PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota picks new Mascot!

Pages : [1] 2

SUUTbird
October 25th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Personally I hope they go with the Rough Riders, unique nickname based off the badasses that stormed San Juan Hill!

Http://www.inforum.com/news/3867818-und-nickname-vote-comes-close-results-expected-early-next-week

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 25th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Plus the DMX song for intro and hype videos.

FCSwatcher
October 25th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Doubt the Roughriders as a high school team in Grand Forks already uses that nickname

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 25th, 2015, 07:20 AM
My wife in an alum of UND, she voted for North Stars. I would have voted North Stars also if I had a vote.

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Plus the DMX song for intro and hype videos.

Has to be the worst rapper ever. All he does is grunt and bark like a dog. And yeah the whole dog fighting thing.

Pards Rule
October 25th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Doubt the Roughriders as a high school team in Grand Forks already uses that nickname

Then the Cavalry? Or does that bring back memories of June 26, 1876 and that event in present day Montana?

bobcathpdevil56
October 25th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Then the Cavalry? Or does that bring back memories of June 26, 1876 and that event in present day Montana?

I would think that the events of December 29, 1890 at Wounded Knee, in South Dakota, would be another good reason not to have the nickname Cavalry.

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Teams that change nicknames for political correctness do so at their own peril, with really stupid mascot choices that follow. Ask St. John's.

http://www.redstormsports.com/ot/mascot-search.html

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 25th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Has to be the worst rapper ever. All he does is grunt and bark like a dog. And yeah the whole dog fighting thing.

Rap?

People listen to that crap?

JayJ79
October 25th, 2015, 09:43 AM

Ames High School mascot is the Cyclones (same as Iowa State)
Iowa City High mascot is the Hawks (same as U of Iowa)
Cedar Falls used to have a high school with the mascot of Panthers (granted, it was a school run by the college of education at UNI).

SDFS
October 25th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Teams that change nicknames for political correctness do so at their own peril, with really stupid mascot choices that follow. Ask St. John's.

To late for this warning.. have you seen the choices. I am OK with anything other than Fighting Hawks or Sundogs.. It will be interesting to see the results:

1) The PC crowd and faculty pushing the Sundogs hard
2) The hockey team and beat writers got behind Nodak late in the game..
3) General student population was behind the Fighting Hawks early..
4) Most UND supporters in GF are against Riders because of a local high school.
5) UND Supporters outside of GF seem to be going with Riders.

Like I said anything other than Sundogs and Fighting Hawks. I voted for Riders. I see a run-off between Nodak and Riders, so it is not done yet one more vote to go.

veinup
October 25th, 2015, 10:12 AM
maybe there's something i dont understand here .. but .. Nodaks? wtf does that mean? is that actually a noun of some kind or is it just a shortening of North Dakota?

ps DMX rules ARF ARF

clenz
October 25th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Cedar Falls used to have a high school with the mascot of Panthers (granted, it was a school run by the college of education at UNI).
Ames is actually the Little Cyclones

Iowa City High is actually the Little Hawks, though they use the exact same logo as the Hawkeyes just in red.

Cedar Falls Norhern University was actually the Little Panthers

taper
October 25th, 2015, 11:07 AM

All of these are high schools named after the university. UND might take a name of a high school. That's a big difference in my view.

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2015, 11:15 AM
maybe there's something i dont understand here .. but .. Nodaks? wtf does that mean? is that actually a noun of some kind or is it just a shortening of North Dakota?

ps DMX rules ARF ARF

Nodicks...No dicks jokes everywhere!

Laker
October 25th, 2015, 11:33 AM
My wife in an alum of UND, she voted for North Stars. I would have voted North Stars also if I had a vote.

I would too. Sundogs is way too trendy, there are way too many Hawk schools already, Nodaks just doesn't make it. Roughriders at least has a connection.

Bronco
October 25th, 2015, 12:10 PM
-

The fighting Sue named after the famous dinosaur "Sue" the nickname given to FMNH PR 2081, which is the largest, most extensive and best preserved Tyrannosaurus Rex that was found in the Dakota's

Would also be a jab in the eye to the NCAA

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mbb8b499d26c90df28295322ad03b77b3H0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2015, 12:59 PM
You guys are silly.......just because there was a vote doesn't mean anything. xlolx

clenz
October 25th, 2015, 01:00 PM
You guys are silly.......just because there was a vote doesn't mean anything. xlolx
Yup....Just like when the Native American tribe voted to allow the name and then the elders decided to ignore that vote and demand it be changed....

Nickels
October 25th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Like I said anything other than Sundogs and Fighting Hawks.
I agree those 2 are lame. Sundogs? Really? I knew their was lame ass crowd behind that one before you even outlined it. I don't exactly think sun when I think of ND either. That's like a Houston team going with Huskies as a mascot/nickname.

IMO they should go with something unique. What I like about ours is the spelling. If I search online for Sam Houston I get tons of crap that I'm not looking for because half of this state is named after Sam Houston. But we're the only Bearkats in the country so that makes online searches easier. It wasn't the intentions when the nickname was coined nearly a century ago but worked out that way.

I prefer Nodaks. Riders is ok too but it leaves you to open for gay jokes.

ngineer
October 25th, 2015, 01:03 PM
-

The fighting Sue named after the famous dinosaur "Sue" the nickname given to FMNH PR 2081, which is the largest, most extensive and best preserved Tyrannosaurus Rex that was found in the Dakota's

Would also be a jab in the eye to the NCAA

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mbb8b499d26c90df28295322ad03b77b3H0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300
Howabout the "Boys Named Sue"...my favorite Johnny Cash song.

ngineer
October 25th, 2015, 01:05 PM
I vote for the Teddy Bears--T.R. Roosevelt's ranch and the great national park great places to visit.

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2015, 01:06 PM
What if none of the names receives more than 50 percent of votes?
A runoff vote will be held between the top two contenders. Johnson said those eligible for the secondary vote would be the same who could vote the first time.

Zero percent chance that one of the choices will have over 50% of the vote....there will be another vote after this vote and plenty of time to bitch about the final 2 choices.

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I agree those 2 are lame. Sundogs? Really? I knew their was lame ass crowd behind that one before you even outlined it. I don't exactly think sun when I think of ND either. That's like a Houston team going with Huskies as a mascot/nickname.

IMO they should go with something unique. What I like about ours is the spelling. If I search online for Sam Houston I get tons of crap that I'm not looking for because half of this state is named after Sam Houston. But we're the only Bearkats in the country so that makes online searches easier. It wasn't the intentions when the nickname was coined nearly a century ago but worked out that way.

Being from Texas you must not be familiar with Sundogs. North Dakota definitely has them.

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Being from Texas you must not be familiar with Sundogs. North Dakota definitely has them.

Many times during the winter, too. Normally on very cold but beautiful days.

veinup
October 25th, 2015, 02:33 PM
wtf is a nodak

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2015, 02:37 PM

I believe they are only visible during the winter.

- - - Updated - - -

wtf is a nodak

And do they not realized they will be called the nodicks?

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I believe they are only visible during the winter.

- - - Updated - - -

And do they not realized they will be called the nodicks?

Yes, only in the winter, or at least cold days because it requires crystals to be in the air.

I honestly don't think they do...because the joke has been used a LOT by Minnesota and NDSU fans already.

Laker
October 25th, 2015, 03:11 PM

Yep. Plenty of them up here. Usually you know it is a darn cold day. And you see them on the left and on the right of where the sun is. I could say with a certainty that there are a lot more of them up north than in the south. Unless a sundog has another connotation.

Bisonoline
October 25th, 2015, 03:16 PM

They havent been paying attention. LOL LOL

taper
October 25th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Yup....Just like when the Native American tribe voted to allow the name and then the elders decided to ignore that vote and demand it be changed....

Which tribe would that be? Wasn't Spirit Lake, they voted yes and the council approved.
https://turtletalk.wordpress.com/2009/09/21/spirit-lake-tribal-council-approves-perpetual-use-of-the-fighting-sioux-name-for-und/

Wasn't Standing Rock, they never had a tribal vote. They have over 20 years of official opposition to the nickname. Resolutions against the nickname were passed in 1992, 1998, and 2005. Many council elections were held in that time. No council ever rescinded the tribe's opposition.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/05/31/58118.htm

Wasn't the state-wide ballot measure in 2012, that passed more than 2-1 against keeping the nickname. Every single county voted to drop the name, including Grand Forks county(71.4 to 28.6%) and Sioux county(53.6 to 46.4%). Sioux county is the ND portion of the Standing Rock reservation(rest is in SD).
http://results.sos.nd.gov/resultsCTY.aspx?eid=33&text=BQ&type=SW&rid=285&osn=915&map=CTY

Hammerhead
October 25th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Sundogs may not be bad since it has UND in the name -- SUNDOGS.

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2015, 05:14 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?154671-2014-2015-Avatar-wager-UND-Nickname

Posted for reference..... xlolx

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2015, 05:16 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sundog

Also...this....Go Sundogs! :D

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2015, 05:32 PM
http://www.wday.com/news/north-dakota/3868551-runoff-vote-be-held-three-remaining-und-nicknames

Three way runoff vote.....Rough Riders, Nodaks, and Fighting Hawks...

Here are the results of the preliminary vote:

Fighting Hawks: 6,960 votes; 31.20 percent

Roughriders: 4,687 votes; 21.01 percent

Nodaks: 4,571 votes; 20.49 percent

North Stars: 3,231 votes; 14.48 percent

Sundogs: 2,858 votes; 12.81 percent

Roughriders and Nodaks are going to split the hockey vote....these ****ers are going to end up being the Fighting Hawks... xlolx

Bisonoline
October 25th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Oh please let Nodiks win.xnodx

veinup
October 25th, 2015, 05:43 PM
the north dakota nodaks

ITS GOT A RING TO IT!

taper
October 25th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Original plan was to have a 2 name runoff vote if one didn't get 50%. Results came up and they decided to go with a 3 name runoff. Hmmm, I wonder if someone's rooting for Nodaks.

Catsfan90
October 25th, 2015, 06:53 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sundog

Also...this....Go Sundogs! :D
Hahaha I like sundogs :rolleyes:

Hammerhead
October 25th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Original plan was to have a 2 name runoff vote if one didn't get 50%. Results came up and they decided to go with a 3 name runoff. Hmmm, I wonder if someone's rooting for Nodaks.

Either they can't count up north or numerous reports like this one were false. http://www.inforum.com/news/3860340-about-82000-people-could-vote-und-nickname
Isn't the whole point of a runoff to make sure the final choice gets a majority of votes>

taper
October 25th, 2015, 07:22 PM
I'm not too worried about the total number of votes. If those reports are right a little over 1/4th of those eligible actually voted. There's a lot of people that just don't care about athletics or the name, are old and can't figure out the internet, didn't vote in protest, forgot, etc. The UND alum in the cube next to me at work didn't vote because he's convinced this was just a way of getting his contact info for fundraising calls.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2015, 07:29 PM
I'm not too worried about the total number of votes. If those reports are right a little over 1/4th of those eligible actually voted. There's a lot of people that just don't care about athletics or the name, are old and can't figure out the internet, didn't vote in protest, forgot, etc. The UND alum in the cube next to me at work didn't vote because he's convinced this was just a way of getting his contact info for fundraising calls.

That is probably the main point behind the method chosen.

Just like voting is how they get you for Jury Duty.

CasualFan
October 25th, 2015, 07:47 PM
My guess is they decided there wasn't a significant difference between the 2nd and 3rd choice.

SDFS
October 25th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Well, the school president has changed the rules 2 or 3 times already why not one more time.. It looks like its down to three and a majority is not required, Which is just setting him up for three names with near equal support... 33%, 33% and 34% then what does he do !?!!?!? Is he is going to go with 34% support. I don't think this is going to be the last vote...

Again, the student body is behind this one.. it appears that it took off when someone passed around a logo looking like this one..
http://newspaperrock.bluecorncomics.com/2010/06/alternative-logo-for-blackhawks.html

I think Riders is in trouble not enough support from the non-local population.

Nodaks was a late push by the hockey players and a couple of local sports writers. In addition, it is supported by the no nickname crowd because it is short for North Dakota. It will be interesting to see if it can cut into the fighting hawks lead with the general student population.

I see the Sundog group taking their ball and going home and they will not vote again. So, what does the North Star group do..

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 25th, 2015, 08:15 PM
http://www.wday.com/news/north-dakota/3868551-runoff-vote-be-held-three-remaining-und-nicknames

Three way runoff vote.....Rough Riders, Nodaks, and Fighting Hawks...

Roughriders and Nodaks are going to split the hockey vote....these ****ers are going to end up being the Fighting Hawks... xlolx

Fighting Hawks?

xlolx

All the students are voting for this crappy name. You're right about this going to be the name. My wife and all of her former friends that graduated from UND either voted RR or North Stars.

bonarae
October 25th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Fighting Hawks? Too generic. Rough Riders should be unique for college sports, as the high school mentioned before and a CFL team only have the nickname. xtwocentsx

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2015, 09:09 PM
This is such a ****fest, it seriously is putting an amazing bowtie to UNDs amazing D2 to D1 transition.

taper
October 25th, 2015, 09:24 PM
This is such a ****fest, it seriously is putting an amazing bowtie to UNDs amazing D2 to D1 transition.

And for those us living in North Dakota, it's a $5M+ ****fest, all paid by our tax dollars. The NCAA nickname policy came out in 2005. Where has the last decade gone?
http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3822861-documents-regarding-und-nickname-lawsuit-unsealed-years

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2015, 09:36 PM
And for those us living in North Dakota, it's a $5M+ ****fest, all paid by our tax dollars. The NCAA nickname policy came out in 2005. Where has the last decade gone?
http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3822861-documents-regarding-und-nickname-lawsuit-unsealed-years
Please don't remind me my hard earned money went to this BS.

clenz
October 25th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Fighting Hawks? Too generic. Rough Riders should be unique for college sports, as the high school mentioned before and a CFL team only have the nickname. xtwocentsx
There are roughly 5 high schools in Iowa that use it. A USHL team in Iowa uses it. At least 2 schools in SD use it.

It's not that unique

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2015, 09:54 PM
There are roughly 5 high schools in Iowa that use it. A USHL team in Iowa uses it. At least 2 schools in SD use it.

It's not that unique
What is unique these days? None of their options worth considering... Or ones they cut out of the process six months ago.

Kemo
October 25th, 2015, 09:59 PM
If they choose the Nodaks, I might just attend one of those "Fighting Sioux" nickname rallies...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21535&stc=1

BisonTru
October 25th, 2015, 10:18 PM

It's not that unique

Its more unique than hawks. Committee after committee after committee you heard we want to be unique, and now its likely they are going to come up with the same bird nickname nearly every school has picked that was forced to change their nickname.

Yote 53
October 26th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Fighting Hawks? All of this time and money and that is what this is coming down to? Wow, what a joke.

Roughriders is the obvious choice of the ones that are left.

Personally would have gone with Cavalry. Nokota is the state horse, unique and interesting with plenty of marketing options.

Picking a cool and unique nickname is not that hard, it's the process that is screwing this thing up. They'll end up the Fighting Green Hawks before you know it.

clenz
October 26th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Nakota was ruled out...also for cries of racism, I believe.

Cavalry would have been seen as racist

Those should have been the only two options.

PC police weren't about to let that happen

F'N Hawks
October 26th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Nakota was ruled out...also for cries of racism, I believe.

Cavalry would have been seen as racist

Those should have been the only two options.

PC police weren't about to let that happen

Welcome to picking a nickname in 2015. Not as easy as people make it sound. Yes, they could pick a mange infested animal or frankly any animal for that matter. Which, is how Hawks made it through. They tried other names but somebody always had a reason why that wouldn't be good or was racist or it didn't get enough votes.

For the life of me I will never understand how they didn't have a finalist related to the Aerospace program (Aeros, Pilots, Aviators, etc). One committee member or consultant made a comment that "there is now way to guarantee the Aerospace program will always be around". What a stupid f-cking reason to leave it off. Are Hawks always going to be around? No way to know for sure.

Yote 53
October 26th, 2015, 10:27 AM
What is racist about a horse?

What is racist about a military division?

dmksioux
October 26th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Fighting Hawks? All of this time and money and that is what this is coming down to? Wow, what a joke.

Roughriders is the obvious choice of the ones that are left.

Personally would have gone with Cavalry. Nokota is the state horse, unique and interesting with plenty of marketing options.

Picking a cool and unique nickname is not that hard, it's the process that is screwing this thing up. They'll end up the Fighting Green Hawks before you know it.

The consultants were pushing a variation of Hawk from the beginning. Three of the final fifteen were Hawk variations. I believe President Kelley is happy with either Sundogs or Fighting Hawks as they are generic and won't offend anyone. Nodaks, by the rules President Kelley laid out, should have been eliminated. Because they only lost by 116 votes, he decided to keep it for the next round, essentially guaranteeing that Fighting Hawks will be the new name. It also means that the winner will have less than 50% of the final vote as I suspect the numbers will be pretty similar to the last round. I wonder what happens if the next round of votes is close and the winner only wins by 116 votes or less? Do we end up with two nicknames, because it was so close?? There is a huge rift between students and President Kelley as the students tried to force him out last year. The saddest part of this whole deal, is that the students are pushing the Fighting Hawks at this point...which is exactly what the consultants and Dr. Kelley would like to see the new name be. :(

clenz
October 26th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Native American connotation/name

Cavalry "drove Indians to reservations"

jacksfan29
October 26th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I lay odds they go with NoDaks. Not sure why, I'm just thinking that is the way they go.

I like Sundogs better. At least it would be somewhat unique to the rest of the country.Heck, why not go with the Fighting Ralphs?

clenz
October 26th, 2015, 10:33 AM
If Hawks has to be forced there some how the best route to go was Prairie Hawks.

There's a high school here in Cedar Rapids that uses it, and I rather like it.

The large number of prairie hawks in the area makes the name relevant to the area (and nearly everything in this area is Prairie something).

It's unique. Doesn't offend anyone. I can't imagine ND doesn't have a large number of them.

- - - Updated - - -

I lay odds they go with NoDaks. Not sure why, I'm just thinking that is the way they go.

I like Sundogs better. At least it would be somewhat unique to the rest of the country.Heck, why not go with the Fighting Ralphs?
Wallace tried to force that to be what posters on AGS were called about 8 years ago.

Lead to a great revolt and a large number of leakers.

dmksioux
October 26th, 2015, 10:37 AM
If Hawks has to be forced there some how the best route to go was Prairie Hawks.

The large number of prairie hawks in the area makes the name relevant to the area (and nearly everything in this area is Prairie something).

It's unique. Doesn't offend anyone. I can't imagine ND doesn't have a large number of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Wallace tried to force that to be what posters on AGS were called about 8 years ago.

There are 40+ schools in NCAA that use some form of Hawks. There were 11 schools that used to have Native American names and switched to some form of Hawk. It is far from unique. Both Nodaks and Roughriders is at least unique to NCAA schools. Roughriders is also one of the unofficial nicknames of North Dakota. Just like Flicertails, and Sioux are. See a pattern? The most prestigious award North Dakota gives out is the Roughrider Award. The only reason people don't like it is because of the High School in town, which 99% of people living outside of ND have no idea about. It should be Roughriders...I would even settle for Nodaks before Fighting Hawks. Unfortunatley it looks like the consultants choice is going to win...

F'N Hawks
October 26th, 2015, 10:38 AM

American Indians claim every feather, horse, arrow, ...everything. So it cannot relate to anything that they have ever associated with.

Cavalry = Custer. Not good.

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2015, 10:40 AM
What a **** show :(

BluBengal07
October 26th, 2015, 10:46 AM
about time....

i remember submitting Roughriders and gave a pretty decent local history reference to the committee. good luck though. (should of screen-printed when you think about it)

PS: my high school mascot was Roughriders; Theodore Roosevelt HS. lol.

UNIFanSince1983
October 26th, 2015, 11:03 AM

- - - Updated - - -

The high school is actually named Prairie. Their mascot is just Hawks. It is Cedar Rapids Prairie high school with the nickname Hawks.

- - - Updated - - -

about time....

i remember submitting Roughriders and gave a pretty decent local history reference to the committee. good luck though. (should of screen-printed when you think about it)

PS: my high school mascot was Roughriders; Theodore Roosevelt HS. lol.

I think every Roosevelt high school is nicknamed the Rough Riders.

Laker
October 26th, 2015, 11:28 AM
The high school is actually named Prairie. Their mascot is just Hawks. It is Cedar Rapids Prairie high school with the nickname Hawks.

- - - Updated - - -

I think every Roosevelt high school is nicknamed the Rough Riders.

Unless if was named for FDR. :D

polsongrizz
October 26th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Why they didn't pick the Fighting Walleyes is beyond me...

BisonFan02
October 26th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Why they didn't pick the Fighting Walleyes is beyond me...

No doubt....I think UND should go al "AHL" with their mascot and embrace it....

Replace Walleyes with Catfish (Red River) and replace the baseball bat with a hockey stick.....add Fighting and DONE.

http://ferrebeekeeper.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/c5.gif

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2015, 12:57 PM
My team is the Mountain Hawks and even I think Fightin' Hawks stinks as a nickname.

BisonFan02
October 26th, 2015, 12:59 PM
My team is the Mountain Hawks and even I think Fightin' Hawks stinks as a nickname.

It does fit them though.................

https://littleblackbelt.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/chicken-hawk.jpg

October 26th, 2015, 01:01 PM
If they go with NoDaks UND would be returning to a previously use nickname, even if it was only for a short time just before they became the Fighting Sioux.

RootinFerDukes
October 26th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Can you guys get back to me when they ACTUALLY announce something, not the 13th announcement of a future announcement? how is this news?

deez_na
October 26th, 2015, 02:00 PM
More people were voting for Fighting Hawks than roughriders or nodaks. I just can't see why they would pick the name of one of the main high schools in town. Seems a bit lame but whatever.

centennial
October 26th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Can you guys get back to me when they ACTUALLY announce something, not the 13th announcement of a future announcement? how is this news?
The whole thing is ridiculous. Can they just decide a name..

BisonFan02
October 26th, 2015, 02:01 PM

I know those feels bro....... xlolx

gotts
October 26th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Welcome to picking a nickname in 2015. Not as easy as people make it sound. Yes, they could pick a mange infested animal or frankly any animal for that matter. Which, is how Hawks made it through. They tried other names but somebody always had a reason why that wouldn't be good or was racist or it didn't get enough votes.

For the life of me I will never understand how they didn't have a finalist related to the Aerospace program (Aeros, Pilots, Aviators, etc). One committee member or consultant made a comment that "there is now way to guarantee the Aerospace program will always be around". What a stupid f-cking reason to leave it off. Are Hawks always going to be around? No way to know for sure.

Could've been the Bad Landers :)

F'N Hawks
October 26th, 2015, 02:28 PM
The whole thing is ridiculous. Can they just decide a name..

No they can't. They have to go through an entire, transparent, everyone gets a say, process. If they didn't do it this way it would have been that Kelley was ramming a name through on his own with "no input".

Changing a nickname at a public university in 2015 sucks ballsack.

OSBF
October 26th, 2015, 02:48 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Also a consolidated district high school here in cent Illinois, the Prairie Central Hawks.

Nickels
October 26th, 2015, 02:58 PM
WOAH! Just did a search. Never even heard of it before. Pretty damn cool!

I thought it was some random name. I still don't like it for a team nickname but pretty cool phenomenon nonetheless.

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2015, 03:07 PM

I thought it was some random name. I still don't like it for a team nickname but pretty cool phenomenon nonetheless.

Like Bearkats? xeyebrowxxlolx

IBleedYellow
October 26th, 2015, 03:09 PM

Come on up to ND in January, then you can see them. They look awesome.

ST_Lawson
October 26th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Come on up to ND in January, then you can see them. They look awesome.

Until your eyeballs freeze over.

clenz
October 26th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Don't have to go that far north.

We get them in Iowa with relative regularity

Nickels
October 26th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Like Bearkats? xeyebrowxxlolx
Fair point.

centennial
October 26th, 2015, 03:15 PM
No they can't. They have to go through an entire, transparent, everyone gets a say, process. If they didn't do it this way it would have been that Kelley was ramming a name through on his own with "no input".

Well there goes my idea of manbearpig
https://rs135.pbsrc.com/albums/q136/j_e_thomas/manbearpig.jpg~c200

UNIFanSince1983
The Binturongs

Nickels
Until your eyeballs freeze over.
Was raining and in the high 50s last night. Thought I was going to die.

ST_Lawson
October 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Was raining and in the high 50s last night. Thought I was going to die.

Not far off from the weather at the WIU @ ISUr game on Saturday. I had to put on my hooded sweatshirt.

Nickels
October 26th, 2015, 03:18 PM
The Binturongs
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Binturong_in_Overloon.jpg
I say we catch one and dye it orange. PETA would flip ****. Win-win.

Nickels
October 26th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Not far off from the weather at the WIU @ ISUr game on Saturday. I had to put on my hooded sweatshirt.
My thickest jacket (windbreaker) was no match.

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2015, 03:20 PM

So he just breaks the predetermined rules and instead of the top two now he adds the 3 to appease the hockey crowd who will be on an all out push to get the name NoDaks as top vote so they can by default use no nickname and stay the fighting sioux. You guys all know that's why he did that.

uni88
October 26th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Cool print of college mascots:
http://popchartlab.com/collections/prints-sports/products/the-chart-of-collegiate-sports-teams

Winterborn
October 26th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Cool print of college mascots:
http://popchartlab.com/collections/prints-sports/products/the-chart-of-collegiate-sports-teams

No spot for the university with no name. Must feel different being a front runner and all.......xrolleyesx

SFA 71
October 26th, 2015, 09:45 PM

I really like the sam houston mascot also. You can look all you want but they are the only beercats you will find. Plus it pretty well describes the student body at the school.xthumbsupx

superman7515
October 27th, 2015, 08:25 AM
But we're the only Bearkats in the country so that makes online searches easier.

I really like the sam houston mascot also. You can look all you want but they are the only beercats you will find.

Okay, you guys convinced me to look, so I did. Schools with "Bearkats" (with a K) for a mascot: Cushing, Texas; Garden City, Texas; Klein, Texas; Raymondville, Texas; Bossier City, Louisiana; Melbourne, Arkansas; Monroe, Indiana... I stopped looking after the seventh, haha.

clenz
October 27th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Okay, you guys convinced me to look, so I did. Schools with "Bearkats" (with a K) for a mascot: Cushing, Texas; Garden City, Texas; Klein, Texas; Raymondville, Texas; Bossier City, Louisiana; Melbourne, Arkansas; Monroe, Indiana... I stopped looking after the seventh, haha.
Not even the only Bearkat in a 2 hour radius of their own damn campus...

Klein is less than an hour - 57 miles
Cushing is less than 2 hours from campus - 104 miles (only 20 miles northwest of Nacogdoches)

Yote 53
October 27th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Okay, so I actually decided to pay attention and read some articles about this process. Holy smokes, crazy! The way I understand it Fighting Hawks and Roughriders finished 1&2 with NoDaks a very close 3rd to Roughriders. The top 2 were supposed to go to a runoff (if #1 didn't get 50% of the vote). So now the school president has changed the process and allowed the top 3 names to be voted on. Isn't it kind of apparent he is allowing that in hopes that Roughriders and NoDaks will split their vote and Fighting Hawks (the president's choice) will come out on top?

BluBengal07
October 27th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Okay, so I actually decided to pay attention and read some articles about this process. Holy smokes, crazy! The way I understand it Fighting Hawks and Roughriders finished 1&2 with NoDaks a very close 3rd to Roughriders. The top 2 were supposed to go to a runoff (if #1 didn't get 50% of the vote). So now the school president has changed the process and allowed the top 3 names to be voted on. Isn't it kind of apparent he is allowing that in hopes that Roughriders and NoDaks will split their vote and Fighting Hawks (the president's choice) will come out on top?

if feels like he wants NoDaks to have a stronger consideration. unless someone is forcing his hand for it....

Nickels
October 27th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Only college team is what I was referring to. 90% of the search yields were SHSU related though weren't they?

Nickels
October 27th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Not even the only Bearkat in a 2 hour radius of their own damn campus...

Klein is less than an hour - 57 miles
Cushing is less than 2 hours from campus - 104 miles (only 20 miles northwest of Nacogdoches)
I'm sure Cushing High's 20 students have quite a web presence.

clenz
October 27th, 2015, 11:24 AM
500 students.

That's a rather large high school....5 times the size of the high school I went too

clenz
October 27th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Klein - the school less than an hour from your own campus - has an enrollment of 4,000...the 14th largest school in the entire state of Texas...14 out of ~1300. That puts them in the top 1%

That is just under double the size of the largest high school in Iowa.

Can't ignore that one.

grizband
October 27th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I don't remember the specifics, can someone explain the criteria to vote in this process?

clenz
October 27th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Klein has a larger, or nearly identical, enrollment too:

Abiline Christian

Alabama A&M

Alabama State

Alcorn State

Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Army

Bethune-Cookman

Bryant

Bucknell

Butler

Charleston Southern

Colgate

Coppin State

Davidson

Delaware State

Drake

Furman

Grambling State

Hampton University

High Point

Holy Cross

Houston Baptist

Lafayette

Lehigh

Loyola (MD)

Marist

Mississippi Valley State

Morgan State University

Mount St Mary's

Navy

Norfolk State University

Presbyterian

Samford

San Deigo

Savannah State

South Carolina State

St. Francis (PA)

St. Francis Brooklyn

Stetson

The Ctiadel

UM-Eastern Shore

UNC-Ashville

Valparaiso

VMI

Wagner

Wofford

Laker
October 27th, 2015, 12:42 PM

How about a Red Stormtrooper? Couldn't be any worse than those examples that they showed.

clenz
October 27th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I don't remember the specifics, can someone explain the criteria to vote in this process?
http://i.imgur.com/dN5LdOP.jpg

Tailbone
October 27th, 2015, 12:53 PM
UND Fighting Chew

http://media.northerner.com/media/catalog/product/cache/80/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/e/red_man_select.jpg

Nickels
October 27th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Klein has a larger, or nearly identical, enrollment too:

Abiline Christian

Alabama A&M

Alabama State

Alcorn State

Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Army

Bethune-Cookman

Bryant

Bucknell

Butler

Charleston Southern

Colgate

Coppin State

Davidson

Delaware State

Drake

Furman

Grambling State

Hampton University

High Point

Holy Cross

Houston Baptist

Lafayette

Lehigh

Loyola (MD)

Marist

Mississippi Valley State

Morgan State University

Mount St Mary's

Navy

Norfolk State University

Presbyterian

Samford

San Deigo

Savannah State

South Carolina State

St. Francis (PA)

St. Francis Brooklyn

Stetson

The Ctiadel

UM-Eastern Shore

UNC-Ashville

Valparaiso

VMI

Wagner

Wofford

And why do you think anyone gives a **** about Klein's enrollment? I already said I meant colleges. JFC. Some of your douchebags are more argumentative than women.

clenz
October 27th, 2015, 01:30 PM
And why do you think anyone gives a **** about Klein's enrollment? I already said I meant colleges. JFC. Some of your douchebags are more argumentative than women.
You brought the enrollment game up...

grizband
October 27th, 2015, 01:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dN5LdOP.jpg
You managed to answer the question, without really answering the question. Cheers!

BisonFan02
October 27th, 2015, 01:49 PM
You managed to answer the question, without really answering the question. Cheers!

You know more about this process without knowing anything......that's all you need to know. errrrrrrrrrr yeah... xlolx :D

veinup
October 27th, 2015, 02:02 PM
red stormtroopers is a good suggestion

Southern Bison
October 27th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Perfect!! They couldn't defend against the attack on the Emporor...matches the Whouix defense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2015, 05:42 PM

Do you know how much dough they would make on merchandise?

SDFS
October 27th, 2015, 05:48 PM

And we have a winner.... the consultants and the President have been pushing for "Hawks" the entire time.. your final seven two of them...:

Roughriders
Sundogs
North Stars
Nodaks
Fighting Hawks
Green Hawks
North Dakota

Now, they split the vote and you get the "Fighting Hawks" This was completed by a fair and transparent process... that changed three times... I guess it didn't change as many times as the NCAA's process - so that is an improvement.

SDFS
October 27th, 2015, 05:52 PM
So he just breaks the predetermined rules and instead of the top two now he adds the 3 to appease the hockey crowd who will be on an all out push to get the name NoDaks as top vote so they can by default use no nickname and stay the fighting sioux. You guys all know that's why he did that.

Win/Win for the school Prez... makes the hockey crowd happy and gets the name he wants. Rides off into the sunset.

BisonFan02
October 27th, 2015, 06:04 PM
And we have a winner.... the consultants and the President have been pushing for "Hawks" the entire time.. your final seven two of them...:

Roughriders
Sundogs
North Stars
Nodaks
Fighting Hawks
Green Hawks
North Dakota

Now, they split the vote and you get the "Fighting Hawks" This was completed by a fair and transparent process... that changed three times... I guess it didn't change as many times as the NCAA's process - so that is an improvement.

100% UND's problem for letting this process fly off the rails and not taking care of this ****ing years ago.......zero sympathy from me.

taper
October 27th, 2015, 08:35 PM

Real answer, current students, employees, alumni, season ticket holders, and donors. Online vote only. I'm actually glad there's no way to blame NDSU people for this mess.

Kemo
October 27th, 2015, 08:45 PM
Real answer, current students, employees, alumni, season ticket holders, and donors. Online vote only. I'm actually glad there's no way to blame NDSU people for this mess.

You know damn well there was a large contingent of Bison fans who bought UND Women's Soccer season tickets so they could sabotage the vote! Don't deny it! xtroublex

Bisonator
October 27th, 2015, 09:25 PM
100% UND's problem for letting this process fly off the rails and not taking care of this ****ing years ago.......zero sympathy from me.

Winner winner chicken dinner. The fiasco continues......xlolx

I'm guessing the "final vote" won't be the "final" either.xrotatehx

BisonFan02
October 27th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner. The fiasco continues......xlolx

I'm guessing the "final vote" won't be the "final" either.xrotatehx

If it is...do they have a committee and final vote on logos? How much more are they going to spend?

No_Skill
October 27th, 2015, 09:30 PM
You know damn well there was a large contingent of Bison fans who bought UND Women's Soccer season tickets so they could sabotage the vote! Don't deny it! xtroublex

I think you mean women's volleyball...

http://i.imgur.com/NFLYcXk.jpg

Bisonator
October 27th, 2015, 09:31 PM
If it is...do they have a committee and final vote on logos? How much more are they going to spend?

Oh **** we have to go through a whole other ****ing process for a logo! Should have this finalized in another president or 2. xlolx

Thumper 76
October 28th, 2015, 12:01 AM
I feel like this thread is a giant Rick Roll

F'N Hawks
October 28th, 2015, 08:49 AM

How could they have taken care of it "years ago"?

BisonFan02
October 28th, 2015, 12:22 PM
How could they have taken care of it "years ago"?

You're ****ing joking right?.......you have to be....I might need to reach out to good ol Hammersmith on Bisonville to get the full timeline of events, but this gong show has been festering for a long ****ing time... xlolx

gotts
October 28th, 2015, 01:30 PM
You're ****ing joking right?.......you have to be....I might need to reach out to good ol Hammersmith on Bisonville to get the full timeline of events, but this gong show has been festering for a long ****ing time... xlolx

Shhh... no, don't. Ignorance is bliss.

F'N Hawks
October 28th, 2015, 01:50 PM

Nobody wants a history lesson. I want to know what the magic solution was "years ago".

No_Skill
October 28th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Nobody wants a history lesson. I want to know what the magic solution was "years ago".

To have a little forethought, let go, and move on?

BisonBacker
October 28th, 2015, 03:58 PM
This whole **** show makes me want to do this........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlFHUjli-d8

SDFS
October 28th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Well, the school president has changed the rules 2 or 3 times already why not one more time.. It looks like its down to three and a majority is not required, Which is just setting him up for three names with near equal support... 33%, 33% and 34% then what does he do !?!!?!? Is he is going to go with 34% support. I don't think this is going to be the last vote...

Again, the student body is behind this one.. it appears that it took off when someone passed around a logo looking like this one..
http://newspaperrock.bluecorncomics.com/2010/06/alternative-logo-for-blackhawks.html

I think Riders is in trouble not enough support from the non-local population.

Nodaks was a late push by the hockey players and a couple of local sports writers. In addition, it is supported by the no nickname crowd because it is short for North Dakota. It will be interesting to see if it can cut into the fighting hawks lead with the general student population.

I see the Sundog group taking their ball and going home and they will not vote again. So, what does the North Star group do..

Well, it has changed again... if one of the names does not get a majority vote next week. They will have a runoff - top 2 again with a majority required. (what happens if 2 and 3 are separated by 100 votes or less - I have no idea - maybe the NDSU gets to decide!?!?!).

October 28th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Just remember that this vote they are bragging about had a less than 25% turn out of eligible voters. I would submit that there are more people who are so turned off by this corrupt process that did not vote because this election is fixed than voted for any one of the choices. I think they won with over 50% of eligible voters.

Bisonator
October 28th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Just remember that this vote they are bragging about had a less than 25% turn out of eligible voters. I would submit that there are more people who are so turned off by this corrupt process that did not vote because this election is fixed than voted for any one of the choices. I think they won with over 50% of eligible voters.
Really no different then any other vote. Apathy is alive and well. Maybe they were too busy protesting.....no wait never mind. xlolx

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_1000/public/field/image/102315.n.gfh_.undprotest.jpg?itok=MVOfK2a7

clenz
October 29th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Only have half of eligible voters vote for president and we brag about how great our system is, as a country.

Just last year a mere 45% of eligible voters voted in North Dakota's November general election

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Now maybe AGS'ers are starting to get a minute taste of this crap show that has been going on for far to long. Whether you agree to the premise or not of it being offensive the legal parties from UND agreed to the settlement with the NCAA but these moron's just can't stop from tripping over their own dicks on this issue. From the multitude of changes in the rules on the most recent "Vote" to choose a new nickname and now to this stupidity. Just let it go already you dumb #uckers.

From the Fargo forum.
New Sioux shirt designer refutes UND's cease and desist

http://www.inforum.com/news/3870872-new-sioux-shirt-designer-refutes-unds-cease-and-desist

http://www.inforum.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_1000/public/field/image/NewSioux_1.jpg?itok=2DZkg7c1

Jackal
October 29th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Really no different then any other vote. Apathy is alive and well. Maybe they were too busy protesting.....no wait never mind. xlolx

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_1000/public/field/image/102315.n.gfh_.undprotest.jpg?itok=MVOfK2a7
Lol at those "protesters".... or maybe that's a bus stop?

clenz
October 29th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Now maybe AGS'ers are starting to get a minute taste of this crap show that has been going on for far to long. Whether you agree to the premise or not of it being offensive the legal parties from UND agreed to the settlement with the NCAA but these moron's just can't stop from tripping over their own dicks on this issue. From the multitude of changes in the rules on the most recent "Vote" to choose a new nickname and now to this stupidity. Just let it go already you dumb #uckers.

From the Fargo forum.

http://www.inforum.com/news/3870872-new-sioux-shirt-designer-refutes-unds-cease-and-desist

http://www.inforum.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_1000/public/field/image/NewSioux_1.jpg?itok=2DZkg7c1
So...

Once again, you're blaming UND - who has issues a cease and desist - for what Joe ****bag is doing?

We already went over that in another thread.

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2015, 09:42 AM
So...

Once again, you're blaming UND - who has issues a cease and desist - for what Joe ****bag is doing?

We already went over that in another thread.

If you don't think these Joe ****bag alumni have any impact on this process and dragging it out you are fooling yourself. The taxpayers money spent on this debacle would have been better spent on anything else and I mean literally mean anything else. Hell spend it on studying the impact of worm **** on your garden tomatoes I don't care. You want to exonerate the school and it's backers for this when in fact if not for those backers continually pushing this crap show it would have been over a long time ago. This is like the freaking movie Groundhog day. xbangx

clenz
October 29th, 2015, 09:47 AM
If you don't think these Joe ****bag alumni have any impact on this process and dragging it out you are fooling yourself. The taxpayers money spent on this debacle would have been better spent on anything else and I mean literally mean anything else. Hell spend it on studying the impact of worm **** on your garden tomatoes I don't care. You want to exonerate the school and it's backers for this when in fact if not for those backers continually pushing this crap show it would have been over a long time ago. This is like the freaking movie Groundhog day. xbangx
In the last thread it was a company out of China selling fake Sioux gear that was blamed for being the issue - I think by you in that one as well. The CEO of that company is an Ivy leaguer who studied international law and is from out east.

Are you saying he is in bed with UND to drag this out, as well?

Yote 53
October 29th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Is that Sioux logo sticking his tongue out? I believe he is.

Thumper 76
October 29th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Is that Sioux logo sticking his tongue out? I believe he is.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx HE IS!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2015, 10:37 AM
In the last thread it was a company out of China selling fake Sioux gear that was blamed for being the issue - I think by you in that one as well. The CEO of that company is an Ivy leaguer who studied international law and is from out east.

Are you saying he is in bed with UND to drag this out, as well?

I think you are mistaken I never called out any chinese ceo or ivy leaguer. This guy in "this" thread is a und alum. You can debate and try to deflect blame all you want but the biggest reason this is still an issue is the folks who drive the bus up their (hockey crowd) with their hollow bickering about not being heard or the Sioux not being consulted/given a chance. It's all BS. This could have and should have been worked out decades ago but they were to high and mighty then to work with the Sioux tribes. Now that the chickens have come home to roost they are bitching the process was unfair. What a joke.

Yes the supporters for the nickname have driven this to this point and the limpwristed administrations up there going back more than 15 years have allowed it. All for a hockey arena and the hockey crowd. Don't believe me just look at how many times the rules have changed in the last few weeks on this voting debacle. All done by the current administration. It's both sad and sickening. Seeing it in my newspaper as "News" is getting beyond old.

F'N Hawks
October 29th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I think you are mistaken I never called out any chinese ceo or ivy leaguer. This guy in "this" thread is a und alum. You can debate and try to deflect blame all you want but the biggest reason this is still an issue is the folks who drive the bus up their (hockey crowd) with their hollow bickering about not being heard or the Sioux not being consulted/given a chance. It's all BS. This could have and should have been worked out decades ago but they were to high and mighty then to work with the Sioux tribes. Now that the chickens have come home to roost they are bitching the process was unfair. What a joke.

Yes the supporters for the nickname have driven this to this point and the limpwristed administrations up there going back more than 15 years have allowed it. All for a hockey arena and the hockey crowd. Don't believe me just look at how many times the rules have changed in the last few weeks on this voting debacle. All done by the current administration. It's both sad and sickening. Seeing it in my newspaper as "News" is getting beyond old.

Love the passion! xthumbsupx

Yote 53
October 29th, 2015, 10:48 AM
BisonBacker, now is the time I give you a "YaBut". Yeah, the rules have been changed in this election "process" recently but I don't think they have been changed to benefit the Hockey Only crowd. Appears to me the rules have been getting changed so the Administration & Consultants get their way so that UND adopts the most bland, PC, unoffensive nickname possible in the Fighting Hawks. I mean, look at their original standards they laid out, the nickname has to be unique and representative of North Dakota, etc. Where the heck does Fighting Hawks meet any of the criteria they listed other than it is freaking boring and lame and cannot possibly offend anyone because it evokes no emotion of any kind.

If I was a UND alumn I would be pissed if my school ended up with a nickname so lame. It's their own fault though, they could have taken control of the process years ago instead of being steered into this position by the PC crowd.

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2015, 11:18 AM
BisonBacker, now is the time I give you a "YaBut". Yeah, the rules have been changed in this election "process" recently but I don't think they have been changed to benefit the Hockey Only crowd. Appears to me the rules have been getting changed so the Administration & Consultants get their way so that UND adopts the most bland, PC, unoffensive nickname possible in the Fighting Hawks. I mean, look at their original standards they laid out, the nickname has to be unique and representative of North Dakota, etc. Where the heck does Fighting Hawks meet any of the criteria they listed other than it is freaking boring and lame and cannot possibly offend anyone because it evokes no emotion of any kind.

If I was a UND alumn I would be pissed if my school ended up with a nickname so lame. It's their own fault though, they could have taken control of the process years ago instead of being steered into this position by the PC crowd.

I have a friend who is a und alum and hockey nut. He's stated the hockey crowd has publicly pushed the Nodaks option with the idea that there is no way they'd be able to come up with a mascot for that name. In effect making the old nickname/logo the defacto mascot/name. You and I and any normal thinking person my not see it that way but they sure do. The fact that Kelly changed the rules that were in place for this voting process (originally only the top two vote getters were supposed to be forwarded on in the final vote) and included the nickname option that ended in 3rd place (Nodaks) to the final vote process tells me the Hockey crowd is still heard loud and clear at the Presidents office.

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Love the passion! xthumbsupx

You are funny. You must like to piss away taxpayer dollars too! xthumbsdownx

Bison56
October 29th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Cant wait for this to end.

Yote 53
October 29th, 2015, 11:25 AM
That's not the way I see it. I saw it that Kelly was going to throw that 3rd option in there knowing the Roughrider and Nodak vote would be split and the Fighting Hawks would end up winning with a plurality. He got called out on that rigging of the system this week and that is why there will be an extra round of voting added with the top two vote getters facing off.

Agree, would have been better to just stick with the original plan and have had a 1 vs 2 battle in this round of voting, which would have been Fighting Hawks vs. Roughriders, which is the way it will probably end up anyways.

Where the Committee should have done their job is they should have eliminated any stupid bird or color nicknames before it even got to the voting rounds. Tell me what is unique about Fighting Hawks to North Dakota? Heck, they not only let one Hawk name through to voting they let two!

Yote 53
October 29th, 2015, 11:28 AM
As for a logo of a Nodaker, how about a farmer digging up his potatoes? That was a joke, obviously. Actually Nodaks gives the school a blank slate to work with and they can come up with pretty much anything (with some obvious limitations) that is representative of North Dakota for a logo/mascot. That's a good thing.

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Cant wait for this to end.

Amen to that! But don't expect that anytime soon. Read soon as in years.

Bisonator
October 29th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Lol at those "protesters".... or maybe that's a bus stop?

Nope not a bus stop. Genuine UND protesters: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3866874-video-devoted-few-attend-und-nickname-protest

xlolx

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2015, 04:22 PM

From the Fargo forum.

That shirt is awesome.

SDFS
October 29th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Nope not a bus stop. Genuine UND protesters: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3866874-video-devoted-few-attend-und-nickname-protest

xlolx

about the same number as the supposed hundreds that would show up to protest the name.. The photos were much tighter in the 90's early 2000's..

November 1st, 2015, 07:11 AM
This was decided before the elections even started. When you keep changing the rules so you can get the results you want it is just a joke election. I think the new name should reflect what the university president has proven himself to be a FOOL. I suggest the UND Jesters.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 18th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Und to announce their new nickname at 10 am today

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 08:12 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/ci0uDcGQtBh0k/giphy.gif

deez_na
November 18th, 2015, 08:20 AM
I think we already know the answer

UNIFanSince1983
November 18th, 2015, 08:24 AM
The Fighting Hawks most likely.

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2015, 08:24 AM

Is it going to be the incredibly unique (to about 15 or so other colleges and universities around the country) Hawks?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_sports_team_nicknames#H

UNIFanSince1983
November 18th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Is it going to be the incredibly unique (to about 15 or so other colleges and universities around the country) Hawks?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_sports_team_nicknames#H

Notice though none of those are the Fighting Hawks so it would technically be very unique...

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 08:27 AM

We do? xlolx

Certain people won't be going down quietly....there is a logo debate yet and just because they "picked" a name...doesn't mean they are going to start using it tomorrow. (I don't think?)

deez_na
November 18th, 2015, 09:00 AM
We do? xlolx

Certain people won't be going down quietly....there is a logo debate yet and just because they "picked" a name...doesn't mean they are going to start using it tomorrow. (I don't think?)

I'm just assuming it will be Fighting Hawks since that was leading every time. I don't see that changing this time around.

Bisonator
November 18th, 2015, 09:46 AM

xhypedx I can't control my excitement! xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Please be the Nodoaks...

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 09:49 AM
http://www.inforum.com/news/3885370-live-stream-und-announce-new-nickname-10-am-press-conference

Live stream in 8 minutes.....so exciting! xlolx

mmiller_34
November 18th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Step 1: finish this logo/nickname crap
Step 2: acceptance into Summit/MVFC

xpopcornx

Hambone
November 18th, 2015, 09:57 AM
I'm preparing for disappointment.

Southern Bison
November 18th, 2015, 09:58 AM

xpopcornx
Step 3: Send Bo & YSU to the CAA.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 09:59 AM

Step 4: Profit

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I'm hoping for Roughriders, but I'm not holding my breath.

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 10:01 AM

xpopcornx

https://images.rapgenius.com/50aa871664634aae2a4da24f6db7e4ec.500x241x15.gif

mmiller_34
November 18th, 2015, 10:01 AM

Step 4: Rename conference NCC 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonator
November 18th, 2015, 10:03 AM

xpopcornx

That should be sometime in the next century.

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Fighting Hawks....bleh

mmiller_34
November 18th, 2015, 10:09 AM
North Dakota Fighting Hawks

Bisonator
November 18th, 2015, 10:09 AM
SHOCKER!!!xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2015, 10:10 AM
T-shirt ideas are already flowing to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmqXnRs78LA

Southern Bison
November 18th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Regardless...they still suck.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 10:12 AM
For my part I'm going to call them the Nodoaks until they have to change it.

Hambone
November 18th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Lame......

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Mountain Hawks > Fightin' Hawks

deez_na
November 18th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Just what I figured. Yay

clenz
November 18th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Step 4: Rename conference NCC 2.0

I'm good with that, honestly

veinup
November 18th, 2015, 10:16 AM
meh? better than roughriders i guess. glad you guys finally have a name. not that there was anything wrong with the old one.

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 10:17 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FWqO0gGrL._SY355_.jpg

IBleedYellow
November 18th, 2015, 10:17 AM
UND Swallows works even better now.

Hot damn!!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21811&stc=1

Sycamore62
November 18th, 2015, 10:19 AM
the NoDak Hawks? dont say it too fast

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Ha...over at the UND message board, one of their posters had a great line...

"UND just stood in front of the yogurt display for half an hour trying to pick a flavor, then walked away with plain."

veinup
November 18th, 2015, 10:20 AM
is that a mighty ducks reference i see? xlolx

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 10:21 AM
is that a mighty ducks reference i see? xlolx

I just picked their logo for them.....lets move on. xlolx

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Either way....this is pretty F'hawking awesome.

clenz
November 18th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Either way....this is pretty F'hawking awesome.

The F-ing Hawks

BisonBacker
November 18th, 2015, 10:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2P86C-1x3o

Hambone
November 18th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Welp - I'm ready to embrace the new name and move forward. I will be buying some Fighting Hawks gear when it comes out.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2015, 10:41 AM
This was the most drawn out crap to end up with a dumb name like that. Good lord.

REALBird
November 18th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Cut them some slack. When you consider these monumental name changes it's pretty much a given that under pressure school admins either revert to some animal and throw in a color for good measure as if, THAT makes it original. Although, if Wikipedia is correct......why the hell didn't they just go back to being the University of North Dakota "Flickertails" which was apparently used up to the 1930's?

Marquette Warriors = Golden Eagles
Miami (OH) Redskins = RedHawks
Arkansas State Indians = Red Wolves
Louisiana-Monroe Indians = WarHawks
St. John's Redmen = Red Storm
Southeast Missouri State Indians = Redhawks

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 10:48 AM
No nickname was better or more original than Nodoaks.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Although, if Wikipedia is correct......why the hell didn't they just go back to being the University of North Dakota "Flickertails" which was apparently used up to the 1930's?

I'm sure there's more informed posters who could confirm this but I'm pretty sure the hockey crowd, which is very powerful at UND, didn't like that because it's too similar to their hockey rivals the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

kingranch
November 18th, 2015, 10:53 AM
New logo

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 10:53 AM
I'm sure there's more informed posters who could confirm this but I'm pretty sure the hockey crowd, which is very powerful at UND, didn't like that because it's too similar to their hockey rivals the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The entire reason UND went to the Fighting Sioux in the first place was because NDAC (now NDSU) went from Farmers to Bison....Sioux hunt Bison. Someone can probably dig up the article from that time to show the reasoning. I've seen it recently.

AmsterBison
November 18th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Time it took for UND to pick a new nickname: 10 years
Time it took NDSU fans* to come up with "You suck, Hawks!" to replace the lamentable "Sioux suck" chant: 10 nanoseconds

* I believe it was the usual suspects: Haywood Jablome, Mike Hunt, and Phil McCrackin. And this is in no way an endorsement of said replacement.

Milkman
November 18th, 2015, 10:56 AM
This whole process was like some new age version of the Aristocrats joke. "So what do call the act...er um team?" "The Fighting Hawks!"

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 10:57 AM
http://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/in-und-changed-nicknames-quietly/article_8bc121f0-4e70-11e0-a2ff-001cc4c03286.html

Found it.....

Compared with the controversy surrounding the name in recent years and in this session, the 1930 transition away from the original Flickertail name caused little stir.
The name change was sparked by letters to the editor in the Dakota Student newspaper.
"Sioux are a good exterminating agent for the Bison; they are warlike, of fine physique and bearing; and the word Sioux is easily rhymed for yells and songs," wrote professor emeritus Alvin Austin in September of that year.
In competition with North Dakota State University, then the North Dakota Agricultural College, a Sioux Indian seemed a more likely conqueror of the bison than a cousin of the prairie dog.

2ram
November 18th, 2015, 10:59 AM
fighting hawks????

at least you can always say lehigh made an even worse decision in changing to mountain hawks.

UNDColorado
November 18th, 2015, 11:34 AM
I'm hoping for Roughriders, but I'm not holding my breath.

I voted for Roughriders but fighting hawks it is. The students overwhelmingly voted on this after they all say the Chicago Blackhawks. There is no way we will adopt a hawk head with Native American feathers on it. It will be some dumbed down PC friendly logo...I really hop I am wrong on this one

UNDColorado
November 18th, 2015, 11:35 AM
UND Swallows works even better now.

Hot damn!!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21811&stc=1

Haha now that's funny!

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I voted for Roughriders but fighting hawks it is. The students overwhelmingly voted on this after they all say the Chicago Blackhawks. There is no way we will adopt a hawk head with Native American feathers on it. It will be some dumbed down PC friendly logo...I really hop I am wrong on this one

http://thecommittedindian.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/foggysite2-642x512.jpg

MR. CHICKEN is gonna be all pissed.... xlolx

UNDColorado
November 18th, 2015, 11:38 AM
http://thecommittedindian.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/foggysite2-642x512.jpg

MR. CHICKEN is gonna be all pissed.... xlolx

Haha let's just hope our logo doesnt have a bean bag hanging off it's chin!

RootinFerDukes
November 18th, 2015, 11:44 AM
What an underwhelming name, but as another poster pointed out, most schools changing names after the Native American PC brigade gets ahold of it tend to be very conservative and dull with the new name.
I was hoping for nodaks personally.

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Yea, that Blackhawks logo variation with the feathers on the hawk head is pretty nice, but as you said, they likely won't go with anything that cool.

I really hope the Navy never forces us to change our nickname.

BisonBacker
November 18th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Yea, that Blackhawks logo variation with the feathers on the hawk head is pretty nice, but as you said, they likely won't go with anything that cool.

I don't think you have to worry about that. I like that nickname. Think it's one of the coolest. Then again I have great respect for all our military hence my feelings on it.

UNDColorado
November 18th, 2015, 12:08 PM
To ST_Lawson

It was definitely a cool logo but Chicago owns the rights and too edgy for the PC crowd.

In regard to your name I would hope and assume it's not in question, but these days you never know. xrotatehx

November 18th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Well Fighting Hawks was the choice of those 27,000 out of 82,000 eligible to vote. Not even 50% of those who could vote did..... not a rousing show of support for the name.

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Well Fighting Hawks was the choice of those 27,000 out of 82,000 eligible to vote. Not even 50% of those who could vote did..... not a rousing show of support for the name.

Yup....they better start over. Someone file a lawsuit real quick like. :D

Yote 53
November 18th, 2015, 12:36 PM

I'm sure there is a middle school or girl's soccer team somewhere that has their lawyer driving over to the courthouse right now to file a suit over copyright infringement.

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2015, 01:29 PM
To ST_Lawson

It was definitely a cool logo but Chicago owns the rights and too edgy for the PC crowd.

In regard to your name I would hope and assume it's not in question, but these days you never know. xrotatehx

I'm not sure Chicago actually owns the rights...it was put together by a designer, but not at the Blackhawks' request, and the designer just put it forth as an option that might be good. Still, you're probably right that some people might find it "too edgy".

Every now and then I'll see someone pipe up on facebook saying that we shouldn't be the Leathernecks...it should only be for the Marines to use...not some university full of kids who mostly didn't serve. But I think that's more just facebook being facebook. We haven't heard anything from the Navy about it, and it's ultimately their call whether we continue to use it or not.

Sycamore62
November 18th, 2015, 01:41 PM
This is what happens when you leave things to interested party's votes. I would note that in 94 or 95, they thought it would be good for the students at ISUb to have a contest to design and vote on a new mascot to replace the long defunct Indian and be able to go with our nickname "sycamores". There were a couple cool ideas, including a cannonball (they play the Wabash Cannonball at all our games but its not the school song). But just like every time you leave something to a bunch of college students, they went and **** all over it and voted for a f'n squirrel. Yes there are a lot of squirrels on campus, but I dont think they are exclusive to Terre Haute.

Moral of the story, dont leave important **** up to students or large groups of people that really dont know what the hell they are doing. maybe hire some people who do know what they are doing and then decide and then tell them what you decided.

or you will end up with Sycamore Sam, which is a hybrid squirrel fox woodland creature that looks WAY too much like Wyle E Coyote, which should be the message you are sending out about your athletic teams.

JayJ79
November 18th, 2015, 01:49 PM

are the womens teams still not allowed to use Leathernecks as a nickname?

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2015, 01:56 PM
are the womens teams still not allowed to use Leathernecks as a nickname?

As of Fall 2009, we retired the "Westerwinds" nickname for our women's teams and all athletics are now unified under the "Leathernecks" name.
Also, they're not "Lady Leathernecks" or "Leatherneckettes" or anything like that. All athletes, men and women, are "Leathernecks".

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2015, 02:41 PM

My wife, an alum of UND, voted North Stars the 1st round then NoDaks. She didn't vote the 3rd round.

Students on the UND campus made a huge push for Fighting Hawks and they got it. I have a couple of buddies that were athletes at UND and they wanted Nodaks.

Sycamore62
November 18th, 2015, 02:55 PM
they should have voted for Bison, only pronounce it correctly.

REALBird
November 18th, 2015, 02:59 PM
This whole process was like some new age version of the Aristocrats joke. "So what do call the act...er um team?" "The Fighting Hawks!"

Perfect example of bureaucracy at work. Spend a lot of time, lots of someone else's money to come to the what was already a forgone conclusion. What's the ROI on something like this? Fighting Hawk gear is probably sold out years in advance now that they've made THE decision of all decisions.

BisonBacker
November 18th, 2015, 03:23 PM

Contact your state reps and sue sue sue und for sioux sioux sioux xlolx

Bison56
November 18th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Im just glad its over and wont have to see it everyday.

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 03:40 PM

xlolx

Don't hold your breath....its logo/lawsuit time!

BisonBacker
November 18th, 2015, 03:49 PM

Oh come on now you don't think it's really over. The mascot design process will take years. They will have study groups to do more study's and then they will hire a research firm and a ad firm and then they will have a vote to have a vote on another vote..............well you get the picture. This is just the beginning.

BisonBacker
November 18th, 2015, 03:50 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21815&stc=1
xlolx

Don't hold your breath....its logo/lawsuit time!

UNDColorado
November 18th, 2015, 03:54 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21815&stc=1

That is awesome!

Kemo
November 18th, 2015, 04:16 PM
If UND's goal is to bore opponents with their lack of originality, they succeeded.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2015, 04:44 PM
They might as well have used the name generator from the old NCAA games that would have FCS Northwest ect.

UNDColorado
November 18th, 2015, 05:19 PM
The SDSU logo is a bunny. Do you really have room to criticize our logo?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 05:42 PM
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/jacks_alternate_old.gif

IBleedYellow
November 18th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Looks better than anything you currently have.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

UNDColorado
November 18th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Looks better than anything you currently have.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Adults are talking here.

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2015, 06:02 PM

To be fair...at least the Jackrabbit is unique...which is what you guys were supposedly going for in the first place. xlolx

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2015, 06:05 PM

Yeah, quite a bit actually. Apparently our mascot was good enough to make it into the Capital One mascot challenge. Good luck with the "Fighting Hawks". Also it's unique. Not a cut and paste cardboard cutout mascot name.

MTfan4life
November 18th, 2015, 06:26 PM
To be fair...at least the Jackrabbit is unique...which is what you guys were supposedly going for in the first place. xlolx

Unique usually sucks, though. I'm just glad this damn process is finally over. For the longest time it looked like they were either going to extend it, or just decide not to have a nickname, which would have been just moronic. Also, out of all the choices they had, I thought Hawks was the best option when they released about 67 options way back when, so I'm actually surprised my initial favorite ended up winning. Going unique you end up with Flickertails, Lambkins, Mosquitoes, Fighting Soybeans, or something else that is just a terrible joke. I know it's natural to just rag on UND, but this is kind of a pathetic argument going here. Anyone who is anyone has seen The Mighty Ducks and knows Hawks is a badass name for the 'evil' hockey team. Still there will be all sorts of 'butthurt' until they die Sioux or "North Dakota" proponents, but I think the process came out with at least a decent result. Better it's Hawks than some sunlight phenomenon, a cheap rendition of your own state's name, a name that was a past pro hockey team's name, or an overused term for Teddy Roosevelt's men who came from southwestern US states and had nothing to do with North Dakota aside from the fact Teddy lived in the opposite corner from where UND actually is. Long story short, I think they made a good choice, but most of all, it's about damn time.

clenz
November 18th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Yeah, quite a bit actually. Apparently our mascot was good enough to make it into the Capital One mascot challenge. Good luck with the "Fighting Hawks". Also it's unique. Not a cut and paste cardboard cutout mascot name.

UNIs Panther mascot has been in that a few times. Our mascot/nickname is shared by like a dozen d1 schools.

That's a ****ty metric to use

MTfan4life
November 18th, 2015, 06:37 PM
UNIs Panther mascot has been in that a few times. Our mascot/nickname is shared by like a dozen d1 schools.

Indeed, that contest is all about the mascot itself, anyways. Nothing to do with the nickname.

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2015, 06:38 PM

SDSU has awesome logos.

bjtheflamesfan
November 18th, 2015, 06:44 PM

If the US Navy ever gets so offended by an athletic team nickname that they try to force its change...we are doomed as a nation

Sycamore62
November 18th, 2015, 06:52 PM
A Sycamore is about to join this fight.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2015, 06:53 PM

Not if it takes as long as it took them to choose one, and they had somewhat unique options available.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 18th, 2015, 07:25 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21816&stc=1

This crap will never stop.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 18th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Just when you thought it was over...............http://www.howaboutwekeepsioux.com/

Bisonwinagn
November 18th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Just when you thought it was over...............http://www.howaboutwekeepsioux.com/

This is awesome. Even better if they actually planned it that way ahead of time.

taper
November 18th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Not if it takes as long as it took them to choose one, and they had somewhat unique options available.

Plus, picking a name that was unique was repeatedly stated as a priority early in the process. They really stressed that whatever name they picked would be unique. This quietly went away once the lists started narrowing down.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2015, 07:59 PM

Jackrabbits is very unique and original just like the Golden Gophers. People might think that is a wimpy nickname but when you say "Golden Gophers", people know it is Minnesota.

Fighting Hawks is pretty bland and unoriginal. I know many former athletes and alums that liked North Stars or NoDaks but the current student population had a big push for fighting hawks and that prevailed.

Heck, Dickinson State, ND is the Blue Hawks....

Bisonator
November 18th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I think they should have went back to Flickertails. Better then another frickin Hawk.