PDA

View Full Version : URI players suspended/dismissed

Libertine
October 6th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Bad news from Kingsport.

SOUTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. — Two football players at the University of Rhode Island were arrested and five others are under criminal investigation after a fight that injured several young men at the Chi Phi fraternity early Sunday morning.

Six fraternity brothers were injured, including three who were taken to South County Hospital for treatment of broken noses, lacerations and possible broken jaw and arm, said URI Public Safety Director Stephen Baker.

Defensive lineman Barrett Lyons, 19, of Belmont, Mass., and offensive lineman Michael LeBlanc, 20, of Charlton, Mass., are both charged with simple assault and disorderly conduct — charges that may be upgraded as the investigation continues, Baker said. Five other football players are also under investigation, he said.

As a result, LeBlanc, a freshman, has been permanently dismissed from the football team; Lyons and defensive end Nate Pauls, 18, of Hammonton, N.J., were suspended from the team indefinitely, pending the outcome of the police investigation. The other four players under investigation are suspended from Saturday's game against Delaware, URI spokeswoman Linda Acciardo said.

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20151005/NEWS/151009658

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 6th, 2015, 11:34 AM
No school is immune from such shenanigans. This is the last thing URI needed.

Mattymc727
October 6th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Poor Poor Rhody....

eiu1999
October 6th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Hate seeing guys throw away a great chance for education....But then then a lot probably don't care too much.

Pinnum
October 6th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Football players are up late studying after a Saturday game. They get hungry and are going to make something to eat but realize they are out of flour so a few of them go to the neighbors to ask if they can borrow a cup of flour. The neighbors are upset because, unknown to the football players because they had been so diligently studying, it is now early Sunday morning and the neighbors were sleeping. The neighbors are not pleased by their early morning visit and are very rude to the football players. The football players are not as polite as they otherwise would be, due to their low blood sugar brought on from the excessive demands placed on them as student-athletes all day, and try to apologize while still asking if they can have some flour. This upsets their neighbors and sets the neighbors off, leading the football players to be accosted. The other football players hear the commotion and come over to the neighbors just to be arrested by the police. If these young scholars would have been getting FCOA scholarships instead of being exploited by the University this would have never happened.

Mattymc727
October 6th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Any chance URI drops football soon? They tried to move to NEC and Patriot leagues recently, but this incident wont help. Looks like another dismal season at a cost of 4M for the athletic department. Considering what happened with other regional schools like BU, Northeastern, and Hofstra. Im wondering if URI is mulling over it.

superman7515
October 6th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Any chance URI drops football soon? They tried to move to NEC and Patriot leagues recently, but this incident wont help. Looks like another dismal season at a cost of 4M for the athletic department. Considering what happened with other regional schools like BU, Northeastern, and Hofstra. Im wondering if URI is mulling over it.

They didn't drop football after the '96 incident, so although I think they can do without it and don't support it as is, I doubt this will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Go...gate
October 6th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Any chance URI drops football soon? They tried to move to NEC and Patriot Leagues recently, but this incident wont help. Looks like another dismal season at a cost of 4M for the athletic department. Considering what happened with other regional schools like BU, Northeastern, and Hofstra. Im wondering if URI is mulling over it.

Didn't know this......

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 6th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Rhody has a deep and talented roster. They should be able to absorb this just fine.

superman7515
October 6th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Rhody has a deep and talented roster. They should be able to absorb this just fine.

Everyone soak this in. This is how it's done. Reppies to you sir!

http://i.imgur.com/Q9poCxZ.gif

Mattymc727
October 7th, 2015, 06:54 AM
They didn't drop football after the '96 incident, so although I think they can do without it and don't support it as is, I doubt this will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Back then they werent so far from a winning season. They have now gone 15 straight years without a winning season and the last few have been putrid. Its not good when even football supporters are saying its time to drop the program.

My guess is that they brought in Fleming hoping for a miracle and thats not happening. The talent level on that team is just SO low. Probably the best time to drop it, which would be horrible for northeast football.

UNHWildcat18
October 7th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Back then they werent so far from a winning season. They have now gone 15 straight years without a winning season and the last few have been putrid. Its not good when even football supporters are saying its time to drop the program.

My guess is that they brought in Fleming hoping for a miracle and thats not happening. The talent level on that team is just SO low. Probably the best time to drop it, which would be horrible for northeast football.

Besides travel distance for the New England and NY schools why would it be horrible, bad facilities, no winning team in 15 years. No real rivalry in the CAA. How would it be horrible? I want New England football to succeed as much as possible at both FBS and FCS levels though don't get me wrong

Mattymc727
October 7th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Besides travel distance for the New England and NY schools why would it be horrible, bad facilities, no winning team in 15 years. No real rivalry in the CAA. How would it be horrible? I want New England football to succeed as much as possible at both FBS and FCS levels though don't get me wrong

If URI leaves, who do you replace them with in the CAA north? Losing URI wouldnt be devastating to UNH, but considering the CAA was built from the old Yankee conference and almost all of those teams would be gone, nothing really holds any of the CAA teams together (Already seeing that as is).

Now if URI dropped football, and UNH, Maine, Albany, and Stony Brook joined the CAA as full time members, that would be better.

UNHWildcat18
October 7th, 2015, 09:42 AM
If URI leaves, who do you replace them with in the CAA north? Losing URI wouldnt be devastating to UNH, but considering the CAA was built from the old Yankee conference and almost all of those teams would be gone, nothing really holds any of the CAA teams together (Already seeing that as is).

Now if URI dropped football, and UNH, Maine, Albany, and Stony Brook joined the CAA as full time members, that would be better.

We don't have to replace them with a northern team. Maine UNH SBU Albany Villanova are all bus rides. So what we get one less ride to a CAA game. Also **** CAA for all sports what does UNH care about moving to another one bid league to play bball against UNCW? That's a more costly move. We drop Elon as well that's 5 northern 5 southern still.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Football players are up late studying after a Saturday game. They get hungry and are going to make something to eat but realize they are out of flour so a few of them go to the neighbors to ask if they can borrow a cup of flour. The neighbors are upset because, unknown to the football players because they had been so diligently studying, it is now early Sunday morning and the neighbors were sleeping. The neighbors are not pleased by their early morning visit and are very rude to the football players. The football players are not as polite as they otherwise would be, due to their low blood sugar brought on from the excessive demands placed on them as student-athletes all day, and try to apologize while still asking if they can have some flour. This upsets their neighbors and sets the neighbors off, leading the football players to be accosted. The other football players hear the commotion and come over to the neighbors just to be arrested by the police. If these young scholars would have been getting FCOA scholarships instead of being exploited by the University this would have never happened.

This sounds exactly like Joe Nocera's reasoning on the matter.

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 7th, 2015, 10:59 AM

What exactly was the '96 incident?

superman7515
October 7th, 2015, 02:06 PM
What exactly was the '96 incident?

http://www.cnn.com/US/9610/20/football.forfeit/

KINGSTON, Rhode Island (CNN) -- By several accounts, it was the most brazen act of violence ever seen on this rural campus.

Administrators and students at the University of Rhode Island are still reeling from what appears to be a premeditated assault by almost half the football team on a fraternity house there.

Rob Parsons, president of the Theta Delta Chi fraternity, described the intrusion: "They had a good number of them in the back watching the back door, some out in front watching the front door and the remaining 25 or 26 of them came into the house and walked up the stairs and just proceeded to kick in all the doors on that floor. And if you were in one of those rooms, that was it. You got pretty beat up."

Fraternity members believe the raid was in retaliation for a player being thrown out of a Theta Chi party earlier in the weekend.

At the time of the assault, seven fraternity brothers were in the house. Four managed to hold off the barrage behind locked doors, but three were beaten badly and treated at a local hospital.

When it was all over, witnesses say, the players walked to their cars and drove away.

In all, school officials say, at least 31 football players were involved in the raid.

Two players have been dismissed from the team. Twenty-nine received some form of suspension. The university has referred the case to the state attorney general's office for possible criminal charges and the president has forfeited Saturday's game against rival University of Connecticut. According to the NCAA, it's the first-ever forfeiture due to disciplinary action...

Mattymc727
October 7th, 2015, 02:30 PM
We don't have to replace them with a northern team. Maine UNH SBU Albany Villanova are all bus rides. So what we get one less ride to a CAA game. Also **** CAA for all sports what does UNH care about moving to another one bid league to play bball against UNCW? That's a more costly move. We drop Elon as well that's 5 northern 5 southern still.

Well Elon isnt going anywhere. Also, If UNH cared about basketball (which it probably doesnt), the CAA is a better league than America lEast.

UNHWildcat18
October 7th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Well Elon isnt going anywhere. Also, If UNH cared about basketball (which it probably doesnt), the CAA is a better league than America lEast.

Yeah I understand that Elon isn't going anywhere it's just annoying since the CAA wanted to expand south they added them and even though they aren't good they automatically get put into CAA football. CAA is now only slightly better and it's way more money for all sports to travel around for a still one bid league in every sport.

KPSUL
October 7th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Yeah I understand that Elon isn't going anywhere it's just annoying since the CAA wanted to expand south they added them and even though they aren't good they automatically get put into CAA football. CAA is now only slightly better and it's way more money for all sports to travel around for a still one bid league in every sport.

Why all the virulence for Elon? It's a solid University with a good reputation making a commitment to try to step up it's football program. They have a very good FCS facility and a sizable, supportive fan base. They've only been in the CAA for one full year. They also had some very competitive SOCON teams not all that long ago, 2007-2011. And that was when App. St. and Georgia So. were still in the conference.

BucBisonAtLarge
October 7th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Well, UMass is being tossed from the MAC after this season...

Pinnum
October 7th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Well, UMass is being tossed from the MAC after this season...

Yes, but for some reason they are determined to keep pushing to FBS even with the Lowell Campus gaining on them with the Boston area support.

UMass is committed to going alone as an independent.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-umass-minutemen-football-schedule.php
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-umass-minutemen-football-schedule.php

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 7th, 2015, 07:53 PM
St. Francis University could replace Rhode Island.

melloware13
October 7th, 2015, 08:40 PM
If anyone would replace them north of the M-D Line, I'd think Monmouth would be at the top of the list. If URI left, it wouldn't change the CAA outside of football, since they're in the A10.

UNHWildcat18
October 7th, 2015, 10:48 PM
If anyone would replace them north of the M-D Line, I'd think Monmouth would be at the top of the list. If URI left, it wouldn't change the CAA outside of football, since they're in the A10.

If Bryant decided to go 63 scholarships who do you take between the two? Not that either would get in due to stadium size (ask Albany about requirements)

SENOREIDA
October 8th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Please take Monmouth, I will find it funny when the Big South explodes after next year.

Catsfan90
October 10th, 2015, 02:23 PM
After today this lost a little bit of it humour...

KPSUL
October 10th, 2015, 02:33 PM
apparently all the URI players dismissed or suspended are better at fighting than football.