PDA

View Full Version : Southland Pick'em Week 8

BEAR
October 18th, 2015, 12:06 AM
This is an elimination week. The bottom player/players will be eliminated next week. There are 4 weeks left.

Current standings as of 10-17-15: Week 8

UCABEAR-13
SAMMY94- 8
CATATONIC- 6
REVSFA- 6
EIU1999- 5
MCNEESE75- 5
DAYTRIPPER- 3

The player tripping all over himself to make the wrong picks, DAYTRIPPER, has been eliminated.

Games this week: Let’s try to keep our prediction posts on page 1 of this thread. Smack talk afterwards. Thanks!

ACU at UIW
UCA at Lamar
Nicholls at SHSU
SLU at HBU
NWST at McNeese

ALL picks must be in by midnight Friday October 23rd. Any questions feel free to PM me. If you would like to donate an SLC memorabilia to the prize stash feel free to PM me. So far no one has so the prize this year may be much smaller than in years past.

Don't forget to pick the WINNER AND THE POINT SPREAD. Example: SAM by 45 or SAM +45. Any questions about previous weeks winners picks please PM me. Remember, I'm the only smuck working this contest...it's not easy.

BEAR
October 18th, 2015, 02:34 PM
ACU at UIW +18
UCA at Lamar +4
Nicholls at SHSU +42
SLU at HBU +36
NWST at McNeese +25

TheRevSFA
October 18th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I think Bear is fudging the scores a bit. Dude I can send you back the UCA jersey if you want it that bad :)

TheRevSFA
October 18th, 2015, 05:02 PM
ACU at UIW ACU by 14
UCA at Lamar Lamar by 9
Nicholls at SHSU Sam by 59
SLU at HBU SLU by 35
NWST at McNeese mcneese by 17

Sammy94
October 19th, 2015, 08:04 AM
ACU +17
Lamar +7
SHSU +27
SLU +27
McNeese +20

eiu1999
October 19th, 2015, 08:58 AM
ACU at UIW +7
UCA at Lamar +3
Nicholls at SHSU +14
SLU at HBU +21
NWST at McNeese +17

McNeese75
October 19th, 2015, 09:44 AM
ACU at UIW - 10
UCA at Lamar -3
Nicholls at SHSU - 31
SLU at HBU - 35
NWST at McNeese - 24

Catatonic
October 19th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Still puzzlin' over my picks

ACU at UIW +3
UCA at Lamar +1
Nicholls at SHSU +37
SLU at HBU +34
NWST at McNeese +23

BEAR
October 19th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone!

UCA vs. McNeese- Rush attempts: 35 Yards gained rushing: 45

http://static.squarespace.com/static/512d6844e4b0ad29483e7941/t/51479075e4b0d224b440756a/1363644534357/FootballGirl-Commissioner_Goodell_2009_NFL_Draft.jpg

McNeese72
October 19th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks everyone!

http://static.squarespace.com/static/512d6844e4b0ad29483e7941/t/51479075e4b0d224b440756a/1363644534357/FootballGirl-Commissioner_Goodell_2009_NFL_Draft.jpg

When you factor in the yards lost in the two shotgun snap fiasco's and the one sack, ours "ain't" much better. If we don't get a consistent offense we are going to get our asses handed to us sooner or later.

Doc

BEAR
October 19th, 2015, 11:32 AM
When you factor in the yards lost in the two shotgun snap fiasco's and the one sack, ours "ain't" much better. If we don't get a consistent offense we are going to get our asses handed to us sooner or later. Doc

That was a game of nothing but defense..both sides wore each other out by the third quarter and it was a matter of who didn't make mistakes. UCA had held the Cowboys to 47 yards of offense but McNeese had a punter that backed up the Bears CONSTANTLY. That miscue by the center and scoop and score just changed the game completely. Loved that game! My wife said its funny that a game that is 3-0 at nearly halftime you would think is boring but this one is really really good. xlolx Play ten times and I forsee a 5 and 5 record for both teams! xlolx

UCA's M*A*S*H unit now taking in:
1. Starting QB
2. Back up QB
3. Starting Returner/WR
4. Starting RB
....nevermind, the list is too long...xbawlingx

Didn't I tell you we'd pass that ball to the sidelines over and over? xmadx

BEAR
October 20th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Smack....

BEAR
October 21st, 2015, 11:50 AM
When you factor in the yards lost in the two shotgun snap fiasco's and the one sack, ours "ain't" much better. If we don't get a consistent offense we are going to get our asses handed to us sooner or later. Doc

IF Sammy keeps playing with that offense and they can avoid costly turnovers (sigh) then they might be the team to upset the Boys..

Sammy94
October 21st, 2015, 11:59 AM
IF Sammy keeps playing with that offense and they can avoid costly turnovers (sigh) then they might be the team to upset the Boys..

Always hard to win in The Hole but I am not impressed with the Cowboys offense so far. Now that defense...... If we can some how score a few times early like we have done the past few weeks and make them play catch up, Sammy may have a chance. It should be a good one.

BEAR
October 21st, 2015, 12:09 PM
Always hard to win in The Hole but I am not impressed with the Cowboys offense so far. Now that defense...... If we can some how score a few times early like we have done the past few weeks and make them play catch up, Sammy may have a chance. It should be a good one.

That's exactly what I was thinking. How McNeese does against you is how we most likely will do against you. We held their offense to just 47 yards in the first half. It was that 4th quarter that killed us. I mean they still didn't get much on us because they only got 120 yards in the second half..just costly turnovers was our downfall. Sams makes a good running back for them. His short passes were low, his mid range passes were to the side and his long passes were short. We just couldn't move the ball on the ground on them at all. Now if our starting QB Reed and our backup Hildebrand were both healthy I could have seen us scoring on pass plays in the first half..but neither was healthy enough to be out there..Hildebrand struggled and our 3rd string QB pretty much was just running clock. xlolx

Good news for Bearkats fans is both should be healthy in time for our last game of the season against Sammy. xthumbsupx If you beat McNeese and somehow we win out until your game expect an all out battle!

Daytripper
October 21st, 2015, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=UCABEAR;2268530]This is an elimination week. The bottom player/players will be eliminated next week. There are 4 weeks left.

Current standings as of 10-17-15: Week 8

UCABEAR-13
SAMMY94- 8
CATATONIC- 6
REVSFA- 6
EIU1999- 5
MCNEESE75- 5
DAYTRIPPER- 3

The player tripping all over himself to make the wrong picks, DAYTRIPPER, has been eliminated.

https://media.giphy.com/media/WZyhp7krw7W4U/giphy.gif

BEAR
October 21st, 2015, 12:48 PM
I like the variety in the contestants left..UCA, McNeese, Sammy, ACU, SFA, EIU reps...xthumbsupx

Plus this is like the third year I've been in this contest and actually made it past the second week or so. xlolx

Some of my picks have been dead on.... time to buy that lotto ticket!

McNeese75
October 21st, 2015, 02:42 PM

It should be a great game (but both teams have a couple of games that cannot be overlooked before that one). If your QB's passing game is on like it was last year then it will be a real challenge for the Poke D. BUT this D is just a tad bit better than last year. If McNeese can establish the running game, then I like our chances.

BEAR
October 21st, 2015, 03:02 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/2539379.jpg

Nickels
October 21st, 2015, 05:06 PM
It should be a great game (but both teams have a couple of games that cannot be overlooked before that one). If your QB's passing game is on like it was last year then it will be a real challenge for the Poke D.
JJ is much better throwing the ball this year, particularly over the last month. He's playing very efficient right now. Our challenge will be stopping the Pokes. Collins is technically still our DC.

We have a better than average Nicholls team coming to town followed by a ranked D2 team. McNeese's schedule is even tougher. Still a lot of football between now and then.

Nickels
October 21st, 2015, 05:08 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/2539379.jpg
Most of us are too humbled to talk smack at this point. Playoff pictures are coming together but no team has truly separated itself yet.

McNeese72
October 21st, 2015, 05:40 PM
Most of us are too humbled to talk smack at this point. Playoff pictures are coming together but no team has truly separated itself yet.

Wait!! Is this a first?? Nickels humble?? :-)

FormerPokeCenter
October 21st, 2015, 07:37 PM
Holy ****! Apparently 28 Days of Detox does wonders!!!

McNeese75
October 21st, 2015, 08:13 PM

xlolx Pretty much my thoughts as well. Nobody wants to be munching on crow Nov 7th.

katstrapper
October 22nd, 2015, 08:06 AM
JJ is much better throwing the ball this year, particularly over the last month. He's playing very efficient right now. Our challenge will be stopping the Pokes. Collins is technically still our DC.

We have a better than average Nicholls team coming to town followed by a ranked D2 team. McNeese's schedule is even tougher. Still a lot of football between now and then.

JJ is completing 67% of his passes this season and he has only thrown 1 INT so far. If JJ passing starts to falter, KCK will bring Briscoe off the bench to sling it around and he is more than capable. His downfall is that he is more of a pocket passer and isn't a runner like JJ.

In the last 4 games, the Kat D has really stepped up its game only allowing 17.5 ppg on avg and giving up 312 ypg total offense. That is a far cry from early on when defense was giving up 40+ ppg and over 400ypg.

If defense keeps up their play the rest of the season, SLC will be theirs for the taking.

FormerPokeCenter
October 22nd, 2015, 08:24 AM
There you have it....just mail the conference trophy to Huntsvegas!

centexguy
October 22nd, 2015, 10:38 AM
JJ is completing 67% of his passes this season and he has only thrown 1 INT so far. If JJ passing starts to falter, KCK will bring Briscoe off the bench to sling it around and he is more than capable. His downfall is that he is more of a pocket passer and isn't a runner like JJ.

In the last 4 games, the Kat D has really stepped up its game only allowing 17.5 ppg on avg and giving up 312 ypg total offense. That is a far cry from early on when defense was giving up 40+ ppg and over 400ypg.

If defense keeps up their play the rest of the season, SLC will be theirs for the taking.

You do realize that in the last 4 games their opponents average about 24 ppg and 350 ypg compared to their first 2 games where the opponents average about 45 ppg and 544 ypg. The defense has improved a little but the quality of opponent is the main difference.

Sammy94
October 22nd, 2015, 11:50 AM
The defense has improved a little but the quality of opponent is the main difference.

What's is Lamar's excuse? Quality of the opponent gets worse and well back to being Lamar. :D

centexguy
October 22nd, 2015, 01:39 PM
What's is Lamar's excuse? Quality of the opponent gets worse and well back to being Lamar. :D

Fourth road game in five games, plus the secondary likes to give up big plays. Lamar was about to pull within 6 points early in the 4th quarter when Harrington fumbled on the 5 yard line and NWST ran it back for a touchdown. The game was over at that point.

During the same stretch SHSU has played 3 home games, 1 neutral game and finally a road game last week. As far as quality of opponent getting worse, well we did play Baylor before going 2-2 in conference against 3 SLC teams picked to be among the best in the conference (and 3 of those games were on the road).

Nickels
October 22nd, 2015, 03:37 PM
before going 2-2 in conference against 3 SLC teams picked to be among the best in the conference
Stop trying to bull**** us by implying NWSU is worth a damn. Why is ACU "among the best" when Lamar plays them but not when Sam does?

centexguy
October 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
Stop trying to bull**** us by implying NWSU is worth a damn. Why is ACU "among the best" when Lamar plays them but not when Sam does?

I was referring to SHSU, SLU, and NWST as the teams "among the best" when the season started, not UCA, but I will grant you that NWST was only picked to finish in the middle of the pack.

Catatonic
October 23rd, 2015, 06:42 AM

ACU sucked when Lamar played them and sucked again vs Sam Houston. The Wildcats were competitive last year and picked by most to improve this year, some prognosticators referring to us as a "break out" candidate. Turns out we have taken steps backward, not forward. We are a team in disarray. Beating us soundly should be a given for any contender.

#WaitTillNextYear!

BEAR
October 23rd, 2015, 07:53 AM
We need to look at how each of us looked at our teams to start the year. I thought our offense that had averaged 40 points a game would do the same but our opponents defense got better. Our defense was dead last place last year now can hang with an undefeated McNeese..... a place I had NO idea they would be even close to. We were picked 5th in conference to start the year but obviously we are better than that and if I recall correct we finished 3rd last year. ACU I thought would contend with their great coach but surprisingly they are struggling. I have wondered how long the Cowboys would be held down. Now we know. xdrunkyx

katstrapper
October 23rd, 2015, 11:09 AM
Fourth road game in five games, plus the secondary likes to give up big plays. Lamar was about to pull within 6 points early in the 4th quarter when Harrington fumbled on the 5 yard line and NWST ran it back for a touchdown. The game was over at that point.

During the same stretch SHSU has played 3 home games, 1 neutral game and finally a road game last week. As far as quality of opponent getting worse, well we did play Baylor before going 2-2 in conference against 3 SLC teams picked to be among the best in the conference (and 3 of those games were on the road).

blah, blah, blah... And Sam Houston was within three AND recovered the last onside kick of the game, but it didn't go 10 yards..

The schedule is what it is. Yes SHSU has had more home games so far, but that changes in the second half of season. Any team in the conference can sneak up on anyone at anytime. Case and point, winless NW St beating Lamar and I wouldn't be surprised to see UCA roll into Beaumont and take care of business.

Nickels
October 23rd, 2015, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see UCA roll into Beaumont and take care of business.
I would be more surprised if they didn't.

BEAR
October 23rd, 2015, 12:32 PM
Weather will play a role in the games this weekend. Reminds me of the flood bowl at SFA a few years back. No field goals! xlolx

crossfire07
October 23rd, 2015, 03:55 PM
UCA is not scared to load the box up and beg you to run it. Witnessed that last weekend. I think its gonna be a long rainy night for Lamar.

centexguy
October 23rd, 2015, 05:11 PM
UCA is not scared to load the box up and beg you to run it. Witnessed that last weekend. I think its gonna be a long rainy night for Lamar.

With Earp out and Minden in at QB (and still hurting), the offense has become more one dimensional. But it's the LU defense (especially the secondary) that's the main problem. With a lot of rain predicted thru the weekend then it's probably going to be an ugly game, no matter what.

SFA 93
October 24th, 2015, 07:22 AM
I'll root for Minden!
http://thumb.usatodaysportsimages.com/image/thumb/650-510nw/8058404.jpg

BEAR
October 24th, 2015, 10:01 AM
If anyone who has a team within reach of a conference championship isn't rooting against the leading team(s) then why bother being a fan?! xlolx

BEAR
October 24th, 2015, 10:28 AM
UIW at ACU is postponed until Sunday at 2 p.m.

McNeese72
October 24th, 2015, 12:54 PM
If anyone who has a team within reach of a conference championship isn't rooting against the leading team(s) then why bother being a fan?! xlolx

I don't think I will root against the leading team right now. :-)

SFA 93
October 24th, 2015, 01:05 PM
TKL:4;TFL:4.0;SCK:3.0 against SLU

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSF_ckDUwAACBWA.jpg:large

FormerPokeCenter
October 24th, 2015, 04:39 PM
I don't thing I will root against the leading team right now. :-)

Me either!

BEAR
October 24th, 2015, 05:13 PM
SLU wins by 15.

SLU 22
HBU 7

Point goes to eiu1999.

Huge surprise on that score! xnodx

katstrapper
October 24th, 2015, 07:25 PM
SLU wins by 15.

SLU 22
HBU 7

Point goes to eiu1999.

Huge surprise on that score! xnodx

heavy rain all day in Houston. Im surprised that many points was scored.

crossfire07
October 24th, 2015, 07:31 PM
How many hundreds of yards does Harrington have at halftime?

katstrapper
October 24th, 2015, 07:34 PM
30-0 SHSU... Half

21-3 UCA.... Half

14-10 McNeese... Half

- - - Updated - - -

How many hundreds of yards does Harrington have at halftime?

103yds at half

BEAR
October 24th, 2015, 09:51 PM
UCA Runningback Blake Veasley

292 yards
49 carries
4 TDs

Harrington has another freaking motor too but was held to 2 or 3 big plays.

crossfire07
October 24th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Congrats on the win. Y'all pretty much wiped out their playoff chances.

BEAR
October 25th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Thanks everyone!

Looks like one of our RBs listened. xlolx