PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-12

JALMOND
October 12th, 2015, 10:49 PM
One conference championship title for sale. Bragging rights for a year and a free pass to the FCS playoffs. Best offer. Who wants it? Right now it seems like there are many Big Sky teams who are fine with leaving their fate in the hands of the playoff committee. Hey, there is an easier way to get in, just win the damn title. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only and all are up for discussion. Who really wants it.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---last week beat Cal Poly at home 42-41, this week at Idaho State---No one said it was going to be easy, but the Eagles do not have to make it so hard, as in being taken to overtime at home. Now its back on the road against an Idaho State team that is breathing new life.

2. Southern Utah (6)---last week bye, this week Sacramento State at home---So the Thunderbirds have not played anyone? Maybe, but 129-10 over the last three games shows they are taking care of business. Showcasing a potent offense with a strong defense, why can't they be the ones to take it?

3. Portland State (8)---last week won at North Texas (C-USA) 66-7, this week Montana State at home---Coming in to this season the Vikings had 2 wins total over the FBS. They now have 2 wins this season alone against the FBS. However, it will be all for naught if they can't win the conference games.

4. Montana State (7)---Last week beat Sacramento State at home 35-13, this week at Portland State---The Bobcats continue their roller coaster ride, being world beaters at home, yet barely having a pulse on the road. They will need to get some life as they move on the road this weekend.

5. Cal Poly (5)---last week lost at Eastern Washington 42-41, this week bye---The Mustangs came just so close on the road in a tough place to play last week. Close however, is not going to cut it if they can't get any wins somewhere. They are taking this week off to regroup.

6. Weber State (9)---last week won at Montana 24-21, this week North Dakota at home---After looking lost at home against Southern Utah, the Wildcats needed a win in a hostile place and they got it, moving back in to the race. A tough game looms this weekend, even if it is at home.

7. Montana (2)---last week lost to Weber State at home 24-21, this week bye---The walking wounded? Maybe the only explanation for what happened to this high explosive team. An understatement to say an off week is going to be really beneficial to get healthy.

8. North Dakota (4)---last week lost to Idaho State at home 37-31, this week at Weber State---Shocking was the term used to describe last week's loss. Almost on par with the Dakotans rise to the upper echelon of the conference. If they want to continue, they need a win this weekend.

9. Northern Arizona (3)---last week lost at UC-Davis 38-24, this week bye---Odd to say the least, to describe the Lumberjacks loss last week to a winless conference foe. The off week comes at a good time to rest and regroup and try to make the playoffs.

10. UC-Davis (10)---last week beat Northern Arizona at home 38-24, this week at Northern Colorado---Finally the Aggies broke through and got their first win of the season, and did it against a formidable foe. They hope to get a second win this week against possibly a far less opponent.

11. Idaho State (12)---last week won at North Dakota 37-31, this week Eastern Washington at home---With the win last week, the Bengals made a statement that they are not ready to close up the season yet. They get a chance to make an even bigger statement this weekend.

12. Northern Colorado (11)---last week bye, this week UC-Davis at home---The Bears used the bye to regroup and remain focused after getting their first conference win of the year. They get back in the action this weekend, hoping to continue their new-found winning ways.

13. Sacramento State (13)---last week lost at Montana State 35-13, this week at Southern Utah---What has happened to the once mighty Hornets? Very little life left in them and now they hit the road again trying to salvage the season against a now-tough opponent.

RECAP: 1-9 bunched together (who wants it), 10, then 11, then 12, then 13.

mvemjsunpx
October 12th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Not sure why you're surprised at Sac being bad. They lost a ton on offense from last year.

dudeitsaid
October 12th, 2015, 11:33 PM
One conference championship title for sale. Bragging rights for a year and a free pass to the FCS playoffs. Best offer. Who wants it? Right now it seems like there are many Big Sky teams who are fine with leaving their fate in the hands of the playoff committee. Hey, there is an easier way to get in, just win the damn title. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only and all are up for discussion. Who really wants it.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---last week beat Cal Poly at home 42-41, this week at Idaho State---No one said it was going to be easy, but the Eagles do not have to make it so hard, as in being taken to overtime at home. Now its back on the road against an Idaho State team that is breathing new life.

2. Southern Utah (6)---last week bye, this week Sacramento State at home---So the Thunderbirds have not played anyone? Maybe, but 129-10 over the last three games shows they are taking care of business. Showcasing a potent offense with a strong defense, why can't they be the ones to take it?

3. Portland State (8)---last week won at North Texas (C-USA) 66-7, this week Montana State at home---Coming in to this season the Vikings had 2 wins total over the FBS. They now have 2 wins this season alone against the FBS. However, it will be all for naught if they can't win the conference games.

4. Montana State (7)---Last week beat Sacramento State at home 35-13, this week at Portland State---The Bobcats continue their roller coaster ride, being world beaters at home, yet barely having a pulse on the road. They will need to get some life as they move on the road this weekend.

5. Cal Poly (5)---last week lost at Eastern Washington 42-41, this week bye---The Mustangs came just so close on the road in a tough place to play last week. Close however, is not going to cut it if they can't get any wins somewhere. They are taking this week off to regroup.

6. Weber State (9)---last week won at Montana 24-21, this week North Dakota at home---After looking lost at home against Southern Utah, the Wildcats needed a win in a hostile place and they got it, moving back in to the race. A tough game looms this weekend, even if it is at home.

7. Montana (2)---last week lost to Weber State at home 24-21, this week bye---The walking wounded? Maybe the only explanation for what happened to this high explosive team. An understatement to say an off week is going to be really beneficial to get healthy.

8. North Dakota (4)---last week lost to Idaho State at home 37-31, this week at Weber State---Shocking was the term used to describe last week's loss. Almost on par with the Dakotans rise to the upper echelon of the conference. If they want to continue, they need a win this weekend.

9. Northern Arizona (3)---last week lost at UC-Davis 38-24, this week bye---Odd to say the least, to describe the Lumberjacks loss last week to a winless conference foe. The off week comes at a good time to rest and regroup and try to make the playoffs.

10. UC-Davis (10)---last week beat Northern Arizona at home 38-24, this week at Northern Colorado---Finally the Aggies broke through and got their first win of the season, and did it against a formidable foe. They hope to get a second win this week against possibly a far less opponent.

11. Idaho State (12)---last week won at North Dakota 37-31, this week Eastern Washington at home---With the win last week, the Bengals made a statement that they are not ready to close up the season yet. They get a chance to make an even bigger statement this weekend.

12. Northern Colorado (11)---last week bye, this week UC-Davis at home---The Bears used the bye to regroup and remain focused after getting their first conference win of the year. They get back in the action this weekend, hoping to continue their new-found winning ways.

13. Sacramento State (13)---last week lost at Montana State 35-13, this week at Southern Utah---What has happened to the once mighty Hornets? Very little life left in them and now they hit the road again trying to salvage the season against a now-tough opponent.

RECAP: 1-9 bunched together (who wants it), 10, then 11, then 12, then 13.

Crazy to see UM that low on a BSC power ranking this far into the season. I didn't think I'd ever see something like that in my lifetime with their long term run of dominance. Surreal!

It's cool to see you're resistance for showing any homerism, but I think PSU has shown way more than SUU at this point. Heck, I wouldn't blame anyone for putting the Vikings at number 1 honestly. They are really impressing!

JALMOND
October 13th, 2015, 12:15 AM
Crazy to see UM that low on a BSC power ranking this far into the season. I didn't think I'd ever see something like that in my lifetime with their long term run of dominance. Surreal!

It's cool to see you're resistance for showing any homerism, but I think PSU has shown way more than SUU at this point. Heck, I wouldn't blame anyone for putting the Vikings at number 1 honestly. They are really impressing!

I have been accused before of being harsh on PSU, but the home loss to North Dakota is still too fresh to overlook. Regarding SUU, some teams have shown to have a good offense and no defense. Some have a good defense and no offense. But SUU has shown that they might have both (and might be the only team in the conference). Also, after Weber took their beating against SUU, they went and won at Montana so I can easily piggyback SUU on that win as well. Right now when it seems no one wants it, SUU seems like a logical pick at least for second.

mvemjsunpx
October 13th, 2015, 12:32 AM
I have been accused before of being harsh on PSU, but the home loss to North Dakota is still too fresh to overlook. Regarding SUU, some teams have shown to have a good offense and no defense. Some have a good defense and no offense. But SUU has shown that they might have both (and might be the only team in the conference). Also, after Weber took their beating against SUU, they went and won at Montana so I can easily piggyback SUU on that win as well. Right now when it seems no one wants it, SUU seems like a logical pick at least for second.

SUU has a good O? Since when? They're near the bottom of the league in total offense & passing efficiency.

JALMOND
October 13th, 2015, 01:02 AM
SUU has a good O? Since when? They're near the bottom of the league in total offense & passing efficiency.

Might have a good offense. It might be coming around. Still, SUU was the logical pick at #2. The team that beat PSU laid an egg against Idaho State. The team that beat MSU took it on the chin against UC-Davis. Poly maybe on their performance at EWU but they are at 2-4 overall. Also, the team that SUU beat the week before, got a big win at Montana, a very difficult place for the visitors to win (ask NDSU).

Nodak78
October 13th, 2015, 07:20 AM
PSU is for real. Our defense was strong against them. We lost a linebacker for the season and safety for at least one game maybe two. they are very physical. we did lay an agog with ISU. we had 3 TO's in the fist qtr. the game should have been over by half. however with both starting safeties out we got torched in the 4th qtr. our QB went down in the 3rd qtr and we didn't close out the game with a long drive which would have secured the game. we don't have the depth for the long haul. hopeful we will get a safety back for this game if we do. we win.

geaux_sioux
October 13th, 2015, 10:54 AM
At this point it's tough to know who exactly any of the teams are. None have been consistent and there have already been major upsets/let downs. It feels like EWU will win the conference but they could turn around and lose their next game. It will be interesting to see if any team is actually the cream.

tomq04
October 13th, 2015, 11:11 AM
The next 4 weeks EWU has:

@ IDaho St
@ No Co
Weber at home
No Az at home

It seems EWU should run 4-0 on that, not sure anyone else will be able to catch at that point. Not saying they are the cream (rooting for PSU), but they have the most favorable schedule I would think.

mvemjsunpx
October 13th, 2015, 11:12 AM
At this point it's tough to know who exactly any of the teams are. None have been consistent and there have already been major upsets/let downs. It feels like EWU will win the conference but they could turn around and lose their next game. It will be interesting to see if any team is actually the cream.

It looks a lot like 1998 when the Griz won the league outright at 6-2 after they beat the 'Cats and Northridge choked against last-place Idaho State.

wapiti
October 13th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Using 7 Div 1 wins as the point of receiving playoff potential I will list what a team needs to do to get to this point.

1. Eastern Washington--- Must win 4 of 6

2. Southern Utah ---Must win 5 of 6

3. Portland State ---Must win 4 of 6

4. Montana State ---Must win 5 of 6

5. Cal Poly ---Must win 5 of 5

6. Weber State ---Must win 4 of 5

7. Montana ---Must win 4 of 5

8. North Dakota ---Must win 3 of 5

9. Northern Arizona ---Must win 5 of 5

10. UC-Davis ---Out - 5 games left

11. Idaho State ---Out - 5 games left

12. Northern Colorado ---Must win 5 of 6

13. Sacramento State ---Out - 5 games left

MTfan4life
October 13th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Using 7 Div 1 wins as the point of receiving playoff potential I will list what a team needs to do to get to this point.

1. Eastern Washington--- Must win 4 of 6

2. Southern Utah ---Must win 5 of 6

3. Portland State ---Must win 4 of 6

4. Montana State ---Must win 5 of 6

5. Cal Poly ---Must win 5 of 5

6. Weber State ---Must win 4 of 5

7. Montana ---Must win 4 of 5

8. North Dakota ---Must win 3 of 5

9. Northern Arizona ---Must win 5 of 5

10. UC-Davis ---Out - 5 games left

11. Idaho State ---Out - 5 games left

12. Northern Colorado ---Must win 5 of 6

13. Sacramento State ---Out - 5 games left

First, it'd be kind of ridiculous if an entirely new program in ETSU got to be counted as a D1 win. Of their entire roster, just 13 are not freshman. That's a JV team if there's ever been one.

Second, if the teams in the Sky keep beating each other up, it's entirely possible that only one team ends up with 7 wins. We might be seeing just the auto bid in the playoffs if that ends up being the case.

Hambone
October 13th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Kind of surprised that UND has the least amount of games to win to get to the magical 7 win mark (and yes, I know they have a game at hand over most). And there don't really appear to be any consistent teams this year. Quite the crapshoot.

tomq04
October 13th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Kind of surprised that UND has the least amount of games to win to get to the magical 7 win mark (and yes, I know they have a game at hand over most). And there don't really appear to be any consistent teams this year. Quite the crapshoot.

They really crapped the bed at ISU.

kalm
October 13th, 2015, 01:46 PM
First, it'd be kind of ridiculous if an entirely new program in ETSU got to be counted as a D1 win. Of their entire roster, just 13 are not freshman. That's a JV team if there's ever been one.

Second, if the teams in the Sky keep beating each other up, it's entirely possible that only one team ends up with 7 wins. We might be seeing just the auto bid in the playoffs if that ends up being the case.

I also wondered about that possibility. Or it could be like 2005 where you had 7-5 Eastern, 7-4 MSU, and 8-4 Montana all tie at 5-2 with Eastern getting the auto and the other two getting at-larges.

wapiti
October 13th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I do think that PSU would still make playoffs at 6 wins due to the 2 FBS wins.
Remaining games for PSU are:
MSU
@CP
UM
@NC
SU
@EWU

RabidRabbit
October 13th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I do think that PSU would still make playoffs at 6 wins due to the 2 FBS wins.
Remaining games for PSU are:
MSU
@CP
UM
@NC
SU
@EWU

Possibly, however, Vikings will need wins vs at least some wins vs teams tied with, and preferably above them. Comparable situation was ndsu in 2011 when 4-4 (ALONG with 4 or 5 other mvfc teams,but had Kansas win, other schools no Fbs win. Third team out of Mvfc that season.

grizband
October 13th, 2015, 05:48 PM

I'm fairly certain ETSU is not a counter this year. If true, the Cats need to win out in order to reach 7 D1 counting wins.

CrazyCat
October 13th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I'm fairly certain ETSU is not a counter this year. If true, the Cats need to win out in order to reach 7 D1 counting wins.

I'm fairly certain they are. If not. I'm fairly certain Fields will be fired

grizband
October 13th, 2015, 07:13 PM
You are probably correct. Thought I heard somewhere they didn't count, but now I can't find that information.

mvemjsunpx
October 13th, 2015, 10:55 PM

Is there any way to find out for sure? ETSU is fully DI, but I'm pretty sure they aren't playing a qualifying schedule this year.

At any rate, this game could rank among the most hilarious of atrocities. xsmiley_wix

EdubAlum
October 13th, 2015, 11:41 PM
PDX State should be number one, and it kills me to say that...

CrazyCat
October 14th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Is there any way to find out for sure? ETSU is fully DI, but I'm pretty sure they aren't playing a qualifying schedule this year.

At any rate, this game could rank among the most hilarious of atrocities. xsmiley_wix

According to Dan Davies(Assoc. AD) it is a counter.