PDA

View Full Version : National Freshman of the Year

BrevardMountaineer03
December 4th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Okay, I've been thinking of this for awhile. I don't think there is a sponsored award, but we can make an unofficial AGS award of National Freshman of the Year.

My vote Armanti Edwards..(this isn't smack or hatin') but tell me a Freshman that has lead his team like Edwards. I don't think that you can name another Freshman (this year) that put up the numbers like Edwards. He has changed Apps offense. I was a Trey Elder fan at the beginning of the year, but Edwards is just to good. If there are other conferences that havfe excellent Freshman, let's hear about 'em.

December 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM
over the entire year, not just a few games... hmmmm. Edwards is a strong candidate...

BrevardMountaineer03
December 4th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Okay, I hate to reply to my own post, but if you send me a message with your thought for Freshman of the Year (other then Edwards) I am willing to (I know, I know) add a poll and let us all vote. It doesn't bother me if we just discuss, I just like numbers.(Although they would probably be skewed due to so many ASU supporters on here.)

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Okay, I hate to reply to my own post, but if you send me a message with your thought for Freshman of the Year (other then Edwards) I am willing to (I know, I know) add a poll and let us all vote. It doesn't bother me if we just discuss, I just like numbers.(Although they would probably be skewed due to so many ASU supporters on here.)

Obviously, Edwards is the prime leading candidate for such an award. I would however submit consideration, UNH freshman RB Chad Kackert. He was part of a RB rotation much of the year, but he had some huge crunch time runs and catches (season opening win over Big 10 Northwestern, UMAINE rushing TD for the win in OT, Hampton winning TD catch on 4th & 15 to name just three) and a huge 87 yard scamper against UMASS last week to answer a dominating opening drive by the Minutemen).

The kid is not real big, but he was an absolute dynamo for his Simi Valley, CA HS team for 4 years and has already picked up in the A-10 where he left off in HS.

I know there are better overall statistical years out there, but the kid has been exciting......

Bobcat in NC
December 5th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Edwards, hands-down. The kid makes some mistakes (don't ALL freshmen?) and has a great supporting cast, but you can't look past the fact that he hasn't lost as the starter. Good arm, great feet. Should be a fun next 3 years in Boone...

Jackluv
December 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Alex Henderson....first 1000+ freshman rusher at NAU. Big Sky Newcomer of the Year. National Player of the Week 1 time this year.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Okay, we have some (other people) votes for Edwards, Henderson from NAU, and Kackert from NH...anyone else got nominations?

Thank you to other teams fans that support Edwards...I don't want this to seem like an App biased thread.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2006, 08:23 PM
DE Gary Tharrington of Appalachian State is a redshirt, but he has also had a great year for the Mountaineers. His replacing of Jason Hunter has been every bit as important to the ASU defense as Edwards has been to the offense.

smallcollegefbfan
December 5th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Okay, we have some (other people) votes for Edwards, Henderson from NAU, and Kackert from NH...anyone else got nominations?

Thank you to other teams fans that support Edwards...I don't want this to seem like an App biased thread.

Here are some freshmen to look at:

RB Trevvyn Smith, Weber State
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon
P Rashan Cylar, Alabama A&M

MU Alum
December 5th, 2006, 08:33 PM
David Sinisi from Monmouth. 754 yds Rushing, 4.4 yd per carry 13 Rushing TD's, 20 catches 269 yds. 1 TD.

Overall 1023 all purpose yds, 14 TD's.

The only player in Division I to score a TD in every game this year.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 5th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Here are some freshmen to look at:

RB Trevvyn Smith, Weber State
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon
P Rashan Cylar, Alabama A&M

I have no problems with Smith or Cylar, but Edwards won both Media and Coaches SoCon Freshman Award.

Also, Mr. C, I agree with you about Tharrington taking over for Hunter, those were big shoes to fill and he is filling them nicely...if it weren't for Edwards I would have to show him some love also, but I think you have to be the best Freshman in your conference to be the best in the Nation....
That's no slap to either Hudgins or Tharrington....Elon had one heck of a year throwing the ball, and ASU's defense is well....ASU's defense!

Also, Sinsi of Monmouth a candidate, scoring in every game is a big deal.

:twocents: In my humble opinion leading the number 1 team to an undefeated Conference Championship and #1 seed in the playoffs, putting up pretty impressive numbers.:twocents:
I Like the comments. Keep them coming.....