PDA

View Full Version : #16 Western Illinois @ #3 Illinois State

ST_Lawson
October 21st, 2015, 09:28 AM
Figured the other "big" game this weekend deserved a thread.

ISU is continuing their dominance from last year, while WIU has been playing (somewhat surprisingly) well.
Both are led by talented and experienced QBs who are both some of the best that their respective schools have ever seen.
Both have a RBs who are in the top 5 for rushing yards per game in the FCS.
Both have an exceptional WR corps.

Add to that the fact that this is the second-most played series for the Redbirds and the most played series for the Leathernecks...97 meetings going back to 1904...and it's Homecoming for ISU...and the winner gets sole possession of the top spot, being undefeated, in the conference...
Yea, this is kinda a big deal.

Hancock Stadium will be sold out and jam packed with fans, with likely a large and loud crowd of WIU purple...ISU is the closest Div. I school to Western (only 2 hours drive away...I know I'll be there).

Most of the rain has been taken out of the forecast for that day...supposed to be mid-60s and overcast.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm about the most excited that I've been for a game in the last 5 years.

THE HERD
October 21st, 2015, 09:33 AM
I think I speak for all of Bison Nation when I say "Go Leathernecks!"

SENOREIDA
October 21st, 2015, 09:37 AM
"Go Leathernecks!" from SC

Thumper 76
October 21st, 2015, 10:10 AM
Should be a great one

Redbirdgrad
October 21st, 2015, 11:43 AM
Good.... good........... let the hate flow through you....

WIU 17
ISU 31

PantherRob82
October 21st, 2015, 12:20 PM
No one suggest the Redbirds could lose or we will get the full wrath of their martyr complex, including a visit from 4th and ****ty.

leatherneck177
October 21st, 2015, 01:31 PM
I'm going to have go with 28-24 Necks, as they avenge last year's fourth quarter meltdown in Macomb.

RabidRabbit
October 21st, 2015, 01:34 PM
WIU is fulfilling those dark horse pre-season predictions. While I'll be watching the Hobo day game, WIU @Isur will be up in the second window. Keep it exciting Birds/Necks.

ST_Lawson
October 21st, 2015, 01:37 PM
Last year it took one of the most impressive comeback efforts (from ISU's perspective) or complete defensive collapse (from WIU's perspective) for them to win. Western's team this year is much better than they were last year...I say 34-31 Leathernecks...but we gotta get up early and hold them.

Redbirdgrad
October 21st, 2015, 02:40 PM
No one suggest the Redbirds could lose or we will get the full wrath of their martyr complex, including a visit from 4th and ****ty.

I know I post infrequently so I'm probably tough to read... I'm a Redbird fan and I will both suggest and admit that the Redbirds could lose this game. WIU has a good squad on their hands this year. I was simply referring to the fact that a couple of posts above mine posters from other schools were openly rooting against the Redbirds (as they should given national rankings of involved teams, etc.) AND referring to a particular movie sequel that's picking up steam... that's all. All in good fun my friends, don't be so uptight.

Regarding the game, I think WIU IS better than last year, and ISU is slightly down from last year, but this being played at ISU will tip the scales. If ISU's defense holds, my predection of a 2 touchdown spread will hold true. If it doesn't, we'll have a barn burner. If anything, Vegas agrees with me :)

Good luck to both schools, should be another great Valley game.

THE HERD
October 21st, 2015, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=Redbirdgrad;2270019]Good.... good........... let the hate flow through you....

Has nothing to do with hate.....to have a chance at the conference crown we need to run the table and for the Redbirds to pick up a loss somewhere. We don't get a shot at you guys, but we do get WIU at home......see what I'm saying?

eiu1999
October 21st, 2015, 03:14 PM
Hmm, since WIU and ISU both beat EIU, I'll add this.

WIU dominate the game start to finish. ISU was lucky to escape with an OT win.

Loyl2u
October 21st, 2015, 07:44 PM

As welearn each year, every game in the Valley requires that you are ready to play and just like almost anywhere, it's harder yet to win on the road. I was at the Western game in Macomb last year and the Redbirds were flat in the first half and the leathernecks smacked them in the mouth and reminded the birds of what playing away from home is like. I was also also at Eastern this year and ISU was dealing with significant injuries and trying to figure out how to fill those spots. EIU is a better team than they've been given credit for and really hard to beat at home. If the Birds played WIU with the same injuries as at EIU and on the road, this game would be WIU's, but ISUr is getting significant players back and this one is at Hancock 2.0 so ISUr 27 WIU 17.

Sycamore62
October 21st, 2015, 08:45 PM
WIU by 10

Redbird 4th & short
October 21st, 2015, 10:42 PM
who me ? 'm so flattered you can't get me out of your head.

Not sure about the martyr thing .. but if by martyr you mean someone who decides on very rare occasions to respond to idiots who reflexively bash my school .. and that makes you feel better about yourself, then call it whatever you want.

and please call me more stupid names .. it's really funny stuff ... if we're back in middle school.

BisonFan02
October 21st, 2015, 10:46 PM
Ever watch ISUr football.......ON WEED!?!?!! :D

Redbird 4th & short
October 21st, 2015, 10:48 PM
WIU is improved, and we were very impressed last year. We are not as good as last year at this point, but improving OL and finally getting healthy again .. need DL Corwin back. If were tackling well, we can contain big RB Watson .. but we have not been consistent there. Both teams improving, but ISU wins due to home field advantage in front of loud homecoming crowd ... 34-31.

PantherRob82
October 21st, 2015, 10:49 PM

Not sure about the martyr thing .. but if by martyr you mean someone who decides on very rare occasions to respond to idiots who reflexively bash my school .. and that makes you feel better about yourself, then call it whatever you want.

and please call me more stupid names .. it's really funny stuff ... if we're back in middle school.

I only said your name once. No need to show up until I say it 3 times.

Redbird 4th & short
October 21st, 2015, 11:15 PM

if WIU forces our QB to turn it over 5 times, and their special teams has 2 big returns, like the EIU game, then WIU will this game for sure. Look at the scoring drive chart for their win over EIU: 25, 14, 7, pick 6, 7, and 31. Pretty unusual game in terms of field position advantage.

1st
03:00
EIU - BRUNO, Nick 33 yd field goal 11 plays, 66 yards, TOP 4:52

1st
02:22
WIU - Lance Lenoir 19 yd pass from Trenton Norvell (Nathan Knuffman kick ) 3 plays, 25 yards, TOP 0:27

2nd
05:32
WIU - Devon Moore 1 yd run (Nathan Knuffman kick ), 9 plays, 14 yards, TOP 3:00

3rd
13:30
WIU - Nathan Knuffman 24 yd field goal 4 plays, 7 yards, TOP 1:21

3rd
02:59
WIU - Brett Taylor 42 yd interception (Nathan Knuffman kick blocked)

3rd
02:59
EIU - DEWBERRY, B 98 yd PAT return

3rd
00:54
WIU - Devon Moore 4 yd run (Nathan Knuffman kick ), 3 plays, 7 yards, TOP 0:35

4th
12:42
WIU - Nathan Knuffman 26 yd field goal 5 plays, 31 yards, TOP 1:07

OSBF
October 22nd, 2015, 08:03 AM

Put the Napoleon Complex on hold and try to be objective

It would be advantageous to numerous programs if WIU wins this one

Saying the obvious doth not constitute "hate" or "bashing"

That said, I agree with your assessment, ILS wins a close one, something like 28-24

AmsterBison
October 22nd, 2015, 08:15 AM
Every time I hear the name Trenton Norvell think it's going to be followed by "a Pfizer company" or a list preceded by "some users who have taken Trenton Norvell have experienced..."

The Big Pharm trends in TV ads may have something to do with this.

OSBF
October 22nd, 2015, 08:25 AM
Every time I hear the name Trenton Norvell think it's going to be followed by "a Pfizer company" or a list preceded by "some users who have taken Trenton Norvell have experienced..."

The Big Pharm trends in TV ads may have something to do with this.

If it lasts more than 4 hours call your doctor...........................

Sycamore62
October 22nd, 2015, 09:58 AM
If it lasts more than 4 hours call your doctor...........................

honestly, shouldnt you get nervous after 3 hours?

Redbirdgrad
October 22nd, 2015, 10:39 AM
My God people, I don't actually think other teams "hate" us or anything like that.

It was a joke... about a movie coming out... etc. etc.

This is why I post infrequently on this forum. Way too many people who jump over every word. Welcome to the internet I guess.

dewey
October 22nd, 2015, 10:50 AM
I think I speak for all of Bison Nation when I say "Go Leathernecks!"

NDSU needs WIU to win this game to have any chance at another MVFC title. That is the reason I will be cheering for WIU.

Dewey

ST_Lawson
October 22nd, 2015, 10:51 AM
My God people, I don't actually think other teams "hate" us or anything like that.

This is why I post infrequently on this forum. Way too many people who jump over every word. Welcome to the internet I guess.

Don't you know...this is the internet...we don't do funny (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=literal%20%27net) ;)

Thumper 76
October 22nd, 2015, 11:05 AM

You screwed up. Should have posted about how amazing Caseys Pizza is.

ST_Lawson
October 22nd, 2015, 11:12 AM

Nearest Casey's to WIU's Hanson Field...4,144 feet away
Nearest Casey's to ISU's Hancock Stadium...5,487 feet away

Leatherneck win confirmed.

Redbirdgrad
October 22nd, 2015, 11:32 AM

xthumbsupx Now if only Casey's can change their marketing... those commercials are TERRIBLE

OSBF
October 22nd, 2015, 11:46 AM
honestly, shouldnt you get nervous after 3 hours?

or you call every chick you've ever dated

and ask if she wants to go get a casey's pizza and head back to your place

OSBF
October 22nd, 2015, 11:54 AM

taco pizza.........................
bbq chicken.............................

might need to go out for lunch today

eiu1999
October 22nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
or you call every chick you've ever dated

and ask if she wants to go get a casey's pizza and head back to your place

40 minutes to eat, then rest and then you have plenty of time for 'later'

ST_Lawson
October 22nd, 2015, 12:40 PM
40 minutes to eat, then rest and then you have plenty of time for 'later'

I think the kids these days would call it "Casey's pizza and chill"

BisonFan02
October 22nd, 2015, 12:41 PM

Thirsty? :D

OSBF
October 22nd, 2015, 01:29 PM

So THAT is what "chill" means.......................

Learn something new on here every day

ST_Lawson
October 22nd, 2015, 01:34 PM
So THAT is what "chill" means.......................

Learn something new on here every day

Affirmative: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=netflix+and+chill

UNIFanSince1983
October 22nd, 2015, 01:38 PM
Who needs to "chill" when you have Casey's Pizza and Netflix? ;)

OSBF
October 22nd, 2015, 01:40 PM
Still amazes me how quickly a thread can go sideways

BisonFan02
October 22nd, 2015, 01:45 PM
Still amazes me how quickly a thread can go sideways and chill

FIFY

ST_Lawson
October 22nd, 2015, 01:48 PM
Still amazes me how quickly a thread can go sideways

Sometimes it's the only way to mentally deal with the "meat grinder".

Probably also has to do with the general lack of animosity in ISU/WIU "rivalry". Outside of the one time a year we play you guys, I like ISU. My mom is an Illinois State grad, you have a nice stadium that I've been to a decent number of times (although not since the new east side, I'm excited to see that on Saturday), plus we're all tied up in this "state budget $#!tshow" together.

ISU is really good, WIU is a lot better than I expected us to be, Saturday should be a great game (especially now that they took much of the rain out of the forecast for that afternoon).

So, we don't end up with a lot of "I hate you and you guys suck" going on.

OSBF
October 22nd, 2015, 02:02 PM
Sometimes it's the only way to mentally deal with the "meat grinder".

Probably also has to do with the general lack of animosity in ISU/WIU "rivalry". Outside of the one time a year we play you guys, I like ISU. My mom is an Illinois State grad, you have a nice stadium that I've been to a decent number of times (although not since the new east side, I'm excited to see that on Saturday), plus we're all tied up in this "state budget $#!tshow" together.

ISU is really good, WIU is a lot better than I expected us to be, Saturday should be a great game (especially now that they took much of the rain out of the forecast for that afternoon).

So, we don't end up with a lot of "I hate you and you guys suck" going on.

I'd invite you and your group to stop in at our tailgate to tip a few cold ones, but I'm not sure I'll be around. We've got about (+-) 150 ac of late planted corn to get out yet. That might take precedence over football Saturday. We tried to take the endrows off last Saturday and it was still 22-23% so we decided to quit and let it stand there a few more days.

Saturday is our homecoming, so traffic is going to be a nightmare. They close a lot of streets for the parade. My suggestion would be the public pay parking deck about a block East of the Stadium. No tailgating but is close to everything.
If you want to tailgate, many of the lots are now donor only lots, the best public access "pay as you go" tailgate lot is the one on the far NW corner of campus next to the baseball field.

ST_Lawson
October 22nd, 2015, 02:19 PM
I'd invite you and your group to stop in at our tailgate to tip a few cold ones, but I'm not sure I'll be around. We've got about (+-) 150 ac of late planted corn to get out yet. That might take precedence over football Saturday. We tried to take the endrows off last Saturday and it was still 22-23% so we decided to quit and let it stand there a few more days.

Saturday is our homecoming, so traffic is going to be a nightmare. They close a lot of streets for the parade. My suggestion would be the public pay parking deck about a block East of the Stadium. No tailgating but is close to everything.
If you want to tailgate, many of the lots are now donor only lots, the best public access "pay as you go" tailgate lot is the one on the far NW corner of campus next to the baseball field.

I've already got my tickets and parking pass for the parking deck to the east that you mentioned, so I'm good there. Looks like the parade mostly goes through/around campus east of where the stadium and parking is, and since we'd be coming in from the north, we should be ok avoiding that stuff.

I'm running a 10K here in Macomb in the morning, then driving over and will probably get there about an hour before kickoff, so not really much time to do any tailgating anyway. Our plan is to just grab fast food on the way in, park, enjoy the game, grab a few gondolas at Avantis (going to bring a cooler so I can take one back to my mom...it was a "staple" of her college experience at ISU) and head back down the road.

AmsterBison
October 22nd, 2015, 02:21 PM
Affirmative: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=netflix+and+chill

This just in: It better last four hours because it takes me three hours and fifty-five minutes to find something to watch on Netflix.

Also, I've put RedbirdGrad on ignore after his last post which was clearly a shot at my mother.

OSBF
October 22nd, 2015, 02:35 PM
I'm running a 10K here in Macomb in the morning

I've got one of those stickers in my car window. Says 0.0

OSBF
October 22nd, 2015, 02:43 PM
grab a few gondolas at Avantis (going to bring a cooler so I can take one back to my mom...it was a "staple" of her college experience at ISU) and head back down the road.

Be sure to get the "super gondola" Double meat and double cheese

eiu1999
October 22nd, 2015, 03:04 PM
I have a 5K and wife as 13.1.

Running is nuts, but you always want to beat your last time that keep you coming back.

ST_Lawson
October 22nd, 2015, 03:07 PM
I have a 5K and wife as 13.1.

Running is nuts, but you always want to beat your last time that keep you coming back.

Exactly. I've done quite a few 5ks, a 10k, and a handful of half's. Always trying to beat my previous best (gets harder the older I get though).

eiu1999
October 22nd, 2015, 03:22 PM
Exactly. I've done quite a few 5ks, a 10k, and a handful of half's. Always trying to beat my previous best (gets harder the older I get though).

I've done mostly 5Ks and a few 10s, but draw the line there. I don't know how she does more. Mentally I'm done there.

ST_Lawson
October 22nd, 2015, 03:29 PM
I've done mostly 5Ks and a few 10s, but draw the line there. I don't know how she does more. Mentally I'm done there.

I can't speak for her, but for me, I must have just the right combination of stupidity, stubbornness, and selective amnesia.

Redbirdgrad
October 22nd, 2015, 03:54 PM
This just in: It better last four hours because it takes me three hours and fifty-five minutes to find something to watch on Netflix.

Also, I've put RedbirdGrad on ignore after his last post which was clearly a shot at my mother.

Thank God that insult didn't fly over your head and you picked up on it.

As ST_Lawson said, "I hate you and you guys suck"! xdrunkyx

Redbird 4th & short
October 22nd, 2015, 08:26 PM
Put the Napoleon Complex on hold and try to be objective

It would be advantageous to numerous programs if WIU wins this one

Saying the obvious doth not constitute "hate" or "bashing"

That said, I agree with your assessment, ILS wins a close one, something like 28-24
you really think I have an issue with some people here wanting or predicting WIU win ??

answer .. no, not in the least

hint .. Spack, Coprich, Shelby Harris, Antonio Allen, and all things ISU .. and having nothing at all to do with this weekends game.

BisonFan02
October 22nd, 2015, 08:47 PM
you really think I have an issue with some people here wanting or predicting WIU win ??

answer .. no, not in the least

hint .. Spack, Coprich, Shelby Harris, Antonio Allen, and all things ISU .. and having nothing at all to do with this weekends game.

http://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA3LzE4Lzc1L0RyLldoby41Mjg5ZC5naWYKcAl0aH VtYgkxMjAweDk2MDA-/571ec44d/6da/Dr.-Who.gif

Sycamore62
October 22nd, 2015, 09:06 PM
I've got one of those stickers in my car window. Says 0.0

I have one too. I thought about also just buying all the ones for the ironman triathlon too. I guess technically you don't need to run it to put a sticker on your truck

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2015, 09:11 PM
Anyone getting Casey's breakfast pizza tomorrow?

Thumper 76
October 22nd, 2015, 09:59 PM
Anyone getting Casey's breakfast pizza tomorrow?

Definitely am now, thanks.

ST_Lawson
October 23rd, 2015, 08:08 AM
http://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA3LzE4Lzc1L0RyLldoby41Mjg5ZC5naWYKcAl0aH VtYgkxMjAweDk2MDA-/571ec44d/6da/Dr.-Who.gif

10th Doctor in the rain....now I've got all the feels.

OSBF
October 24th, 2015, 09:57 AM
It's finally here, IT IS GAMEDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ST_Lawson
October 24th, 2015, 03:40 PM
All tied up at halftime, 21-21

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 03:41 PM
All tied up at halftime, 21-21

What happened the last Redbird drive? I saw the long kick return, but it's still tied?

ST_Lawson
October 24th, 2015, 04:07 PM
What happened the last Redbird drive? I saw the long kick return, but it's still tied?

Defense held them...
-2 yards
+2 yards
+a few more (can't remember)
Punt

centennial
October 24th, 2015, 04:19 PM
WIU leads 28-21.

centennial
October 24th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Spock has no class. Leading by 20 1:20 to go in the game, goes for it on 4th down.

BisonFan02
October 24th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Spock has no class. Leading by 20 1:20 to go in the game, goes for it on 4th down.

He's lost track of time....maybe he thinks there's a bunch more on the clock yet. He does that.... xlolx :D

REALBird
October 24th, 2015, 05:41 PM
I like Spack. No problems with what he did. I didn't see WIU giving up on any of the plays, so you continue playing until the clock hits 00:00.

Ballgame

clenz
October 24th, 2015, 05:47 PM
One tends to lose track of the time when high

Redbirdgrad
October 24th, 2015, 06:28 PM
I know I post infrequently so I'm probably tough to read... I'm a Redbird fan and I will both suggest and admit that the Redbirds could lose this game. WIU has a good squad on their hands this year. I was simply referring to the fact that a couple of posts above mine posters from other schools were openly rooting against the Redbirds (as they should given national rankings of involved teams, etc.) AND referring to a particular movie sequel that's picking up steam... that's all. All in good fun my friends, don't be so uptight.

Regarding the game, I think WIU IS better than last year, and ISU is slightly down from last year, but this being played at ISU will tip the scales. If ISU's defense holds, my predection of a 2 touchdown spread will hold true. If it doesn't, we'll have a barn burner. If anything, Vegas agrees with me :)

Good luck to both schools, should be another great Valley game.

Defense held, as did the line.

WIU was solid, as expected.

Who's next?

ST_Lawson
October 24th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Gave up too many big plays. Our were pretty outmatched. Would have liked to keep it closer, but at least there's still plenty of games left to do well in. At the start of the season when I was predicting games and figuring out playoff scenarios, I chalked this one up as a loss anyway.

REALBird
October 24th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Gave up too many big plays. Our were pretty outmatched. Would have liked to keep it closer, but at least there's still plenty of games left to do well in. At the start of the season when I was predicting games and figuring out playoff scenarios, I chalked this one up as a loss anyway.

WIU kept the Redbird DEF off balance the whole first half. That bowling ball of a RB you guys have just gouged us all first half. Lenoir was a big playmaker. Seemed the game changed when we started getting some pressure with the pass rush. Had Teddy Corwin not returned this week, seriously you guys probably win.

its one game. But the future is bright at WIU.

Redbird 13
October 24th, 2015, 07:24 PM

Go scratch.

He's about as classy as they come.

Loyl2u
October 24th, 2015, 07:29 PM
WIU kept the Redbird DEF off balance the whole first half. That bowling ball of a RB you guys have just gouged us all first half. Lenoir was a big playmaker. Seemed the game changed when we started getting some pressure with the pass rush. Had Teddy Corwin not returned this week, seriously you guys probably win.

its one game. But the future is bright at WIU. WIU is a good team but there are going to be 40 losses in the MVFC. Getting Corwin back part-time and Perkins and Kocour back meant quite a bit today but ISUr defense still has a ways to go, Hopefully all are playing full speed by end of season. Every game in the Valley is competitive. Let's see, what did Coastal Carolina beat WIU by:D

birdsflyhigh
October 24th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Coastal Carolina being ranked higher than the ISU Redbirds this season is more than a little questionable. ISU has now knocked off 3 top 25 teams in 4 weeks, and the non-top 25 they played was a 38-2 beatdown of MSU after the dogs were called off to start the second half of that one.

After JMU going down in flames today, think ISU should be given some serious consideration for #1 in FCS. 4-0 alone at the top in the toughest conference in FCS, and the lone loss of the season being the first game out against a still undefeated Iowa team (that is sitting just outside the FBS top 10).

ISU is improving every week, so the best is yet to come, but there's still more tough games in the Valley as they close against ISU-B, SDSU, SIU and USD.

OSBF
October 24th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Go scratch.

is that why he's ok with having a convicted felon drug dealer on the team?

Is that a representation of this class of which you speak?

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Go scratch.

Go scratch? xlolx

centennial
October 24th, 2015, 07:59 PM

I think ISU fans should embrace the mantra- Win at any cost.
Never was a fan of teams that rely on transfers to win. To be fair- Spock does it well.

Thumper 76
October 24th, 2015, 08:00 PM

Really depends on what he did after they got it (if they did?) Did he kneel? In which case I get it if he just wanted to get the first to run out the clock. If he keep chucking the pigskin then I have an issue with it.

REALBird
October 24th, 2015, 08:00 PM

Give it f***** rest already. I'm in agreement that some form of punishment should have been levied, but crying about it every f***** week isn't going to change the lack of punishment. Write a letter to the Prez, AD or Coach Spack. But he gives two f**** what you think about him. Or maybe you think if you keep saying it you'll continue to get brownie points from all the UNI, NDSU and other fans.

You want to take the moral high road don't patronize ISU Athletics. Honestly, you come off as the most conflicted Redbird fan ever created. I support the team, except kids with questionable pasts, those who made mistakes, or those that transferred. That about cover it?

centennial
October 24th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Really depends on what he did after they got it (if they did?) Did he kneel? In which case I get it if he just wanted to get the first to run out the clock. If he keep chucking the pigskin then I have an issue with it.
They were close to the 50 yard line, he was trying to score BUT they threw an INT. Still doesn't change the fact that he was trying to run the score.

JayJ79
October 24th, 2015, 08:20 PM
who cares. this is D-I football not peewee.

Loyl2u
October 24th, 2015, 08:24 PM
They were close to the 50 yard line, he was trying to score BUT they threw an INT. Still doesn't change the fact that he was trying to run the score.
WIU had 10 in the box the previous 3 plays that ISUr was trying to run clock out with. He tried to throw a toss over the top to keep possession and the DB recognizing the pass dropped back enough to make interception. If he was trying to score, they'd have thrown deep.

Bisonwinagn
October 24th, 2015, 09:05 PM

This is a really ****ing stupid comment. He was trying to get the first down to end the game and the other team had everyone up to stop the run. He did what any coach should do. And as a side note if someone wants to run up the score who gives a ****????? If you don't like it stop them or stfu and go play on your cell phone instead of playing football.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2015, 09:12 PM
This is a really ****ing stupid comment. He was trying to get the first down to end the game and the other team had everyone up to stop the run. He did what any coach should do. And as a side note if someone wants to run up the score who gives a ****????? If you don't like it stop them or stfu and go play on your cell phone instead of playing football.

Why so serious?xflaggedx

ST_Lawson
October 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM

This is correct. They weren't really trying to score so much as just eat up the clock however they could to end the game...running whenever possible, only passing when they had to. I didn't see anything wrong with what they were doing...it's exactly what we'd be doing if the positions were reversed...keep the clock running, don't give the other team an opportunity to get the ball back if at all possible.

Also, regarding Coastal...CCU is a very good team, I won't deny that. But we are a much better team now than when we played Coastal and ISU just beat us down in the last quarter and a half. ISU vs CCU...if everyone is healthy...I think the Redbirds win probably 9 times out of 10. Once ISU was able to get pressure on Norvell (our QB), our offense kinda shut down. Add to that our secondary giving up a few HUGE plays...just can't compete with that, you gotta stop/limit those. I mean, just look at the scores that ISU made: 65 yard run, 9 yard run, 41 yard pass, 65 yard pass, 19 yard run, 0 yard fumble recovery (that was weird), 83 yard run....4 of their TDs were from over 40 yards out. You can't give those up and stand a chance at winning.

I don't vote, but if I did, I'd have to put ISU at #1 this week, even if JMU had pulled out a close win over Richmond.

ST_Lawson
October 24th, 2015, 10:00 PM

Well damn, when I was using proximity to nearest Casey's to determine who would win the game, I didn't take this into account:

https://i.imgur.com/TQ5mzqM.jpg?1

Casey's on the south scoreboard?!?!?!....we can't compete with that.

JayJ79
October 24th, 2015, 10:04 PM

same color scheme too

ST_Lawson
October 24th, 2015, 10:06 PM
same color scheme too

Screw it, we're going Red and Yellow with big Casey's logos on the field. It'll be Hanson Field at Casey's Stadium. Casey's pizza at the concession stands...gas card giveaways. We'll sweep the conference.

TheKingpin28
October 24th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Screw it, we're going Red and Yellow with big Casey's logos on the field. It'll be Hanson Field at Casey's Stadium. Casey's pizza at the concession stands...gas card giveaways. We'll sweep the conference.

And I thought NDSU had the closest which is about 600 feet from the dome

OSBF
October 26th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Give it f***** rest already. I'm in agreement that some form of punishment should have been levied, but crying about it every f***** week isn't going to change the lack of punishment. Write a letter to the Prez, AD or Coach Spack. But he gives two f**** what you think about him. Or maybe you think if you keep saying it you'll continue to get brownie points from all the UNI, NDSU and other fans.

You want to take the moral high road don't patronize ISU Athletics. Honestly, you come off as the most conflicted Redbird fan ever created. I support the team, except kids with questionable pasts, those who made mistakes, or those that transferred. That about cover it?

Let me tell you a story about 2 successful programs. Both had football players involved in an incident with law enforcement. Player #1 was in a vehicle that was pulled over, someone in the car was arrested/charged with drug possession. Player had nothing on him, was never charged/convicted/or even arrested, yet was dismissed from team/university.

Player #2 was caught in an undercover sting operation selling a felony quantity of an illegal controlled substance to an informant, which he of his own free will admitted to in court after being arrested/charged. He never misses a snap.

Fans of program #1 claim to be nothing special or out of the ordinary, and, in general SUPPORT the action taken by athletics and the University.

Fans of program #2 go out of their way to laud on and on and on doing things the right way, being classy, taking the moral high road etc etc etc.

See the disconnect?

Lets just knock off all the BS, we have an Athletics Admin in place right now that will do whatever it takes to win. Period. We're the Florida State of FCS. Spak is our own mini version of Bobby Bowden.

OSBF
October 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I think ISU fans should embrace the mantra- Win at any cost.
Never was a fan of teams that rely on transfers to win. To be fair- Spock does it well.

That's what both Football and Men's bball are right now, win at all cost no matter what it takes, and the fan base is responding pretty well

I think transfers are OK, to fill a specific need, to fill a glaring roster hole, if the kid wants to transfer "down" to get PT

But with Spak he uses it just like recruiting to try and build the roster, and seems to gravitate to kids with serious/relatively serious criminal incidents that directly resulted in their dismissal from their previous football program and/or university.

Might not be being done consciously suppose it could just be the luck of the draw.

Taking on the guys no one else is willing to roll the dice on sure is an easy way to get the kind of athletes that wouldn't "fall" to an ILS level program any other way.

He does his homework, more have worked out than haven't.

OSBF
October 26th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Well damn, when I was using proximity to nearest Casey's to determine who would win the game, I didn't take this into account:

https://i.imgur.com/TQ5mzqM.jpg?1

Wonder if Notre Dame wishes they had a video tower like that one?

Rollbird5
October 26th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Let me tell you a story about 2 successful programs. Both had football players involved in an incident with law enforcement. Player #1 was in a vehicle that was pulled over, someone in the car was arrested/charged with drug possession. Player had nothing on him, was never charged/convicted/or even arrested, yet was dismissed from team/university.

Player #2 was caught in an undercover sting operation selling a felony quantity of an illegal controlled substance to an informant, which he of his own free will admitted to in court after being arrested/charged. He never misses a snap.

Fans of program #1 claim to be nothing special or out of the ordinary, and, in general SUPPORT the action taken by athletics and the University.

Fans of program #2 go out of their way to laud on and on and on doing things the right way, being classy, taking the moral high road etc etc etc.

See the disconnect?

Lets just knock off all the BS, we have an Athletics Admin in place right now that will do whatever it takes to win. Period. We're the Florida State of FCS. Spak is our own mini version of Bobby Bowden.

Honestly if u still feel this strongly about it maybe it would be better to write an email, letter, or give a phone call to the athletic department or try to reach out to spack to get answers or voice your opinion. Would probably be better than crying about it on an Internet forum

RollBirds
October 26th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Wonder if Notre Dame wishes they had a video tower like that one?

That's a very insensitive attempt at a joke...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REALBird
October 26th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Honestly if u still feel this strongly about it maybe it would be better to write an email, letter, or give a phone call to the athletic department or try to reach out to spack to get answers or voice your opinion. Would probably be better than crying about it on an Internet forum

Letters to the admin are rarely published on Internet message boards. Thus, It is the equivalent of the sound of one hand clapping!

Besides, he's knowledgeable enough about FCS football that he has a certain amount of credibility on this and other boards. Hell, he'll even share a steak sandwich with you at his tailgate. All around good guy with an axe to grind! And once again, I agree with some of what he says. But as I always tell my kids "time and place". I doubt our admins, coaches or others are on AGS reading his FCS manifesto weekly about all that is wrong with ISU recruiting, coaching, etc.

Honestly maybe I don't get out as much as I used to, or he doesn't tailgate as much but haven't seen him around the friendly confines. If that's part of his protest, I applaud him for speaking with his dollars. If he wants to see more done, write a letter, talk with someone about your grievances. But either accept that they don't give a rats ass what u think and do what u feel is necessary, or stop supporting altogether.

What at good does it do to support something you disdain and don't agree with. Remove yourself from the equation and enjoy your principles and peace of mind. What he does is akin to hanging out with his ex-girlfriend and the friend she cheating on you with at their wedding. That's just torture!

REALBird
October 26th, 2015, 04:33 PM
That's what both Football and Men's bball are right now, win at all cost no matter what it takes, and the fan base is responding pretty well

I think transfers are OK, to fill a specific need, to fill a glaring roster hole, if the kid wants to transfer "down" to get PT

But with Spak he uses it just like recruiting to try and build the roster, and seems to gravitate to kids with serious/relatively serious criminal incidents that directly resulted in their dismissal from their previous football program and/or university.

Might not be being done consciously suppose it could just be the luck of the draw.

Taking on the guys no one else is willing to roll the dice on sure is an easy way to get the kind of athletes that wouldn't "fall" to an ILS level program any other way.

He does his homework, more have worked out than haven't.

so if more have worked out than haven't, what's the issue? You continue to belabor the few who didn't as opposed to the success of those that have. Even when he has taken a Shelby Harris or O'Shay Dunsmore. Both never finished their career as Redbirds. That seems to indicate they get a second chance, but have less rope than someone like Coprich who just made a dumb ass mistake.

ISUMatt
October 26th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Spock has no class.

This is the same man that sent me this as a small token after my house burned down. And more impressive, I walked up to him months later at an athletic function, introduced myself as Matt, he stopped me to tell me he remembered who I was. If you said that tongue in cheek or not isn't important, but it's a great story about his character that I wanted to share!
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/26/f8456137f03159f6a4072629a68f8c7e.jpg

ISUMatt

ISUMatt
October 26th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Todd Berry took us to the Final 4 and fans wanted to erect a statue of him. With Spack's accomplishments so far, they will probably dip him in Carbonite and display him in the trophy case when it's all said and done!

ISUMatt