PDA

View Full Version : National title contenders..at this point.

Pages : [1] 2

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2015, 08:02 AM
To me there are 10 teams that could be considered legit national title contenders. Obviously not all are, and some others may be.

In no real order

Jacksonville State
James Madison
Coastal Carolina
NDSU
Illinois State
Chattanooga
South Dakota State
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
Eastern Washington

Who am I missing. Who doesn't belong?

Smitty
October 12th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Can we wait to put Chattanooga on this list until they win a playoff game?

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Can we wait to put Chattanooga on this list until they win a playoff game?

Ok, well I guess they went on there last December. Thanks

Smitty
October 12th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Ok, well I guess they went on there last December. Thanks

I am not talking about last year.

Mattymc727
October 12th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Don't forget to add Dayton

WrenFGun
October 12th, 2015, 08:22 AM

So you want them to win a playoff game by October to make this list, but you only want them to do it in games played in 2015? That is some tough criteria.

UNI has it's work cut out for them to even make the playoffs at this point. They're a great team, not sure they belong on this list right now. They'd be 1 and 1A with JMU if they were in the CAA, though.

I'd consider adding W&M to this list. It's a pretty good team.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Yes you were. We couldn't put anyone on here unless you were talking about previous years. Stfu

tribe_pride
October 12th, 2015, 08:23 AM

Not saying they should or should not be on but why did you single out Chattanooga then? Seems like you should be saying this thread should not exist at all.

Smitty
October 12th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Yes you were. We couldn't put anyone on here unless you were talking about previous years. Stfu

UTC has been known to drop important games. I don't consider them a contender for this years title until they can prove it in the playoffs.

You had a close game with Mars Hill, you lost to Jacksonville State, and you still have 3 SoCon games that could give you trouble (not including WCU because we don't have a chance).

So yes, until you win a playoff game this year (and even then depending on how you win that game) I'm not going to consider you a national title contender.

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Last year the week 6 AGS poll (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?161546-AGS-Poll-Results-Week-6-2014) had McNeese St at #5 and Southern Illinois at #8. Both those teams ended the season with 6 wins and out of the playoffs altogether. On the other side Sam Houston St wasn't even in the top 40 at that time. There's a lot of season yet and the teams that are contending for a national title are likely to change a lot by the time it comes for teams to actually contend for a national title.

UNIFanSince1983
October 12th, 2015, 08:28 AM
So you want them to win a playoff game by October to make this list, but you only want them to do it in games played in 2015? That is some tough criteria.

UNI has it's work cut out for them to even make the playoffs at this point. They're a great team, not sure they belong on this list right now. They'd be 1 and 1A with JMU if they were in the CAA, though.

I'd consider adding W&M to this list. It's a pretty good team.

I tend to agree with you on this point. However, if we take care of business in games we should win, and then sneak out a roadie at SDSU we will be in. Unfortunately, that is very tough. Even WIU this weekend at home will be a tough game. And once we make it in we won't be seeded and will end up more than likely at ISUr in the second round again. I don't think we can beat them there. So we may not be in this conversation right now. Although we do have the talent of a National Championship caliber team on defense. Not sure the offense is there yet though.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2015, 08:33 AM
UTC has been known to drop important games. I don't consider them a contender for this years title until they can prove it in the playoffs.

You had a close game with Mars Hill, you lost to Jacksonville State, and you still have 3 SoCon games that could give you trouble (not including WCU because we don't have a chance).

So yes, until you win a playoff game this year (and even then depending on how you win that game) I'm not going to consider you a national title contender.

"give us trouble" is a non specific term. Which team can legitimately line up and match up with chattanooga? There isn't one left on our schedule. Not even close. Its going to take a major upset.

Smitty
October 12th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Not saying they should or should not be on but why did you single out Chattanooga then? Seems like you should be saying this thread should not exist at all.

As for the rest of the list

Jacksonville State - Contender, has had one close game to UT Martin, took Auburn into overtime
James Madison - Contender, Has won by double digits in all of their games except SMU where they won by 3
Coastal Carolina - Contender, has teal turf
NDSU - Contender, plenty of championships to prove this
Illinois State - Contender, played Iowa tough, held out against UNI and YSU
Chattanooga - See above
South Dakota State - Not a Contender, Has won good games so far this season but was defeated by NDSU, can they win if they face them again in the playoffs? Probably not
Youngstown State - Not a Contender, while they have only lost against Pitt and Illinois State, currently I don't see them winning out against these other teams
Northern Iowa - Not a Contender, has lost to Illinois State, NDSU, and probably will lose 1 or 2 more this season
Eastern Washington - Possibly a Contender but not really, usually a strong team but have had very close games so far

Smitty
October 12th, 2015, 08:39 AM
"give us trouble" is a non specific term. Which team can legitimately line up and match up with chattanooga? There isn't one left on our schedule. Not even close. Its going to take a major upset.

Mercer gave you a run last year, Citadel is looking strong so far this year, and Wofford while not looking strong can be a thorn and pull an upset.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Mercer gave you a run last year, Citadel is looking strong so far this year, and Wofford while not looking strong can be a thorn and pull an upset.

Sounds like denial. If chattanooga lays a major egg, all bets are off. That's said, chattanooga is superior to all of those teams by a very wide margin. Frankly, I don't know how long you socon dweebs are going to hold on to this nonsense about "anybody can beat anybody" sure that's true in just about all of d1 football. Very possibly the least true in the socon.

BEAR
October 12th, 2015, 08:59 AM
From the Southland:

McNeese 5-0. Could be 6-0 after the game with UCA this weekend. Only one more win for playoff consideration and a few more easy games left after this weekend.
UCA- A win this weekend and they have 4 division I wins but also have Sam, SELA, SFA, and Lamar left so getting that 7 will be tough.
SAM- With 4 easy games left on the schedule and two against McNeese and UCA, 7 wins is likely for playoff eligibility.
Lamar- With 4 easy games left on the schedule and two home games against McNeese and UCA 7 wins is possible.
SELA- With 4 easy games left on the schedule and only having to travel to UCA, 7 wins is possible.
* No other SLC team has the possibility of 7 wins..to make the playoffs they have to hope for a complete meltdown by the 5 teams above.

The likely SLC rep(s) to the playoffs so far IMO....
McNeese. 5-0 is a great start....... so far. But this weekend is a huge game.
UCA. Win Saturday against McNeese and they should be a top 25 team or close to it. Offense is rocking. Defense is crushing.
SAM- Might squeeze in there but tough road trips coming. Still though Sam has the possibility of winning the conference.

Talk about parity! xnodx

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2015, 09:00 AM
To me there are 10 teams that could be considered legit national title contenders. Obviously not all are, and some others may be.

In no real order

Jacksonville State
James Madison
Coastal Carolina
NDSU
Illinois State
Chattanooga
South Dakota State
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
Eastern Washington

Can we remove Northern Iowa? Not happening.

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2015, 09:02 AM

That makes no sense. Why would we wait until the playoffs to add them? They played Jax St tough and are playing well. They showed they could compete in the playoffs last year.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to add Dayton

and Princeton.

#DartinAround
#BreakingtheRulesAndJoiningThePlayoffs

clawman
October 12th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Portland State will have an impact on the playoff picture before the season is over.

BEAR
October 12th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Looking at some of the playoff possibilities, I have a question for you guys.

Would you rather have your tough block of conference games at the beginning of the season or at the end?

UNIFanSince1983

Would you rather have your tough block of conference games at the beginning of the season or at the end?

I'll tell you after this season ;)

RootinFerDukes
Not to pump up the NDSU posters on here, but I honestly can't see any team winning a national title that isn't named North Dakota State UNTIL North Dakota State is no longer in the playoffs.

Daytripper
October 12th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Not to pump up the NDSU posters on here, but I honestly can't see any team winning a national title that isn't named North Dakota State UNTIL North Dakota State is no longer in the playoffs.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5hHy4i1YoiyIw/giphy.gif

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2015, 09:20 AM

It seems to be hurting UNI, literally and in the standings.

Cocky
October 12th, 2015, 09:33 AM

In no real order

Jacksonville State
James Madison
Coastal Carolina
NDSU
Illinois State
Chattanooga
South Dakota State
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
Eastern Washington

McNeese
Portland St
EKU

clenz
October 12th, 2015, 10:07 AM
It seems to be hurting UNI, literally and in the standings.
Agreed.

I'm as down as anyone on UNI, but the reality is any other team (sans NDSU and ISUr...maybe) playing the same schedule UNI has so far wouldn't have fared much better - if at all.

Poly just took out EWU - UNI beat both...Poly on the road
1 score losses on the road at ISUr and at NDSU in consecutive weeks is something almost no team could pull off. Look at how SDSU managed NDSU in Brookings.
FBS loss was bad, I'll grant that.

UNI has as much, or more talent, at every position (sans QB) as any team in the nation as groups.
If Farley would let the offense be and do what they want/need UNI is a damn dangerous team.

There aren't many teams that are going to put a ton of points up against UNI. I don't think we see a team exceed what EWU and NDSU did (likely the two best offenses we see all year).

The **** part is we will get sent to NDSU or ISUr again come playoff time.

Oh...we are also going to October 17th - week 7 - and UNI has played ONE home game so far this year.

6 games left and 4 at home. One of the road games is Missouri State.

I see 5-1 to finish the year.

msupokes1
October 12th, 2015, 10:10 AM
McNeese
Portland St
EKU

Please don't put McNeese on a list like this yet. We have not played anyone except SLU and to be honest I am not really sure how good they are yet. D looks good but there is a lot of season left to play. We have not won a playoff game in 13 years. It is unimaginable to think we could win multiple in one season. HA

dystopiamembrane
October 12th, 2015, 10:12 AM
McNeese
Portland St
EKU

Portland State is not a legit national title contender.

Daytripper
October 12th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Please don't put McNeese on a list like this yet. We have not played anyone except SLU and to be honest I am not really sure how good they are yet. D looks good but there is a lot of season left to play. We have not won a playoff game in 13 years. It is unimaginable to think we could win multiple in one season. HA

You guys should still be undefeated when SHSU shows up on November 7th. That'll be a fun game.

McNeese75
October 12th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Last year the week 6 AGS poll (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?161546-AGS-Poll-Results-Week-6-2014) had McNeese St at #5 and Southern Illinois at #8. Both those teams ended the season with 6 wins and out of the playoffs altogether. On the other side Sam Houston St wasn't even in the top 40 at that time. There's a lot of season yet and the teams that are contending for a national title are likely to change a lot by the time it comes for teams to actually contend for a national title.

The Professor nailed it. Way to many games left and unfortunately injuries to happen to be making these calls now.

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2015, 10:16 AM

Cal Poly lost to EWU.

REALBird
October 12th, 2015, 10:16 AM
As for the rest of the list

Jacksonville State - Contender, has had one close game to UT Martin, took Auburn into overtime
James Madison - Contender, Has won by double digits in all of their games except SMU where they won by 3
Coastal Carolina - Contender, has teal turf
NDSU - Contender, plenty of championships to prove this
Illinois State - Contender, played Iowa tough, held out against UNI and YSU
Chattanooga - See above
South Dakota State - Not a Contender, Has won good games so far this season but was defeated by NDSU, can they win if they face them again in the playoffs? Probably not
Youngstown State - Not a Contender, while they have only lost against Pitt and Illinois State, currently I don't see them winning out against these other teams
Northern Iowa - Not a Contender, has lost to Illinois State, NDSU, and probably will lose 1 or 2 more this season
Eastern Washington - Possibly a Contender but not really, usually a strong team but have had very close games so far

Illinois State @ Iowa wasn't even close. We scored late to make the score look good against the 3rd stringers. BUT.....Iowa is still 6-0 and ranked, so it wasn't as bad a loss as many keep punishing us for in the rankings.

Cocky
October 12th, 2015, 10:19 AM

Portland State is not a legit national title contender.

As deserving as others on the list.

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2015, 10:21 AM

Because they beat two FBS programs? They lost to UND. If you guys had lost to UT-M would you think you were a contender?

BisonTru
October 12th, 2015, 10:21 AM

Beginning. Ask YSU fans. Losing at the end of your season can leave you parked on the sidelines come selection time. It's also not great for team confidence.

BisonTru
October 12th, 2015, 10:30 AM
t

UNI to Fargo is actually a plane trip, so it's not as attractive of a pairing for the committee as one might believe. Much more likely you guys head to Normal. And I'm just fine not seeing your guys defense front again this year.

dystopiamembrane
October 12th, 2015, 10:39 AM
That is an untruth, sir. We do not have the strength of an NDSU or a Jacksonville State or an Eastern Washington for that matter.

Cocky
October 12th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Because they beat two FBS programs? They lost to UND. If you guys had lost to UT-M would you think you were a contender?

Not real sure we are?
After watching half of a season, Im not sure any team isnt a contender this year.

FormerPokeCenter
October 12th, 2015, 11:15 AM
At this point in the year, the 2002 Western Kentucky Hilltoppers were 3-3, and had just gotten rolled 38-13 by McNeese.

By the time the title game rolled around, they had gone undefeated since the loss to the Cowboys and turned the tables in the Championship game, 34-14...

The takeaway from this?

There's a whole lotta football left to be played before the playoffs...

UNHWildcat18
October 12th, 2015, 11:24 AM
The soon to be 11-0 Jacksonville Dolphins!

tomq04
October 12th, 2015, 11:32 AM
EWU is still missing a lot of starters even after a bye week, until they can get 2 senior OL back I have a hard time believing they are contenders. Semi-final loss at home? Maybe.

URMite
October 12th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Beginning. Ask YSU fans. Losing at the end of your season can leave you parked on the sidelines come selection time. It's also not great for team confidence.

Depends on your team. If 24 of your 44 two deep haven't seen the field before having the tough games at the end may not be so bad.

ngineer
October 12th, 2015, 11:43 AM

In no real order

Jacksonville State
James Madison
Coastal Carolina
NDSU
Illinois State
Chattanooga
South Dakota State
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
Eastern Washington

I think the top five have shown separation at this point. Others more darkhorses.

Bam
October 12th, 2015, 11:50 AM
McNeese
Portland St
EKU

EKU? Tough upcoming road schedule!! Amazing talent on both sides of the ball and Mobley is finally healthy.

McNeese72
October 12th, 2015, 02:10 PM

Yeah, we still haven't beaten anybody decent yet.

Doc

LeeshaJo
October 12th, 2015, 03:14 PM

When does the 'not tough' portion of the MVFC start?

Thumper 76
October 12th, 2015, 03:17 PM
When does the 'not tough' portion of the MVFC start?

Kickoff at USD and MSU

Thumper 76
October 12th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I think we need to wait a couple weeks to see how Taryn does for SDSU vs some of the tougher defenses of the conference at YSU and against UNI before calling them a contender. I personally think the injury to Lujan was only part of the reason they pulled his redshirt after the NDSU game. After seeing what happened to State vs the bison I think the staff saw that we need another dimension from our QB in order to be at the level we want to be at this year and saw in TC. We shall see if that decision pays off. If when Lujan comes back they start the dual qb junk that UNI does (no offense guys) Im going to lose my mind however.

eiu1999
October 12th, 2015, 03:31 PM

In no real order

Jacksonville State
James Madison
Coastal Carolina
NDSU
Illinois State
Chattanooga
South Dakota State
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
Eastern Washington

Not a bad start, not sure abouit Coastal, SDSU and UNI.

Hammerhead
October 12th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Portland State? I'm still not sure how good UND is so maybe that loss isn't so bad.

eiu1999
October 12th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Portland State? I'm still not sure how good UND is so maybe that loss isn't so bad.

You're right they should be included.

kalm
October 12th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Agreed.

I'm as down as anyone on UNI, but the reality is any other team (sans NDSU and ISUr...maybe) playing the same schedule UNI has so far wouldn't have fared much better - if at all.

1 score losses on the road at ISUr and at NDSU in consecutive weeks is something almost no team could pull off. Look at how SDSU managed NDSU in Brookings.
FBS loss was bad, I'll grant that.

UNI has as much, or more talent, at every position (sans QB) as any team in the nation as groups.
If Farley would let the offense be and do what they want/need UNI is a damn dangerous team.

There aren't many teams that are going to put a ton of points up against UNI. I don't think we see a team exceed what EWU and NDSU did (likely the two best offenses we see all year).

Oh...we are also going to October 17th - week 7 - and UNI has played ONE home game so far this year.

6 games left and 4 at home. One of the road games is Missouri State.

I see 5-1 to finish the year.

Poly took us out? We should have lost and you guys looked way better against them but to echo FPC's comments we got destroyed by MSU in week 4 of the 2010 season.

Loads of ball left. Time for teams to improve. I'd list UNI as a contender still.

MR. CHICKEN
October 12th, 2015, 06:42 PM
xcoolx....SAM HOUSTON STATE.......KEELER WILL HAVE DUH B'KATS....COOKIN' WHIFF GAS....BAH SEASONS END.......MOST UH LAST YEARS SQWAD BACK....AN' KC...KNOWS HOW TA WIN IN PLAY-OFFS.........xcoolx........FIRE BROCK!

JALMOND
October 12th, 2015, 08:51 PM

Hold off on Portland State until the end of October. We are going to need 4 more wins for consideration and, with our schedule noted below, that is going to be tough in itself.

MSU
at Cal Poly
Montana
at Northern Colorado
Southern Utah
at EWU.

I see 1 definite (UNC), two possibly (Poly, SUU) and three questions (MSU, UM, EWU). Its going to be tough.

kalm
October 12th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Hold off on Portland State until the end of October. We are going to need 4 more wins for consideration and, with our schedule noted below, that is going to be tough in itself.

MSU
at Cal Poly
Montana
at Northern Colorado
Southern Utah
at EWU.

I see 1 definite (UNC), two possibly (Poly, SUU) and three questions (MSU, UM, EWU). Its going to be tough.

SUU might be as tough as the last three.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 12th, 2015, 09:18 PM

MSU
at Cal Poly
Montana
at Northern Colorado
Southern Utah
at EWU.

That's schedule isn't easy but it's not brutally tough at this point. Montana and MSU are fringe Top 25 teams at this point and Vikings gets them at home. There's no back-2-back roadies. I think 4-2 is definitely doable.....

They could be a contender if they finish 8-3 and receive a favorable draw. The way the bracket breaks and who buys home games matters a lot...

JALMOND
October 12th, 2015, 09:49 PM

SUU will be as tough as any. Poly also won't be easy. And if we don't offer a sacrifice to the weather gods, we could be facing wind, snow and ice in Greeley in November.

dudeitsaid
October 12th, 2015, 11:46 PM

And Poly.

Also, I think with the two FBS wins, depending on the field, PSU would likely be the first 7 win at large taken...unless they ended the season on a three game skid.

Daytripper
October 13th, 2015, 08:41 AM
xcoolx....SAM HOUSTON STATE.......KEELER WILL HAVE DUH B'KATS....COOKIN' WHIFF GAS....BAH SEASONS END.......MOST UH LAST YEARS SQWAD BACK....AN' KC...KNOWS HOW TA WIN IN PLAY-OFFS.........xcoolx........FIRE BROCK!

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to look like a homer.

Bill
October 13th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Who wouldn't like to look like a Homer?
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21468&stc=1Almost like Touchdown Jesus

Daytripper
October 13th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Who wouldn't like to look like a Homer?
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21468&stc=1Almost like Touchdown Jesus

Unfortunately, I look quite a bit like Homer.

katstrapper
October 14th, 2015, 06:21 AM

SHSU isn't a national title contender at moment. They have several tough road games still ahead and I need to see how they perform in those games before I can make an opinion. It all starts this weekend in Abilene with ACU. This is going to be a tough game, but if Kats can put up a performance like last weekend, ACU will be left in the dust.

Lehigh'98
October 14th, 2015, 08:13 AM
No one wants to hear this, but if NDSU gets home field in playoffs, you can pencil them in the NC game. At this point, only ISUr, JMU, UNI would have a shot. I don't think Jax St and CCU have the horses to score enough to beat them.

tomq04
October 14th, 2015, 10:45 AM
SHSU isn't a national title contender at moment. They have several tough road games still ahead and I need to see how they perform in those games before I can make an opinion. It all starts this weekend in Abilene with ACU. This is going to be a tough game, but if Kats can put up a performance like last weekend, ACU will be left in the dust.

Is that ball girl going to be on the sidelines cheering for ACU?

jacksfan29
October 14th, 2015, 11:14 AM
At this point in the season it is fairly clear. That could change, my responses

Jacksonville State - no
James Madison - yes
Coastal Carolina - no
NDSU - definitely
Illinois State - yes
Chattanooga - no
South Dakota State - no, will have to beat NDSU to get there.
Youngstown State - no
Northern Iowa - maybe, they have to get into the playoffs first
Eastern Washington - maybe

Portland - no
EKU - no
William and Mary - better shot than Coastal or JSU
Anyone else - no

Right now it is down to three, maybe 4. NDSU, ISUr, JMU, with EWU as an outside shot. All this could change in 2 or 3 weeks. Someone will likely step up and go on a roll. The only thing is that team will need to be able to physically stand up to NDSU, ISUr or be able to keep up offensively with JMU or EWU.

One thing to remember about SDSU. We got hammered by NDSU in the Marker game last year. In the playoffs we had them down with just over a minute to play. Had we held on ISUr would have likely won the national title. Just saying, anything can happen in the MVFC.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 14th, 2015, 11:17 AM
No particular order:

JMU
Ill State
Jax State
NDSU
UNI

Big_Fan
October 14th, 2015, 02:35 PM
At this point in the season it is fairly clear. That could change, my responses

Jacksonville State - no
James Madison - yes
Coastal Carolina - no
NDSU - definitely
Illinois State - yes
Chattanooga - no
South Dakota State - no, will have to beat NDSU to get there.
Youngstown State - no
Northern Iowa - maybe, they have to get into the playoffs first
Eastern Washington - maybe

Portland - no
EKU - no
William and Mary - better shot than Coastal or JSU
Anyone else - no

Right now it is down to three, maybe 4. NDSU, ISUr, JMU, with EWU as an outside shot. All this could change in 2 or 3 weeks. Someone will likely step up and go on a roll. The only thing is that team will need to be able to physically stand up to NDSU, ISUr or be able to keep up offensively with JMU or EWU.

One thing to remember about SDSU. We got hammered by NDSU in the Marker game last year. In the playoffs we had them down with just over a minute to play. Had we held on ISUr would have likely won the national title. Just saying, anything can happen in the MVFC.

I am trying to understand how Bill & Mary stands a better shot than Coastal or JSU. The same Bill and Mary that lost to Delaware...who lost 0-20 to Rhode Island the following week. That Bill & Mary? I am just trying to understand the logic. Maybe you are giving them credit for beating an uncharacteristically mediocre Nova team. Stony Brook? 1-5 Lafayette? I don't see why they are in the discussion until they get through UNH and JMU. They will have 3-4 losses on the season.

Coastal has a better resume. They had relatively close games against Furman, WIU, and the Blue Hose, but they won... and UTC? They demolished the Furman team that held their own against Coastal. I can definitely see UTC in the discussion before W&M.

JSU had a 28 point blowout turn into a close game in the 4th, when the 4th team gave up 3 TD's to UTM. Other than that, they have performed well. The UTM game was a bit anomalous, as the entire front four for JSU were out with injuries (seriously, all 4 starters were out), and a couple others were nicked up as well. Only one of the DL is out for the season. An easy win against MVSU, and a bye week, have given people a chance to heal.
If (and it is a big if) we stay healthy, we can beat anyone - on any given Saturday. I am not saying we will win it all, but the team that played UTC, Auburn, and TSU, is capable.

EKU looks pretty good as well. My concern with them is that they have had games in recent years where they didn't show up. They have a strange schedule so far. They played us tough last year at their place. I am glad we get them in Jacksonville this season.

Not sold on EWU. Their Sac State game looks worse than JSU's game at UTM. They haven't won convincingly in a single game, and it isn't like every team they have played was great.

Portland is interesting. They laid an egg against UND, but looked like contenders several times this season. They get a shot at EWU to end the season.

I would say ISUr - no. OT to beat EIU? EIU will probably win out until they get to JSU, but it wouldn't surprise me if they drop all 3 to JSU, EKU, and UTM. The rest of your schedule sets up pretty nicely (no NDSU), but I think SDSU will probably hand it to you (though I question a 24 point win over RM at home - we joked about EKU only winning by 19 at RM last year).

All of that to say, nobody stands out as being unbeatable. JMU has looked strong. The FCS is wide open this season. NDSU doesn't look indestructible, but to be the man, you have to beat the man - when it counts.

BEAR
October 14th, 2015, 03:01 PM

Sigh. No its not. Not even close. xcoffeex

Herder
October 14th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Can we remove Northern Iowa? Not happening.

Let's see, you want to remove Northern Iowa, but your OK with EWU, who they beat? UNI will end up 8-3 or 7-4, and will be in . . . or at least they should be. What would EWU's record be with UNI's schedule? UNI could sleepwalk to the BSC title.

If you have UNI in your playoff bracket, good luck with that.

clenz
October 14th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Let's see, you want to remove Northern Iowa, but your OK with EWU, who they beat? UNI will end up 8-3 or 7-4, and will be in . . . or at least they would be. What would EWU's record be with UNI's schedule? UNI could sleepwalk to the BSC title.
UNI will also get sent to Normal or Fargo in the round of 16

UNI is 8-18 all time in Normal and just 4-8 since 1994 and have lost 4 of the last 5 and 3 in a row in Normal.

UNI is 1-3 in the FargoDome since NDSU joined the MVFC, and has lost the last 3

Unless something crazy happens and UNI avoids Illinois State, North Dakota State and likely SDSU on the road there's zero reason to believe UNI wins the title. I think UNI can, beat pretty much every other team in the nation and outside of the DSU's and ISUr, based on what I've seen this year, would/should be favored in those games. The issue is we are too far west to avoid playing ISUr, NDSU, SDSU and the Big Sky in the playoffs.

Redbird 13
October 14th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Bison
Dukes
Gamecocks
Redbirds

clenz
October 14th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Also...LOL at an OVC team being a true national title contender.

dudeitsaid
October 14th, 2015, 11:31 PM
I don't think EWU is currently a contender. We need a stronger defense, and a more consistent running game. Outside of the windstorm during the Cal Poly game, in fair conditions, our passing game is probably the best in the FCS. If Shaq Hill was healthy, we'd have six recievers that would start for almost every FCS team. But we can't win it on the passing game alone.

Big_Fan
October 15th, 2015, 01:10 AM
Also...LOL at an OVC team being a true national title contender.

Based on history...

...and based on history it is more likely than any MVFC team not named NDSU or YSU. It has been almost 20 years since Youngstown. The only current MVFC teams to win it all in the past 30 years are those two, and Youngstown ain't what it used to be.

clenz
October 15th, 2015, 03:16 AM
The MVFC has a long history of winning post season games

The OVC does not

clenz
October 15th, 2015, 08:26 AM
The MVFC has been around for 34 playoffs. Has received 62 bids and is is 76-54 (58%) for those 130 games.

The OVC has been around for all 37 playoffs, has a total of 56 bids and is 28-84 (34%) in those 82 games.

The MVFC has the second best win % all time in the playoffs, behind only the SoCon. The SoCon got a MAJOR boost from GSU in the 90s and ASU in the 00s. Outside of those two the SoCon actually has a pretty poor record.

You're cut off also is conveniently placed to ignore the Southern Illinois title - though it took place in the Mid-Con, the Mid-Con would turn into the Gateway just 1 season later.

I think, what's even more damming (and helps my case) is if we take the OVC since 1992

0-2
4-3
0-1
0-2
0-2
0-1
0-1
0-2
0-2
0-1
0-1
0-1
0-2
0-1
1-2
0-1
0-1
0-1
1-2
0-2
1-2
0-1
0-1

Since 92 the OVC is 7-35, which is a 16% win %. 2013 is an interesting year to look at, too. The OVC picked up one of their wins against ANOTHER OVC TEAM, and one against a PFL team. I will grant the McNeese State game as an okay win...but we need to remember McNeese was also beaten 41-7 by Southeastern Louisana and 41-6 by a UNI team that finished 3-5 in the MVFC (and could have won that game 70-6 if they had wanted too)

The MVFC has had 4 different teams win a title from it. NDSU, YSU, WKU and SIU

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Based on history...

...and based on history it is more likely than any MVFC team not named NDSU or YSU. It has been almost 20 years since Youngstown. The only current MVFC teams to win it all in the past 30 years are those two, and Youngstown ain't what it used to be.

Weird because only 1 OVC team has EVER even been in the National Championship game. The last time was 1982...

Since then a current member of the MVFC has been in the Championship game 13 times including having TWO teams in the finals last year. I think history says an OVC team being a title contender is very very unlikely...

chattownmocs
October 15th, 2015, 08:38 AM
You guys are really arguing that its not possible for Jacksonville state to be a contender because they are in the OVC? You do realize how lame that is, right?

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2015, 08:41 AM
You guys are really arguing that its not possible for Jacksonville state to be a contender because they are in the OVC? You do realize how lame that is, right?

They've already beaten Chattanooga and darn near beat an SEC team. Seems pretty legitimate to me.

chattownmocs
October 15th, 2015, 08:50 AM
They've already beaten Chattanooga and darn near beat an SEC team. Seems pretty legitimate to me.

They think the top 5 or 6 teams in the country are from the mvfc and the next few after that are any teams who have given them a tough game in recent years.

While the mvfc is clearly the best conference by far they have taken it to a point that's way beyond the arrogance of even the SEC a few years ago.

REALBird
October 15th, 2015, 09:05 AM
UNI will also get sent to Normal or Fargo in the round of 16

UNI is 8-18 all time in Normal and just 4-8 since 1994 and have lost 4 of the last 5 and 3 in a row in Normal.

UNI is 1-3 in the FargoDome since NDSU joined the MVFC, and has lost the last 3

Unless something crazy happens and UNI avoids Illinois State, North Dakota State and likely SDSU on the road there's zero reason to believe UNI wins the title. I think UNI can, beat pretty much every other team in the nation and outside of the DSU's and ISUr, based on what I've seen this year, would/should be favored in those games. The issue is we are too far west to avoid playing ISUr, NDSU, SDSU and the Big Sky in the playoffs.

So would you be in favor of seeding the entire 24 team field? Highest seed host regardless of attendance, fans, Thanksgiving break, weather, or any of the other crap people complain about? The way I figure it, regionalization bastardizes the playoffs and eliminates strong teams from each conference by putting them up against each other in early rounds. It's the friggin' playoffs. If you're participating, then you understand you may lose money based on all the other factors above.

Plus, if you want to grow the FCS beyond it's regional alliances, and showcase some of the best teams......I'd like to see EWU go play @ Coastal, or Chattanooga go play at Montana State. Getting coaches and media writers from different areas of the country to do more than read the box scores and voting would be a good thing.

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2015, 09:14 AM

Considering JSU was the 3 seed last year, and had a home game against SHSU and and lost by 11. I am a little skeptical about their promise as a NC contender. They could very well be really good and win it this year because of the dearth of great teams, but I am skeptical until they can prove me wrong.

clenz
October 15th, 2015, 09:17 AM
So would you be in favor of seeding the entire 24 team field? Highest seed host regardless of attendance, fans, Thanksgiving break, weather, or any of the other crap people complain about? The way I figure it, regionalization bastardizes the playoffs and eliminates strong teams from each conference by putting them up against each other in early rounds. It's the friggin' playoffs. If you're participating, then you understand you may lose money based on all the other factors above.

Plus, if you want to grow the FCS beyond it's regional alliances, and showcase some of the best teams......I'd like to see EWU go play @ Coastal, or Chattanooga go play at Montana State. Getting coaches and media writers from different areas of the country to do more than read the box scores and voting would be a good thing.
I would love a true seeding. It will never happen. We would then spend 3 months discussing why Team A was given a 14 seed rather than a 16 seed

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2015, 09:33 AM

I would love a true seeding. It will never happen. We would then spend 3 months discussing why Team A was given a 14 seed rather than a 16 seed
That decision depends on how much money the NCAA, and by extension NCAA member schools, are willing to lose on the FCS playoffs. I believe with the most recent playoff formats most years they end up in the red but it's not a huge amount and I think even some years they've even ended up slightly in the black. The NCAA's mentality, by the way I perceive it, is that we could seed everyone and reduce the playoff field (perhaps cut it in half from the current field), or leave some teams unseeded to increase revenue and have expanded playoffs like we do today.

If I had to choose between the two, which I think we'd have to unless the NCAA's membership changes their mentality about $$$ (which ain't likely), I like the expanded format. I think allowing more teams to compete in the championship tournament is a good thing and I think it will be very rare that the champion doesn't come out of the top 8 seeds, who are all seeded and get home games with minimum bids against lower/un-seeded teams, so I like the format where it's at given the financial constraints the FCS championship has to work under.

jacksfan29
October 15th, 2015, 09:53 AM

Would love to see everyone seeded, won't happen under the current FCS format. I'm still hoping for a split, lower level FCS move down to D2 or D3 (non-scholarship) while the upper tier move up and join the G5.

Pipe dream? Considering the NCAA's history; yep. Instead we get regionalization and auto bids for non-scholarship schools and schools that aren't willing to fully fund FB.

Oh, I agree with the boys from UNI; no way an OVC wins a title anytime soon. I still recall that amazing EIU team that was going to make some serious noise in the playoffs. High ranking, three very talented players including a QB who is now in the NFL. What happened? They got pounded by a MVFC school (mine). OVC schools have some very good players, but when it comes right down to it the depth isn't there.

Oh, and about UTC. Have they won a playoff game in the past decade? I'm truly asking, too lazy to look it up.

parr90
October 15th, 2015, 10:00 AM
I think in order for someone to beat NDST they need to get them away from that dome. Im not big on home field advantage, but that dome is no doubt an advantage for them. They are a good team anywhere but they are very good in that dome.

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2015, 10:04 AM
I still recall that amazing EIU team that was going to make some serious noise in the playoffs. High ranking, three very talented players including a QB who is now in the NFL. What happened? They got pounded by a MVFC school (mine), who got hammered by the top BSC school a week later.
Your team didn't get hammered by a BSC team after that EIU game ;)

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Would love to see everyone seeded, won't happen under the current FCS format. I'm still hoping for a split, lower level FCS move down to D2 or D3 (non-scholarship) while the upper tier move up and join the G5.

Pipe dream? Considering the NCAA's history; yep. Instead we get regionalization and auto bids for non-scholarship schools and schools that aren't willing to fully fund FB.

Oh, I agree with the boys from UNI; no way an OVC wins a title anytime soon. I still recall that amazing EIU team that was going to make some serious noise in the playoffs. High ranking, three very talented players including a QB who is now in the NFL. What happened? They got pounded by a MVFC school (mine), who got hammered by the top BSC school a week later. OVC schools have some very good players, but when it comes right down to it the depth isn't there.

Oh, and about UTC. Have they won a playoff game in the past decade? I'm truly asking, too lazy to look it up.

They beat ISUb last year.

clenz
October 15th, 2015, 10:25 AM
They beat ISUb last year.
The 5th place mvfc program

Big_Fan
October 15th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Considering JSU was the 3 seed last year, and had a home game against SHSU and and lost by 11. I am a little skeptical about their promise as a NC contender. They could very well be really good and win it this year because of the dearth of great teams, but I am skeptical until they can prove me wrong.

SHSU was an 11 win team last year, and beat Nova at their place the following week. We outgained them by over 100 yards, but couldn't get out of our own way in the second half, failing to get a 4th down conversion, and throwing an INT inside their 10 yard line. They beat us, but we helped.

The positive is, pretty much our entire team from last season returned. 9 offensive starters are back, and the defense (when at full strength) is improved - second year in the system, more depth and experience...

Like I said, we may not win it all... I am not saying that we are a shoe-in... but to say that we are not a contender based on your criteria is ridiculous. I do think being in the OVC hurts us because we have too many cream puff teams during the regular season. We had the better team against SHSU, but we didn't have the fortitude built on a solid conference slate.Most JSU fans would prefer playing better opposition on a weekly basis...teams that would pull our best out of us.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 15th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Oh, I agree with the boys from UNI; no way an OVC wins a title anytime soon. I still recall that amazing EIU team that was going to make some serious noise in the playoffs. High ranking, three very talented players including a QB who is now in the NFL. What happened? They got pounded by a MVFC school (mine), who got hammered by the top BSC school a week later. OVC schools have some very good players, but when it comes right down to it the depth isn't there.

You went to Towson? xeyebrowx

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/14/towson-tigers-eastern-illinois-eiu-panthers-fcs-playoff-terrance-west/4021191/

centennial
October 15th, 2015, 10:37 AM
The 5th place mvfc program
They were very lucky last year. Everything went right, IMO they were the 6th-7th MVFC. Chatt would be a good MVFC team, probably top 4. I don't see them beating NDSU, ISUr, UNI and not sure if they beat SDSU, SIU, WIU.

clenz
October 15th, 2015, 10:41 AM
They were very lucky last year. Everything went right, IMO they were the 6th-7th MVFC. Chatt would be a good MVFC team, probably top 4. I don't see them beating NDSU, ISUr, UNI and not sure if they beat SDSU, SIU, WIU.
ISUb was crazy lucky last year.

A reverse double pass to beat UNI by 1
That trick kick return to beat MSU by 2
A field goal in OT to beat YSU by 3

That's 3 of their 4 conference wins by a combined 6 points..all in the final combined 4 minutes, plus OT.

jacksfan29
October 15th, 2015, 10:53 AM
2012, when the "crew" were juniors and were OVC champions.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/undefined

You went to Towson? xeyebrowx

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/14/towson-tigers-eastern-illinois-eiu-panthers-fcs-playoff-terrance-west/4021191/

Cocky
October 15th, 2015, 10:57 AM
The MVFC has been around for 34 playoffs. Has received 62 bids and is is 76-54 (58%) for those 130 games.

The OVC has been around for all 37 playoffs, has a total of 56 bids and is 28-84 (34%) in those 82 games.

The MVFC has the second best win % all time in the playoffs, behind only the SoCon. The SoCon got a MAJOR boost from GSU in the 90s and ASU in the 00s. Outside of those two the SoCon actually has a pretty poor record.

You're cut off also is conveniently placed to ignore the Southern Illinois title - though it took place in the Mid-Con, the Mid-Con would turn into the Gateway just 1 season later.

I think, what's even more damming (and helps my case) is if we take the OVC since 1992

0-2
4-3
0-1
0-2
0-2
0-1
0-1
0-2
0-2
0-1
0-1
0-1
0-2
0-1
1-2
0-1
0-1
0-1
1-2
0-2
1-2
0-1
0-1

Since 92 the OVC is 7-35, which is a 16% win %. 2013 is an interesting year to look at, too. The OVC picked up one of their wins against ANOTHER OVC TEAM, and one against a PFL team. I will grant the McNeese State game as an okay win...but we need to remember McNeese was also beaten 41-7 by Southeastern Louisana and 41-6 by a UNI team that finished 3-5 in the MVFC (and could have won that game 70-6 if they had wanted too)

The MVFC has had 4 different teams win a title from it. NDSU, YSU, WKU and SIU

Our state has won several national championships in the past years. How many has Iowa won? Would this eliminate UNI from consideration? Didnt FSU win a NC a few years back? The ACC sucks and they are NC contenders. Look just last year at Ohio State winning from the Big Ten.

I dont have much knowledge of OVC history since we have been members for not too long. The OVC has sucked since we have been members. JSU also had Jack Crowe as a coach for most of those years, without Jack we are a much better team. Are we National Champion material? I say no until we win it but I would also say most of the other teams listed are in the same category.

chattownmocs
October 15th, 2015, 10:59 AM
ISUb was crazy lucky last year.

A reverse double pass to beat UNI by 1
That trick kick return to beat MSU by 2
A field goal in OT to beat YSU by 3

That's 3 of their 4 conference wins by a combined 6 points..all in the final combined 4 minutes, plus OT.

Chattanooga beat them by more than anyone in the "vaunted" mvfc.

Bisonator
October 15th, 2015, 11:03 AM

And what did that get the Mocs? STFU! GTFO! xlolx

chattownmocs
October 15th, 2015, 11:11 AM
And what did that get the Mocs? STFU! GTFO! xlolx

Unfortunately, we got the 8 seed instead of the 7.

But its 2015, NDSUs D has regressed even more. Last year it wasn't near 2013 and now it is a shell of that D.

BEAR
October 15th, 2015, 11:17 AM
http://gifsoup.com/view5/2837510/michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

Thumper 76
October 15th, 2015, 11:35 AM

But its 2015, NDSUs D has regressed even more. Last year it wasn't near 2013 and now it is a shell of that D.

As a SDSU fan, I beg to differ.

BisonBacker
October 15th, 2015, 11:35 AM

And Chatty would still get pounded into oblivion against us xlolx

centennial
October 15th, 2015, 11:51 AM

The fact is that we are still a better team and ranked above you. This with losing a lot of the starters on D. You might be great in the southern, but for us you are no better than a top half MVFC team. When that changes, and you can beat teams like JSU, we will take you seriously.

Cocky
October 15th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Didnt EIU play a close game with ISUr and didnt SEMO play SIU a close game?

Bisonator
October 15th, 2015, 12:00 PM

And yet we are still better the Chatty! STFU! GTFO! xlolx

Bisonator
October 15th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Didnt EIU play a close game with ISUr and didnt SEMO play SIU a close game?

Moral victories?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22815667.jpg

Cocky
October 15th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Moral victories?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22815667.jpg

A loss to SEMO is a moral victory for SIU of the powerful MVC?

centennial
October 15th, 2015, 12:41 PM
They had 5 turnovers, and still barely lost. Also, they are 7th in the MVFC. We are also 16-3 OOC FCS if I remember correctly.

Cocky
October 15th, 2015, 12:46 PM
They had 5 turnovers, and still barely lost. Also, they are 7th in the MVFC. We are also 16-3 OOC FCS if I remember correctly.

But a Moral Victory? Maybe it should be 17-2 if you count the moral victories?

centennial
October 15th, 2015, 12:53 PM
But a Moral Victory? Maybe it should be 17-2 if you count the moral victories?
Till the OVC starts to get to round of 8 and above on a constant basis it will be hard for anyone to consider them seriously.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 15th, 2015, 12:57 PM

Hilarious

Did the NCAA send Chatty a participation ribbon for that feat?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 15th, 2015, 12:59 PM
And Chatty would still get pounded into oblivion against us xlolx

Agree!!

Bisonator
October 15th, 2015, 12:59 PM

Oops forgot SIU lost that game.xlolx

You would have been better off just using that rather then the close loss by EIU.xthumbsupx

Cocky
October 15th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Till the OVC starts to get to round of 8 and above on a constant basis it will be hard for anyone to consider them seriously.

Im not the one claiming moral victories over an OVC team? and a historically low one at that.

I could careless who takes anyone seriously as long as my team is winning.

BisonTru
October 15th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Im not the one claiming moral victories over an OVC team? and a historically low one at that.

Jax St and EKU are legit contenders, but their road would be much more difficult in the MVFC. My definition of contenders is probably a lot wider than most.

But this time last year of the final four, ISUr was tenth in the country and SHSU wasn't even ranked.

Thumper 76
October 15th, 2015, 02:34 PM

Um I think he was making fun of your claim of EIU playing Ind St close as a moral victory, but you can take it how you want. I know the OVC doesn't get a lot of W's against the MVFC so I understand ;) xlolx

Cocky
October 15th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Um I think he was making fun of your claim of EIU playing Ind St close as a moral victory, but you can take it how you want. I know the OVC doesn't get a lot of W's against the MVFC so I understand ;) xlolx

Playing a close game with ISUr is a better moral victory than playing a close game to SEMO. He forgot who won the SEMO v SIU game.

Cocky
October 15th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Jax St and EKU are legit contenders, but their road would be much more difficult in the MVFC. My definition of contenders is probably a lot wider than most.

But this time last year of the final four, ISUr was tenth in the country and SHSU wasn't even ranked.

If either could play an entire slate of quality teams their chances would be better. Hard to stay sharp when the conference only has 2 or 3 good teams every year. This only allows for 1 or 2 good games late in the schedule.

BisonTru
October 15th, 2015, 03:43 PM
If either could play an entire slate of quality teams their chances would be better. Hard to stay sharp when the conference only has 2 or 3 good teams every year. This only allows for 1 or 2 good games late in the schedule.

I'll give you this, playing better competition tends to make teams up their game and improve. However, it is also easier to lose players to injuries and add loses to your record. Easier to make the playoffs in the OVC, possibly easier to make the championship playing out of the MVFC.

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Honestly, I think UNI was hurt late in the season in 2007 when they were undefeated and played ISUb (54 loses in 55 games ISUb) and SUU (winless that season) back to back to go into the playoffs. We hadn't played a real tough team since the SIU game early October. The conference slate at that time didn't get you ready for the playoffs at all.

I think that is why the MVFC will be better in the playoffs again this year because of the strength of the league gets you ready for the tough teams you see in the playoffs.

skinny_uncle
October 15th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Playing a close game with ISUr is a better moral victory than playing a close game to SEMO. He forgot who won the SEMO v SIU game.

SEMO didn't so much win that game as SIU gave it away. 7 turnovers? Egads!!!

SeattleGriz
October 15th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Montana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wgfw8rCguw

Actually, no.

Montana has the ability, they just need weeks to prepare. Got a glimpse of what a prepared Montana could be, but most likely won't see it again this year.

centennial
October 16th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Montana

Actually, no.

Montana has the ability, they just need weeks to prepare. Got a glimpse of what a prepared Montana could be, but most likely won't see it again this year.
Your going to have to prove that the NDSU win was more than a one time thing. Most of your gambles worked out, and you burned our defense a lot. You aren't even close to as good as that game, plus teams now have tape on you. Not as easy anymore.

KUlawJack
October 16th, 2015, 02:26 AM
I feel like an SEC fan (whom I hate as a Midwesterner) being a fan of a team in the MVFC. However I recognize conference chest beating at our level means way more since we have an actual playoff. I'd have put last year's SDSU team against anyone in the playoffs and felt fine. Except the ****ing Bison in Fargo. ****ers.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2015, 05:47 AM
I feel like an SEC fan (whom I hate as a Midwesterner) being a fan of a team in the MVFC. However I recognize conference chest beating at our level means way more since we have an actual playoff. I'd have put last year's SDSU team against anyone in the playoffs and felt fine. Except the ****ing Bison in Fargo. ****ers.

Muchos besos, conejitos. Los bisontes están llegando.

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 07:24 AM
In 2 years, NDSU has gone from a dominant team with a mediocre QB, to great QB with a mediocre supporting cast. Can they still win it all? Sure, but their trash talk of blowing people out seems a little hollow and lacking in substance.

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2015, 07:49 AM
In 2 years, NDSU has gone from a dominant team with a mediocre QB, to great QB with a mediocre supporting cast. Can they still win it all? Sure, but their trash talk of blowing people out seems a little hollow and lacking in substance.
I've even heard Bison fans make the claim that Wentz has "no help" but I disagree. They have 3 solid WRs and a very good, albeit underperforming, O-line that's kept Wentz well protected most of the year. Defensively I still think they've got one of the best DT tandems in the country, a MLB who could be in the Buchanan watch list any week now, and two senior CBs with complete skill sets against the run and pass. Their weaknesses so far have been at safety and OLB which has given up more big plays this year than we're accustomed to seeing and the running game on offense hasn't been as dominant as it has been in the past (although its still pretty good averaging nearly 200 rush yards per game).

All in all Wentz and his "mediocre" supporting cast are still tops in the nation in TOP and rush defense along with being top 20 in both total defense and total offense.

clenz
October 16th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Stick is a pretty damn good QB in his own right.

It was between UNI and NDSU for him...UNI was not real happy they lost him.

Is he Wentz? No. He is every bit of Jensen though

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 07:57 AM
I've even heard Bison fans make the claim that Wentz has "no help" but I disagree. They have 3 solid WRs and a very good, albeit underperforming, O-line that's kept Wentz well protected most of the year. Defensively I still think they've got one of the best DT tandems in the country, a MLB who could be in the Buchanan watch list any week now, and two senior CBs with complete skill sets against the run and pass. Their weaknesses so far have been at safety and OLB which has given up more big plays this year than we're accustomed to seeing and the running game on offense hasn't been as dominant as it has been in the past (although its still pretty good averaging nearly 200 rush yards per game).

All in all Wentz and his "mediocre" supporting cast are still tops in the nation in TOP and rush defense along with being top 20 in both total defense and total offense.

I agree about the offensive skill players, not at all about the oline, at least in pass pro. Your defense may have the talent but it is not as disciplined as it was in the past.

Bisonator
October 16th, 2015, 08:00 AM

You trash talk more then anyone and your team hasn't done ****. EVER! STFU! GTFO!

Where have Bison fans been trash talking about blowing anyone out?

Bisonator
October 16th, 2015, 08:01 AM
I agree about the offensive skill players, not at all about the oline, at least in pass pro. Your defense may have the talent but it is not as disciplined as it was in the past.

No Bison fan will argue with you on that, they are young and inexperienced. We all knew that coming into this season. Any more insight you'd like to share???

Southern Bison
October 16th, 2015, 08:07 AM
You trash talk more then anyone and your team hasn't done ****. EVER! STFU! GTFO!

Where have Bison fans been trash talking about blowing anyone out?
C'mon Man! Don't you remember all those National Championships that Chattanooga...

...HOSTED?

Chattown, the goal is to HOIST the trophy...not host.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 08:18 AM
The goal now is to win the 2015 national championship trophy. The fact is that NDSU has played 2 huge games against a 3-3 and a 2-3 team. One was a season opener on national tv, the other was a revenge game from a blowout loss last year. They are 1-1 with an even point differential in those games.

UNIFanSince1983
October 16th, 2015, 08:25 AM
The ONE tough game Chattanooga has played thus far they lost. The only beat some team called Mars Hill by 10 and you are smack talking NDSU for losing to Montana in a game a week before anyone is used to playing? Did you forget about them beating a Top 10 team by 21 points AT their place?

Get out of here with your delusional crap...

Redbird Ray
October 16th, 2015, 08:27 AM
The top of the OVC is much improved in recent years, but the conference still lacks depth when compared to the MVFC.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if a team like Jax St, EKU, or EIU made a run to the final 4 this year. Even SEMO has some pretty competitive results this year. That said, teams like SIU, SDSU, UNI, and WIU would also probably finish in the top 3 of the OVC this season.

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 08:31 AM
The ONE tough game Chattanooga has played thus far they lost. The only beat some team called Mars Hill by 10 and you are smack talking NDSU for losing to Montana in a game a week before anyone is used to playing? Did you forget about them beating a Top 10 team by 21 points AT their place?

Get out of here with your delusional crap...

That's your opinion. I don't see any evidence Montana is better than samford at all. Beat NDSU, 2-3 against the rest of their schedule.

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 08:33 AM
The top of the OVC is much improved in recent years, but the conference still lacks depth when compared to the MVFC.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if a team like Jax St, EKU, or EIU made a run to the final 4 this year. Even SEMO has some pretty competitive results this year. That said, teams like SIU, SDSU, UNI, and WIU would also probably finish in the top 3 of the OVC this season.

The ovc is nowhere near the mvfc. That doesn't mean that a team is disqualified from being legit because they are in that conference.

UNIFanSince1983
October 16th, 2015, 08:41 AM
That's your opinion. I don't see any evidence Montana is better than samford at all. Beat NDSU, 2-3 against the rest of their schedule.

I don't get your argument here? Lost to Montana so they are no a contender?

They have actually beat TWO top 10 teams so far this year. Who have the Mocs beat to prove they are a contender?

Bisonator
October 16th, 2015, 08:41 AM
The goal now is to win the 2015 national championship trophy. The fact is that NDSU has played 2 huge games against a 3-3 and a 2-3 team. One was a season opener on national tv, the other was a revenge game from a blowout loss last year. They are 1-1 with an even point differential in those games.

How many top 25 teams has Chatty beat? I'll hang up and listen.xcoffeex

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2015, 08:50 AM
This current Montana team is a shell of the team that beat NDSU in week 0. Look no further than their home loss to Weber St, a team that NDSU beat by 4 TDs. One could claim it's injuries or getting their new offense on tape that's started the decline but I'll say that the environment in WaGriz that day was probably one the toughest environments an FCS team could play in (including FBS environments). I was borderline shocked at the level of elation after that win from their fans and players for a program with the tradition of Montana. At the time I took it as they were excited to be "back" as a national contender. They've since fallen off from that considerably so I'm more inclined to think now that the team poured so much of themselves into that game that they peaked in their first game, which is never what you want to do.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 16th, 2015, 09:07 AM

Lol....Brock Jensen mediocre?

Keep posting....

SeattleGriz
October 16th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Your going to have to prove that the NDSU win was more than a one time thing. Most of your gambles worked out, and you burned our defense a lot. You aren't even close to as good as that game, plus teams now have tape on you. Not as easy anymore.
That was my point. I was saying that if we had enough time to prepare, but no one has that luxury now that the season has started. We will have to get consistent like everyone else.

As for no tape, your players even admitted we didn't do anything they didn't expect, they just got out executed by Montana.

If we were to play again tomorrow, it wouldn't be close. NDSU wins convincingly, especially since our 3rd string QB is starting.

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2015, 09:13 AM
That was my point. I was saying that if we had enough time to prepare, but no one has that luxury now that the season has started. We will have to get consistent like everyone else.

As for no tape, your players even admitted we didn't do anything they didn't expect, they just got out executed by Montana.
Agreed, if the same Montana team that showed up for NDSU showed up for the rest of their games, opponents with game film or not, they'd be 6-0 right now.

REALBird
October 16th, 2015, 09:18 AM

Hey I've personally witnessed the euphoric highs and lows of playing NDSU last year. Illinois State was 1:38 seconds from hoisting the trophy, but having the experience and confidence of "acting like you've been there before" NDSU rallied to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. What prepared them for this type of game? Games like the L in Missoula in August. Games like the UNI/NDSU game in Fargo. AnyGivenSaturday in the MVFC some team is going to give you their best if you don't bring your "A" game. You either lose a game you shouldn't have lost, or you elevate your game to rise to the occasion.

UNI is still a championship caliber team despite their record. They've played a pass happy EWU, a run happy Cal Poly, a smash mouth NDSU, BCS Iowa State, Illinois State. Aside from Jacksonville State's ultra competitive loss to Auburn who has since gone into the abyss. What's the best W in the OVC? EKU had that "close" loss to that football powerhouse Kentucky. EIU which somehow ALWAYS manages to be in the conference championship conversation in late November got taken to the woodshed by WIU who isn't ranked, yet played close with Illinois St.

The lack of quality games week in/week out is why some don't think the OVC can compete for a NC. The record speaks for itself based on playoff history. As good as they seem on paper, I think NDSU, UNI, ISUr, YSU and maybe SDSU can go into their house and win in November. I can't say the same for Jacksonville St. coming North and winning in any of those teams stadium.

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2015, 09:25 AM

This is classic. Chattown talking smack when his beloved Chatty hasn't done ****.

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I imagine all these vitriolic comments in the cliched fargo deadpan. Its great.

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2015, 10:06 AM
I imagine all these vitriolic comments in the cliched fargo deadpan. Its great.

When Chatty does something other than host a NC let us know. In the meantime you should go play with the kiddies and leave the football talk to the adults.

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Here's what I know about playing mvfc teams.

Chattanooga 35 Indiana State 14

Total yards

Chattanooga 503 Indiana State 178

Passing

Chattanooga 241 indiana state 151

Rushing

CHATTANOOGA 262 INDIANA STATE 27

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2015, 10:13 AM
I'm so looking forward to playoffs when Chatty gets eliminated assuming they make it and Chattown makes his yearly exit until the August 2016 xlolx

Bisonator
October 16th, 2015, 10:18 AM

Total yards

Passing

Rushing

Exactly. In other words you don't know ****!xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 16th, 2015, 10:28 AM
I'm so looking forward to playoffs when Chatty gets eliminated assuming they make it and Chattown makes his yearly exit until the August 2016 xlolx

Death / Taxes and Chatty not sniffing a NC!!

Mayville Bison
October 16th, 2015, 10:41 AM

Total yards

Passing

Rushing

That is quite an accomplishment! That should have set you up really well for the following week, right?

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 10:49 AM
That is quite an accomplishment! That should have set you up really well for the following week, right?

It really did.

New Hampshire 35 Chattanooga 30

Total yards

Chattanooga 566 New Hampshire 328

Passing

Chattanooga 335 New Hampshire 228

Rushing

Chattanooga 231 New Hampshire 100

Unfortunately they had a little more big play capability and trick plays than the mvfc.

clenz
October 16th, 2015, 10:51 AM
It really did.

New Hampshire 35 Chattanooga 30

Unfortunately they had a little more big play capability and trick plays than the mvfc.
The first part is all that matters.

UNH then lost to a MVFC team...

So...

Bisonator
October 16th, 2015, 10:55 AM
How many top 25 teams has Chatty beat? I'll hang up and listen.xcoffeex

As you said this is 2015, still waiting.....xcoffeex

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 10:58 AM
The first part is all that matters.

UNH then lost to a MVFC team...

So...

Yeah they didnt have enough gas to close Illinois State out. Its a new year though. Trust me, chattanooga is hungry to get back and finish the job. They feel they the most dominant team in the playoffs last year and let it slip away.

- - - Updated - - -

As you said this is 2015, still waiting.....xcoffeex

Ask me on Monday. We also haven't lost to anyone outside of number 1.

centennial
October 16th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Yeah they didnt have enough gas to close Illinois State out. Its a new year though. Trust me, chattanooga is hungry to get back and finish the job. They feel they the most dominant team in the playoffs last year and let it slip away.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay then. And JSU is hardly #1. Top 5 yes, #1 no.

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Watching the season premiere of Fargo btw. You guys are a trip! What an interesting biopic on that town.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay then. And JSU is hardly #1. Top 5 yes, #1 no.

They actually are ranked number 1. It wasn't an opinion.

Bisonator
October 16th, 2015, 11:05 AM

- - - Updated - - -

xlmaox

Bison56
October 16th, 2015, 11:09 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21499&stc=1

- - - Updated - - -

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Watching the season premiere of Fargo btw. You guys are a trip! What an interesting biopic on that town.

- - - Updated - - -

They actually are ranked number 1. It wasn't an opinion.

You are really dumber than I thought. http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/39522/Dumb_and_Dumber_To_39522.jpg

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2015, 11:38 AM

Oh, I agree with the boys from UNI; no way an OVC wins a title anytime soon. I still recall that amazing EIU team that was going to make some serious noise in the playoffs. High ranking, three very talented players including a QB who is now in the NFL. What happened? They got pounded by a MVFC school (mine). OVC schools have some very good players, but when it comes right down to it the depth isn't there.

Your last statement makes the rest of what you said look very ignorant.

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 11:41 AM
You are really dumber than I thought. http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/39522/Dumb_and_Dumber_To_39522.jpg

Ooohhh k then

jacksfan29
October 16th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Your last statement makes the rest of what you said look very ignorant.

It was supposed to be a joke, missed the emo. Now relax, and hope UNI doesn't go down to WIU this weekend, on Homecoming.

KPSUL
October 16th, 2015, 12:33 PM
SEMIs: SDSU @ NDSU and Chatty @ JMU

JMU vs NDSU in Frisco.

Remember, you heard it here first.

REALBird
October 16th, 2015, 01:21 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Injuries are part of the game. Losing their #1 WR was a big loss for UNH. That being said, you should have enough studs in the barn to hold a 12 point lead going into the 4Q at home. Illinois State took that game, forget that mess about not having enough gas. They had the same DEF and QB all game, so if one WR was the difference then they didn't deserve to win.

That and we had just come from Eastern Washington three time zones away to play them in their house. UNH was a good team, Illinois State was just better last year. The two most dominant teams played in the Championship game. As far as letting a game slip away.....1:38 seconds is etched in our kids brains. You lost a playoff game, we lost a championship losing to the most dominant team in the playoffs last year. NDSU.

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2015, 01:38 PM

JMU vs NDSU in Frisco.

If your going to go that far to predict make it complete man pick the winner xnodx

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2015, 01:49 PM
It was supposed to be a joke, missed the emo. Now relax, and hope UNI doesn't go down to WIU this weekend, on Homecoming.

I'm so relaxed I don't care if they go down. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

JMU vs NDSU in Frisco.

No way SDSU and NDSU don't mean until the semis unless SDSU wins out and gets a seed.

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2015, 01:56 PM
No way SDSU and NDSU don't mean until the semis unless SDSU wins out and gets a seed.
I don't think SDSU will have to win out to get a seed. If they go 9-2 (6-2) they'd be a lock for a seed, or at least they should be IMO. Similarly, with UNI's OOC schedule I think they're a seed if they win out and finish 8-3 (7-1).

UNIFanSince1983
October 16th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I don't think SDSU will have to win out to get a seed. If they go 9-2 (6-2) they'd be a lock for a seed, or at least they should be IMO. Similarly, with UNI's OOC schedule I think they're a seed if they win out and finish 8-3 (7-1).

Well we would only be 6-2 in the conference.

REALBird
October 16th, 2015, 02:02 PM

SDSU has the following schedule:

@YSU (toss up)
UNI (toss up)
@MSU (W)
ILS (toss up)
@SD (WIN)
@WIU (toss up)

with one in conference L already, you're saying they beat 3 of the 4 (YSU, ILS, UNI, WIU)

Not sure I see them pulling that off especially if they roll with a FR QB.

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Well we would only be 6-2 in the conference.
Ah yeah, good call. I still say they'd be a seed at 8-3 (with a 6 game winning streak).

SDSU has the following schedule:

@YSU (toss up)
UNI (toss up)
@MSU (W)
ILS (toss up)
@SD (WIN)
@WIU (toss up)

with one in conference L already, you're saying they beat 3 of the 4 (YSU, ILS, UNI, WIU)

Not sure I see them pulling that off especially if they roll with a FR QB.
Agreed but if they did I'd certainly put them in the top 8 teams in the country. Especially if SUU continues to represent well in the Big Sky.

TennBison
October 16th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Funny that you would say that since for the last 3-4 years we have listened to you spew more trash and BS about how your team is so great, only to watch them fall short of your claims every year.

uni88
October 16th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Lol....Brock Jensen mediocre?

Keep posting....
I thought the same thing. That comment definitely made me chuckle.

jacksfan29
October 16th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I thought the same thing. That comment definitely made me chuckle.

http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4592

yep, mediocrexrolleyesx

centennial
October 16th, 2015, 05:59 PM
http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4592

yep, mediocrexrolleyesx
I mean he wasn't NFL material BUT he was one of the top 5-10 FCS QB's in the last half decade. He is currently injured in the CFL(likely a way of keeping him). Mediocre he was not.
http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/cfl/players/player55942.html
Wentz is probably the best FCS QB since Garoppalo.

KPSUL
October 16th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Injuries are part of the game. Losing their #1 WR was a big loss for UNH. That being said, you should have enough studs in the barn to hold a 12 point lead going into the 4Q at home. Illinois State took that game, forget that mess about not having enough gas. They had the same DEF and QB all game, so if one WR was the difference then they didn't deserve to win.

That and we had just come from Eastern Washington three time zones away to play them in their house. UNH was a good team, Illinois State was just better last year. The two most dominant teams played in the Championship game. As far as letting a game slip away.....1:38 seconds is etched in our kids brains. You lost a playoff game, we lost a championship losing to the most dominant team in the playoffs last year. NDSU.

Some great match-ups in the playoffs last season, most of the games from the quarter-finals on were excellent, close games that went down to the last possession.

smallcollegefbfan
October 16th, 2015, 07:32 PM

I agree it would take an upset and while I'm not projecting there will be one, you can say the odds of UTC losing another regular season game or at least being out of the playoffs by round two is a higher probability than many of the other teams. Chatty does need to show they can win big games.

I know Citadel and UTC take pride in the last year for GSU and ASU but those two teams are certainly proving that the year was a fluke and would absolutely hammer the entire SoCon now, albeit they should since they are recruiting better players. The reason I bring that up is that the SoCon is not the same and no longer has many national titles in it. There is just 1 banner hanging in what remains in the league. The league as a whole needs to show it can get to the playoffs and win games because their top 3 programs in the last 30 years are no longer there and have taken about a dozen banners with them.

chattownmocs
October 16th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I agree it would take an upset and while I'm not projecting there will be one, you can say the odds of UTC losing another regular season game or at least being out of the playoffs by round two is a higher probability than many of the other teams. Chatty does need to show they can win big games.

I know Citadel and UTC take pride in the last year for GSU and ASU but those two teams are certainly proving that the year was a fluke and would absolutely hammer the entire SoCon now, albeit they should since they are recruiting better players. The reason I bring that up is that the SoCon is not the same and no longer has many national titles in it. There is just 1 banner hanging in what remains in the league. The league as a whole needs to show it can get to the playoffs and win games because their top 3 programs in the last 30 years are no longer there and have taken about a dozen banners with them.

I don't think that chattanooga loses before that point than ANYONE else. I don't think Georgia Southern and Appalachian State would do ANYTHING resembling hammering Chattanooga.

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Which team can legitimately line up and match up with chattanooga? There isn't one left on our schedule. Not even close.

Mercer was this close to Chatt last year...
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21501&stc=1

...and, so far, this season, Mercer is averaging a +19.5 ppg improvement in same-team margin differential in SoCon games. So, if we ignore that the Bears were just a few inches from tying the 2014 game in regulation, with momentum heading to OT, and go ahead and give Chatt the full 7 points that they squeaked by Mercer last year at home and then add the 6 point home/away swing since the game is in Macon this year, that projects to Mercer beating Chatt by 18.5 this season. Let's just call it 18. So, you're right, Chattttttown, it shouldn't even be close. You can't deny SCIENCE!

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Which team can legitimately line up and match up with chattanooga? There isn't one left on our schedule. Not even close.

I think VMI might be a tough matchup for you. xlolx

IBleedYellow
October 17th, 2015, 02:58 PM
So Chattown, how's VMI treating ya?

Twentysix
October 17th, 2015, 06:32 PM

When chattown calls it, he calls it.

centennial
October 17th, 2015, 06:36 PM
When chattown calls it, he calls it.
He surprisingly did. We are an average team with a good QB.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 17th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Not sold on EWU. Their Sac State game looks worse than JSU's game at UTM. They haven't won convincingly in a single game, and it isn't like every team they have played was great.

See 2010.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/e/eastern_washington/2010-2014_yearly_results.php

Only one blowout that season, against PSU.

dudeitsaid
October 17th, 2015, 06:55 PM
See 2010.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/e/eastern_washington/2010-2014_yearly_results.php

Only one blowout that season, against PSU.

This is what gives me hope. Would love to see us dominating. And the Eagles maintain the grit to never give up in any game, no matter what.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 17th, 2015, 07:02 PM
This is what gives me hope. Would love to see us dominating. And the Eagles maintain the grit to never give up in any game, no matter what.
As long as Baldwin is running things, we have a shot. We have the offense and grit to do it this year, but the D will need to take another step up in the second half of the season to be give us a chance to make a run past the quarters. The turnovers today were a good sign, but there needs to be consistency.

Red & Black
October 17th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Cooper Kupp is good at football:

14 receptions, 161 yards, 2 TD's
1 passing TD.
1 Punt return TD.

Twentysix
October 17th, 2015, 07:34 PM

1 passing TD.
1 Punt return TD.

Yes he is.

IBleedYellow
October 17th, 2015, 07:38 PM

1 passing TD.
1 Punt return TD.

Bah God that's a football player....

centennial
October 17th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Going with Illinois State for now, with JMU behind them. NDSU isn't a title contender, we will need to shore up the coaching, defense and let the offense play. I don't see the coaches changing the play calling.

BisonFan02
October 17th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Yup.....take NDSU off of this list. This team isn't stringing together playoff wins...may need to even make the postseason first.

BisonFan02
October 17th, 2015, 07:53 PM
So Chattown, how's VMI treating ya?

A shade better than USD treated the Bison.......................

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Take UNI off the list of even making the playoffs. ;)

Cocky
October 17th, 2015, 08:05 PM
JSU will be one and done at best.

centennial
October 17th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Take UNI off the list of even making the playoffs. ;)
We are right behind you. We are trying to become NIU, with personnel for west coast/zone -> read option/man.

IBleedYellow
October 17th, 2015, 08:11 PM
There is some serious sandbagging going on in this thread. xrotatehx

BisonFan02
October 17th, 2015, 08:15 PM
There is some serious sandbagging going on in this thread. xrotatehx

Flip a coin.....heads NDSU makes the playoffs, tails they don't. 5 Valley games left....

Twentysix
October 17th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Flip a coin.....heads NDSU makes the playoffs, tails they don't. 5 Valley games left....

But with the currently established trend, shouldn't NDSU win all of the remaining games except for MSU?

Bisonator
October 17th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Depends on which NDSU team shows up. The team that took SDSU to the woodshed could beat anyone. The team that took the field today won't beat anyone.

citdog
October 17th, 2015, 08:18 PM
I don't think The Citadel is going to finish 8th in the SoCon.

centennial
October 17th, 2015, 08:20 PM
I agree with this. We aren't that good. Our weaknesses have been exposed. We could lose more. Only 1 more to not be ranked, 2 and then we are at the mercy of the selection committee. We lost to the same South Dakota that lost to YSU 31-3 and WIU 40-21.

REALBird
October 17th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Going with Illinois State for now, with JMU behind them. NDSU isn't a title contender, we will need to shore up the coaching, defense and let the offense play. I don't see the coaches changing the play calling.

Hoping we get Teddy Corwin back this weekend against WIU. Going to need him. Beat WIU and it's pretty much SDSU in the way for the title.

Thumper 76
October 17th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Hoping we get Teddy Corwin back this weekend against WIU. Going to need him. Beat WIU and it's pretty much SDSU in the way for the title.

Yeah that freshman qb looked pretty awful for us didn't he? ;)

Bison56
October 17th, 2015, 08:42 PM
If NDSU can't figure out how to stop the up tempo with the zone read it will be an early end to the season.

Bisonoline
October 17th, 2015, 10:01 PM
If NDSU can't figure out how to stop the up tempo with the zone read it will be an early end to the season.

Bingo!

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 17th, 2015, 10:12 PM

Agree.

Every team left on the schedule will be doing this.

I would.

REALBird
October 17th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Yeah that freshman qb looked pretty awful for us didn't he? ;)
He was impressive. But then again I think YSU also lost its soul last week in the close loss at home.
Dominating effort by the Jacks. Hats off.

ISUr didn't do too bad against MSU today with 3 starters out due to injury and one suspension. 4 DEF starters missing and we kicked a transfer from Iowa off the team and we still held MSU to 2 pts. Looks like the MVFC may be decided when we come to your house. Provided WIU doesn't play spoiler.

JMUNJ08
October 17th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I thought this was a National title contender thread and not an NDSU shoulder to cry on... Please continue...

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Overreaction Saturday. The only team I can think of without a eyebrowing raising scare, a bad loss, or mulyiple losses, is JMU.

IBleedYellow
October 17th, 2015, 11:07 PM
I agree with this. We aren't that good. Our weaknesses have been exposed. We could lose more. Only 1 more to not be ranked, 2 and then we are at the mercy of the selection committee. We lost to the same South Dakota that lost to YSU 31-3 and WIU 40-21.

And that same YSU team got trounced by SDSU today and WIU beat UNI.

The Valley is tough as nails.

jmufan999
October 17th, 2015, 11:46 PM

*drools*

Cocky
October 18th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Overreaction Saturday. The only team I can think of without a eyebrowing raising scare, a bad loss, or mulyiple losses, is JMU.

JMU hasnt played anyone with a winning record, so hard to judge them against a talented team.

Milktruck74
October 18th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I'm sticking with my statement from 9/5/15..... After Jax State Beat the Mocs, I hung my head for about a minute and then realized, the Mocs lost by 3 to a National Championship Caliber team. JSU is the Real Deal, no matter who they play.

Cocky
October 18th, 2015, 08:34 AM
I'm sticking with my statement from 9/5/15..... After Jax State Beat the Mocs, I hung my head for about a minute and then realized, the Mocs lost by 3 to a National Championship Caliber team. JSU is the Real Deal, no matter who they play.

We are a year or two away from competing at the top level. Depth is needed in a few more positions to handle the playoffs. Just look at last year, the vast amount of injuries made us a different team at the end of the season.

Big_Fan
October 18th, 2015, 10:13 AM
JMU hasnt played anyone with a winning record, so hard to judge them against a talented team.

Hanging 48 on SMU gives them a little street cred... but then... that is the 2nd lowest score allowed by SMU through 7 games. The only lower score was in their 31-13 win over North Texas....but UNT is a train wreck, as the 66-7 loss at home to Portland revealed. JMU appears to be the class of the CAA... but I anxiously await their games with Richmond, and Bill & Mary.

Red & Black
October 18th, 2015, 10:47 AM
This current Montana team is a shell of the team that beat NDSU in week 0. Look no further than their home loss to Weber St, a team that NDSU beat by 4 TDs. One could claim it's injuries or getting their new offense on tape that's started the decline but I'll say that the environment in WaGriz that day was probably one the toughest environments an FCS team could play in (including FBS environments). I was borderline shocked at the level of elation after that win from their fans and players for a program with the tradition of Montana. At the time I took it as they were excited to be "back" as a national contender. They've since fallen off from that considerably so I'm more inclined to think now that the team poured so much of themselves into that game that they peaked in their first game, which is never what you want to do.

Ah, yes. They expended so much emotional energy playing their "super bowl" that they didn't have anything left for the next 5. A 5 game NDSU hangover, if you will. :D

They've lost a couple of their QB's since that game, and that definitely factors in when you're running an offense that is very much predicated on good to great QB play, but even with their original QB1, Montana was probably going to be an above average team this year. Adjusting to a new system and recruiting for it takes time.

I just think that on that day, playing at home, the stars aligned for Montana. They played a great game against NDSU, who has since shown that they are also very beatable this year. Even without that, it's not strange for a great team to go on the road in a tough environment like that and lose a narrow game to a comparable or even slightly more inferior team (see EWU at UNI this year).

As for contenders, if I had to pick my top 8 right now they'd be...in no particular order:

Illinois St. (MVFC Auto-Bid)
Portland St (Big Sky Auto-Bid)
James Madison (CAA Auto-Bid)
Coastal Carolina (Big South Auto-Bid)
Jacksonville St. (OVC Auto-Bid)
South Dakota St. (At large)
NDSU (At large)
EWU (At large)

smallcollegefbfan
October 18th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Teams are going to play their way in and out of this list but simply basing on 2015 and not taking into previous seasons I would say the following:

Jacksonville State 5-1 (OVC)
James Madison 7-0 (CAA)
Illinois State 5-1 (MVFC)
South Dakota State 5-1 (MVFC)
McNeese State 6-0 (SLC)

OUTSIDE SHOT
Coastal Carolina 6-0
Portland State 5-1
Chattanooga 5-1
North Dakota State 4-2
Eastern Washington 4-2
Richmond 5-1

SENOREIDA
October 18th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Teams are going to play their way in and out of this list but simply basing on 2015 and not taking into previous seasons I would say the following:

Jacksonville State 5-1 (OVC)
James Madison 7-0 (CAA)
Illinois State 5-1 (MVFC)
South Dakota State 5-1 (MVFC)
McNeese State 6-0 (SLC)

OUTSIDE SHOT
Coastal Carolina 6-0
Portland State 5-1
Chattanooga 5-1
North Dakota State 4-2
Eastern Washington 4-2
Richmond 5-1
Oh please! Coastal is a contender, don't kid yourself.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Oh please! Coastal is a contender, don't kid yourself.

So Presbyterian should be on the outside shot list? xlolx

jmufan999
October 18th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Hanging 48 on SMU gives them a little street cred... but then... that is the 2nd lowest score allowed by SMU through 7 games. The only lower score was in their 31-13 win over North Texas....but UNT is a train wreck, as the 66-7 loss at home to Portland revealed. JMU appears to be the class of the CAA... but I anxiously await their games with Richmond, and Bill & Mary.

if you watched the SMU game, it didn't feel that close. they needed a recovered onside kick which they converted into a TD. we controlled the game from start to finish.

a 3 point win against an FBS team has been our closest competition. the next closest was a 14 point conference win. that's the closest an FCS team has come to beating us, and that was a game where we went -5 in turnover differential. think about that for a second. not saying we can't be beaten, but that's a level of dominance i've never seen from any JMU team, ever.

SENOREIDA
October 18th, 2015, 03:36 PM
So Presbyterian should be on the outside shot list? xlolx
How'd you guys do against WIU?

chattownmocs
October 18th, 2015, 03:50 PM

Did you read what you quoted? I'm talking about struggling with someone who isn't good.

IBleedYellow
October 18th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Crow time: At least Chatty was able to beat VMI...NDSU played terrible.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2015, 05:33 PM
How'd you guys do against WIU?

Add us to the contender list then. ;)

It's always great to see people have no argument. UNI is what they are. Has nothing to do with your piss poor performance against the Blue Hose.

rokamortis
October 18th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Add us to the contender list then. ;)

It's always great to see people have no argument. UNI is what they are. Has nothing to do with your piss poor performance against the Blue Hose.

Yes, we won closer than we wanted to vs PC. But a win is a win. We also have a nice looking win over WIU.

ST_Lawson
October 18th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Yes, we won closer than we wanted to vs PC. But a win is a win. We also have a nice looking win over WIU.

https://i.imgur.com/ELhmjhY.jpg

rokamortis
October 18th, 2015, 07:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ELhmjhY.jpg

That's funny. What will be funnier is when some UNI fans start calling you a quality loss.

I get frustrated when "old guard" schools discount a team, like many did with WIU earlier this season, without merit. I'm glad you guys were able to take UNI down and am pulling for you guys the rest of the way.

ST_Lawson
October 18th, 2015, 07:05 PM
That's funny. What will be funnier is when some UNI fans start calling you a quality loss.

I get frustrated when "old guard" schools discount a team, like many did with WIU earlier this season, without merit. I'm glad you guys were able to take UNI down and am pulling for you guys the rest of the way.

Yea, it's kinda funny...just depends on when you started paying attention to FCS or your team or whatever. Like, when I was in school originally, Western was a perennial powerhouse. We'd take down MAC teams left and right, make the playoffs regularly...I think in the 5 years when I was in the marching band, we only lost 1 regular season home game. (EDIT...just checked...2 regular season home losses)

But the last 12-ish years...we have fluctuated between being mediocre and immense suckage. It's nice to actually be decent again.

Yea, we're hoping to scare a few more of the "top dogs" and maybe make your win over us look just that much better ;)

rokamortis
October 18th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Yea, we're hoping to scare a few more of the "top dogs" and maybe make your win over us look just that much better ;)
xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2015, 07:32 PM

Maybe you're just sensitive. That "old guard" stuff is BS.

Many UNI fans have been down on our own team this season. WIU is a team in our conference that often gets off to "fast starts" against weak opponents, only to get dominated in conference. Given the way UNI fell apart in 2013 after our game against the Bison I still would be slow to "crown" WIU.

That said, we were quick to congratulate them on the win.

ST_Lawson
October 18th, 2015, 07:46 PM

Many UNI fans have been down on our own team this season. WIU is a team in our conference that often gets off to "fast starts" against weak opponents, only to get dominated in conference. Given the way UNI fell apart in 2013 after our game against the Bison I still would be slow to "crown" WIU.

That said, we were quick to congratulate them on the win.

Oh yea, there's no way we should be in the same conversation with the word "crown" at this point. We've got a lot of really tough games ahead and we'll have to play as well as we did against UNI (if not better) every game to stand a chance in at least half of them. My optimistic (homeristic?) prediction is still to win a few more and to be right on the edge of the playoff bubble this year. We're not a lock for anything yet and as the last couple of weeks have shown, just about anyone in the MVFC can beat just about anyone else...there's no such thing as a "sure thing" in this league.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Oh yea, there's no way we should be in the same conversation with the word "crown" at this point. We've got a lot of really tough games ahead and we'll have to play as well as we did against UNI (if not better) every game to stand a chance in at least half of them. My optimistic (homeristic?) prediction is still to win a few more and to be right on the edge of the playoff bubble this year. We're not a lock for anything yet and as the last couple of weeks have shown, just about anyone in the MVFC can beat just about anyone else...there's no such thing as a "sure thing" in this league.

Anything is possible for you guys right now. New coach has definitely got things headed in the right direction.

UNIFanSince1983
October 18th, 2015, 08:29 PM
We were dominated on both fronts by WIU. There is no excuse for the game. We never deserved to win although we did have a chance to. We do not deserve to be in any conversation about contenders for anything. We don't even deserve to be ranked.

That said I think it is wide open this year. Realistically any team could take it. Just have to make the playoffs which my team will not do this year.

rokamortis
October 18th, 2015, 08:58 PM

Spoken like a member of the old guard .... xcoffeex

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Spoken like a member of the old guard .... xcoffeex

Coastal just fell out of my poll. xlolx

rokamortis
October 18th, 2015, 10:01 PM
Coastal just fell out of my poll. xlolx

I'm not sure I want us in your poll anyway ... not sure where you've been.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2015, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure I want us in your poll anyway ... not sure where you've been.

Hanging out with the old guard.

rokamortis
October 18th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Hanging out with the old guard.

*shivers*

chattownmocs
October 19th, 2015, 08:17 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say UNI will win out and make the playoffs.

UNIFanSince1983
October 19th, 2015, 08:23 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say UNI will win out and make the playoffs.

That is quite the limb especially with going to SDSU this week on their Hobo Day.

I don't see it happening, but would be pleasantly surprised if it did happen.

grizband
October 19th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Agreed, if the same Montana team that showed up for NDSU showed up for the rest of their games, opponents with game film or not, they'd be 6-0 right now.
Probably the most frustrating aspect of this Griz season for me. After that win, the Griz still had many areas to improve, which gave me hope for the season...

MacThor
October 20th, 2015, 08:24 PM
if you watched the SMU game, it didn't feel that close. they needed a recovered onside kick which they converted into a TD. we controlled the game from start to finish.

Well, you were trailing that game with 35 seconds left. It's not as if the onside kick was in garbage time, they used it to take the lead. Controlling the game from start to finish implies JMU held the lead 'til the end.
JMU tried to give that game away, throwing the ball in the red zone with 5-ish minutes left and a 10 point lead for an interception, when they could have burned clock and added to their lead. I am glad they won - always good to see an FBS upset, but you must have been screaming at your set those last 5 minutes.

jmufan999
October 20th, 2015, 09:35 PM
Well, you were trailing that game with 35 seconds left. It's not as if the onside kick was in garbage time, they used it to take the lead. Controlling the game from start to finish implies JMU held the lead 'til the end.
JMU tried to give that game away, throwing the ball in the red zone with 5-ish minutes left and a 10 point lead for an interception, when they could have burned clock and added to their lead. I am glad they won - always good to see an FBS upset, but you must have been screaming at your set those last 5 minutes.

yeah a little. Withers is so different from Mickey. very risky and aggressive. probably not what i would do as a coach, but it's working... at least until it stops working. people are going to go ape s**t if we lose a big game (especially a playoff game) because we were so aggressive with a late lead. he's getting a lot of pats on the back for now.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 25th, 2015, 12:26 AM
Ahem.

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2015, 12:30 AM

1 down.

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Ahem.

You're right, we have to consider Dayton with their win over Butler today. xlmaox

Grizalltheway
October 25th, 2015, 12:45 AM
If the Griz can keep putting together complete games like they did today, they'll be in the mix.

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2015, 12:49 AM
If the Griz can keep putting together complete games like they did today, they'll be in the mix.

You think? I chalked it up to UNDs terrible secondary, but I didn't get to watch.

Grizalltheway
October 25th, 2015, 11:53 AM
You think? I chalked it up to UNDs terrible secondary, but I didn't get to watch.
Yes their secondary is bad, but has anyone else thrown for six TDs on them, let alone a 3rd stringer making his first start?

O line was also better than they've been all season, only allowed one sack and opened some holes against a good defensive front.

But mostly the field seems as wide open as it's been in recent memory. I think anyone who gets in has a good chance to make a run.

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Yes their secondary is bad, but has anyone else thrown for six TDs on them, let alone a 3rd stringer making his first start?

O line was also better than they've been all season, only allowed one sack and opened some holes against a good defensive front.

But mostly the field seems as wide open as it's been in recent memory. I think anyone who gets in has a good chance to make a run.

NDSU easily could have if we wanted to. However once we got up by 3 scores we stopped doing anything and ran the football against them. I'm pretty sure anyone with a decent QB and WRs would be able to throw 5+ TD passes on them...their secondary is terrible.