PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-26

JALMOND
October 26th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Just when it seemed like the top spots in the Big Sky were going to end up being teams from outside the Big Sky Country of Montana, both the Grizzlies and the Bobcats said "Hold on!" and got some impressive wins to put themselves both near the top. Also, Northern Colorado deserves a mention as a team that no one thought had even the talent to compete this year and almost knocks off Eastern Washington. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only and all are open to discussion. Should be some good thought this week.

1. Southern Utah (2)---Last week won at UC-Davis 34-6, this week Cal Poly at home---Granted the Thunderbirds may be taking advantage of their schedule, but unlike others in the conference, they are thrashing the weaker teams. The questions everyone has will being to be answered down the stretch.

2. Portland State (3)---Last week, won at Cal Poly 38-35, this week Montana at home---The Vikings season continues to roll on. No one is sure what is more surprising, the fact that they are 6-1 or that they are a 2-point loss from being undefeated. Their brutal schedule continues this week.

3. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, won at Northern Colorado 43-41, this week Weber State at home---Scary. For a moment all was right for the mighty Eagles as they were putting the pipsqueak Bears back down. Then something terrible happened and they needed a field goal to salvage the win. That was just a dream, was it?

4. Montana (7)---Last week, beat North Dakota at home 42-16, this week at Portland State---Funny how great a win is. The Grizzlies starting their third quarterback, and getting a good solid performance to get back in the mix. Now they move on to some bigger fish to fry.

5. Montana State (6)---Last week, beat East Tennessee State (FCS Independent) 63-7, this week at North Dakota---So the Bobcats recovered nicely with a win and more important, a good strong defensive effort. However, while they have beaten everyone at home, they haven't got that one road win. Can the defense get one this week?

6. Northern Arizona (8)---Last week beat Weber State at home 52-36, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Lumberjacks also jumped out to a huge lead and watched it almost all go back, only to salvage the win with some late game heroics. No more nightmares this weekend.

7. Weber State (4)---Last week, lost at Northern Arizona 52-36, this week at Eastern Washington---The Wildcats dug themselves too big of a hole to try to get out of and consequently could not get back in the game. This week they hit the road again, hoping for a little better showing.

8. Cal Poly (5)---Last week, lost to Portland State at home 38-35, this week at Southern Utah---The Mustangs went toe-to-toe last week, knowing a loss would put them out of any playoff consideration and almost eked out the win. Now this week is the first chance they have at playing spoiler.

9. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week, lost to Eastern Washington at home 43-41, this week at Northern Arizona---There is no quit in this little Bears bunch. They had numerous opportunities to quit last week, yet still kept coming back. You do need talent to win, but the Bears will enjoy scaring the hell out of everyone.

10. North Dakota (9)---Last week, lost at Montana 42-16, this week Montana State at home---The Dakotans vote for a new nickname came about and maybe that is what distracted them. They struck first only to be punched in the mouth and never recovered. They need to be ready this weekend.

11. Sacramento State (13)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 38-13, this week bye---In basically a who cares game, the Hornets actually cared about it and got the win. They will take this week off and try to heal their many injuries.

12. Idaho State (11)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 38-13, this week bye---In basically a who cares game, the Bengals showed they really don't care anymore. Injuries and more injuries which means having a week off is probably a good thing.

13. UC-Davis (12)---Last week lost to Southern Utah at home 34-6, this week bye---The Aggies could not get anything rolling last week and in the process, got rolled themselves. They are taking this week up to heal and get healthy.

RECAP: 1-3 out front, 4-6 gaining, 7-8 falling, 9-10 trying to keep up, 11-13 off the pace.

mvemjsunpx
October 27th, 2015, 12:19 AM
Southern Utah #1? Um… no, just no. Not buying that one. The only real legit playoff contender they played beat them 55-10.

Are you really that reluctant to put your team on top because you're afraid of jinxing them? xchinscratchx

JALMOND
October 27th, 2015, 12:28 AM
Southern Utah #1? Um… no, just no. Not buying that one. The only real legit playoff contender they played beat them 55-10.

Are you really that reluctant to put your team on top because you're afraid of jinxing them? xchinscratchx

Southern Utah is doing what great teams do against the weaker teams. PSU lost to North Dakota and struggled against Cal Poly. EWU struggled against both Northern Colorado and Sacramento State. SUU hasn't struggled against any weak conference opponent. They just beat the socks off of them, which is what the better teams should be able to do. I have no problem putting them #1 this week.

slostang
October 27th, 2015, 12:36 AM
Cal Poly is 2 or three plays away from being in the top 2 or 3. Frustrating season for the Mustangs.

mvemjsunpx
October 27th, 2015, 02:18 AM
Southern Utah is doing what great teams do against the weaker teams. PSU lost to North Dakota and struggled against Cal Poly. EWU struggled against both Northern Colorado and Sacramento State. SUU hasn't struggled against any weak conference opponent. They just beat the socks off of them, which is what the better teams should be able to do. I have no problem putting them #1 this week.

Except, again, SUU lost to South Dakota State 55-10. The #1 in the Big Sky shouldn't be doing that, and I really can't believe Montana, EWU, or PSU would've let the Jackrabbits do that to them.

RabidRabbit
October 27th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Except, again, SUU lost to South Dakota State 55-10. The #1 in the Big Sky shouldn't be doing that, and I really can't believe Montana, EWU, or PSU would've let the Jackrabbits do that to them.
Likely to find out in playoffs if Jackrabbit would do that to other teams.

mvemjsunpx
October 27th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Likely to find out in playoffs if Jackrabbit would do that to other teams.

Well, Montana beat NDSU and NDSU beat SDSU easily, so there's some kind of evidence. xthumbsupx

SUUTbird
October 27th, 2015, 07:40 AM
So we have one bad loss and that means that dictates the entire season? That's very foolish logic to go off of and is by no means a foolproof method of judging a team. If we're going to go off that logic then how do you explain Montana beating NDSU but losing to Weber State at home, the team that we obliterated 44-0? We are a much better team since Week 2 and guaranteed the score would be so one sided if we face off again. Personally I would rank Portland State ahead of SUU but other than that the rankings are sound.

mvemjsunpx
October 27th, 2015, 07:44 AM
So we have one bad loss and that means that dictates the entire season? That's very foolish logic to go off of and is by no means a foolproof method of judging a team. If we're going to go off that logic then how do you explain Montana beating NDSU but losing to Weber State at home, the team that we obliterated 44-0? Personally I would rank Portland State ahead of SUU but other than that the rankings are sound.

I don't base a whole season on one game, but that's the ONLY game SUU has played against a legit FCS playoff contender so far.

SUUTbird
October 27th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Not FCS but we did play a good Utah State team really close, and were definitely a better team since we played in week 2. Not denying that this upcoming four game stretch will be the toughest we faced all season, however compared to how other teams have been performing in the conference right now we are still number #2, I have PSU ranked #1.

tomq04
October 27th, 2015, 09:00 AM
As with the last 3 weeks since North Texas, PSU is #1!!!

Go Viks!!! Ram this Cindarella season like she is going to turn into a pumpkin at midnight.

wapiti
October 27th, 2015, 09:01 AM
and now to list what each team needs to do to earn 7 Div 1 wins.

1. Southern Utah ---Win 3 of 4; CP, @MSU, @PSU, NAU

2. Portland State ---Win 2 of 4; UM, @NC, SU, @EWU

3. Eastern Washington ---Win 2 of 4; WSU, NAU, @UM, PSU

4. Montana --Win 3 of 4; @PSU, @ISU, EWU, @MSU

5. Montana State ---Win 4 of 4; @ND, SU, @ISU, UM

6. Northern Arizona ---Win 4 of 4; NC, @EWU, Sac, @SU

7. Weber State ---Win 3 of 3; @EWU, UCD, ISU

8. Cal Poly ---Out; @SU, Sac, @UCD, ND

9. Northern Colorado ---Win 4 of 4; @NAU, PSU, @ND, Abilene Christian

10. North Dakota ---Win 3 of 3; MSU, NC, @CP

11. Sacramento State ---Out; @CP, @NAU, UCD

12. Idaho State ---Out; UM, MSU, @WSU

13. UC-Davis ---Out; @WSU, CP, @Sac

veinup
October 27th, 2015, 09:53 AM
and now to list what each team needs to do to earn 7 Div 1 wins.

some tough sledding there .. i don't see UM winning 3 out of the 4. gonna be tough for SUU as well imo.

tomq04
October 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
If EWU wins out they will be a seed,
If PSU wins out they will be a seed, I think that if they lose only to EWU in Cheney they have a strong enough resume to be a seed as well.

Any other potential Big Sky seeds?

grizband
October 27th, 2015, 11:40 AM
If Montana wins out, they are 8-3, with potentially 4 top 25 wins. They could be in the discussion, depending on how everything shakes out

kalm
October 27th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Cal Poly is 2 or three plays away from being in the top 2 or 3. Frustrating season for the Mustangs.

I'd rank you 5 right now and maybe 4 on talent.

wapiti
October 27th, 2015, 02:29 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by wapiti http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2273596#post2273596) and now to list what each team needs to do to earn 7 Div 1 wins.

some tough sledding there .. i don't see UM winning 3 out of the 4. gonna be tough for SUU as well imo.

UM has 3 road games left and the one home games is against EWU. And road games are seldom easy for a win. (Just see EWU's game against NC)
PSU will be tough.
ISU should be a W
EWU will be tough, but being in Missoula is winnable.
MSU, with a very suspect defense, is winnable too.
So UM should get the 3 wins it needs.

dudeitsaid
October 27th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Not FCS but we did play a good Utah State team really close, and were definitely a better team since we played in week 2. Not denying that this upcoming four game stretch will be the toughest we faced all season, however compared to how other teams have been performing in the conference right now we are still number #2, I have PSU ranked #1.

Those final four games are about as tough as you can ask for to finish the season. If SUU is for real, you guys go at least 3-1. If not, you won't even be in the playoffs. I think Cal Poly will tell us a lot!

Red & Black
October 27th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Getting wins on the road is tough. EWU found that out playing 5 of their first 7 games on the road. Thankfully, playing 3 of our remaining 4 should help us out quite a bit.

SUUTbird
October 27th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Those final four games are about as tough as you can ask for to finish the season. If SUU is for real, you guys go at least 3-1. If not, you won't even be in the playoffs. I think Cal Poly will tell us a lot!

For sure, by no means am I expecting this to be a cakewalk. Our best chances of winning are against Cal Poly, NAU and MSU, we are going to have to rely on our defense in particular against the Bobcats and Mustangs.

cpalum
October 28th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I'd rank you 5 right now and maybe 4 on talent.

I'd rank Cal Poly about 8th best and maybe 2nd or 3rd as far as talent....which is why this has been by far the most disappointing year since 2009

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2015, 01:34 PM

They weren't as good then as they are playing now by any means. Sometimes you have a good team go and get embarassed, humbled, and flat out beat due to mental crap and just general low output on that day. Then they get a little tired of doing what they did and get better real quick and start playing at their potential a lot more. That sure as hell looks to be what happened to SUU. I think it is a toss up between PSU and SUU right now but SUU is playing hotter than anyone right now.

MTfan4life
November 1st, 2015, 01:20 AM
He doesn't seem that effective, but it's crazy how different UND plays with Studsrud at QB. It's fair to assume that UND might very well be at 7 wins right now had he not been out with an injury the past three games. It was clear they were almost helpless at QB against both Weber and Montana, and also after he went down against Idaho State.

biggame
November 1st, 2015, 09:07 AM
I think he does a good job getting UND into the correct run play at the LOS and his ability to run when needed is a huge difference. He couldn't run yesterday but he clearly made a difference in the run game in spite of that. He still has a lot of work to do in the passing game when making reads and getting the ball out on time but he certainly leads the team to win games.