PDA

View Full Version : Furman @ Chattanooga (Hey chattownmocs, you're going down!)

FUGameBreaker
October 4th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Big game in the SoCon this week, chattownmocs might not get any sleep, you're going down little buddy! xnodx

LarryBoy
October 4th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I seriously doubt chattownmocs fears Furman. Or would admit to fearing anything or anyone.

Furman's defense is worthy of fear. Unfortunately, Furman's offense (so far) is worthy of pity.

Should be an interesting one, for sure!

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Game of the year to this point in the conference.

Best way to beat Furman is for your defense to force our offense to surrender field position.

FUGameBreaker
October 4th, 2015, 11:14 AM
I seriously doubt chattownmocs fears Furman. Or would admit to fearing anything or anyone.

Furman's defense is worthy of fear. Unfortunately, Furman's offense (so far) is worthy of pity.

Should be an interesting one, for sure!

Yep absolutly, FU's offense needs to turn it up a notch or two

- - - Updated - - -

Game of the year to this point in the conference.

Best way to beat Furman is for your defense to force our offense to surrender field position.

Yeah its a big one!
Could come down to who wins the turnover battle.

centennial
October 4th, 2015, 11:19 AM
On ESPN3?

SU DOG
October 4th, 2015, 11:35 AM
On ESPN3?
YES 1:00 PM Eastern Time

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2015, 11:47 AM
YES 1:00 PM Eastern Time

Bet I know who Samford is pulling for.

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Bet I know who Samford is pulling for.

I know who everyone in the SoCon, save some diehard The Citadel fans, is pulling for. ;)

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2015, 12:01 PM
After 20 years of nearly complete dominance in the series by Furman, Chattanooga has flipped the win column the last 5 years...

Last Five Games:
2014 - W 45-19 - Greenville
2013 - W 31-09 - Chattanooga
2012 - W 31-10 - Greenville
2011 - L 07-14 - Chattanooga
2010 - W 36-28 - Greenville

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2015, 12:53 PM
After 20 years of nearly complete dominance in the series by Furman, Chattanooga has flipped the win column the last 5 years...

Last Five Games:
2014 - W 45-19 - Greenville
2013 - W 31-09 - Chattanooga
2012 - W 31-10 - Greenville
2011 - L 07-14 - Chattanooga
2010 - W 36-28 - Greenville

UTC's rise has certainly coincided with Furman's recent struggles. Worth noting that UTC has not seen Reese Hannon since 2012, when he was a true freshman.

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2015, 01:02 PM
UTC's rise has certainly coincided with Furman's recent struggles. Worth noting that UTC has not seen Reese Hannon since 2012, when he was a true freshman.

Oh, I thought it coincided with UTC finally hiring a good football coach.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Oh, I thought it coincided with UTC finally hiring a good football coach.

I'm not suggesting UTC's rise was because of Furman's struggled. I'm suggesting that's why you see several lopsided games these past few years. They beat a skeleton crew last season. The played against a fourth string walk-on two seasons ago. I don't think the sledding will be as easy on Saturday.

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I don't think anyone thinks this will be an easy game. Two really good defenses and two on-and-off offenses (Hannon hasn't looked terribly sharp, and honestly, neither has Huesman...though there is obviously a higher expectation level of Huesman at this point).

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Remember last year when the Mocs were going down in "the biggest game in the conference"..........51-0. I know Furman is not WCU, but I see the Mocs stepping up this week and winning convincingly. That said, Furman scares me.

PaladinNation
October 4th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Remember last year when the Mocs were going down in "the biggest game in the conference"..........51-0. I know Furman is not WCU, but I see the Mocs stepping up this week and winning convincingly. That said, Furman scares me.

I think you got a point… this could be a 14-20 point win or its going to be bruiser. My guess is that's Furman's goal/hope to upset the MOCS.
The FU/SCST highlights 9defense) speak for themselves, this is not a Furman defense you've seen in probably 15 years, the goal line stand against a BIG SCST line and running back is impressive: https://youtu.be/sYqpEgAT_4k

Again, Huseman and the MOC O is a huge challenge, and then there's the MOC D. I hope FU makes this a game.

Southern Bison
October 4th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Based on what I saw in person at the Chattanooga/Presbyterian game, the Mocs better step it up or Furman will pull off the road win.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FUGameBreaker
October 4th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I like the 1pm start time, are you guys expecting a good crowd?

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2015, 04:15 PM
I like the 1pm start time, are you guys expecting a good crowd?

I would say around the typical 10-12K. Honestly, early games don't draw as well for Chattanooga as 6pm games (the most grumbling I have seen on Mocfans this year about football has been about all the early start times this year).

Currently forecast for Satuday: partly cloudy and 71 (Furman won't know what to think about that ;) )

But, an early start time is nice for the away team/fans.

FUGameBreaker
October 4th, 2015, 04:25 PM
True we have seen rain forever now haha

I would say I like night games first few weeks of the season because of temps, but by mid October the daytime kickoff is better since it can start getting colder in the evenings by this time of year, my own thoughts atleast.

longtimemocfan
October 4th, 2015, 04:29 PM

Yes, but how well will he get protected. In the last several years non mobile quarterbacks haven't fared very well against Chattanooga's pass rush and Hannon isn't very mobile.

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2015, 04:31 PM

This games makes me nervous (but so does Wofford, and Mercer, and The Citadel) but I will say, the Mocs seem to do better when they feel they might be underestimated (see: at WCU last year, at Samford this year).

I really don't see Furman blowing out Chattanooga (no FCS team has beat UTC by more than a 10 points in over 3 years). Best chance for Furman to be successful is for it to be a lower scoring slobberknocker. My gut says it will be a game similar to Samford (though the Furman D scares me more) with the Mocs winning by 7-10 points (fingers crossed).

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2015, 04:34 PM
True we have seen rain forever now haha

I would say I like night games first few weeks of the season because of temps, but by mid October the daytime kickoff is better since it can start getting colder in the evenings by this time of year, my own thoughts atleast.

In the past, our typical 5 home games have been...6pm, 6pm, 6pm, 2pm, 2pm. Most everyone seemed to like that. This year they are...6pm, 1pm, 1pm, 2pm, 2pm. Tailgaters were not happy about that at all...though many of us have adjusted and have started doing breakfast before the game and partying after the game until it gets dark. :)

chattownmocs
October 4th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Seems like a lot of wishful thinking to me. The game of the year in the socon has already been played.

FUGameBreaker
October 4th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Seems like a lot of wishful thinking to me. The game of the year in the socon has already been played.

That's a good mentality, hope the mocs team takes that approach xthumbsupx I know we are coming in fired up ready to smack you guys around, I can promise you that's the Dins mindset!

Southern Bison
October 4th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I think I saw you & your mom at the Presbyterian game...nice of her to drive you

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Yes, but how well will he get protected. In the last several years non mobile quarterbacks haven't fared very well against Chattanooga's pass rush and Hannon isn't very mobile.

Sort of depends on your definition. Hannon is not a shifty runner, but he is much faster than most assume he is. He had a 20 yard run against SCSU. He has a touchdown on the ground. He is one of those guys that isn't looking to run, but if you give him space he will take 15-20 yards.

That said, Furman has made it a high priority to make sure Hannon stays upright.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2015, 07:25 PM

Samford may run Furman out of the stadium, but as it sits right now, Furman has played better against tougher competition.

Mocs123
October 4th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Furman looks like the better team to me. Samford was putting up gaudy numbers but against sup par completion. I am not saying Samford doesn't have a good team, but I think more like 3-4 in the conference. They do have very good skill position players on offense.

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Furman looks like the better team to me. Samford was putting up gaudy numbers but against sup par completion. I am not saying Samford doesn't have a good team, but I think more like 3-4 in the conference. They do have very good skill position players on offense.

I would fear Furman more than Samford if both were on the road...but I fear Furman just a little bit less at Finley.

Samford is interesting...they had been known for a stout defense in the past, but Hatcher isn't exactly known for playing defense, so it is tough to gauge those guys.

chattownmocs
October 4th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Samford may run Furman out of the stadium, but as it sits right now, Furman has played better against tougher competition.

More pure fantasy. Who has Furman played? I think a big part of delusion is that UcF is good. I think the biggest problem is this delusion about coastal carolina being an elite team nationally. If that's what you guys are drawing confidence from, you are in for a rude awakening. Chattanooga is a lot better than coastal. Everyone plays coastal tough.

Mocs123
October 4th, 2015, 09:13 PM
I don't think anyone can deny that Furman has played the toughest schedule to this point in the SoCon.

Coastal May or may not be an elite team (the polls say they are) but CCU and JSU are by far the toughest OOC FCS games in the conference this year.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 04:20 AM
More pure fantasy. Who has Furman played? I think a big part of delusion is that UcF is good. I think the biggest problem is this delusion about coastal carolina being an elite team nationally. If that's what you guys are drawing confidence from, you are in for a rude awakening. Chattanooga is a lot better than coastal. Everyone plays coastal tough.

Are you out of your mind? Furman has arguably played the toughest schedule of any team in the FCS. They easily have played the toughest schedule of any SoCon team. It is not even close.

chattownmocs
October 5th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Are you out of your mind? Furman has arguably played the toughest schedule of any team in the FCS. They easily have played the toughest schedule of any SoCon team. It is not even close.

I don't think your schedule has been much tougher than samfords other than the fact that you have played another game. What is so difficult about your schedule? You are trying to make ucf seem good when they aren't. They are one of the worst FBS teams out there. Virginia tech is better than louisville but it doesn't really matter. Central arkansas and ucf seem very comparable. Chattanooga and coastal carolina are comparable, I guess. Florida A&M is worse than SC state and SC state but again, I doubt samford would lose to either.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 06:10 AM
I don't think your schedule has been much tougher than samfords other than the fact that you have played another game. What is so difficult about your schedule? You are trying to make ucf seem good when they aren't. They are one of the worst FBS teams out there. Virginia tech is better than louisville but it doesn't really matter. Central arkansas and ucf seem very comparable. Chattanooga and coastal carolina are comparable, I guess. Florida A&M is worse than SC state and SC state but again, I doubt samford would lose to either.

I suppose that is as much a concession as you will ever make that you are wrong. Just using Sagarin, because it is available and widely cited.

Furman: Coastal Carolina (94), VT (49), UCF (113), VMI (211), SC State (182).

Samford: Central Ark (149), UTC (99), Florida AM (244), Louisville (32)

UTC: JSU (96), Mars Hill (DII), Samford (133), PC (224)

So, just using this metric, it isn't even close. Of the three, Furman has played the highest ranked FCS team. They were at least competitive with VT for a half. Samford was blown off the field by Louisville minutes into the game. UCF is the best win by any SoCon team this season (unless you just want to measure that against your own opinion).

I understand the point you are trying to make about UCF, but you are looking at it backwards. No, UCF is not a world beater in the FBS this year. They would, however, be among the top FCS teams in the country. Just like with Wofford, who lost a close game at Idaho. No, Idaho is not a good FBS team, but they would probably be a top 25 FCS program.

ElCid
October 5th, 2015, 06:12 AM

You are dreaming if you think UTC schedule or Samford's has been as tough as Furman's. Let's see what the computers say.

Massey - SOS rank among FCS teams - takes ALL GAMES into account
Furman - 13
Samford - 17
UTC - 48

Sagarin - SOS rank among Div I teams - only takes Div I games into account
Furman - 143
Samford - 153
UTC - 160

I do not put 100% faith into computers, but they are reasonable. Now, I have UTC in my top 10, and I of course think Furman sucks, but don't get ridiculous.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 06:16 AM
You are dreaming if you think UTC schedule or Samford's has been as tough as Furman's. Let's see what the computers say.

Furman - 13
Samford - 17
UTC - 48

Furman - 143
Samford - 153
UTC - 160

I do not put 100% faith into computers, but they are reasonable. Now, I have UTC in my top 10, and I of course think Furman sucks, but don't get ridiculous.

Even the Citadel fan agrees with me. Dogs and cats, living together.

chattownmocs
October 5th, 2015, 06:24 AM

Furman - 13
Samford - 17
UTC - 48

Furman - 143
Samford - 153
UTC - 160

Is this real life? 13th is really a whole lot by 17th. One is 13 and one is 17, and you post this in his defense about how much tougher Furmans schedule has been? Bitch, you just proved my point. Gtfo

chattownmocs
October 5th, 2015, 06:33 AM
I suppose that is as much a concession as you will ever make that you are wrong. Just using Sagarin, because it is available and widely cited.

Furman: Coastal Carolina (94), VT (49), UCF (113), VMI (211), SC State (182).

Samford: Central Ark (149), UTC (99), Florida AM (244), Louisville (32)

UTC: JSU (96), Mars Hill (DII), Samford (133), PC (224)

So, just using this metric, it isn't even close. Of the three, Furman has played the highest ranked FCS team. They were at least competitive with VT for a half. Samford was blown off the field by Louisville minutes into the game. UCF is the best win by any SoCon team this season (unless you just want to measure that against your own opinion).

I understand the point you are trying to make about UCF, but you are looking at it backwards. No, UCF is not a world beater in the FBS this year. They would, however, be among the top FCS teams in the country. Just like with Wofford, who lost a close game at Idaho. No, Idaho is not a good FBS team, but they would probably be a top 25 FCS program.

Actually its extremely close. Which was my point. And what was my original point that made you bring up your statement abouy furman playing betterbagainst a tougher schedule? Oh yeah, I said samford was better than Furman. What is Furman's sagarin ranking?

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Actually its extremely close. Which was my point. And what was my original point that made you bring up your statement abouy furman playing betterbagainst a tougher schedule? Oh yeah, I said samford was better than Furman. What is Furman's sagarin ranking?

Samford may be better than Furman. We won't know that answer until October 31.

You made the snarky comment of "who has Furman played." I endeavored to answer that question for you.

Criticize Furman all you want. That's fine. The score will be settled Saturday afternoon. It is difficult to criticize their schedule, though. They've played as tough a slate as any team in the country to this point.

Catamount87
October 5th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Interesting statistical comparison for this game of some key statistics. The consistent theme I see in all the stats is that UTC is much more evenly balanced across the board and Furman's offense is still finding itself. That said, I think the talent is there, which the stats don't show, it just hasn't come together yet. If you are interested, here are the full SoCon stats, http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/stats/football/2015/confldrs.htm

Statistic

UTC
SoCon Rank

Furman
SoCon Rank

Scoring Offense (avg)
4th
8th

Scoring Defense (avg)
1st
4th

Total Offense (ypg)
6th
8th

Total Defense (ypg)
1st
4th

Rushing Off. (ypg)
4th
8th

Rushing Def (ypg)
3rd
4th

Pass Off (ypg)
6th
5th

Pass Def (ypg)
2nd
5th

Sacks (by)
1st
5th (tie)

Sacks (agnst)
5th
6th

3rd down conv
54.8%
2nd
32%
8th

Turnovers (net)
2nd
5th

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I don't disagree with you. UTC has a far more balanced attack right now.

I have a difficult time reading too much into the stats regarding Furman. Furman had back to back games against FBS teams, and then back to back home games in miserable weather. The only time we played an FCS team in decent weather, Furman set school records for offense. I have no idea what all that means.

There were two statistics that really surprised me. Despite struggling to score, Furman is second in the SoCon in time of possession. They have also converted every one of their red zone trips this year. That was a huge problem last season.

AppApp
October 5th, 2015, 10:17 AM
glad this one is on the tube, should be a dandy

Catamount87
October 5th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Compare the ToP to rushing offense, 3rd down conversion, total offense and scoring, there's a disconnect there in a big way. I read that as, a) inconsistency showing up in the offense and b) a slow moving offense. They can keep the ball a long time but don't really move it long distances and score. In a quick peruse of Furman drives, they have a lot of 5-6 play drives that eat up a lot of time. Long sustained drives are few and far between. Furman also leads the conference in number of punts by a wide margin, 36 so far. UTC on the other hand has only punted 17 times.

FUGameBreaker
October 5th, 2015, 10:48 AM

Yeah UTC won 1 playoff game last year, now all of the sudden the mocs are an unstoppable national power xblahx

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Compare the ToP to rushing offense, 3rd down conversion, total offense and scoring, there's a disconnect there in a big way. I read that as, a) inconsistency showing up in the offense and b) a slow moving offense. They can keep the ball a long time but don't really move it long distances and score. In a quick peruse of Furman drives, they have a lot of 5-6 play drives that eat up a lot of time. Long sustained drives are few and far between. Furman also leads the conference in number of punts by a wide margin, 36 so far. UTC on the other hand has only punted 17 times.

Right. I think that's where the "two FBS defenses and two games in the rain" come into play.

I will say, what you are describing is Bruce Fowlers MO. It can be frustrating to watch at times, but this is the same gameplan that worked so well in 2013 en route to a SoCon title. He will lean on a stout defense and play field position all night. He has no problem at all punting you deep and forcing you to drive the field on his defense. Like in 2013, he's got a kicker that can make FGs from 45-50 yards with regularity, so his offense often only needs 20 yards to get in scoring range.

Furman has struggled with penalties on offense and that has helped lengthen some drives. The weather and FBS opponents have not helped. There is talent on that side of the ball, it just hasn't clicked yet.

FUGameBreaker
October 5th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Is this real life? 13th is really a whole lot by 17th. One is 13 and one is 17, and you post this in his defense about how much tougher Furmans schedule has been? Bitch, you just proved my point. Gtfo

Haha this kid cussing

FUGameBreaker
October 5th, 2015, 01:05 PM
I have seen into the future and the past will repeat itself for chatty this saturday, seriously though I think you guys hold the record for heartbreaking loses over the years :D

http://wrcb.images.worldnow.com/images/23989553_BG1.jpg

chattanoogamocs
October 5th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I have seen into the future and the past will repeat itself for chatty this saturday, seriously though I think you guys hold the record for heartbreaking loses over the years :D

http://wrcb.images.worldnow.com/images/23989553_BG1.jpg

I don't know if it is funny or sad (or ironic) that you have to use a picture of Samford beating the Mocs...oh wait, I remember why, it's because Chattanooga beat Furman 31-9 that year. xasswhipx

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I don't know if it is funny or sad (or ironic) that you have to use a picture of Samford beating the Mocs...oh wait, I remember why, it's because Chattanooga beat Furman 31-9 that year. xasswhipx

I remember that year. UTC all lined up on ESPN and didn't get invited to dance.

You guys sure enough beat up on a true freshman walkon at QB that day. You'll get a redshirt junior on Saturday.

FUGameBreaker
October 5th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Actually the problem I ran into was the fact that UTC has not played in very many big games over the years so it was hard to find any other picture of them looking deflated since they usually don't get a lot of coverage historically, but they certainly do have a long history of losing just has never really mattered much until very recent history now that you finally have a decent team and the games matter xthumbsupx

chattanoogamocs
October 5th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I remember that year. UTC all lined up on ESPN and didn't get invited to dance.

You guys sure enough beat up on a true freshman walkon at QB that day. You'll get a redshirt junior on Saturday.

An immobile redshirt junior with more interceptions than TD's. See ya on Saturday!

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 02:51 PM
An immobile redshirt junior with more interceptions than TD's. See ya on Saturday!

Check out the 2:20 mark. He's faster than you think he is. Heck, he is faster than I think he is. He isn't Jayson Foster, but he darn sure isn't "immobile."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00TtAip_YJQ&list=PLA861A2FD6BE4C4BC

Hannon hasn't thrown a pick since Furman played Virginia Tech.

FUGameBreaker
October 5th, 2015, 03:08 PM

Let's take out your struggle for a win with D2 Mars Hill since anybody can pad offensive stats against D2 teams, and Huesman has thrown 3 td's and 3 int's this season, nothing eye popping there at all, we have a great run defense, we will force you to throw the ball which is something you have not done very well this year.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Let's take out your struggle for a win with D2 Mars Hill since anybody can pad offensive stats against D2 teams, and Huesman has thrown 3 td's and 3 int's this season, nothing eye popping there at all, we have a great run defense, we will force you to throw the ball which is something you have not done very well this year.

I don't have any idea what's going to happen on Saturday, but I'm just giddy about watching UTC's rushing attack versus Furman's run defense. That's going to be some fun football to watch.

longtimemocfan
October 5th, 2015, 03:35 PM

Yeah I remember Hannon as a freshman, first play from scrimmage against us. Sacked and lost fumble. Mocs have 13 sacks in 4 games.
Mocs lead conference in total defense at 317 yards per game. Furman is 4th in total defense at 378 yards per game and near the bottom
in sacks with just 5 in 5 games.

longtimemocfan
October 5th, 2015, 03:40 PM
I don't have any idea what's going to happen on Saturday, but I'm just giddy about watching UTC's rushing attack versus Furman's run defense. That's going to be some fun football to watch.

Yes, going to be a good game. We've already seen what many think the best D-line in the FCS Jax State. 3 FBS transfer starters from mainly The SEC. All but one well over 300 pounds and a DE that was 6' 7" 295 that we just couldn't block.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Yes, going to be a good game. We've already seen what many think the best D-line in the FCS Jax State. 3 FBS transfer starters from mainly The SEC. All but one well over 300 pounds and a DE that was 6' 7" 295 that we just couldn't block.

Both teams have seen good competition.

I take some solace in the fact that Furman has already seen the best offense (CCU) and best defense (VT) they will see all season.

FUGameBreaker
October 5th, 2015, 04:27 PM

I take some solace in the fact that Furman has already seen the best offense (CCU) and best defense (VT) they will see all season.

+1

chattownmocs
October 5th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Yeah UTC won 1 playoff game last year, now all of the sudden the mocs are an unstoppable national power xblahx

Bingo! That is exactly what I am saying. Chattanooga is a national power, Furman is a bad football team. Furman has inferior talent at nearly every position, as well as inferior coaching.

Its surprising enough that Furman fans can't see the obvious. Downright shocking that the rest of the fans in the conference can't see it.

FUGameBreaker
October 5th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Bingo! That is exactly what I am saying. Chattanooga is a national power, Furman is a bad football team. Furman has inferior talent at nearly every position, as well as inferior coaching.

Its surprising enough that Furman fans can't see the obvious. Downright shocking that the rest of the fans in the conference can't see it.

Cool story kid, I applaud you for not cussing in that one xhurrayx

SU DOG
October 5th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Hard to believe that the odds makers currently have UTC as a 15.5 point favorite. xcoffeex

Southern Bison
October 5th, 2015, 10:37 PM

National power?? Is that because of all the Title games the city HOSTED?? Or all those national title games the Mocs have played in?

APaladindad
October 5th, 2015, 11:16 PM

You are correct he is not mobile and your team sacked him 3 times his freshman year. You also left out that our blocking up front is not very good! It should be a field day for your team. The 2nd stringers may be able to go in by the 2nd half!:)

chattanoogamocs
October 5th, 2015, 11:37 PM

And you lost to both...not sure if you are making arguments for Furman or against.

chattanoogamocs
October 5th, 2015, 11:44 PM
I am just happy to see two SoCon teams fans jawing with each other. :)

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2015, 12:19 AM
After reading this thread, I am shocked that Hannon was not named the SoCon player of the month, instead, they gave it to this joker...

Player of month

Jacob Huesman was named Monday the SoCon's offensive player of the month for September.
The 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior received the monthly honor for the third time in his career. He rushed for 376 yards and three touchdowns while completing 64 percent of his 92 passes for 639 yards and six touchdowns in leading the Mocs to their 3-1 record.

He was named offensive player of the week twice in September, after two games in which he both ran and threw for more than 100 yards, and he exceeded 300 yards of total offense twice. Also during the month, he broke the UTC career records for rushing touchdowns and passing TDs and became the fourth player in league history to account for more than 9,000 yards of total offense in a career.

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 09:02 AM
After reading this thread, I am shocked that Hannon was not named the SoCon player of the month, instead, they gave it to this joker...

Player of month

Jacob Huesman was named Monday the SoCon's offensive player of the month for September.
The 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior received the monthly honor for the third time in his career. He rushed for 376 yards and three touchdowns while completing 64 percent of his 92 passes for 639 yards and six touchdowns in leading the Mocs to their 3-1 record.

He was named offensive player of the week twice in September, after two games in which he both ran and threw for more than 100 yards, and he exceeded 300 yards of total offense twice. Also during the month, he broke the UTC career records for rushing touchdowns and passing TDs and became the fourth player in league history to account for more than 9,000 yards of total offense in a career.

Take out that D2 game where he padded his stats and you can pretty much divide his passing stats for the season by 2 haha xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

I am just happy to see two SoCon teams fans jawing with each other. :)

Amen!

- - - Updated - - -

National power?? Is that because of all the Title games the city HOSTED?? Or all those national title games the Mocs have played in?

Hahahaha! Exactly!

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Hard to believe that the odds makers currently have UTC as a 15.5 point favorite. xcoffeex

Whichever team comes out on top, I am thinking its going to be close low scoring or close high scoring, either way Iam thinking its going to be a close one xnodx

woffordgrad94
October 6th, 2015, 09:08 AM
xpopcornx Someone's gonna have a mighty big plate of crow to eat after this one. I know FU is supposed to be my hated rival and all that, but in this case I hope it's chattclown. He's really been flappin' them gums hard this week. To him, the Mocs are infallable. Time to take him down a peg.

chattownmocs
October 6th, 2015, 09:41 AM
You idiots are brain dead. Its far less about chattanoogas dominance than it is about furmans ineptitude. Why would anyone think Furman is good enough to go into Finley stadium and win? If chattanooga is going to lose, its not going to be at homecoming to furman. I'm sorry if you wish I would pretend its logical to say furman is as good as chattanooga, that this is some sort of heavyweight matchup, but its just not.

longtimemocfan
October 6th, 2015, 09:53 AM
You are correct he is not mobile and your team sacked him 3 times his freshman year. You also left out that our blocking up front is not very good! It should be a field day for your team. The 2nd stringers may be able to go in by the 2nd half!:)

You are correct you will see a lot of 2nd stringers in the 2nd half, but not because of a lopsided game. Except at linebacker you will see a lot of so called back-ups through out the game on both lines and in the secondary.

longtimemocfan
October 6th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Hey all smack talk aside, Furman fans that I have engaged at the games have always been respectful and good sports. It's good for the conference and hopefully it helps get more than one team in the playoffs with this type of game.

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 10:25 AM
You idiots are brain dead. Its far less about chattanoogas dominance than it is about furmans ineptitude. Why would anyone think Furman is good enough to go into Finley stadium and win? If chattanooga is going to lose, its not going to be at homecoming to furman. I'm sorry if you wish I would pretend its logical to say furman is as good as chattanooga, that this is some sort of heavyweight matchup, but its just not.

Number 1- This is not the 2015 Chattanooga homecoming game

Number 2- The Furman team you played last year had virtually half its scholarship players out of the game with injury

Number 3- If we execute our game-plan we have plenty of talent on our team to come in and knock you guys off

Number 4- This game pits the only team to win a playoff game from the SoCon in 2013 (FU) against the only team from the SoCon to win a playoff game in the 2014 (UTC) so its as much of a heavyweight match-up as this league is going to get at this present time son, so you should at-least respect that for the sake of the conference

PaladinNation
October 6th, 2015, 10:40 AM
BRAKE… I have much respect for Chattanooga… from the program; to the coaches, to the players.

We Furman fans aren't disrespecting the MOCS when we're talking about our excitement for this matchup, we FU Fans, love our team as much as yours.

I know that most MOC fans are very respectful, so I take chattownmocs comments lightly as being representative of MOC NATION.

As a Furman fan, I believe this is good for the SoCon,just hope this game is a competitive game.

One Question about Huseman, watched him in a few games this season, does he get most of his rushing yards up the middle more than on the edge?

woffordgrad94
October 6th, 2015, 11:29 AM
xblahx

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 01:15 PM
BRAKE… I have much respect for Chattanooga… from the program; to the coaches, to the players.

We Furman fans aren't disrespecting the MOCS when we're talking about our excitement for this matchup, we FU Fans, love our team as much as yours.

I know that most MOC fans are very respectful, so I take chattownmocs comments lightly as being representative of MOC NATION.

As a Furman fan, I believe this is good for the SoCon,just hope this game is a competitive game.

One Question about Huseman, watched him in a few games this season, does he get most of his rushing yards up the middle more than on the edge?

+1

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2015, 01:34 PM

The vast majority of his run yards are not designed, they are just if he sees an opportunity. That being said, the OLine is trying to open up the middle to give him the opportunity.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2015, 01:58 PM
The vast majority of his run yards are not designed, they are just if he sees an opportunity. That being said, the OLine is trying to open up the middle to give him the opportunity.

That, I think, is going to be the most fascinating matchup of the game.

I think the Mocs are going to have to try and throw the ball. Furman has faced a number of mobile QBs, and, on the whole, has defended them very well. Most success this year has come either from checkdowns to the running back (of course, UTC does not have Deangelo Henderson) or on deep throws against man coverage.

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 02:49 PM

I think the Mocs are going to have to try and throw the ball. Furman has faced a number of mobile QBs, and, on the whole, has defended them very well. Most success this year has come either from checkdowns to the running back (of course, UTC does not have Deangelo Henderson) or on deep throws against man coverage.

Yep, we will have to play a great game to win, but it can be done!

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Yep, we will have to play a great game to win, but it can be done!

Offense is going to have to show up and we have to avoid a lot of the errors that have plagued us the first five games.

Defense needs to come out and smack them early. Let them know a win in this game will be earned, not given.

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Anybody interested in seeing this game go in the poll for FCS game of the week head on over to AGS GOTW Week 6 thread and give the game a "second"

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Offense is going to have to show up and we have to avoid a lot of the errors that have plagued us the first five games.

Defense needs to come out and smack them early. Let them know a win in this game will be earned, not given.

Samford jumped on UTC early (14-7 at the end of the 1st quarter)...and then didn't score again until the 4th (after UTC had run off 24 straight).

I think Furman is probably going to need to smack UTC for 4 quarters if they are going to get the upset.

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Also interesting that Furman has done the best in the red zone (9-9)...and UTC has allowed the fewest trip into the redzone (6-6, with only 3 TDs). Last couple of years, UTC defense has done a good job of bend, but not break. The closer to the endzone, the better they typically get. Teams that have had success have done it buy burning the Mocs on big plays. They have given up a number of long passes for TDs.

PaladinNation
October 6th, 2015, 05:19 PM

That is what I thought… from what I've seen Huseman is very dangerous when the middle opens up (Huseman had great success against PC).
Furman has a few athletic DTs to contend with (Hawkins, Reid, Mackey, Thornton) if those guys can hold the line, then it gets to be a fun matchup
-- Johnson, Rider, Magwood against Huseman and all the quick stuff to the running backs and receivers. If Rider and Magwood are free to hit the lanes, they will lay the boom, as much as Chattanooga has been disrespected those two Furman linebackers are as good as it gets in the FCS.

Still not sure that even that will be enough for the Dins to win, I'll go out on a limb and make a call that Furman's small quick DE's will have to make some plays for Furman to have a chance. As much as I think Magwood is the guy that holds Furman's best matchup opportunity to keep Huseman in check, I'm going to be watching Minter, Ross, and Warren. Other than Ross (6-5 235) Minter and Warren are basically OLBs playing DE they seem to be what our new DC is wanting on the field, speed.

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 06:08 PM
That is what I thought… from what I've seen Huseman is very dangerous when the middle opens up (Huseman had great success against PC).
Furman has a few athletic DTs to contend with (Hawkins, Reid, Mackey, Thornton) if those guys can hold the line, then it gets to be a fun matchup
-- Johnson, Rider, Magwood against Huseman and all the quick stuff to the running backs and receivers. If Rider and Magwood are free to hit the lanes, they will lay the boom, as much as Chattanooga has been disrespected those two Furman linebackers are as good as it gets in the FCS.

Still not sure that even that will be enough for the Dins to win, I'll go out on a limb and make a call that Furman's small quick DE's will have to make some plays for Furman to have a chance. As much as I think Magwood is the guy that holds Furman's best matchup opportunity to keep Huseman in check, I'm going to be watching Minter, Ross, and Warren. Other than Ross (6-5 235) Minter and Warren are basically OLBs playing DE they seem to be what our new DC is wanting on the field, speed.

Yep I think this is our best group of LB's since 2004 when we had Killian, Freeman, Ritter (unfortunately injury got that group which slowed us in the playoffs)
The 3 we have now all have great size and solid speed, hopefully they stay healthy.

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Head coach Russ Huesman (http://gomocs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=290)
Opening Statement.
"People ask all the time: when do you like to have a bye-week? I always think the third, fourth or fifth week of the season is probably the best time. We've been fortunate the last few years to have it fall either the third or fourth week of the season. A lot of times it's to try to get your guys healthy, but for us we've been healthy.

"I think it was more about getting them mentally rested and get them away from football a little bit. Hopefully it reenergizes their batteries and gets them excited to play, and get a big stretch here of seven weeks in a row where we have to play.

"We understand we're playing an excellent football team. Furman's record is probably not indicative of how good they are. They have played a monster schedule, two FBS schools and they won one of them against Central Florida.

"They played Coastal Carolina, one of the best teams in the country. It was a three-point game. They played South Carolina State last week who is very athletic. Furman hasn't won a lot of games this year, but they have played a very tough schedule. They've come out of it in pretty good shape. They're healthy and well coached. We know that if we don't play our best we won't win this game."

What makes Furman such a good team?
"They've been playing great defense. They're physical. They held South Carolina State to three points and an FBS school to twelve or fifteen points. Even against Virginia Tech at the half I think it was a seven or ten to nothing game. They've been playing really good defense. They're athletic on defense. They're pretty physical, so their defense has been carrying them no question."

Thoughts on Furman's quarterback.
"He's really important, first and foremost the leadership aspect of it and what he brings to that team. It seems like they always win when he's playing. There's something about him. He's not the fastest guy in the world. He runs well enough to beat you with his feet and throws a good ball. They don't throw it a ton, but when he throws it he's very accurate. He can throw a deep ball."

"I think someone said he's been voted captain three years in a row now, and he's got another year left so he's probably going to be four-time captain at Furman. He has great leadership skills. I think they play better when he's in the game. He's a gutty player. In his first game his freshman year, they played Clemson. He played really well and the bright lights didn't affect him. He's one of the best players in the league in my opinion."

Do you feel Furman is the toughest team in conference play?
"I have no idea. I know they're good. I think our league is good. There's a lot of people in the league that can beat each other. I think before it's all said and done there's going to be a ton of surprises, so nothing shocks me at all in this league. Do I think Furman is one of the better teams in this league? Yes, but I think there are a lot of good teams in the league too."

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Hey chattanoogamocs, what's with the reinstatement of DE Vantrel Mcmillan at UTC? The guy was arrested on Sept 19th for flashing a gun at police while drunk and he is already activated to play for the FU game by coach Huesman, kinda strange and little desperate that his punishment did not last longer eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Article: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/oct/06/mcmillan-returns-mocs/329033/

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 06:43 PM
The Furman at Chattanooga game has been placed in the FCS game of the week poll up against 2 MVFC games, to vote for it as game of the week visit this thread and get you're vote in (Cheers):

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?175183-AGS-GOTW-Week-6

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Hey chattanoogamocs, what's with the reinstatement of DE Vantrel Mcmillan at UTC? The guy was arrested on Sept 19th for flashing a gun at police while drunk and he is already activated to play for the FU game by coach Huesman, kinda strange and little desperate that his punishment did not last longer eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Article: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/oct/06/mcmillan-returns-mocs/329033/

Not really since it was over dramatized to begin with. (matter of fact, if you page down to the bottom of that article it reads: The headline on this story has been changed to clarify that McMillan pulled out his gun to show police that he had it, rather than with intent to use it.)

The fact is, McMillan is a 21 year old man and the lawful owner of the gun and he was standing in front of the yard of the home he rents. From what I have been told, there was a party there that received noise complaints, McMillan was actually trying to break the party up when the police came back the second time. The police said they were going to start towing cars, McMillan basically said "please do" and the officer thought that he was being smart with him and decided to arrest him for public intoxication (he came out into the street to talk to the officer and had a beer in his hand). When McMillan realized he was going to be arrested, he was 100% complaint with the officer, apologized to the officer, and only pulled the gun out to give it to the officer.

His only real "crime" was that he should not have been carrying the weapon once he had been drinking. He should have secured it in his home. That is why he was only charged with a misdemeanor. One of his parents (can't remember which) is in law enforcement, he makes good grades, the kid is no thug or criminal.

Russ Huesman has done a just and fair job disciplining players in the past. He threw Keon Williams off the team for a year for marijuana possession (and he came back a year later and ended up being a great success story on and off the field)...and Russ kicked Terrell Robinson off the team completely. There have been others over the years he has dismissed, but I used those two as an example that star players get punishment just like a back up long snapper.

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I will give you an example of how not soft Russ is on discipline.

He had a player that got caught smoking marijuana (same time as Robinson)...and he they internally disciplined him. He got caught again and got kicked off the team (hands tied, end of story). This guy was not a star player, barely any noticed he was gone. Russ did the right thing in not playing favorites in letting this kid stay when he just booted T-Rob off the team for the exact same thing.

Basically, the reason why the kid was getting stoned (which was never reported, or at least connected), was that the year previous, his sister had been abducted, raped and murdered by two men. A year later, his mother, who was so depressed and distraught, checked into a Chattanooga hotel and committed suicide. If there was anyone on the face of the Earth you would want to give as many chances as needed to get things straight, it would be that kid (btw, pretty much all these kids have been offered the chance to stay in school, because education is truly an important thing to the coaching staff, some, like Keon, have stayed, some have transferred, some have gone home).

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 07:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS3wMznhcNE

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Not really since it was over dramatized to begin with. (matter of fact, if you page down to the bottom of that article it reads: The headline on this story has been changed to clarify that McMillan pulled out his gun to show police that he had it, rather than with intent to use it.)

The fact is, McMillan is a 21 year old man and the lawful owner of the gun and he was standing in front of the yard of the home he rents. From what I have been told, there was a party there that received noise complaints, McMillan was actually trying to break the party up when the police came back the second time. The police said they were going to start towing cars, McMillan basically said "please do" and the officer thought that he was being smart with him and decided to arrest him for public intoxication (he came out into the street to talk to the officer and had a beer in his hand). When McMillan realized he was going to be arrested, he was 100% complaint with the officer, apologized to the officer, and only pulled the gun out to give it to the officer.

His only real "crime" was that he should not have been carrying the weapon once he had been drinking. He should have secured it in his home. That is why he was only charged with a misdemeanor. One of his parents (can't remember which) is in law enforcement, he makes good grades, the kid is no thug or criminal.

Russ Huesman has done a just and fair job disciplining players in the past. He threw Keon Williams off the team for a year for marijuana possession (and he came back a year later and ended up being a great success story on and off the field)...and Russ kicked Terrell Robinson off the team completely. There have been others over the years he has dismissed, but I used those two as an example that star players get punishment just like a back up long snapper.

But you just stated his crime was carrying a gun under the influence, and yet only 1 game suspension, that's pretty much a joke

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I will give you an example of how not soft Russ is on discipline.

He had a player that got caught smoking marijuana (same time as Robinson)...and he they internally disciplined him. He got caught again and got kicked off the team (hands tied, end of story). This guy was not a star player, barely any noticed he was gone. Russ did the right thing in not playing favorites in letting this kid stay when he just booted T-Rob off the team for the exact same thing.

Basically, the reason why the kid was getting stoned (which was never reported, or at least connected), was that the year previous, his sister had been abducted, raped and murdered by two men. A year later, his mother, who was so depressed and distraught, checked into a Chattanooga hotel and committed suicide. If there was anyone on the face of the Earth you would want to give as many chances as needed to get things straight, it would be that kid (btw, pretty much all these kids have been offered the chance to stay in school, because education is truly an important thing to the coaching staff, some, like Keon, have stayed, some have transferred, some have gone home).

I guess I am just use to Furman kicking guys out of school for the first offense as opposed to a slap on the wrist that does not send much of a message to the rest of the team.

FUGameBreaker
October 6th, 2015, 07:35 PM

For perspective, we have a player sitting out first half due to a questionable targeting penalty in last weeks game, how is it he will wind up have the same suspension time as this clown going around drunk with a weapon talking back to police? I am sure he said some dumb things to the police to get arrested in the first place before he even showed his weapon, that's usually the case when police move to arrest you. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, these two things are not even remotely close in nature yet they yield the same suspension time, just dumb.

chattownmocs
October 6th, 2015, 08:46 PM
For perspective, we have a player sitting out first half due to a questionable targeting penalty in last weeks game, how is it he will wind up have the same suspension time as this clown going around drunk with a weapon talking back to police? I am sure he said some dumb things to the police to get arrested in the first place before he even showed his weapon, that's usually the case when police move to arrest you. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, these two things are not even remotely close in nature yet they yield the same suspension time, just dumb.

No one is for an on field offense, the other is for an off field offense. Pretty easy. I think Furman players should bring it up in warm ups.

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2015, 09:38 PM
I guess I am just use to Furman kicking guys out of school for the first offense as opposed to a slap on the wrist that does not send much of a message to the rest of the team.

Unless you are working in the athletics department, you really have no idea if Furman is kicking kids out on first offense. The NCAA only requires counseling (and mandatory testing) after a first fail (random) drug test for marijuana. Typically schools never even make a first offense public. Maybe Furman really does kick a kid out for a first offense, or maybe they just do a good job of keeping it quiet...you really don't know and neither do I.

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Now granted, if Chattanooga kids were distributing marijuana, as opposed to just smoking it, I could see why you would want to at least kick some of the kids out of school immediately...

Furman dismisses three players, suspends pair after drug arrests

Greenville, SC (Sports Network) - Furman University dismissed three players from the football program and suspended two other players indefinitely on Friday, one day after all five were involved in a drug arrest on campus.

Dismissed were defensive end Aaron Riley, cornerback Jordan Griffin and linebacker Tim Lawrence. Linebacker Sterling Johnson and free safety Nathan Wade also were suspended indefinitely.

Their student status will be determined by the university.

"Unfortunately these young men put themselves in a situation where they violated team rules and the trust placed in them by their coaches, teammates, classmates, and entire university community, and now they face the consequences of their actions," first-year head football coach Bruce Fowler said in a university release. "As head football coach, I sincerely regret this and the impact it has on our program and our community."

According to the release, Riley was arrested on campus Thursday evening for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, among other charges. The Jacksonville, Fla., resident started in six games and registered 21 tackles as a sophomore last season.

Griffin, a junior from Fairburn, Ga., was charged with distribution of marijuana and possession of marijuana, among other charges. The two-year starter had 40 tackles and two pass deflections last season.

Lawrence, of Stockbridge, Ga., was charged with distribution of marijuana and possession of hashish with intent to distribute, among other charges. He collected 10 tackles as a redshirt freshman in 2010.

Johnson was charged with interfering with police. The junior from Decatur, Ga., started seven games and totaled 35 tackles and two interceptions last season.

Wade, from Nashville, Tenn., was cited for possession of marijuana when residue was found in his room during the execution of a search warrant. He has made 20 starts over the past two campaigns and collected 63 tackles and three interceptions as a sophomore last season.

FUGameBreaker
October 7th, 2015, 05:32 AM
No one is for an on field offense, the other is for an off field offense. Pretty easy. I think Furman players should bring it up in warm ups.

????? Make some sense son, one is a crimnal offense the other is not, yet they yield same punishment, total joke

FUGameBreaker
October 7th, 2015, 05:34 AM
Unless you are working in the athletics department, you really have no idea if Furman is kicking kids out on first offense. The NCAA only requires counseling (and mandatory testing) after a first fail (random) drug test for marijuana. Typically schools never even make a first offense public. Maybe Furman really does kick a kid out for a first offense, or maybe they just do a good job of keeping it quiet...you really don't know and neither do I.

Nah there is no 1 game suspension here, we kick them out asap, not that little slap on the wirst business you have going on at UTC where it must be win at all costs type of team management lol

OL FU
October 7th, 2015, 06:26 AM
There are very few schools that haven't had some behavioral issues with teen agers or those just above. Unless the issue is really serious, I would prefer to give the youngster (pardon my Danny Ford imitation) a chance not to do it again.

chattownmocs
October 7th, 2015, 06:27 AM
????? Make some sense son, one is a crimnal offense the other is not, yet they yield same punishment, total joke

How do they have the same punishment? Your dude got arrested and will have to go through the legal system? Do you think you sound smart with this type of argument?

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2015, 06:35 AM

Turns out the old ball coach there at UTC completely disagrees with you.

"We understand we're playing an excellent football team. Furman's record is probably not indicative of how good they are. They have played a monster schedule, two FBS schools and they won one of them against Central Florida.

"They played Coastal Carolina, one of the best teams in the country. It was a three-point game. They played South Carolina State last week who is very athletic. Furman hasn't won a lot of games this year, but they have played a very tough schedule. They've come out of it in pretty good shape. They're healthy and well coached. We know that if we don't play our best we won't win this game."

http://gomocs.com/news/2015/10/6/FB_1006153733.aspx

FUBeAR
October 7th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Nah there is no 1 game suspension here, we kick them out asap, not that little slap on the wirst business you have going on at UTC where it must be win at all costs type of team management lol

Kinda of a fun thread while y'all were focusing on the game. Good to see passionate SoCon fans going at it with each other over their beloved teams.

Speaking as:
- a 'belover' of 2 SoCon teams (1 of which is the subject of this thread)
- someone whose offspring was recruited by Coach Huesman, for whom I have great respect and admiration
- someone who has been a teammate of, Coached with, and been a friend of Coach Fowler for over 35 years
- someone whose offspring is currently a SoCon football player
- someone who has close personal relationships with many current SoCon players and their families...

...the direction to which this thread has recently turned makes me very sad and somewhat embarrassed. Anyone can post whatever the Admins will allow, of course, but I, for one, would like to see the conversation in this thread take a turn back to its original course. I find it difficult for fans of any school to represent their beloved programs well when they turn the course of discussion to topics, such as the one recently broached. Just my opinion, of course. Carry on.

OL FU
October 7th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Kinda of a fun thread while y'all were focusing on the game. Good to see passionate SoCon fans going at it with each other over their beloved teams.

Speaking as:
- someone whose offspring was recruited by Coach Huesman, for whom I have great respect and admiration
- someone who has been a teammate of, Coached with, and been a friend of Coach Fowler for over 35 years
- someone who has close personal relationships with many current SoCon players and their families...

...the direction to which this thread has recently turned makes me very sad and somewhat embarrassed. Anyone can post whatever the Admins will allow, of course, but I, for one, would like to see the conversation in this thread take a turn back to its original course. I find it difficult for fans of any school to represent their beloved programs well when they turn the course of discussion to topics, such as the one recently broached. Just my opinion, of course. Carry on.

Where's the "like" button. oh yeah that's the uffp:)

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2015, 07:12 AM
I, for one, want everyone UTC wants to throw at us available, suited up, and ready to get hit.

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2015, 07:22 AM
There are very few schools that haven't had some behavioral issues with teen agers or those just above. Unless the issue is really serious, I would prefer to give the youngster (pardon my Danny Ford imitation) a chance not to do it again.

Beat me to it.

KPSUL
October 7th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Head coach Russ Huesman (http://gomocs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=290)
Opening Statement.
"People ask all the time: when do you like to have a bye-week? I always think the third, fourth or fifth week of the season is probably the best time. We've been fortunate the last few years to have it fall either the third or fourth week of the season. A lot of times it's to try to get your guys healthy, but for us we've been healthy.

"I think it was more about getting them mentally rested and get them away from football a little bit. Hopefully it reenergizes their batteries and gets them excited to play, and get a big stretch here of seven weeks in a row where we have to play.

What makes Furman such a good team?
"They've been playing great defense. They're physical. They held South Carolina State to three points and an FBS school to twelve or fifteen points. Even against Virginia Tech at the half I think it was a seven or ten to nothing game. They've been playing really good defense. They're athletic on defense. They're pretty physical, so their defense has been carrying them no question."

Thoughts on Furman's quarterback.
"He's really important, first and foremost the leadership aspect of it and what he brings to that team. It seems like they always win when he's playing. There's something about him. He's not the fastest guy in the world. He runs well enough to beat you with his feet and throws a good ball. They don't throw it a ton, but when he throws it he's very accurate. He can throw a deep ball."

"I think someone said he's been voted captain three years in a row now, and he's got another year left so he's probably going to be four-time captain at Furman. He has great leadership skills. I think they play better when he's in the game. He's a gutty player. In his first game his freshman year, they played Clemson. He played really well and the bright lights didn't affect him. He's one of the best players in the league in my opinion."

Do you feel Furman is the toughest team in conference play?
"I have no idea. I know they're good. I think our league is good. There's a lot of people in the league that can beat each other. I think before it's all said and done there's going to be a ton of surprises, so nothing shocks me at all in this league. Do I think Furman is one of the better teams in this league? Yes, but I think there are a lot of good teams in the league too."

Sorry to regress back to making a serious comment on this thread, but Huesman is an excellent coach and a class guy!

Milktruck74
October 7th, 2015, 08:02 AM
No matter how flat you press a pancake, there are always two sides. Charged is not convicted. If VM did not legally own a handgun (and possess a ccw permit) this would not even be a story. Ironically, all the FU grads I know tend to fall on the more conservative side of the aisle, and would more thatn likely be echoing the statements above, if it wasn't involving an opposing teams player. That said, Both teams Represent the SoCon VERY WELL, both athletically and academically. Both have classy coaches and classy programs..... but on Saturday, the Mocs are going to represent a little better and with a little more class!!!!!

Jacob's runs happen very late in the play after the DL opens up a lane. He has done this his entire career, it is an instinctive thing, something that is not taught. I think his ability to get 10 yards (ANYTIME HE WANTS) will be the difference maker in the game. Let's see.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2015, 08:25 AM
No matter how flat you press a pancake, there are always two sides. Charged is not convicted. If VM did not legally own a handgun (and possess a ccw permit) this would not even be a story. Ironically, all the FU grads I know tend to fall on the more conservative side of the aisle, and would more thatn likely be echoing the statements above, if it wasn't involving an opposing teams player. That said, Both teams Represent the SoCon VERY WELL, both athletically and academically. Both have classy coaches and classy programs..... but on Saturday, the Mocs are going to represent a little better and with a little more class!!!!!

Jacob's runs happen very late in the play after the DL opens up a lane. He has done this his entire career, it is an instinctive thing, something that is not taught. I think his ability to get 10 yards (ANYTIME HE WANTS) will be the difference maker in the game. Let's see.

A few thoughts. I am not opining on the situation, though I think the "charged but not convicted" theory is a difficult one for football coaches everywhere. That's an internal discussion for each coach, I think. Sometimes that turns into a PR nightmare like it did for the 49ers with Ray McDonald.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Answering on the football related stuff separately.

I said this earlier, but I think Huseman is going to have to throw the ball. Furman does not notch a lot of sacks, but they maintain a contained rush. The DL has a great deal of quickness and speed, but stays under control. They don't over penetrate and do well to keep the passer in the pocket.

The Furman defense is built around keeping players off Magwood and Rider. The defensive backs are strong enough to play a lot of man coverage. Passes downfield can be risky with #2 lurking over the top. The DL is not big, but quick off the ball and occupies a lot of attention up front. All of that allows #55 and #46 to move sideline to sideline.

PaladinNation
October 7th, 2015, 09:39 AM
First let me say I find FUGameBreaker's bringing up of player stuff… embarrassing.

Has nothing to do with this game, or the quality of the Chatty program. Huseman and Fowler are class acts.

FUGameBreaker please stick to the game, no one is a saint. As CBF said earlier this season after a win 'our guys ain't perfect.'

I do think this game comes down to our d-line keeping our linebackers free to do what they do very well - hit!

FUGameBreaker
October 7th, 2015, 09:44 AM
How do they have the same punishment? Your dude got arrested and will have to go through the legal system? Do you think you sound smart with this type of argument?

What????? You got lost somewhere

FUGameBreaker
October 7th, 2015, 09:46 AM

Speaking as:

As a parent myself I am embarrassed by this small punishment for this player, sets a terrible example, sure I had plenty of drinking days back in college but never should anyone be carrying a gun around while doing so, that's just plain ridiculous.

FUGameBreaker
October 7th, 2015, 09:50 AM
First let me say I find FUGameBreaker's bringing up of player stuff… embarrassing.

Has nothing to do with this game, or the quality of the Chatty program. Huseman and Fowler are class acts.

FUGameBreaker please stick to the game, no one is a saint. As CBF said earlier this season after a win 'our guys ain't perfect.'

I do think this game comes down to our d-line keeping our linebackers free to do what they do very well - hit!

Ah its all fair game man, its a message board, I have not said anything unruly just stating my opinion.

FUGameBreaker
October 7th, 2015, 09:56 AM
xslapfightx

Nevertheless ill take a chill pill and digress, sorry if I offended anyone though from something I said, I will get back to football talk from here on out.

FUGameBreaker
October 7th, 2015, 02:33 PM
No. 6 Mocs Host Furman Saturday

(From UTC game notes) http://gomocs.com/news/2015/10/7/FB_1007155025.aspx

The No. 6 Chattanooga Mocs return to Southern Conference action this weekend, hosting the Furman Paladins. Game time is set for 1:04 p.m. (E.D.T.) on Saturday, Oct. 10, at Finley Stadium in Chattanooga, Tenn.

The Mocs are boasting their highest FCS ranking in school history. UTC carries a 3-1 overall record and a 1-0 mark in SoCon action into this weekend's matchup. The Paladins are 3-2 overall and also 1-0 in league play.

UTC moved up from No. 8 in both the STATS.com FCS Top 25 and the FCS Coaches Poll. These are the two rankings officially recognized by the NCAA. It is the 21st consecutive week the Mocs have been ranked, a streak that dates back to Nov. 9, 2013.

Furman has played a tough schedule that includes a three-point loss to then-No. 5 and current No. 1 Coastal Carolina. The Paladins have also faced two FBS teams, including an impressive 16-15 win at Central Florida on Sept. 19.

NOTES TO KNOW ABOUT THE SERIES
• This is the 45th meeting between these two teams.
• Furman leads the all-time series 27-17.
• The Mocs snapped a 15-game losing streak with a 36-28 win at Furman on Oct. 23, 2010.
• UTC has won four of the last five games.
• UTC has a better road record (10-12) than home mark (7-15) against Furman.
• The Mocs are just 1-8 against Furman in Finley Stadium.
• Chattanooga is 4-2 against Furman in the Russ Huesman (http://gomocs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=290) era (since 2009).
• The Mocs have not won four in a row against Furman since a five game winning streak to start the series from 1928 to 1968.

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Was surprised to see that UTC's second leading tackler has 26 tackles on the year. Furman's Carl Rider had 19 just against South Carolina State.

It doesn't tell me anything. Just found that interesting.

walliver
October 8th, 2015, 08:34 AM
No. 6 Mocs Host Furman Saturday

(From UTC game notes) http://gomocs.com/news/2015/10/7/FB_1007155025.aspx

• The Mocs are just 1-8 against Furman in Finley Stadium.
• Chattanooga is 4-2 against Furman in the Russ Huesman (http://gomocs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=290) era (since 2009).

Interesting that 3 of 4 Huesman wins have been in Greenville.
I also was not aware that Chatty had never won a game at Findley prior to Huesman; but they were pretty sucktacular for a long time.

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Interesting that 3 of 4 Huesman wins have been in Greenville.
I also was not aware that Chatty had never won a game at Findley prior to Huesman; but they were pretty sucktacular for a long time.

Furman owned the series for the better part of two decades. You go down that list from the early 90s until about 2010, and there were very few games that even bordered on "close."

What is kind of wild is that UTC has beaten Furman in Chattanooga only twice since 1985 ('94 and '13). That was hard for me to believe, even given their recent success.

I do think it is notable that UTC has not seen Furman's starting quarterback since 2012. They saw Duncan Fletcher in 2013 (a true freshman walkon who now plays TE), and PJ Blazejowski in 2014 (true freshman third string QB). UTC did see Reese Hannon as a true freshman in 2012.

I don't think history tells you a lot here. The two teams have not met at full speed in quite some time.

FUGameBreaker
October 8th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Just a friendly reminder (because the poll closes at 8pm today)

The Furman at Chattanooga game has been placed in the AGS FCS game of the week poll up against 2 MVFC games, to vote for it as game of the week visit this thread and get you're vote in:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?175183-AGS-GOTW-Week-6

chattownmocs
October 8th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Jacob Huesman (7-12 games left)

All time socon ranks

1st completion percentage

3rd tds

4th yds

#nepotism #daddysboy

UNIFanSince1983
October 8th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Furman - 1826
Chattanooga - 1886

Furman by 3 TDs.

FUGameBreaker
October 8th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Furman Looks To Extend Momentum Saturday Against Sixth-Ranked ChattanoogaGREENVILLE, S.C. -- Coming off a 17-3 victory over South Carolina State and sporting a three-game winning streak, Furman returns to Southern Conference play this Saturday when it travels to Chattanooga to face defending league champion and FCS sixth-ranked Mocs in a 1:00 p.m. clash at Finley Stadium.

The game will be carried by ESPN3

Continue reading article and FU game notes: http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2015-16/releases/20151008ir2iuv

FUGameBreaker
October 8th, 2015, 11:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HY2ohA0ook

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Furman Looks To Extend Momentum Saturday Against Sixth-Ranked Chattanooga

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Coming off a 17-3 victory over South Carolina State and sporting a three-game winning streak, Furman returns to Southern Conference play this Saturday when it travels to Chattanooga to face defending league champion and FCS sixth-ranked Mocs in a 1:00 p.m. clash at Finley Stadium.

The game will be carried by ESPN3

Continue reading article and FU game notes: http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2015-16/releases/20151008ir2iuv

Good grief. Last three games Furman's defense is surrendering 13.0 ppg, 271 ypg, and forced 9 turnovers. That'll do.

Some of that is wet conditions, but impressive nontheless.

FUGameBreaker
October 8th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Good grief. Last three games Furman's defense is surrendering 13.0 ppg, 271 ypg, and forced 9 turnovers. That'll do.

Turnovers are the key to getting a W saturday in my opinion

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Turnovers are the key to getting a W saturday in my opinion

Certainly.

Furman has to be able to use field position. UTC is too good to turn it over on our side of the field or punt it away to them at midfield. Our offense has to be consistent enough to keep giving our defense a long field to play with.

FUGameBreaker
October 8th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Certainly.

Furman has to be able to use field position. UTC is too good to turn it over on our side of the field or punt it away to them at midfield. Our offense has to be consistent enough to keep giving our defense a long field to play with.

+1

chattownmocs
October 8th, 2015, 08:04 PM

Interesting. Under Bruce Fowler, Furman is averaging 13 points and 252 yards against chattanooga.

FUGameBreaker
October 8th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Interesting. Under Bruce Fowler, Furman is averaging 13 points and 252 yards against chattanooga.

Yeah offense has been rough for us to say the least

citdog
October 9th, 2015, 01:11 AM
furman sucks but it would make things quite interesting in the league if they could win furman sucks

FUGameBreaker
October 9th, 2015, 10:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP4CqVpZYCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Y-nQw1nRE

FUGameBreaker
October 9th, 2015, 10:05 PM
13 hours then Nooga is going down! xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
October 10th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Get up its gameday! Woot woot!

FUGameBreaker
October 10th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Lookin like a damp day

Southern Bison
October 10th, 2015, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=chattownmocs;2263158]Jacob Huesman (7-12 games left)

Come out from your Mama's basement and face a little reality...there is no way in hell that Huesman has more than 8-9 games left in his college career. Chatty will likely make the playoffs but they won't get past the 2nd round.

For complete game analysis from Chattown, go to the Subway concession stand, order "extra anchovies", and the pimple-faced employee will take an unscheduled break and meet you by the condiment table.

ElCid
October 10th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Furman dives the length of the field to open the game.
Furman - 3
UTC - 0

#Furmansucks

AshevilleApp2
October 10th, 2015, 12:38 PM
furman sucks but it would make things quite interesting in the league if they could win furman sucks

I keep running across and laugh every time! xlolx xthumbsupx

grizband
October 10th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Furman drops a wide open pass that would have been a touchdown. However, they still lead Chattanooga 3-0 with 2:53 in the 1st quarter.

utcfan
October 10th, 2015, 01:42 PM
21-3 Mocs at the half.

FUGameBreaker
October 10th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Congrats Chatt on the win

I give up, we need new coaches this is a joke

utcfan
October 10th, 2015, 03:00 PM
31-3 Final

FUGameBreaker
October 10th, 2015, 03:05 PM
This Furman coaching staff is a joke

Milktruck74
October 10th, 2015, 03:17 PM
This Furman coaching staff is a joke

What ever happened to just admitting your team was outmatched by superior talent?

FUGameBreaker
October 10th, 2015, 04:16 PM
What ever happened to just admitting your team was outmatched by superior talent?

haha our coaching staff is a joke and outmatched because they are a joke in every facet of the game

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2015, 04:26 PM

Holier than thou private school kids will never admit that they were beat by a bunch of public school kids.

This might be the only time I ever quote Chattownmocs...

Hey Paladin Fans...Shut The Furman Up.

GoMocs :)

dgtw
October 10th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Jacob Huesman (7-12 games left)

All time socon ranks

1st completion percentage

3rd tds

4th yds

#nepotism #daddysboy

In two games at home vs. Jax State:

18/32 124 yards 0 TDs 1 INT

OL FU
October 10th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I'll say somethingxsmiley_wix Couple of different breaks in the first half would have made it closer but still not close. Obviously we have ways to go. Congrats Mocs.

chattownmocs
October 10th, 2015, 04:50 PM
In two games at home vs. Jax State:

18/32 124 yards 0 TDs 1 INT

That's a tribute to jax states D. He had a good game in his first career start against JSU. Regardless, His career accomplishments don't lie. I don't know why the concept of giving credit where it is due and taking pride in the fact that your D has stopped someone not many other teams have is such a difficult concept for you rednecks.

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2015, 04:55 PM
I'll say somethingxsmiley_wix Couple of different breaks in the first half would have made it closer but still not close. Obviously we have ways to go. Congrats Mocs.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OL FU again.

Thanks OL FU

dgtw
October 10th, 2015, 05:02 PM
That's a tribute to jax states D. He had a good game in his first career start against JSU. Regardless, His career accomplishments don't lie. I don't know why the concept of giving credit where it is due and taking pride in the fact that your D has stopped someone not many other teams have is such a difficult concept for you rednecks.

I did not know he played in the 2012 game. He did do well, 18/30 181 yards 2/0. But we had Jack Crowe then.

I thought saying he had bad stats against us was a tribute to our defense. I really don't care what he did the other games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUGameBreaker
October 10th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Holier than thou private school kids will never admit that they were beat by a bunch of public school kids.

This might be the only time I ever quote Chattownmocs...

Hey Paladin Fans...Shut The Furman Up.

GoMocs :)

You won 31-3, UTC coaching staff better than FU, what else does your ego need

chattownmocs
October 10th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I did not know he played in the 2012 game. He did do well, 18/30 181 yards 2/0. But we had Jack Crowe then.

I thought saying he had bad stats against us was a tribute to our defense. I really don't care what he did the other games.

166 and a td too. Either way he is 0-3 against jsu. Feather in your cap. He's still good.

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2015, 06:22 PM
You won 31-3, UTC coaching staff better than FU, what else does your ego need

My ego doesn't need anything. I listened to your bull**** all week and let my alma mater take care of business on the field...apparently your ego needs a quarterback, because I am still waiting for Hannon to show up.

FUGameBreaker
October 10th, 2015, 07:06 PM
My ego doesn't need anything. I listened to your bull**** all week and let my alma mater take care of business on the field...apparently your ego needs a quarterback, because I am still waiting for Hannon to show up.

I guess the joke here is you then, my mistake xnodxxrotatehx

FUGameBreaker
October 10th, 2015, 07:08 PM
UTC is a bad team that happens to be the champions of a very bad conference lol

All hail the mocs, winners of the SoCon and absolutely nothing else

citdog
October 10th, 2015, 09:35 PM

Sorry bro but the only time Tennessee-Chattanooga will be mentioned in the same paragraph much less the same sentence as furman is when y'all play each other in sports.

DoWe
October 10th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Sorry bro but the only time Tennessee-Chattanooga will be mentioned in the same paragraph much less the same sentence as furman is when y'all play each other in sports.
That's pretty much the same deal ya'll have have with furman, isn't it?

chattownmocs
October 10th, 2015, 09:46 PM

In which sport?

DoWe
October 10th, 2015, 09:50 PM
In which sport?
Reading comprehension.

citdog
October 10th, 2015, 09:56 PM
That's pretty much the same deal ya'll have have with furman, isn't it?

#1 public college in the South. furman sucks

chattownmocs
October 10th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Reading comprehension.

I understood what he said perfectly and my response was appropriate.

Southern Bison
October 11th, 2015, 12:29 AM
I understood what he said perfectly and my response was appropriate.
I see Hooked on Phonics worked for you...after the third try.

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Been out of town, but stopping in to congratulate UTC on a well deserved win. Eventually Furman was going to play a team that was going to make them pay for a lot of mistakes, and they sure enough did against UTC.

Best of luck to the Mocs the rest of the way. Good time for Furman to regroup.

KPSUL
October 11th, 2015, 07:19 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21455&stc=1

AshevilleApp2
October 11th, 2015, 07:32 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21455&stc=1

xlolx Fortunately only one Furman fan acts like that. Good win Chattanooga, you are the best football team in the Southern Conference right now.

CID1990
October 11th, 2015, 07:50 AM

Apparently furple is 4 touchdowns worse than the best team in the socon

and 4 points better than the worst one

Milktruck74
October 11th, 2015, 08:56 AM

I'll try and remember this every other week, while I'm signing checks for two Furman Grads!!! Good Schools tend to produce good employees.

OL FU
October 11th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I'll try and remember this every other week, while I'm signing checks for two Furman Grads!!! Good Schools tend to produce good employees.

Just remember you are talking to a Citadel fan. So your comment just fed the troll.xnodx

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2015, 09:40 AM
FUGamebreaker is taking the loss pretty hard this morning...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/jXxNFVRyiVQ/hqdefault.jpg

Milktruck74
October 11th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Just remember you are talking to a Citadel fan. So your comment just fed the troll.xnodx

yeah, itskind of like throwing some spare change to the homeless drunk, so he can buy a bottle of Wild Irish Rose.