PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Carolina at Monmouth

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 12:45 PM
I'm currently watching NDSU at Indiana State, but I see Monmouth is up 7-3 at the end of the 1st quarter. What's going on?

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Chants starting slow, but Monmouth gave up a bad int and CCU marched down the field. 10-7 CCU. Hop Henderson gets the FCS record for consecutive games with a touchdown at 21.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Some shoddy officiating results in Monmouth losing a TD, make up calls give them the TD back. Missed PAT, 13-10 Monmouth.

- - - Updated - - -

CCU proving once again they cannot stop anyone's offense.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Defense optional toady. CCU marches down for the TD. 17-13 Coastal, 2:07 left in the first half.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Will be interesting to see how the 2nd half plays out. I may switch to this game in the 2nd half if the Bison extend their lead.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Monmouth marches down and misses a FG with 4.6 seconds remaining. Probably going to the half 17-13 CCU.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 02:26 PM
End of the 3rd, tied 20 all.

Monmouth has put up 371 yards so far to CCU's 288.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 02:28 PM
End of the 3rd, tied 20 all.

Monmouth has put up 371 yards so far to CCU's 288.

Wow. Hard to think CCU doesn't drop even if they squeak this one out. Especially after the Presbyterian game.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 02:42 PM
CCU punt downed at Monmouth's 2. Monmouth drives to CCU's 41 before turning it over on downs.

Monmouth has:
Missed a short FG.
Missed an extra point.
Turned the ball over on downs at the 2 rather than kicking a FG.
Now turned the ball over on downs at the CCU 41.

CCU looks bad, but may win due to Monmouth doing stupid things.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 02:44 PM
CCU punt downed at Monmouth's 2. Monmouth drives to CCU's 41 before turning it over on downs.

Monmouth has:
Missed a short FG.
Missed an extra point.

Sounds like they were going all out to get the win, but may lose as a result.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Long pass by CCU, fumble, Monmouth ball on their 9.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Short pass, missed tackle, 40 yard gain. Our defense blows.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Short pass, missed tackle, 40 yard gain. Our defense blows.

Sounds like it's going to be a good ending.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Monmouth on CCU's 43 on third down, going for it again... coverage and threw it away.

Monmouth 1 of 4 on 4th down.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 02:51 PM
3:02 left in the game, CCU ball at their own 43. First and 10.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Complete pass on first ending in a ref takedown, and the umpire is coming out. TO on the field. 2nd and 1. Ball on Monmouth 48.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Ump is back up and in the game. Henderson rushes for a 1st down.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Coastal to the 34, 2nd and 1. 2:00 and clock running.

Flag -- holding. Could have called it all day on both teams, but only called it twice on CCU.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Incomplete pass, 3rd and 11 coming up...

First down Alex Ross to John Israel to the 27. 1:19 to go.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Option for 1 yard, Monmouth calls TO. 2nd and 9 from the 26.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Pass to Tyrell Blanks, 1st and goal. TO Monmouth, out of TO now. 0:55 to go.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 03:04 PM
So CCU should win this one.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Henderson runs backwards, 2nd down from the 14.

Henderson rushes for no gain. TO CCU, 13.3 to go. Field goal team coming out?

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Henderson runs backwards, 2nd down from the 14.

Henderson rushes for no gain. TO CCU, 13.3 to go. Field goal team coming out?

Wow.

Bison56
October 24th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Score? Ok I got it also those unis that CCU has are hideous.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Nope, running one more play. Henderson rushes to middle of field. TO with 2.1 seconds to go.

Will be a 23 yard attempt.

- - - Updated - - -

20 all.

- - - Updated - - -

CCU makes the FG, wins 23-20.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Well, congrats on staying undefeated.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Some final stats:

CCU 22 first downs, 43% (6-14) 3rd down. 389 yards, 282 passing and 107 rushing.
Monmouth 23 first downs, 25% (3-12) 3rd down. 475 yards, 207 passing and 268 rushing.

Lavon? Chaney of Monmouth was the best player on the field. 24 carries for 196 yards and 2 TD, plus 3 catches for 32 yards and another TD.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Well, congrats on staying undefeated.
Yeah, well about that. Pick Charleston Southern to beat CCU next week.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Since Coastal won by 3, I'll put this here for some emphasis.

Monmouth has:
Missed a short FG.
Missed an extra point.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Yeah, well about that. Pick Charleston Southern to beat CCU next week.

At this point I'd agree.

Dave195
October 24th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Monmouth should've won this game. A few missed opportunities. CCU does NOT look like a #1 team at all to me. They were better than Liberty, but that's not saying too much

rokamortis
October 24th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Monmouth should've won this game. A few missed opportunities. CCU does NOT look like a #1 team at all to me. They were better than Liberty, but that's not saying too much

Coastal's MO for the season. Play just good enough to win. If Monmouth should have won, they would have won.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 04:36 PM

Playing down to competition does not sound like a #1 team, but winning is winning. If they keep winning the will continue having a shot at the title.

rokamortis
October 24th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Playing down to competition does not sound like a #1 team, but winning is winning. If they keep winning the will continue having a shot at the title.

I don't disagree with you. I wouldn't vote them #1 but nothing I can do about where they are ranked. Winning ugly sure beats losing pretty.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 04:46 PM
I don't disagree with you. I wouldn't vote them #1 but nothing I can do about where they are ranked. Winning ugly sure beats losing pretty.

For sure, polls are meaningless when it comes to who wins the championship.

wmmii
October 24th, 2015, 08:09 PM
not #1 in my poll anytime this year.........

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 08:48 PM
not #1 in my poll anytime this year.........

me neither.

That spot is for Harvard. xpeacex

dewey
October 24th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Ok CCU fans what gives with the Chanticleers having so many close games against marginal teams? Playing down to the competition? Everyone playing up to the "#1" team? Is the offense with Ross and Henderson struggling and if so why?

Dewey

jmrepak
October 24th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Ok CCU fans what gives with the Chanticleers having so many close games against marginal teams? Playing down to the competition? Everyone playing up to the "#1" team? Is the offense with Ross and Henderson struggling and if so why?

Dewey
D - all of the above. Our team is definitely playing down to the level of competition and it is pissing a lot of people off. The coastalfans boards are a s--- show right now because of it. I know our team has a shot at the title this year but that is more so because there isn't a dominate team this year so Coastal can hang with the level of competition that is out there. However, it would be really nice to not have heart palpitations at the end of every game. Also, for that Presby game I wouldn't read too much in to it. I've heard from a coach of one of the other sports that when the school was closed for 3 days due to flooding that they also weren't allowed to practice by the school. I don't know how true that is, but it would also make a lot of sense considering we had 20"+ of rain in 2 and a half days with no indoor practice facility. That was just rust from not being able to prepare. No excuses for today though. Today is the first time this year that I've actually said I was disappointed in our performance. Give Monmouth credit for being ready, but take it away from us for not and sleepwalking. I honestly don't know what to think about CSU yet, but there is no doubt they have us circled so we better get our stuff together.

rokamortis
October 24th, 2015, 09:30 PM

Dewey

I think there is a bit of everything.

First, I think injuries are part of it. Ross was coming off of shoulder surgery and then had a bum ankle but they kept playing him. We lost our starting TE in non-contact practice before we played a game. All of the starters on d-line were out at the same time at some point, one quit the team after the first game. ... stuff like that.

Second, I'd say it is because we have a high ranking and teams are playing up for us. I don't think we are playing with the same enthusiasm though. Teams are also pulling out the stops while I think we've been fairly vanilla. WIU debuted their big back Watson vs us - there was no film on him from this or last season. PC played a QB they hadn't played all year. MU tried to run 2 flea flickers.

Third, our defense is just ok after losing a number of guys from last year to graduation. Backus was huge for us the past few years, he was everywhere on the field, so I think his loss is showing the weaknesses. We've tried to replace some of the guys with transfers and have been decent at times but have given up big plays. We've also tried to instill a new defense but seems like they've had trouble.

I think our WIU win is looking good. But we should be better in most of these games. Like I said above, we are pretty much playing good enough to win. Similar to some games last year.

I'm worried about CSU next week.

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 09:36 PM

Dewey
My take:
- Ross has had a bum ankle since the WIU game. He isn't a huge threat to run, but they are still trying the read option. A long run for him now is 5 yards.
- The ankle has affected his throws too.
- Stupid penalties on both sides of the ball.
- The team began the season saying how good their defense is. Which it probably is in practice, because they don't tackle in practice. Or the game, for that matter.
- The secondary is atrocious. Pass defense apparently means tackling them after they catch the ball. They take terrible interference penalties game after game because they don't turn their heads.
- They have repeatedly dumbed down the defense because people are blowing assignments. You see them giving up a lot of big plays because of blown assignments.
- The only part of their game that is championship caliber is special teams. Those guys have been terrific.

coastalalum
October 24th, 2015, 09:39 PM

Dewey

I think it's a combination of a lot of the things that you mentioned. All except for Henderson struggling. He hasn't really. Injuries have hampered Ross tremendously to say the least. As Coastal has emerged on the national scene, it never was for their defensive prowess. This year, inexperience and more injuries have rendered our adequate, but not great defense to a below average defense.

dewey
October 24th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all of the replies guys!

Dewey