PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-28

JALMOND
September 29th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Now the start of October is upon us and this is when the games start to get more meaningful. September is when the games are played for fun, October is time for seriousness. This weekend in the Big Sky is a full slate of conference games with Eastern Washington being the odd man out, so we are going to start to see which teams belong and which do not. Here are this week's power rankings for the conference (last week's rankings in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinions only and all are up for discussion. Onward to October!

1. Eastern Washington (1)---last week, won at Sacramento State 28-20, this week BYE---The Eagles got by last week but did not put up a very high score in the process. Perplexing to say the least, but the defense was also able to hold down the Hornets from scoring. The Eagles get a bye this weekend.

2. Montana State (3)---last week, beat Cal Poly 45-28 at home, this week at Northern Arizona---The Bobcats had no problem keeping their high scoring offense going, but rather shockingly, their defense also came to play. They may need solid play from both side once again this weekend.

3. Portland State (2)---last week, beat Western Oregon (DII) 31-0 at home, this week North Dakota at home---Not real flashy but it gets the job done is how the Vikings have looked so far this season. They are off to their best start since 2000, the only year they made it to the playoffs. A long way to go and a tough test this weekend.

4. Montana (5)---last week, beat Northern Arizona 23-14 at home, this week at UC-Davis---The Grizzlies defense came up big last week in shutting down Northern Arizona, enabling the offense to find its rhythm. Can they get back to playing fast this weekend on the road?

5. Cal Poly (4)---last week, lost at Montana State 45-28, this week Idaho State at home---The Mustangs were hoping for a sweep of the Montana schools but came out flat at the start last week. They get a chance at a feel good game this weekend, but they cannot afford to look past anyone.

6. Northern Arizona (6)---last week, lost at Montana 23-14, this week Montana State at home---The Lumberjacks were able to keep close to the Grizzlies on the road but just could not get the win. Now, they need a win over the other Montana school, and that will be a tall order.

7. North Dakota (7)---last week, beat UC-Davis at home 31-24, this week at Portland State---The Dakotans are looking pretty good so far in this short season. Are they able to contend this year or will they fall short? They get a strong test this weekend with a road conference game.

8. Weber State (8)---last week won at Northern Colorado 38-17, this week Southern Utah at home---Another team that has been surprising is the Wildcats, as their usually non-existent offense has been showing signs of life. A good test for the them this week.

9. Southern Utah (9)---last week, beat Brevard College (DII) 55-7, this week at Weber State---Obviously not surprising was the relative ease the Thunderbirds had in putting away their DII opponent. Things no doubt will get tougher this weekend as they face their instate conference foe.

10. Sacramento State (11)---last week, lost to Eastern Washington at home 28-20, this week Northern Colorado at home---Maybe last week turned a page for the Hornets as they stayed close to one of the elite teams in the conference. They will now need to follow that up with a strong performance this weekend.

11. UC-Davis (12)---last week, lost at North Dakota 31-24, this week Montana at home---The Aggies had their shots to get a road win but could not come through. Equally shocking would be to stay close, or even get a win this weekend at home against Montana.

12. Idaho State (10)---last week, lost at Nevada-Las Vegas (Mountain West) 80-8, this week at Cal Poly---The first example of a major train wreck. Boise State was supposed to be the tougher of the Bengals two FBS games, but they treated this game like a Vegas vacation. Now, things do not get easy.

13. Northern Colorado (13)---last week, lost to Weber State at home 38-17, this week at Sacramento State---The Bears have shown some life this season but they have not been able to come up with wins after playing conference games. Perhaps this weekend, but then again, perhaps not.

RECAP: 1-4 together, 5-6 falling behind, 7-9 behind them, 10-11 trying to keep up, 12-13 falling back.

veinup
September 29th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Pretty much agree, but I'd switch CP and Montana.

thanks for the writeup as always.

tomq04
September 29th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Portland State should survive for a 4-0 start, wow!!!
EWU gets a huge bye, currently sitting on 12 injured STARTERS, with several to be ready for Cal Poly in 2 weeks, I think we get to enjoy #1 even through a bye.
Mont & Mt St are both in weird spots and need to win, fortunately I do think they are above the rest of the pile.

Go Vikings!

Grizalltheway
September 29th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I know CP has had a tough schedule, but so has UM, and one of us is 1-3 and the other is 2-2.xtwocentsx

veinup
September 29th, 2015, 11:38 AM
I know CP has had a tough schedule, but so has UM, and one of us is 1-3 and the other is 2-2.xtwocentsx

you keep getting in the way of my montana hate train.

BisonFan02
September 29th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Every SDSU fan out there should be the biggest UND fan this year...are there 4 more wins on their schedule to slip into the postseason at 7-4?

Grizalltheway
September 29th, 2015, 02:08 PM
you keep getting in the way of my montana hate train.

I do what I can. ;)

jacksfan29
September 29th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Every SDSU fan out there should be the biggest UND fan this year...are there 4 more wins on their schedule to slip into the postseason at 7-4?

Don't disagree, and it just may happen which would allow us to stay out of Fargo till the quarters or semis.

Now, if we get the seed and you don't... they run the table in the BSC and you falter to us and UNI in conference play, could a 3 loss Bison team end up in Grand Forks?

Regionalization baby Regionalization.

tomq04
September 29th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Don't disagree, and it just may happen which would allow us to stay out of Fargo till the quarters or semis.

Now, if we get the seed and you don't... they run the table in the BSC and you falter to us and UNI in conference play, could a 3 loss Bison team end up in Grand Forks?

One can dream!

BisonTru
September 29th, 2015, 02:43 PM

It's possible, but they (UND) would have to out-bid us if they aren't seeded.

UNDColorado
September 29th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I just think UND is not good enough to look ahead at the playoffs. They need to focus one week at a time. True test this weekend in Portland. If UND wins this weekend then this debate next week at this time is legit and I look forward to it.

Nodak78
September 29th, 2015, 03:51 PM
I just think UND is not good enough to look ahead at the playoffs. They need to focus one week at a time. True test this weekend in Portland. If UND wins this weekend then this debate next week at this time is legit and I look forward to it.

Agree +1,000

jacksfan29
September 29th, 2015, 04:24 PM
It's possible, but they (UND) would have to out-bid us if they aren't seeded.

As I stated, "if they run the table in the BSC".

A one loss (to NDSU) UND team would get a seed. They aren't playing in the NEC or Patriot, it is the Big Sky. I think you also need to be honest with yourself, if UND did get into a bidding war with you I'm not sure you win. I have a feeling UND supporters would offer up a lot of cash to get NDSU to Grand Forks for a first round playoff game. A lot of BIG $. It would be really fun to watch from the outside.

tomq04
September 29th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I have a feeling UND supporters ...

How many supporters are there?!?

MTfan4life
September 29th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Darell doesn't even post here anymore, yet we're still talking about UND potentially hosting playoff games even though it is only September! Do you guys all miss darell or something??? Second, a team who has won the last 4 national championships would never get outbid in this messed up scenario. Third, UND has a 3 point win over Drake and a 7 point win over UC-Davis and now we're talking about them running the table?? Their road schedule is brutal with a much improved PSU, a much improved WSU, an always tough Cal Poly, and a Montana team that has been waiting 4 years to get UND back into their home stadium. They also host Montana State and Idaho State, and as we've seen, UND struggles against the passing game. I mean, I get that it's easy for all of you to get hard just talking about UND, but come on. It's September and the best win of a team they've beaten is William Jewell.

BisonFan02
September 29th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Darell doesn't even post here anymore, yet we're still talking about UND potentially hosting playoff games even though it is only September! Do you guys all miss darell or something??? Second, a team who has won the last 4 national championships would never get outbid in this messed up scenario. Third, UND has a 3 point win over Drake and a 7 point win over UC-Davis and now we're talking about them running the table?? Their road schedule is brutal with a much improved PSU, a much improved WSU, an always tough Cal Poly, and a Montana team that has been waiting 4 years to get UND back into their home stadium. They also host Montana State and Idaho State, and as we've seen, UND struggles against the passing game. I mean, I get that it's easy for all of you to get hard just talking about UND, but come on. It's September and the best win of a team they've beaten is William Jewell.

It should be noted that I ONLY said UND needed to string together 4 more wins...they then become a matchup perhaps for a 1st round play in game against a Pioneer school...winner then plays a seeded NDSU rather than SDSU taking their annual/regionalized 2nd round beating. :D

jacksfan29
September 29th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Oh relax, I was just having some fun with the NDSU fans. Just mention UND and playoffs in the same sentence and some, not many but some will absolutely go off the deep end. You know, you live up there.

No more thread drift. I don't expect UND to be in the playoffs, just having some fun at the expense of our Bison friends.

BisonFan02
September 29th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Oh relax, I was just having some fun with the NDSU fans. Just mention UND and playoffs in the same sentence and some, not many but some will absolutely go off the deep end. You know, you live up there.

No more thread drift. I don't expect UND to be in the playoffs, just having some fun at the expense of our Bison friends.

No offense to me...I would much rather see that tomato can make a return trip to Fargo in a second round game versus you guys again... xlolx

Bisonator
September 29th, 2015, 09:25 PM
As I stated, "if they run the table in the BSC".

A one loss (to NDSU) UND team would get a seed. They aren't playing in the NEC or Patriot, it is the Big Sky. I think you also need to be honest with yourself, if UND did get into a bidding war with you I'm not sure you win. I have a feeling UND supporters would offer up a lot of cash to get NDSU to Grand Forks for a first round playoff game. A lot of BIG $. It would be really fun to watch from the outside.

Never happen. Hockey season starts in a couple weeks.;)

Hambone
September 30th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Never happen. Hockey season starts in a couple weeks.;)

Sad but true.....although if the football team is winning they do get some support even during hockey season.......xembarrassedx

F'N Hawks
September 30th, 2015, 08:41 AM
UND might end the year 4-7, let's rein it in a bit. (and for the record, it was an NDSU fan starting the playoff talk)

Walkon79
September 30th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Early season statement game for the Cats last week. If the defense can be just average the rest of the way in Big Sky play, I really like our chances. And the schedule is pretty favorable with no road trips to CA after three last year.

Thumper 76
September 30th, 2015, 01:29 PM

To be honest, the scenario you suggest and the thoughts of what bisonville would be like makes me giggle like a little girl

jacksfan29
September 30th, 2015, 01:43 PM
To be honest, the scenario you suggest and the thoughts of what bisonville would be like makes me giggle like a little girl

Mind numbingly fun. xnodx

centennial
September 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM
UND might end the year 4-7, let's rein it in a bit. (and for the record, it was an NDSU fan starting the playoff talk)
UND could make the playoffs. Especially with the Wyoming win. I see 2 wins on your schedule- Idaho St and Northern Colorado. You will need 2 more wins, not impossible with how down the Big Sky is this year. I want it for selfish reasons as well, because then SDSU doesn't become our first round.

UNDColorado
September 30th, 2015, 02:15 PM
UND could make the playoffs. Especially with the Wyoming win. I see 2 wins on your schedule- Idaho St and Northern Colorado. You will need 2 more wins, not impossible with how down the Big Sky is this year. I want it for selfish reasons as well, because then SDSU doesn't become our first round.

Idaho State seemed to get a lot of hype early on but after their blowout loss against UNLV it is certainly winnable. Realistically the game on Saturday against PSU will tell us all a lot about how good UND is or isn't.

It would be great to see UND in the playoffs but it would suck to have to play NDSU on their turf. Tip of the hat to the atmosphere in the dome.

Walkon79
September 30th, 2015, 02:23 PM

Really? 4 Teams in the top 15 in the Country?

Grizalltheway
September 30th, 2015, 02:29 PM

I would say top heavy is more accurate, but it seems like it's that way most years.

Walkon79
September 30th, 2015, 03:55 PM
I would say top heavy is more accurate, but it seems like it's that way most years.

Agreed!

catbob
September 30th, 2015, 04:05 PM
I expected UM, MSU, EWU, ISU, and CP to be the top dogs this year, with NAU not far behind (they are usually solid). ISU has stunk it up so far, CP just had a brutal start, and the jury is still out at NAU.

I think after this weekend is over, your top teams will be UM, MSU, EWU, and PSU. Cal Poly can rebound but it's too late for the playoffs most likely.

Yes, top heavy as usual. The middle of the pack Big Sky teams aren't too bad normally, but we seem to have some real stinkers this year.

MTfan4life
September 30th, 2015, 07:39 PM
but we seem to have some real stinkers this year.

I disagree. I think there are a good amount of middle to lower Big Sky teams who are better this season than they have been the past couple years. Northern Colorado looks just like they usually do and Sac. State definitely lost a lot from last season, but Weber State is much improved from 2014. Southern Utah is also showing great strides and their defense has been solid for 13 of the 16 quarters they've played this season. The 2015 version of UND would annihilate the 2013 version. As we've seen, Portland State has also improved drastically. Idaho State looks bad so far, but with all that offensive talent, you can't really count them out until they've played a few more conference games. Even UC-Davis has played competitively in most of their games. I think the league is a lot more balanced than people think, and I also believe that the middle to lower tier teams will make a little more noise this season than they have in the past.

bobcathpdevil56
September 30th, 2015, 08:16 PM
I think the middle of the pack is better as well. Weber and UND are improved. I know ISU has not played well but they are still leaps and bounds ahead of even four years ago.

JALMOND
September 30th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Early season statement game for the Cats last week. If the defense can be just average the rest of the way in Big Sky play, I really like our chances. And the schedule is pretty favorable with no road trips to CA after three last year.

You still have to come to Portland in two weeks.:D

centennial
October 1st, 2015, 02:50 PM

I checked the numbers. You guys are correct, overall the league is slightly stronger, but it is down since 2012. I get clouded by MVFC vs Big Sky matchups. That isn't a good indicator of performance within the FCS.
Sagarin 2015- 48.32
2014- 46.47
2013- 46.72
2012- 53.89
2011- 54.75
2010- 57.22
2009- 54.64
2008- 53.64
2007- 44.85

Red & Black
October 1st, 2015, 05:08 PM
I get clouded by MVFC vs Big Sky matchups. That isn't a good indicator of performance within the FCS.

Neither is the Sagarin, honesty.

veinup
October 1st, 2015, 10:47 PM

such a crazy thing to hear

centennial
October 1st, 2015, 11:08 PM
Neither is the Sagarin, honesty.
Agree to disagree. Massey or Sagarin outperform 120 football enthusiasts in the playoff challenge. They are a good indicator by the middle of the season.

BisonFan02
October 3rd, 2015, 07:38 PM

Bump....they've got winnable games left.

tomq04
October 3rd, 2015, 10:45 PM
One hell of a week. SUU defensive beat down, Psu loses at home, MSU can't hang.

Ewu after healing up.
Montana
UND
SUU
PORTLAND ST
MSU?

Or is msu going to outscore everyone else and should be higher?

MTfan4life
October 3rd, 2015, 11:09 PM
Agree to disagree. Massey or Sagarin outperform 120 football enthusiasts in the playoff challenge. They are a good indicator by the middle of the season.

That was one season. There are years where Massey would have gotten slaughtered in the playoff challenge.

veinup
October 4th, 2015, 10:38 AM
One hell of a week. SUU defensive beat down, Psu loses at home, MSU can't hang.

Ewu after healing up.
Montana
UND
SUU
PORTLAND ST
MSU?

Or is msu going to outscore everyone else and should be higher?

i think MSU should be higher for that reason, yes.

all i'm certain of right now is Eastern at #1.

Then maybe UND or SUU. Then maybe MSU/UM. Portland state.

I wish I could confidently put UM higher but I think their record is misleading. Haven't really played a solid game since beating the Bison ..

Walkon79
October 5th, 2015, 05:52 PM

I know. That was the next road game that worries me, even more so after Saturday :(

nodak651
October 5th, 2015, 06:06 PM

I wish I could confidently put UM higher but I think their record is misleading. Haven't really played a solid game since beating the Bison ..

I think you are a year or two early for UND to be number two. We got hit pretty hard last week with the injury bug and we are pretty thin at some key positions. Both of our safeties are hurt, and the CB's are probably the weakest spot on the defense. With our QB/WR combo, we will not be able to play from behind very well.

There is just no way I see UND as a favorite vs Montana or Montana State. Maybe I'm just used to us losing since I started following the program as a freshman in 2008.... I don't know.

nodak651
October 5th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Hopefully the defenses in the Big Sky are bad enough to where we can move the ball on the ground with consistency... then we have a shot at winning 3-4 of our last 6 games.

nodak651
October 5th, 2015, 06:10 PM

Does SUU losing their Offensive Coordinator affect your ranking?

veinup
October 5th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Does SUU losing their Offensive Coordinator affect your ranking?

Daaaaamn .. that news hadn't gotten to me yet. i guess that changes things..