PDA

View Full Version : Harvard fans: Are you worried?

Marcus Garvey
December 7th, 2006, 11:34 AM
With Tom O'Brien leaving (allegedly) Boston College for NC State, BC is in need of a new head coach. If I were Gene DeFillipo (BC's A.D.), the first guy I'd call is Harvard's head coach, Tim Murphy.

How happy is Murphy at Harvard? I know he's been there over 12 years. Would he seriously consider a I-A job? Several years ago, rummor was that he was going to accept the Delaware job.

Ivytalk
December 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM
With Tom O'Brien leaving (allegedly) Boston College for NC State, BC is in need of a new head coach. If I were Gene DeFillipo (BC's A.D.), the first guy I'd call is Harvard's head coach, Tim Murphy.

How happy is Murphy at Harvard? I know he's been there over 12 years. Would he seriously consider a I-A job? Several years ago, rummor was that he was going to accept the Delaware job.

He just re-upped with Harvard for 5 more years.

Pard4Life
December 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Who would want to leave Harvard anyway?

LBPop
December 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
He just re-upped with Harvard for 5 more years.
While I obviously know nothing about the details of his contract, I would assume that it has an "out" if he is offered a I-A job.

Who would want to leave Harvard anyway?

I could think of a million or so reasons to do that...:rolleyes:

bluehenbillk
December 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Regarding the UD job, Murphy was offered the job by now-lame duck president David Roselle, it's unclear if he accepted it or not by my recollection, but the offer was pulled by UD's Board of Trustees. KC Keeler was basically hand-picked by Ruly Carpenter on UD's board. Lehigh & Lafayette fans will remember that name, he sold the Phillies to Bill Giles & his cronies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph
Neither is the BCS, an abomination of college football!

I couldn't agree more, if the BCS is so bad why re-create it with something as stupid as the GPI! xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Husky Alum
December 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM
He'd be crazy to leave Harvard for UCH.

UCH is getting the shaft left and right (or so their alumni think) from the ACC with bowl selections and the like.

Anyone find it odd that the ACC allowed one member school to poach another member school's head coach?

Ivytalk
December 7th, 2006, 03:16 PM
While I obviously know nothing about the details of his contract, I would assume that it has an "out" if he is offered a I-A job.

I could think of a million or so reasons to do that...:rolleyes:

Pop, for whatever reason, Harvard (and Yale) coaches have been unflinchingly loyal to their schools, and the feeling has been reciprocated. Since 1957, Harvard has had 3 head coaches: John Yovicsin (14 seasons), Joe Restic (23) and Tim Murphy (13). That's flat-out amazing. I'll leave it to bulldog10jw to detail the longevity of Cozza et al.

And why leave Harvard to coach a bunch of Notre Dame rejects?:p

carney2
December 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM

UCH is getting the shaft left and right (or so their alumni think) from the ACC with bowl selections and the like.

Anyone find it odd that the ACC allowed one member school to poach another member school's head coach?

U C H ?

DFW HOYA
December 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM
U C H ?
University of Chestnut Hill.

Big East teams simply call them "Fredo".

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 7th, 2006, 03:46 PM
U C H ?

Boston College AKA The University of Chesnut Hill. It refers to the village within the town of Newton, Massachusetts where the campus is located.

Northeastern, Maine and UNH are all ice hockey rivals with BC and let's just say that you won't find too many of us rooting for UCH in any sport at any time. Husky Alum just has little stronger feelings than the average fan. :p

ucdtim17
December 7th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Maybe they should buy more tickets then

BlueHen86
December 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM

No, not after the way the ACC raided the Big East for teams. It's about the benjamins.

Serves UCH right IMO.

CollegeSportsInfo
December 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM

If BC were a MAC level school, then maybe. But with BC now in the ACC, it's just a tough position for the school now to seriously consider a coach from a non Football Bowl Subdivision school when they have choices that are in the NFL, other BCS level schools, and non-BCS schools.

I would put a few names higher than Murphy, Brown or any other CS level coaches:

Former UMass coach/Current Steelers QB coach Mark Whipple
BC Ass. HC Jerry Petercuskie
Former NYG HC Jim Fassell
BC Defensive coordinator Frank Spaziani
BC Offensive coordinator Dana Bible

Others from NFL:
Mike Mularkey
Steve Mariucci
Maurice Carthon
Ken Whisenhunt

A Few Others From College Football:
Jim Leavitt - a good choice after years at USF and recruiting Florida.
Pat Hill
Steve Kragthorpe

And the fans choice: Doug Flutie

FightMass
December 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Northeastern, Maine and UNH are all ice hockey rivals with BC and let's just say that you won't find too many of us rooting for UCH in any sport at any time. Husky Alum just has little stronger feelings than the average fan. :p
Gee thanks ;)

bulldog10jw
December 7th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I'll leave it to bulldog10jw to detail the longevity of Cozza et al.

Yale has had 4 Head Coaches since 1952. The only short timer was John Pont who coached Yale in '63 and '64 and left to take Indiana to, I believe, their only Rose Bowl in 1967(or '68). But he had brought along Cozza as an assistant when he came to Yale from Miami of Ohio. Other than Pont, the coaches were:

Jordon Olivar for 11 years
Cozza for 32
and Jack for the last 10

Marcus Garvey
December 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM

I doubt the ACC "allowed" anything. Rather, there are probably no provisions against it. It's not unheard of anyway. I can think of a couple of examples in other conferences.
Bruce Snyder left Cal around '91 or so for Arizona St.
Larry Smith left Arizona around '86 for USC.
Bobby Ross left Maryland for Georgia Tech in the late 80's
etc...

The Historian
December 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Boston College AKA The University of Chesnut Hill. It refers to the village within the town of Newton, Massachusetts where the campus is located.

I have heard Harvard referred to as CCC, or Cambridge Community College.

Harvard Worship
December 7th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I have heard Harvard referred to as CCC, or Cambridge Community College.

For serious?

As far as the BC vacancy goes, I've heard the same thing as the rest of you about BC getting shafted by the ACC for not having enough fans. I've also heard the same excuse about having to compete for fans with beloved pro-sports juggernauts. I'm not sure I buy it. Who in their right mind skips Saturday to watch on Sunday?

Marcus Garvey
December 7th, 2006, 06:44 PM
For serious?

As far as the BC vacancy goes, I've heard the same thing as the rest of you about BC getting shafted by the ACC for not having enough fans. I've also heard the same excuse about having to compete for fans with beloved pro-sports juggernauts. I'm not sure I buy it. Who in their right mind skips Saturday to watch on Sunday?

I lived up there for 3 football seasons, '97-'99. It's 100% accurate that Boston fans don't care all that much about BC. In fact, I thought the ACC's interest in Boston College was dumb, especially when it was explained that they wanted the "Boston TV Market." You typically had to turn at least 3 pages into the sports section to find the BC write-ups. If they were to go 12-0, interest would increase, but quickly die down again. That's what happened during and after the Doug Flutie era.

To some extent, there are Boston sports fans who just plain dislike the school and those associated with it. That doesn't help.

BC draws well at home, but it's only a 42,000 seat stadium. That's not too hard. Also, they only have 9,000 full-time undergrads. That means they don't have a large alumni base to travel with the team when compared to Rutgers, WVU or Penn St.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 8th, 2006, 12:19 AM

My guess he is staying at Harvard. He can retire there in all likelihood and have a great late stage career. If you remember, he was successful at Cincinnati in the mid-1990's and turned down a big contract with the Bearcats to come back home to New England and Harvard.

He did just sign a 5 year contract with Harvard. Also, I do not think a committed person like Murph wants to leave Harvard on the heels of the difficult off-field situations with which he had to deal this season. His ethical side is going to want to get the Harvard house back in complete order off and on the field so it will reflect his quality as a person, not just as a coach.

henfan
December 8th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Regarding the UD job, Murphy was offered the job by now-lame duck president David Roselle, it's unclear if he accepted it or not by my recollection, but the offer was pulled by UD's Board of Trustees.

Murphy was indeed offered and accepted the UD job, as was reported by the News Journal at the time. One of Murph's assistant coaches placed a premature phone call to the UD AD staff to see when UD football offices would be ready to occupy. The BOT did indeed tell Roselle to unhire Murphy, which he summarily did.

Those who follow college sports closely might recall a similar situation happening earlier this year at UD with would-be basketball coach Kevin Willard. Another Roselle hiring undone by the UD BOT.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I lived up there for 3 football seasons, '97-'99. It's 100% accurate that Boston fans don't care all that much about BC. In fact, I thought the ACC's interest in Boston College was dumb, especially when it was explained that they wanted the "Boston TV Market." You typically had to turn at least 3 pages into the sports section to find the BC write-ups. If they were to go 12-0, interest would increase, but quickly die down again. That's what happened during and after the Doug Flutie era.

To some extent, there are Boston sports fans who just plain dislike the school and those associated with it. That doesn't help.

BC draws well at home, but it's only a 42,000 seat stadium. That's not too hard. Also, they only have 9,000 full-time undergrads. That means they don't have a large alumni base to travel with the team when compared to Rutgers, WVU or Penn St.

It doesn't help that their only "regional rival" is now Virginia Tech now that they've chased the ACC money and given up all the local rivalries that most people might care about in all other sports.

Husky Alum
December 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Marcus -

I've lived in Boston since the late 1980s, I don't know what you were reading, but the Boston media is VERY pro UCH, and the rank and file fans up here DO care about the Beagles. It's the "region's team" per se - and it drives me nuts.

Most people here root for UCH "because they're UCH and we live in greater Boston." If one more NU, UMass or boston u alumni says that to me, I'd like to invoke the right to rescind their diploma and beat them over the head with a SuperFan t-shirt.

UCH has a very loyal media following, and more often than not their football game stories are on the front page of the sports section, above the fold, and get the lead on the news.

That being said, they also (and this may support your theory to some degree) have the biggest bunch of bandwagon fans I've seen. When UCH was a mediocre team in the Big East, they couldn't give tickets away. Now they've leveraged their ACC ties to get sellouts in almost every sport that people care about up here.

You want to see Duke-UCH in basketball, fine - you've got to buy tickets to the Merrimack hockey game.

Florida State football? Welcome to the UCH-Fairfield basketball game.

They market their product very well up here and now are in joint marketing agreements with the Boston Red Sox - more reasons to make me vomit.

And yes, I probably hate UCH more than the rank and file person up here, but it's well deserved.

Marcus Garvey
December 8th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Husky Alum:

The Boston Media is "pro-BC" in as much as there are no other I-A schools to cover. But don't kid yourself. Boston College athletics are a minor past-time on the radar of most New England sports fan.

ngineer
December 8th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Help me...maybe it's in the thread and I'm not seeing it for the trees...but what is UCH???? Some kind of acronym for Boston College because of Chestnut Hill? But what is the U since BC is a college??? I feel like a need an airport code guide...:o

Marcus Garvey
December 8th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Help me...maybe it's in the thread and I'm not seeing it for the trees...but what is UCH???? Some kind of acronym for Boston College because of Chestnut Hill? But what is the U since BC is a college??? I feel like a need an airport code guide...:o

Boston College's campus resides primarily in "Chestnut Hill," a part of Newton, MA. Part of the campus is also within the city limits of Boston. Chestnut Hill has a post office, hence all mail to BC is adressed to "Chestnut Hill, MA," thus, the "UCH" moniker used by some of our New England bretheren.

ngineer
December 9th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Boston College's campus resides primarily in "Chestnut Hill," a part of Newton, MA. Part of the campus is also within the city limits of Boston. Chestnut Hill has a post office, hence all mail to BC is adressed to "Chestnut Hill, MA," thus, the "UCH" moniker used by some of our New England bretheren.

Thanks for the New England Primer. ;)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 9th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Gee thanks ;)

No offense intended, just didn't think of you guys as I wrote the reply. If I was a bigger hockey fan, then I would have known that you guys were playing the Beagles last night! xlolx Nice job knocking them off! :nod:

Another reason for UCH is that there actually is a Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia.

JoltinJoe
December 9th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Boston College is actually a university. Like Dartmouth College, it does not use "university" in its name.

BTW, on subject, someone on the Fordham board said he saw Dave Clawson's name mentioned for the BC job (should it in fact open) in one of the Boston area newspapers.

Cleets
December 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Since 1957, Harvard has had 3 head coaches: John Yovicsin (14 seasons), Joe Restic (23) and Tim Murphy (13).

It's a beautiful thing...