PDA

View Full Version : The State of Montana is crazy for the Griz

GtFllsGriz
December 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Just another indicator of what the Griz mean to the State of Montana. One of our radio station DJs called the station in Mass. that broadcasts their games and chatted with them this morning. Offices have closed down so that employees can travel to Missoula tomorrow. Judges are rescheduling hearings so that the lawyers and judges can get to the game on Friday.

And we are 180 miles away over a Rocky Mountain pass. The Griz truly represent the State of Montana for this game. It is nuts here in Great Falls.

appfan2008
December 7th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I wish we had that kind of following here in North Carolina. Too many other big schools I guess.
I am glad for you guys way to go. I hope we meet the Griz in Chatty.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2006, 12:16 PM
There's never really an argument over the best fan support of FCS schools (well, outside of the SWAC) - Montana is the standard bearer.

SpreadtheRed
December 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I wish Illinois was like that as well, but there are WAY too many schools with different fan bases, not to mention a whole bunchload of pro teams that have insane, fanatical following (see Whitesox/Cubs division of Chicago).

jstate83
December 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Looks like a packed house for them Grizzlies.
Will be watching both games plus the Delta State game Saturday. :thumbsup:

Good luck everybody.

elkmcc
December 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM
There's never really an argument over the best fan support of FCS schools (well, outside of the SWAC) - Montana is the standard bearer.

Thanks GannonFan. Us Monto's feel pretty lucky to have the Griz too.:nod:

Ronbo
December 7th, 2006, 12:33 PM
The Montana Governor is leaving a Conference in Nevada early to catch a flight that will arrive in Missoula about an hour before gametime. It was pretty funny last game Monte tackled the Governor and took him down pretty hard.xlolx

slycat
December 7th, 2006, 12:36 PM
i saw a girl with a griz sweatshirt on the texas st campus today. i also saw a griz tshirt in san marcos a few days ago. the fans down here in texas are coming out of the woodwork.

Pards Rule
December 7th, 2006, 12:38 PM
The Montana Governor is leaving a Conference in Nevada early to catch a flight that will arrive in Missoula about an hour before gametime. It was pretty funny last game Monte tackled the Governor and took him down pretty hard.xlolx

GO GOV. BRIAN SCHWEITZER!! INSTRUMENTAL IN ASSISTING JON TESTER WINNING US SENATE SEAT IN MONTANA

Peems
December 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
actually once i was in the asheville, NC airport and sure enough there was a guy wearing his griz gear, i gave a loud yell GO GRIZ and we had a moment.

GRZZ
December 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM

And then Monte felt bad and let the governor lift him up and carry him off the field.:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

DuckDuckGriz
December 7th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Believe it or not -- there are Griz fans everywhere coming out of the woodwork down here. Driving yesterday on Highway 99 I saw a car with Griz flags and California plates (maybe headed to Missoula), and I've been seeing more and more Griz hats and sweatshirts around Eugene. Also alot of the people I know from Montana that go to UO like me are kind of bonding over this whole thing

Tod
December 7th, 2006, 01:23 PM
A young lady I work with went to class this week and a student at UNM had a Griz sweatshirt on. Said she thought of me immediately. :) :)

AppGuy04
December 7th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I have seen alot of App gear here in Raleigh lately. Went to the mall last night with my girl and we saw like 5 or 6 folks wearing ASU stuff, which is something you rarely see outside of the high country

james_lawfirm
December 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Just another indicator of what the Griz mean to the State of Montana. One of our radio station DJs called the station in Mass. that broadcasts their games and chatted with them this morning. Offices have closed down so that employees can travel to Missoula tomorrow. Judges are rescheduling hearings so that the lawyers and judges can get to the game on Friday.

And we are 180 miles away over a Rocky Mountain pass. The Griz truly represent the State of Montana for this game. It is nuts here in Great Falls.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: WOW!! GREAT JOB!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM
http://www.clc.com/clcweb/publishing.nsf/Content/Rankings+Archive%3A+2000-2006

I think 46th is a pretty good showing on the list, several big schools below US on the list :)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 7th, 2006, 01:51 PM

I think 46th is a pretty good showing on the list, several big schools below US on the list :)

Here is the text, should have done this in the orignal post :D

The Collegiate Licensing Company Names Top Selling Universities and Manufacturers
The University of Texas at Austin, Nike USA Inc., EA Sports and J & W Interests Lead Year-End Rankings
ATLANTA, Ga., (August 24, 2006) - The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) is pleased to announce its top-selling institutions and manufacturers for fiscal year-end 2005-2006. These rankings represent royalties reported July 1, 2005, through June 30, 2006 on all collegiate merchandise sold.
Notes of interest:
• The University of Texas at Austin made collegiate licensing history in 2006 by generating the most royalties ever by a college or university. Last year, UT was ranked third in the final year-end tally.
• This marks the first year the University of Texas at Austin has been ranked #1 in the colleges and universities category – a spot previously held by the University of North Carolina. UNC held the #1 ranking for five consecutive years, prior to UT notching its place as the top selling Consortium institution.
• New Consortium member, Oregon State University, debuted in the top-75 ranked 44th. While Consortium veteran, Boise State University cracked the top-50 for the first time at 49th.
• Nike USA Inc. has occupied the top spot amongst collegiate apparel licensees since 1999.
• EA Sports has maintained its #1 status in non-apparel products since 2003.
Top-75 Universities
(1.) The University of Texas at Austin (2.) The University of Michigan (3.) University of Notre Dame (4.) University of Georgia (5.) University of North Carolina (6.) The University of Florida (7.) University of Oklahoma (8.) University of Tennessee at Knoxville (9.) The University of Alabama (10.) The Pennsylvania State University (11.) Florida State University (12.) Louisiana State University (13.) Auburn University (14.) University of Kentucky (15.) University of Wisconsin (16.) University of Miami (17.) University of Illinois (18.) University of Nebraska (19.) University of Arkansas Fayetteville (20.) University of South Carolina (21.) Oklahoma State University (22.) University of Kansas (23.) Duke University (24.) Clemson University (25.) University of Maryland (26.) The University of Arizona (27.) Purdue University (28.) Texas Tech University (29.) The University of Virginia (30.) Kansas State University (31.) University of Missouri (32.) University of Louisville (33.) Syracuse University (34.) University of Washington (35.) Georgia Institute of Technology (36.) University of Connecticut (37.) University of Pittsburgh (38.) Washington State University (39.) University of Mississippi (40.) University of Colorado (41.) Stanford University (42.) University of Cincinnati (43.) U.S. Military Academy (44.) Oregon State University (45.) University of Utah (46.) The University of Montana (47.) Brigham Young University (48.) Marshall University (49.) Boise State University (50.) Gonzaga University (51.) United States Air Force Academy (52.) Colorado State University (53.) Northwestern University (54.) Georgetown University (55.) Fresno State University (56.) Boston College (57.) University of New Mexico (58.) Villanova University (59.) Baylor University (60.) The University of Wyoming (61.) University of Texas El Paso (62.) East Carolina University (63.) University of Houston (64.) University of Memphis (65.) University of South Florida (66.) University of Delaware (67.) Texas State University - San Marcos (68.) University of Central Florida (69.) Marquette University (70.) Texas Christian University (71.) Southern Illinois University (72.) Tulane University (73.) George Mason University (74.) James Madison University (75.) University of Nevada

CrunchGriz
December 7th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Every game I go to I am amazed by the multitude of Griz items that people are wearing/using. You can walk through a whole sea of Griz fans at the tailgate before any Griz home game, and rarely see the same item of apparel, yet all are wearing Griz gear, a lot of them head to toe.

VictorG
December 7th, 2006, 02:48 PM
yet all are wearing Griz gear, a lot of them head to toe.

And "underneath" too!:nod: :nod: :nod:

GaSouthern
December 7th, 2006, 03:09 PM
next best CS school I saw..
(66.) University of Delaware

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2006, 03:28 PM
One reason I envy the Griz - you have a lot of people who have probably never even been to college who live in the state of Montana that come to the games and adopt Montana or Montana State (maybe both) as their teams. Here, all the rural sports fans that route for their state's teams route for UGA.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 7th, 2006, 04:01 PM
51/91(56%) of the players on the roster for UMT are from Montana.

17/71(24%) of the players on the Roster for UMass are from Mass.

There is certainly some room for error on those counts, but Montana fans are rooting for their own :)

ncbears
December 7th, 2006, 04:07 PM
A lot like other FC schools, Northern Colorado is too close to other bigger schools. One of which is not even a half hour away (Colorado State). Oh well...what can you do?

penguin8797
December 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Other schools do affect attendance. We are not close to a major colllege but even TV plays a role. YSU games seem to be less attended when they conflict with Ohio State. I remember a YSU game in 2002 played during the Ohio State-Michgan game. So many people at the YSU game were listening to OSU on their portable radios that when Ohio State clinched the victory with an interception a cheer erupted from the crowd. Although the crowd was pretty sparse, players on both teams were looking into the stands wondering what the **** was going on.

PDXCat
December 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM
A young lady I work with went to class this week and a student at UNM had a Griz sweatshirt on. Said she thought of me immediately. :) :)
So Tod, were you most excited that she "saw someone wearing a griz sweatsirt" or that she thought of you?:eyebrow:

griz8791
December 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
One reason I envy the Griz - you have a lot of people who have probably never even been to college who live in the state of Montana that come to the games and adopt Montana or Montana State (maybe both) as their teams. Here, all the rural sports fans that route for their state's teams route for UGA.

If you ask the Bobcat fans, they will assure you that the sort of people you describe make up about 95% of the Grizzly fan base. That discussion will also include multiple instances of the word "bandwagon." :smiley_wi

VictorG
December 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM
I took Friday off of work so I could get the family to the tailgate and game early!

Anyone else????

MrTitleist
December 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Half a day for me!

putter
December 7th, 2006, 05:29 PM
1/2 day for me also. FYI I have to travel 210 miles one way to get to Missoula for the game!

putter
December 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Other schools do affect attendance. We are not close to a major colllege but even TV plays a role. YSU games seem to be less attended when they conflict with Ohio State. I remember a YSU game in 2002 played during the Ohio State-Michgan game. So many people at the YSU game were listening to OSU on their portable radios that when Ohio State clinched the victory with an interception a cheer erupted from the crowd. Although the crowd was pretty sparse, players on both teams were looking into the stands wondering what the **** was going on.

Great point. However, you have to remember that in our whole state there are only 900,000 total. Two weeks ago we had the Griz at home (20,000 fans), MSU at home (14,000 fans) and an two Montana NAIA teams playing each other (7,000 fans) so I would say we love football too! That is 41,000 people watching playoff football in one day 5% of the population @:hurray:

Tailbone
December 7th, 2006, 05:40 PM
1/2 day for me also. FYI I have to travel 210 miles one way to get to Missoula for the game!

I took the whole week.

........and live 1 mile from the stadium. :D

putter
December 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I took the whole week.

........and live 1 mile from the stadium. :D

xlolx xlolx
I guess I have better get my priorities in order...

elkmcc
December 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Every game I go to I am amazed by the multitude of Griz items that people are wearing/using. You can walk through a whole sea of Griz fans at the tailgate before any Griz home game, and rarely see the same item of apparel, yet all are wearing Griz gear, a lot of them head to toe.

You mean there is other kinds of clothing out there? I thought all clothing had to be maroon and silver and say "Griz". Well shucks. Ya learn something every day I guess.

elkmcc
December 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I took Friday off of work so I could get the family to the tailgate and game early!

Anyone else????

Work? You mean people work during football season? Wow. Poor souls.:D

elkmcc
December 7th, 2006, 06:17 PM
S'pose the next thing you're going to tell me is that the Griz aren't the only football team in America.

CrunchGriz
December 7th, 2006, 06:31 PM
You mean there is other kinds of clothing out there? I thought all clothing had to be maroon and silver and say "Griz". Well shucks. Ya learn something every day I guess.

No, some clothes actually don't say "Griz" on them...but those few that don't, say "Montana".

But come to think of it, you're right on the other point--they're all maroon and/or silver (grey?)--or should be, anyway.

grizzfan
December 7th, 2006, 06:34 PM
GO GOV. BRIAN SCHWEITZER!! INSTRUMENTAL IN ASSISTING JON TESTER WINNING US SENATE SEAT IN MONTANA

Woo-Woo-Woo! I cannot decide which man is more the empty suit. It can't be Mr. Tester as he probably weighs in at 350+ pounds. Governor Schweitzer, on the other hand will pick up any theme that will self-promote his empty self. A master at it. As a life long Montanan, (and a Republican), I am embarassed for their presence. Hope they watch on TV tomorrow night. Besides Schweitzer is a freekin Bobcat.

GO GRIZ

elkmcc
December 7th, 2006, 08:13 PM

Woo-Woo-Woo! I cannot decide which man is more the empty suit. It can't be Mr. Tester as he probably weighs in at 350+ pounds. Governor Schweitzer, on the other hand will pick up any theme that will self-promote his empty self. A master at it. As a life long Montanan, (and a Republican), I am embarassed for their presence. Hope they watch on TV tomorrow night. Besides Schweitzer is a freekin Bobcat.

GO GRIZ

Now if the state of Montana would just passs a law prohibiting politicing during football season.:hurray:

Peems
December 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I officially quit my job so i could make the game...but they hired me back after they realized they had no one else

griz37
December 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM

GO GRIZ

I almost puked seeing Schweitzer in that Griz jacket last weekend. Stick to the Cat games Brian.

Cleets
December 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
If you ask the Bobcat fans, they will assure you that the sort of people you describe make up about 95% of the Grizzly fan base. That discussion will also include multiple instances of the word "bandwagon." :smiley_wi

Bandwagon!

The griz fan base is the way it is becaus if 15 years of putting a great product on the field and on display in a fantastic venue...

That accomplishment is astounding... I'm forty two and I can't remember a 1-AA season without Montana being in the play-offs...

amazing... I'd call that bandwagon a freight train...

nevadagriz
December 7th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I'm taking half of day tommorow too. I invited the boss to come watch the game and then the NFR. Soooo I have to leave early to chill the beer and make the chili for him. I think he wants the griz to lose so i will get something done unlike the last 13 weeks:thumbsup: xlolx Actually I converted the Boise St grad into a griz fan.

SeattleGriz
December 7th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Yeah Baby! Drove the 500 mile trip from Seattle in 7 hours. Great roads.

Gettin my swerve on as we speak.

The lights were on for a little while tonight - Holee crap I am JACKED for this game.

Go Griz:hurray:

Proud Griz Man
December 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Bandwagon!

The griz fan base is the way it is becaus if 15 years of putting a great product on the field and on display in a fantastic venue...

That accomplishment is astounding... I'm forty two and I can't remember a 1-AA season without Montana being in the play-offs...

Great Post. I'll need to borrow your line = that's an unstoppable Freight Train

Makes me want to put on Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath, and scream.

In the shuffling madess
Of the locomotive breath,
Runs the all-time loser,
Headlong to his death.
He feels the piston scraping --
Steam breaking on his brow --
Old charlie stole the handle and
The train wont stop going --
No way to slow down.
He sees his children jumping off
At the stations -- one by one.
His woman and his best friend --
In bed and having fun.
He's crawling down the corridor
On his hands and knees --
No way to slow down.
He hears the silence howling --
Catches angels as they fall.
And the all-time winner
Has got him by the balls.
He picks up gideons Bible --
Open at page one --
No way to slow down

Walkon79
December 8th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Funny thing about that though. He's the biggest Griz Bandwagon fan of them all!! MSU alum and booster that he is.

GrizFoo
December 8th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Bandwagon!

Well put. I think I'll copy your "Harvard" level definition to use next year when cat fans, yet again, accuse Griz Nation of being a bunch of Bandwagon jumpers...As if they have none. LOL.

Cat fans turn a blind eye to the fact that their attendance has dramatically increased in the past 5 years or so. :bang: xidiotx

Walkon79
December 8th, 2006, 10:20 AM
This Cat fan is bummed he won't be able to see the game tonight. Got to go ref a highschool basketball tourney in Scobey.

In my home town, (Most) of the Cat and Griz fans cheer for both unless they play each other, and are now solidly behind the Griz since we couldn't quite "get er done" last Saturday.

Go GRIZ!! Make all of Montana proud!!

GrizFoo
December 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I know of some cat fans making the trip. And there has been some who I've gotten tickets for to regular season games the last few years. They just like the experience. They view it as taking in an event...an event that beats the hell out of going to a movie, opera, or whatever.

My favorite cat who I've talked to a few times the last couple of years is Cliff Heisel . Great personality, very very knowledgeable about football, the Xs and Os, the politics, policies, fans, etc. And it is great seeing him, the FOOTBALL FAN/ex-Cat coach (amongst other teams), at Griz games. He really provides a lot of insight.... unique insight, other H.S./college coaches I've been around haven't given up. And proof that being a cat for a doesn't ruin you. :D

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Funny thing about that though. He's the biggest Griz Bandwagon fan of them all!! MSU alum and booster that he is.

I'm thinking if both the cats and griz had had home games last weekend, he would have been in bozeman. He's just trying to support the state of Montana. Stop being so paranoid xidiotx

mschn99
December 8th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Believe it or not -- there are Griz fans everywhere coming out of the woodwork down here. Driving yesterday on Highway 99 I saw a car with Griz flags and California plates (maybe headed to Missoula), and I've been seeing more and more Griz hats and sweatshirts around Eugene. Also alot of the people I know from Montana that go to UO like me are kind of bonding over this whole thing
I was born and raised in montana but now live in california....and im sporting griz bumper stickers and i have been wearing all my griz gear all season!!! Ive even meet a few other people from montana down here just from wearing my griz gear! There are griz fans all over the country...thats for sure!!

Walkon79
December 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking if both the cats and griz had had home games last weekend, he would have been in bozeman. He's just trying to support the state of Montana. Stop being so paranoid xidiotx

Not being paranoid. I'm just not a fan of the Gov. I've known him since I was very young, and he has always come across as too slick. I'm not critical of him being in Missoula this weekend, but I get tired of the constant craving of media attention.

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I was born and raised in montana but now live in california....and im sporting griz bumper stickers and i have been wearing all my griz gear all season!!! Ive even meet a few other people from montana down here just from wearing my griz gear! There are griz fans all over the country...thats for sure!!

No matter WHAT time of year, if I'm wearing Griz Gear or a Mo' Club t-shirt, guaranteed I'll get at LEAST one comment on it that day. And right now, I'm at work all decked out in full Griz gear, and get LOTS of comments! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Walkon79
December 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I know of some cat fans making the trip. And there has been some who I've gotten tickets for to regular season games the last few years. They just like the experience. They view it as taking in an event...an event that beats the hell out of going to a movie, opera, or whatever.

My favorite cat who I've talked to a few times the last couple of years is Cliff Heisel . Great personality, very very knowledgeable about football, the Xs and Os, the politics, policies, fans, etc. And it is great seeing him, the FOOTBALL FAN/ex-Cat coach (amongst other teams), at Griz games. He really provides a lot of insight.... unique insight, other H.S./college coaches I've been around haven't given up. And proof that being a cat for a doesn't ruin you. :D

Cliff's my old ball coach, going back to the Lubick days. I saw him several times in Bozeman this fall, and he was always surrounded by ex-players. I agree with the favorite Cat sentiment.

Go Griz

Sundown
December 8th, 2006, 01:06 PM
GRIZ!

That is all.

elkmcc
December 8th, 2006, 01:13 PM
No matter WHAT time of year, if I'm wearing Griz Gear or a Mo' Club t-shirt, guaranteed I'll get at LEAST one comment on it that day. And right now, I'm at work all decked out in full Griz gear, and get LOTS of comments! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What do you mean, "if you've wearing Griz gear "? I rarely if ever don't have something Griz on. In Missoula a person stands out in the crowd if he/she isn't in something Griz. :hurray:

appfan2008
December 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Can you all not speel Grizzly?
It seems all you ever say is GRIZ?!?!

Now that I think about it though does anyone here in Boone ever spell Appalachian?
Its always APPS or ASU!

GrizRick
December 8th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Now that I think about it though does anyone here in Boone ever spell Appalachian?
Its always APPS or ASU!

Nope, we Montana fans can't speel.

elkmcc
December 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Its always APPS or ASU!

Can the Happy Apples speel Hot hot hot?:eek:

Grlz
December 8th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Go Griz! Give them hell tonight!