PDA

View Full Version : Kupp passes Jerry Rice

Red & Black
October 25th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Kupp is now second overall in FCS with 52 TD's, passing Jerry Rice (50), and 6 behind David Ball. He's now 14th overall with 281 receptions and fourth in yardage with 4,338, 7 games into his Junior Season. xbowx

GAD
October 25th, 2015, 12:24 PM
xthumbsupx

Samalum'10
October 25th, 2015, 12:29 PM
It's disgusting how good Kupp is

Silenoz
October 25th, 2015, 12:31 PM
He deserves the Payton

Samalum'10
October 25th, 2015, 12:32 PM
He deserves the Payton
Agreed

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2015, 12:35 PM
He's a beast. Hope he stays one more year so I can watch him in person when we come to Cheney.

grizband
October 25th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Kupp is a stud!

Nice thing about the comparison between Ball and Kupp is they both played in the era when playoff stats counted towards career totals. This eliminates the potential "what if" scenarios that often plague these comparisons.

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 12:38 PM
He's a beast. Hope he stays one more year so I can watch him in person when we come to Cheney.

I'm told he is as good as gone. These performances are more about him boasting his draft stock. I'm hearing his goal is 2nd round or higher and he knows he has to dominate so he is. I feel bad for EWU losing so many players early over the years.

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I'm told he is as good as gone. These performances are more about him boasting his draft stock. I'm hearing his goal is 2nd round or higher and he knows he has to dominate so he is. I feel bad for EWU losing so many players early over the years.

Worst case scenario we have an easier path to the win. xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Worst case scenario we have an easier path to the win. xlolx

I would bank on that lol. I think Kupp needs to come back. It is sad that greedy agents are getting to the FCS level and making these kids think about the money and blow up their egos, ruining what use to be a pure level of college football. Have even seen it in D2 some. Looks like D3 is the only pure level of college football left.

veinup
October 25th, 2015, 02:30 PM
I would bank on that lol. I think Kupp needs to come back. It is sad that greedy agents are getting to the FCS level and making these kids think about the money and blow up their egos, ruining what use to be a pure level of college football. Have even seen it in D2 some. Looks like D3 is the only pure level of college football left.

i only watch 6-8th grade football anymore tbh it is the pure product

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 02:41 PM
You think Kupp is a 2nd round player? If he is, why would he stay and chance getting hurt?

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 02:49 PM
i only watch 6-8th grade football anymore tbh it is the pure product

That's not even pure anymore. I have dealt with football on all levels. Do you know the worst parents you will ever come across? They are those of 4th-8th graders of little Johnny who was the MVP in pee wee football. They all think their kids are going to the NFL and the parents are just as dirty with politics and trying to put other kids down to help their own as the agents and media of high school and college. The on field product of middle schoolers is pure when it comes to the kids but the parents are awful to deal with. They are so delusional at that point and have no clue how the system works. It amazed me at how bad it was when I ran a HS All-America Game and dealt with those youth football camps for a few years.

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 02:54 PM
You think Kupp is a 2nd round player? If he is, why would he stay and chance getting hurt?

I'm hearing Kupp is thinking 2nd round. I did not say he would go 2nd round. I would project mid 3rd to early 4th round right now. I don't think any underclassmen should declare unless they get a 2nd round grade or better.

If Kupp doesn't want to play FCS anymore what he should do is graduate and then transfer up like Vernon Adams did. If he went to the Pac-12 and had an All-Pac 12 season and went to the Senior Bowl he could probably put himself in the first round instead of settling for a 50-100 range selection.

After seeing what he did week one, I think he would be very good in the Pac-12.

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I'm hearing Kupp is thinking 2nd round. I did not say he would go 2nd round. I would project mid 3rd to early 4th round right now. I don't think any underclassmen should declare unless they get a 2nd round grade or better.

If Kupp doesn't want to play FCS anymore what he should do is graduate and then transfer up like Vernon Adams did. If he went to the Pac-12 and had an All-Pac 12 season and went to the Senior Bowl he could probably put himself in the first round instead of settling for a 50-100 range selection.

After seeing what he did week one, I think he would be very good in the Pac-12.
Makes sense. Depending on how many classes he has left, PAC 12 might be an option. If staying another year brings his draft prospect up, maybe he should think about it.

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Makes sense. Depending on how many classes he has left, PAC 12 might be an option. If staying another year brings his draft prospect up, maybe he should think about it.

He does need to think hard. Things have not worked out as well for previous EWU players who left as people expected. I think he is the best between Jones and Kaufman but he still needs to return to college. EWU has a great staff and they can prepare him for the NFL. These players who aren't making it who declared early stopped listening to their coaches and their careers went down the tank. I know EWU coaches are telling Kupp to stay. They could truly help him.

Peems
October 25th, 2015, 04:34 PM
He does need to think hard. Things have not worked out as well for previous EWU players who left as people expected. I think he is the best between Jones and Kaufman but he still needs to return to college. EWU has a great staff and they can prepare him for the NFL. These players who aren't making it who declared early stopped listening to their coaches and their careers went down the tank. I know EWU coaches are telling Kupp to stay. They could truly help him.

HOT TAKE INCOMING: Of course the coaches are telling him to stay, they are paid to win games, and Kupp helps them exponentially. If Kupp believes in himself and can get drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, he should bolt, he deserves to be paid to play football, and not help someone else's paycheck.

Silenoz
October 25th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Going back to what you were saying, if he did decide to do a 4th year, and he does get his undergrad (no idea if he's on pace for that), every FBS school in the nation would be foolish not to court him

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 05:27 PM
HOT TAKE INCOMING: Of course the coaches are telling him to stay, they are paid to win games, and Kupp helps them exponentially. If Kupp believes in himself and can get drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, he should bolt, he deserves to be paid to play football, and not help someone else's paycheck.
It's not that simple. Let's say he doesn't do great in the senior bowl, or the combine and falls to 5th. That could be difference to 2-3 million on the signing bonus + salary. You never know how long you will be in the NFL so these contracts can set you up for life, but you risk injuring yourself if you stay. It could be a gamble either way.

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 05:30 PM

They have had two players declare early. One did not get drafted and did not make it. The other went 4th round instead of 2nd like agents were telling him. He is still playing but just a role player. Both players could have benefited from returning.

The coaches sincerely care about him making the right decision as well. Any coach will tell a player if you are going to be a top 50 pick go ahead and get the money. My argument against Kupp going is that while I think he is the most ready of any they have had I know the history there and if he does not make it or struggles then will you pay for his degree? If he has his degree and would go in the 2nd round then yes but Kupp has simply decided already from what I'm hearing and he has not even gone to the advisory board. I hope that whatever the grade given by the NFL he will go with that and not what the draft websites and agents tell him. If they tell him 2nd round and he has his degree then I'm 100% behind him going. If he does not have his degree and he is told 4th round, then he needs to stay and push himself into the 2nd round next year.

If players were treated poorly then I would be all in with you about paying Kupp and all that but he is not treated poorly. He has great facilities, is fed, goes to school for free, and has essentially been interviewing for NFL jobs for 3 years to allow himself the chance to make it. As long as he has his degree and will go in the 2nd round then I'm all for him leaving.

The issue is that he still has the combine and if he runs badly then he loses a lot. There is a gamble either way. Just remember that a NFL career lasts around 4 years while that degree will last forever.

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 05:31 PM
It's not that simple. Let's say he doesn't do great in the senior bowl, or the combine and falls to 5th. That could be difference to 2-3 million on the signing bonus + salary. You never know how long you will be in the NFL so these contracts can set you up for life, but you risk injuring yourself if you stay. It could be a gamble either way.

He can't play in the Senior Bowl unless he has his degree. Does anyone know if he has it yet?

Peems
October 25th, 2015, 08:26 PM
They have had two players declare early. One did not get drafted and did not make it. The other went 4th round instead of 2nd like agents were telling him. He is still playing but just a role player. Both players could have benefited from returning.

The coaches sincerely care about him making the right decision as well. Any coach will tell a player if you are going to be a top 50 pick go ahead and get the money. My argument against Kupp going is that while I think he is the most ready of any they have had I know the history there and if he does not make it or struggles then will you pay for his degree? If he has his degree and would go in the 2nd round then yes but Kupp has simply decided already from what I'm hearing and he has not even gone to the advisory board. I hope that whatever the grade given by the NFL he will go with that and not what the draft websites and agents tell him. If they tell him 2nd round and he has his degree then I'm 100% behind him going. If he does not have his degree and he is told 4th round, then he needs to stay and push himself into the 2nd round next year.

If players were treated poorly then I would be all in with you about paying Kupp and all that but he is not treated poorly. He has great facilities, is fed, goes to school for free, and has essentially been interviewing for NFL jobs for 3 years to allow himself the chance to make it. As long as he has his degree and will go in the 2nd round then I'm all for him leaving.

The issue is that he still has the combine and if he runs badly then he loses a lot. There is a gamble either way. Just remember that a NFL career lasts around 4 years while that degree will last forever.

Very reasoned and well put out response, however, I still stand by my statement. I understand why you say you want him to have his degree, but honestly is Kupp preparing for anything other than the NFL at this point? He clearly has his chosen profession, and shouldn't he maximize profit while he can? An education is invaluable, but pretending that many of these high level athletes(mainly FBS) are doing anything other than preparing for the NFL is silly. In my perfect world, universities offer classes/degrees that are suited for the athlete who looks to go professional.

Daytripper
October 25th, 2015, 09:31 PM
What can he do his senior year that sets him apart any more or shows something that scouts have yet to see? Coming back only risks injury. Go pro.

veinup
October 25th, 2015, 09:46 PM
That's not even pure anymore. I have dealt with football on all levels. Do you know the worst parents you will ever come across? They are those of 4th-8th graders of little Johnny who was the MVP in pee wee football. They all think their kids are going to the NFL and the parents are just as dirty with politics and trying to put other kids down to help their own as the agents and media of high school and college. The on field product of middle schoolers is pure when it comes to the kids but the parents are awful to deal with. They are so delusional at that point and have no clue how the system works. It amazed me at how bad it was when I ran a HS All-America Game and dealt with those youth football camps for a few years.

i guess i'll have to go even younger xcoffeex

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Very reasoned and well put out response, however, I still stand by my statement. I understand why you say you want him to have his degree, but honestly is Kupp preparing for anything other than the NFL at this point? He clearly has his chosen profession, and shouldn't he maximize profit while he can? An education is invaluable, but pretending that many of these high level athletes(mainly FBS) are doing anything other than preparing for the NFL is silly. In my perfect world, universities offer classes/degrees that are suited for the athlete who looks to go professional.

The NFL is unlike any other profession. Name a profession that the average time in it is just 4 years. I have been scouting NFL talent longer than Kupp will ever play in the NFL and yet I'm not even 35 yet. By 30 years old his NFL will likely be over or close to it. The education is important and he did not go to EWU to play in the NFL. That is just something that happened along the way. He is not guaranteed anything. He could get hurt in predraft workouts and then go undrafted and not have a degree.

It would be stupid of him to declare without a degree unless the NFL is telling him 1st or 2nd round. Even then, he is thinking short term and not long term. I just hate to see players used as pawns by the media and agents to make money off them because those people have done nothing for him yet at least his coaches have put him in position to be a NFL player. I want him to make it because I like his ability but I just don't want him out of the NFL in 3 years with no degree and then blaming his school and everyone else because he made a bad decision. I'm all for a free market but I'm also for being smart. If he does not make it in the NFL or ends up making a bad decision he can't blame anyone but himself at this point though.

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 09:55 PM
What can he do his senior year that sets him apart any more or shows something that scouts have yet to see? Coming back only risks injury. Go pro.

He could put himself in the early 2nd round or 1st round by transferring up like Vernon Adams did. He would then get a chance to go to the Senior Bowl.

If he gets a 2nd round grade or better I'm all for him going as long as he has his degree. So many players have to come back and finish their degree on their own dime. He should either stay and finish, or if done move up or stay at EWU depending on what the advisory board says.

If the NFL says 1st or 2nd round then yes I'm all for him going.

tomq04
October 25th, 2015, 11:15 PM
He could put himself in the early 2nd round or 1st round by transferring up like Vernon Adams did. He would then get a chance to go to the Senior Bowl.

If he gets a 2nd round grade or better I'm all for him going as long as he has his degree. So many players have to come back and finish their degree on their own dime. He should either stay and finish, or if done move up or stay at EWU depending on what the advisory board says.

Not sure how that's working for VA.

grizband
October 25th, 2015, 11:25 PM
Continuing to build on fundamentals in an educational setting would be my first thought. As talented as Kupp is, he no doubt has areas of good game that could be improved.

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 11:42 PM
i guess i'll have to go even younger xcoffeex

That sounds like something Jared Fogle would say.

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2015, 11:44 PM
Not sure how that's working for VA.

He was not a draftable player when he left and the NFL knew it. He transferred up and the NFL now can verify that he likely won't be drafted, as expected. I think Kupp is legit enough that he could move up and do well. I prefer he stay at EWU for one more year but if he thinks he has nothing left to prove at EWU he should at least move up to the FBS and show it. If he is a legit top 100 talent then he will do fine moving up.

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 11:53 PM
He was not a draftable player when he left and the NFL knew it. He transferred up and the NFL now can verify that he likely won't be drafted, as expected. I think Kupp is legit enough that he could move up and do well. I prefer he stay at EWU for one more year but if he thinks he has nothing left to prove at EWU he should at least move up to the FBS and show it. If he is a legit top 100 talent then he will do fine moving up.
I never thought VA would get drafted. His injury was unfortunate, he is the best QB Oregon has. Do you think he is a camp arm or CFL?

veinup
October 26th, 2015, 09:43 AM
He was not a draftable player when he left and the NFL knew it. He transferred up and the NFL now can verify that he likely won't be drafted, as expected.

So you don't think VA will get drafted? Just curious, I don't have any real idea about these things ..

Personally, I feel like VA got what he wanted. He made some great plays against Washington last weekend on prime time TV and the commentators were slurping the **** out of him. I think that's what he wanted.

kalm
October 26th, 2015, 10:56 AM
And for the record, last time I heard, Kupp was as adamant about finishing his collegiate career at EWU and nowhere else as he was about leaving early.

Catbooster
October 26th, 2015, 01:56 PM
And for the record, last time I heard, Kupp was as adamant about finishing his collegiate career at EWU and nowhere else as he was about leaving early.
Leaving early or NOT leaving early?

MSUBobcat
October 26th, 2015, 02:45 PM

I get that what you are saying about having a degree to fall back on if he doesn't make it in the NFL, but how many hundreds of thousands of students have to work while going to college just to attend? If he made it one year at the league rookie minimum salary, he could quite easily afford EWU's $3,500 per semester tuition, or even Harvard's tuition of $44,000. I don't know that finishing his degree should be the deciding factor. Draft rank and the effect on that rank of coming back should be the main motivators, IMO.

clenz
October 26th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Name a profession that the average time in it is just 4 years.

NBA...also with over 1,500 fewer roster spots
MLB and NHL are also just barely over 4 years...

Red & Black
October 26th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Kupp will have his degree this spring, so that's not even really part of the consideration, IMO. I think he should stay for his last year, but for different reasons than many have mentioned here. This year's draft class will be extremely competitive for WR's. If nothing else, playing another year of college ball puts him in a better position for the draft, assuming next year's class is a little less competitive for his position than this year's is going to be.

Also, the VA and Kupp comparisons are not legitimate. Plenty of FCS QB's have gone on to have successful careers in the NFL, but none of them were 5'11 type guys. That's the primary reason VA wanted to play his final year at Oregon. Kupp is in the 6'1 - 6'2 range, plays WR, and has already shown several times over than he can play with BCS-type talent. He doesn't need to prove that he can play with those guys, he already has.

Grizalltheway
October 26th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Kupp will have his degree this spring, so that's not even really part of the consideration, IMO. I think he should stay for his last year, but for different reasons than many have mentioned here. This year's draft class will be extremely competitive for WR's. If nothing else, playing another year of college ball puts him in a better position for the draft, assuming next year's class is a little less competitive for his position than this year's is going to be.

Also, the VA and Kupp comparisons are not legitimate. Plenty of FCS QB's have gone on to have successful careers in the NFL, but none of them were 5'11 type guys. That's the primary reason VA wanted to play his final year at Oregon. Kupp is in the 6'1 - 6'2 range, plays WR, and has already shown several times over than he can play with BCS-type talent. He doesn't need to prove that he can play with those guys, he already has.

VA proved that he could perform against PAC 12 teams a couple of times before he moved up...