PDA

View Full Version : Weber State beats Montana in OT

centennial
October 10th, 2015, 06:36 PM
What is going on Montana fans?

IBleedYellow
October 10th, 2015, 06:45 PM
They had their 3rd string QB in and injuries everywhere.

That said, Montana, STOP LOSING PLEASE :(

centennial
October 10th, 2015, 06:47 PM

They are making us look bad. I really don't want Montana to be our worst loss in the last half decade.

gumby013
October 10th, 2015, 06:49 PM

It's a wash when they lose to a team we beat.

Silenoz
October 10th, 2015, 06:51 PM
We're probably looking at 5-6 at best at this point. Again.

So... yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up about that loss being any sort of strong point on your resume NDSU

IBleedYellow
October 10th, 2015, 06:55 PM
NDSU just needs to win out and that loss won't hurt as much.

That said, I really wanted to see a rematch with Montana this year.

Cleets
October 10th, 2015, 07:44 PM
The Griz are flat out of Quarterbacks
The kid who finished the game didn't even recognize 6 defenders standing on the line of scrimmage as a blitz...
so - sure enough - he payed the price of a quarterback that can't seem to figure out why 6 people would be standing on the line if scrimmage

xeyebrowx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2015, 09:11 PM
The Griz are flat out of Quarterbacks
The kid who finished the game didn't even recognize 6 defenders standing on the line of scrimmage as a blitz...
so - sure enough - he payed the price of a quarterback that can't seem to figure out why 6 people would be standing on the line if scrimmage

xeyebrowx

He actually just stepped into the mob most of the time. We don't have an identity, it's been a problem all year. Oh well, figured it wouldn't be a real good year in the beginning. The NDSU win just made me think maybe we weren't gonna have any trouble with the personnel and the schemes. That was incorrect. It's just too bad another decent defense is going to waste for us just hate to see that happen all the time. Ah well.

The really odd thing to me right off the bat in the first quarter was I asked the two guys next to me..."does this seem like up tempo offense" cuz it sure felt like what we have watched with Delaney so it really seemed odd. The to find out Weber runs more plays than we do? WTF? Just some really odd crap today.

We are absolutely not a top 25 team people. Take that from someone that you can trust on this matter...I ain't lying to you.

dewey
October 10th, 2015, 09:36 PM
I don't care what Montana ' s record is at the end of the season but losing to Montana in Missoula IMHO is not a bad loss. That stinks for Montana to be down to their 3rd string quarterback. So MT fans does the coaching staff not have the same up tempo offense as the NDSU game? Are they too concerned about injuries?

Go Grizzlies!

Dewey

Peems
October 10th, 2015, 10:24 PM
The griz are regressing it seems. We refuse to kick FGs anymore. we had missed opportunities at points and just didn't take them. Our O-line is a sieve and having your 3rd string in, definitely doesn't help. We were bullied up front by the Weber line and they ran it right down our throats.(surprised more teams haven't done this honestly). Lots of Griz fans are saying the sky is falling, and while losing to a Weber team that did not come in as world beaters at home is bad, I'm not ready to say the end of Griz football is here. If the Griz are still performing like this in another year or two. Sure, but for now, you take the lumps and realize these things take time. Sometimes I think beating NDSU was the worst thing for the fanbase.(not that i'd trade the W:D)

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2015, 10:28 PM
I don't care what Montana ' s record is at the end of the season but losing to Montana in Missoula IMHO is not a bad loss. That stinks for Montana to be down to their 3rd string quarterback. So MT fans does the coaching staff not have the same up tempo offense as the NDSU game? Are they too concerned about injuries?

Go Grizzlies!

Dewey

As Peems said, we are really walking things backwards in the last 4 games...we have gotten worse than the team NDSU played...a lot worse.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2015, 10:29 PM
The griz are regressing it seems. We refuse to kick FGs anymore. we had missed opportunities at points and just didn't take them. Our O-line is a sieve and having your 3rd string in, definitely doesn't help. We were bullied up front by the Weber line and they ran it right down our throats.(surprised more teams haven't done this honestly). Lots of Griz fans are saying the sky is falling, and while losing to a Weber team that did not come in as world beaters at home is bad, I'm not ready to say the end of Griz football is here. If the Griz are still performing like this in another year or two. Sure, but for now, you take the lumps and realize these things take time. Sometimes I think beating NDSU was the worst thing for the fanbase.(not that i'd trade the W:D)

What is this your first post in 6 years? Good to see you Peems, welcome back.

Peems
October 10th, 2015, 10:31 PM
What is this your first post in 6 years? Good to see you Peems, welcome back.

Good to be back! Today is the first time i've posted in awhile. From Pflu thru Delaney I just lurked occasionally, but the itch came back!

mvemjsunpx
October 10th, 2015, 10:33 PM
He actually just stepped into the mob most of the time.

Most QBs don't step up in the pocket enough. Yet, for Simis, stepping up in the pocket is the only thing he seemed to know how to do. xeyebrowx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Most QBs don't step up in the pocket enough. Yet, for Simis, stepping up in the pocket is the only thing he seemed to know how to do. xeyebrowx

If only there had been a pocket...

Tought spot for the kid but you'd expect more of a "run away" type thing normally. Who knows, he could come in and light things up and we all hope he does but this was a rough one today.

veinup
October 10th, 2015, 10:43 PM
this is gonna be a tough loss to bounce back from ..

Silenoz
October 11th, 2015, 12:04 AM
On the bright side I liked what I saw from Simis. This season is basically lost, but he could be our guy next year so let's hope he gets some good experience. *knock on injury wood*

JayJ79
October 11th, 2015, 12:22 AM
but the itch came back!

you should see a doctor about that

grizband
October 11th, 2015, 01:44 AM
Earlier this season,I complained about the Griz kicking so many short field goals. Today, just one would have won the game...

I Bleed Purple
October 11th, 2015, 03:45 AM
Seems to be the absolute worst way to break a long time losing streak on the road.

Everything I've heard or seen, Montana gifted the game. Our defense is good and Wilkes was good and that was it.

dewey
October 11th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Seems to be the absolute worst way to break a long time losing streak on the road.

Everything I've heard or seen, Montana gifted the game. Our defense is good and Wilkes was good and that was it.

Congratulations to Weber State on the huge win. Is this the biggest win under Jay Hill (head coach's name?) tenure?

Dewey

mvemjsunpx
October 11th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Earlier this season,I complained about the Griz kicking so many short field goals. Today, just one would have won the game...

The mood among the fans at the stadium was very different than the mood on the message boards, it seems. EGriz is blaming the loss on the fourth down decisions, but the fans around me at the stadium didn't even find it controversial at the time. Sullivan has been spotty, it was only 4th. & 2 both times, and Weber (who hadn't done much on offense in the second half) was pinned at around their own 5 after one of the failures. I'm not sure which option is better in those situations on average, but going for it was far from nonsensical.

Also, many of the fans at the stadium wanted the Griz to go for it on the last fourth down near the end of regulation when UM was deep in their own territory. xlolx

I Bleed Purple
October 11th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Congratulations to Weber State on the huge win. Is this the biggest win under Jay Hill (head coach's name?) tenure?

Dewey

Yes, but that's not saying much since it's his second year and the team won 2 games the prior year.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 11th, 2015, 02:17 PM
The mood among the fans at the stadium was very different than the mood on the message boards, it seems. EGriz is blaming the loss on the fourth down decisions, but the fans around me at the stadium didn't even find it controversial at the time. Sullivan has been spotty, it was only 4th. & 2 both times, and Weber (who hadn't done much on offense in the second half) was pinned at around their own 5 after one of the failures. I'm not sure which option is better in those situations on average, but going for it was far from nonsensical.

Also, many of the fans at the stadium wanted the Griz to go for it on the last fourth down near the end of regulation when UM was deep in their own territory. xlolx

Fans are chicken**** with what they want and support during a game and how they can quickly change once what they support didn't work. Those people lack integrity, nothing more than that.

GABison
October 11th, 2015, 02:17 PM

That's weird. After our loss at Montana and the Missoula trip being a bust, I was kind of hoping the Griz would lose every game after. I understand the SOS thing but am hoping it kind of turns out like the Indiana State game of 2012 and the blind squirrel thing.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 11th, 2015, 02:20 PM
That's weird. After our loss at Montana and the Missoula trip being a bust, I was kind of hoping the Griz would lose every game after. I understand the SOS thing but am hoping it kind of turns out like the Indiana State game of 2012 and the blind squirrel thing.

Doesn't matter, we took your nuts, that what you are left with.

centennial
October 11th, 2015, 02:28 PM
You do realize Illinois State probably runs the table. We could easily get placed out of playing at home with an additional loss, especially if the Griz are 6-6.

AshevilleApp2
October 11th, 2015, 02:34 PM
You do realize Illinois State probably runs the table. We could easily get placed out of playing at home with an additional loss, especially if the Griz are 6-6.

Wrong thread.

IBleedYellow
October 11th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Wrong thread.

Not at all? It's completely talking about Montana, and how if they keep losing it could be detrimental to NDSU.

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Not at all? It's completely talking about Montana, and how if they keep losing it could be detrimental to NDSU.

Totally. If everyone wins out and the Bison lose another one, they are not a top 2 seed.

IBleedYellow
October 11th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Totally. If everyone wins out and the Bison lose another one, they are not a top 2 seed.
Bingo. NDSU needs to win out and Montana does the same.

Lehigh'98
October 11th, 2015, 04:04 PM
No one besides NDSU is winning out in the MVFC, let's be honest. Harvard will win out in the MVFC.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 11th, 2015, 06:05 PM
No one besides NDSU is winning out in the MVFC, let's be honest. Harvard will win out in the MVFC.

Doubt that.

If UNI plays like they did yesterday the rest of the year, they win out.

Silenoz
October 11th, 2015, 06:19 PM

Uh, sure...

IBleedYellow
October 11th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Doubt that.

If UNI plays like they did yesterday the rest of the year, they win out.

UNI won't win out. That was their Bison level of play yesterday.

The "other" UNI will be around for the rest of the regular season, silly. Haven't you learned this yet?

mvemjsunpx
October 11th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Fans are chicken**** with what they want and support during a game and how they can quickly change once what they support didn't work. Those people lack integrity, nothing more than that.

That's true, though eGriz being somewhat out of line with the whole of Griz Nation is probably a factor too.

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2015, 08:12 PM
UNI won't win out. That was their Bison level of play yesterday.

The "other" UNI will be around for the rest of the regular season, silly. Haven't you learned this yet?

If it wasn't for Missouri State I would say we could just as easily lose out.

NDSUSR
October 11th, 2015, 08:23 PM
If it wasn't for Missouri State I would say we could just as easily lose out.

Does it matter? You will choke on the playoffs no matter what. Who cares?
UNI is like the old Big Gulp cup that people piss in when they try to be discreet.

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Does it matter? You will choke on the playoffs no matter what. Who cares?

That would be offensive if I hadn't already said that in multiple threads myself and I din't just suggest we could easily lose out. You're quite the prissy bitch.

Red & Black
October 11th, 2015, 08:33 PM

I was one who was thinking the Weber defense is/was pretty good, until that 44-0 blowout at home. There's no way to explain that one away.

kalm
October 11th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I think UNI is a very solid team. They just got off the road against two top five opponents, dominated a good Cal Poly team and have another win against a top 10 FCS. And this while learning a new offense.

NDSU crowing at this point is unnecessary but unfortunately, not surprising either.

But at least they're crowing in the appropriate thread (as already mentioned).

Bison nation...the Kanye West of FCS.

NDSUSR
October 11th, 2015, 08:37 PM
That would be offensive if I hadn't already said that in multiple threads myself and I din't just suggest we could easily lose out. You're quite the prissy bitch.

One day we will meet and find out who the bitch is.

kalm
October 11th, 2015, 08:39 PM

I rest my case!!!xlolx

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2015, 10:04 PM

Wish we could have done it in Fargo this weekend. Me and my popular gang of Bison fans would have left you in the gutter. lakes would've shanked you.

IBleedYellow
October 11th, 2015, 10:07 PM
I was one who was thinking the Weber defense is/was pretty good, until that 44-0 blowout at home. There's no way to explain that one away.

"Off game."

Totally works. :)

mvemjsunpx
October 11th, 2015, 10:10 PM

Weber's offense committed 6 turnovers. SUU's O didn't really do a whole lot in that game, to be honest.

SUUTbird
October 12th, 2015, 02:01 AM
Our offense still put up 23 points and over 350 yards of total offense which isn't bad at all. We're lot like Utah this year, great defense and solid Special Teams and offense that does enough to get the job done.

I Bleed Purple
October 12th, 2015, 04:53 AM

Two pick 6's and a punt return TD. Another off an interception. 28 of the 44 points on 31 yards of SUU offense.

Our offense still put up 23 points and over 350 yards of total offense which isn't bad at all. We're lot like Utah this year, great defense and solid Special Teams and offense that does enough to get the job done.

Only one sustained drive ended in a touchdown. Defense was fantastic for Weber that game.

mvemjsunpx
October 12th, 2015, 07:12 AM

357 yards is about average, but that was on 85 plays. 4.2 ypp isn't very good at all.

putter
October 12th, 2015, 10:19 AM
For Montana it is kind of a square peg in round hole. Stitt is playing his system with someone else's players...who, by the way, are doing a better than poor job of executing that plan. I just wish Stitt would realize that he needs to get points on the board with this team and then go for the 4th downs in later years when he has his players and a better O-Line.

geaux_sioux
October 12th, 2015, 10:26 AM
What's the situation with your top two QBs? How long are they expected to be out for?

mvemjsunpx
October 12th, 2015, 10:41 AM
What's the situation with your top two QBs? How long are they expected to be out for?

Gustafson reportedly broke his fibula against Liberty, but that was never totally confirmed. It's unknown how long until he'll be back, other than it will probably be before the end of the season.

I don't think anything's confirmed on Chalich.

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 12th, 2015, 10:51 AM
On the bright side I liked what I saw from Simis. This season is basically lost, but he could be our guy next year so let's hope he gets some good experience. *knock on injury wood*

Given the situation I thought Simis looked good. He throws sharp passes and he runs well. I think his biggest issue was his lack of game experience, and his lack of practice reps with the ones. I think the speed of a live game threw him off a bit as well, which may have caused him some troubles with how he handled time in the pocket. My only knock on his ability was that he didn't get enough on a deep ball that could have gone for a touchdown to Henderson. But since he only had the one attempt on a deep ball (that sticks out in my mind) maybe he can throw deep, but didn't execute that one play well.

Honestly, I don't know how Simis wasn't at least #2 on the depth chart at the beginning of the year, and I think it should have been a much closer race with Gustafson. Granted, I wasn't at practice, so I don't know what he looked like in spring and summer camps. His ability to use his feet it adds a dimension to the offense that helps the run game, which hasn't been very strong this year. I'm hoping Simis gets a lot of snaps with the ones in practice and we see him start against UND.

I Bleed Purple
October 12th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Back to the original post, I still wish Weber would have won in Missoula when we were, you know, actually good and rather when we're not good.

uofmman1122
October 13th, 2015, 05:53 PM
The Weber RB was insanely impressive. He ran HARD and always fought for extra yards. I honestly thought he was the best RB we've played against. Weber came in with swagger and wasn't scared. Their QB had a huge chip on his shoulder.

We were basically the opposite of all that. I kind of agree that the NDSU win didn't do is any favors. It'll be a tough season, but Stitt has shown his offense can get it done when our players execute. When they don't...well...

That's why we're 3-3.

mvemjsunpx
October 13th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Gustafson reportedly broke his fibula against Liberty, but that was never totally confirmed. It's unknown how long until he'll be back, other than it will probably be before the end of the season.

I don't think anything's confirmed on Chalich.

Just to add to this: Stitt is acting publicly as if Simis will start against NoDak on 10/24.