PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-19

JALMOND
October 19th, 2015, 11:23 PM
Are we finally getting some separation at the top of the Big Sky? Maybe, but if that is the case, there are certainly some strange teams emerging at the top this season. The usual suspects are falling by the wayside, being replaced by some odd looking teams. Well, parity is a good thing, isn't it. But there is still a lot of football to be played. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). And as usual, all are my opinion only and all are open for discussion. This should be good.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---last week won at Idaho State 45-28, this week at Northern Colorado---This season, where there is a lot of new blood showing up near the top, the top dog is still the Eagles. Still rolling, still doing what they need to do to win. They have been pretty much the only constant.

2. Southern Utah (2)---last week beat Sacramento State at home 44-0, this week at UC-Davis---Another Saturday, another game, another 44-0 win. Everyone else is beating up on the heavyweights and the Thunderbirds are methodically moving along, building consistency.

3. Portland State (3)---last week beat Montana State at home 59-42, this week at Cal Poly---Yet another big test last week for the Vikings and once again they passed with flying colors. Discovering some offensive power helps when your defense can't slow the other team down.

4. Weber State (6)---last week beat North Dakota at home 25-24, this week at Northern Arizona---Things looked rather bleak for the Wildcats, yet they were able to come back for the victory and keep their magical season rolling. They better keep finding ways to win as they have some heavies coming in.

5. Cal Poly (5)---last week bye, this week Portland State at home---The Mustangs have been beaten up and left for dead, and they probably need to win out for any chance at the playoffs. But things have got to start getting easier, shouldn't they? Well maybe after this week.

6. Montana State (4)---last week lost at Portland State 59-42, this week East Tennessee State (FCS Independent) at home---It is no secret the Bobcats defense is not good, especially away from home. It is also no secret that their quarterback is really awesome. But playing shootouts every week can be taxing and you could find yourself on the losing end more often than you want.

7. Montana (7)---last week bye, this week North Dakota at home---The Grizzlies took the week off to try to recover the speed that they showcased in the opening week against the other North Dakota school. The question here is are they healthy enough to get back in the playoff picture.

8. Northern Arizona (9)---last week bye, this week Weber State at home---The Lumberjacks are also trying to get back in the playoff hunt, something that took a serious blow after losing to UC-Davis. A week off can surely help but they have to be ready now to get after it.

9. North Dakota (8)---last week lost at Weber State 25-24, this week at Montana---The Dakotans had the game last week in their grasp, yet they let it slip away at the end. Still in line for the playoffs, they need to somehow figure out how to win in the hostile confines of Missoula.

10. Northern Colorado (12)---last week beat UC-Davis at home 56-27, this week Eastern Washington at home---What seems really odd about this season is that somehow the Bears are sitting in the middle of this wide open conference race. But do they really have the horses to get the win this week? Well, weird things have happened so far.

11. Idaho State (11)---last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 45-28, this week at Sacramento State---While the defense still seems to be stagnant, the Bengals offense has shown signs of life in the last couple weeks. Maybe a good time as they finally have a game that they should be favored in.

12. UC-Davis (10)---last week lost at Northern Colorado 56-27, this week Southern Utah at home---Now it seems like the Aggies are on a roller coaster and they can't get off. They beat Northern Arizona only to fall to Northern Colorado. Now they entertain the upstart Thunderbirds.

13. Sacramento State (13)---last week lost at Southern Utah 44-0, this week Idaho State at home---Not good for the Hornets as they are hoping for anything at this point. They may have a shot this weekend, but they thought they had a good shot against Northern Colorado.

RECAP: 1-3 inching ahead, 4 trying to keep up, 5-9 falling a bit, 10-13 bringing up the rear.

Nodak78
October 20th, 2015, 08:04 AM
I would have PSU ahead of SUU. Otherwise agree with the list.

tomq04
October 20th, 2015, 12:37 PM
I have a hard time not having PSU #1 at this point, and has SUU beaten anyone not on the bottom half? I get that they are SOUNDLY crushing competition, but who have their W's been again?

tomq04
October 20th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I finally check out SUU's schedule and they have the softest schedule in the Sky as far as I can tell...their Defense is great, and MSU and Cal Poly will both be tests, but until that game against PSU (weird to say) they aren't playing anyone amazing. I would definitely have it sit at:

1. PSU
2. EWU
3. maybe SUU. Definitely 4.

bobcathpdevil56
October 20th, 2015, 02:46 PM
As long as PSU keeps winning, J is going to keep them at 3. No sense in jinxing them now!

I think it should be as tomq04 said, PSU is #1 right now

GoAgs72
October 20th, 2015, 04:26 PM
As long as PSU keeps winning, J is going to keep them at 3. No sense in jinxing them now!

I think it should be as tomq04 said, PSU is #1 right now

Ditto. Time to move PSU up boss.

wapiti
October 20th, 2015, 07:27 PM
and now for what each team needs to do earn the magical 7 Div 1 wins :

EWU - Win 3 of 5. @NC, WSU, NAU, @UM, PSU
I think EWU could win all 5 remaining games. PSU being the toughest one left.

SUU - Win 4 of 5. @UCD, CP, @MSU, @PSU, NAU
With 3 of the remaining games road games. SUU will have to play well on the road to get to 7.

PSU - Win 3 of 5. @CP, UM, @NC, SUU, @EWU
PSU will have to win 1 of its remaining road games and take care of business at home. PSU has a good chance to get to 7.

WSU - Win 3 of 4. @NAU, @EWU, UCD, ISU
If the BBQ can beat NAU on the road they have a good chance to get to 7.

UM - Win 4 of 5. ND, @PSU, @ISU, EWU, @MSU
UM has its hands full to get to 7.

NC - Win 4 of 5. EWU, @NAU, PSU, @ND, Abilene Christian
NC has two road games and EWU still to play. It is going to be tough for them to get to 7

ND - Win 3 of 4. @UM, MSU, NC, @CP
ND too is going to have a tough time to get to 7.

MSU - Win 5 of 5. E. Tennessee St, @ND, SUU, @ISU, UM
With that defense, MSU will not likely make it to 7.

NAU - Win 5 of 5. WSU, NC, @EWU, Sac, @SUU
The two road games are going to be tough, but their home games are winnable.

CP - -Win 5 of 5. PSU, @SUU, Sac, @UCD, ND
Not looking good for CP.

ISU -Out. @Sac, UM, MSU, @WSU

UCD - Out. SUU, @WSU, CP, @Sac

Sac - Out. ISU, @CP, @NAU, UCD

dudeitsaid
October 20th, 2015, 10:06 PM
I have a hard time not having PSU #1 at this point, and has SUU beaten anyone not on the bottom half? I get that they are SOUNDLY crushing competition, but who have their W's been again?

Gotta agree with this. If it were EWU, UM, MSU, or Cal Poly with the same results, they would likely be unanimously #1 in the BSC, and a top 5 team nationally. I'd put PSU #1, EWU #2. EWU's is improving on D, but the offense seems to be losing a step. Some of that may be due to losing some offensive weapons in the receiving game, but our running game hasn't established itself consistently either.

Walkon79
October 23rd, 2015, 10:35 AM
I would have PSU ahead of SUU. Otherwise agree with the list.
Agreed!

Walkon79
October 23rd, 2015, 10:44 AM
and now for what each team needs to do earn the magical 7 Div 1 wins :

EWU - Win 3 of 5. @NC, WSU, NAU, @UM, PSU
I think EWU could win all 5 remaining games. PSU being the toughest one left.

SUU - Win 4 of 5. @UCD, CP, @MSU, @PSU, NAU
With 3 of the remaining games road games. SUU will have to play well on the road to get to 7.

PSU - Win 3 of 5. @CP, UM, @NC, SUU, @EWU
PSU will have to win 1 of its remaining road games and take care of business at home. PSU has a good chance to get to 7.

WSU - Win 3 of 4. @NAU, @EWU, UCD, ISU
If the BBQ can beat NAU on the road they have a good chance to get to 7.

UM - Win 4 of 5. ND, @PSU, @ISU, EWU, @MSU
UM has its hands full to get to 7.

NC - Win 4 of 5. EWU, @NAU, PSU, @ND, Abilene Christian
NC has two road games and EWU still to play. It is going to be tough for them to get to 7

ND - Win 3 of 4. @UM, MSU, NC, @CP
ND too is going to have a tough time to get to 7.

MSU - Win 5 of 5. E. Tennessee St, @ND, SUU, @ISU, UM
With that defense, MSU will not likely make it to 7.

NAU - Win 5 of 5. WSU, NC, @EWU, Sac, @SUU
The two road games are going to be tough, but their home games are winnable.

CP - -Win 5 of 5. PSU, @SUU, Sac, @UCD, ND
Not looking good for CP.

ISU -Out. @Sac, UM, MSU, @WSU

UCD - Out. SUU, @WSU, CP, @Sac

Sac - Out. ISU, @CP, @NAU, UCD

Actually if they can upset PSU at home?

tomq04
October 23rd, 2015, 05:07 PM
I feel like cal poly has at least a 50% chance of beating any team including PSU, they are tough, physical, and run a strong game plan. Let's see how PSU weathers the storm.

slostang
October 24th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I feel like cal poly has at least a 50% chance of beating any team including PSU, they are tough, physical, and run a strong game plan. Let's see how PSU weathers the storm.Cal Poly will be without 1 or 2 key offensive skilled players today. That % might have just dropped a little. I am hoping the next man up is good enough to help the Mustangs win this must win game, but this already big challenge just got bigger.

Red & Black
October 24th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Portland State
Southern Utah
EWU
Cal Poly
MSU
Weber State
Montana
NAU
UND
UNC
Idaho State
Davis
Sac

F'N Hawks
October 24th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Cal Poly will be without 1 or 2 key offensive skilled players today. That % might have just dropped a little. I am hoping the next man up is good enough to help the Mustangs win this must win game, but this already big challenge just got bigger.

Who is out for Poly?

JALMOND
October 24th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Who is out for Poly?

I heard Brown was "nicked up" but that he was still going to play.

slostang
October 25th, 2015, 01:22 AM
Who is out for Poly?
Chris Brown. Protheroe played, but left the game in the 3rd quarter. Cal Poly started a true freshman at QB tonight.

JALMOND
October 25th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Chris Brown. Protheroe played, but left the game in the 3rd quarter. Cal Poly started a true freshman at QB tonight.

That freshman is going to be a good one. Great poise right now and very sure of his abilities. He's very scary. xthumbsupx