PDA

View Full Version : PREDICTION THREAD

CharlestonAppFan
December 4th, 2006, 11:05 AM
OK, haven't seen any predictions for this weekend's games yet. I've been lurking here but haven't posted that much, so I'm happy to start a thread for once. Here goes:

Appalachian State 30 Youngstown State 14
From what I've seen on TV from YSU, they are a good team, but they can't stop great offenses. They do have a good offense with their running back, but I think ASU will adjust to this and keep their RB from running all over us. The main thing for ASU to do, is to continue to strike first and put up 14 points as quickly as possible. That way, YSU would have to start airing it out and that doesn't look like their specialty. ASU's scoring will determine the outcome in the first quarter. If it's close, then I will be biting my fingernails (what's left) until the end.

Montana 14 UMass 13
Very close game out there for this one. Both have solid defenses, but the offenses are a little suspect when facing tough D's. UMass has the athletes to get the job done, but do those athletes have the focus and mental toughness to play a whole game? If not, then Montana is discipline enough to outlast them. Turnovers will be the determining outcome in this game with neither team running away with the game. If one team goes up by 2 touchdowns, then that team's defense will not lose the game for them.

Just my opinion on these games without the freakin smack.

MYTAPPY
December 4th, 2006, 11:13 AM
ASU 28, YSU 20

Montana 13, Umass 17

GGASU
December 4th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Appalachian 31

YSU 17

Tickets sales look good this morning, so we should have around 20k in Boone for this one.

Montana 24

UMass 14

On a neutral field it is a toss up, Wash-Griz gives Montana an extra 10 pts.

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I think ASU 42 YSU 31. I think it'll be ASU 21 YSU 17 at the half with App pulling away in the 4th.

UMass 20 Montana 21. I think UMass gets up early but Montana's defense shuts them down in the 3rd & 4th quarters. A blocked XP will give Montana's D the win.

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Appalachian State 33, YSU 24 -- I hope I'm wrong here, but Appy State is heavily favored. ASU's home-field advantage should help.

Montana 5, UMass 3 -- Montana in December is not pleasant. The defenses will battle it out in this game that will be decided by a safety. Possibly a bad snap on a punt?

These 4 teams proved that they're the best 4.

psc2445
December 4th, 2006, 11:23 AM
i like asu against ysu: 31-23

at some point there has to be some sort of upset in this tourney(and i dont want it to be us) so i am giving the nod to umass: 17-13

AppGuy04
December 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Not gonna do scores, but I think both games will be within a touchdown

I have ASU and UMass winning

The game in Missoula will NOT be pretty to watch

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I already posted a prediction in the ASU-YSU thread...

ASU 27, YSU 17: The Penguins pull to within 4 (21-17) in the third quarter, and have multiple chances to take the lead in the 2nd half, but ASU's defense steps up, forces a three-and-out here and a turnover there, and sets up a short drive to make it a 10-point ASU victory.

I'll be on the edge of my seat until late in the 4th quarter.

An ASU win brings up 2 small milestones: 1) a second trip to the National Championship, and 2) a program record 13th win. Of course, the big milestone would still be a week away.

YSU is magnanimous in defeat and the Penguin faithful tune in to root for the Mountaineers in Chattanooga.

As for the M&M bowl...I like BillLuc's 5-3 prediction, Montana winning by a safety.

ncguitarplyr
December 4th, 2006, 11:39 AM
massachusetts/montana is the fcs game of the year to this point.....

ASU 35, YSU 10
UMASS 17, Montana 10

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM
ASU 35 YSU 14

Montana 24 UMass 20

carney2
December 4th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Apparently no suspense in 2006. The higher seed wins each game.

penguinfan
December 4th, 2006, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=CharlestonAppFan]OK, haven't seen any predictions for this weekend's games yet. I've been lurking here but haven't posted that much, so I'm happy to start a thread for once. Here goes:

Appalachian State 30 Youngstown State 14
From what I've seen on TV from YSU, they are a good team, but they can't stop great offenses. They do have a good offense with their running back, but I think ASU will adjust to this and keep their RB from running all over us. The main thing for ASU to do, is to continue to strike first and put up 14 points as quickly as possible. That way, YSU would have to start airing it out and that doesn't look like their specialty. ASU's scoring will determine the outcome in the first quarter. If it's close, then I will be biting my fingernails (what's left) until the end.

Fan,

Don't underestimate what other offensive weapons YSU brings to the table. JMU successfully shut our run down and we passed for 315 yards. YSU is a power runnng, smash mouth, ball control team, but we will take what the D will give us. Stop the run, but be able to deal with the pass. Also, YSU does not fall apart when they find themselves on the short side of the score. We were down 11 points in the fourth qtr to JMU, 11 points to SIU and came back to win both games. I look for both sets of fans to be munching on their fingernails to the end.

PS...no way will ASU have the margin of victory you posted. Warning...don't take the Penguins so lightly! My only hope is your team is looking at Chatty and the the next round. Could be in for an eye opener!!!!

ncguitarplyr
December 4th, 2006, 12:11 PM
only common opponent:
ysu beat jmu by 4
asu beat jmu by 11 (with our backup quarterback)

asu has 0 losses to FCS opponents this season
ysu has 1 loss to 7-4 uni by 8

i already posted all the statistics and asu dominates almost all of them

i think it's ysu fans that are underestimating asu

thmst30
December 4th, 2006, 12:33 PM
ASU should win in my mind, but theres no doubt that this will be the biggest test of the year. People are underestimating YSU, and too many people think ASU will just run over them because we have done it all year. However it is about time for us to have one of our average games like against Wofford, and YSU will be the most prepared team we have faced so far. I still like ASU, but this one is certainly not in the bag at all.

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM

See my post on Page 1 of this thread (and no I didn't edit it). I'm a YSU fan but I'm being a realist.

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 12:48 PM
ASU should win in my mind, but theres no doubt that this will be the biggest test of the year. People are underestimating YSU, and too many people think ASU will just run over them because we have done it all year. However it is about time for us to have one of our average games like against Wofford, and YSU will be the most prepared team we have faced so far. I still like ASU, but this one is certainly not in the bag at all.
You think Saturday's game was above average?

MplsBison
December 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM
YSU - 21
ASU - 14

Mass - 28
Mont - 14

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 12:50 PM
YSU 38 ASU 35

Montana 17 UMass 7

proasu89
December 4th, 2006, 12:52 PM
YSU - 21
ASU - 14

Mass - 28
Mont - 14
You keep picking against us and we keep winning. Please stay onboard until the 15th.:hurray:

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 12:53 PM
YSU - 21
ASU - 14

Mass - 28
Mont - 14
Thanks MplsBison! You just guaranteed us a win. Your last prediction was we'd loose by a touchdown to MSU. :eek:

MSU beats App State by at least a touchdown.

I guess that means we'll beat YSU by 21. :hurray:

penguinfan
December 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM
only common opponent:
ysu beat jmu by 4
asu beat jmu by 11 (with our backup quarterback)

asu has 0 losses to FCS opponents this season
ysu has 1 loss to 7-4 uni by 8

i already posted all the statistics and asu dominates almost all of them

I think you should take a look at the Sagarin strength of schedule, one stat you missed. Clearly YSU has played a tougher slate. As far as who is guilty of underestimating, just read some of the threads on here. I don't see one YSU fan doubting the strength of ASU. We are the underdog, no doubts here. You may even call us the Davey against Goliath........just remember how that one turned out :smiley_wi

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks MplsBison! You just guaranteed us a win. Your last prediction was we'd loose by a touchdown to MSU. :eek:

I guess that means we'll beat YSU by 21. :hurray:

Looks like you guys have your own Cap'n Cat. He loves picking against us, even did so for the Indy State game :eek: ....I know it's in jest but he's 2-11 so far....come on Cap'n pick ASU :hurray:

CharlestonAppFan
Fan,

Don't underestimate what other offensive weapons YSU brings to the table. JMU successfully shut our run down and we passed for 315 yards. YSU is a power runnng, smash mouth, ball control team, but we will take what the D will give us. Stop the run, but be able to deal with the pass. Also, YSU does not fall apart when they find themselves on the short side of the score. We were down 11 points in the fourth qtr to JMU, 11 points to SIU and came back to win both games. I look for both sets of fans to be munching on their fingernails to the end.

PS...no way will ASU have the margin of victory you posted. Warning...don't take the Penguins so lightly! My only hope is your team is looking at Chatty and the the next round. Could be in for an eye opener!!!!

I'm not at all underestimating YSU. If a team gets this far into the playoffs, then that team is well above average and very good and deserves to be there. I think ASU's weakness is being able to stop RB's who run hardnosed up the middle and the occassional break outside. I believe we are above average with our secondary play so we can definitely deal with the pass attack.

If YSU is down by 14 points to App in the 4th quarter, I find that it will be hard to come back through the air against us. Not only does YSU have to deal with our corners & safties, but our pass rush should pose a problem at the end of the game as well.

I just don't think that YSU will be able to run effectively if they are behind by a couple of touchdowns or become pass happy against our defense. This is the reason why ASU hasn't had a lot of trouble this year. By scoring so quickly with points in the 1st quarter, it has kept us from having to deal with great RB's throughout the season.

Not saying that we will dominate; I'm saying that if, if we get to an early lead by 2 touchdowns, then it will be playing into our type of game. If not, then the true test will be Armanti's game management. Our D will be there no matter what.

elkmcc
YSU - 21
ASU - 14

Mass - 28
Mont - 14

I really hope you are not betting your family's milk money. You have been betting against the Griz all season. Don't stop now though.:hurray:

Note to ralph: We need a green with envy emoticon when you get the chance.

MYTAPPY
I think you should take a look at the Sagarin strength of schedule, one stat you missed. Clearly YSU has played a tougher slate. As far as who is guilty of underestimating, just read some of the threads on here. I don't see one YSU fan doubting the strength of ASU. We are the underdog, no doubts here. You may even call us the Davey against Goliath........just remember how that one turned out :smiley_wi

Penguinfan I here you. I can assure you that Coach Moore is not going to let his players overlook any game. We never have. I think this game will go down to the wire. Good Luck YSUxprost2x

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Looks like you guys have your own Cap'n Cat. He loves picking against us, even did so for the Indy State game :eek: ....I know it's in jest but he's 2-11 so far....come on Cap'n pick ASU :hurray:
HP, we're fine with him picking you guys. xlolx

You never know, he might be right one of these days. :eek:

mistersykes
December 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM
At this point, with all seeds in, there is no David vs. Goliath matchup as some have suggested. Nobody will be overlooked.

ASU 35
YSU 24
I think this game will come down to YSU having to force/score off of turnovers and App holding Mason in check.

Montanta 14
UMass 13
It'll be interesting to see how Swogger does in this game. I'm predicting a high-scoring affair. ;)

AZGrizFan
December 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM
YSU - 21
ASU - 14

Mass - 28
Mont - 14

So, Montana's given up a grand total of 9 points in 8 quarters of playoff football, and somehow UMass is going to find the endzone FOUR times? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Wait......I guess that could be 8 field goals and two safeties.....

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 02:28 PM
So, Montana's given up a grand total of 9 points in 8 quarters of playoff football, and somehow UMass is going to find the endzone FOUR times? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Wait......I guess that could be 8 field goals and two safeties.....

Or fourteen safeties

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM
UMass @ Montana

The UMass offense looked good to me, with balance from both the run and pass. But the Montana defense is easily the best defense UMass will have seen in the playoffs so far, so I don't look for Baylark to rip off those long runs in this game. They'll have to grind it out a lot more.

What I am unsure of in this game is how UMass' defense will stand up to the Griz offense. A lot of people are picking a low scoring game here, I'm not sold on that, at least from the Griz side. Montana has looked bigger and faster than all their opponents so far, and nothing I saw from UMass leads me to think this matchup will be different. UMass fans can complain all they want to about it, I'll let their team prove who's right.

UMass 17
Montana 31

YSU @ ASU

I'm not underestimating YSU, but for my pick to come true I'm counting on Armanti picking things back up and being a lot more successful with the pass. I think we will have to pass effectively to keep YSU on their heels. But I also have still to see a team in I-AA that can match up physically with the Apps. Of the other three teams left, Montana is the only one that I think can run with us (litereally run I mean).

I like this matchup a lot better for our defense. I-AA teams centered around star receivers and quarterbacks have given us trouble. I-AA teams centered around star tailbacks have been less effective. YSU should probably be looking to counter with draws and screens, which did give us trouble on Saturday at times. But the big thing is can YSU's O-line outplay our front seven? The emergence of Byrom in the middle and Tharrington to complement Murrell on the ends has been a welcome point that shored up one of traditionally weakest links.

One thing that did concern me was the tackling ability of Corey Lynch. He went a lot to trying to knock down receivers rather than wrap them up, clearly because of the elbow. He can still run and pick balls, but if he's one on one against a receiver with the ball, it's not a done deal right now as it usually is.

On offense, it all begins and ends with Edwards' recovering from (for him) a substandard game. I think we need to establish his throwing abilities early to take the pressure off of him. Maybe it will be like the last two weeks, where the opposing defense will have no answer for the read-zone play and Edwards and Richardson's legs, but my guess is YSU will try and overload the box and make Armanti prove that he can beat YSU with the arm. It's the way I'd gameplan based on last week's game, at least.

So, with all that said, I am assuming Armanti passes well enough to keep YSU honest, and our running game takes control. Close game at the half, we pull away late.

YSU 20
ASU 35

AZGrizFan
December 4th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I don't see my Griz puttin up 31 on UMass. I'd say

Griz 21
UMass 13

As far as App State/YSU, App State always seems to find opportunistic ways to win....

App State 28
YSU 17

AshevilleApp
December 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
If our front 4 do not get pressure our secondary can get picked apart by an accurate passer/good reciever set (ala Coastal). To me that is our second biggest weakness which lags far behind our stupid turnovers/penalties. We hold the ball we win, we drop it we lose.

Armanti is dangerous because even if you rush the pass he's quick enough to turn a broken-down pass play into a 30-40 yard run....that's difficult to contain and plan for....

This one is tough to call.....

yosef1969
December 4th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Montana - 14 Two great defenses battle it out but home field swings it to UM
UMASS - 10

ASU - 34 Much closer than I'd like.
YSU - 28

FlyYtown
December 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM
As a YSU fan I am just thankful games are played on the field, and not on paper or message boards because it would be a blowout right now for ASU.

Yes YSU is an underdog, this is not the only time we've been underdogs. I know ASU is loaded and they are good... but at the same time: I love running on the fact we won, what I believe is, the toughest conference in the CS: The Gateway Football Conf. We lost to Penn St. and our usual loss to UNI by 8; in a game YSU had a shot to tie.

Prediction---Wait till later on.....
But I am not going to part away from my penguins even if they are playing in Boone!

UMASS-MONTANA
I still think UMass is overrated and smack away at that.. Montana seems to be getting it going for 4 quarters and shut down SIU.

Championship Game:
Youngstown's own Josh Swogger of Montana
vs.
The Youngstown State University.

GO PENGUINS!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

MplsBison
December 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM
So, Montana's given up a grand total of 9 points in 8 quarters of playoff football

Versus McNeese St and SIU. Wow.

UMass is the GPI #1 team in the nation for a reason.

Grizo406
December 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM
This is more of a "What I'd Like to See Happen" than it is a prediction.

I'd like to see the Griz beat UMass simply because I've got an extra $1200 that's burning a hole in my pocket, all my Christmas presents have been bought, and I want to go to Chattanooga with a "few" close friends. Can we do it? I don't have a clue, and I'm worried about this game...A LOT!

I'm really torn on the App State/YSU game. I'd like to see YSU win so Josh Swogger can play against, and in front of some of his old friends...should the Griz win their game. On the other hand, I'd like to see App State win because my Mom is somewhat of a Mountaineer fan, and lives in Franklin, NC. But blood is thicker than water, so I'm going with App.

slycat
December 4th, 2006, 04:07 PM
App St
UMass

Footix
December 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Youngstown may score some points on Appalachian. They are probably more athletic than CCU and MSU, but the Mountaineers still have too much speed on defense...Plus Lynch will be be closer to himself after looking a bit rusty on Saturday... And it's still the Rock ... App 34 YSU 24. As for the other game ... It's a toss up.

Grizo406
December 4th, 2006, 05:20 PM

So, where it counted, how come they ended up with a #3 seed?

Wow indeed.

AZGrizFan
December 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM

That's right. I forgot. In your mind, the Bison are so good, they'd have made McNees and SIU GIVE their points BACK to NDSU. The scores would have been something along the lines of:

NDSU 148
McNeese State -34

NDSU 127
SIU - 28

God you guys are GOOD!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But that's ok, you keep pickin' against the Griz, there o' disgruntled one. You've been WRONG all year. Why stop now?

FuturePenguin
December 4th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I'll just give one prediction, and then reasonings behind it. YSU 35, ASU 17.
I think that appy state is looking past the penguins, and that is not a smart thing to do to a hungry penguin team. After the schedule they played compared to ASU's, I say there will be a new #1 sunday morning. You can give me all the stats you want, but it comes down to two things: schedule strenght, and the will to win. And YSU has both of those this year.

BeauFoster
December 4th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Don't confuse what you read on this (or any other, for that matter) message board. The ASU team doesn't overlook any opponent. Some fans on here may be chalking the game up as a W for App, but the Mountaineers are not. Many thought that they would look past CCU, then MSU, and they did not. I don't know how this game will turn out, I don't have a crystal ball. But if ASU brings its A game, it will take one helluva game by the Penguins to win.

ASU 35
YSU 21

Footix
December 4th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Don't confuse what you read on this (or any other, for that matter) message board. The ASU team doesn't overlook any opponent. Some fans on here may be chalking the game up as a W for App, but the Mountaineers are not. Many thought that they would look past CCU, then MSU, and they did not. I don't know how this game will turn out, I don't have a crystal ball. But if ASU brings its A game, it will take one helluva game by the Penguins to win.

ASU 35
YSU 21

It was probably the best thing in the world for Armanti to struggle against MSU. It could be a sign that he's going to struggle more and more as the playoffs move on, but more than likely it was just an off week. Our defense isn't that great, but we do have some pretty good athletes on defense and he made our guys look helpless. I don't think Edwards will have the kind of day he had in the first round but I don't think he makes the same mistakes he did against MSU. If you have Richardson and Armanti's legs, why do you even need to throw?

mistersykes
December 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I think that appy state is looking past the penguins, and that is not a smart thing to do to a hungry penguin team. After the schedule they played compared to ASU's, I say there will be a new #1 sunday morning. You can give me all the stats you want, but it comes down to two things: schedule strenght, and the will to win. And YSU has both of those this year.

I don't know why you think that anyone is being overlooked. It's the semi-finals. There are no freebies at this point, and it would be silly for anyone (fan or player) to say that there are.

Peems
December 4th, 2006, 06:38 PM

that just made me laugh, picturing a hungry penguin.xlolx

KiddBrewer
December 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
App 91
YSU 3

KiddBrewer
December 4th, 2006, 09:19 PM
i kid i kid,

App 31
YSU 20

Montana 14
UMass 10

apper195
December 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM
App 35
YSU 24

Montana 21
UMASS 16

psc2445
December 4th, 2006, 10:29 PM

come on, with the overlook stuff. it is the damn semifinals. i believe both teams are respecting each other and lets just see how it turns out

BrevardMountaineer03
December 4th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Appalachian State 35
Youngstown State 21

Montana 14
UMass 10

Good Luck to all!

Go App!

grizdad
December 4th, 2006, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=Black and Gold Express]UMass @ Montana

The UMass offense looked good to me, with balance from both the run and pass. But the Montana defense is easily the best defense UMass will have seen in the playoffs so far, so I don't look for Baylark to rip off those long runs in this game. They'll have to grind it out a lot more.

What I am unsure of in this game is how UMass' defense will stand up to the Griz offense. A lot of people are picking a low scoring game here, I'm not sold on that, at least from the Griz side. Montana has looked bigger and faster than all their opponents so far, and nothing I saw from UMass leads me to think this matchup will be different. UMass fans can complain all they want to about it, I'll let their team prove who's right.

UMass 17
Montana 31

I agree with you on this post. With only 3 days to prepare for Montana UMass will be at a disadvantage. The Griz coaching staff has put a ton of wrinkles into this offense in the last 3 weeks, screens, TE passes, draws, a new running back, Berquist. Bagley looked GREAT last weekend along with our other 6'4 inch recievers. Chambers cannot be defended consistantly at all, Allen is a stud too. I would not want top be a coach and have to prepare for MONTANA'S OFFENSE:nod: right now. :twocents:

SeattleGriz
December 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
APP ST 28
YSU 24

As much as I would like to see YSU win, so Swogger could play all his high school friends, I just think App has too much for YSU.

Montana 31
UMASS 10

The Griz are gonna scare the crap out of everyone after this game. Plus, I will be there, so that will be worth 10 points.:smiley_wi

BigSkyGrizGano
December 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
So thus far Appalaichan is the overwhelming favorite while UMASS -Montana is very much a toss up. Not surprising, UMASS is better on paper but they play in Missoula, so it pretty much evens out.
Montana 21 Massachusets 17 - Swogger hits underestimated Great Falls High Grad Rob Schulte for a 56 yard TD pass to win the game in the final minutes.
Appalaichan 31 Youngstown 27 OT - Appalaichan is proved vincible in a close overtime game that is settled by an Armanti scramble for a game winning touchdown.

HLecter
December 4th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I already posted a prediction in the ASU-YSU thread...

ASU 27, YSU 17: The Penguins pull to within 4 (21-17) in the third quarter, and have multiple chances to take the lead in the 2nd half, but ASU's defense steps up, forces a three-and-out here and a turnover there, and sets up a short drive to make it a 10-point ASU victory.

I'll be on the edge of my seat until late in the 4th quarter.

An ASU win brings up 2 small milestones: 1) a second trip to the National Championship, and 2) a program record 13th win. Of course, the big milestone would still be a week away.

YSU is magnanimous in defeat and the Penguin faithful tune in to root for the Mountaineers in Chattanooga.

As for the M&M bowl...I like BillLuc's 5-3 prediction, Montana winning by a safety.

YSU fans will NOT be magnanimous in defeat. First you have to beat us on the field , not here.

If the unthinkable does happen and you guys play Montana, YSU fans will be rooting for the Griz and our homeboy Josh Swogger,,,that is unless you meet me in Boone and bribe me with a bottle of Crown,,,then it will be GO EERS!xlolx

Old Cat Fan
December 4th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Umass 27 Montana 17 Grizz nation comes to a sudden stop and goes into hibernation till next fall, while the Minutemen go on to the finals.

HLecter
December 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM

I don't have a dog in this hunt,,,,but McNeese and especially Southern Illinois are not exactly slouches on offense.

Montana wins it with their D

As far as App (there is only one ASU and it is in Arizona) vs YSU,,,,the posts I have read so far sicken me.

Buckle up your chin-straps,,,,This YSU Offensive Line is the best in school history and we are talking 4 pro OL in YSU's history.

The YSU OL is arguably the best in the country.

JMU stacked the box against us to stop Mason,,mission semi-accomplished he ran for 80 and 2 TD. We threw for 315.

They blitzed and had two STUD, I mean STUD LB's --our QB was never sacked and was seldom hurried. JMU had 48 sacks coming into that game.
No ints, no fumbles.

Last week ILS had the best LB Unit in America, Siskowic, Stewart and the other guy (LOL) and a very athletic DL, we run for 180, pass effectively with 2 TD passes--NO SACKS, no int, one fumble lost.

I'm telling you guys, do NOT underestimate the strength of the Gateway teams that we beat. A ton of Big Ten transfers and a whole bunch of guys that will play on Sundays.

Start checking websites for more info on our Offensive Line,,and a blocking fullback that is being scouted by the pros.,,

Try this one www.we'llkickyourass.com or even this one www.300lbersthatcanrun.com.

Tell your D to bring the Tylenol

grizwin
December 5th, 2006, 01:26 AM
ESPN loves those story lines solets say:
YSU 31 appy st 28

GRIZZZZZ 24
umass 6...

Sounds like a plan the SWOGGER youngstown thing

KiddBrewer
December 5th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Appalachian State 35
Youngstown State 21

Montana 14
UMass 10

Good Luck to all!

Go App!

i agree with ya brother, i think that montana/umass game is gonna be a low scoring one. i agree on both.

SpreadtheRed
December 5th, 2006, 01:40 AM
YSU - 35
App. State - 28 (OT!)
(For me this one is a toss up, both teams are REALLY REALLY Good. But being a gateway fanboi, I gotta stick with my boys from Youngstown :))

Montana - 21
UMass - 9
This game will be closer than the final score dictates, Montana will score late to put the game away.

texcap
December 5th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Appalaichan 31 Youngstown 27 OT - Appalaichan is proved vincible in a close overtime game that is settled by an Armanti scramble for a game winning touchdown.

I know it's picky, but this is an impossible score in an overtime game.:rotateh:

If App State scores first and gets the extra point then they will lead by 7. In this scenario YSU will either 1) score a TD and kick the PAT to go to another OT; or 2) score a TD and miss the extra point and ASU will win by 1; or 3) score a TD and get a 2-point conversion and YSU wins by 1; or 4) YSU does not score and ASU wins by 7. YSU will NOT kick a field goal just to lose by 4.

If on the other hand YSU kicks a field goal first and AppState scores a TD in the last part of OT, AppState will not kick the extra point. The game will end when the six goes up.

FargoBison
December 5th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Montana-17
UMASS-14

YSU-31
App St-34

mlbowl
December 5th, 2006, 07:38 AM
YSU - 21
ASU - 14

Mass - 28
Mont - 14

In 8 home games the Griz have given up an avg of 9.625 pts but UMass is gonna roll us for 28:thumbsup:

james_lawfirm
December 5th, 2006, 07:44 AM
A number of posters have commented on how good the Gateway Conference was this year. ASU did not play anyone from the Gateway this year. We did beat So. Ill. & No. Iowa last year in the playoffs, as I recall.

My question for Gateway team posters: Was the Gateway better this year than last year? If so, why and by how much? Please give examples.

ncbears
December 5th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Montana 17
UMass 7

ASU 21
YSU 17

penguinfan
December 5th, 2006, 08:05 AM
come on, with the overlook stuff. it is the damn semifinals. i believe both teams are respecting each other and lets just see how it turns out

Certainly is apparent by some of the predicted scores that you are overlooking us! 14+ point victory seems to be the Appy consensus.
I would hate to see the predicted scores if you were overlooking us!

Black and Gold Express
December 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Certainly is apparent by some of the predicted scores that you are overlooking us! 14+ point victory seems to be the Appy consensus.

I recall this same tripe last week. MSU fans playing the disrespect card all week long.

Final score, ASU by 19. Could have been much bigger.

For those of us that have been following this team all year long, it's not a stretch in the least to pick a 14+ point win. We've only been doing it practically all season long. You do something enough, you have to be proven wrong on the field but won't pick against the trend.

Every opponent we've faced this year has said afterwards we are better than they expected. Maybe that trend continues this weekend. Maybe YSU will turn the tables and prove to be better than we expected. There's no way to know.

I expect YSU to play a good game. I also believe we are that much better a team and it will show. I am looking forward to the game, that's for sure.

penguinfan
December 5th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I respect your opinion of Appy's chances and the dominance you have displayed this season. You guys are #1 and the defending champs (at least until 7:00 PM Saturday :smiley_wi ). I have said it before, YSU is a cut above anyone you guys have faced this year, especially in the playoffs. We come from a battle tested conference and have had two dog fights against powerful opponents in our playoff games. This is going to come down to speed vs. power. I think our seldgehammer approach will prevail.

AshevilleApp
December 5th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Posters here may be "overlooking" YSU...but I can assure you Jerry Moore is not.

DaGriz
December 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I'd like to see the Griz beat UMass simply because I've got an extra $1200 that's burning a hole in my pocket,

If we lose I'll be down town Missoula Friday night if you need help burning that hole in your pocket at one of the bars.

GrizFanIRAQ
December 5th, 2006, 11:30 AM
:twocents: The average scoring for the five semifinal games at Washington-Grizzly Stadium is 46-10, in favor of Montana. So I say GRIZ 46 UMASS 10

YSU 27 APP ST. 25

apper195
December 5th, 2006, 12:18 PM
There is a buzz around campus this week.........I have a feeling the rock is gonna make a difference this saturday. App 35 YSU 24

Tod
December 5th, 2006, 01:18 PM
In 8 home games the Griz have given up an avg of 9.625 pts but UMass is gonna roll us for 28:thumbsup:

In the last four home games, it's been:

Cal Poly - 9
MSU - 7
McNeese - 6
SIU - 3

D seems to be getting better every week. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Black and Gold Express
December 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM
This is going to come down to speed vs. power. I think our seldgehammer approach will prevail.

History (including a lot of our own) has shown that the good sledgehammer team tends to lose to the good speed teams. Because you cannot hit what you cannot catch.

Look back that the playoffs the last decade. The only team that won it with a truly plodding/pounding approach was JMU. In all the others, the team that won it was the team that ran circles around the other.

ASU was that same plodding/pounding team. We'd be good for 8-9 wins a year, and early playoff exits, usually to teams that outran us. We go to the spread, focus on speed as a weapon, and after a year of adjustment are 23-1 against I-AA teams with it. It's not a coincidence.

I'm not saying it can't be done by YSU, but history shows that this matchup in general does not go the way of your style of team.

Peems
December 5th, 2006, 02:05 PM
History (including a lot of our own) has shown that the good sledgehammer team tends to lose to the good speed teams. Because you cannot hit what you cannot catch.

Look back that the playoffs the last decade. The only team that won it with a truly plodding/pounding approach was JMU. In all the others, the team that won it was the team that ran circles around the other.

ASU was that same plodding/pounding team. We'd be good for 8-9 wins a year, and early playoff exits, usually to teams that outran us. We go to the spread, focus on speed as a weapon, and after a year of adjustment are 23-1 against I-AA teams with it. It's not a coincidence.

I'm not saying it can't be done by YSU, but history shows that this matchup in general does not go the way of your style of team.

to add on to what B&G said is when the Griz rose to power it was with the our profilic passing offense. All of our receivers were small quick fellows such as Shalon Baker(the touchdown maker), Matt wells, Douglass, hell even Gurnsey. We couldnt recruit the big guys so we got little quick guys who you couldnt see and couldnt catch and sure enough we won the title. So yes speed kills. but i think what the YSU fan was pointing out was that when YSU is on offense they will grind it out. According to the ASU fans that was your main weakness as the Wofford game pointed out. But i guess we shall see...

sdgriz24
December 5th, 2006, 02:41 PM
YSU-14
ASU-10

UMont-7
Umass-0

Peems
December 5th, 2006, 03:13 PM
YSU-14
ASU-10

UMont-7
Umass-0

if those scores hold true, you are a genius. but i dont see ASU only scoring 10 points, doesnt mean YSU wont win but to hold them to 10?:eyebrow:

AZGrizFan
December 5th, 2006, 03:15 PM
In the last four home games, it's been:

Cal Poly - 9
MSU - 7
McNeese - 6
SIU - 3

D seems to be getting better every week. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Naaaah. Just the teams gettin' easier. Right A-10 fans? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :p

AZGrizFan
December 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I recall this same tripe last week. MSU fans playing the disrespect card all week long.

Final score, ASU by 19. Could have been much bigger.

I love comments like this.

You know, the Griz COULD win all their games by 40 points, if they never had to kick field goals, never turned the ball over, and never had a penalty.

Fact is, ASU won by 19. Is that not good enough? xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

lizrdgizrd
December 5th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I love comments like this.

You know, the Griz COULD win all their games by 40 points, if they never had to kick field goals, never turned the ball over, and never had a penalty.

Fact is, ASU won by 19. Is that not good enough? xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex
It's good enough for a W, and that's all that matters at this time of year! :thumbsup:

BillLuc1982
December 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM
YSU-14
ASU-10

UMont-7
Umass-0

2 * (pMONTANA + pMASS)&#178; < (pASU + pYSU)

YSU and ASU will not play a defensive game

Black and Gold Express
December 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM
According to the ASU fans that was your main weakness as the Wofford game pointed out. But i guess we shall see...

Our close games have all had one thing in common, ASU turnovers. GSU we had 4. Wofford we had 2 or 3. Montana State we had 3.

This is going to sound like smack, but it's not meant to be. It's just going over the numbers. In our I-AA games this year, we literally have been our own worst enemy this season, moreso than any of our opponents. Not a knock on the teams we've faced, are facing and hopefully will face, but the trend is there. If ASU hangs onto the ball, the game's most likely an ASU blowout win. If we are careless with it, then the opportunity is there that we could be beaten. But our defense has been tough as well and dragged us out of all of these bad games on offense, so it's not like it's a given.

Peems
December 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Our close games have all had one thing in common, ASU turnovers. GSU we had 4. Wofford we had 2 or 3. Montana State we had 3.

This is going to sound like smack, but it's not meant to be. It's just going over the numbers. In our I-AA games this year, we literally have been our own worst enemy this season, moreso than any of our opponents. Not a knock on the teams we've faced, are facing and hopefully will face, but the trend is there. If ASU hangs onto the ball, the game's most likely an ASU blowout win. If we are careless with it, then the opportunity is there that we could be beaten. But our defense has been tough as well and dragged us out of all of these bad games on offense, so it's not like it's a given.

but would you still say if you had to pick a weakness on your defense it would be smashmouth, run up the gut football?

I would say montana's "weakness" on D is big receivers and the deep threat.

sdgriz24
December 5th, 2006, 03:40 PM
2 * (pMONTANA + pMASS)² < (pASU + pYSU)

YSU and ASU will not play a defensive game

Which is why I picked it low.Cuz noone else is.

ncguitarplyr
December 5th, 2006, 03:41 PM
asu plays well
ysu plays well
=asu wins

asu plays well
ysu plays bad
=asu wins

asu plays bad
ysu plays bad
=asu wins

asu plays bad
ysu plays good
=?

Black and Gold Express
December 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM
but would you still say if you had to pick a weakness on your defense it would be smashmouth, run up the gut football?

I would have said that at the beginning of the year, but the emergence of Byrom (and to a lesser degree, Orlebar) and the linebackers have made it so our up the middle run defense is a pretty solid unit now.

In fact, I'd say our weakness right now is the same as yours - big wideouts and jump balls. But that's where our two All-American safeties come into play. But if they can't get over in time, Woazeah and Touchstone can be beaten for jump balls. But it's splitting hairs here. We are in the top 10 in total defense and YSU will find this quite a challenge.

We are an aggressive defense. MSU found ways at times to use it against us, but never for too long. That is YSU's best bet really. If they become too one-dimensional we will defeinitely shut it down with our aggressiveness. If they mix it up successfuly, then the results could be positive for them on offense.

Bobcat in NC
December 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Mountaineers by 13, 27-13
Griz by 10, 17-7

BillLuc1982
December 5th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Mountaineers by 13, 27-13
Griz by 10, 17-7

Now that's good math :rolleyes:

NC Mountaineer
December 5th, 2006, 04:14 PM
App St - 24
Youngstown St - 20

UMASS - 17
Montana - 14

Killsback
December 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Appy State 24
YSU 21

Montana 20
UMASS 10

Appy State 24
Montana 13

Griz Fan
December 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM
: 3689 From the archives
13-13 at the half
Montana receives the second half kickoff drives for 7
UMass turns the ball over on their next possession, Montana gets 3 out of it
3rd quarter ends
4th quarter ends
Montana 23
Massachuettes 13
:cool:

texcap
December 5th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Now that's good math :rolleyes:

No worse than the two posts on here discussing ASU's 19 point victory over MSU. The game I watched on ESPN2 ended 38 to 17, which I believe is a 21 point difference. I am unsure what game they were watching.

Col Hogan
December 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM
:twocents: The average scoring for the five semifinal games at Washington-Grizzly Stadium is 46-10, in favor of Montana. So I say GRIZ 46 UMASS 10

YSU 27 APP ST. 25

Yea, Montana is going to hang 46 points on the UMass defense. The only prediction I'll make is they don't score half that many points this Friday.

UMass922
December 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Appalachian State 31
Youngstown State 21

Montana 19
Massachusetts 10

james_lawfirm
December 6th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Yes, I would say that if ASU has a weakness, it is smashmouth football, straight up the middle. Thing is, I am not sure that would work. At the beginning of the year, NC State beat us with it. But, they only scored 23 points. As the year has gone on, our defense has stiffened in the middle, and our offense and special teams are firing on all cylinders.

I think now that the only way to beat ASU is with a complete game. Good O, good D, and good special teams.

I do hope we are playing Montana in Chatty. A #1 vs. #2 matchup would be great. But rest assured that neither the coaches nor the team is overlooking YSU. I know they will have their hands full.

GOKATS
December 6th, 2006, 07:36 PM
ASU 24
YSU 17

Umass 17
Umont 13

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
YSU - 21
ASU - 14

Mass - 28
Mont - 14

So you picked MSU over ASU by a touchdown on the road, but picked us to lose by two at home xidiotx

lizrdgizrd
December 6th, 2006, 07:52 PM
YSU - 21
ASU - 14

Mass - 28
Mont - 14
So you picked MSU over ASU by a touchdown on the road, but picked us to lose by two at home xidiotx
Obviously playing at Wa-Griz is no advantage for Montana. xlolx xidiotx

FlyYtown
December 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Youngstown State 31
Appalachian State 28
[2 Turnovers Kill ASU===>Am I that out in left field!]

Montana: 27
UMASS: 14
[Swogger continues to get better.... faces his hometown team on the 15th!]

lizrdgizrd
December 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Youngstown State 31
Appalachian State 28
[2 Turnovers Kill ASU===>Am I that out in left field!]

I think we'll have to have more than 2 turnovers for it to kill us. Unfortunately that's not that unlikely either. : smh :

Cleets
December 6th, 2006, 08:02 PM
massachusetts/montana is the fcs game of the year to this point..

In a weird way, I actually agree...

1) The most obnoxious fans
2) #2 vs. #3 and that's either or, (should read #2 vs. #2) they are both the second best team in the country and have proven it
3) The two best defences = Montana on points allowed and Umass on Scoring D-fence

this will be the best game all year (period)

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Obviously playing at Wa-Griz is no advantage for Montana. xlolx xidiotx

Guess it just can't compare to the Fargo dome. Someone's a little bitter about our AD blowing off his team

Tod
December 6th, 2006, 08:07 PM
ASU 24
YSU 17

Umass 17
Umont 13

UMont? I kind of like that. Always liked UMass and UConn. Pretty cool stuff.

:) :) :thumbsup:

Paladin1aa
December 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm on the record on our board --

YSU 28
ASU 24

Have to say Swogger will prevail --

Mont. 31
UMass 21

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
In a weird way, I actually agree...

1) The most obnoxious fans
2) #2 vs. #3 and that's either or, (should read #2 vs. #2) they are both the second best team in the country and have proven it
3) The two best defences = Montana on points allowed and Umass on Scoring D-fence

this will be the best game all year (period)

I know I didn't get into Hawwvard, but aren't points allowed and scoring defense the same thing?

Griz40
December 6th, 2006, 08:36 PM

YSU 28
ASU 24

Mont. 31
UMass 21
I would have to pick those numbers as well!

ASUMountaineer
December 6th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Appalachian State 38
Youngstown State 24

Montana 24
UMass 17

B&G
December 6th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Here's what it will take for YSU to beat ASU this weekend...

1) A good start - So many teams have trouble avoiding a bad start when coming into The Rock. In the first few drives YSU can not afford to go three-and-out and for ASU to come out with guns blazing thereby spotting us 10-14 points before settling down. That will put them behind the 8 ball and stifle their opportunity to play the grinding ball control game they supposedly have planned. Speaking of which...

2) Ball control - Time of possession can be a misleading stat when playing against a team like App who has the ability for the quick strike. However with a smash mouth game that keeps the chains moving it'd be possible to wear down our defense. More importantly it might keep the offense from ever developing the flow they need to mount a consistant attack.

3) Ball Control Part 2 - I truly believe that YSU must win the turnover battle by at least +2 to win this game. There have been a lot of posters who say that we will have trouble stopping YSU. This may be true. But there doesn't seem to be many people saying how they are going to stop ASU.

4) Avoid Giving Up The Big Play - Whether it be a blocked punt return or a long run for a TD, I think YSU has to make sure the Mountaineers don't give much reason for the fans to cheer and help that momentum.

-- I will take ASU by 10 due to a late TD to clinch the win. YSU is certainly capable of pulling out the win but it will take a stellar performance. This isn't a homer pick. If it is ASU-Montana in the finals I would unfortunately lean toward taking the Griz. But in all reality I do think App wins this game.

Paladin1aa
December 6th, 2006, 09:07 PM
B&G-- pardon me while I xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Watch the game. You'll find out what we are going to do !! :thumbsup:

B&G
December 6th, 2006, 09:13 PM
B&G-- pardon me while I xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Watch the game. You'll find out what we are going to do !! :thumbsup:

I will be at KBS so yeah I figured I might try to watch some of the game while I'm there. I'm sure I'll be finding out what you guys are gonna do the same time that you do. God forbid someone uses a discussion board to discuss it beforehand. xcoffeex

AppGirl82
December 6th, 2006, 09:13 PM
App: 27
YSU: 14

Montana: 14
UMASS: 10

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2006, 09:16 PM

YSU 28
ASU 24

Mont. 31
UMass 21

HEY...."HAPPY FEET".....EVERAH HERE O'.....A-10?........UMA$$...AWK!

Cleets
December 7th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I know I didn't get into Hawwvard, but aren't points allowed and scoring defense the same thing?

Yes, You're correct.. but I was trying to be cute:

both teams are ranked #2
both teams have the best D-fence

I'll work on my humor a bit, clearly it's not working for me...:)

Cleets
December 7th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Here's what it will take for YSU to beat ASU this weekend...

1) A good start - So many teams have trouble avoiding a bad start when coming into The Rock. In the first few drives YSU can not afford to go three-and-out and for ASU to come out with guns blazing thereby spotting us 10-14 points before settling down. That will put them behind the 8 ball and stifle their opportunity to play the grinding ball control game they supposedly have planned. Speaking of which...

2) Ball control - Time of possession can be a misleading stat when playing against a team like App who has the ability for the quick strike. However with a smash mouth game that keeps the chains moving it'd be possible to wear down our defense. More importantly it might keep the offense from ever developing the flow they need to mount a consistant attack.

3) Ball Control Part 2 - I truly believe that YSU must win the turnover battle by at least +2 to win this game. There have been a lot of posters who say that we will have trouble stopping YSU. This may be true. But there doesn't seem to be many people saying how they are going to stop ASU.

4) Avoid Giving Up The Big Play - Whether it be a blocked punt return or a long run for a TD, I think YSU has to make sure the Mountaineers don't give much reason for the fans to cheer and help that momentum.

-- I will take ASU by 10 due to a late TD to clinch the win. YSU is certainly capable of pulling out the win but it will take a stellar performance. This isn't a homer pick. If it is ASU-Montana in the finals I would unfortunately lean toward taking the Griz. But in all reality I do think App wins this game.

These are the kind of Posts I come here to read: Thank you

HaveFunKc
December 7th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Umass: 16
Montana: 20

I think this will be a great defensive battle early in Wa-Griz... I'm expecting a few points to be scored by somebody's defense (maybe even a turnover being a huge factor). Montana will ride the homefield advantage to Finley stadium on a 4th quarter drive that breaks UMass heart.

YSU: 13
App: 31

YSU will be the best team App has played to-date - no question. YSU has a powerful running game - demonstrated over the season many times. YSU's scoring rest in the battle between YSU O-line and ASU D-Line (power v/s speed). The one thing I expect is the Mountaineer defense to step up to the challeng by taking its play to another level and meeting the YSU rushing attack head on. My money's on speed saturday...

YSU's D will contain either Richardson or Edwards or Mayfield or Receivers, but not all as the App O-line steps up once again for consistent gains. YSU will probably force at least one turnover, but after the turnover lowlights of last week, I have a feeling App will take care of the ball a little better this week and ride a 27-game home winning streak to Chatanooga with a shot at Back-to-Back championships.

Could the games go differently? Hell yea - that's why they play the games. Go Mountaineers!!

WSBE
December 7th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately, no team will beat UMASS. They are too good. I think they could win one third the bowl games this year. They will win in Montana by 7+ & take the title in what, sadly,won't be a close game either.

On another note...since we're making predictions...how bout this: Tom O'Brien leaves BC to go to NC State. They are mentioning one potential candidate is Steelers quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple (the former UMASS coach who, with Don Brown, led the Minutemen to a national title). So Whipple gets the BC job...hires Don Brown as his D-coordinator. I would think Brown would have to take a D-Coordinator job for an ACC team (& be on the fast track for a BCS head coaching job)....or perhaps Brown is a candidate for O'Briens replacement but they are waiting until he wins the National Championship? ....what would be even crazier?? You would figure that one of UNHs Sean McDonnell or Chip Kelly gets the UMASS job if Brown left!!!

sdgriz24
December 7th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Unfortunately, no team will beat UMASS. They are too good. I think they could win one third the bowl games this year. They will win in Montana by 7+ & take the title in what, sadly,won't be a close game either.

haha,you sound so sure.:eek:

WSBE
December 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM
believe me...I hope I'm wrong. Try to stop #5, #81, #82, & #83 on every play....it's hard