PDA

View Full Version : VILLANOVA @ TOWSON 10/24 GAME CHAT

Gangtackle11
October 18th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Villanova Wildcats (3-3 Overall; 2-1 CAA)
Head Coach: Andy Talley (36th year as Head Coach; 31st year @ Villanova)
Overall Record: 246-149-2 (Villanova 218-131-1)
2009 National Champions

Towson Tigers (3-3 Overall; 1-2 CAA)
Head Coach: Rob Ambrose (8th year as Head Coach; 7th year @ Towson)
Overall Record: 42-47 (Towson 39-40)

Overall Series:
Villanova leads 7-4

1st game:
Villanova won 41-8 (2004)

Last game:
Villanova won 42-14 (2014)

Video of 2014 game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdjZf5Eivvc

CHIP72
October 18th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I'll likely be at this game, especially if the 10/31 Notre Dame/Temple game has a mid-afternoon or evening start time. (If Notre Dame/Temple has 12 PM ET start time, I'll also attend the 10/31 Maine/Villanova game and will attend Penn State/Maryland game rather than the Villanova/Towson game on 10/24 instead.)

jmufan999
October 18th, 2015, 01:04 PM
think Nova has their groove back, i like them to win this game. Towson is much better at home, but i'm going on the assumption that the Tigers are still banged up. obviously Nova's missing JR, but i like them to win by 3-7 points. 28-25, maybe?

Gangtackle11
October 18th, 2015, 03:37 PM
think Nova has their groove back, i like them to win this game. Towson is much better at home, but i'm going on the assumption that the Tigers are still banged up. obviously Nova's missing JR, but i like them to win by 3-7 points. 28-25, maybe?

I hear ya. Nova 24-21.

CHIP72
October 18th, 2015, 03:55 PM
I think Villanova wins by about 10 points, but we'll see what happens.

Tribal
October 18th, 2015, 04:34 PM
I'll take Towson by 3+.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

smilo
October 18th, 2015, 05:13 PM
I'm very worried about this. Albany was atrocious, and Nova's offense is not actually back. Towson put up 21 on an even better SBU defense. Should be a playoff-type game. Winner might have a chance at 7 wins if they can both get past Maine.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Villanova is slowly crawling back into the picture imo. If they can win the next 3 (@ Towson, @ URI, Maine) and split with UR and @ JMU I think they get in at 7-4.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2015, 05:20 PM
I'm very worried about this. Albany was atrocious, and Nova's offense is not actually back. Towson put up 21 on an even better SBU defense. Should be a playoff-type game. Winner might have a chance at 7 wins if they can both get past Maine.

Good point with Towson. If they can beat Villanova Maine seems like the biggest obstacle in the way of 7-4. At W&M would be a house money type game. Win and you're a lock, lose and no one will hold it against you....

CHIP72
October 18th, 2015, 06:08 PM
I think some of you are underestimating how poor the CAA is this year. IMO, Villanova needs to run the table to make the playoffs, and I'm guessing Towson is in a similar spot.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I think some of you are underestimating how poor the CAA is this year. IMO, Villanova needs to run the table to make the playoffs, and I'm guessing Towson is in a similar spot.

None of the leagues are really killing it. The SoCon is still struggling, OVC will be two bids, BSC solid but not spectacular and the MVFC, while still the best league, is not at previous years level. I still think the CAA is a near lock to get 4 teams in.

The PL could be a bid stealer, Lehigh or Colgate, if Fordham fails to secure the auto-bid. A 9-2 Ram team with SOME pedigree would be tough to keep out given what should be a ho-hum at large pool imo.

Villanova will get a "mulligan" for the Penn game so long as they show improvement without Robertson.

Tiger93
October 19th, 2015, 09:16 AM
If Villanova's offense is clicking and can put up any more than 24 points they have a good chance to win this game. Our defense has been good at times, but it is still inconsistent. As far as the offense, we pretty much need to run the ball to set up anything. We did not move that ball much against Stony Brook, but we got one big defensive play for a touchdown and made some key offensive plays at the right time. Should be an interesting game this weekend. We have some good receivers and obviously Victor is great, but Connor Frazier is still very inconsistent. When he plays well and our offense is balanced we can look really good, but that has not happened much this season (surprisingly it probably happened against East Carolina as much as any other game).

CHIP72
October 19th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Tiger93 - East Carolina's defense is kind of suspect. (Believe me, that is something I'm examining, and possibly LehighTUOwl is also examining, right now because Temple plays in a big game against ECU on Thursday night, a game LehighTUOwl will be attending.)

smilo
October 19th, 2015, 11:57 AM
None of the leagues are really killing it. The SoCon is still struggling, OVC will be two bids, BSC solid but not spectacular and the MVFC, while still the best league, is not at previous years level. I still think the CAA is a near lock to get 4 teams in.

The PL could be a bid stealer, Lehigh or Colgate, if Fordham fails to secure the auto-bid. A 9-2 Ram team with SOME pedigree would be tough to keep out given what should be a ho-hum at large pool imo.

Villanova will get a "mulligan" for the Penn game so long as they show improvement without Robertson.

Complete agreement - I have The Citadel as the #2 SoCon team at the moment, but if Furman beats both them and WCU, I don't know if anyone else can get to 7. Liberty killed their own chances. The Big Sky...jeez. nothing I can even say there. I guess SUU could get 'em 4, but I'm not counting on Weber and UND or CP/Montana/NAU running the table. That's the mystery conference tbh. And with the 11-game schedule, I'm not sure YSU, UNI, and Indiana State can compete with the top 4 enough to get to 7. A shame because they are all certainly better than these teams.

Tiger93
October 19th, 2015, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=CHIP72;2269028]Tiger93 - East Carolina's defense is kind of suspect. (Believe me, that is something I'm examining, and possibly LehighTUOwl is also examining, right now because Temple plays in a big game against ECU on Thursday night, a game LehighTUOwl will be attending.)[/QUO

I am definitely aware that they have a suspect defense. It just seemed odd to me that out of our otherwise suspect non-conference schedule, stretches of the East Carolina game were when our offense was moving the ball the best. I certainly was not trying to brag about it. Darius Victor would probably be the only part of the Towson offense that is above average and worth bragging about.

Gangtackle11
October 22nd, 2015, 10:50 PM
Game Notes:

Villanova: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/release/release_20151022aaa.pdf

Towson: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/release/release_20151022aaa_tows.pdf

Nova09
October 25th, 2015, 11:21 AM
And so ends the hopes of Villanova holding the ship together for a few weeks, pulling an upset on a Virginia school, and drawing winnable opponents for a couple rounds. Obviously no one is going to replace a Robertson seamlessly, but really hurts how many games have changed on turnovers, something JR expertly avoided.

Oh well, at least we solved even the slightest thoughts of a QB "controversy" as da Silva will clearly be QB1 from spring ball on.

Gangtackle11
October 26th, 2015, 07:21 AM
And so ends the hopes of Villanova holding the ship together for a few weeks, pulling an upset on a Virginia school, and drawing winnable opponents for a couple rounds. Obviously no one is going to replace a Robertson seamlessly, but really hurts how many games have changed on turnovers, something JR expertly avoided.

Oh well, at least we solved even the slightest thoughts of a QB "controversy" as da Silva will clearly be QB1 from spring ball on.

I respectfully disagree that Da Silva will clearly be #1. Bednarczyk is a red shirt freshman thrown into a crazy season and trying to replace the reigning Walter Payton award winner.

This has been trial under fire for sure & he is dealing with lots of offensive issues like a average offensive line & receivers that are nothing special sans Gulyas.

Here is Talley's quote after Towson game: "He came in with five minutes left in the game against Delaware and won a game for us. He did a great job and we are very optimistic. We needed to get him reps. He can run and throw. I jumped on him in the fourth quarter because he seemed timid running the ball and he has to be a running back in our offense; he has to want to run the football. He is getting a lot of seasoning right now and he is going to be one of the better quarterbacks in this league. He has played with a bad shoulder and he knows how to play with pain. I think he is going to be really good. We are happy with him."

I hope Da Silva gives him a run for his money as it will make the team better in the long run. The 2016 QB commit is a Robertson clone. He'll be in the mix soon enough.