PDA

View Full Version : Armanti or Richie?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2006, 09:10 PM
What do you think, Socon fans? It is early in Edwards' career, but do you think he will be a better QB than Richie Williams? I think Richie has better awareness, but he doesn't run quite as well. Either way, I think AE is going to be a headache for us the next several seasons.

KiddBrewer
December 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM
until he gets past the richies numbers, which he will probably no doubt do, richie's still my choice....now, if armanti gets were to get us 4 national championships:rotateh: throw those numbers out the window.....all fun, no smack.

SirApp
December 4th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I truly think Armanti will be much, much better than Richie. He does need to work on his awareness (which he has vastly improved on since the beginning of the year). Also, he needs to add some bulk. He scares the hell outta me when he breaks out for a run. I am the same exact size as him, so I always just imagine myself running around and getting crushed my 220lbs linebackers. :D

KiddBrewer
December 4th, 2006, 09:22 PM
id wager to say he gains 15-20 pounds before next year.

Appguy
December 4th, 2006, 09:22 PM
comparison is blastphemy until he gets close to richie's school records:bow:

single season
passing yards (3,109),
completions (234)
touchdown passes (24),
completion percentage (.669)
total offense (3,393)
went 40-for-45 in a game against #2 furman at the time

but yes armanti is by far faster but has a lot less touch on his balls
Armanti is more a ground threat than air threat

mistersykes
December 4th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I see Armanti going to classes some days, and well, he's like a toothpick!

Although the early signs are good for Armanti, give him a few years before determining who is better. Richie will be tough to top, but as others have said, it's almost like Richie never left. He just changed uniforms.xlolx :thumbsup:

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I see Armanti going to classes some days, and well, he's like a toothpick!

Although the early signs are good for Armanti, give him a few years before determining who is better. Richie will be tough to top, but as others have said, it's almost like Richie never left. He just changed uniforms.xlolx :thumbsup:

Don't worry about whether or not he will "bulk up". GSU's Greg Hill was a twig as a freshman and was a twig as a senior, yet he was an excellent runner and most GSU fans would say he is the second best or even best quarterback we have ever had. Also, I don't believe he ever missed a game due to injury even though he was a running quarterback. Ditto with Jayson Foster, who is 5'8" or so.

Also, you have to be impressed with how Armanti breaks tackles despite not having a lot of meat on him...he doesn't have to run to the corners, he goes up the middle just fine.

appfan2008
December 4th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I like Armanti a lot but he is a freshman. He hasn't won a NC (yet) nor hold any records. I would definately take Richie as it stands right now. I truly believe though Armanti has the chance of being better and much better. His biggest problem besides the obvious and aforementioned lack of bulk (i have seen him around to (i am 5'10" 140 so similar build) and goodness he is slight) is turnovers. Interceptions and fumbles are his biggest spots of needed improvement. It was him that gave us those three turnovers versus MSU. But he is a freshman so he should improve.

SirApp
December 4th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I'm comparing Richie in his sophmore year and Armanti now. We must remember, Richie turned the ball over quite a few times as well when he first started.

Armanti has vast potential. I'd agree with the gaining pounds comment as well. He should be 180 by August of next year.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 4th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I don't know if you can compare anybody to Richie, the man who brought the trophy to Boone, but with that said Armanti will be a special player. Check out my new thread.

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM
10/9/04 vs. Furman says it all for me...

Richie.

It's good to know that this isn't a real 'either-or' situation; I'm glad to have gotten chances to see both QB's play.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 4th, 2006, 10:09 PM
It's good to know that this isn't a real 'either-or' situation; I'm glad to have gotten chances to see both QB's play.

Amen to that brother:thumbsup:

Saint3333
December 4th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Armanti had a better freshman season than Richie, it will take three more years like this one to break his records. I hope he can do it.:D

KiddBrewer
December 4th, 2006, 11:11 PM
He hasn't won a NC (yet) nor hold any records.

check that, most rushing yards by a quarterback in a season=Armanti Edwards

appfan2008
December 4th, 2006, 11:20 PM
by bad good call on the quarterback single season rushing record i knew that just wasnt thinking

Chi Panther
December 4th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Not a knock on either.....both are very talented.....but both are very lucky to have played on such talented and COMPLETE teams.....:twocents:

HLecter
December 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Who give a ****?

Richie SCHMITCHIE

Edwards SCHMEDWARDS

Go post this **** on your own personal board

We don't care--go away now:nono:

thmst30
December 5th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Who give a ****?

Richie SCHMITCHIE

Edwards SCHMEDWARDS

This is a CS board jackass, we post anything about CS. People like you bring the whole thing down.

HLecter
December 5th, 2006, 12:50 AM
This is a CS board jackass, we post anything about CS. People like you bring the whole thing down.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Appguy
December 5th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Richie SCHMITCHIE won a national championship last year and Edwards SCHMEDWARDS could do it this year with 2 more wins so yes...WE do care

ncguitarplyr
December 5th, 2006, 02:26 AM
from what i hear edwards is kinda quiet and leads but only by example...but that kinda fits with the no huddle offense scheme so that might be ok...if the choices are could i take richie his freshman year or armanti his freshman year i take armanti...armanti is almost as good as richie was last year and by the end of his career armanti will be the best qb in all of fcs football...if he can avoid injury which is a big if

SirApp
December 5th, 2006, 03:24 AM
from what i hear edwards is kinda quiet and leads but only by example...but that kinda fits with the no huddle offense scheme so that might be ok...if the choices are could i take richie his freshman year or armanti his freshman year i take armanti...armanti is almost as good as richie was last year and by the end of his career armanti will be the best qb in all of fcs football...if he can avoid injury which is a big if

Wouldn't go so far to say that. Armanti doesn't hold a candle next to Richie as far as passing goes. Also can't forget Richie's overall leadership as well. He was a 3-year captain, which is pretty unheard.

But as I've said previously, Armanti will accomplish more by the time he graduates. And yea, I would take Armanti in his freshman year over Richie in his freshman year because Richie was the backup to Burchette.

th0m
December 5th, 2006, 06:46 AM
All I can say is that you guys are lucky to have a freshman QB that seems to fit right in with your team, and knows how to win games. Being in the semi's with a freshman QB will be huge. He'll only get better, and is getting huge experience. He started playing halfway through the JMU game, right?

james_lawfirm
December 5th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Who give a ****?

Richie SCHMITCHIE

Edwards SCHMEDWARDS

Son, chill.

Tealblood
December 5th, 2006, 07:51 AM
having seen both-- Edwards may come up short in the passing part eventually--- the size and the ability to see over the line but I do think Edwards is a little quicker

OL FU
December 5th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I, for one, am certainly hoping that Williams is the better quarterback:smiley_wi

james_lawfirm
December 5th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I, for one, am certainly hoping that Williams is the better quarterback:smiley_wi

OLFU:
I understand. I think Williams will be hard to duplicate. It must be remembered what Richie experienced when he first started. ASU played smash-mouth football at that time. He took over from Joe Burchette. The no-huddle spread was implemented just for Richie. But the team had to grow into it. As a fan, there were times when I wondered what in the heck they were thinking changing to this new scheme. It was a difficult transition - remember the 6 - 5 season? Guess what, now I'm a believer.

As for Edwards, he gets to step into a scheme that he was familiar with in high school apparently. So, he won't have to make many changes in his own play or in the existing system to get it to work for him. The rest of the team can pave the way for him to be as successful as he can be.

I think the difference between the two are the intangible qualities, not the passing yardage, rushing yardage, etc. NOBODY is a better leader than Richie was, both on and off the field. But, I think Edwards will do well here for the next few years.

DinoDex200
December 5th, 2006, 10:15 AM
We also have to consider that Richie pretty much ran 3 different offenses his 3 years as a starter. We went from our basic I-Formation to a Fun N' Gun to the Spread Option, and he did well in all of them.

I can't imagine what kind of numbers he would have put up if he had run the Spread Option for 3 years.

I will reserve judgement on Armanti. He needs to win at least one National Title before being mentioned alongside Richie.

OL FU
December 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM
OLFU:
I understand. I think Williams will be hard to duplicate. It must be remembered what Richie experienced when he first started. ASU played smash-mouth football at that time. He took over from Joe Burchette. The no-huddle spread was implemented just for Richie. But the team had to grow into it. As a fan, there were times when I wondered what in the heck they were thinking changing to this new scheme. It was a difficult transition - remember the 6 - 5 season? Guess what, now I'm a believer.

As for Edwards, he gets to step into a scheme that he was familiar with in high school apparently. So, he won't have to make many changes in his own play or in the existing system to get it to work for him. The rest of the team can pave the way for him to be as successful as he can be.

I think the difference between the two are the intangible qualities, not the passing yardage, rushing yardage, etc. NOBODY is a better leader than Richie was, both on and off the field. But, I think Edwards will do well here for the next few years.

I hope Williams is better because he is gone and Edwards has three more years:eek: :)

Appguy
December 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Just talked to armanti on the appalcart. I still am not sure so much that hes a leader, just seems like a quiet kid doing what hes told, and doing it well.

carney2
December 5th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Saw my first ASU game this past Saturday vs. Montana State. I was very impressed with Edwards. What happened to Elder? Did Edwards introduce him to Mr. Pine?

psc2445
December 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Saw my first ASU game this past Staurday vs. Montana State. I was very impressed with Edwards. What happened to Elder? Did Edwards introduce him to Mr. Pine?

pretty much, not well received within the app nation at the time, but now i believe we have all come to realize the coaches made the right decision.

mistersykes
December 5th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Just talked to armanti on the appalcart. I still am not sure so much that hes a leader, just seems like a quiet kid doing what hes told, and doing it well.

It's so funny that we just see him around. Freshies have to live on campus and all that jazz. Good stuff.:D

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM
check that, most rushing yards by a quarterback in a season=Armanti Edwards

really? how many yards rushing does he have?

psc2445
December 5th, 2006, 05:21 PM
really? how many yards rushing does he have?

962 yds

Applete
December 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I like Armanti a lot but he is a freshman. He hasn't won a NC (yet) nor hold any records. I would definately take Richie as it stands right now. I truly believe though Armanti has the chance of being better and much better. His biggest problem besides the obvious and aforementioned lack of bulk (i have seen him around to (i am 5'10" 140 so similar build) and goodness he is slight) is turnovers. Interceptions and fumbles are his biggest spots of needed improvement. It was him that gave us those three turnovers versus MSU. But he is a freshman so he should improve.

Actually Armanti holds the single season rushing record for a quarterback which was previously set by Richie Williams. Also, the MSU game was the most he's turned the ball over all year in a single game. It's also the first fumbles that I remember that he's had.

Applete
December 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I for one have called Armanti's number ever since i saw him in the Black and Gold scrimmage at the beginning of the year. You definitely have to say that he fits into the spread better than Trey and is more like Richie than Trey. Elder has also been known to fumbled, he fumbled more in the semi's and the national championship last year than did Armanti all this season i believe. I don't have anything against Trey, i'm just laying it out there.

SirApp
December 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Actually Armanti holds the single season rushing record for a quarterback which was previously set by Richie Williams. Also, the MSU game was the most he's turned the ball over all year in a single game. It's also the first fumbles that I remember that he's had.

He's fumbled 10 times this year, lost 4.

james_lawfirm
December 5th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I hope Williams is better because he is gone and Edwards has three more years:eek: :)

OK, sorry dude. I understood that was what you meant on the last post. I just took the ball and ran with it. I did not mean to give too much info. I'll do better next time.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2006, 07:58 PM
OLFU:

The 6-5 season had nothing to do with ANY mess-ups by Williams, or any problems with the new offense. It had everything to do with a defense that was playing without Corey Lynch, Jason Hunter, Dominique Dingle and Jonathan Lyles. When you lose three-quarters of your secondary and an All-American caliber defensive end, you are going to struggle. Richie Williams was a Payton Award finalist as a junior and a senior.

Armanti has a tremendous, natural ability as a runner that is superior to Richie's, but he has a long way to go to match Richie as an efficient passer. Of course, that being said, so do a lot of other FCS QBs. Richie was also a tremendous leader, one of the best I've ever seen. One of Armanti's biggest strengths is his calm demeanor on the field. He has maintained his poise through some unique challenges so far this season and I've seen nothing to rattle him.

I spent a few minutes with Richie on the sidelines on Saturday and I asked him what he thought of Armanti. "I like him ... a lot," Richie said. Richie told me he has been talking to Armanti about once a week and has been encouraging the youngster.

My opinion is that Richie is Richie and Armanti is Armanti. They are both unique and should be viewed accordingly.

Applete
December 5th, 2006, 08:06 PM
He's fumbled 10 times this year, lost 4.

Alot of those are credited to bad snaps. We've had some real snapping issues this year. He doesn't usually fumble on the run with the exception of this past saturday.