PDA

View Full Version : Next man up at NDSU Easton Stick QB trial by fire

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Rather than belabor this in the game thread here it is.

Now official Wentz is out and Stick is the man. Wentz suffers wrist injury(reports broken) out 4-6 weeks minimum. So NDSU backup now starting QB Easton Stick is the man.

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Been looking forward to seeing Stick in live action.....not in this type of circumstance, but it might bode well better for the future anyway. *insert silver lining somewhere in there*

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2015, 10:37 AM
http://ndsuspectrum.com/ndsu-qb-carson-wentz-wrist-injury-confirmed/

- - - Updated - - -

Been looking forward to seeing Stick in live action.....not in this type of circumstance, but it might bode well better for the future anyway. *insert silver lining somewhere in there*
I just wish the coaching staff had given him more game reps in games we had clearly in control. Oh well it is what it is.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2015, 10:41 AM
The other link confirming this so far.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/10/20/ndsu-starting-quarterback-carson-wentz-suffers-wrist-injury/74262154/

Interesting that NDSU released this to the AP first as opposed to the local media xchinscratchx

smoothjack
October 20th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Wristgate

Grizalltheway
October 20th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the club. Our third stringer Simis was once considered the next Jordan Johnson, and looked decent being thrown into the fire against Weber. Should be a tough test against UND's defense.

Daytripper
October 20th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Cool name...Easton Stick.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2015, 10:52 AM
He had one or two FBS (Rutgers & I think 1 more) offers and was highly touted during recruiting. Now he'll get his chance to shine. Just sucks it happened this way.

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2015, 10:55 AM
At least there is a little comfort for him throwing to Urzendowski who he went to Creighton Prep with.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2015, 10:58 AM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/3864706-wentzs-status-air-indiana-state-deck

REALBird
October 20th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Well, it sucks to have Wentz go down. But if as some of you alluded that the focus seemed to be on throwing more and getting Wentz looks from the NFL. This may allow NDSU to get back to your trademark smash mouth football. A little balance in the OFF. Hopefully the RB's and WR's are equally up to the challenge to step up their game.

centennial
October 20th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Easton had a Rutgers offer and if I remember right a MAC offer as well. He isn't your regular FCS QB. However, this could easily be the end of NDSU NC run without Wentz.

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Easton had a Rutgers offer and if I remember right a MAC offer as well. He isn't your regular FCS QB. However, this could easily be the end of NDSU NC run without Wentz.

Akron, Rutgers, and Miami(OH) were offers according to Rivals.

Along with a long list of FCS offers.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Well, it sucks to have Wentz go down. But if as some of you alluded that the focus seemed to be on throwing more and getting Wentz looks from the NFL. This may allow NDSU to get back to your trademark smash mouth football. A little balance in the OFF. Hopefully the RB's and WR's are equally up to the challenge to step up their game.

Boy you said a mouthful there. This has been debated amongst friends of mine now for several weeks. We have seemed to gotten away from the Power run game we had during our 4 NC runs. Why this is has been debated. OL line issues? Running back issues? Wanting to utilize Wentzs abilities as a thrower? Top that off with our defense being Jeckyl and Hydeish this year either they are on (SDSU) or they are off (USD or UNI). Not to take away credit where it's due either but the defense just hasn't been the shutdown type of defense shown in the SDSU game this year with other teams. Maybe expectations are to high? Whatever it is and I"m sure it's a combination of many things the coaching staff has their work cut out for them to get this right and in short order or yes the NC run which was debateable before this development is even more so now.

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2015, 11:20 AM
One of you Bison fans should start the game thread but I heard a QB was injured 2 weeks ago and a defense kicked the **** out of us. Im normally positive and optimistic but look up how many meaningful points we have scored against you in 4 years. 3? maybe. the 3 that we added to the 2 pick 6s 3 years ago? I think its possible that you could beat us without your offense scoring. Maybe even if the 20yd line was our goal line.

kalm
October 20th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Losing all-galaxy quarterbacks is not always a bad thing.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2015, 11:29 AM
One of you Bison fans should start the game thread but I heard a QB was injured 2 weeks ago and a defense kicked the **** out of us. Im normally positive and optimistic but look up how many meaningful points we have scored against you in 4 years. 3? maybe. the 3 that we added to the 2 pick 6s 3 years ago? I think its possible that you could beat us without your offense scoring. Maybe even if the 20yd line was our goal line.

We thought the same thing about USD and rightfully so but look how that turned out. AGS you know. With all that being said depending on when Carson got the injury it could explain some of the play calling and of course the eventual outcome of the game (potentially). Would be interesting if Stick had been in right after the injury occurred depending on when that was and how that may have impacted the eventual outcome. We will never know and we have to live with the coaches decisions.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Well, that USD game is officially the worst game of the last 5 years for the Bison. I think Easton Stick is a solid QB but he's no Wentz. Regardless, this team is either going to rally as a whole around the freshman QB or they won't be playing by the time Wentz is healthy enough to come back.

I'm making no predictions but I'll hope for the best for Carson in his recovery and for the team to pick it up without their leader.

centennial
October 20th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Few plays by Stick here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvlFFmMQocs

Senior Year highlights-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdeatBomDMQ

centennial
October 20th, 2015, 11:35 AM
We thought the same thing about USD and rightfully so but look how that turned out. AGS you know. With all that being said depending on when Carson got the injury it could explain some of the play calling and of course the eventual outcome of the game (potentially). Would be interesting if Stick had been in right after the injury occurred depending on when that was and how that may have impacted the eventual outcome. We will never know and we have to live with the coaches decisions.
I really really dislike that we refuse to take him out after injuries. Both in the Montana and South Dakota game. Instead we would rather play with Wentz hobbling, or not being able to throw.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2015, 11:40 AM
I really really dislike that we refuse to take him out after injuries. Both in the Montana and South Dakota game. Instead we would rather play with Wentz hobbling, or not being able to throw.

Absolutely agree with you. I think the Coaching staff made a huge mistake. I'm sure if they had to do it over again they'd do it differently or I'd like to think they would. Beyond what this does to Carson and his stock for the draft and what it does to the team for our chances on going for a record 5 peat it just pisses me off as we won't get to see him play the rest of the season. He's truly a special player and they don't come around very often at least not at this level and with his skills. Oh well Easton will now be the man and who knows he may just surprise us all xdrunkyx

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Absolutely agree with you. I think the Coaching staff made a huge mistake. I'm sure if they had to do it over again they'd do it differently or I'd like to think they would. Beyond what this does to Carson and his stock for the draft and what it does to the team for our chances on going for a record 5 peat it just pisses me off as we won't get to see him play the rest of the season. He's truly a special player and they don't come around very often at least not at this level and with his skills. Oh well Easton will now be the man and who knows he may just surprise us all xdrunkyx
I wouldn't say that he's out for the rest of the season for sure. I think the expectation is at least 4 weeks so if the Bison can make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs without him he may make it back.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't say that he's out for the rest of the season for sure. I think the expectation is at least 4 weeks so if the Bison can make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs without him he may make it back.

Based on what I was told I posted that. I hope it's wrong but it's the same source I originally used and it turned out to be true but was lambasted for it.

centennial
October 20th, 2015, 11:56 AM
He could possibly be back for the last regular season game for this season. However, I don't expect him back till the playoffs. If we win a couple of games in the playoffs, he could still go high. Otherwise I expect him to be a late 2nd day or early 3rd day pick.

Thumper 76
October 20th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Cool name...Easton Stick.

Should be a hockey players name.

BisonTru
October 20th, 2015, 12:16 PM

I just re watched the final offensive drive. He shows absolutely no signs that his wrist is bothering him. I doubt the coaching staff knew. It is also possible he injured it on the second to last play which was a QB run. His last pass was a bit off, but Vraa also slipped on the comeback.

I want to see him back in a Bison uniform at some point, but more than anything I just hope he heals fine. He has a legit NFL future. Non the less, he should be healed up for the Senior Bowl and get his shot to show scouts his talents.

Darlinikki150
October 20th, 2015, 12:49 PM
They are downplaying his injury. He broke his wrist tripping over a fence hunting. I doubt we see him again this year.

Bison56
October 20th, 2015, 01:14 PM
They are downplaying his injury. He broke his wrist tripping over a fence hunting. I doubt we see him again this year.

Source?

centennial
October 20th, 2015, 02:28 PM
This is what I saw on Bisonville as well.

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Jay is hoping for a literal trial by fire. :D

Bison56
October 20th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Izzo tweeted Wentz is out 6 to 8 weeks with broken bone in wrist.

centennial
October 20th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Izzo tweeted Wentz is out 6 to 8 weeks with broken bone in wrist.
Means at best he could play quarter ,semi finals. No way in the regular season.

FargoBison
October 20th, 2015, 02:43 PM

That is not really the case though, our coaches love to run but the backs and OL are not getting it done. So Carson has really been leaned on. I think this week though in practice there has been an emphasis on changing that, some adjustments likely will be made in those areas as well.

It is going to be interesting watching what Stick brings to the table, he is probably more of a running threat then in my opinion any QB NDSU has had in recent years. Carson could run as well but Stick is a much more natural runner.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Means at best he could play quarter ,semi finals. No way in the regular season.

Chances of us seeing him back playing in a Bison uniform are virtually nil. Regardless how far we make it in the playoffs. For Bison56 my same source told me this.

centennial
October 20th, 2015, 02:48 PM
That is not really the case though, our coaches love to run but the backs and OL are not getting it done. So Carson has really been leaned on. I think this week though in practice there has been an emphasis on changing that, some adjustments likely will be made in those areas as well.

It is going to be interesting watching what Stick brings to the table, he is probably more of a running threat then in my opinion any QB NDSU has had in recent years. Carson could run as well but Stick is a much more natural runner.
His overall game reminds me of Vernon Adams. He is a better runner than any QB I've seen at NDSU- a level over Jensen and Wentz. We'll see how the big time treats him.

Chances of us seeing him back playing in a Bison uniform are virtually nil. Regardless how far we make it in the playoffs. For Bison56 my same source told me this.
:(

Drblankstare
October 20th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Just feel terrible for Wentz, great young man with a bright future, I only hope he gets healthy soon.

As for the rest of NDSU's season, it's probably going to be tough. If they had the defense from 2013, you could have a good chance of surviving a loss like this. They unfortunately don't have that this year, they are talented but they are young and have a lot to learn still.

Im sure Easton Stick is a talented QB who will have a great career, but he's not at Wentz's level. Not right now anyway.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I think you need to look at things realistically, NDSU's shot at a 5th straight ring, just took a massive hit.

Christiank22
October 20th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I understand that it doesn't look good right now but I don't think this completely eliminates NDSU from title contention. Not to sound cliché, but look at Ohio State

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Bisonator
October 20th, 2015, 03:55 PM
It sucks. Hope Carson heals quickly and this doesn't derail his shot at the NFL.

Easton will be alright but he will have to learn on the fly. He certainly has the physical tools. Actually looking forward to seeing how well he plays. Way to early to talk about playoff chances. Got to beat the trees first!

Bisonoline
October 20th, 2015, 04:02 PM

Where did you hear this?

Gangtackle11
October 20th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the club. Our third stringer Simis was once considered the next Jordan Johnson, and looked decent being thrown into the fire against Weber. Should be a tough test against UND's defense.

Welcome to Villanova's world without John Robertson.

IBleedYellow
October 20th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I'm most disappointed for Wentz as a person. I could care less about the team atm. Carson has great character and is someone you would want your kids to look up to. I fear he just won't have a fair shot at the NFL now.

For those wondering about NDSU'S running: from what I've read and heard NDSU changed to a more zone blocking scheme for runs. However I don't know anything about this and I can't say if it is or not. For all I know it's a new buzzword that came in from Bisonville.

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I heard Wentz overdosed at a brothel in Vegas.

edit: Never mind, that was Lamar Odom.

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Wentz pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Jokes aside I do feel bad for the guy. Hope for a speedy recovery and it doesn't impact his future with the NFL.

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Wentz pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Jokes aside I do feel bad for the guy. Hope for a speedy recovery and it doesn't impact his future with the NFL.

I heard he was out at a bar and someone told him Casey's breakfast pizza sucked. A fight broke out and Carson broke his wrist knocking the guy out.

Bison56
October 20th, 2015, 05:05 PM
I heard he was out at a bar and someone told him Casey's breakfast pizza sucked. A fight broke out and Carson broke his wrist knocking the guy out.

Dammit enough talk of the Casey's breakfast pizza, I ate 2 this weekend because of this site.

centennial
October 20th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Dammit enough talk of the Casey's breakfast pizza, I ate 2 this weekend because of this site.
Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FX6tzy9DB4

Bison56
October 20th, 2015, 05:19 PM
xholyx
Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FX6tzy9DB4

Thumper 76
October 20th, 2015, 05:25 PM

Damn, he is someone kids should look up to.

Catsfan90
October 20th, 2015, 05:27 PM
This is true, Brian Williams was quoted as saying he was there.

centennial
October 20th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Chris Klieman press conference about Wentz-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?a=&amp=&feature=youtu.be&amp=&v=-JplCdp7i7w&app=desktop

TennBison
October 20th, 2015, 05:50 PM

Yep, Wentz gets hurt twice this year and we lose twice. I know it is football and everyone loves a tough player, so do I. What I see as a problem here is players not able or willing to admit they are hurt more than what they will tell the coaches. Who knows if NDSU is able to win the Montana game for sure, but I find it hard to believe that if Wentz is pulled at halftime (since CK said the injury happened in the first half) that NDSU fails to win against USD. At some point and time a player has to know that they are not being effective and pull themselves out when they are not able to play the way they should due to being hurt. All it does is hurt the team.

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2015, 06:17 PM
I just cant imagine a guy thinking his wrist was broke and continuing to play if he has NFL aspirations. He probably just thought he jammed it.

on the other hand, every time I got rolled up on an ISO play or twisted an ankle, I thought I was about to be drawing disability hoping my Medcare would cover the cost of my hoveround

centennial
October 20th, 2015, 06:44 PM
I just cant imagine a guy thinking his wrist was broke and continuing to play if he has NFL aspirations. He probably just thought he jammed it.

on the other hand, every time I got rolled up on an ISO play or twisted an ankle, I thought I was about to be drawing disability hoping my Medcare would cover the cost of my hoveround
Coach K does say that it shouldn't effect his NFL career. Meaning he should make a full recovery.

AmsterBison
October 20th, 2015, 06:50 PM
This is what I saw on Bisonville as well.

You must have missed the purple (which is used because people miss even the most obvious sarcasm.)

He was hunting on Sunday. Someone threw a whiskey bottle out the window. It hit him on the wrist. His gun went off. He shot his dog.

We're a snowball fight and a party in a corn field away from this being the biggest scandal in the history of NDSU football.

That post is just weaving humorous things from NDSU's past into one big conspiracy theory.

Ed Schultz started swearing and charged into the crowd (while on air) when a Bison fan threw a whiskey bottle into the broadcast booth.
Ed Schultz is also alleged to have shot his dog which is why the "Ed shot his dog" chant was a thing (and still is on occasion.)
The snowball fight alludes to an incident where the local media made a Bison football player hitting a car with a snowball back in rimdiggity-three the Crime of the Century.
The cornfield party refers to The Trial of the Century for which, I kid you not, some North Dakota TV stations interrupted programming to show three Bison players make their pleas to the charge of throwing a huge-ass kegger out in a cornfield back in 1990.

If you can stand to rewatch the replay, you can see the play that Carson probably got hurt on. IIRC, it was a first-half passing play (an incompletion.) Edit: I recalled incorrectly - I couldn't find the play (looked at his 2nd and 3rd quarter incompletions - if it's the one I'm thinking of, he is looking to the sideline for a play so it must have a been a first or second down play - I'll look at a couple more - unfortunately, no fast forward on espn3's player.)

ming01
October 20th, 2015, 07:22 PM

I bet he'll be back for playoffs if we make it. Maybe even last game. Hell, Roethlisberger is already close to making it back. Sometimes players come back earlier then originally thought

Darlinikki150
October 20th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Where did you hear this?
I have heard multiple things today. However I trust the person who told me this info. But I also heard he punched a wall after the USD game, that's believable too considering how awful the game was. Really doesn't matter how it happened, sucks that it did. Its gonna hurt his prospects, and it hurts the team coming off a loss. I haven't given up, but the road Frisco is looking a hell of alot harder now.

IBleedYellow
October 20th, 2015, 08:33 PM
I have heard multiple things today. However I trust the person who told me this info. But I also heard he punched a wall after the USD game, that's believable too considering how awful the game was. Really doesn't matter how it happened, sucks that it did. Its gonna hurt his prospects, and it hurts the team coming off a loss. I haven't given up, but the road Frisco is looking a hell of alot harder now.

Did you not see his hand taped up for the second half? That's all you need to know.

REALBird
October 20th, 2015, 09:47 PM

I heard he was at Casey's and broke it picking the extra bacon off his Casey's breakfast pizza.

Kemo
October 20th, 2015, 09:50 PM
I heard he was at Casey's and broke it picking the extra bacon off his Casey's breakfast pizza.

In that case, he got what was coming to him!

BisonTru
October 20th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Coach K does say that it shouldn't effect his NFL career. Meaning he should make a full recovery.

I caught that as well, although I think that is somewhat coaches speak. He certainly wouldn't announce publicly any concerns. However, this should heal just fine. Kinda worrisome with it being his right hand, but he should be fine.

Personally just want to see him get to 100%, he's got a ton of talent and a real good head on his shoulders.

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I heard the Bison defense hit him late, oh wait, nevermind. xdeadhorsex

Bisonoline
October 20th, 2015, 10:41 PM
His recovery will depend on which bone is fractured. The scaphoid--navicular bone is notoriously difficult to heal due to low vascularity so they usually pin it to help the healing process. But we havent heard the details of the fracture so I wouldnt lock in on any time frame.

gotts
October 20th, 2015, 11:04 PM

I can confirm that most of what you heard is not true :)

JayJ79
October 21st, 2015, 04:55 AM
Jay is hoping for a literal trial by fire. :D

http://thewallmachine.com/files/1317171005.jpg clearly the only explaination for the Bison fourpeat is WITCHCRAFT.
burn them all!

Gil Dobie
October 21st, 2015, 08:20 AM
The cornfield party refers to The Trial of the Century for which, I kid you not, some North Dakota TV stations interrupted programming to show three Bison players make their pleas to the charge of throwing a huge-ass kegger out in a cornfield back in 1990.

Those were some pretty big parties back in the 1980's. Wasn't the same after that urban growth took over the land where that farmhouse was.

THE HERD
October 21st, 2015, 08:55 AM

That scenario would create a dilemma.....if we are in second round of playoffs, we would assumably be playing very well. Do you then rank Stick for Carson who hasn't played in six weeks or more and jeopardize the chemistry and continuity the team has developed or just roll with Stick? Would be a tough decision and obviously would have quite a few variables, but its definitely something to think about.

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2015, 09:04 AM
The other link confirming this so far.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/10/20/ndsu-starting-quarterback-carson-wentz-suffers-wrist-injury/74262154/

Interesting that NDSU released this to the AP first as opposed to the local media xchinscratchx

maybe the Fargo media was busy covering the tractor pull

Drblankstare
October 21st, 2015, 09:26 AM

Will you get real with these stupid comments. Tractor pulls are on Thursdays:D

gumby013
October 21st, 2015, 09:27 AM

Close.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3865097-video-canada-geese-find-solace-city-fargo

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2015, 10:07 AM
Will you get real with these stupid comments. Tractor pulls are on Thursdays:D

I try but seriously I thought anything Bison football would be front page news in Fargo

Jackal
October 21st, 2015, 10:48 AM
That scenario would create a dilemma.....if we are in second round of playoffs, we would assumably be playing very well. Do you then rank Stick for Carson who hasn't played in six weeks or more and jeopardize the chemistry and continuity the team has developed or just roll with Stick? Would be a tough decision and obviously would have quite a few variables, but its definitely something to think about.
If i was Coach Klieman, that's an easy decision. I put the guy in there with who already has a ring as a starter. Wouldn't hesitate.

JSUBison
October 21st, 2015, 11:43 AM
If i was Coach Klieman, that's an easy decision. I put the guy in there with who already has a ring as a starter. Wouldn't hesitate.

I know this is all waaay in the future and probably wont even play out like this, but Bill Bellichek had almost the exact same situation back in the day. When Bledsoe was injured, in went an unknown and unproven backup named Tom Brady. When Bledsoe was cleared to come back, Brady remained the starter. While Bledsoe didn't have a ring, he did have a SB appearance. Yes I went there, the Easton Stick/Tom Brady comparisons have begun.

WTFCollegefootballfan
October 21st, 2015, 12:19 PM
I heard Wentz may apply for the hardship redshirt.

centennial
October 21st, 2015, 12:21 PM
He still has a chance at the NFL. Might not be first day but he could do it. Why would he risk further injury?

BisonTru
October 21st, 2015, 12:38 PM
He still has a chance at the NFL. Might not be first day but he could do it. Why would he risk further injury?

Might as well try for the medical hardship. If he gets it he can still declare for the draft if he wants. Just leaves him more options. Might consider staying to improve his draft position, but if he's still getting first 2 round grades, personally, I'd say go to the NFL.

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2015, 12:56 PM

It think he's played in way more than 29% (or whatever it is) of NDSU's games this season.

Sycamore62
October 21st, 2015, 12:58 PM
isnt the 29% just for regular redshirts? i thought you had to miss a season for a hardship redshirt

FUGameBreaker
October 21st, 2015, 01:06 PM

Lol you can't get that after you are already 6 games into the season, wentz career at ndsu is over since I don't see you going far in the playoffs with a freshman QB and most likely finally having to play some road games, looks like ndsu finally got hit by some bad injury luck

centennial
October 21st, 2015, 01:13 PM
Lol you can't get that after you are already 6 games into the season, wentz career at ndsu is over since I don't see you going far in the playoffs with a freshman QB and most likely finally having to play some road games, looks like ndsu finally got hit by some bad injury luck
This could be true, but we are the 4 time champions, and our backup QB was P5 recruit. It's really not as cut and dry as that.

Bisonator
October 21st, 2015, 01:16 PM

We'll see, a freshman quarterback led us to the quarterfinals in 2010. Oh and we won a road game too. Should have been 2 road wins and onto the semi's but we got robbed in OT by a blind replay official. ;)

FUGameBreaker
October 21st, 2015, 01:21 PM
Basically to rephrase a little bit, I am just saying its going to be extremely tough

FUGameBreaker
October 21st, 2015, 01:28 PM
I am honestly having a hard time seeing ndsu get a win at Indiana state this saturday, man that would really get you guys into a hole

BisonTru
October 21st, 2015, 01:31 PM
I am honestly having a hard time seeing ndsu get a win at Indiana state this saturday, man that would really get you guys into a hole

Depends on what team shows up. The team that beat the Jackrabbits could easily win. The one that showed up for the Coyotes, doesn't have a shot. I'm hoping the team sees some rallying from some of the leaders. They've had a really rough week. How they respond will tell us a lot about them.

FUGameBreaker
October 21st, 2015, 01:44 PM
Depends on what team shows up. The team that beat the Jackrabbits could easily win. The one that showed up for the Coyotes, doesn't have a shot. I'm hoping the team sees some rallying from some of the leaders. They've had a really rough week. How they respond will tell us a lot about them.

Should be interesting

BisonTru
October 21st, 2015, 01:48 PM
Per Kolpack (local Bison reporter):

The injury to Carson Wentz's wrist is a crack to the scaphoid bone, happened second series of the game.

BisonBacker
October 21st, 2015, 01:58 PM
Per Kolpack (local Bison reporter):

The injury to Carson Wentz's wrist is a crack to the scaphoid bone, happened second series of the game.

http://www.medguidance.com/images/10422449/part1.jpg

Sycamore62
October 21st, 2015, 01:58 PM

Our offense has struggled even in some of our high scoring wins. if your defense can muster 2 points, im not sure your offense will have to score.

I will not get my hopes up. I didnt feel like this was a potential win to get to the playoffs prior to saturday and I still dont. You will have to step on your dick way more than you did last week for us to win.
(didnt see the USD loss, just making assumptions)

THE HERD
October 21st, 2015, 03:07 PM

I would agree, assuming he had a full weeks preperation and he was showing no ill affects during that week. Here's another scenerio though.....say we make it to Frisco and Wentz heals up just before that?? Thats a little tougher, because Stick got you there. Granted this scenerio may be a little far fetched, but stranger things have happened.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2015, 03:29 PM
Yep, easy decision to go back with Wentz if that day does come. He'll be with the team during his whole recovery so I would expect him to be heavily involved in mentoring Stick to the point where mentally he'll be as into the games as he was playing in them. Physically he shouldn't lose much since he can still condition he just won't be able to throw.

You will have to step on your dick way more than you did last week for us to win.

(didnt see the USD loss, just making assumptions)
I unfortunately did see the USD loss and I'm not sure it's possible for the team to step on their dick worse than they did that week.

We'll find out real quick what this team is made of this weekend. I certainly don't have national title expectations anymore for this team but one thing I'll say is every player on this team has grown up in the program with a culture of winning and I don't think one injury, no matter to how significant of a player, will break that. I think the team as a whole rallies and will surprise some who think that NDSU's goose is cooked but I can't see a playoff run like we're used to seeing in Fargo happening without massive improvement from the O-line (running game) and the struggling OLBs/safeties on defense.

BisonBacker
October 21st, 2015, 03:52 PM
Wentz is going to be in a cast. That cast will most likely be on a minimum of 4 weeks probably longer if you read this article https://www.hss.edu/conditions_scaphoid-fractures-non-union-wrist-fractures.asp

I just don't believe after having a cast on his arm for 4 to possibly 8 weeks would he have the strength in that arm/hand much less be cleared to play. I'm no doctor but if you read that link and take a look at what it says the average healing time is the likely hood of Carson suiting up and playing in a Bison uniform seems like a pipe dream.

BisonBacker
October 21st, 2015, 03:53 PM
Yep, easy decision to go back with Wentz if that day does come. He'll be with the team during his whole recovery so I would expect him to be heavily involved in mentoring Stick to the point where mentally he'll be as into the games as he was playing in them. Physically he shouldn't lose much since he can still condition he just won't be able to throw.

I unfortunately did see the USD loss and I'm not sure it's possible for the team to step on their dick worse than they did that week.

We'll find out real quick what this team is made of this weekend. I certainly don't have national title expectations anymore for this team but one thing I'll say is every player on this team has grown up in the program with a culture of winning and I don't think one injury, no matter to how significant of a player, will break that. I think the team as a whole rallies and will surprise some who think that NDSU's goose is cooked but I can't see a playoff run like we're used to seeing in Fargo happening without massive improvement from the O-line (running game) and the struggling OLBs/safeties on defense.

Nailed it!!

BisonFan02
October 21st, 2015, 04:19 PM
We'll see, a freshman quarterback led us to the quarterfinals in 2010. Oh and we won a road game too. Should have been 2 road wins and onto the semi's but we got robbed in OT by a blind replay official. ;)

Yup....the last time the Bison had a redshirt freshmen at QB make a debut (by debut, meaningful game reps and not garbage time) was this guy against Morgan State in 2010. :D

Picture of him in action during that game........

http://www.nmnathletics.com/pics31/1024/DW/DWNCEOFVTWUPCHS.20100926061629.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 21st, 2015, 04:24 PM
Wentz is going to be in a cast. That cast will most likely be on a minimum of 4 weeks probably longer if you read this article https://www.hss.edu/conditions_scaphoid-fractures-non-union-wrist-fractures.asp

I just don't believe after having a cast on his arm for 4 to possibly 8 weeks would he have the strength in that arm/hand much less be cleared to play. I'm no doctor but if you read that link and take a look at what it says the average healing time is the likely hood of Carson suiting up and playing in a Bison uniform seems like a pipe dream.

I agree.

I think CW is done for the year.

ES is now the guy. 3 1/2 years....sounds like another Bison QB we've had!!!

BisonFan02
October 21st, 2015, 04:28 PM
I agree.

I think CW is done for the year.

ES is now the guy. 3 1/2 years....sounds like another Bison QB we've had!!!

The younger guys are going to have to take over the team from a leadership prospective just like in 2010 and 2011....

BisonTru
October 21st, 2015, 05:13 PM

FWIW, I just broke my ankle and had surgery. I was put in splint for a couple weeks and then allowed to do some light movement. Still couldn't put weight on it, but I was encouraged to move it around as much as I could.

Obviously an ankle isn't a wrist, but I asked a question on Bisonville about how long he might be in a cast. And the response I got was it really varies. Depends on how it broke and how its healing.

jacksfan29
October 21st, 2015, 05:38 PM
My son broke his arm above the wrist this summer. Had the cast on for 4 weeks, splint another 2. Friend broke his wrist the same day. Friend had the cast on for 12 weeks. The small bones in the wrist are buggers. You have to be very careful to not push it. My guess is Wentz is done at NDSU. No way will he come back and jeopardize an NFL career.

FWIW, I just broke my ankle and had surgery. I was put in splint for a couple weeks and then allowed to do some light movement. Still couldn't put weight on it, but I was encouraged to move it around as much as I could.

Obviously an ankle isn't a wrist, but I asked a question on Bisonville about how long he might be in a cast. And the response I got was it really varies. Depends on how it broke and how its healing.

Sycamore62
October 21st, 2015, 06:35 PM
Johnny Walker broke his dick in a high school game and he was back the next week after Ironman/Sherlock Holmes came in to finish out the game before his career at State.

UNIFanSince1983
October 21st, 2015, 08:32 PM
I assume this is his non-throwing hand?

I broke my wrist two summers ago. Of course mine was just a chip fracture, and not on the scaphoid which I hear is much worse than where I had mine. I only had a cast for 4 weeks, and then a splint for a few more. Was playing softball again while using the splint. Still very painful, but was also my throwing arm.

Sycamore62
October 21st, 2015, 08:48 PM
NDSU is 9 pt favorites. Did anyone see the line before the injury report

F'N Hawks
October 21st, 2015, 09:37 PM

Bisonwinagn
October 21st, 2015, 09:50 PM
I assume this is his non-throwing hand?

I broke my wrist two summers ago. Of course mine was just a chip fracture, and not on the scaphoid which I hear is much worse than where I had mine. I only had a cast for 4 weeks, and then a splint for a few more. Was playing softball again while using the splint. Still very painful, but was also my throwing arm.

Wrong assumption if it was he would play this week. He's done for the year!!

CappinHard
October 21st, 2015, 11:06 PM

It was 13.5, and now that it has moved to 9, I'm going to make some money off of it. Stick will come in and do fine. NDSU will come out looking to make a statement, and they'll win by 3 TDs.

BisonBacker
October 22nd, 2015, 08:35 AM
My point about him being done for the year has nothing to do with my knowledge of medicine which is nil. It's common sense reading that article along with 2 points.

1. Even if he gets the cast off in 4-6 weeks no way would he have the strength yet in that arm to play at 100%
2. If NDSU makes a deep run into the playoffs that means that Easton is playing very well. You don't get to that point with a marginal QB.

So why would you put a guy back in who's coming off an injury who likely isn't going to be anywhere near 100% and replace a guy who got you to that point who is likely 100%?
I think Carson's injury's this year (Ankle in Montana and Wrist with USD) and his desire to compete and not pull himself from those games directly resulted in those 2 losses. Would we have lost with Easton playing in his place? Can't say but a 100% healthy and quality QB I believe gives you a better chance to win than a ??% healthy and quality QB.

AmsterBison
October 22nd, 2015, 09:06 AM

In 2010, didn't Brock break his collar bone in an October game against Youngstown State?

FUGameBreaker
October 22nd, 2015, 10:48 AM
If NDSU loses saturday the focus will shift to, can they even make the playoffs?

That puts the pressure on this saturday for the bison for sure.

dewey
October 22nd, 2015, 10:57 AM
In 2010, didn't Brock break his collar bone in an October game against Youngstown State?

Good memory AB!

Here is an excerpt from the Bison Media Blog.
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/a-history-lesson/

Let’s go back to October 9th, 2010. Brock Jensen was starting his third straight game, coming off a home loss to Western Illinois, playing on the road at Youngstown State. Jensen was sacked to the turf and in the process, his collarbone was broken. Jensen was replaced by Jose Mohler, who rallied NDSU to a crazy 34-29 win and put NDSU at 4-2 on the season.
NDSU played another road game the following week and lost at Illinois State and put them at 4-3 on the season. The Bison then had to win out to make the postseason, they won three straight games over Indiana State, Southern Illinois and South Dakota State to put them at 7-3. The hiccup came at Missouri State, when Jensen returned to the lineup (and was hurt again), the infamous 3-0 game, as the Bison finished 7-4, but made the playoffs, thanks to their win over Kansas.

My point about him being done for the year has nothing to do with my knowledge of medicine which is nil. It's common sense reading that article along with 2 points.

1. Even if he gets the cast off in 4-6 weeks no way would he have the strength yet in that arm to play at 100%
2. If NDSU makes a deep run into the playoffs that means that Easton is playing very well. You don't get to that point with a marginal QB.

So why would you put a guy back in who's coming off an injury who likely isn't going to be anywhere near 100% and replace a guy who got you to that point who is likely 100%?
I think Carson's injury's this year (Ankle in Montana and Wrist with USD) and his desire to compete and not pull himself from those games directly resulted in those 2 losses. Would we have lost with Easton playing in his place? Can't say but a 100% healthy and quality QB I believe gives you a better chance to win than a ??% healthy and quality QB.

Your logic makes complete sense to me. How would you bench a quarterback that has played well enough to get NDSU into the playoffs for a cold and rusty Carson Wentz. I think the only way Wentz plays again is if NDSU gets a 1st round bye and Wentz is fully healed with 2 weeks of practice time and Stick has struggled during that time but the running gmae has been dominant (yet to happen this year).
Dewey

Grizalltheway
October 22nd, 2015, 11:52 AM
Damn.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CR7rtKoXIAAOcF9.png:large

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2015, 12:23 PM
Good memory AB!

Here is an excerpt from the Bison Media Blog.
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/a-history-lesson/

So basically what he's saying is the Bison will probably only get to about the quarterfinals this year but the title will be back where it belongs in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019? I'm ok with that.... I guess. :p

centennial
October 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
So basically what he's saying is the Bison will probably only get to about the quarterfinals this year but the title will be back where it belongs in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019? I'm ok with that.... I guess. :p
Not only that we have benefited from FCOA. We probably have the best recruiting class in the FCS for 2016, and it will get even better in 2017+. We also develop talent among the best in the FCS, and have classes coming in that are at mid MAC, lower MW level. With the FCOA we are actually becoming a wolf in sheep's clothing.

centennial
October 22nd, 2015, 12:36 PM
Not only that we have benefited from FCOA. We probably have the best recruiting class in the FCS for 2016, and it will get even better in 2017+. We also develop talent among the best in the FCS, and have classes coming in that are at mid MAC, lower MW level. With the FCOA we are actually becoming a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Per 247-
13 hard commits
1-3 star
11- 2 star
1- not rated

http://ndsu.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

BisonFan02
October 22nd, 2015, 12:39 PM
Per 247-
13 hard commits
1-3 star
11- 2 star
1- not rated

http://ndsu.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

I don't believe in star ratings....the Bison have recruited highly touted guys before....only to get beat out by walkons. (See guys like Haeg and Shaetz)

centennial
October 22nd, 2015, 12:45 PM
I don't believe in star ratings....the Bison have recruited highly touted guys before....only to get beat out by walkons. (See guys like Haeg and Shaetz)
They are not offered on the basis of stars, mostly from camps, visits. However, there is a surge in quality of players IMO. How they develop will be up to the coaches, and their own hard work.

eiu1999
October 22nd, 2015, 01:04 PM
My son broke his arm above the wrist this summer. Had the cast on for 4 weeks, splint another 2. Friend broke his wrist the same day. Friend had the cast on for 12 weeks. The small bones in the wrist are buggers. You have to be very careful to not push it. My guess is Wentz is done at NDSU. No way will he come back and jeopardize an NFL career.

Agreed he should not come back, just get ready for the NFL at this point.

BisonFan02
October 22nd, 2015, 01:38 PM
Agreed he should not come back, just get ready for the NFL at this point.

Agree....get healthy...get strength back....go to combine.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 22nd, 2015, 01:52 PM
Damn.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CR7rtKoXIAAOcF9.png:large

Didn't see this yet.

Wow.

Heal up and get ready for the combine.

BisonFan02
October 22nd, 2015, 01:54 PM
Didn't see this yet.

Wow.

Heal up and get ready for the combine.

Kinda old news though other than the graphic. Kiper has been pimping Wentz at #3 QB on his board for awhile now.

BisonBacker
October 22nd, 2015, 02:08 PM

Agreed, you can be a 5 star recruit doesn't equate to success on the field until you prove it "On the Field"!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 22nd, 2015, 02:10 PM
Kinda old news though other than the graphic. Kiper has been pimping Wentz at #3 QB on his board for awhile now.

I thought he was #5 on Kipers board.

#3 QB means a possible 1st or 2nd day draft for him.

BisonFan02
October 22nd, 2015, 02:15 PM
I thought he was #5 on Kipers board.

#3 QB means a possible 1st or 2nd day draft for him.

That might have been McShay that had him at #5 (and still does I think?)

BisonTru
October 22nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
That might have been McShay that had him at #5 (and still does I think?)

McShay had Wentz #3 as well. He had Cook ahead of Wentz, but Praxton below him.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 22nd, 2015, 02:23 PM
Ha! Who was that NDSU (I think) fan that scoffed at me last year when I said Wentz was an NFL QB?

Sycamore62
October 22nd, 2015, 02:35 PM
I have no problem saying he will be an early-rounder. QBs are regularly taken early due to teams really needing one. This isnt a knock on CW.

same thing with Garoppolo 2 years ago

dewey
October 22nd, 2015, 03:03 PM
There was an article last summer before the season even started that Mel Kiper had CW as his #3 quarterback.

Here is the article.
http://www.inforum.com/sports/3773568-espns-kiper-gives-high-praise-wentz-ranks-him-no-3-his-best-senior-quarterback

Carson Wentz most important job now is to teach Easton Stick as the season is far from over.

I do like your logic sir!

Dewey

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2015, 04:27 PM
xsmiley_wixKiper had Wentz as the #3 senior QB before the season (behind Cook and someone else). He's now #3 including projected underclassmen who will declare like Goff from Cal so he's technically moved up in Kiper's rankings since then.

Btw, last I heard Wentz was #29 overall on McShay's big board.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 22nd, 2015, 04:46 PM
xsmiley_wixKiper had Wentz as the #3 senior QB before the season (behind Cook and someone else). He's now #3 including projected underclassmen who will declare like Goff from Cal so he's technically moved up in Kiper's rankings since then.

Btw, last I heard Wentz was #29 overall on McShay's big board.

Wow, #29. Dang, that would be awesome watching him go the 1st day.

He has all the measureables and is really smart. Hopefully he has a good combine.

Hope the Steelers take him!!!!!

centennial
October 22nd, 2015, 04:52 PM
Wow, #29. Dang, that would be awesome watching him go the 1st day.

He has all the measureables and is really smart. Hopefully he has a good combine.

Hope the Steelers take him!!!!!
Wentz will need a great senior bowl, and combine to even think about being a first day pick now. I see him as a second day pick with the injury.

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2015, 06:12 PM
Wentz will need a great senior bowl, and combine to even think about being a first day pick now. I see him as a second day pick with the injury.
If he's healed up by the Senior Bowl and the combine, and I'm sure they'll have his wrist under the metaphorical microscope, I don't think his draft stock will be hurt much by the injury. His true draft value was always going to hinge on his performances at the Senior Bowl and the combine rather than his performance at NDSU. I don't think most scouts consider the level of competition in the FCS as giving a very good gauge of his ability against higher level competition so he'll still have the same chance to prove he can play at that level since he should be completely healthy by that time.

BisonTru
October 22nd, 2015, 08:03 PM
If he's healed up by the Senior Bowl and the combine, and I'm sure they'll have his wrist under the metaphorical microscope, I don't think his draft stock will be hurt much by the injury. His true draft value was always going to hinge on his performances at the Senior Bowl and the combine rather than his performance at NDSU. I don't think most scouts consider the level of competition in the FCS as giving a very good gauge of his ability against higher level competition so he'll still have the same chance to prove he can play at that level since he should be completely healthy by that time.

JMO, but I think the QB position is somewhat insulated from the weaker competition argument. A lot of other position face a lot of one-on-one battles and at the FCS level a lot of times NFL prospects are going against much weaker competition. A Qb is somewhat going against a whole defense and working with FCS level WRs and TEs.

At the Qb position, your questions are. How's his pre snap reads? How's his footwork? Does he get through his progressions? Does he deliver an accurate ball? Can he make all the throws? Can he make decisions under pressure? I think you can answer a lot of those questions with his tape. Now, the FBS game is going to be a little faster and the NFL game is widely faster, but I think you can get fairly good gauge from his tape.

Honestly I think it would be harder to evaluate a spread Qb vs. an FCS QB who's running a fairly pro-style offense.

BisonBacker
October 23rd, 2015, 09:28 AM

JMO, but I think the QB position is somewhat insulated from the weaker competition argument. A lot of other position face a lot of one-on-one battles and at the FCS level a lot of times NFL prospects are going against much weaker competition. A Qb is somewhat going against a whole defense and working with FCS level WRs and TEs.

At the Qb position, your questions are. How's his pre snap reads? How's his footwork? Does he get through his progressions? Does he deliver an accurate ball? Can he make all the throws? Can he make decisions under pressure? I think you can answer a lot of those questions with his tape. Now, the FBS game is going to be a little faster and the NFL game is widely faster, but I think you can get fairly good gauge from his tape.

Honestly I think it would be harder to evaluate a spread Qb vs. an FCS QB who's running a fairly pro-style offense.

I think there is some validity to both comments. I agree that the view by scouts is tainted by the level of the competition but I also think that they look at the skills of the athlete and things that can't be taught such as height and speed. Ability to read a defense is crucial and Carson has already proved that. Skill like BisonTru mentioned (footwork, how quickly he can deliver/pass, accuracy) all things they have plenty of tape on already and the combine will give him the chance to show off his skills.

ming01
October 24th, 2015, 03:38 AM

Because it's Carson Wentz

Kemo
October 24th, 2015, 07:46 AM
So if it turns out the new Bison QB performs so bad it's comical will he be called Easton Shtick? xsmiley_wix

* I'm very aware of his pedigree, so there is no need to risk carpal tunnel to refute my "in jest" post

TennBison
October 24th, 2015, 09:26 AM

This team would be 5-1 and maybe even 6-0 if Wentz would have realized his injuries and pulled himself or told the coaches the extent of how he was hurting. I can't help but think that he did not want to come out of those games in order to try to impress NFL scouts. I am all for having a tough QB, but players need to know the difference between being injured and being hurt. If you hurt you might be able to keep playing depending on what is hurt and the position you play, if you are injured you can't and need to stop or not even start playing in a game. Wentz was injured twice and both times his play dropped off to the point of being ineffective. I find it hard to believe at the moment that Easton Stick would not have been more effective than Wentz was at that point.

UNIFanSince1983
October 24th, 2015, 09:32 AM
The thing is though if he was injured why didn't the coaches say hey we need you to get healthy. Obviously he had to have been looked at by the trainers. And if they knew he was hurt, and was ineffective why did they not pull him at that point?

I don't think you can blame the QB on this one. I know if he doesn't want to come out you still have to make him come out if he is hurting your team. I think the coaches probably felt like Carson even not a full strength gave the team the best chance to win in those games.

Christiank22
October 24th, 2015, 09:39 AM
This team would be 5-1 and maybe even 6-0 if Wentz would have realized his injuries and pulled himself or told the coaches the extent of how he was hurting. I can't help but think that he did not want to come out of those games in order to try to impress NFL scouts. I am all for having a tough QB, but players need to know the difference between being injured and being hurt. If you hurt you might be able to keep playing depending on what is hurt and the position you play, if you are injured you can't and need to stop or not even start playing in a game. Wentz was injured twice and both times his play dropped off to the point of being ineffective. I find it hard to believe at the moment that Easton Stick would not have been more effective than Wents was at that point.
You cannot be serious with that "impressing the scouts" stuff can you? You must have never played football if you honestly think this. In the heat of the moment a broken wrist can feel like barely anything. I've played on a dislocated and sprained ankle because it happened mid game, and at the time it felt tweeked but fine. That night I couldn't walk on it. With adrenaline running through you, you would be pretty surprised what your body can do.

dewey
October 24th, 2015, 09:46 AM
You cannot be serious with that "impressing the scouts" stuff can you? You must have never played football if you honestly think this. In the heat of the moment a broken wrist can feel like barely anything. I've played on a dislocated and sprained ankle because it happened mid game, and at the time it felt tweeked but fine. That night I couldn't walk on it. With adrenaline running through you, you would be pretty surprised what your body can do.

Like you said I seriously doubt that Carson Wentz was concerned about the NFL scouts but more trying to 'suck it up' to help his team find a way to win the game. I put the blame on the coaches for not pulling him if he is injured and ineffective due to the injury.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 24th, 2015, 09:53 AM
This team would be 5-1 and maybe even 6-0 if Wentz would have realized his injuries and pulled himself or told the coaches the extent of how he was hurting. I can't help but think that he did not want to come out of those games in order to try to impress NFL scouts. I am all for having a tough QB, but players need to know the difference between being injured and being hurt. If you hurt you might be able to keep playing depending on what is hurt and the position you play, if you are injured you can't and need to stop or not even start playing in a game. Wentz was injured twice and both times his play dropped off to the point of being ineffective. I find it hard to believe at the moment that Easton Stick would not have been more effective than Wents was at that point.

Disagree

FargoBison
October 24th, 2015, 10:05 AM
This team would be 5-1 and maybe even 6-0 if Wentz would have realized his injuries and pulled himself or told the coaches the extent of how he was hurting. I can't help but think that he did not want to come out of those games in order to try to impress NFL scouts. I am all for having a tough QB, but players need to know the difference between being injured and being hurt. If you hurt you might be able to keep playing depending on what is hurt and the position you play, if you are injured you can't and need to stop or not even start playing in a game. Wentz was injured twice and both times his play dropped off to the point of being ineffective. I find it hard to believe at the moment that Easton Stick would not have been more effective than Wentz was at that point.

The obsession that some people have with Carson and the NFL is pathetic. He is a damn football player, he is going to want to play no matter what. The guy threw a TD pass with his injury, everyone thought he had a sprain until the day later when he realized the pain was getting worse. The main problem in that game was the OL, they were a trainwreck.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 24th, 2015, 10:10 AM
The obsession that some people have with Carson and the NFL is pathetic. He is a damn football player, he is going to want to play no matter what. The guy threw a TD pass with his injury, everyone thought he had a sprain until the day later when he realized the pain was getting worse. The main problem in that game was the OL, they were a trainwreck.

This is the biggest problem with the offense. Total underachievers so are this year.

TennBison
October 24th, 2015, 10:10 AM

I have played plenty of football and at the college level. If he felt fine like you think he might have, then why did he need to be taped up for both injuries ? No doubt at that point that Wentz, and even the coaches know that something at some level is up. True that it might not be impressing the NFL scouts, but it is always something like either pride, not wanting to look weak in front of the team, or maybe he thought he was ok and did not know how badly he was injured. Either way his level of play dropped both times because of being injured. And his not taking himself out or letting the coaches know how bad he was hurt so they could take him out cost us at the very least one of those games if not both. The coaching staff is just as much to blame (if not totally to blame), they for sure have to know that these kids want to do all they can to play and have to look out for the kids safety.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2015, 10:21 AM
I have played plenty of football and at the college level. If he felt fine like you think he might have, then why did he need to be taped up for both injuries ? No doubt at that point that Wentz, and even the coaches know that something at some level is up. True that it might not be impressing the NFL scouts, but it is always something like either pride, not wanting to look weak in front of the team, or maybe he thought he was ok and did not know how badly he was injured. Either way his level of play dropped both times because of being injured. And his not taking himself out or letting the coaches know how bad he was hurt so they could take him out cost us at the very least one of those games if not both. The coaching staff is just as much to blame (if not totally to blame), they for sure have to know that these kids want to do all they can to play and have to look out for the kids safety.

I don't think Carson's injuries were the reason why we lost either game, the defense was a joke in both games and the OL decided to join the defense in being a joke against USD.

Guys go get taped up and go back into the game all the time. Obviously they knew he wasn't 100% but at what point do you go to the back up, if your QB isn't going to play at less then 100% he will always be out of the game.

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2015, 10:21 AM

you make it sound like your coach is asleep at the switch, there allowed to pull the QB !

TennBison
October 24th, 2015, 10:30 AM
I don't think Carson's injuries were the reason why we lost either game, the defense was a joke in both games and the OL decided to join the defense in being a joke against USD.

Guys go get taped up and go back into the game all the time. Obviously they knew he wasn't 100% but at what point do you go to the back up, if your QB isn't going to play at less then 100% he will always be out of the game.
I get it that guys go back in taped up, that is called IMO playing while being hurt. But Wentz was not hurt, he was injured, no doubt about it at this point. You are correct, his injuries are not the only reason we lost the game, and defense played bad against the run and it cost us. But if the offense in both games would not have dropped off after Wentz got injured, and could have played even average at the QB position we win against USD, and probably/maybe against Montana.

gsf23nd
October 24th, 2015, 11:47 AM
This is the biggest problem with the offense. Total underachievers so are this year.

Is the line underachieving or are they running a scheme that they really weren't recruited and coached to run the last 4 years....still not quite sure which it is....

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 24th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Is the line underachieving or are they running a scheme that they really weren't recruited and coached to run the last 4 years....still not quite sure which it is....

Agree to a point. Zone blocking is basically getting in someone's way or blocking a zone or area and the back finding a hole. Can any OL do this?

If I could ask Coach P a question it would be "why try to reinvent the wheel"?

This game is going to be really interesting. What will Polacek do?

jacksfan29
October 24th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Didn't he hurt his ankle late in the game against Montana? Last series?

I get it that guys go back in taped up, that is called IMO playing while being hurt. But Wentz was not hurt, he was injured, no doubt about it at this point. You are correct, his injuries are not the only reason we lost the game, and defense played bad against the run and it cost us. But if the offense in both games would not have dropped off after Wentz got injured, and could have played even average at the QB position we win against USD, and probably/maybe against Montana.

gsf23nd
October 24th, 2015, 12:13 PM
First series and Stick runs it in for a TD. 29 yards on a 3rd and 5.

centennial
October 24th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Indiana State running no huddle.

centennial
October 24th, 2015, 12:29 PM
They went from power to man or zone. We are pulling the O line much anymore.

centennial
October 24th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Woo... Easton can throw to the sidelines almost as good as Wentz.

TennBison
October 24th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Didn't he hurt his ankle late in the game against Montana? Last series?

It was about mid way through the 4th maybe as late as 5 minutes to go. For sure not on the last series for the Bison.

centennial
October 24th, 2015, 01:36 PM
It was about mid way through the 4th maybe as late as 5 minutes to go. For sure not on the last series for the Bison.
I remember it being in the 3rd. I'll have to check.

TennBison
October 24th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I remember it being in the 3rd. I'll have to check.

3rd, man am I off. All I can remember for sure was the play by play guys talking about how the trainers taped up both ankles so that Montana would not be able to know which one was hurt.