PDA

View Full Version : Edition # 1, YOU MAKE THE CALL

KPSUL
October 7th, 2015, 03:42 PM
http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2015/10/7/blog_1007150616.aspx?path=football

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I'd say legal. To me it looks like he threw his hands up to try to deflect the ball that he knew was on it's way, not to face guard.

That said if the WR makes any kind of attempt to come back to the ball it's an easy DPI call.

UNIFanSince1983
October 7th, 2015, 04:03 PM
I don't think he gets close enough when the ball is in the air for it to be DPI. He was beat and trying to catch up. Lucky enough for him the ball was well under thrown and the receiver didn't adjust correctly. Had he run through the receiver this is easy DPI. That was not the case on this play so it is legal.

Also nice to see the American Sports Network actually had a scorebar and working clock on that broadcast. The UNI vs CP game was awful by them.

taper
October 7th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Face guarding is legal in college and NFL as long as there's no contact. Incidental contact as part of a play on the ball is also not a penalty, left to the judgement of the officials. IMHO this is right on the edge, mostly because the defender didn't look back at the ball. Got pretty lucky when it bounced into his hands. I'd stay with INT.

JALMOND
October 7th, 2015, 08:20 PM
What's the issue? A legitimate INT, no contact made. Granted, had the receiver come back for the ball and thus creating the contact (and the illusion of trying to make an attempt at catching the ball) then it might have been a penalty, but the receiver did not come back for it, thus no contact, thus no penalty.

Bisonator
October 7th, 2015, 08:38 PM
What's the issue? A legitimate INT, no contact made. Granted, had the receiver come back for the ball and thus creating the contact (and the illusion of trying to make an attempt at catching the ball) then it might have been a penalty, but the receiver did not come back for it, thus no contact, thus no penalty.

Bingo. No contact, no penalty.

KPSUL
October 7th, 2015, 09:08 PM
You guys are good! Five great comments, I see a good officiating crew.

I agree, this was a better than average ASN broadcast, much better than the UNH @ SB which apparently had the same issues as CP - UNI

Go Green
October 7th, 2015, 09:46 PM
You guys should have seen the blocked punt/safety at Columbia-Princeton.