PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week Nine

ElCid
October 25th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Power Rankings
1. The Citadel: Seriously hot right now; not as perfect as last week's performance but pretty darn good; 388 yards on the ground against a pretty good D; the team looks focused, and they are certainly for real; the D held Furman to 78 yards in the 1st half--WOW, gave up some yards in the second half as Furman tried to come back early in the third, but still only gave up 295 yds all game; so they apparently know how to finish games as well now, which bit us with Chuck South; I don't think there were any serious injuries, but more banged up in this game than I have seen so far, hopefully they can heal up this week
2. WCU: Impressive win, they seem to be hitting their stride now, glad we played them early
3. UTC: Not sure if they are playing down to their competition or they have slipped; they have been living dangerously in any event; winning is what matters and they continue to win, but 265 yds on offense is just pitiful
4. Samford: They can score points but have issues on D apparently
5. VMI: Nice road win may give them some confidence and momentum
6. Wofford: Continues to fight, but fading unless they get it together
7. Furman: In total disarray
8. Mercer: May go winless in SOCON

Predictions
Wofford at VMI - Can Wofford stop the pass? Can VMI stop the run? First one to 350 yards in their forte wins, I want to say VMI, but not sure they know how to win consistently - 31-28
WCU at UTC - (Game of the Week) - I know who the Bulldogs will be rooting for; will WCU avenge last year's beat down? Will UTC finally step up with a dominating performance? A few weeks ago, I would have said UTC easily, but while I think it could go either way, with the way they have played lately, but I think UTC rises to the challenge - 33-24
Mercer at The Citadel - Trap Game? I am always leery when my Dogs start winning (think victories over Ga So and App in 2012, we lost 4 of the next 5); but that was then and this is now and these Dogs are seriously better; Mercer has some weapons but this is their first trip to Chucktown and I think the Dogs wear them down - 41-20
Furman at Samford - Samford's playoff hopes are gone and while Furman may be a long shot, any realistic shot is also gone; so I think Furman may change starting QB and Samford may try and work on Defensive schemes to see if they can spark some game control; edge to the west dogs - 35-28

OL FU
October 25th, 2015, 11:14 AM
1. Chattanooga - Been there all year, when someone takes them down they will move down. Also, they seem to be really good at playing up or down to their schedule.
2. The Citadel - Looks like it is between Chattanooga and the Dogs. No problem with making them I am just going to wait it out.
3. Western Carolina - this is where I started them at the first of the year and moved them down too far when the Citadel beat them. Should have moved the Citadel up instead of moving the cats down.
4. Samford -xconfusedx
5. Wofford - Give them the advantage over FU based on the Chat game.
6. Furman - Oh myxbawlingx over VMI simply because FU beat VMI and it still counts. May be below them by the end of the season.
7. VMI - See above.
8. Mercer - last (well until they play FUxbawlingx)

Wofford at VMI - Could go either Way
WCU at Chattanooga - At home and I think once again they step up when needed.
Mercer at the Citadel - Mercer generally plays everyone close. Not sure it is going to happen this week.
Furman at Samford - no comment.

SU DOG
October 25th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Next week's game - Furman @ Samford is for all the marbles: The Pity Party Trophy.

kdinva
October 25th, 2015, 11:40 AM
1) UTC
2) The Citadel
3) WCU
4) Samford
t5) Wofford
t5) VMI
t5) Furman
8) Samford

UTC 28; WCU 19
VMI 28; Wofford 26
Citadel 34; Mercer 17
Samford 34; Furman 20

catamount man
October 25th, 2015, 11:46 AM
1) Chatt
2) El Cid
3) WCU
4-8) all the rest; nobody is really separating themselves

WCU 31 CHATT 24
VMI 28 WOFFORD 17
SAMFORD 31 FURMAN 14
CITADEL 28 MERCER 3

GO CATS!

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Power Rankings

2. WCU: Impressive win, they seem to be hitting their stride now, glad we played them early
3. UTC: Not sure if they are playing down to their competition or they have slipped; they have been living dangerously in any event; winning is what matters and they continue to win, but 265 yds on offense is just pitiful

Predictions

WCU at UTC - (Game of the Week) - I know who the Bulldogs will be rooting for; will WCU avenge last year's beat down? Will UTC finally step up with a dominating performance? A few weeks ago, I would have said UTC easily, but while I think it could go either way, with the way they have played lately, but I think UTC rises to the challenge - 33-24

Help me understand this. I have no problem with you putting the Mocs as 3rd. I don't feel they are playing like a Championship caliber team right now...even though they are winning. What I'm talking about is putting them 3rd behind a WCU team and in the same post predicting a 9 point win over the same WCU team? I thought the Power Rankings were an "If they played Head to Head" type thing. Again, I'm not calling out your opinion, you make valid arguments...Maybe I am just not seeing the Power Rankings in the same light?????

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 12:33 PM
1) Citadel - Looking strong
2) Mocs - They have to start putting together complete games (like the one against Furman)
3) WCU - I hesitate to put the Cats up this high, just think about what happened this time last year...different year, different team.
4) Wofford - They are better than advertised. And Mike Ayers is still their coach. They will find something
5) Samford - I just don't know what is going on here. Hatch needs to find some defense.
t6) VMI - Cobb to Forlines can strike at any moment... they have the ability to knock out anyone in the conference, but until they do.....
t6) Furman- Biggest surprise on the Conference this year, I really saw them being 6-1, 5-2 this year, with a shot at the playoffs.
8) Mercer- as soon as you win a SoCon game, I'll move you up.

UTC 31; WCU 7
VMI 21; Wofford 27
Citadel 41; Mercer 14
Samford 37; Furman 21

CitadelGrad
October 25th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Power Rankings
1. The Citadel: Not the only undefeated SoCon team right now, but El Cid is playing better ball than UTC. That could change, but now El Cid just looks better and more consistent on both sides of the ball.
2. WCU: Hard to put WCU ahead of UTC given their conference records, but WCU is winning more convincingly at this point. They are definitely better than the team The Citadel clobbered early in the season.
3. UTC: UTC keeps winning but showing weaknesses and vulnerability as they do it.
4. Samford: Excellent O being wasted on a weak D. Such as shame for a team that had high pre-season expectations.
5. Wofford: Has solidified its place as a middle-of-the-pack SoCon team. Not to be taken lightly but not going to strike fear into the hearts of their opponents either.
6. VMI: VMI seems to get a little better every week. Not sure Furman could beat them this week, if they played each other. Not sure Wofford will either.
7. Furman: As VMI gets a little better every week, Furman seems to be getting a little worse every week. Not entirely sure Furman is better than Mercer right now, but will give the benefit of the doubt.
8. Mercer: Seems to give all their opponents a pretty good game, but not sure they will win a SoCon game this year.

Predictions
Wofford at VMI - Will pick Wofford, but might regret it. VMI certainly can beat Wofford in Lexington.
WCU at UTC - The most interesting SoCon game this week. Hard to pick a winner but have to go with UTC in Nooga.
Mercer at The Citadel - The Citadel is on a roll. This could be a trap game but it doesn't feel like it. Like VMI, The Citadel seems to be getting better every week. No complacency from the Cadets.
Furman at Samford - Samford can score and Furman seems to be in disarray. Not even an extra week of preparation could keep Furman from getting clobbered at homecoming by their traditional SoCon rival. Samford scores early and often.

ElCid
October 25th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Help me understand this. I have no problem with you putting the Mocs as 3rd. I don't feel they are playing like a Championship caliber team right now...even though they are winning. What I'm talking about is putting them 3rd behind a WCU team and in the same post predicting a 9 point win over the same WCU team? I thought the Power Rankings were an "If they played Head to Head" type thing. Again, I'm not calling out your opinion, you make valid arguments...Maybe I am just not seeing the Power Rankings in the same light?????

I guess it is how I always viewed it. I guess I am thinking about if the teams ranked played this past weekend (yesterday). I am looking at the teams from yesterday and their performance. I think if you played WCU yesterday you would have been beaten. Next week in Chattanooga, maybe...probably not. I don't think anyone would have taken my Dogs yesterday. Since we don't have formal rules I went with how I viewed it, which may be twistedxconfusedx. I guess I am looking at the performance for sum of the year with a lot based on this past week (momentum type analysis), rather than based on future predictions. And I do not want to rank them like the standings, we already have the standings. We may need to send this to the rules committee to establish the intent. I am easy to convert if it makes sense.xpeacex

The Cats
October 25th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Wofford at VMI
Western at Chattanooga
Mercer at The Citadel
Furman at Samford

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 02:59 PM
I guess it is how I always viewed it. I guess I am thinking about if the teams ranked played this past weekend (yesterday). I am looking at the teams from yesterday and their performance. I think if you played WCU yesterday you would have been beaten. Next week in Chattanooga, maybe...probably not. I don't think anyone would have taken my Dogs yesterday. Since we don't have formal rules I went with how I viewed it, which may be twistedxconfusedx. I guess I am looking at the performance for sum of the year with a lot based on this past week (momentum type analysis), rather than based on future predictions. And I do not want to rank them like the standings, we already have the standings. We may need to send this to the rules committee to establish the intent. I am easy to convert if it makes sense.xpeacex

that makes sense. I guess I just look at it as who would beat who in the upcoming week.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 25th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I was 4-1 last week with VMI showing me something against Mercer. We have three teams looking to make the playoffs while everyone else has gone bonkers.
Here is where I have it after this week:

1) Chattanooga - Still undefeated after a close win against Wofford.
2) The Citadel - Pounded the Paladins.
3) Western Carolina - Avenged last season's loss to Samford.
4) Wofford - Had nothing to be ashamed of the past couple of weeks.
5) Furman - Got chewed up and spit out by the Bulldogs.
6) Samford - Returned home with a case of Cat Scratch Fever.
7) VMI - Wins their first SoCon game of the year.
8) Mercer - Had their best chance for a conference win slip away.
ETSU - Also had a case of Cat Scratch Fever.

Predictions
Wofford @ VMI - Keydets are feeling their oats.
Mercer @ The Citadel (Beatdown of the Week) - Bulldogs annihilate the Bears.
Western Carolina @ Chattanooga (Game of the Week) - Mocs keep conference title hopes alive.
Furman @ Samford - Paladins come away with a win on the road.
Warner @ ETSU ​- Bucs finally get their first win since 2003.

tenNesseeCat
October 25th, 2015, 04:56 PM

UTC
The Citadel
WCU

Wofford
Samford
Furman
VMI
Mercer

ETSU

1-3 will become more clear or a three way tie could begin to emerge.

The rest is a big mess. Last place Mercer could upset anyone. They are just there by default. Another Saturday should help to organize this log jam a little better.

Predictions:
MU @ The Citadel - 33-17 - They're on fire!
WC @ VMI - 31-27 - I guess because they stayed close with UTC?
FU @ SU - 27-24 - I guess because they are @ home?
WCU @ UTC - UTC flat and WCU is fired up and confident!

ElCid
October 25th, 2015, 04:59 PM

UTC
The Citadel
WCU

Wofford
Samford
Furman
VMI
Mercer

ETSU

1-3 will become more clear or a three way tie could begin to emerge.

God I hope not. Just the thought of cyphering tie breakers gives me a headache.

bonarae
October 25th, 2015, 08:48 PM
VMI
The Citadel
Samford (toss-up)
WCU (upset of the week in all of FCS, we hope)
ETSU (finally?)

PaladinFan
October 25th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Furman versus Samford is the stoppable force against the movable object. Something's gotta give.

ElCid
October 25th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Furman versus Samford is the stoppable force against the movable object. Something's gotta give.

Triple overtime?

Catamount87
October 26th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Power Rankings
1. The Citadel - Playing strong, disciplined football with great coaching and creative playcalling
2. UTC - Still getting it done. Can they keep it up?
3. WCU - Finally have gotten it all together, can we keep it up?
4. (tie) Samford - So much talent but apparently not with defensive game planning or play calling
Wofford - The Triple Option is always tough.
VMI - Uncharacteristic offense this past week, still the most dangerous team in the SoCon because of their offense
Furman - The SoCon's Dr Jekly/Mr Hyde team
8. Mercer - Competitive and makes opponents play hard but I wonder if self doubt is doing them in now

Predictions
Wofford at VMI - Strong rushing vs strong passing. I'm going with strong passing because of Wofford's awful pass defense.
WCU at UTC (Game of the Week) - A toss up, so I'm going with my Cats.
Mercer at The Citadel - The dogs by more than anyone is expecting.
Furman at Samford - At this point I think it's flip a coin to decide. So, I'm choosing whoever wins the coin toss.

Mocs123
October 26th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Western Carolina - 21 - Game of the week. I think Chattanooga gets its offense together and wins another close one, this time at home
Chattanooga - 28

Mercer - 24 - Mercer tends to keep them close, but I think The Citadel runs away with it (No pun intended)
The Citadel - 38

Furman - 24 - Two teams with tons of talent that just aren’t winning. One has a great offense and the other a great defense, so something has to give. If Furman can score 30, they win, but I just don’t think Furman’s offense can put up that kind of production on the road.
Samford - 25

Wofford - 33 - Wofford will run all over VMI, but Cobb will pick them apart in the secondary. I could see this go either way, so I say the home team in a game with a lot of yards for both teams.
VMI - 36

Warner 21 - I said I was done picking ETSU, but I am thinking they can put away the NINA school that is on a 6 game losing skid.
ETSU 24

1.) Chattanooga - Barely hanging on to the top spot
2.) Citadel - Playing the best football in the SoCon right now
3.) Western Carolina - Talented team moving up - The Citadel loss looks better and better
4.) Furman - Stout defense, but offense is a mess - Is it coaching change (or OC change) time for the Paladins?
5.) Samford - Loaded with talent, but can’t seem to put it together - Something is wrong is Birmingham
6.) Wofford - A solid team that will be dangerous when they are healthy
7.) VMI - Much stronger team than last year
8.) Mercer - Playing tough with everyone, but just hasn’t closed the deal.
9.) ETSU

Smitty
October 27th, 2015, 07:12 AM
1) Chattanooga
2) The Citadel
3) Western Carolina
4) Samford
5) Furman
6) Wofford
7) VMI
8) Mercer

Predictions
Wofford @ VMI - Good win for VMI but Wofford takes this week
Mercer @ The Citadel - I hope that Mercer wins, just to mess with the standings but very unlikely
Western Carolina @ Chattanooga - I have picked against WCU and they have proven me wrong each time. Prove me wrong again.
Furman @ Samford - Samford shows up this week.

walliver
October 27th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Power ratings:
1) The Citadel - On a roll
2) Chatty - Doing just enough to win - Are they playing to the level of the competition or are there problems?
3) Western Carolina - a good win against a Samford team I still don't have a good read on.
4-7 are a tossup
4) Samford
5) Furman - I still don't know why this team has underperformed so far.
6) Wofford - Without our recent turnovers, mental errors, and bizarre coaching calls we could be in the top three.
7) VMI - It's hard to move up by beating Mercer
8) Mercer - an unexpected disappointment. I expected improvement this year. To be honest, however, after watching them play Wofford last year, I wondered if we were the only team that actually treated them like a serious opponent.

10) ETSU - it's a startup program, but like many, I expected more.

This week:
Wofford at VMI - this game will come down to turnovers. I'll go with the homer pick, Terriers 31 - Virginians 24
Mercer at the Citadel - Could this be a trap game in Chucktown, could the Bearcubs pull an upset? I wouldn't bet money on it, Bullpups win 42-17
Western Carolina at Chatty - It's do or die for the Cants, if they lose this game they can't get to 7 D-I wins and would lose all tie-breakers with Chatty and Cit. This game won't be 51-0, but Chatty is a well-coached veteran team and pulls out a 28-24 win.
Furman at Samford - The former Baptists take on the current Baptists in the Dunk 'em Bowl. Anything can happen in this game. I'll flip a coin and go with a 23-20 Furman win.

Playoffs:
1) Chatty - most likely auto-bid, barring a complete collapse, would still get an at-large.
2) The Citadel - still in the hunt for a championship, but likely to get an at-large. They could well end up on a bubble. They still have a probable loss to come against South Carolina. Davidson counts as a D-I winxconfusedx, but will hurt strength of schedule come selection day.
3) Western - With two FBS and 1 D2 this year, they essentially scheduled themselves out of at-large contention. They need to win out to have a good chance (or beat Texas A&M).
It's possible the SoCon could get 3 in, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if only 1 gets in. Poor scheduling choices have hurt several teams this year.

Brief note on my Power Rankings: my choices reflect my opinion of who is playing the best right now. It does not included home field advantage, emotional motivations, and most importantly, the way individuals teams match up against each other. As a result, it may be very common for me to pick a lesser ranked team to win.

tenNesseeCat
October 27th, 2015, 08:47 AM
I think if we win out vs fcs, we would have to be strongly considered to get in the playoffs. According to the AGS poll, we have the #29 toughest schedule in FCS, and are currently ranked #29. A win over UTC would put us in the top 25 for sure, and we would only climb with wins over FU and VMI. This weekend is HUGE for WCU! The Citadel is at #22 and with wins over MU and VMI, they should climb in to the 15-20 range. A loss to UTC shouldn't knock them out of the top 25 by that point. A three way tie for the SoCon, and the possibility of 3 teams in the playoffs. That's what I'm hoping for. It would also be good for the SoCon come next season. xtwocentsx

Smitty
October 27th, 2015, 08:52 AM
If it is a three way tie, somebody will be left out. They won't have three SoCon teams in the playoff this year.

eiu1999
October 27th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Wofford at VMI
Western at Chattanooga
Mercer at The Citadel
Furman at Samford

CID1990
October 27th, 2015, 10:30 AM
I think if we win out vs fcs, we would have to be strongly considered to get in the playoffs. According to the AGS poll, we have the #29 toughest schedule in FCS, and are currently ranked #29. A win over UTC would put us in the top 25 for sure, and we would only climb with wins over FU and VMI. This weekend is HUGE for WCU! The Citadel is at #22 and with wins over MU and VMI, they should climb in to the 15-20 range. A loss to UTC shouldn't knock them out of the top 25 by that point. A three way tie for the SoCon, and the possibility of 3 teams in the playoffs. That's what I'm hoping for. It would also be good for the SoCon come next season. xtwocentsx

If we both win out then WCU will certainly be an at large. If El Cid wins the next two and loses to Chatty, then I think that puts WCU on a string bubble. In fact, I think that would be the best scenario for getting 3 in the playoffs, but of course I would prefer for El Cid to be the autobid.

There's still a lot of football to go and we have two strong trap games before Chatty.

BTW I think WCU wins this week.

DoWe
October 27th, 2015, 10:36 AM
1. The Citadel
2. WCU
3. UTC

This week's least likely to lose:

The Citadel
Samford (home team)
VMI (home team)
WCU (Speir gets a breakout win in a close one)

My record so far this season 7-1. Thanks for the let down Bears! Your punishment awaits you Saturday.

tenNesseeCat
October 27th, 2015, 01:13 PM
If it is a three way tie, somebody will be left out. They won't have three SoCon teams in the playoff this year.

I don't think there would be three teams in either, but getting 2 with consideration for a third would be good for the SoCon into next year. I think anyway.

BTW I think WCU wins this week.xthumbsupx

If we both win out then WCU will certainly be an at large. If El Cid wins the next two and loses to Chatty, then I think that puts WCU on a string bubble. In fact, I think that would be the best scenario for getting 3 in the playoffs, but of course I would prefer for El Cid to be the autobid.

What if WCU and The Citadel both win out -FBS? Would UTC still be ranked, and who would get in?

Milktruck74
October 27th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Could someone in the Whee please PLEASE PLEASE, have Troy Mitchell start yelling "Overrated" in warm ups, again this year? It really helped to fire my Mocs up, and we would welcome a little extra fire.....Lord knows we could use it!!!!

CID1990
October 27th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I don't think there would be three teams in either, but getting 2 with consideration for a third would be good for the SoCon into next year. I think anyway.

xthumbsupx

What if WCU and The Citadel both win out -FBS? Would UTC still be ranked, and who would get in?

If we both win out that gives UTC two conference losses and one loss against a high ranked team, but WCU only has one conference loss. Maybe UTC still has an even chance of getting in under that scenario simply based on their ranking over the whole season? Early ranking bias? I dont know.

All I know right now is that I like where we are. Barring a loss to Mercer or VMI (possible for sure) we are likely in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chattanoogamocs
October 27th, 2015, 04:02 PM
I don't think any Chattanooga fan will argue that the Mocs aren't clicking on all cylinders like last year...and at the same time, I would say just about every Moc fan would agree that the conference, overall is better. So it is not really surprising that the scores are closer.

Plus, the bullseye on the Mocs back has gotten larger this year...everyone is going to be up to play a top 10 team.

And while it is impressive that WCU has won 4 straight, it should still be noted that 3 of the 4 have been at home. That is a great way to get healthy (and gain confidence). But honestly, except for Samford, none of the wins have been overwhelming (and quite frankly, Samford's defense is awful, so I am not surprised to see Troy Mitchell, etal, have a good day).

At the same time, the Mocs have played 4 of their last 5 on the road...winning all 5. Except for Furman (the home game), none of them have been exceptional, but winning that much on the road...when you are getting everyone's best shot, does say something about the resiliency of Chattanooga.

Western will definitely be tough and after last years utter humiliation in Cullowhee (I am still waiting to hear that bell ring ;) ), I am sure they are going to try and throw a knock out punch right out of the gate. It is going to be a great game. Glad it is for homecoming and the weather will be nice, because this game deserves a great crowd.

chattanoogamocs
October 27th, 2015, 04:07 PM
If we both win out that gives UTC two conference losses and one loss against a high ranked team, but WCU only has one conference loss. Maybe UTC still has an even chance of getting in under that scenario simply based on their ranking over the whole season? Early ranking bias? I dont know.

All I know right now is that I like where we are. Barring a loss to Mercer or VMI (possible for sure) we are likely in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty certain that no SoCon team with 2 conference losses is going to get an at-large. 1 loss, yes, two losses no. I also think that in the case of a WCU/CIT/UTC "3-way," WCU is sitting at home (because of the two FBS + Non FCS schedule). Just my honest, no bias, gut feeling.

The Cats
October 27th, 2015, 06:26 PM
I am pretty certain that no SoCon team with 2 conference losses is going to get an at-large. 1 loss, yes, two losses no. I also think that in the case of a WCU/CIT/UTC "3-way," WCU is sitting at home (because of the two FBS + Non FCS schedule). Just my honest, no bias, gut feeling.

It looks like if no SoCon team with two conference losses gets an at-large, then the Mocs will remain at home. Just my honest, no bias, gut feeling.

ElCid
October 27th, 2015, 06:45 PM
At the same time, the Mocs have played 4 of their last 5 on the road...winning all 5. Except for Furman (the home game), none of them have been exceptional, but winning that much on the road...when you are getting everyone's best shot, does say something about the resiliency of Chattanooga.

I have agree with this. I have been closely watching the Mocs progress in regard to this schedule thinking they would stumble at least once. They didn't obviously, to their credit.

But, now that you have all those wins.......

here's hoping they do stumble in the next 3 weeks!xdrunkyx

tenNesseeCat
October 27th, 2015, 07:14 PM
I'd say they've been stumbling, just not completely tripped up yet. This weekend will be the biggest test for UTC thus far in conference. I think this is the biggest game for WCU, but The Citadel was our biggest test. They were flat out ready for us. Looking back, to be in the game still in the 4th is fairly remarkable. Considering how poor our O was playing. We are still having to fight past preceptions, but a win this weekend would go a long way for Western. Win or lose, the program is on the rise, which is good for the SoCon. I hope there are good hard fought games from here on out, with no serious injuries. I want all headed to the playoffs to be tested and healthy for a deep run.

chattownmocs
October 27th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Is this real life? These idiots can't be serious.

DoWe
October 27th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Unless you are blowing them out, you are a pretender. "best shot" is BS and won't get you any further in the playoffs than you have already been. The SoCon needs new leadership, and it ain't the Mocs. Good riddance to a perennial under-achiever!

chattanoogamocs
October 27th, 2015, 09:49 PM
It looks like if no SoCon team with two conference losses gets an at-large, then the Mocs will remain at home. Just my honest, no bias, gut feeling.

Sorry your AD has given you guys a **** schedule two years in a row, making it nearly impossible to for the Catamounts to have any chance at an at-large.

Hey quick question...I still haven't gotten a cat fan to explain to me what that bell is for at your stadium. I sat through the whole game last year and they never rung it once, is it just for special occasions?

CID1990
October 28th, 2015, 01:14 AM

I think if you are correct then there is no realistic scenario at this point where the SoCon could get 3 teams in.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2015, 05:46 AM
I think if you are correct then there is no realistic scenario at this point where the SoCon could get 3 teams in.

Just rambling, but remember that Furman can still be 7-4 (5-2). Citadel, WCU, and UTC all still have likely losses to FBS programs on the horizon.

I don't recall whether the selection committee is bound by conference tie breaker rules. I think they can pick who they want to pick. There is a realistic scenario where say Citadel (lose to UTC and USC), WCU (lose to Furman/UTC and TAMU), and Furman are all at 7-4. I think that would create an interesting beauty contest for the post season.

Now, that is a big IF to say that Furman wins out. Maybe they will maybe they won't. I don't think Furman could win any tie breakers with anyboy but WCU (as we play them next week).

I'm not taking anything for granted, though. No team in the SoCon has showed a real ability to dominate this conference in 2015. It would not shock me if VMI or Mercer picked off the Citadel the next two weeks. Lot of strange things can happen.

ElCid
October 28th, 2015, 06:15 AM
I'm not taking anything for granted, though. No team in the SoCon has showed a real ability to dominate this conference in 2015.

I would edit this to say "yet" but we are well on the way. I think that this is pretty dominating, so far. Disregarding the final scores, the only game that felt close was WCU. Even after Furman made a run in the third, I was not worried.

WCU (H) - 28-10
Wofford (H) - 39-12
Samford (A) - 44-25
Furman (A) - 38-17

This is not as dominating but when you consider that they had to play the last 4 of 5 on the road, closer games are expected. I think we will learn a lot about UTC this weekend.

Chatty
Samford (A) - 31-21
Furman (H) - 31-3
VMI (A) - 33-27
Wofford (A) - 20-17

It would not shock me if VMI or Mercer picked off the Citadel the next two weeks. Lot of strange things can happen.

No sandbagging, but it will shock me if one of them doesn't. Are we better than both? I absolutely think so. But I think he Dogs are leaning how to win, and it will not be as easy as it has been in the past for this success to get into their heads. But not sure we have completely turned that corner. I fear VMI more than Mercer. I think it will be a real shootout.

Smitty
October 28th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Hey quick question...I still haven't gotten a cat fan to explain to me what that bell is for at your stadium. I sat through the whole game last year and they never rung it once, is it just for special occasions?

It is the victory bell (I know a little ironic). The original bell was rung from 1904 to 1938 to signal class periods then relocated and was rung after athletic victories. They stopped this after the bell was broken in a prank. That bell is hanging in the alumni tower in the middle of the campus.

In 2009 they decided to bring back the victory bell and its tradition.

CID1990
October 28th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Just rambling, but remember that Furman can still be 7-4 (5-2). Citadel, WCU, and UTC all still have likely losses to FBS programs on the horizon.

I don't recall whether the selection committee is bound by conference tie breaker rules. I think they can pick who they want to pick. There is a realistic scenario where say Citadel (lose to UTC and USC), WCU (lose to Furman/UTC and TAMU), and Furman are all at 7-4. I think that would create an interesting beauty contest for the post season.

Now, that is a big IF to say that Furman wins out. Maybe they will maybe they won't. I don't think Furman could win any tie breakers with anyboy but WCU (as we play them next week).

I'm not taking anything for granted, though. No team in the SoCon has showed a real ability to dominate this conference in 2015. It would not shock me if VMI or Mercer picked off the Citadel the next two weeks. Lot of strange things can happen.

I am discounting the FBS games, but if The Citadel's only SoCon loss is to UTC then there won't be much of a beauty contest between us and WCU or Furman regardless of how well they finish. El Cid will get the at large (and if not we will have to replace the term "Woffed" with "Citadeled"), and then the only way WCU would be in would be to win out, including over the FBS.

So I stand corrected on one thing- there probably is a scenario by which the SoCon gets 3 teams in, but it is just extremely unlikely (but would be welcome)

Smitty
October 28th, 2015, 07:11 AM

You had FG win over Wofford to keep from going into OT, you trailed to VMI and had to come back to win (kudos). Even you should know that those games were closer than they should have been and you may not be bullet proof...

CID1990
October 28th, 2015, 07:15 AM

Well if the point spreads keep going the way they are going you may have to ask that same question of the bookies in Vegas because if all they have to go on is common opponents they will probably give The Citadel -1 over UTC.

UTC may well win out in the SoCon but right now there is nothing to suggest that anyone is an idiot for thinking they are very beatable.

Catamount87
October 28th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Sorry your AD has given you guys a **** schedule two years in a row, making it nearly impossible to for the Catamounts to have any chance at an at-large.

Unfortunately, the two FBS games are about funding. Those two games will provide somewhere around 8-10% of the entire athletic budget. To add to that, I suspect the D2 game is also about funding. The guarantee we pay out is, as I have heard, about 50% less than if we played an FCS school, even a non-scholarship one at that. Plus, it gets us that additional home game which we only have 5 this year.

Any bets on if the committee is faced with such wacky scenarios that in the back of their mind how well a team travels plays a part in the decision? Let's face it, the NCAA has to sell tickets to generate the revenue, so numbers do matter.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2015, 07:49 AM
I am discounting the FBS games, but if The Citadel's only SoCon loss is to UTC then there won't be much of a beauty contest between us and WCU or Furman regardless of how well they finish. El Cid will get the at large (and if not we will have to replace the term "Woffed" with "Citadeled"), and then the only way WCU would be in would be to win out, including over the FBS.

So I stand corrected on one thing- there probably is a scenario by which the SoCon gets 3 teams in, but it is just extremely unlikely (but would be welcome)

At this stage, we don't know enough. Assume the following happens:

(1) Citadel loses to Mercer/VMI and then to UTC.

(2) WCU beats UTC and loses to Furman.

(3) Furman wins out.

(4) WCU, UTC, and Citadel all lose their remaining FBS games.

You would then have UTC as the #1 team at 8-3 (6-1). You would then have Citadel at 7-4 (5-2) with conference losses to UTC and Mercer/VMI. Furman would be 7-4 (5-2) with losses to UTC/Citadel. WCU would be 7-4 (5-2) with losses to Furman and Citadel.

Just in that scenario, I think Citadel would be the technical #2 team as they would win tie breakers with Furman and WCU. However, if the playoff committee is looking for a second SoCon team it may go beyond that to body of work. WCU and Citadel's failure play an all FCS scholarship schedule and without a quality out of conference win may hurt them when compared to Furman, who has an all-FCS schedule, beaten an FBS team, and also has a quality OOC win (SC State).

If, for instance, WCU loses to UTC and then to Furman, then you just talking about Citadel and Furman, I think, for the second spot. As a Furman fan, who has little chance to see their team win the conference, I suppose I would just as soon UTC beat WCU this weekend so Furman could knock them out of playoff contention next week.

Again, at this stage, these are just all hypothetical. It is not like the above scenario is beyond comprehension, though.

chattownmocs
October 28th, 2015, 07:51 AM
All I know is, ole chattanooga has won 11 straight socon games, 6 straight games currently. But yeah, they're done, dead, finished. Theyll roll over and play dead for western and the citadel and let them take the socon. No problem.

tenNesseeCat
October 28th, 2015, 07:53 AM

If we win out -FBS, that would put us at 8-3 with a win over a top 5 team and a loss to a top 25 team. The Citadel and UTC would have equal records, with a win each vs top 25 but two losses to top 25. That would be teams ranked at the end of the year, if CSU remains ranked. Also, WCU has the tougher schedule of the three from what I've seen.

We are all playing the what if game, and trying to get in the heads of those who select playoff teams. It is entertaining though!

Smitty
October 28th, 2015, 09:10 AM
All I know is, ole chattanooga has won 11 straight socon games, 6 straight games currently. But yeah, they're done, dead, finished. Theyll roll over and play dead for western and the citadel and let them take the socon. No problem.

Much appreciated.

CID1990
October 28th, 2015, 09:38 AM

They've only won 4 in a row that mean anything.

So has The Citadel.

tenNesseeCat
October 28th, 2015, 11:23 AM

I don't think anyone is taking UTC as such, but they are beatable this year!

The kicking game is one thing, that I think, will help WCU in this game. We had a punt of 65 yards vs Samford. Had it taken a bounce to stay in-bounds, it could have gone for 75-80. Our offense may sputter, but the other teams are going to have to have sustained long drives to score.

Mocs123
October 28th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I agree that UTC is beatable (especially if they play like last week), but I think every team in the SoCon can win on any given Saturday. I mean does anybody want to play VMI? They may be the one of the worst teams in the conference but they are dangerous.

What about Mercer? They have no SoCon wins but they are within striking distance every game.

If I was a coach I would be on edge every week.

Toby
October 28th, 2015, 05:58 PM
I agree that UTC is beatable (especially if they play like last week), but I think every team in the SoCon can win on any given Saturday. I mean does anybody want to play VMI? They may be the one of the worst teams in the conference but they are dangerous.

What about Mercer? They have no SoCon wins but they are within striking distance every game.

If I was a coach I would be on edge every week.

With only 2 scholarship recruiting classes (and half of those in the last class redshirted) versus teams with 4 to 5 scholarship recruiting classes.

OL FU
October 28th, 2015, 07:39 PM
With only 2 scholarship recruiting classes (and half of those in the last class redshirted) versus teams with 4 to 5 scholarship recruiting classes.

I for one an impressed . And actually surprised more Ws haven't happened. Not sure why the games are so close without a win. I fear for my paladins.

ElCid
October 28th, 2015, 07:50 PM

Total of 4 losses by 7, 7, 3, 1 with one OT. Yeah it will not take much. You should have done better against Tenn Tech and you had Wofford. I sure hope my Bulldogs do not pull what they did last year in Macon or with Chuck South earlier this year. If we get up on you, we need to keep burying you and not let up. I want no come backs like you guys always seem to do.

Mocs123
October 28th, 2015, 08:25 PM
I agree and am impressed with what Mercer has been able to do. I never expected them to be so competitive so quickly.

It doesn't look like ETSU will find success so quickly.

longtimemocfan
October 29th, 2015, 04:52 AM
I have to agree we haven't been too impressive the last several games, but that can be turned around very quickly. We have too much talent to be playing the level that we have been. The defense has been pretty good. The offense has been the side of the ball that has been disappointing. Hopefully we get right this Saturday or it could be a long day.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2015, 05:26 AM
I don't think anyone is taking UTC as such, but they are beatable this year!

The kicking game is one thing, that I think, will help WCU in this game. We had a punt of 65 yards vs Samford. Had it taken a bounce to stay in-bounds, it could have gone for 75-80. Our offense may sputter, but the other teams are going to have to have sustained long drives to score.

In the preseason I said UTC was the clear favorite, but the gap between them and the SoCon would not nearly be as wide as it was last year. I think that is still true. Still the best team, but they are certainly beatable.

Catamount87
October 29th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Total of 4 losses by 7, 7, 3, 1 with one OT. Yeah it will not take much. You should have done better against Tenn Tech and you had Wofford. I sure hope my Bulldogs do not pull what they did last year in Macon or with Chuck South earlier this year. If we get up on you, we need to keep burying you and not let up. I want no come backs like you guys always seem to do.

Coaches like to say a team is learning to win and this is where it shows they are still learning how to win those tight games. I've wondered if self doubt has been creeping in though. They had success early as a program but are struggling to find it now. They know they have the talent on the field to be competitive with just about anyone. Now they have to find that extra that takes them over the top.

Talk about losing the "it", what about Wofford? That's starting to look like a slow death down in Spartanburg and that's not good for the SoCon.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Coaches like to say a team is learning to win and this is where it shows they are still learning how to win those tight games. I've wondered if self doubt has been creeping in though. They had success early as a program but are struggling to find it now. They know they have the talent on the field to be competitive with just about anyone. Now they have to find that extra that takes them over the top.

Talk about losing the "it", what about Wofford? That's starting to look like a slow death down in Spartanburg and that's not good for the SoCon.

I think that intangible is completely relevant. I have seen it with Furman. You aren't hitting on all cylinders every week, but some weeks, you have to know that you are going to get the job done and finish the game.

Furman teams of a few years ago would expect to win and it would show late in games. We've lost that the last few years. A few times this season you have seen flashes of it, against VMI in particular, where the team is figuring out that they don't care what the scoreboard says at halftime, it is our game.

I also see a lot of doubt. Our offense struggles so badly at times that you can palpably feel the wind go out of the team when they are playing from behind. It is as if they know that once the margin goes to two scores, they are unlikely to make up the difference. It has got to be demoralizing for a defense to give up 17 points and know that your offense may only score 15.

walliver
October 29th, 2015, 10:41 AM

"It" is definitely missing. Injuries have been a real issue with several key players out, and we are playing a number of freshmen, but there seems to be something else going on. We have started three different QB's this year (NOT due to injuries), and won't know until game time who wins the lottery this week. Unforced turnovers have been contributing factors in three losses so far - bad exchanges and passes way off the mark. We have a chance to finish the season with a 3 game winning streak, but if we don't protect the ball, we could easily finish with a 6 game losing streak.

We have had seasons like this all throughout Mike Ayers' tenure, but usually it is just a once every 4 or 5 year thing. This is our third down year in a row. Hopefully Ayers' can turn things around. With our budget, there is no way we could afford another coach of his caliber.

Catamount87
October 29th, 2015, 12:42 PM
"It" is definitely missing. Injuries have been a real issue with several key players out, and we are playing a number of freshmen, but there seems to be something else going on. We have started three different QB's this year (NOT due to injuries), and won't know until game time who wins the lottery this week. Unforced turnovers have been contributing factors in three losses so far - bad exchanges and passes way off the mark. We have a chance to finish the season with a 3 game winning streak, but if we don't protect the ball, we could easily finish with a 6 game losing streak.

We have had seasons like this all throughout Mike Ayers' tenure, but usually it is just a once every 4 or 5 year thing. This is our third down year in a row. Hopefully Ayers' can turn things around. With our budget, there is no way we could afford another coach of his caliber.

Execution and chemistry to a lesser degree both seem to be fickle for Wofford. The few times I've seen them play, play calling, clock management and coaching decisions have been big factors too. Just look at the 4th quarter against WCU as a perfect example of all those factors at work and how an opponent takes full advantage.

SU DOG
October 29th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Of course, Samford is another team that does NOT seem to have the "IT" factor. Injuries and playing Fr. are not an issue. There has been talk of team dissention, lack of leadership by upper classmen, and perhaps even coaches' dissention. I think 1 or 2 talented players have already been dismissed. Samford is not known for giving much in the way of multiple chances. Hatcher even made a statement this week about playing some younger guys against Furman, and praised the practices so far. Should make for an interesting Saturday in Homewood AL, as Furman faces Samford in the "Prozac Backsliding Bowl."

Mocs123
October 31st, 2015, 02:42 PM
What happened to Hannon? Is he hurt or just not playing?

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2015, 05:20 PM
SoCon Standings

5-0 Chattanooga (7-1)
5-0 The Citadel (6-2)
3-2 Western Carolina (5-3)
2-2 Furman (4-4)
2-3 Wofford (4-5)
1-4 Samford (3-5)
1-4 VMI (2-7)
0-4 Mercer (2-5)

SoCon Scores

Warner 9
East Tennessee State 42
(A: 6,480)

Wofford 41
VMI 20
(A: 4,437)

Mercer 19
The Citadel 21
(A: 10,006)

Western Carolina 13
Chattanooga 41
(A: 11,495)

Furman 20
Samford 17(A: 4,013)

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2015, 05:35 PM
1. Chattanooga 11,107
Jacksonville State 15,812
Mars Hill 9,491
Furman 7,630
Western Carolina 11,495

3. Western Carolina 10,508
Mars Hill 12,348
Presbyterian 9,191
Mercer 8,479
Samford 12,014

3. Mercer 10,308
Stetson 11,267
Wofford 10,489
East Tennessee State 9,722
VMI 9,754

4. The Citadel 9,829
Davidson 8,665
Western Carolina 8,048
Charleston Southern 11,998
Wofford 10,428
Mercer 10,006

5. Wofford 7,456
Tennessee Tech 6,834
Gardner-Webb 6,932
Western Carolina 7,344
Chattanooga 8,713

East Tennessee State 7,293
Kennesaw State 8,217
Maryville 7,357
Emory & Henry 8,413
St. Francis 6,000
Warner 6,480

6. Furman 6,901
Coastal Carolina 6,563
VMI 7,915
South Carolina State 1,002
The Citadel 12,124

7. Samford 5,818
Central Arkansas 6,259
Florida A&M 4,714
Chattanooga 9,088
The Citadel 4,927
Furman 4,103

8. VMI 4,829
Morehead State 5,016
Bucknell 3,713
Samford 4,875
Chattanooga 6,104
Wofford 4,437

bjtheflamesfan
October 31st, 2015, 05:55 PM
I have one big question about UTC at this point, and Im not trying to be a hater in asking this: Who will carry the load offensively for the Mocs in 2016? Huesman had more than half of their offensive yards in the win over WCU today, and in many cases, has picked up the majority of their yards.

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2015, 06:11 PM
I have one big question about UTC at this point, and Im not trying to be a hater in asking this: Who will carry the load offensively for the Mocs in 2016? Huesman had more than half of their offensive yards in the win over WCU today, and in many cases, has picked up the majority of their yards.

Alejandro Bennifield (So. 6-2, 215) has been patiently waiting in the wings. Near identical style to Huesman (6-2, 220).

Bennifield is one of those kids that is so talented, the staff wants to try and get him on the field anywhere...he has QB'ed in some scenarios (and has gotten some 4th quarter duty). They have had him in as an RB, a WR...and he rugby punts at least once or twice a game.

For instance, against WCU he had 4 rushes, 1 reception and 2 punts.

OL FU
October 31st, 2015, 06:51 PM
What happened to Hannon? Is he hurt or just not playing?
The word was concussion . Didn't practice this week

Mocs123
October 31st, 2015, 07:39 PM

We will have a hard time replacing Huesman but the coaches seem really high on Bennifield and we should hand it off to a good group of running backs next year.

Bennifield was a great passing QB in high school and didn't run a whole lot. We haven't got to see him pass much but he has been on the field quite a bit.

I actually think we run Huesman a little too much. He is an amazing athlete though. He is tough and knows how to win. He generally makes good decisions with the ball as well (except that one pass last week against Wofford.)

PaladinFan
October 31st, 2015, 08:59 PM
Furman with a heckuva win tonight. Looked terrible in the first half, then comes out and shuts out Samford in the second half and ran up over 300 yards of offense.

Would be interested to know the last time the "Hatch Attack" was shutout in a half in an FCS game.

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2015, 09:19 PM
Furman with a heckuva win tonight. Looked terrible in the first half, then comes out and shuts out Samford in the second half and ran up over 300 yards of offense.

Would be interested to know the last time the "Hatch Attack" was shutout in a half in an FCS game.

Mocs kind of shut them out for a half...Samford scored 14 in the 1st quarter (they were up 14-7), then UTC shut them out for the 2nd and 3rd quarters, scoring 24 straight, before Samford got a 4th quarter score when the game was no longer really in doubt.

My only thought concerning the "Hatch Attack" is whether or not Samford is already having buyers remorse.

On a side note, Chattanooga is only giving up 6.75 points a game in the 2nd half for the season to date.

PaladinFan
October 31st, 2015, 09:44 PM
Mocs kind of shut them out for a half...Samford scored 14 in the 1st quarter (they were up 14-7), then UTC shut them out for the 2nd and 3rd quarters, scoring 24 straight, before Samford got a 4th quarter score when the game was no longer really in doubt.

My only thought concerning the "Hatch Attack" is whether or not Samford is already having buyers remorse.

On a side note, Chattanooga is only giving up 6.75 points a game in the 2nd half for the season to date.

They've got a talented freshman QB. Furman started to sniff it out and make adjustments after half time. He tried to force a throw into double coverage that was a backbreaker in the fourth quarter.

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2015, 09:56 PM
I think I may be overly critical because I still remember UTC's "Air Raid" offense from back in the day.

Personally, I just don't think Hatcher is ever going to be more than a .500 coach at the FCS level (I will be happy to eat crow someday down the road if I am wrong).

PaladinFan
October 31st, 2015, 10:04 PM
I think I may be overly critical because I still remember UTC's "Air Raid" offense from back in the day.

Personally, I just don't think Hatcher is ever going to be more than a .500 coach at the FCS level (I will be happy to eat crow someday down the road if I am wrong).

Hard to know. Probably need to give him some time to install his guys and his system.

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2015, 10:08 PM
Hard to know. Probably need to give him some time to install his guys and his system.

A big part of me thinks...this is what you are going to get, he's a .500 coach at the FCS level...but then there is a part of me that thinks 1) he never got a chance at GSU (3o or die) and 2) he probably had no real support from the AD at basketball crazy Murray State. Maybe Samford will be the place that will give him the resources he needs to be successful. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was amazing at Valdosta State.

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2015, 11:09 PM
Exhibit A:

Chattanooga Mocs still motivated by 2014 trash talk from WCU
The words still resonate in the minds of most of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football players.
"We're going to put you in your place." "You guys are overrated."

Those were statements made by Western Carolina players prior to the teams' first-place showdown last Nov. 1. The Mocs responded with a 51-0 win, rushing for 386 yards as a team.

The Catamounts didn't speak as boisterously prior to Saturday's game at UTC, but the fourth-ranked Mocs hadn't forgot. And it showed.

For the second straight season, the Mocs made a powerful statement to the opponents from Cullowhee, N.C. The final score was 41-13, but it could have been much worse considering UTC rolled up 384 yards of total offense in taking a resounding 35-6 lead at the break, with quarterback Jacob Huesman completing all 10 of his passes for 169 yards and Derrick Craine rushing for 80 yards and four scores.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/nov/01/mocs-still-motivated-2014-trash-talk-wcu/333575/

catamount man
November 1st, 2015, 06:54 AM
Craine is a beast. No crying here. Speir said it best in that we'll wear this whipping and regroup. We're 5-3 and can have back to back winning seasons for the first time since 1992-93-94. Baby steps.

longtimemocfan
November 3rd, 2015, 08:05 PM
Craine is a beast. No crying here. Speir said it best in that we'll wear this whipping and regroup. We're 5-3 and can have back to back winning seasons for the first time since 1992-93-94. Baby steps.

You guy's are where we were a few years back.You continue to steadily improve each season. I think the biggest hurdle you must clear is your line play, especially on defense. You have to be able to win some of those battles during the course of a game.

Catamount87
November 4th, 2015, 07:35 AM
You guy's are where we were a few years back.You continue to steadily improve each season. I think the biggest hurdle you must clear is your line play, especially on defense. You have to be able to win some of those battles during the course of a game.

Yep, there are A LOT of similarities between UTC and WCU football over the last decade or so with similar paths walked. Our path just so happened to go much deeper into the abyss than UTC's.

I recall a UTC/Geo Southern game I watched on TV, maybe 2011. It went into overtime and UTC lost really on a risky coaching decision when they should have kicked a field goal. Even though y'all lost it was clear, that game helped greatly solidify the confidence and belief the players and coaches had in themselves.

What I see with us is that we are on the cusp of that consistent belief. We aren't there yet but it's coming.

That all said, kudos to the Mocs for a great game this past Saturday and showing us what great teams do and how they get motivated. Maybe, just maybe our similar paths and recent history will build into a new rivalry in the Socon, helping propel the SoCon back to the top of FCS football.