isn't a massive upset. We all knew that this game was going to be tough so not really surprised.

bodoyle
November 1st, 2015, 06:17 AM
CCU's pass D was exposed tonight. Chuck was able to complete pass after pass without much opposition.

You mean it isn't normal for a option team to pick apart a defense for over 250 through the air? LOL. Our pass D has been bad all year. Our secondary spends more time turning around and looking at eachother after plays than anything else.

catamount man
November 1st, 2015, 06:51 AM
Chadwell is just waiting for Torbush to leave Johnson City. Good win though.