PDA

View Full Version : North Texas Fires Coach After 66-7 Loss to Portland St.

DFW HOYA
October 11th, 2015, 12:46 AM
Memo to all Conference USA coaches: Don't lose by 59 to a Big Sky team. Especially at Homecoming.

"University of North Texas Director of Athletics Rick Villarreal has announced that Dan McCarney has been relieved of his duties as head football coach effective immediately."

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101015aaa.html

"The Vikings hammered UNT 66-7, the largest margin of defeat for a Football Bowl Subdivision team in a game against a team from the Football Championship Subdivision ever...UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal confirmed the school's decision to part ways with McCarney in a hastily called press conference that took the place of the Mean Green's regular postgame interview session."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20151010-north-texas-dan-mccarney-relieved-of-duties-following-mean-green-s-66-7-loss-to-fcs-school.ece

SFA 93
October 11th, 2015, 06:33 AM
North Texas under McCarney went 5-7; 4-8; 9-4 (Bowl Win); 4-8; 0-5

TennBison
October 11th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Blame the school and its leaders and not the coach maybe, I have never even heard of North Texas, did not even know there was such a school.

Hammersmith
October 11th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Blame the school and its leaders and not the coach maybe, I have never even heard of North Texas, did not even know there was such a school.

One of the best jazz schools in the country. Arguably in the top 5 to 10 range for music overall. Just not so great for football.

Laker
October 11th, 2015, 08:03 AM

I thought that they used North Texas State as the setting for Necessary Roughness.

I think that they used to be called the Eagles- but they had such a tough defense back in the 60s that they started calling them the Mean Green. BTW Mean Joe Greene played for them back then.

SFA 93
October 11th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Never heard of it?

Founded in 1890 used to be called North Texas State, has over 35,000 students located in Denton, Texas, was a member of the Southland Conference from 1982 to 1996.

Nickname is the Mean Green.

Hall of Fame Pittsburgh Steeler Mean Joe Green played his college ball there. Other notable alumni Dr. Phil, Pat Boone, Norah Jones, Peter Weller, Dallas Cowboy's running back Lance Dunbar played there, Brian Waters, Craig Roberson to name a few other NFL players.

Well now you have.

RootinFerDukes
October 11th, 2015, 08:29 AM

If a UNT fan saw an NDSU fan post exactly what you just posted, they might die.
G5 fans have as much program insecurity as anyone and they certainly don't want to hear some "division 2" fan hasn't heard of their "division 1" team.

mvemjsunpx
October 11th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I thought that they used North Texas State as the setting for Necessary Roughness.

No, that was a fictional Texas State (back when the current Texas State was still going by SW Texas State).

DFW HOYA
October 11th, 2015, 09:20 AM
North Texas was a I-AA power when the Southland was a top-tier conference. Now, not so much.

The SLC, then:
Arkansas St. (now Sun Belt)
SW Louisiana (Sun Belt)
Louisiana Tech (Conference USA)
North Texas St. (Conference USA)
NE Louisiana (Sun Belt)
McNeese St.
Lamar
Texas-Arlington

The SLC, 2015:
McNeese St.
Central Arkansas
Sam Houston St.
SE Louisiana
Lamar
Incarnate Word
Abilene Christian
Stephen F. Austin St.
Houston Baptist
Northwestern St.
Nicholls St.

FormerPokeCenter
October 11th, 2015, 09:23 AM
I don't remember North Texas being a I-AA power...

FormerPokeCenter
October 11th, 2015, 09:25 AM

I think that they used to be called the Eagles- but they had such a tough defense back in the 60s that they started calling them the Mean Green. BTW Mean Joe Greene played for them back then.

You're correct. They filmed Necessary Roughness at UNT's Fouts Field....but called the Team the Texas State Fighting Armadillos...They even used UNT's green color scheme.

UNT's built a new stadium since then, though...

mvemjsunpx
October 11th, 2015, 10:48 AM

They weren't. They went 0-4 in the playoffs.

UNIFanSince1983
October 11th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Dan McCarney is a good coach and a good man. Disappointing to see his team be that bad.

polsongrizz
October 11th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Never heard of it?

Founded in 1890 used to be called North Texas State, has over 35,000 students located in Denton, Texas, was a member of the Southland Conference from 1982 to 1996.

Hall of Fame Pittsburgh Steeler Mean Joe Green played his college ball there. Other notable alumni Dr. Phil, Pat Boone, Norah Jones, Peter Weller, Dallas Cowboy's running back Lance Dunbar played there, Brian Waters, Craig Roberson to name a few other NFL players.

Well now you have.

I have never heard of it either. Even after seeing the score last night I didn't even bother to look them up. The fact that they are supposedly fbs is even more hilarious. They might want to drop down to DII.

UNI Pike
October 11th, 2015, 11:32 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/contests/cowher

#coachmecowher

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

mvemjsunpx
October 11th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Dan McCarney is a good coach and a good man. Disappointing to see his team be that bad.

His team must've quit on the game and on him. I don't see any other explanation. Portland State isn't that good, and no FBS team would lose to any FCS team by that kind of margin under any other circumstance.

TennBison
October 11th, 2015, 12:13 PM
If a UNT fan saw an NDSU fan post exactly what you just posted, they might die.
G5 fans have as much program insecurity as anyone and they certainly don't want to hear some "division 2" fan hasn't heard of their "division 1" team.
Are you saying that there are more football teams out there in the USA besides the ones NDSU plays or has played ????

FormerPokeCenter
October 11th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Never heard of it?

Well now you have.

Don't forget Stone Cold Steve Austin, who was a UNT linebacker...but, to be fair, when he played, he went by his given name, Steve Williams..

When he got into Wrasslin, there was another wrassler already using that name, Steve "Dr. Death" Williams...

Laker
October 11th, 2015, 12:23 PM

I met Dan when he was at Iowa State. He had two daughters who were at basketball camp there. He shook my hand and thanked me for working with them. Sorry that he is gone.

JALMOND
October 11th, 2015, 12:24 PM
His team must've quit on the game and on him. I don't see any other explanation. Portland State isn't that good, and no FBS team would lose to any FCS team by that kind of margin under any other circumstance.

While trolling the fan message boards leading up to the game, I saw very harsh comments on the state of their football team. Critical of the coach, tweets from players and overall bad vibes from fans and boosters. I could not watch the game, no TV and you had to pay for the streaming, But the second quarter, I thought something was up. I watched when we put 77 on Idaho State a couple years back and I thought that team had quit on their coach. Listening to the game on the radio, I thought the same thing. Still, the win should be considered Most Significant, I would think.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 11th, 2015, 12:26 PM
I have never heard of it either. Even after seeing the score last night I didn't even bother to look them up. The fact that they are supposedly fbs is even more hilarious. They might want to drop down to DII.

Well, I think if you don't know of them then you are a person that this just sort of slips through the cracks on. I remember the Griz going to Denton and playing and just barely squeking a win out there back in the early 90's with DD at the helm. They were a decent team.

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Lafayette should have done this after yesterday's Georgetown loss but we have a straw man as AD.

TheRevSFA
October 11th, 2015, 02:01 PM

didnt USF have mcneese hang 51 on them?

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 11th, 2015, 02:31 PM
"I became a major league manager in several cities and was discharged. We call it discharged because there is no question I had to leave."

-Casey Stengel

JALMOND
October 11th, 2015, 02:45 PM
It was a pretty good idea for North Texas at the time. You need to find a patsy for homecoming to impress your potential high school recruits, so you check and see if there are any bad FCS teams out there, especially ones with very few Texas kids on the roster so you know they don't recruit in your area. You find Portland State, a team that may be on the verge of folding, with an interim head coach and no AD, and no Texas kids. Things may not be going well this season, but a homecoming win to impress the potential recruits will get them to consider UNT and also get more money from the boosters. A win for everyone around the program. But you cannot afford to lose the game, and you can't afford to look terrible. After the performance (or lack thereof), UNT needed to do something to try to save face and the most convenient way is always to fire the coach.

mvemjsunpx
October 11th, 2015, 10:21 PM
didnt USF have mcneese hang 51 on them?

Yeah (it was 53-21). Still, that's still not nearly as embarrassing as a 66-7 loss where you're outgained by almost 500 yards by an FCS team with an interim coach that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years.

grizband
October 11th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Yeah (it was 53-21). Still, that's still not nearly as embarrassing as a 66-7 loss where you're outgained by almost 500 yards by an FCS team with an interim coach that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years.
And has literally been on the verge of considering a program shutdown...

Bisonoline
October 11th, 2015, 10:50 PM
"I became a major league manager in several cities and was discharged. We call it discharged because there is no question I had to leave."

-Casey Stengel

Lee Corso was talking on one of the ESPN shows about why he never went back in to coaching after he was fired. He said "nobody invited me back."

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Portland State seems to be a unique school. From what I gather, it's very urban and commuter centric? It seems like Temple circa 1995. It has a rather diverse student body. Likely, there's a large percentage of students who are not looking for the typical college experience. Ultimately, how athletics fits in a tricky slope.

I still can't get over 66-7. To me it's as much shocking as it is impressive. Portland State is a quality team but in order to lose like that there had to be real problems at UNT. They've never been very good but I never associated them with the absolute bottom of FBS.

A 4 team playoff of North Texas, Kansas, Georgia State and Wyoming would be great in a horrible way.....

BisonTru
October 11th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Portland State seems to be a unique school. From what I gather, it's very urban and commuter centric? It seems like Temple circa 1995. It has a rather diverse student body. Likely, there's a large percentage of students who are not looking for the typical college experience. Ultimately, how athletics fits in a tricky slope.

I still can't get over 66-7. To me it's as much shocking as it is impressive. Portland State is a quality team but in order to lose like that there had to be real problems at UNT. They've never been very good but I never associated them with the absolute bottom of FBS.

A 4 team playoff of North Texas, Kansas, Georgia State and Wyoming would be great in a horrible way.....

That would be more entertaining than watching two 6-6 teams in the whatever bowl. Another twist, lose and you move on.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2015, 11:13 PM
That would be more entertaining than watching two 6-6 teams in the whatever bowl. Another twist, lose and you move on.

I think it would be more entertaining as well! xlolx

WTH is going on at Wyoming? It's hard to see them winning a game. They're never great but they usually look the part of a FBS team. They have some legitimately good years here and there. Bohl should be able to have SOME success there.

JALMOND
October 11th, 2015, 11:19 PM
And has literally been on the verge of considering a program shutdown...

Well, details of our shutdown have been greatly exaggerated.

BisonTru
October 11th, 2015, 11:28 PM

WTH is going on at Wyoming? It's hard to see them winning a game. They're never great but they usually look the part of a FBS team. They have some legitimately good years here and there. Bohl should be able to have SOME success there.

Yeah, I don't see a win. He better get close to .500 next year, though. You gotta get kids to buy in to the program. Easy to do when your winning, difficult when your losing.

JMO, but his best two asst coaches stayed in Fargo. Obviously, Klieman. The other is our strength and condition coach, Kramer. I would assume he wanted Kramer to follow, but WYO probably already had their guy at that position.

grizband
October 11th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Well, details of our shutdown have been greatly exaggerated.
Maybe, but the financial concerns were/are real...I may have exaggerated in my post, though.

BisonTru
October 11th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Maybe, but the financial concerns were/are real...I may have exaggerated in my post, though.

They owe McCarney between $2 - $3 million. That doesn't help.

ming01
October 12th, 2015, 12:52 AM
UNTs bowl team two years ago was pretty decent, which kinda shocks me with how terrible they are now

ming01
October 12th, 2015, 12:58 AM

add new mexico st in there haha

SUUTbird
October 12th, 2015, 03:17 AM
If Portland State is smart they're going to hire Barnum full time

Pinnum
October 12th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Anyone know how much Portland State was paid to blow out North Texas and help stabilize the Vikings football budget?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 12th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Anyone know how much Portland State was paid to blow out North Texas and help stabilize the Vikings football budget?

The figures I saw bandied about were $125k and $425k. Probably got about $550k total for spanking two FBS teams. Not bad.

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2015, 08:40 AM

One thing I'll say about Bohl and staff however is that they had their best recruiting class at NDSU the same year (2009-2010) as their worst year in terms of results on the field. That class laid the foundation for the dynasty that NDSU has become. Maybe they caught lightning in a bottle with that one but it seems like Wyo fans are pretty pleased with the recruiting efforts at least to this point so it's not completely crazy to think that Bohl and company can't engineer a turnaround in short order after the debacle this season has become. However, I agree with BisonTru, his seat has warmed considerably to the point where if they're in the same position at this time next year he may get the axe. The big thing he has working for him is I'm sure Wyoming's AD brass doesn't want to pay him to not coach and if they fired him they'd be on the hook for a significant salary still (by their standards at least - in the $1M range annually by year 4 and 5 of his contract I believe).

Bisonator
October 12th, 2015, 08:46 AM
One thing I'll say about Bohl and staff however is that they had their best recruiting class at NDSU the same year (2009-2010) as their worst year in terms of results on the field. That class laid the foundation for the dynasty that NDSU has become. Maybe they caught lightning in a bottle with that one but it seems like Wyo fans are pretty pleased with the recruiting efforts at least to this point so it's not completely crazy to think that Bohl and company can't engineer a turnaround in short order after the debacle this season has become. However, I agree with BisonTru, his seat has warmed considerably to the point where if they're in the same position at this time next year he may get the axe. The big thing he has working for him is I'm sure Wyoming's AD brass doesn't want to pay him to not coach and if they fired him they'd be on the hook for a significant salary still (by their standards at least - in the $1M range annually by year 4 and 5 of his contract I believe).

Agree with this. Not sure Bohl can get it turned around or not but he's really only had 1 recruiting class so far at Wyo. They are an extremely young and inexperienced team at this point. IMO he kind of shot himself in the foot by not bringing in some JUCO's these first couple years.

JALMOND
October 12th, 2015, 09:05 AM

$425,000. We got $500,000 from Wazzu.

F'N Hawks
October 12th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Agree with this. Not sure Bohl can get it turned around or not but he's really only had 1 recruiting class so far at Wyo. They are an extremely young and inexperienced team at this point. IMO he kind of shot himself in the foot by not bringing in some JUCO's these first couple years.

He brought in a pretty good juco DL but he quit after 2 games I believe. That one hurt.

To me this says a bit about his actual coaching and his staff's coaching ability. They had better players than everyone else their last 3-4 years at NDSU. That is recruiting. Now they have "not as good" of players as their opponents and are getting their ass handed to them on a weekly basis. Can they coach, obviously. But they might have been better recruiters than coaches at NDSU. Only time will tell.

Lets remember this is their second year of installing the system. They should be playing better than this after a full year and half of coaching them up. Just my opinion, might be wrong. :)

ST_Lawson
October 12th, 2015, 10:24 AM
$425,000. We got $500,000 from Wazzu.

So...just under $1 million for a couple of solid road wins...that's a pretty good ROI.

JALMOND
October 12th, 2015, 08:39 PM
So...just under $1 million for a couple of solid road wins...that's a pretty good ROI.

We did have to spring for the charter flight to Dallas, however. Unsure of what we really netted. We were able to bus to Pullman for Wazzu so we got to keep most of that. We are flying to Greeley (Denver I believe) for UNC, but we are busing to Poly and EWU.

UNI Pike
October 13th, 2015, 04:58 AM
Busing from Portland to cal poly? John Madden says "Ouch"

JALMOND
October 13th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Busing from Portland to cal poly? John Madden says "Ouch"

Itinerary says San Jose Thursday night, SLO Friday night, San Jose after the game Saturday, Portland Sunday.

UNI Pike
October 13th, 2015, 10:06 AM
That seems like a much more reasonable trip.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Wanted to share a really funny story. I just ran into my neighbor, not a Lehigh fan or a huge college football fan in particular. He said he was at the game in North Texas this weekend! He said it was homecoming and his brother's daughter went to the school, so they went to take in a game. His thoughts were that it was "men against boys" out there in the domination that PSU had over the Mean Green. He was amused that the coach was fired after that, and that he felt like NTU took an absolute bath on homecoming since only about 19,000 fans (his estimate) were in the stands at the game. That plus the $425k payday means that the net cost of the game and the loss may be well into the millions of dollars.

He and his group made it until halftime. :)

katstrapper
October 14th, 2015, 06:55 AM

yes, I don't remember North Texas EVER being a I-AA power. They only made the playoffs 4 times and lost all of them. Interesting note here, Mike Canales(now the interim coach), was the interim head coach when Todd Dodge was fired. Now he is taking over for McCarney. He was interviewed for the SHSU job when Keeler was hired.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Wanted to share a really funny story. I just ran into my neighbor, not a Lehigh fan or a huge college football fan in particular. He said he was at the game in North Texas this weekend! He said it was homecoming and his brother's daughter went to the school, so they went to take in a game. His thoughts were that it was "men against boys" out there in the domination that PSU had over the Mean Green. He was amused that the coach was fired after that, and that he felt like NTU took an absolute bath on homecoming since only about 19,000 fans (his estimate) were in the stands at the game. That plus the $425k payday means that the net cost of the game and the loss may be well into the millions of dollars.

He and his group made it until halftime. :)

....REPORTED ATTENDANCE 19,801...STADIUM CAPACITY 30,850........SOME INFO ON GAME............FIRE BRAWK!

FCS Portland State beat North Texas so badly, the... (http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVyNZVh5W4lkAwQlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBzdWd2cWI 5BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxMAR2dGlkAwRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1444857562/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sbnation.com%2fcollege-football%2f2015%2f10%2f10%2f9494755%2fportland-state-vikings-football-washington-state-north-texas-fcs-win-records/RK=0/RS=wJuci.SmM0K3Ka5tfTbFEzA8uuU-)