PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 4

superman7515
September 26th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Week 4 is just about in the books as I type this, only UNLV blasting Idaho State is left and I think they've gone to a running clock. Everything else is on there, just need to find a recap of the Eastern Washington game in the morning, but other than that, it is good to go. Remember that the Sagarin Rankings are through last weeks games until you see the asterisks removed and that the results hyperlink to recap articles to help give a little more insight than just a box score.

If you notice any errors, please let me know so I can get them corrected and thank you all for making "How They Fared" the number 1 tool on AGS for filling out your brackets each week and for your help in keeping it accurate and useful!

Also, since the thread was closed last week since people wanted to discuss the rankings, I'm posting this in the FCS Poll section as well, so you can argue away over there. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16whRZMnh6exqS7A_oP9KpKHnKvFopvjTaV_GehghsY4/edit?usp=sharing

wmmii
September 27th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Thanks for all your hard work, could not do without this tool!

ngineer
September 27th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all your hard work, could not do without this tool!

+1

tomq04
September 27th, 2015, 10:41 AM
I'd like to point out the grit in EWUs ugly win at sac st. but injuries need to be taken into account before moving ewu up very high.

They are down 2 starting wide receivers with what appears to be season ending injuries and their freshman fill ins are leaving something to be desired. I belive the count is currently 10 injured starters including.

2 wr
1 rb
2 o lineman
Kicker
#2 qb

I'd have a hard time keeping them above about #10 unless a few of these guys come back in time for cal poly in 2 weeks. Fortunately this is the best timed bye I think we have ever had.

UNI Pike
September 27th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Apparently EWU needs some time fitting some new, stickier gloves. Did the WR coach actually take his own life during the game, as rumoured?

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Red & Black
September 27th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'd like to point out the grit in EWUs ugly win at sac st. but injuries need to be taken into account before moving ewu up very high.

They are down 2 starting wide receivers with what appears to be season ending injuries and their freshman fill ins are leaving something to be desired. I belive the count is currently 10 injured starters including.

2 wr
1 rb
2 o lineman
Kicker
#2 qb

I'd have a hard time keeping them above about #10 unless a few of these guys come back in time for cal poly in 2 weeks. Fortunately this is the best timed bye I think we have ever had.

They started the game down 10 starters, and lost 3 during the game. So, 13 guys out that started against Oregon in Week 1. A lot of those guys should be back in two weeks against Cal Poly, however.

pokefan02
September 27th, 2015, 04:35 PM
That sounds like McNeese 2014

Sent from my HTC M8

BlueHenSinfonian
September 27th, 2015, 04:36 PM
How did almost the entirely of the MVFC end up with a bye-week on the same day?

fmrbearkat
September 27th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Actuallh when I was reading it I thought it sounded a lot like the sandbagging McNeese fans from the last few years!

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2015, 05:10 PM
How did almost the entirely of the MVFC end up with a bye-week on the same day?

Just a quirk of the conference schedule, I believe. Essentially, the conference scheduled games every weekend from here on out (final 8 weeks of the season) which meant that if a team was going to have a bye week, it'd have to do it prior to the start of conference play. Most teams were able to work it out so they'd get the latest bye week possible (this weekend), but two teams (SDSU and SIU) weren't able to get it worked out on their schedule, or decided that it was more important to play those previously scheduled games than to try to get out of them and ended up taking their bye weeks last weekend.

For every MVFC team, from here on out it's 8 straight weeks of some of the toughest teams in the country...no breaks.

Houndawg
September 27th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Just a quirk of the conference schedule, I believe. Essentially, the conference scheduled games every weekend from here on out (final 8 weeks of the season) which meant that if a team was going to have a bye week, it'd have to do it prior to the start of conference play. Most teams were able to work it out so they'd get the latest bye week possible (this weekend), but two teams (SDSU and SIU) weren't able to get it worked out on their schedule, or decided that it was more important to play those previously scheduled games than to try to get out of them and ended up taking their bye weeks last weekend.

For every MVFC team, from here on out it's 8 straight weeks of some of the toughest teams in the country...no breaks.

SIU has the toughest schedule in the FCS this year

UNI Pike
September 27th, 2015, 07:08 PM
According to Massey, SIU SOS is 12th. EIU somehow has toughest schedule to date. Then Cal poly, eastern Washington, UNI and WIU. I'm sure that will bounce around some from week to week.

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2015, 07:26 PM
According to Massey, SIU SOS is 12th. EIU somehow has toughest schedule to date. Then Cal poly, eastern Washington, UNI and WIU. I'm sure that will bounce around some from week to week.

Yea, it will. Preseason SOS had WIU with the #1 toughest schedule. At the time Eastern IL was ranked right at the edge of the top 25 in the STATS poll, CCU was up there in the top 5, and there was a game against Big 10 Illinois (so...no apparent "cupcakes"). In addition to that, we have UNI, ISUr, and NDSU all on the road and we don't play Missouri State this year (or last year).

I think at this point, Eastern gets a lot of SOS credit for Northwestern being 4-0 with a win over ranked Stanford and being currently ranked #16 in the FBS AP poll. You also see more Big Sky teams up there because they've been playing pretty well with wins over some FBS teams and Montana defeating NDSU. So, because other teams in the conference are doing well, the teams that play them have a bit higher SOS than they started out with.

Probably won't be a ton of movement from here on out though, as teams just beat up the other teams in their own conferences for the most part. For example, say Western beats Southern this next weekend. Western goes up, Southern goes down, and the teams that play both of us (everyone except SDSU and MSU) pretty much stay the same in terms of SOS.

PantherRob82
September 27th, 2015, 07:48 PM
SIU has the toughest schedule in the FCS this year

I assume this is a joke, right?

Liberty, SEMO and Indiana?

clenz
September 27th, 2015, 08:25 PM
I assume this is a joke, right?

Liberty, SEMO and Indiana?
I think he's including conference play

@ WIU
v MSU
@ ISUB
v YSU
v NDSU
@ USD
v ISUr
@ UNI

Though I think UNI's is tougher due to h/r split

@ IaSU v EWU @ Cal Poly @ ISUr @ NDSU v WIU @ SDSU v USD v ISUb @ MSU v SIU

PantherRob82
September 27th, 2015, 08:52 PM
I think he's including conference play

@ WIU
v MSU
@ ISUB
v YSU
v NDSU
@ USD
v ISUr
@ UNI

Though I think UNI's is tougher due to h/r split

@ IaSU v EWU @ Cal Poly @ ISUr @ NDSU v WIU @ SDSU v USD v ISUb @ MSU v SIU

Almost everyone in the MVFC played an FBS team, SEMO is terrible, and Liberty is looking OK. I think other MVFC teams could argue a tougher schedule. I would put Cal Poly and EWU up against their FCS non-conf. WIU played EIU and Coastal, that might also be better.

ming01
September 27th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Nice win by JMU. I didnt think they would be able to score enough against a decent SMU offense.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 28th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Neither did most of us ming01. We had not played anyone very difficult this year, so it was hard to measure if the offense was for real. The surprise on Saturday night was the O-line dominance over SMU's D-line that allowed Vad Lee to have his monster game. The containment of their big, strong mobile QB was also better than I expected. An excellent team effort by the Dukes for the win!