PDA

View Full Version : Montana @ Portland State

Grizalltheway
October 26th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Another crucial game for the Griz, who need to win at least 3 of 4 to get to 7 DI wins.

The Vikings have surprised everyone, but despite two big FBS wins have looked human against teams like UND and Cal Poly.

Who ya got?

centennial
October 26th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Going with Portland State, hoping for Griz in case NDSU drops another game.

veinup
October 26th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I. WILL. BE. THERE.

bought tix yesterday.

GO GRIZ.

good opportunity for us to have a much needed statement game, tho my head says the vikings will prevail..

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I'm going with the Griz because it makes no sense. So that's what will happen.

veinup
October 27th, 2015, 02:10 PM
looks like a good chance of rain that day .. bummer. ****ing northwest.

Silenoz
October 27th, 2015, 02:40 PM
PSU

IBleedYellow
October 27th, 2015, 04:35 PM
I mean...everyone's head says PSU...but Team Chaos has reigned supreme this year.

So Grats Montana on the 3 point victory.

dudeitsaid
October 27th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Toss up. It's hard to say how Simis will perform after one game, but with the Griz D and more offensive consistency, it should be a great game! PSU's home field doesn't seem to offer as much of an advantage as some. But they have had decent results on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Just because Simis is not yet a proven commodity in my book, I gotta give the Vikings a slight edge.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 27th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Toss up. It's hard to say how Simis will perform after one game, but with the Griz D and more offensive consistency, it should be a great game! PSU's home field doesn't seem to offer as much of an advantage as some. But they have had decent results on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Just because Simis is not yet a proven commodity in my book, I gotta give the Vikings a slight edge.

Gotta agree with the dude here.

grizband
October 27th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Gotta agree with the dude here.
I also hate to agree. Heart says Griz win, head says IBleedYellow is right, and chaos takes over at somepoint... xrotatehx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2015, 01:22 AM
I also hate to agree. Heart says Griz win, head says IBleedYellow is right, and chaos takes over at somepoint... xrotatehx

Simis is the key, if he is even close to what he was then I'm with ya, don't trust he will be.

putter
October 28th, 2015, 09:39 AM
I think the Griz D will be the difference. Watching MSU and PSU there was no defense, Montana has a D. I think Simis will do enough to get the win

veinup
October 28th, 2015, 09:47 AM
i really think weather will play a factor ..

F'N Hawks
October 28th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Simis is the key, if he is even close to what he was then I'm with ya, don't trust he will be.

As I said before, nothing against Simis, but anybody could have thrown for 5+ TD's in that game. He just threw it up and trusted his WR would get it based on the fact that the UND defensive backs are incapable of locating a football in mid air. Portland State will actually make him throw into tighter windows and their DB's are pretty good, meaning they will probably make a play on the ball every once in a while.

The Weber game is a better indication of how Montana's offense is going to look.

veinup
October 28th, 2015, 09:56 AM
The Weber game is a better indication of how Montana's offense is going to look.

xbawlingx

F'N Hawks
October 28th, 2015, 09:58 AM
xbawlingx

LOLOLOL. Not trying to be a smart ass or anything. Just telling the truth that you are going to see real defensive backs who have experience this week. As sad as that sounds. xthumbsdownx

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2015, 10:17 AM
As I said before, nothing against Simis, but anybody could have thrown for 5+ TD's in that game. He just threw it up and trusted his WR would get it based on the fact that the UND defensive backs are incapable of locating a football in mid air. Portland State will actually make him throw into tighter windows and their DB's are pretty good, meaning they will probably make a play on the ball every once in a while.

It'll definitely be a tougher test for him, and I doubt he'll get close to 6 TDs again, but I don't think the Weber game is a fair comparison. Simis actually did pretty well in that one considering the circumstances, and we saw what he could do with two weeks to prepare for a start.

The biggest key for me is our O-line. They had looked pretty shaky for most of the season, but more held their own against a solid defensive front last week.

putter
October 28th, 2015, 10:21 AM
It'll definitely be a tougher test for him, and I doubt he'll get close to 6 TDs again, but I don't think the Weber game is a fair comparison. Simis actually did pretty well in that one considering the circumstances, and we saw what he could do with two weeks to prepare for a start.

The biggest key for me is our O-line. They had looked pretty shaky for most of the season, but more held their own against a solid defensive front last week.

Stitt finally woke up and helped out his line by adding an extra blocker and you saw the difference. I have a little more hope now that the coach has somewhat adjusted to the team he has this year.

Bisonator
October 28th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I think the Griz D will be the difference. Watching MSU and PSU there was no defense, Montana has a D. I think Simis will do enough to get the win

I agree with this. PSU hasn't really played a defense as good as Montana's since the UND game and UND's defense seriously lacks the secondary that Montana's has so my initial thought is Montana wins.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2015, 11:07 AM

You haven't been watching the Griz all year so I'll let ya know that the receivers grabbing those balls that are tossed up as they did is new this year. The other two QB's threw some ducks but also threw many good passes that were just not gone after or were flat out drops.

I do think UND's pass D is a part of it. I think a bigger part of it was the way they did play together and things went right. I already know our defense is decent. We can hopefully hold them down just enough and Simis and the offense do just enough to get a win. I doubt it, but he is the key in that game. Grabbing a couple first downs with his legs will be key for us in that game when it breaks down due to good secondary paly.

The Weber game is not a good indicator unless we are talking about the Griz remaining at a very low level of production/potential and I do not think we will have any more games like that one. I could sure be wrong though and Simis just had one good game and we will limp to the finish.

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2015, 01:04 PM

Right. Simis made some good throws, but no other team is gonna leave Henderson & Jones single-covered as much as NoDak did.

I think PSU is a slight favorite, but there's a lot of volatility there. It's pretty close to a coin flip.

Grizalltheway
October 29th, 2015, 09:36 AM
looks like a good chance of rain that day .. bummer. ****ing northwest.

Yep, looking like a major soaker, with some wind thrown in for fun.

http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/USOR0275:1:US

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 29th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Right. Simis made some good throws, but no other team is gonna leave Henderson & Jones single-covered as much as NoDak did.

I think PSU is a slight favorite, but there's a lot of volatility there. It's pretty close to a coin flip.

We are going to end up with coverage match-ups favoring the Griz. When you throw Roberts into the mix Montana has three really high quality receiving threats. Unless the Vikings plan to play with just five players in the box the entire game there are going to be a lot of plays when Roberts, Jones or Henderson are going to be matched up in single coverage. If Simis can correctly read the defense we could see some good passing numbers once again this week. I think the biggest thing keeping the passing numbers low will be weather related if the prediction for rain holds.

mvemjsunpx
October 29th, 2015, 11:33 AM

Rain doesn't hurt the passing game. Wind, unfortunately, does. xthumbsdownx

tomq04
October 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Doesn't Portland play indoors....?

edit:
No, is the correct answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Providence_Park

ursus arctos horribilis
October 29th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Doesn't Portland play indoors....?

edit:
No, is the correct answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Providence_Park

You obviously haven't been there so I will give this piece of advice. Go, it was a fun ass location and the stadium wasn't great before but it was still pretty cool because of it's location and so forth. Now with the digs being even better it would be a very worthwhile road trip.

The tailgating, the game site, basically everything about it is unusual...in other words, it's very "Portland". It is a very good time and the trolley makes getting around very easy as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2015, 12:56 PM
The tailgating, the game site, basically everything about it is unusual...in other words, it's very "Portland". It is a very good time and the trolley makes getting around very easy as well.

http://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Portlandia_AQ_100913_29271.jpg

Pretty sure what I like best about this is that they actually inadvertently use Portland State colors in here.

Peems
October 29th, 2015, 04:27 PM
I really wish I didn't have to work this weekend, or I would make the drive down to Portland and watch this game. It seems like the new stadium and atmosphere are really great, and there will be plenty of Griz alum.(portland is like graduate school for missoulians). I think the Griz O will look solid, but I am worried about our D. If the D that got gutted by Weber shows up, we could be in for a long day.

Silenoz
October 29th, 2015, 05:42 PM
You obviously haven't been there so I will give this piece of advice. Go, it was a fun ass location and the stadium wasn't great before but it was still pretty cool because of it's location and so forth. Now with the digs being even better it would be a very worthwhile road trip.

Do the food vendors sell artisanal marionberry pancakes?

Silenoz
October 29th, 2015, 05:45 PM
I really wish I didn't have to work this weekend, or I would make the drive down to Portland and watch this game. It seems like the new stadium and atmosphere are really great, and there will be plenty of Griz alum.(portland is like graduate school for missoulians). I think the Griz O will look solid, but I am worried about our D. If the D that got gutted by Weber shows up, we could be in for a long day.
Weber did have 7 offensive points in the final 3 1/2 quarters of that game...

ursus arctos horribilis
October 29th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Do the food vendors sell artisanal marionberry pancakes?

Of course you heathen. It is also topped with artisanal butter.

A place there know as the Montage I think it was had mac and cheese unlike and far superior to anything version I've ever had anywhere.

JALMOND
October 29th, 2015, 09:17 PM

Shouldn't be too bad, except for the fans. The north end zone is connected, and the MAC shields the south end zone. As for the field itself, it is a professional soccer field so it drains really well. Footing should be fine.

Not all the seats are covered, tho.xsmiley_wix

JALMOND
October 29th, 2015, 09:43 PM
I haven't heard if Barnum is going to do it this game, but before the Montana State game, he said that, if the Viks won that game, he would buy everyone of age who was at the game a beer at the Kingston Tavern. All you had to do was ask for your favorite beer and present your game ticket in lieu of payment and you had one beer bought for you by Coach Barnum.

I think he spent a bunch of money so maybe that is why he hasn't said anything this week. xlolxxbeerchugx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 30th, 2015, 12:01 AM
I haven't heard if Barnum is going to do it this game, but before the Montana State game, he said that, if the Viks won that game, he would buy everyone of age who was at the game a beer at the Kingston Tavern. All you had to do was ask for your favorite beer and present your game ticket in lieu of payment and you had one beer bought for you by Coach Barnum.

I think he spent a bunch of money so maybe that is why he hasn't said anything this week. xlolxxbeerchugx

Even if he (PSU) wins he loses. UM fans will take him up on it and there should be a fair amount there to oblige him.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 30th, 2015, 12:02 AM

Even if he (PSU) wins he loses. UM fans will take him up on it and there should be a fair amount there to oblige him.

That's pretty cool btw. He was a pretty laid back regular guy when Kevin interviewed him a few weeks back. Good dude.

ElCid
October 30th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Montana better damn well win. That is who I picked in my clenz picks. I just had a gut feeling. Although I guess it could have been heartburn.

dystopiamembrane
October 30th, 2015, 08:46 AM
And, remember. Y'all can buy weed in stores here. 8-12 bucks a gram.

Grizzlies82
October 30th, 2015, 09:22 AM
And, remember. Y'all can buy weed in stores here. 8-12 bucks a gram.

So you can smoke weed, then enjoy drinking while sitting in the stands.
This is just like a trip down memory lane for many Griz alumni. Advantage Montana!
Griz win.

bobcathpdevil56
October 30th, 2015, 09:24 AM
No person of Griz nation or Missoula heritage has ever used the herb, so I don't know why this was brought up.

Silenoz
October 30th, 2015, 03:06 PM
No person of Griz nation or Missoula heritage has ever used the herb, so I don't know why this was brought up.

MSU is as straight-edge as it gets, let me tell you!

Everone in La Pa is an out-of-towner

JALMOND
October 30th, 2015, 08:32 PM
MSU is as straight-edge as it gets, let me tell you!

Everone in La Pa is an out-of-towner

A friend in need is a friend indeed
A friend with weed is better

"Pure Morning"-Placebo

JALMOND
October 31st, 2015, 01:03 PM
In the Portland "Oregonian" today, courtesy of their Pac-12 sports reporter Ken Goe,

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2015/10/saturday_morning_news_notes_li_22.html#incart_rive r

Helps when the Ducks played Thursday. xlolx

Peems
October 31st, 2015, 05:39 PM
Weber did have 7 offensive points in the final 3 1/2 quarters of that game...

They also had 253 yards rushing

Peems
October 31st, 2015, 07:05 PM
and boy did PSU run all over the Griz

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2015, 08:05 PM
God we suck. :(

BisonFan02
October 31st, 2015, 08:07 PM
God we suck. :(

Could be worse....you could have lost to UND.

laxVik
October 31st, 2015, 08:08 PM
God we're pretty good. :)

mvemjsunpx
October 31st, 2015, 08:26 PM
Simis went from Dave Dickenson to Jason Washington all in one week…

F'N Hawks
October 31st, 2015, 08:58 PM
Simis went from Dave Dickenson to Jason Washington all in one week…

I explained the "UND effect" earlier this week. Also said the PSU game would be more like Weber for Griz offense.

mvemjsunpx
October 31st, 2015, 09:03 PM
I explained the "UND effect" earlier this week. Also said the PSU game would be more like Weber for Griz offense.

Oh, I know. That's why I picked the Griz to lose. Still… I expected the Griz to lose close, and I didn't expect the dropoff for Simis to be THAT severe. xnonono2x

ursus arctos horribilis
October 31st, 2015, 11:54 PM
Oh, I know. That's why I picked the Griz to lose. Still… I expected the Griz to lose close, and I didn't expect the dropoff for Simis to be THAT severe. xnonono2x

I did expect a big drop off and it's why I said it all depends on him and hoped it wouldn't be as bad as it was...but it was that bad. I think he did show some promise and some spunk in stickign with it and fighting even though it didn't work out. Kinda think he could be good going forward after a humiliation like this.....

All the pieces of the hot rod are there but we just can't put em' together yet and now it may be too late but if he get's it together I think it all comes together but we miss the playoffs probably unless he really gets good at some decisions real quick but luckinly the d's coming up will make him look smarter anyway.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 1st, 2015, 12:01 AM
I'm watching Washington State now. How the heck did Portland State beat them? I know the Vikings are really good by FCS standards but Wazzu is legit...

JALMOND
November 1st, 2015, 12:48 AM
As a Portland State fan, I have to say, I don't know where this is going or when it will end, but this isn't reality. This isn't real life. This whole Portland State story is something that they make movies about, but it never happens in real life. I mean, does it? I guess with Northern Colorado, Southern Utah and EWU still to play, the Cool Runnings scene where they are on the verge of something great only to have the sled come off at the end could still happen. But this is...I don't know.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 1st, 2015, 12:57 AM
As a Portland State fan, I have to say, I don't know where this is going or when it will end, but this isn't reality. This isn't real life. This whole Portland State story is something that they make movies about, but it never happens in real life. I mean, does it? I guess with Northern Colorado, Southern Utah and EWU still to play, the Cool Runnings scene where they are on the verge of something great only to have the sled come off at the end could still happen. But this is...I don't know.

PSU has always had good talent. They were undisciplined and pretty cheap in the past. They did crap that completely held them back. They are a well oiled machine now without tha undisciplined BS that has always nagged them. They are a good team, with good character and discipline. I honestly think they could challenge anyone in the nation right now. They are good and they play with integrity and aplomb. You can not ask for more than that.

The attitude shift Barnum has done there is really amazing. Tip of the cap to him and the Vikes. They are, and have been, legit as hell.

They could lose one but I doubt it. They are a top 4 seed if you ask me when the end of the season hits.

Peems
November 7th, 2015, 01:05 PM
How did UND beat these guys?

mvemjsunpx
November 7th, 2015, 05:24 PM
How did UND beat these guys?

Because PSU doesn't throw the ball.

You can't run on NoDak, but you can throw all day on them. Portland State is a run-heavy team that stubbornly kept running despite getting a long TD pass early in that game.