PDA

View Full Version : #1 JMU vs. #14 Richmond

jmufan999
October 19th, 2015, 11:12 PM
i don't think there is a game thread yet unless i skimmed over it.

any thoughts on the game? would like to hear about the actual game here.

jmufan999
October 19th, 2015, 11:20 PM
someone (BigHouse?) asked about JMU's injuries from the last game. or maybe it was injuries in general.

there aren't many; we've been remarkably healthy all year. bumps, bruises, but nothing big.

the two that were injured against Elon were starting safety Marcell Johnson (sprained AC joint) and starting center Dominick Richards (hyperextended elbow). neither practiced Sunday, but Withers said the injuries are minor and expects both to play Saturday.

starting nose tackle Simeyon Robinson has been suspended for the past 5 games and is eligible to play as of Saturday. he was playing extremely well but we haven't missed a beat without him. not sure if he will be back or not, but he's at least eligible. if he does play, i would think it would be as part of a rotation, not as a starter.

jmufan999
October 20th, 2015, 01:46 PM
we're going to talk about this game, whether it's me talking to myself or not. I'm totally cool with that. you are? yep, I am.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 20th, 2015, 02:30 PM
I'll talk to you.

Seth Fisher is going to be a game time decision. He'd be a critical loss because of the way he runs - gives the run game some attitude.

In looking back at last year's game down here, we did a terrible job of taking care of the football and our secondary played a miserable game. Our secondary is much improved this year. If we can take care of the football, i think we have a decent shot to win. If we don't, we'll get our doors blown off like we did last year.

Sitting Bull
October 20th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Timing is great on this one.

My take is a little cautionary. JMU on paper looks like a juggernaut by looking at scores and stats - though when you look at the competition, I'm just not sure how high to mark this team. I think any outcome 20 points or more over UR would tell me that this JMU team could go through the entire schedule and playoffs without a dent.

On Richmond, kind of similar to above. The schedule has been filled so far with primarily sub-par teams. The Hampton game also still sticks in my mind.

On CAA wins by both teams so far, the victims have been: Elon, UAlbany, URI, Maine, Towson and Stony Brook. That's pretty much the bottom of the league.

I think Richmond will want to serve some payback from last year (I think they were shellshocked) but the energy and activity in Harrisonburg on Saturday will be electric. I think JMU wins by 10 and will have their toughest test other than SMU.

Milktruck74
October 20th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I have no dog in this, but I would love to see a strong performance by UR. This year the FCS has had a few opportunities to Showcase what we have to offer on a national stage, and those teams made it exciting. I think JMU is the real deal, and could walk this one to the bank....however, a close and exciting game is what we need.....SO, Go Spiders!!!!!

Tribal
October 20th, 2015, 04:03 PM
I think JMU will turn the ball over 3 times (2 picks and a fumble) but still win by 9+.

My take is UR will strike first (7-0), JMU will respond and be up 21-17 at the half. JMU explodes in the 3rd to go up 38-24, and UR puts up a fight late but falls 45-34.

Unfortunately for Dukes fans, Lee sustains a non-throwing shoulder injury and is out 3-4 weeks. Also, JMU's strong safety is suspended "indefinitely" just two days after the game for a team rule violation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I think JMU will turn the ball over 3 times (2 picks and a fumble) but still win by 9+.

My take is UR will strike first (7-0), JMU will respond and be up 21-17 at the half. JMU explodes in the 3rd to go up 38-24, and UR puts up a fight late but falls 45-34.

Unfortunately for Dukes fans, Lee sustains a non-throwing shoulder injury and is out 3-4 weeks. Also, JMU's strong safety is suspended "indefinitely" just two days after the game for a team rule violation.

This is really specific...like in a "Biff got ahold of the sports results and used a time machine" way...

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 20th, 2015, 04:52 PM
He forgot to mention the part where Mickey Mathews attends the game but gets in an accident with a manure truck on the way back to his farm after the game.

seattlespider
October 20th, 2015, 04:56 PM

What kind of odds could I get on a bet like this?

Tribal
October 20th, 2015, 05:03 PM
What kind of odds could I get on a bet like this?
You don't want to bet against me. Anyway, I'm not coming to Seattle to collect.

citdog
October 20th, 2015, 06:16 PM
You don't want to bet against me. Anyway, I'm not coming to Seattle to collect.

Perhaps someone can...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNC_zjTUulU

RootinFerDukes
October 21st, 2015, 02:17 PM
We will turn the ball over two or three times. UR has to burn us on each one and score.
UR will need long, time wasting scoring drives to limit our possessions. Your defensive line needs to make vad rush his passes and that's when you'll get interceptions as he forces tight throws.
Without turnovers and burning us on a few big yard trick plays, I'm not sure UR will be able to keep up offensively. You must score on nearly every drive to really put the heat on us.

Tribal
October 21st, 2015, 04:20 PM
We will turn the ball over two or three times. UR has to burn us on each one and score.
UR will need long, time wasting scoring drives to limit our possessions. Your defensive line needs to make vad rush his passes and that's when you'll get interceptions as he forces tight throws.
Without turnovers and burning us on a few big yard trick plays, I'm not sure UR will be able to keep up offensively. You must score on nearly every drive to really put the heat on us.
I hear ya, but let's not get carried away. Firstly, UR plays you guys tough every year. Secondly, the worst team in the CAA (using precisely the formula you mentioned) had you guys tied at 14 at the half. UR has a shot.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 21st, 2015, 04:54 PM
HA! Tribal - that's like saying UR almost lost to Hampton. We know better than that and so does the rest of the CAA.

Yes, UR has a chance. They are a young 5-1 team that has learned how to win. More than anything, this is a rivalry game, the players will be hyped, and when you come out super hyped, the wheels can fall off the bus in hurry. I trust Coach Withers will have the team focused, but there is no doubt that there are a lot of distractions with the media hype this week for the game. We'll get UR's best shot, I have no doubt. Then it's on up to the next level of defense at W&M.

jmu_duke07
October 21st, 2015, 05:44 PM
Perhaps someone can...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNC_zjTUulU

Ketch and Kritter are from Harrisonburg, VA... The duo started Old Crow Medicine Show!

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 21st, 2015, 05:44 PM
"Richmond plays JMU tough every year".

Everyone is aware that we lead the all time series, right?

jmu_duke07
October 21st, 2015, 05:45 PM
"Richmond plays JMU tough every year".

Everyone is aware that we lead the all time series, right?

That and a dollar gives you ONE DOLLAR!

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 21st, 2015, 05:58 PM
That and a dollar gives you ONE DOLLAR!

Yep! And 6 years of no playoff wins and a well placed JMU grad gets you Gameday! Yippee!

lydiabixby
October 21st, 2015, 06:53 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21518&stc=1

jmu007
October 21st, 2015, 06:53 PM
Yep! And 6 years of no playoff wins and a well placed JMU grad gets you Gameday! Yippee!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21519&stc=1

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 21st, 2015, 07:01 PM
How could I have forgotten the game where you were outbid by an OVC school? Pretty weak on my part.

wmmii
October 21st, 2015, 08:27 PM
JMU is the top FCS team in my poll. GameDay hype and along with their QB who is the real deal makes JMU the favorite unless turnovers tip the scale to the Spiders. My hope is JMU wins and comes to the 'burg with a #1 ranking so we can return the favor they did to us in 2010 when we were #1 and lost at JMU..........

Tribal
October 21st, 2015, 08:33 PM
HA! Tribal - that's like saying UR almost lost to Hampton. We know better than that and so does the rest of the CAA.

Yes, UR has a chance. They are a young 5-1 team that has learned how to win. More than anything, this is a rivalry game, the players will be hyped, and when you come out super hyped, the wheels can fall off the bus in hurry. I trust Coach Withers will have the team focused, but there is no doubt that there are a lot of distractions with the media hype this week for the game. We'll get UR's best shot, I have no doubt. Then it's on up to the next level of defense at W&M.
Hey, just pointing out that a really really bad UAlbany team took advantage of some turnovers and played you to a draw after 30 minutes. Play that poorly against UR and you may leave disappointed.

I'm looking forward to the game and stand by my earlier pick that JMU will win by 9+. Either way, I hope both teams have no life left for the remainder of the season.

Go Tribe!

RootinFerDukes
October 21st, 2015, 09:42 PM
I hear ya, but let's not get carried away. Firstly, UR plays you guys tough every year. Secondly, the worst team in the CAA (using precisely the formula you mentioned) had you guys tied at 14 at the half. UR has a shot.

2011 was a JMU blowout. 2012 UR just hangs on when our starting QB is thrown out of the game by Mickey. 2013 JMU win and we were mediocre, I believe it was convincing too. 2014 we embarrassed them in their own stadium. It hasn't been THAT close lately.

As for the Albany game, if you had watched it, you would've seen the god awful officiating that was single handedly keeping them in the game and giving them TDs. The turnovers hurt too, but we shored that up and blew them out in the second half once the officials stopped throwing flags.

RootinFerDukes
October 21st, 2015, 09:46 PM

You should probably Google stuff before posting so definitively.

RootinFerDukes
October 21st, 2015, 09:47 PM
JMU is the top FCS team in my poll. GameDay hype and along with their QB who is the real deal makes JMU the favorite unless turnovers tip the scale to the Spiders. My hope is JMU wins and comes to the 'burg with a #1 ranking so we can return the favor they did to us in 2010 when we were #1 and lost at JMU..........

And we didn't attempt a single pass in that game.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 21st, 2015, 09:51 PM
You should probably Google stuff before posting so definitively.

I'm so so sorry. 1 in 6 years is Flagship stuff.

Since I don't know how to find this Google thing, is it 3 playoff wins in 10 years? This is real dynastic stuff.

RootinFerDukes
October 21st, 2015, 10:13 PM
I'm so so sorry. 1 in 6 years is Flagship stuff.

Since I don't know how to find this Google thing, is it 3 playoff wins in 10 years? This is real dynastic stuff.

Drawing a crap opponent like Morgan state doesn't count as a playoff win.

bostonspider
October 22nd, 2015, 09:37 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13940696

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 22nd, 2015, 10:11 AM

Exactly, Todd. Exactly.

StrikeJMU
October 22nd, 2015, 11:38 AM

That didn't even sound like he believed what he was saying.

RootinFerDukes
October 22nd, 2015, 01:53 PM
Yeah it was very tongue in cheek from him. They were even laughing at him.

jmu_duke07
October 22nd, 2015, 07:23 PM
https://vine.co/v/eVi3tXXbzeQ

lknspider
October 22nd, 2015, 09:50 PM
2011 was a JMU blowout. 2012 UR just hangs on when our starting QB is thrown out of the game by Mickey. 2013 JMU win and we were mediocre, I believe it was convincing too. 2014 we embarrassed them in their own stadium. It hasn't been THAT close lately.

As for the Albany game, if you had watched it, you would've seen the god awful officiating that was single handedly keeping them in the game and giving them TDs. The turnovers hurt too, but we shored that up and blew them out in the second half once the officials stopped throwing flags.

"2013 JMU win and we were mediocre, I believe it was convincing too."

Your memory is short......2013. Jmu wins by 7 at Jmu. Spiders still lead series 17 to 15. No question jmu is the fav this year. A few turnovers and as the odds makers know, strange things can. Both teams have played a weak and favorable schedule. Both teams have improved. The aroma of an upset begins with the fans and this one is smelling pretty strong!! Go Spiders!!

Longhorn
October 23rd, 2015, 01:27 AM
Both teams have played a weak and favorable schedule. Both teams have improved. The aroma of an upset begins with the fans and this one is smelling pretty strong!!

i'd get your "smeller" checked. This one has blowout written all over it.

paward
October 23rd, 2015, 07:07 AM
According to this thread we may as well stay home. Hmmmmm..........gut check, see you boys tomorrow!

RootinFerDukes
October 23rd, 2015, 07:19 AM
"2013 JMU win and we were mediocre, I believe it was convincing too."

Your memory is short......2013. Jmu wins by 7 at Jmu. Spiders still lead series 17 to 15. No question jmu is the fav this year. A few turnovers and as the odds makers know, strange things can. Both teams have played a weak and favorable schedule. Both teams have improved. The aroma of an upset begins with the fans and this one is smelling pretty strong!! Go Spiders!!
http://espn.go.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=332850256

LOL way to fail to mention that the dukes lead by 22 with 10 minutes remaining and the final 15 points scored by UR were trash time points against a defense that had fallen asleep. The win was definitely convincing and the box score supports that.

jmufan999
October 23rd, 2015, 09:57 AM
According to this thread we may as well stay home. Hmmmmm..........gut check, see you boys tomorrow!

cliché alert!!! cliché alert!!!

MacThor
October 23rd, 2015, 03:12 PM
We need turnovers and long (time) drives. As in "don't snap the ball with more than 3 seconds on the play clock."

I have little doubt we will significantly lose the yardage game. Our defense plays soft but is opportunistic.

jmufan999
October 24th, 2015, 08:38 PM
congrats to Richmond, you were without question the better team today. what an o-line. i thought our o-line was nearly unstoppable, but yours truly was today. very impressive performance.

paward
October 24th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Can we get credit today for winning an FBS game?

spdram
October 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Thanks 999, hope all the injured players will return quickly. I always felt we had a chance, but felt Dukes were favored. The CAA needs 3/4 teams to separate themselves to get better seedings. Good luck the remainder of the season unless we meet again.

SpiderSafety75
October 25th, 2015, 01:01 AM
You must score on nearly every drive to really put the heat on us.

Consider it done.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 25th, 2015, 06:00 AM
Has there been any news on the status of the Madison kick returner? That looked scary.

jmu007
October 25th, 2015, 06:44 AM
At.UVA overnight but had movement in arms and legs, so looking better.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 25th, 2015, 06:46 AM
^^Thanks. Very good.

Stonewall D
October 25th, 2015, 06:49 AM
What about Vad Lee?

jmu007
October 25th, 2015, 08:23 AM
What about Vad Lee?

No update on that one yet. Media out of H'burg was saying foot vs ankle or leg so not sure what to make of that. Hopefully nothing serious, but the backup QB did a good job coming in late. Defense will be the question, lost #23 Tutt to a broken leg so that is another blow to an already very young and inexperienced secondary. (as seen last night haha.. =/)

Tribal
October 25th, 2015, 08:54 AM
UR did what they had to do...great win for them.

I hope for no serious injuries to JMU or UR players. My professional recommendation is to rest Lee for 8 days and reevaluate him at that time.

jmu007
October 25th, 2015, 08:56 AM
UR did what they had to do...great win for them.

I hope for no serious injuries to JMU or UR players. My professional recommendation is to rest Lee for 8 days and reevaluate him at that time.

Hey, if that puts him at 100% after the bye week for games vs the Blue Chickens and Wildcats I'll take it. =P

MacThor
October 25th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Richmond overcame some plays that made me think "you can't do that and expect to beat a team like JMU."

The 2nd UR drive, 1st half - two consecutive drops on would-be first downs, then a missed FG.
The 1st JMU drive, 2nd half - the late hit on what would have been 4th down, followed by the JMU TD to make it 35-28. Yeesh.

SpiderJPO
October 25th, 2015, 06:39 PM
All I can say is we will go about our business each week and keep getting better and slowly nationwide people will realize this team is the real deal. Physical domination of AGS #1 on their turf on homecoming is a good start for some recognition.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Wow talk about going from the pinnacle to the ****ter in 7 hours?

Host Gameday & do an awesome job of it - to get beat by Richmond, have your defense shredded & lose Vad Lee for the year with a broken ankle/foot.

Good night JMU.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 26th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Losing was one thing, but it's the injuries that really have us feeling like crap. Maybe we can beat Villanova? W&M should be favored and UD is coming to life in the second half of the schedule. Sigh.

veinup
October 26th, 2015, 09:51 AM
VAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Eight Legger
October 26th, 2015, 02:27 PM
i'd get your "smeller" checked. This one has blowout written all over it.

This post stinks.