PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Week of SoCon games on tap for Saturday 10/10

woffordgrad94
October 4th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Hopefully we will have dried out some here in the area by then so we can see some quality football! We have some good games in the first full week of SoCon competition. Here is how I would rank the teams so far:

1) Chattanooga: FU will try to knock them off this perch Saturday
2) Furman: That defense looks stout
3) Samford: I'm not real sure how good these guys are quite yet
4) Wofford: Hung on for dear life in Macon; there are problems that need sorting out
5) The Citadel: Not real sure about how good these guys are either; they've been inconsistent
6) Mercer: Earned some respect from me Saturday
7) WCU: I thought they would be better; there's still time for them to do so
8) VMI: loss to Bucknell makes me think these are the same old Keydets
9) ETSU: I knew they'd struggle but damn; long way to go here

This weeks games:

FURMAN AT CHATTANOOGA (game of the week): This one will be an old fashioned hard hitting slobberknocker between two teams with high aspirations for 2015. Furman really believes they can and will win this game. Points will be at a premium here. The Paladins stay it in with there tough defense, but the Mocs have the home field and they are able to pull out the win a to stay atop the conference. But it won't come easy by any means. MOCS 17, PALADINS 10
WOFFORD AT THE CITADEL: This game scares me. Is this the year the Bulldogs end the 16 game losing streak to Wofford and beat the Terriers for the first time since 1998? They are certainly capable. If Wofford turns the ball over like they did in Macon they won't win this one. The Terriers play better against the Cadets in Charleston than they do in Spartanburg and I think the Terriers will be on their game and keep THE STREAK alive! TERRIERS 34, BULLDOGS 24.
MERCER AT WCU: This is an interesting one. Mercer can compete with anyone in this conference and very nearly knocked off Wofford Saturday. Western has been struggling, though they did look better in the second half against Presbyterian. This one could go any kind of way; not sure what to expect here. I will go out on kind of a limb and predict a Bear road victory and perhaps this biggest Mercer win to date in the young history of their football revival. BEARS 30, CATAMOUNTS 28
SAMFORD AT VMI: The Bulldogs are still kind of an unknown to me at this point. They hung in with the Mocs fairly well. As for the Keydets, they have a very talented quarterback but they still can't seem to put it together as a team and program. I think this one goes the Bulldogs' way, but they better not take VMI for granted. BULLDOGS 35, KEYDETS 21.
ETSU VS. BYE: Bye crushes the hapless Bucs 63-0.

chattownmocs
October 4th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Samford is the 2nd best team in the conference. Not sure who is 3rd. The attempt to paint this conference as anything resembling wide open seems laughable. Its the least wide open of any conference, maybe in all of college football.

SU DOG
October 4th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Not so sure on Samford myself. I think UTC exposed some weaknesses that other teams will exploit, but I sure hope I am wrong. Our safeties in particular are having trouble adjusting to new personnel and an injury or two. As for Furman vs UTC, I go with the Mocs. I know the Paladins have a very good defense, but QB Huesman can make a good defense look silly, and I don't see Furman winning this one. As for Wofford, please explain to me why Jacks doesn't start. Anyhow, I will go with the Terriers, but wouldn't want to bet money on it. I think WCU will win at home in a close one. Hopefully, Samford's off week will result in better play and the Dogs, with better talent, will prevail.

The Cats
October 4th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Furman at Chattanooga
Wofford at the Citadel
Mercer at WCU
Samford at VMI

ETSU Bye

bonarae
October 4th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Chatty (close)
Wofford (toss-up)
WCU
Samford

I hope ETSU gets the most out of their bye week by focusing on tackling and awareness.

tenNesseeCat
October 4th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Samford is the 2nd best team in the conference. Not sure who is 3rd. The attempt to paint this conference as anything resembling wide open seems laughable. Its the least wide open of any conference, maybe in all of college football.

Hahahaha!!! UTC gave up 428 yards to MH at a rate of 9.3 per pass and 5.4 per rush. FU put up 525 yards against CCU. It's any given saturday, right? I don't think FU needs that mentality to win on saturday. They are fully capable of trading blows. You've still got a lot of football left. Is there some sort of UTC biggest homer award that you are campaigning for? Yea, your train birds have built a solid program! Congrats! Stop making it a coserted effort to be the tool that makes people root against your team. If they make it, I'd like to pull for ya'll come playoff time. Don't be that douche.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Hahahaha!!! UTC gave up 428 yards to MH at a rate of 9.3 per pass and 5.4 per rush. FU put up 525 yards against CCU. It's any given saturday, right? I don't think FU needs that mentality to win on saturday. They are fully capable of trading blows. You've still got a lot of football left. Is there some sort of UTC biggest homer award that you are campaigning for? Yea, your train birds have built a solid program! Congrats! Stop making it a coserted effort to be the tool that makes people root against your team. If they make it, I'd like to pull for ya'll come playoff time. Don't be that douche.

Not worried about his opinion. Furman's already beaten one team as good if not better than UTC (UCF) with a better defense. We can do so again.

tenNesseeCat
October 4th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Furman
Wofford
WCU
Samford

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2015, 08:42 PM

No offense, but you obviously haven't been on this board very long. Chattown has been running his mouth like that for 5 years on here (actually, this season has been his tamest by far).

But if you completely root against a team because of one person, then so be it (everybody on here has a resident yahoo...including WCU). :)

BearDownMU
October 4th, 2015, 09:03 PM
And if you look around and can't figure out who your resident yahoo is? It's probably you.

chattownmocs
October 4th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Not worried about his opinion. Furman's already beaten one team as good if not better than UTC (UCF) with a better defense. We can do so again.

I laughed.

woffordgrad94
October 4th, 2015, 09:24 PM
To tell the truth, I am very apprehensive about The Citadel game. We had three turnovers, three block kicks (a PAT and two FGs) and too many penalties in Macon against Mercer. It's a small miracle we still won the game. If we do that Saturday, we probably won't even be in the game. I wouldn't bet a cent on this game. It could really go either way. it could be a close game or a blowout- in either direction. My prediction was at least as much with my heart as it was with my head. I just like to think we won't have two bad games in a row...but that's far from a guarantee.

As to why Jacks hasn't started every game, I have no clue. We all wonder about that.

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2015, 09:25 PM
As good if not better than UTC (UCF) with a better defense

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one...and Sagarin would disagree with you...and Massey...and just about every other rating system.

You are equating a resident member of the ESPN Bottom 10 with the top 10 of FCS team.

woffordgrad94
October 5th, 2015, 12:37 AM
A bit off topic, but I noticed they have almost 60,000 students at UCF. You'd think they'd be a national football power along the lines of Ohio State with those enrollment numbers.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 04:16 AM
Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one...and Sagarin would disagree with you...and Massey...and just about every other rating system.

You are equating a resident member of the ESPN Bottom 10 with the top 10 of FCS team.

Sagarin has UTC at 99 and UCF at 113. If you want to use that metric, there's not that much of a difference.

UCF is not having a great season, but they'd be a top 10 FCS team. No doubt in my mind on that one.

chattownmocs
October 5th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Sagarin has UTC at 99 and UCF at 113. If you want to use that metric, there's not that much of a difference.

UCF is not having a great season, but they'd be a top 10 FCS team. No doubt in my mind on that one.

They wouldn't be. They are winless and they lost to furman. Who the hell would rank them in the top 10?

OL FU
October 5th, 2015, 06:26 AM
1. Chattanooga - no real argument until someone beats them.
After that is pretty much up for grabs except for VMI at the bottom since they simply refuse to win (except for Morehead obviouslyxeyebrowx)
But here goes nothing
2. Samford - The Chattanooga game was certainly a disappointment and many have dropped Samford down because of it. I am not convinced that when Chattanooga is on their game (which has been mildly schizophrenic)that any teams in the SoCon will do better than Samford. So we will leave Samford there.
3. Wofford - maybe 3 and 4 should switch. Will know more after this week.
4. Furman - Certainly rain the last two weekends have not helped, but if Furman finds the offense they had against CCU. They can compete with the rest of the conference. Defense is stout but you need some offense against the better teams.
5. Citadel - as much as us old timers hate to admit it. Charleston Southern ain't what they used to be.
6. Mercer - too bad the aren't playing at home this week
7. Western Carolina - Honestly not sure the difference between 2 and 7 is that great.
8. VMI needs to figure out how to win.

Wofford at The Citadel. The streak continues unless the Knobs gang tackle the Wofford team as they leave the bus.
Mercer at WCU - I know I have Mercer higher but the home team wins.
Samford at VMI - Not yet for VMI
Furman at Chattanooga. Obviously nothing would please me more than being wrong. Five games 1500 yards. Take out the game against CCU and we have four game 1000 yards. I understand the schedule and the weather. I also understand that the defense can keep us in games but when the competition gets better, the offense is going to have to as well. I am hoping they do (which will mean that this will be a great football game) I fear it won't. Chattanooga seems to play up or down to the competition. I don't think they will be overlooking my Paladins.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Furman's been giving the ball a lot to a true freshman, Triston Luke. Relative unknown to most SoCon fans, but reminds Furman fans a great deal of Jerodis Williams, who was a good back for us a few years ago. Even has the hair.

Great touchdown run from the game against SC State. Always love seeing the jump cut.

https://youtu.be/l68oWFEZiZQ

LarryBoy
October 5th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Chattownmoc's usual bravado aside, Furman/Chattanooga is a really interesting game. Hard to pin down.

The only "normal" game Furman has played this year is Coastal, and they lost by 3 to one of the best teams in FCS. The rest of their games have either been FBS games or played underwater.

The UCF win is definitely not one of the more notable FCS over FBS wins. UCF's offense is a real clunker without their top QB and top WR. But Furman fans saw a lot of things in that game to be happy about. Furman played tougher and harder despite all of the bounces going against them. Furman's defense pushed around an offensive front that was quite a bit larger at every position. With better bounces and replay officials, Furman wins that game by 2-3 scores.

At the same time, I have a difficult time predicting a Furman win over Chattanooga. Chattanooga has proven time and time again over the last season and a half that they have the discipline and gameplan to get it done on both sides of the ball and win. I really don't think there is much of a talent gap between UTC and the rest of the conference. They're simply a well-coached, good team. Furman, on the other hand, has struggled with consistency all year on offense, even in their victories.

If Furman can start playing more consistently and more disciplined on the offensive side of the ball, I absolutely think they'll be in the same class as Chattanooga. But they only have a week to figure that out.

CID1990
October 5th, 2015, 06:57 AM
1. Chattanooga - no real argument until someone beats them.
After that is pretty much up for grabs except for VMI at the bottom since they simply refuse to win (except for Morehead obviouslyxeyebrowx)
But here goes nothing
2. Samford - The Chattanooga game was certainly a disappointment and many have dropped Samford down because of it. I am not convinced that when Chattanooga is on their game (which has been mildly schizophrenic)that any teams in the SoCon will do better than Samford. So we will leave Samford there.
3. Wofford - maybe 3 and 4 should switch. Will know more after this week.
4. Furman - Certainly rain the last two weekends have not helped, but if Furman finds the offense they had against CCU. They can compete with the rest of the conference. Defense is stout but you need some offense against the better teams.
5. Citadel - as much as us old timers hate to admit it. Charleston Southern ain't what they used to be.
6. Mercer - too bad the aren't playing at home this week
7. Western Carolina - Honestly not sure the difference between 2 and 7 is that great.
8. VMI needs to figure out how to win.

Wofford at The Citadel. The streak continues unless the Knobs gang tackle the Wofford team as they leave the bus.
Mercer at WCU - I know I have Mercer higher but the home team wins.
Samford at VMI - Not yet for VMI
Furman at Chattanooga. Obviously nothing would please me more than being wrong. Five games 1500 yards. Take out the game against CCU and we have four game 1000 yards. I understand the schedule and the weather. I also understand that the defense can keep us in games but when the competition gets better, the offense is going to have to as well. I am hoping they do (which will mean that this will be a great football game) I fear it won't. Chattanooga seems to play up or down to the competition. I don't think they will be overlooking my Paladins.

your predictions suck and so does furmen

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Chattownmoc's usual bravado aside, Furman/Chattanooga is a really interesting game. Hard to pin down.

The only "normal" game Furman has played this year is Coastal, and they lost by 3 to one of the best teams in FCS. The rest of their games have either been FBS games or played underwater.

The UCF win is definitely not one of the more notable FCS over FBS wins. UCF's offense is a real clunker without their top QB and top WR. But Furman fans saw a lot of things in that game to be happy about. Furman played tougher and harder despite all of the bounces going against them. Furman's defense pushed around an offensive front that was quite a bit larger at every position. With better bounces and replay officials, Furman wins that game by 2-3 scores.

At the same time, I have a difficult time predicting a Furman win over Chattanooga. Chattanooga has proven time and time again over the last season and a half that they have the discipline and gameplan to get it done on both sides of the ball and win. I really don't think there is much of a talent gap between UTC and the rest of the conference. They're simply a well-coached, good team. Furman, on the other hand, has struggled with consistency all year on offense, even in their victories.

If Furman can start playing more consistently and more disciplined on the offensive side of the ball, I absolutely think they'll be in the same class as Chattanooga. But they only have a week to figure that out.

Fair assessment, I think. I don't think anyone expected Furman's offense to be the '99 Rams, but I would feel a lot better about them with a little more consistency. They are better than last season, but still too reliant on defense and the kicking game.

I think Furman's defense will hold the line. They are as strong, fast, and physical as any group Furman's put on the field since probably the 2003 team. Real matchup to watch is going to be Huseman v. Magwood. Huseman likes to run and Magwood likes to hit quarterbacks.

UTC is unquestionably the favorite. For Furman to win, they have got to move the football on offense. They don't necessarily need touchdowns every drive, but they need to maintain possession and convert points. With Hollingsworth, Furman typically needs only to get to the 35 to score. If we continue to spin our wheels and punt it back at midfield, it will be a long afternoon.

OL FU
October 5th, 2015, 07:18 AM
your predictions suck and so does furmen

But fortunately I didn't attend the Citadel:p

Catamount87
October 5th, 2015, 08:22 AM
This week's power rankings:

1 Chattanooga - Still top dog until someone whips them, can Furman do it this week?
2 (tie) Furman, Samford - Looking a bit better than 4-7
4 (tie) Wofford, Citadel, Mercer, WCU - Look for this logjam to break this week
8) VMI - It's a crying shame there isn't a defense to compliment this offense
9) ETSU - Thankfully they have a bye this week to get ready for the thumping they'll receive on the 17th.

This week's predictions:

FURMAN AT CHATTANOOGA (game of the week) - Furman believes they can but stats don't lie, the Mocs all the way
WOFFORD AT THE CITADEL: Statistically, a real close one and apparently mentally as well. I'm going with the better defense, The Citadel
MERCER AT WCU: Another slugfest in the SoCon but the Cats are finding their stride from 2014.
SAMFORD AT VMI: Look for lots of points in this one but Samford will be too much for the undermanned VMI defense

tenNesseeCat
October 5th, 2015, 09:14 AM
No offense, but you obviously haven't been on this board very long. Chattown has been running his mouth like that for 5 years on here (actually, this season has been his tamest by far).

But if you completely root against a team because of one person, then so be it (everybody on here has a resident yahoo...including WCU). :)

No, the length of time I've been on this forum does not offend me. Every post I have on here states when I became a member. I lurked on here for a while before I joined. I know what he's about. I just thought I would extend a few words of encouragement. I'm sure it won't change anything, but it didn't take much of my time. Who knows, maybe it will remind him to take his meds or something. I don't hold him against the rest of you. I'd be pulling for Furman even if he wasn't on here.

Vocal fans are like walking/typing advertisements for their preferred program. He is for UTC, what the App St. hot hot hot video was for them. Or a lot of their fans. I was just encouraging him to not try and fill the crappalachian st. fan void. I have many reasons why I root for/against teams other than mine. Opposing fans are a factor in that. For example, in choosing a college to attend, some app fans were a factor in my decision. I didn't want to live in an urban area, so I was limited to basically App and WCU. It was a split second, instinctive decision. Due in part to interactions with app fans that would crow about the football team in Boone, but couldn't even tell me who their starting QB was. This was before any of their NC's. Hypocritical, wanna-be hippies that drove v8 range rovers with Al Gore and Footslogger stickers on the the bumper got on my nerves too. I also didn't want to live in a more rural setting but still have to deal with Charlotte type traffic. Fans are one of the major reasons why I despise the SEC, and UNC.

Yes we all have "those" fans. Some are worse than others, and that stands out. You should be flattered that I usually pull for the underdog. Which has more to do with it than UTC's village idiot.

Toby
October 5th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Massey FCS Composite Rankings of 22 rankings (current and change from last week)

1. UTC 11, -1
2. Wofford 29, +3
3. Samford 31, -4
4. Furman 33, +4
5. Citadel 55, -2
6. WCU 61, +11
7. Mercer 71, -5
8. VMI 89, -1
9. ETSU 121, -2

Biggest movement this week is WCU moving up 11 spots and Mercer moving down 5. Interesting cluster of Wofford, Samford and Furman from 29-33.

eiu1999
October 5th, 2015, 10:25 AM
FURMAN AT CHATTANOOGA
WOFFORD AT THE CITADEL
MERCER AT WCU
SAMFORD AT VMI

FUGameBreaker
October 5th, 2015, 10:37 AM
A bit off topic, but I noticed they have almost 60,000 students at UCF. You'd think they'd be a national football power along the lines of Ohio State with those enrollment numbers.

They did beat Baylor in the Fiesta bowl 2 years ago, long way they have fallen in a very short time frame

ElCid
October 5th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Power Rankings
1. UTC: Still sitting pretty
2. Furman: Got it done, but does not look that good on O
3. Samford: may be a bigger enigma than Furman
4. Wofford: Knows how to win
5. The Citadel: This week may well be make or break
6. WCU: Dominated PC statistically but only pulled away late, mistake prone
7. Mercer: Oh so close...the Care Bears are certainly tenacious
8. VMI: Does not know how to win
Predictions
Furman at UTC - UTC makes it 4 in a row against Furman - 24-14
Samford at VMI - VMI can't get it together - 37-24
Wofford at The Citadel - The curse continues as Dogs fumble 5 times, the last one setting up the winning Wofford score; yes, I have become jaded - 26-20
Mercerat WCU - Mercer will have a breakthrough at some point but I don’t think it will be this week - 34-28

BearDownMU
October 5th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Early line is Chattanooga -15.5. Yowza. That is not what I expected.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2015, 04:20 AM

If I recall, we were close to a 4 touchdown underdog against UCF.

kdinva
October 6th, 2015, 05:18 AM
VMI's defense has performed good the past two games..........now, the offense.....

kdinva
October 6th, 2015, 05:20 AM
FURMAN 17 AT CHATTANOOGA 31
WOFFORD 24 AT THE CITADEL 20
MERCER 19 AT WCU 28
SAMFORD 33 AT VMI 24

Mocs123
October 6th, 2015, 05:52 AM
I think Chattanooga wins but I agree it will be by less than 15.5 points.

woffordgrad94
October 6th, 2015, 06:20 AM
I might be willing to bet some money on Furman with that line.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 6th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I was 5-0 last week. Beginning to see some level of separation. Here's where I have it this week.

1) Chattanooga - Had the week off resting for Furman
2) Furman - Paladins handled SC State with relative ease
3) Wofford - Survived a slugfest with Mercer
4) The Citadel - Off last week preparing for Wofford
5) Western Carolina - Took care of business against Presbyterian
6) Samford - Off last week preparing for VMI
7) Mercer - Came close but no cigar against Wofford
8) VMI - Showed they have a ways to go
ETSU - Needs to seriously look at getting a new head coach

Predictions
Furman @ Chattanooga (Game of the week) - Mocs fend off resurgent Paladins
Samford @ VMI - Bulldogs takedown the Keydets
Wofford @ The Citadel - Bulldogs chew up the Terriers
Mercer @ Western Carolina​ - Catamounts maul the Bears.

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Anybody interested in seeing the FU @ UTC game go in the poll for FCS game of the week head on over to AGS GOTW Week 6 thread and give the game a "second"

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 06:42 PM
The Furman at Chattanooga game has been placed in the FCS game of the week poll up against 2 MVFC games, to vote for it as game of the week visit this thread and get you're vote in (Cheers):

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?175183-AGS-GOTW-Week-6

AppApp
October 7th, 2015, 09:40 AM
my wife (wcu graduate) is thinking the catamounts will take mercer to the woodshed saturday, guess the bears still have not won her respect yet lol

walliver
October 7th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Power ratings:

1) Chattanooga - they stay here until they lose a SoCon game.
... gap here ...
2) FU - I'm not sure what the UCF win means, but no-one below them has a signature win.
3) Samford - bad loss to Mocs, but may have just been a bad day.
4) Wofford - QB by committee works at times, but not always
5) WCU - Team still hasn't impressed me yet.
6) The Citadel - Off to a fast start, but has stumbled since then. Still early enough in the year to recover.
7) Mercer - Now has an upperclassmen-dominated team, I expect them to move up
8) VMI - better than previous, but someone has to be last.

This week:
FU at Chatty - Are the Barnies for real this year, or was UCF a fluke. Chatty offense has struggled a little this year and Purple Pukes pull off a 24-21 upset.
Wofford at The Citadel - South Carolina Dog Championship on the line. Both teams practice against the TO everyday, so it will likely be a relatively low scoring game. Terriers' more-experienced QB (if he gets to play) will be the difference in a 17-13 Wofford win.
Mercer at WCU - Mercer is much improved, but I am still on the fence about WCU. Was last year's success a big step up for the Cants, or was everybody else just down. Rationally, I would predict a 2 score WCU win, but I have a feeling the Bears pull this out somehow 35-34.
Samford at VMI - footballs will be flying all over the field. I don't think the Virginians can score often enough to keep up with the Hatch Attack, and Samford wins 42-31
.. a giant ravine here ...
ETSU vs. BYE - The mountain Pirates fortunately don't lose this week. I expected more from ETSU this year, but I guess it is hard to recruit players with a promise of one day having a real stadium (Although I suspect Science Hill High School is still a step up from Charleston Southern).

Picking two upsets in one week is probably unwise, but I'm not putting any money on it.

CID1990
October 7th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Power ratings:

1) Chattanooga - they stay here until they lose a SoCon game.
... gap here ...
2) FU - I'm not sure what the UCF win means, but no-one below them has a signature win.
3) Samford - bad loss to Mocs, but may have just been a bad day.
4) Wofford - QB by committee works at times, but not always
5) WCU - Team still hasn't impressed me yet.
6) The Citadel - Off to a fast start, but has stumbled since then. Still early enough in the year to recover.
7) Mercer - Now has an upperclassmen-dominated team, I expect them to move up
8) VMI - better than previous, but someone has to be last.

This week:
FU at Chatty - Are the Barnies for real this year, or was UCF a fluke. Chatty offense has struggled a little this year and Purple Pukes pull off a 24-21 upset.
Wofford at The Citadel - South Carolina Dog Championship on the line. Both teams practice against the TO everyday, so it will likely be a relatively low scoring game. Terriers' more-experienced QB (if he gets to play) will be the difference in a 17-13 Wofford win.
Mercer at WCU - Mercer is much improved, but I am still on the fence about WCU. Was last year's success a big step up for the Cants, or was everybody else just down. Rationally, I would predict a 2 score WCU win, but I have a feeling the Bears pull this out somehow 35-34.
Samford at VMI - footballs will be flying all over the field. I don't think the Virginians can score often enough to keep up with the Hatch Attack, and Samford wins 42-31
.. a giant ravine here ...
ETSU vs. BYE - The mountain Pirates fortunately don't lose this week. I expected more from ETSU this year, but I guess it is hard to recruit players with a promise of one day having a real stadium (Although I suspect Science Hill High School is still a step up from Charleston Southern).

Picking two upsets in one week is probably unwise, but I'm not putting any money on it.

So WCU loses to El Cid 28-10 but WCU is ranked ahead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walliver
October 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM
So WCU loses to El Cid 28-10 but WCU is ranked ahead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see much separation once you get past Chattanooga. The Citadel had the better team in early September, but has lost their last two, not that WCU has accomplished much either.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I don't see much separation once you get past Chattanooga. The Citadel had the better team in early September, but has lost their last two, not that WCU has accomplished much either.

Interested to know your take. Looks like Mercer through for 277 yards against the Terriers. I typically consider Mercer a run-first team, but it looks like they had success against Wofford through the air.

Do you see that as a trouble spot for Wofford? Especially with teams like VMI, UTC, Furman, and Samford still left on the schedule (all of whom have QBs that can sling it).

walliver
October 7th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Interested to know your take. Looks like Mercer through for 277 yards against the Terriers. I typically consider Mercer a run-first team, but it looks like they had success against Wofford through the air.

Do you see that as a trouble spot for Wofford? Especially with teams like VMI, UTC, Furman, and Samford still left on the schedule (all of whom have QBs that can sling it).

Pass defense has been a problem for 10 years. Our run defense is strong, and most teams quickly transition to a passing attack.

OrangeAndBlack
October 7th, 2015, 01:22 PM
FURMAN AT CHATTANOOGA (game of the week): Chattanooga 28, Furman 16
WOFFORD AT THE CITADEL: Option versus Option? I'll say Wofford 24, Citadel 20
MERCER AT WCU: My guess is Mercer 38, WCU 31
SAMFORD AT VMI: Samford 45, VMI 22

FUGameBreaker
October 7th, 2015, 02:39 PM
FURMAN AT CHATTANOOGA
WOFFORD AT THE CITADEL (to close to pick, but probably take Citadel since they are the home team)
MERCER AT WCU
SAMFORD AT VMI

ElCid
October 7th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Pass defense has been a problem for 10 years. Our run defense is strong, and most teams quickly transition to a passing attack.

Yeah, ok, that's what we will do....oh wait a minute, maybe not.:(

catamount man
October 7th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Won't even begin to pick the Mercer game. They concern me. As far as the rest:
Samford over VMI
Furman over UTC
Wofford over El Cid

FUGameBreaker
October 8th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Just a friendly reminder (because the poll closes at 8pm today)

The Furman at Chattanooga game has been placed in the AGS FCS game of the week poll up against 2 MVFC games, to vote for it as game of the week visit this thread and get you're vote in:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?175183-AGS-GOTW-Week-6

Smitty
October 8th, 2015, 09:57 AM
1) Chattanooga
2) Furman
3) Samford
4) Wofford
5) The Citadel
6) Mercer
7) WCU
8) VMI

This weeks games:

Furman @ Chattanooga - as much as I would like to see UTC lose, they remain the pick until proven otherwise
Wofford @ The Citadel
Mercer @ WCU - Unfortunately I don't see WCU being as competitive in this game.
Samford @ VMI - Samford rolls

blackbeard
October 8th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Furman with the upset
Wofford in a close one
WCU gets by the Bears
Samford barely over the improving Keydets

FUGameBreaker
October 8th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Furman Looks To Extend Momentum Saturday Against Sixth-Ranked ChattanoogaGREENVILLE, S.C. -- Coming off a 17-3 victory over South Carolina State and sporting a three-game winning streak, Furman returns to Southern Conference play this Saturday when it travels to Chattanooga to face defending league champion and FCS sixth-ranked Mocs in a 1:00 p.m. clash at Finley Stadium.

The game will be carried by ESPN3

Continue reading article and FU game notes: http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2015-16/releases/20151008ir2iuv

Mocs123
October 8th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Really good games this week, that include (IMO) the top two SoCon teams (and top two SoCon defenses), the top two running offenses in the league (and #4 and #5 ranked teams), the #6 and #7 ranked teams, and the two top SoCon passing attacks. I expect a lot of close games.
My picks:

Furman 13
Chattanooga 17
A game showcasing two hard nosed defenses and my pick as the current 1-2 teams in the Conference. I think this one will be low scoring and close.

Wofford 31
Citadel 28
Two triple option teams collide and Wofford’s normal venerability of defending the pass doesn’t apply. Charleston is a tough place to play but I think Wofford Wins a back-and-forth game.

Mercer 28
Western Carolina 33
Mercer has proven they can play a close game with anyone and I don’t see this one any different, but I think Western wins at home.

Samford 45
VMI 31
The SoCons two most prolific passing teams clash in this game guaranteed to produce lots of yards. While the scorekeeper will get a workout, one of these high scoring teams has a defense and the other doesn’t. Samford wins on the road.

1.) Chattanooga - Had a bye week to get ready for the Paladins.
2.) Furman - Furman’s defense can play with anybody at our level. The last few games have made it hard to gauge the offense. I think Furman is a playoff team.
3.) Samford - Off last week. The offense should get to stretch it legs this weekend
4.) Wofford - Won a crazy shootout with Mercer in OT
5.) Citadel -Off
6.) Western Carolina - Took care of business against the Big South
7.) Mercer - Should have won the game against Wofford. They aren’t winning but staying close.
8.) VMI - Couldn’t come up with a win against the Patriot League.
9.) ETSU - Starting a program is tough, but they need to give the fans something to be hopefull about.

APaladindad
October 8th, 2015, 11:20 PM
They wouldn't be. They are winless and they lost to furman. Who the hell would rank them in the top 10?
Are you going to say that on Saturday afternoon after the mocs lose to Furman?

APaladindad
October 8th, 2015, 11:38 PM
If I recall, we were close to a 4 touchdown underdog against UCF.

Furman has been an underdog in every game they have played this year! 3 out of 5 times they have proven the odds makers. I would like to see that change this weekend 4 out of 6 times they were wrong!

CID1990
October 9th, 2015, 04:00 AM

If we throw more than 5 passes and complete 50% or more of them then the answer to that question will be yes.

Mocs123
October 9th, 2015, 07:43 AM
"Furman has been an underdog in every game they have played this year! 3 out of 5 times they have proven the odds makers. I would like to see that change this weekend 4 out of 6 times they were wrong!"

Furman has played the toughest schedule in the SoCon (and probably one of the most difficult in FCS) despite what our most notorious fan says, however I doubt that Furman was the underdog against VMI or SC State. They certainly weren't to me. I think the SoCon gets two teams in this year and I think Furman is one of them. Of course that doesn't mean I hope your not disappointed on Saturday :).

It pains me that one fan has made us the most hated team on AGS.

SCPALADIN
October 9th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Furman has been an underdog in every game they have played this year! 3 out of 5 times they have proven the odds makers. I would like to see that change this weekend 4 out of 6 times they were wrong!

I find it hard to believe that we were an underdog against VMI.

SCPALADIN
October 9th, 2015, 08:08 AM
"Furman has been an underdog in every game they have played this year! 3 out of 5 times they have proven the odds makers. I would like to see that change this weekend 4 out of 6 times they were wrong!"

Furman has played the toughest schedule in the SoCon (and probably one of the most difficult in FCS) despite what our most notorious fan says, however I doubt that Furman was the underdog against VMI or SC State. They certainly weren't to me. I think the SoCon gets two teams in this year and I think Furman is one of them. Of course that doesn't mean I hope your not disappointed on Saturday :).

It pains me that one fan has made us the most hated team on AGS.

I wouldn't go that far. He's definitely the Village Idiot. He holds the distinction as the only poster in the ten years I've been on the AGS to have multiple threads devoted to him. So he's got that going for him...which is nice.

FUGameBreaker
October 9th, 2015, 10:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP4CqVpZYCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Y-nQw1nRE

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2015, 05:43 PM
WOW...WCU scores (what appears to be) the go ahead TD with 42 seconds left in the game...

Furman 3
Chattanooga 31
(A: 7,630)

Samford 49
VMI 13
(A: 4,875)

Wofford 12
The Citadel 39
(A: 10,428)

Mercer 21
Western Carolina 24
(A: )

kdinva
October 10th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Samford 49
VMI 13
(A: 4,875)

Keydets cut the lead to 21-13, then.......... xconfusedx Samford does have fine team speed.....that was one huge difference, as was Sammy going 14-20 on 3rd down.

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Mercer starts at their own 39 and has 34 seconds to get into FG range to try and get it to OT.

EDIT: 10 yard pass. 1st down to the WCU 43
EDIT: 2nd down: incomplete pass
EDIT: Pass to the WCU 25. 1st down.
EDIT: 2nd down: incomplete pass
EDIT: 3rd down: Timeout WCU clock :05

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Mercer misses the FG, WCU wins.

catamount man
October 10th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Mercer misses the FG, WCU wins.

What a game in Cullowhee. You guys certainly impressed today. GO CATS!

SU DOG
October 10th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Keydets cut the lead to 21-13, then.......... xconfusedx Samford does have fine team speed.....that was one huge difference, as was Sammy going 14-20 on 3rd down.

The Samford depth on defense was another huge factor. Turnovers also helped the Dogs. Anyone seeing this score that has yet to play VMI might write this team off as an easy "W". That could be a BIG mistake. I remember last year at Samford this game was basically over in the first quarter - not so today. VMI has drastically improved on defense. No, I'm not saying that they are a top SoCon team, but I do applaud them for their progress.

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2015, 07:50 PM
1. Chattanooga 10,978
Jacksonville State 15,812
Mars Hill 9,491
Furman 7,630

2. Mercer 10,878
Stetson 11,267
Wofford 10,489

3. Western Carolina 10,006
Mars Hill 12,348
Presbyterian 9,191
Mercer 8,479

4. The Citadel 9,785
Davidson 8,665
Western Carolina 8,048
Charleston Southern 11,998
Wofford 10,428

East Tennessee State 7,497
Kennesaw State 8,217
Maryville 7,357
Emory & Henry 8,413
St. Francis 6,000

5. Samford 6,887
Central Arkansas 6,259
Florida A&M 4,714
Chattanooga 9,088

6. Wofford 6,883
Tennessee Tech 6,834
Gardner-Webb 6,932

7. Furman 5,160
Coastal Carolina 6,563
VMI 7,915
South Carolina State 1,002

8. VMI 4,535
Morehead State 5,016
Bucknell 3,713
Samford 4,875

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Furman's already beaten one team as good if not better than UTC (UCF) with a better defense. We can do so again.

Cough, Cough.

As I stated earlier in the week, UCF would not be a top 10 FCS team.

...and after losing by 27 at home to UConn today, they are now 0-6. Granted, they are not North Texas bad, but they seem to be at least in the area of Georgia State bad.