PDA

View Full Version : Western Illinois @ UNI

UNIFanSince1983
October 16th, 2015, 08:19 AM
So discuss I guess.

It is homecoming in the Dome. UNI is coming off a very disappointing loss in Fargo.

It is finally the second home game of the year for UNI.

I am not sure of Kollmorgen's status for the game either. Someone may have more information that I do though.

clenz
October 16th, 2015, 08:56 AM
UNI shuts Watson down on the ground.
Hall/Dorleant cover Lenoir Jr. like a wet t-shirt on a girl in Palm Springs during Spring break
UNI's DL puts Norvell on his back a couple times early

UNI wins by 17

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2015, 09:11 AM
WIU 1899
UNI 1876

Enough said???

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 16th, 2015, 09:25 AM
WIU is trending up but I think the Panthers roll them up tomorrow.

Only 2nd home
Coming off 5 game meat grinder
Homecoming

Panthers: 34-13

UNIFanSince1983
October 16th, 2015, 09:29 AM
WIU 1899
UNI 1876

Enough said???

Means it is closer than the experts think. (Lee Corso voice)

UNI by about 10

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Very much looking forward to seeing this game.

Bisonator
October 16th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I think UNI wins but might be closer then most think. I think Coach Nielson is doing a good job there.

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I think UNI wins but might be closer then most think. I think Coach Nielson is doing a good job there.
I agree but I think it will be closer as well than many think.

centennial
October 16th, 2015, 10:28 AM
WIU isn't a pushover. If UNI has a down week after the emotional NDSU game, they will lose. Otherwise UNI by 7.

BisonTru
October 16th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Hangover... I'm taking Western.

Daved
October 16th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Hangover... I'm taking Western.Same here.UNI never seems like the same team once they play NDSU.

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2015, 12:51 PM
WIU is 2-8 against UNI in their last 10 tries and if I remember correctly both of those wins came towards the end of disappointing UNI seasons.

clenz
October 16th, 2015, 12:55 PM
WIU is 2-8 against UNI in their last 10 tries and if I remember correctly both of those wins came towards the end of disappointing UNI seasons.
2010 - UNI had already clinched the conference title, Rennie played at about 50% for a quarter then a QB who had already told the coaches he was quitting played....but that was a BAD season all around in the conference.

2006 - a complete disaster of a season

ST_Lawson
October 16th, 2015, 02:01 PM

Yea, we did ok in the late '90s and early '00s, but we had a really good team then and even so, we only won about half of those games against UNI. We always have a tough time with UNI (13-30 overall record, going back to '67), although one thing we do seem to do fairly well is play on the road. The last three years, we've won more conference games on the road than conference games at home , although really, that's not a lot of wins no matter where you're at.

I kinda feel like this year's game at UNI is shaping up like last year's game at YSU. It was the third conference game of the season, playing at (then #12 AGS poll-ranked) Youngstown State but we came away with a close 6-point victory. We had pretty much everything going right for us, and were able to come away with a victory. That's likely what it would take for us to win at UNI. All 3 aspects playing very well the whole game, a lucky break or two. UNI is obviously favored by a good number of points (most I've seen have them up by somewhere around 9-12 points), but it is definitely a game we could win (there's very few "sure things" in the MFVC).

My heart says we go in there, play our best game so far this season, and come away with a 3-pt victory. My head, however, says UNI by 10, and I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

EDIT - one additional comment/prediction...I've seen a lot of UNI people say they'll completely shut down Nikko Watson. I don't think that'll happen, but I can entirely see them defending our receivers very well and turning it into a one-dimensional offense, where the only thing that can move the ball is Nikko. I think he'll still end up with another 100 yard rushing game, but if the UNI defense does well, that might be about the only offense we have (and if that happens it wouldn't be enough to win).

UNIFanSince1983
October 16th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Despite what Clenz and Rob are saying I am scared about this WIU team. It isn't a WIU team of old. They will be dangerous and we are coming off a huge let down in Fargo. Spells lots of trouble.

If they do win we will be 0-3 and WIU will be 3-0 who could have guess that?

clenz
October 16th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Sounds as though Sawyer will get the start....

Then Farley will force Bailey into the QB role after the first seriesxcoffeex

JayJ79
October 16th, 2015, 05:00 PM
WIU isn't a pushover. If UNI has a down week after the emotional NDSU game, they will lose.

I sure as hell hope UNI learned that lesson after 2013. that season sucked ass.

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Despite what Clenz and Rob are saying I am scared about this WIU team. It isn't a WIU team of old. They will be dangerous and we are coming off a huge let down in Fargo. Spells lots of trouble.

If they do win we will be 0-3 and WIU will be 3-0 who could have guess that?

I totally wouldn't be surprised if we lost. Just sharing info.

jacksfan29
October 16th, 2015, 05:43 PM
If you watch clips of UNI v NDSU games both sides just pound on each other. It is an incredibly physical game when the two match up. Getting WIU the following week is a tough draw for UNI. NDSU gets USD, a much easier and less physical game.

Same here.UNI never seems like the same team once they play NDSU.

Bisonwinagn
October 17th, 2015, 12:46 AM
I agree but I think it will be closer as well than many think.

I think most people think it will be close so it will not be closer than most people think, but it could be farther apart.

IBleedYellow
October 17th, 2015, 04:02 AM
If you watch clips of UNI v NDSU games both sides just pound on each other. It is an incredibly physical game when the two match up. Getting WIU the following week is a tough draw for UNI. NDSU gets USD, a much easier and less physical game.

You don't realize how physical that game is until you rewatch it. No wonder people were dropping like flies in the game, on both sides of the field.

My money is on UNI by 3-10 depending upon which QB starts.

BisonTru
October 17th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Looks like Kollmorgan gets the start

BisonTru
October 17th, 2015, 04:26 PM
WIU strikes first 7-0

ST_Lawson
October 17th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Pick-6 with UNI in the red zone.

BisonTru
October 17th, 2015, 04:40 PM
WIU 14 UNI 0

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Looks like an awesome game so far.....

centennial
October 17th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Both NDSU and UNI are having bad games after the last week fight. Except we are playing USD. UNI is actually playing a decent team.

BisonTru
October 17th, 2015, 05:19 PM
WIU now up 21 - 3

ST_Lawson
October 17th, 2015, 05:43 PM
21-6 at halftime

centennial
October 17th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Well congrats UNI, NDSU lost to USD. I am not expecting anything from UNI either. Let us both suck.

RabidRabbit
October 17th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Not looking forward to an 0-3 UNI team coming in for Hobo Day. BTW, WIU,xeekx

You're MVFC tough!

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 06:15 PM
21-13! Andre Hall Pick 6!

Twentysix
October 17th, 2015, 06:16 PM
This SDSU YSU game is terrible. I'm switching to the WIU UNI game.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 06:23 PM
This SDSU YSU game is terrible. I'm switching to the WIU UNI game.

Not much better. UNI needs some more points from the defense or special team. Offense has looked terrible. WIU has been aggressive all day, which I was impressed with until that pick 6.

Twentysix
October 17th, 2015, 06:26 PM
It's an 8 pt game. There is a decent amount of game left, UNI isn't out just yet.

Have faith!

- - - Updated - - -

Has UNI switched QB's yet, in this game?

ST_Lawson
October 17th, 2015, 06:45 PM
It's an 8 pt game. There is a decent amount of game left, UNI isn't out just yet.

Have faith!

- - - Updated - - -

Has UNI switched QB's yet, in this game?

Yup, put in Bailey in the 2nd half.

Twentysix
October 17th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Yup, put in Bailey in the 2nd half.

From what I've seen of Bailey (which isn't that much) his accuracy is pretty bad for a DI qb, he sure is quick on his feet though.

ST_Lawson
October 17th, 2015, 06:56 PM
From what I've seen of Bailey (which isn't that much) his accuracy is pretty bad for a DI qb, he sure is quick on his feet though.

This is pretty much how things have gone so far.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Sawyer was pretty poor in the first half. Bailey hasn't looked much better.

ST_Lawson
October 17th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Sawyer was pretty poor in the first half. Bailey hasn't looked much better.

He had made a couple of passes this drive that have worked out.

Twentysix
October 17th, 2015, 07:07 PM
:\

Twentysix
October 17th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Is WIU's coach wearing a suit? I don't think I've seen a coach wear something that formal on the sideline.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Here we go. Last chance for the Panthers.

ST_Lawson
October 17th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Is WIU's coach wearing a suit?

Yup, always does. Dress shirt, slacks, and tie.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 07:21 PM
With 3 minutes left that's what we go with?

- - - Updated - - -

Here, running QB, throw a deep ball for us. xrolleyesx

Twentysix
October 17th, 2015, 07:21 PM
With 3 minutes left that's what we go with?

- - - Updated - - -

Here, running QB, throw a deep ball for us. xrolleyesx

...again, I haven't see a huge amount of bailey playing. But whenever I see UNI using him to throw I cringe. His accuracy is awful.

Wouldn't Bailey be more effective as a RB and then used in more of a wildcat formation?

RabidRabbit
October 17th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Yup, Bailey throws INT. WIU is one first down the W. AAANNNNDDD WIU just got that first down.

TheKingpin28
October 17th, 2015, 07:25 PM
...again, I haven't see a huge amount of bailey playing. But whenever I see UNI using him to throw I cringe. His accuracy is awful.

Wouldn't Bailey be more effective as a RB?

Iirc Clenz or one of the Panther fans said something about him only transferring if he could play QB. Sucks since he'd be a great RB or Wing Back

centennial
October 17th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Iirc Clenz or one of the Panther fans said something about him only transferring if he could play QB. Sucks since he'd be a great RB or Wing Back
This is true. I read it when there was a news item. His dad talked about it. Unfortunate, because Bailey would be one of the best RB's in the MVFC.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 08:01 PM
This is true. I read it when there was a news item. His dad talked about it. Unfortunate, because Bailey would be one of the best RB's in the MVFC.

If he wanted to play a different position he would have stayed at Illinois.

centennial
October 17th, 2015, 08:10 PM
If he wanted to play a different position he would have stayed at Illinois.
Then he is absolutely useless to UNI. Outside of NDSU sucking at defending the read option he hasn't impressed one bit.

leatherneck177
October 17th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Nice one for the Necks. A road win in the MVFC is good no matter who you play. I don't think you can even chalk this up to UNI giving the game to Western. Necks beat them on all fronts.

ISUr next week followed by YSU...the grind continues.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Nice one for the Necks. A road win in the MVFC is good no matter who you play. I don't think you can even chalk this up to UNI giving the game to Western. Necks beat them on all fronts.

ISUr next week followed by YSU...the grind continues.

People can think whatever they want of this game , all that matters is your record. ;)

RabidRabbit
October 17th, 2015, 09:39 PM
And Congrats to the 'Necks for being one of two unbeatens in MVFC. After next week, there will only be one.

JayJ79
October 17th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Kollmorgen is still suffering from being concussed yet again by NDSU.
And UNI's o-line play (or lack there of) didn't help things at all

Need to get Dunne in there to see what he can do.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Need to get Dunne in there to see what he can do.
But Bailey is the QB of the future. xrolleyesx

JayJ79
October 17th, 2015, 11:02 PM
But Bailey is the QB of the future. xrolleyesx

well that saves me a few hundred bucks on season tickets and PSC donation next year.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 11:04 PM
well that saves me a few hundred bucks on season tickets and PSC donation next year.

Oh, people still do that? :p

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 11:06 PM
I'd be debating my future donations if I were in that boat.

Unfortunately we might not even make a game this year. No matter how bad things get I would go if we were still in the area.

Living two hours away and having a baby to think about makes us pretty content to watch from home.

Espn3 is cool, but the color commentary is AWFUL.

Twentysix
October 17th, 2015, 11:20 PM
I'd be debating my future donations if I were in that boat.

Unfortunately we might not even make a game this year. No matter how bad things get I would go if we were still in the area.

Living two hours away and having a baby to think about makes us pretty content to watch from home.

Espn3 is cool, but the color commentary is AWFUL.

At least your camera work has been better than NBC ND. There is always an upside :p.