PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-5

JALMOND
October 5th, 2015, 10:14 PM
One month down, one and a half months left and we have cut the number of Big Sky teams who think they have a shot from 8 at the beginning of the year to, ummm, 8. Parity has reared its head in the first month and the conference games will decide who wins the title, who goes on to the playoffs, and who is going to stay home. Winning on the road is going to be huge this year. Those teams that can win on the road and hold serve at home will be moving on. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only and all open for discussion (and probably a lot of discussion).

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, bye, this week Cal Poly at home---The Eagles found that the rules held true for them from September, that is with all the carnage around them, it is best not to play. No avoiding teams anymore, they jump right back into conference play this weekend.

2. Montana (4)---Last week, won at UC-Davis 27-13, this week Weber State at home---Maybe not as pretty, or maybe not as dominating, but the Grizzlies got a hard-fought conference road win last week. Road wins are good, but they don't want to stub their paws at home.

3. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week, beat Montana State at home 49-41, this week at UC-Davis---The Lumberjacks got themselves righted for the start of October and have entrenched themselves in the thick of the race. But still, road games are going to be tough, including the one this weekend.

4. North Dakota (7)---Last week, won at Portland State 19-17, this week Idaho State at home---The Dakotans showed some life from their offensive unit, enough to get a tough road win. Their defense still rises to the occasion and they will need that to continue.

5. Cal Poly (5)---Last week, beat Idaho State at home 58-26, this week at Eastern Washington---Maybe it was playing against the Bengals, but the Mustangs offense was hitting on all cylinders last week. They are going to need that offense to show up again this weekend.

6. Southern Utah (9)---Last week, won at Weber State 44-0, this week bye---The Thunderbirds defense was carrying the team so far this season, but obviously the offense showed up last week and they got a good road win. They get an off week to keep it going.

7. Montana State (2)---Last week, lost at Northern Arizona 49-41, this week Sacramento State at home---The Bobcats idea of the offense trying to score more points than the defense allows is slowly beginning to backfire. They need to find some defense in a hurry.

8. Portland State (3)---Last week, lost to North Dakota at home 19-17, this week at North Texas (C-USA)---The Vikings special season took a big hit last week with a tough home conference loss. Now they move up a level again before a tough conference gauntlet to run.

9. Weber State (8)---Last week, lost to Southern Utah at home 44-0, this week at Montana---The Wildcats looked like early season contenders, then they could not get and production from either side of the ball. Now, they have to try to get better in a tough place to play.

10. UC-Davis (11)---Last week, lost to Montana at home 27-13, this week Northern Arizona at home---The Aggies have had a tough season as they have played close games, but cannot seem to get the win. Things don't look to promising with another conference contender coming to town.

11. Northern Colorado (13)---Last week, won at Sacramento State 27-20, this week bye---Don't look now, but the Bears actually won a conference game last week. Their defense actually won it, they still have not seen anything of their offense. But it does feel good, however.

12. Idaho State (12)---Last week, lost at Cal Poly 58-26, this week at North Dakota---The Bengals pitiful slide continued with a terrible defensive showing last week. Not surprising since the defense really has never showed up yet. They may need some form of defense this weekend.

13. Sacramento State (10)---Last week, lost to Northern Colorado at home 27-20, this week at Montana State---The Hornets season took a turn for the worse last week, losing what was supposed to be an "easy" game. Things get more difficult now.

RECAP: 1, then 2-8 just behind, 9-10 falling off the pace, 11-13 bringing up the rear.

tomq04
October 6th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Rooting for No Dak! And hoping for No Colorado to get another win!

tomq04
October 6th, 2015, 12:40 PM
What does it look like for PSU vs N Texas? Another FBS win would be huge, but do they have the gas?

Nodak78
October 6th, 2015, 12:59 PM
I'm sure N Texas is hungry for a win. PSU impressed me and they are physical. UND lost 4 players in that game. I think PSU pulls another upset.

bobcathpdevil56
October 6th, 2015, 02:31 PM
J, I can see dropping MSU, but below CP? They spanked Cal Poly two weeks ago.

I know the defense is attrocious sometimes, but really how many more teams are we gonna face that use Go/Fade routes and spread running attacks? JK

UNDColorado
October 6th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I like the way this is trending!

Nodak78
October 6th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Yep UND moved from 7th to 4th this last week. beginning of the season we were picked 9th. I hope we don't falter because of all the injuries. We may need to set up a mash unit.

JALMOND
October 7th, 2015, 01:52 AM
Yep UND moved from 7th to 4th this last week. beginning of the season we were picked 9th. I hope we don't falter because of all the injuries. We may need to set up a mash unit.

In all my 12 years of doing this, I don't think I've ever influenced a poll or poll voters. But, you're welcome. :D

MTfan4life
October 7th, 2015, 02:11 AM
6. Southern Utah (9)---Last week, won at Weber State 44-0, this week bye---The Thunderbirds defense was carrying the team so far this season, but obviously the offense showed up last week and they got a good road win. They get an off week to keep it going.

Actually, it was the defense and special teams that once again controlled the game for Southern Utah. They had two interception return TDs and one punt return TD. The offense played pretty well and mistake free, but they only had 3 drives over 50 yards. It was the defense forcing 6 turnovers that was the key factor.

I'd go with:
Eastern Washington
Montana
Montana State
Southern Utah
Cal Poly
Northern Arizona
North Dakota
Portland State
Weber State
UC-Davis
Idaho State
Northern Colorado
Sacramento State

mvemjsunpx
October 7th, 2015, 02:47 AM
Actually, it was the defense and special teams that once again controlled the game for Southern Utah. They had two interception return TDs and one punt return TD. The offense played pretty well and mistake free, but they only had 3 drives over 50 yards. It was the defense forcing 6 turnovers that was the key factor.

Right. SUU's offense actually didn't do a whole lot in that one.

tomq04
October 10th, 2015, 09:30 PM
Throw it all out, there are no power teams?

edit: PSU is the power team, wtf.