PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week Seven

Smitty
October 12th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Power Rankings

1) Chattanooga - easily beat Furman
2) Samford - Handled VMI
3) The Citadel - Finally beats Wofford after 16 game losing streak
4) Furman - What happened?
5) Wofford - Could not find a way into the endzone
6) Western Carolina - Late 4th quarter comeback win
7) Mercer - Could not finish the game
8) VMI - Ouch
East Tennessee State

Predictions

Chattanooga @ VMI - UTC is still the team to beat
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Wofford doesn't let Western come from behind to win this week
The Citadel @ Samford - While the Citadel is showing strong, I believe Samford win this one
ETSU @ Mercer - Was hoping for a decent game but it doesn't look like it will happen this year.

Furman @ BYE

ElCid
October 12th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Wofford @ Western Carolina - Wofford doesn't let Western come from behind to win this week

I thought WCU was at Wofford?

And we are at Samford

And ETSU is at Mercer

And UTC us at VMI.....

Must have been a heck of a partyxeyebrowx

Smitty
October 12th, 2015, 01:00 PM
I thought WCU was at Wofford?

Sorry had both columns mixed up on the SoCon site. I had the home team on the right instead of the left.

eiu1999
October 12th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Chattanooga @ VMI
Western Carolina @ Wofford
The Citadel @ Samford
ETSU @ Mercer

ElCid
October 12th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Power Rankings

1. UTC: Getting it done each week
2. Samford: Creeping back higher, convincing win
3. The Citadel: Ended the streak to the rat dogs in nice fashion
4. Furman: Offense is struggling bad; they have to be the most inconsistent team out there
5. WCU: Kudos for a nice come from behind win
6. Wofford: Not the team of yesteryear; Ayers seemed in a daze during the postgame interview Saturday
7. Mercer: Oh so close...again
8. VMI: Completing passes to the other team way too often

Predictions

UTC at VMI - Mocs will roll, could be bad - 44-10
WCU at Wofford- Wofford bounces back - 28-20
The Citadel at Samford - (Game of the Week) Battle of the Bulldogs; I fear The Citadel may rest on its lauels too much; The Citadel's pass D is much improved and its rushing game will give Samford fits early, but Samford may prove too much for my Dogs in only their second road game of the year; if my Dogs limit turnovers/silly penalties, maintain consistent drives, and keep Eubank from completing the long balls, it may be closer - 34-17
ETSU at Mercer- Poor ETSU; the frustration of the last two weeks will be unleased on the poor Bucs - 55-3

PaladinFan
October 12th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Power Rankings

1) Chattanooga - easily beat Furman
2) Samford - Handled VMI
3) The Citadel - Finally beats Wofford after 16 game losing streak
4) Furman - What happened?
5) Wofford - Could not find a way into the endzone
6) Western Carolina - Late 4th quarter comeback win
7) Mercer - Could not finish the game
8) VMI - Ouch
East Tennessee State

Predictions

Chattanooga @ VMI - UTC is still the team to beat
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Wofford doesn't let Western come from behind to win this week
The Citadel @ Samford - While the Citadel is showing strong, I believe Samford win this one
ETSU @ Mercer - Was hoping for a decent game but it doesn't look like it will happen this year.

Furman @ BYE

A lot of the mistakes Furman was able to overcome the last few weeks against lesser teams caught up to them against UTC.

This was the first game in 2015 that was reminiscent of 2014 for Furman. Could not do anything offensively and our defense can only keep us in the game so long.

Furman has some real problems on offense. I am at a loss, frankly. I don't know if it is coaching, scheme, personnel, or whatever. We've played some good defenses, to be sure, but everything out there looks forced. I will give a team a bad game or two, but this is going on three seasons of looking nothing short of pedestrian on offense.

Right now our offensive game plan seems to be to hope our defense forces a turnover and we can run a few plays and kick a field goal. That isn't going to cut it.

walliver
October 12th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Power Ratings:

1) Chattanooga - To the dismay of the rest of the league, the Mocs have forgotten how to "pull a Huesman" and choke in the big game.
... gap here ...
2) Samford - The Bama Dogs haven't been that impressive, but have only a single loss to UTC.
3) The Citadel - Still facing the meat of their schedule, but won the South Carolina Canine Championship.
4) FU - Somewhat of an enigma. With Hannon healthy, I expected more than 3 points.
5) Wofford - Play has been sloppy for the last two weeks. Hopefully things turn around this week. This is not a typical Mike Ayers team.
6) WCU - good comeback, but shouldn't have been down that far to begin with.
7) Mercer - A better kicker and they could move up a few notches.
8) VMI -anxiously awaiting the arrival of ETSU.
FCS-Independent ETSU

This week:
Chatty at VMI - Maybe the Mocs have a let-down and only win by 28, but I doubt it. Mocs 49- Keydets 17.
WCU at Wofford - similar resumes so far. After two straight in the 'Whee, this game returns to Sparkle City and Terriers hold on for a 27-24 win.
The Citadel at Samford. Really hard game for me to call, as I do not have a good feel for Hatch Attack v2.0 in the SoCon. The Carolina Pups keep it close but loose to Bama pups 31-28.
ETSU at Mercer - After three straight losses, the Bears feast on the Bucs 56-21.
BYE at FU - In a defensive struggle, the Horsey People don't lose

After going 1-3 last week, I am holding off on big upset calls this week.

kdinva
October 12th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Chattanooga 37 @ VMI 21
Western Carolina 20 @ Wofford 28
The Citadel 21 @ Samford 38
ETSU 13 @ Mercer 47

The Cats
October 12th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Chattanooga @ VMI
The Citadel @ Samford
ETSU @ Mercer

OL FU
October 13th, 2015, 06:12 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. The Citadel
4. Furman
5. Western Carolina
6. Wofford
7. Mercer
8. VMI

Now appears that 4 through 6 is the undecided portion. 2 and 3 too but we'll know Saturday (understatement kudos)

Chattanooga @ VMI
The Citadel @ Samford
ETSU @ Mercer

Game of the week obviously Samford and The Citadel. Advantage home team.
WCU and WC - normally I would go with Wofford even the way the season has gone but Wofford seems to be the biggest continuing mystery. One of the most predictable teams in the conference for years. 1 mediocre year, then one good year and then two really good years. After that back to mediocre to start the trend over again. This is looking like the third mediocre year in a row. xeyebrowx

tenNesseeCat
October 13th, 2015, 08:36 AM

UTC - until they are defeated
SU - I don't know that they should have ever moved from this spot
The Citadel - good team if they stay consistent
WCU - Still has issues, but they have won two in a row
FU - good D, inconsistent O
WC - injury in the secondary won't help their pass D
MU - dangerous if they can ever put it all together
VMI - their O has to win them games, too 1 dimensional
ETSU - sad

UTC @ VMI - 1st blowout - 38-3
WCU @ WC - I think WCU can get the passing game going, combined with a solid run game. 24-17
The Citadel @ SU - I want to pick The Citadel, but I don't think the long trip to Alabama will be in their favor. 34-21
ETSU @ MU - 2nd blowout - 48-10

SU DOG
October 13th, 2015, 02:52 PM
First off, I think that Furman is still super dangerous, and when that light turns on - WATCH OUT. I can't see any obvious weakness, and I see exceptional talent at most all positions. In watching Wofford Saturday, I have never seen a Terriers team this discombobulated. They had problems in EVERY area of the game, and seemed just out of sync. I know that The Citadel played a fantastic game and had something to do with this, but Coach Ayers has some major work to do. Injuries may be a big part of their problems also. I won't post a power ranking until after this Saturday.

UTC @ VMI - Captain Obvious pick of UTC. I still say that the Keydets are afar better team than they were last year.
WCU @ Wofford - I'm going with the Catamounts. If Wofford plays like last week, the Cats will win.
ETSU @ Mercer - Bears have a fun day, and the missing Mercer posters will return.
The Citadel @ Samford - I'm extremely worried about this one. The Citadel looked like a complete team last week, and they are always tough for us. I'm so glad that this game is at Seibert, and think that will make the difference. Our passing attack will HAVE to be on target to overcome a really good Citadel defense. Samford Bulldogs over those other ones.

Catamount87
October 14th, 2015, 08:45 AM
This week's rankings

1. UTC - still king of the hill
2. (tie) Samford, Citadel - the battle for #2 is this weekend
4. (tie) WCU - Offense is still a bit inconsistent, defense is keeping us in games
Furman - offense is even more inconsistent than WCU, defense is keeping them in games
Wofford - Issues abound with them, did the beatdown last week kill their fragile spirit?
7. Mercer - Just need to catch a few breaks, make a few plays then 2-6 need to watch out. I still think they are the most dangerous team in the SoCon.
8. VMI - Where oh where is a defense that can match that offense?
9. ETSU - awful, just awful

Predictions

UTC @ VMI - It'll be close for maybe 5 minutes
WCU @ Wofford - Cats get the passing game going again but it's still a close game
The Citadel @ Samford - The Citadel flexes some muscle with the SoCon's top rushing offense and top pass defense.
ETSU @ Mercer - This will get ugly in a hurry

Toby
October 14th, 2015, 12:19 PM
ETSU @ Mercer - Bears have a fun day, and the missing Mercer posters will return.

LOL. Glad we were missed. :) Actually, my password quit working and I was too lazy to update it until now. But also have been recovering from "woulda and coulda syndrome." I think I'm close.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2015, 12:21 PM
First off, I think that Furman is still super dangerous, and when that light turns on - WATCH OUT. I can't see any obvious weakness, and I see exceptional talent at most all positions. In watching Wofford Saturday, I have never seen a Terriers team this discombobulated. They had problems in EVERY area of the game, and seemed just out of sync. I know that The Citadel played a fantastic game and had something to do with this, but Coach Ayers has some major work to do. Injuries may be a big part of their problems also. I won't post a power ranking until after this Saturday.

UTC @ VMI - Captain Obvious pick of UTC. I still say that the Keydets are afar better team than they were last year.
WCU @ Wofford - I'm going with the Catamounts. If Wofford plays like last week, the Cats will win.
The Citadel @ Samford - I'm extremely worried about this one. The Citadel looked like a complete team last week, and they are always tough for us. I'm so glad that this game is at Seibert, and think that will make the difference. Our passing attack will HAVE to be on target to overcome a really good Citadel defense. Samford Bulldogs over those other ones.

You sort of highlight the problem most Furman fans are wrestling with. No obvious glaring holes (particularly on defense), but things do not look smooth.

I personally think Furman is going to have to take the training wheels off Reese Hannon and just let him air it out. Furman's biggest advantage is at the wide receiver position, and we never seem to much utilize it for dedication to a non-existent run game.

Furman's offense is a run first prostyle offense. I get it. At the moment, the running game isn't working against anyone (granted, they haven't played many cupcake defenses) and at some point, you need to decide whether the season hangs in the balance and if 17 points is going to consistently win football games for you. Time to put the ball in the hands of the best players and let them play.

Toby
October 14th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Massey Composite and change from last week:

1. UTC 9, +2
2. Samford 23, +8
3. Citadel 28, +27
4. Wofford 44, -15
5. Furman 46, -13
6. WCU 53, +9
7. Mercer 78, -7
8. VMI 100, -11
9. ETSU 122, -1

Looks about right. The Samford - Citadel winner should jump up into the top 20 next week.

ElCid
October 14th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Massey Composite and change from last week:

1. UTC 9, +2
2. Samford 23, +8
3. Citadel 28, +27
4. Wofford 44, -15
5. Furman 46, -13
6. WCU 53, +9
7. Mercer 78, -7
8. VMI 100, -11
9. ETSU 122, -1

Looks about right. The Samford - Citadel winner should jump up into the top 20 next week.

I wish that were true and maybe in the composite, which includes human and computer polls, it will be, but the SOCON appears to have lost some charm lately among human voters. Samford is not getting much love right now and we are only sniffing ORV in a couple polls. Craping the bed against the Baptists did that. Samford is top 25 in most computer ratings.

ElCid
October 14th, 2015, 06:48 PM

That is as good as description as I can think as well. I was elated at the results, but a tiny bit regretting that it was not against a better Wofford team. They looked very slow, mentally and physically. They have had a rough road schedule lately. Ayers will have them back in fighting trim again, no doubt. I actually picked them this week because I think they will be fired up.

Catamount87
October 15th, 2015, 08:50 AM
That is as good as description as I can think as well. I was elated at the results, but a tiny bit regretting that it was not against a better Wofford team. They looked very slow, mentally and physically. They have had a rough road schedule lately. Ayers will have them back in fighting trim again, no doubt. I actually picked them this week because I think they will be fired up.

During our game against Wofford last year, several of us got to talking about how they seemed out of sorts. As the game progressed and when it was still anyone's game, we started to notice something we had never seen from a Wofford team, body language that screamed a lack of confidence, heads started to hang a bit low, between play movement had less intensity, players on the sidelines just milled about and such. After that game, I tried to watch what I could of Wofford's games and saw the same thing. I haven't seen them this year but suspect I'd see the same thing. They are struggling to maintain any semblance of confidence.

Now of course I hope they regain it which will make the SoCon stronger but not until after this Saturday of course. :-)

chattownmocs
October 15th, 2015, 08:51 AM

Honestly it usually doesn't come back when its started to slip. Especially not with an older coach.

chattanoogamocs
October 15th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I think the biggest thing that made Wofford so good was the longevity and continuity of their coaching staff...they've had a lot of turnover in recent years...and they don't have a once in a decade player like Breitenstein to make up for any shortcomings or mistakes by other players.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 15th, 2015, 10:03 AM
I was 4-0 last week. Still seeing some separation again. This is where I have it this week.

1) Chattanooga - Dispatched Furman with relative ease.
2) The Citadel - Sent Terriers home with a loss
3) Furman - Lucky streak came to an end.
4) Samford - Laid beating on the Keydets.
5) Western Carolina - Got lucky against Mercer in the end.
6) Wofford - Got smacked around on the road.
7) Mercer - So close, yet so far away.
8) VMI - Offense pretty good, defense not so much
ETSU - Had the week off.

Predictions
Chattanooga @ VMI - Mocs lay waste to the Keydets.
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Catamounts come away with a road win
The Citadel @ Samford (Game of the Week) - Road Dogs get it done
ETSU @ Mercer (FireCarlTorbush.com Beatdown of the Week) - Bears take out frustration against ETSU.

ElCid
October 15th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Honestly it usually doesn't come back when its started to slip. Especially not with an older coach.

That would be a shame. As much I have hated Wofford lately( 15 years or so), I respect their coach and the job he has done.

walliver
October 15th, 2015, 12:34 PM
During our game against Wofford last year, several of us got to talking about how they seemed out of sorts. As the game progressed and when it was still anyone's game, we started to notice something we had never seen from a Wofford team, body language that screamed a lack of confidence, heads started to hang a bit low, between play movement had less intensity, players on the sidelines just milled about and such. After that game, I tried to watch what I could of Wofford's games and saw the same thing. I haven't seen them this year but suspect I'd see the same thing. They are struggling to maintain any semblance of confidence.

Now of course I hope they regain it which will make the SoCon stronger but not until after this Saturday of course. :-)

For the third year in a row, we are playing QB by committee. Four years ago, injuries to our 1st and 2nd team QB's played a role, but the last three years have just been general QB confusion. Our best QB has only started one game this year. The triple option is a timing-dependent offense, and I don't know how the team can get in sync when QB's are changed multiple times a game.

Jiggs
October 16th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Chattanooga @ VMI
The Citadel @ Samford
ETSU @ Mercer

Mocs123
October 16th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Chattanooga 37
VMI 13
Chattanooga makes the long trip to Lexington and takes care of business on the road.

Western Carolina 28
Wofford 33
This is a tough game to call and both teams are not where they wanted to be this season. Western “should” win, but I think they get tripped up on the triple option and let the Terriers pull it out at home.

The Citadel 38
Samford 45
This is another hard game for me to call as I could see it going either way. I will go with the home team in a tight game with lots of points scored.

ETSU 7
Mercer 45
Mercer takes it’s frustrations out on the Bucs
1.) Chattanooga
2.) Samford
3.) Citadel
4.) Furman
5.) Wofford
6.) Western Carolina
7.) Mercer
8.) VMI
9.) ETSU

DoWe
October 17th, 2015, 01:04 AM
My list of least likeliest to lose this week in order of their least likeliness:

Mercer & Chat (tied with no breaker)
WCU
Citadel

bonarae
October 17th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Chattanooga
Wofford
Samford
Mercer

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Ruh roh.

VMI leading UTC at halftime. Go Keydets!

ElCid
October 17th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Oh my God. Late scoop and score just prior to half by The Citadel. 35-14. My Dogs are on fire on both sides of the ball.

BullDog85
October 17th, 2015, 05:06 PM
44-25 Go Dogs!

Mocs123
October 17th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Wow at the beatdown The Citadel put on Samford.

Nice day for Hamilton though 220 yards receiving is a ton.

Did Eubanks get hurt or did they pull him?

ElCid
October 17th, 2015, 06:56 PM

Did Eubanks get hurt or did they pull him?

Pulled him. We shut him down. Their backup, Hodges was doing pretty good and we gave up lots of yards late. Could have been much closer but we caught some breaks and made some breaks.

BullDog85
October 17th, 2015, 08:44 PM

Did Eubanks get hurt or did they pull him? He was pulled.

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Really no off weeks in this conference.

Glad to see Samford hang their second loss. Furman needs to tag El Cid next weekend in Greenville.

citdog
October 17th, 2015, 09:09 PM
furman sucks

ElCid
October 17th, 2015, 09:48 PM
furman sucks

^^ditto, what he said^^

CID1990
October 18th, 2015, 08:36 AM
firmen had better start playing better football

squeaking by VMI and scoring just 3 to Chatty does not bode well because El Cid's defense is legit for now

furple has not been playing anywhere near their potential on offense

maybe the bye will help... it helped us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU DOG
October 18th, 2015, 11:22 AM
I said it after we played UTC, and I'll say it again - we are SOFT, and The Citadel was NOT soft. Congrats to those guys, who played so well for the second straight week. I definitely vote Samford #1 in the SoCon for wasted talent. So disappointing, and I was so wrong in thinking this was our year. Still think it could have been. Coaching and team chemistry questions definitely raised.

FUGameBreaker
October 21st, 2015, 01:26 PM
citadel sucks

CID1990
October 21st, 2015, 01:35 PM
citadel sucks

the only reason charleston doesnt float off into the atlantic is because fyrmyn sucks so hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
October 21st, 2015, 04:53 PM
citadel sucks

Oh come on, that it not very original. It has already been taken. I am sure you can do better than that.

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2015, 06:09 PM
Oh come on, that it not very original. It has already been taken. I am sure you can do better than that.

You're right....it should go without saying. No sense in pointing out the obvious.

citdog
October 21st, 2015, 10:55 PM
citadel sucks

Olfu sucks